Armor repair has no purpose anymore

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I’m not a fan of free armor repairs because it feels like it reduces the impact of deaths from combat. From what I’ve experienced, free armor repair also renders repair canisters relatively useless in most situations outside of fractals and even then, it’s possible to “game” it by exiting and reentering.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I’m not a fan of free armor repairs because it feels like it reduces the impact of deaths from combat. From what I’ve experienced, free armor repair also renders repair canisters relatively useless in most situations outside of fractals and even then, it’s possible to “game” it by exiting and reentering.

I am also not a fan of free armor repairs.

Armor repair costs were great “back in the early days” of GW2 because it was some kind of penalty for dying. The little it cost was actually something noticeable back in those days because every silver piece was precious to us back then. Yet now in the days when that same cost would be a joke in comparison — we don’t even have it anymore. Its been made free. WORSE still — there are people crying over having to talk to an NPC to get it fixed for FREE.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Nothing prevents you destroying a couple of items whenever you die if you feel that it makes the game more fun.

Why would you support having your time wasted?

A question asked of people that spend hundreds and thousands of hours playing a video game.

I take that as you enjoy repairing your armor. Nothing wrong with what. I just find it pretty…. dull.

If you are interested of crying I suggest looking at your own posts.

Also I don’t really understand why anyone would need a reminder of dying when it is already pretty obvious when you die.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

They need to maintain some reason to continue selling repair canisters in the gem store. Also, I would find it unrealistic to never have damaged armor so I’m glad we have to take the walk of shame, even if it’s free.

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

Interesting thoughts here. I always think of it as a gentle reminder of my need to use care in what I do. Especially that #%@$ jumping puzzle amongst the trees… at which I died multiple times. You know, “Play more wisely.” I don’t love the runs to the repair NPC, but I don’t resent them.

It’s good to see other players’ thoughts on the matter.

Anyone else find it slightly disturbing that devs don’t know that falling deaths don’t damage armor?

The only time I ever need to repair my armor is in SW… stupid terragriffs and their nonsensical AOE, damage invulnerability, and stacking dmg kill me at least 3 times a play session.

It’s very possible that she’s referring to Dark Reverie, where being in combat is fairly common due to the seed mortars. Armor taking damage there is not unusual.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Again, if you have to repair your armor enough that it annoys you, then you need to learn how to play the game without dying so much. Feel free to ask for help on the forums.

If you’re complaining about dying too much in WvW. Stop playing WvW. Dying happens in WvW. And it can sometimes happen often if you’re doing things that really help your team.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I see it as Death Penalty like in GW1. Sure, you could remove it by setting foot in town, for free, or carry items to mitigate it (which had gotten pretty cheap and easy to get by Year Five).

It was, however, an incentive to not play sloppy to avoid wasting your time. After all, if death has no consequence, there’s no motivation to change your behavior and just run headlong into the same obstacle until luck smiles on you in pity and lets you progress.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s very possible that she’s referring to Dark Reverie, where being in combat is fairly common due to the seed mortars. Armor taking damage there is not unusual.

Yeah, I hated that place. Never anyone around to pick me up, and I didn’t want to burn Revive Orbs so I would trek BACK through the Spiral (tedious and also punishing at the top even with traits to reduce fall damage) and then into the cavern of Dark Reverie . . . down to the floor and then up again where the last . . . five? . . . jumps were at terminal fall height.

There are only three jumping puzzles I hate more: Clock Tower, Winter Wonderland (even before the latest incarnation) . . . and Grendich Gamble. Not because it’s difficult, but because it’s got very little reward at the top.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I would rather see damaged armor means something, like reduce effectiveness, reduce maximum health….

If each body armor part give some disadvantage upon damage:
head – 5% health reduction
shoulder – 10% armor rating reduction
chest – 5% health reduction
glove – 10% armor rating reduction
legging – 5% run speed reduction (Out of combat)
boot – 5% run speed reduction (Out of combat)

Double the penalty upon broken gear

Just my though, i don’t mind players running in glass gear, but i suppose they should have the corresponding skill, otherwise please at least mix some defense stat.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

When the original blog post about the removal was released, the reason was stated: the time it takes to leave an instance and repair, and return, is sufficient penalty for misplays that result in armor breakage. You can Google the release page or search the GW2 site.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I sort of like the armor breaking systems. It increases immersion a little, and it does create a sense of, “Oh crap, my defense is really low, my chestpiece is almost broken…” I can however agree that the fee being gone is a little bit odd, since it was negligible at best. But I barely even noticed it being gone in the first place, as I just clicked ‘Repair’ without reading anyway.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Interesting thoughts here. I always think of it as a gentle reminder of my need to use care in what I do. Especially that #%@$ jumping puzzle amongst the trees… at which I died multiple times. You know, “Play more wisely.” I don’t love the runs to the repair NPC, but I don’t resent them.

Im fairly certain fall damage doesnt damage armor. Unless youre falling and almost dying then dying to the mobs. You so silly gaile.

No it doesn’t. Well, yes, it does indirectly if there are huge beasties in large numbers below, and your stalker is lounging at a distance, cleaning his paw, and you are so weakened that it’s curtains 4 u.

I see it as Death Penalty like in GW1. Sure, you could remove it by setting foot in town, for free, or carry items to mitigate it (which had gotten pretty cheap and easy to get by Year Five).

It was, however, an incentive to not play sloppy to avoid wasting your time. After all, if death has no consequence, there’s no motivation to change your behavior and just run headlong into the same obstacle until luck smiles on you in pity and lets you progress.

Well put, TT. I’m with you on this.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

My big plan to win everything by beating my face against it until it dies has never worked out because of systems like this.

ANET Y U NO LET ME WINZ WIFF MAH FACE?!

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

My big plan to win everything by beating my face against it until it dies has never worked out because of systems like this.

Three simple steps.

Play a warrior. Find a zerg. Faceroll anything in your path.

naiasonod.9265

Three simple steps.

Play a warrior. Find a zerg. Faceroll anything in your path.

Hurr hurr.

Attachments:

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Gaile Grey is talking about the lava JP in Caledon with the platforms that vanish. You do get armor damage for dying in the lava even after a fall kills you outright!

Best to jump it naked!

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Keep the armor vendors but give the players an option to upgrade each armor piece to make them indestructible, by using various ascended, and kitten mats.

This could be a great way to empty the economy of crafting materials, while giving players the convenience to not waste their time travelling back and forth to an armor vendor.

Posted by: Calcanius.5048

Calcanius.5048

Bring back the cost of reparing armor
Hate the fact that they removed the cost of repating armor because some whined about it being to expensive, i think it was to cheap.
The price was scaled with the rarenest/level of your armor, so the higher level armor the higher the repair cost. ( at max it was only a few silver )
I can not take the people who think it was to expensive serious since even with if you did die a lot, it will only take you a few minutes of killing fluffy animals in any high level area to make a gold and thereby making enough money for all the repairs needed for a full day, hell you can even kill fluffy animals in a starter area and just sell all loot and you will still make more money in a few minutes than you would spend on a whole day of repairs.

So in short: Bring back the repair cost and scale it to match the current inflation of the economy, and stop whining about having to spend a few silver on reparing/travels. When you can make more gold than you would spend on repair/travel, by killing fluffy animals a few minutes a day.

naiasonod.9265

Bring back the cost of reparing armor
Hate the fact that they removed the cost of repating armor because some whined about it being to expensive, i think it was to cheap.
The price was scaled with the rarenest/level of your armor, so the higher level armor the higher the repair cost. ( at max it was only a few silver )
I can not take the people who think it was to expensive serious since even with if you did die a lot, it will only take you a few minutes of killing fluffy animals in any high level area to make a gold and thereby making enough money for all the repairs needed for a full day, hell you can even kill fluffy animals in a starter area and just sell all loot and you will still make more money in a few minutes than you would spend on a whole day of repairs.

So in short: Bring back the repair cost and scale it to match the current inflation of the economy, and stop whining about having to spend a few silver on reparing/travels. When you can make more gold than you would spend on repair/travel, by killing fluffy animals a few minutes a day.

Yeah Anet. Do something stupid and kitten everybody off for no reason other than that you can. That’ll show everyone. Its not like you’re a business and have any need for people to want to spend money on your game or anything.

Sock it to those whiny players. No mercy, Anet. No mercy at all. If there’s a single gold piece left in player hands by the end of the month, you’ve failed at everything.

Attachments:

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Well put, TT. I’m with you on this.

Unfortunately, the way armor breakage works now, it’s NOT an incentive. I can die 8 times before I start losing armor pieces and get affected, 9 times if it decides to poke at the neglected aquabreather again (when are we getting craft recipes for these gaile?). Unless I’m trying to solo content, or my fractal group seriously sucks (like sucks so bad my beeftank guardian, which some friends refer to as my beefsteak guardian, cant even carry the group), it’s nearly impossible to die that much. That means it’s entirely possible to ignore damaged armor until you’re done doing whatever it is you’re doing.

Point is, if armor is at 100%, it should give 100%, if it’s damaged (50% for example), then it should give a correspondingly reduced amount of stats. When it finally breaks, then you’re left with 0% gain. Yet the current system is 100%, 100%, 0%.

So…. who wants to start a suggestion thread on the topic of damaged armor should give reduced stats?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And I had to wipe something like 5 times in a row for the DP in GW1 for it to matter. (Hard Mode, an automatic kick.) And all I’d need to do is kill something and earn some XP to offset that.

It didn’t always come into play . . . except on vanquishing attempts. There it kind of made a big deal. Oh, and Rotscale would usually get me to -60% without much effort going solo just for edging a little too close.

It’s a mechanic to keep people from just ignoring death, which already has very little consequence aside from lost time. You can ignore up to nine strikes on your equipment as you say, before using an anvil. But that means you do have to think “gee, I really need to hit an anvil quickly before jumping back in”.

Not “oh well, doesn’t matter . . . oh wait, I just broke my chest armor” . . .

Wethospu.6437

In GW1 every death had an impact and you couldn’t just waypoint back so it’s not a very good comparison. There is already a mechanic to prevent people just ignoring death. That’s called dying. When you die you no longer can use any skills or deal any damage. If everyone nearby dies the enemy will reset.

Again, if you have to repair your armor enough that it annoys you, then you need to learn how to play the game without dying so much. Feel free to ask for help on the forums.

If you’re complaining about dying too much in WvW. Stop playing WvW. Dying happens in WvW. And it can sometimes happen often if you’re doing things that really help your team.

So in your opinion a player who tries to solo dungeons, fractals or champions should ask help from people who kill moas and other highly dangerous targets?

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

naiasonod.9265

So in your opinion a player who tries to solo dungeons, fractals or champions should ask help from people who kill moas and other highly dangerous targets?

Hey now.

Hey.

Me and …holds up seven fingers …this many of my best friends risked our lives to kill those moas.

We fought for whole minutes. Scrubby died like he always does, and Jimmy couldn’t figure out how to turn auto-run off, so he wound up way off somewhere else. Billy, Bobby and Burble were all watching pr0n and almost died repeatedly for just standing there.

I hit 1 and expertly faced my auto-attacks towards the moas though. They were defeated, though the costs were high and we never did figure out where Leeroy and Larry were. They were with us in spirit.

We have much to teach you, young grasshopper. Learn of our ways.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

In GW1 every death had an impact and you couldn’t just waypoint back so it’s not a very good comparison. There is already a mechanic to prevent people just ignoring death. That’s called dying. When you die you no longer can use any skills or deal any damage. If everyone nearby dies the enemy will reset.

I kill moas, easily. The rabbits however are too much for me.

Attachments:

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I really don’t need to be punished any further when I die. I don’t like dying regardless of cost, avoid it as much as possible and running back from a waypoint or waiting while some generous soul rezzes me is punishment enough.

With repair costs removed, WvW feels a little less intimidating, especially being on a mid-level server and knowing all too well how it feels to get face-rolled again and again and again by massive zergs.

I like the way it is.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: zcearo.1897

zcearo.1897

I crafted myself a spare set of armor . my first time with the point on no return boss it was handy to have it with me .

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

If they removed armor repairing altogether I wonder if they’d leave all the anvils lying around like they did with those crates the missing city herald NPCs used to stand on back in the first season of LS.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It’s not an incentive to not play sloppy. When your armor breaks, you curse yourself for forgetting to repair the last time you saw the NPC.

So all it does is condition people to repair every time they see a repair NPC; which makes it completely worthless as a game mechanic.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

IMO, the way to do it is to make armor lose half its stats on being damaged, so upon dying once, you do take a hit to your stats rather than getting 6 free deaths before it starts to impact you, but it’d be gradual, small losses.

Armor repairs still free or, bring back armor costs, remove waypoint costs, or make waypoint to waypoint travel free (as it is in TESO).

I find traveling around to be worse than armor repair costs ever were, especially with the daily event completers.. since most the events people call out don’t scale up enough they’re done before you can reach them.

IIRC armor repairs USED to be fairly pricey enough to discourage people from even playing certain content like dungeons or WvW where they could anticipate dying a few times if they were inexperienced and the repair bill would be something like 40s (and this was on level 20something characters)

But they were toned down considerably before the game actually launched and were only a few silver per death or something like that.

Armor repairs aside from at that time in beta have never really been a real issue.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

The saddest part of this is that you don’t visually lose any parts of your (completely broken) armour any more either. It looks like the next gem store outfit will be the burka…

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Especially that #%@$ jumping puzzle amongst the trees… at which I died multiple times.

Is that the one which follows from the Morgan’s Spiral one? Yes, that one is evil. Never go there without Mesmers.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

For me, armor repairs are a real inconvenience and have no actual meaning. If I die, it’s already enough “penalty”, because I fail to kill that enemy and have to try again.
Search for and running to that anvil afterwards to click it and have the damaged icon removed is a somewhat silly action, if you think about it. It serves no purpose. I already try very hard to not die in every fight – I would not try less hard if my armor don’t break if I die.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Why can’t someone with the appropriate crafting skills fix their own (or anyone else’s) armor?

But but but, one might say, forge! Loom! Hide stretcher! Or whatever those leather guys use…

To which I say thee, nay! If someone who has no armor crafting skills whatsoever can fix their armor — in the field! — with an instant repair kit, then someone who knows what he or she is doing should be able to improvise something, even without a kit. Especially if he or she is an engineer!

So I submit to you, fellow Guild Wars 2ians — armor damage is a detriment to immersion and should be glossed over just like weapon damage (or the lack thereof). Seyla!

Not to be one of those “but this other game has it” moments, but… That’s how FF14 works. It requires a component (that you can mine for) for the convenience, but it definitely gives crafting more purpose.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

naiasonod.9265

I rate all such systems against the questions ‘Is it fun? What sort of player would this be fun for?’

Its a good pair of questions to ponder about these sorts of things, I think.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

I wish they would reintroduce armor repair costs. I’m serious.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I rate all such systems against the questions ‘Is it fun? What sort of player would this be fun for?’

Its a good pair of questions to ponder about these sorts of things, I think.

True, but often you need a valid sense of failure or adversary to promote the opposite. For example in an online shooter, losing is rarely fun (to many players). Wouldn’t a game where no one loses be much better? Yet it should be obvious that in most shooter layouts this is inherently impossible to achieve and would also rob you of the satisfaction of winning.

One man’s pain is another man’s pleasure. :P

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Basket of Boxes.1976

Basket of Boxes.1976

I just wish they would take the repair canisters out of the black lion chest loot table, there is nothing worse than opening a chest and finding one of those in it, those things are useless. Better yet they are 35 gems or so on the gem store for something that has no real value.

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

No it doesn’t. Well, yes, it does indirectly if there are huge beasties in large numbers below, and your stalker is lounging at a distance, cleaning his paw, and you are so weakened that it’s curtains 4 u.

Does in the harpy fractal

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Nothing prevents you destroying a couple of items whenever you die if you feel that it makes the game more fun.

snip-snip

I never said I found it “fun” to have repair fees, but I do feel that repair fees in some way serve the need to push players to play smarter and be far more aware of their surroundings rather than just have the “oh well, I died” mindset.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

What they should do is have a piece of armour brake in 1 death, and loose its effectiveness right away, or there could be a condition applied to you until your armour is fixed that makes you slower or do less damage, which gets worse the more damage you take before you go get repaired.

The penalty for getting downed multiple times in a row can actually be worse as you have less time to rally after each downing.

Agree with the free cost of repairs, but there should be a penalty for dying, especially several times in a row.

(edited by John.8507)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Honestly, in 2+ years of playing I never used a single instance armor repair canister. I did not do that even when I have a bunch for free available thru AP chests. I do not know who will use that and for that matter who will actually spend gems in buying them.

Also, armor damage does not make me play more cautiously but, longer revival time does.

tl;dr — No cost Armor repair does not add any value to a player’s gameplay experience and possibly does not aid in generating revenue from gemstore. It’s best to remove armor damage concept from the game.

Got 55 of those taking up a spot in one of my character’s inventory. There were times when they could have been used but those were all inside dungeons.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t think it was ever ment to be a gold sink .

To be blunt ;

It is a reminder that you get killed a lot and need some l2p or a tweak to your build.

Well they lowered the gold reward from events and used the removal of repair cost as justification …

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

Gnashblade is giving all the smiths a paid salary so we dont have to pay them for armor repairs.

just because there are free armor repairs doeant mean well be going full kitten mode and die whenever we feel like it (specially in dungeons)

the free armor repair is a part of free trait resets anywhere. It encurages mixing with traits and builds . And personally i like to have that option when im facing various enemies and i cant aford to wp to a city and back for a trait reset.

as for ‘whats the point in even keeping the repair feature’ is still the fact that our armor gets damaged over time and unless we repair it we wont benefit the stats that we get fron the broken armor.
And i like having a short break to the smith after a series of frustrating deaths. Maybe also visit the bank and tp while im at it.

Wethospu.6437

snip-snip

I never said I found it “fun” to have repair fees, but I do feel that repair fees in some way serve the need to push players to play smarter and be far more aware of their surroundings rather than just have the “oh well, I died” mindset.

It’s already “oh well, I died” kind of a situation.

Harsh death penalty only encourages people to play safe instead of trying to challenge themselves and take risks. Doing extremely easy content or running with zergs is far from playing smart.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Trait merchants in newbie maps also serve no purpose and should be removed to avoid confusion

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Anyone else find it slightly disturbing that devs don’t know that falling deaths don’t damage armor?

The only time I ever need to repair my armor is in SW… stupid terragriffs and their nonsensical AOE, damage invulnerability, and stacking dmg kill me at least 3 times a play session.

I find it highly disturbing you would post such a message. Anet employees don’t comment that often and when they do we should welcome them. Instead of nitpicking their chosen words. Maybe Gaile did get hit by a creature on her way down? Who really cares, I’m thankful to see any response at all on the forums from an Anet employee. So thank you Gaile for posting your message.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I think it’s kind of archaic, but I can see the purpose in some regards. I imagine in some contexts it can monetize via repair kits.

Which perhaps a permanent one could be implemented for a premium fee in the BLTC or something, but even then, mixed emotions there.

I would like them to remove armor destruction from WvW, though. Going down and being hard-res’ed during a fight to be brought up with a broken chest piece is kind of awful, seeing as it just makes you a free bag/rallybot a second time.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Someone in this map proposed that travel should be free instead of repairs and I agree 99%.

The game needs some mild gold sinks for the sake of the economy but travel is, imho, too obtrusive. I would like it to be cheaper, maybe not free, but how about:
- free/very cheap on current map, or
- free/very cheap in current area (Kryta, Maguuma)

And armor repair would become the sink instead.
This eould mean that careful play would pay off, the pointless time wasting of free repairs would not be there anymore, and even better new/leveling players would be less affected by the sinks by design (you barely have to repair armor as you level up since you are getting new pieces constantly).

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

naiasonod.9265

I have no interest in harsh death penalties. They do not add to my enjoyment of anything and I do not need that manner of negative reinforcement to ‘teach me’ to not die, thanks.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Travel is too expensive? It’s the value of one to three greens per trip, depending on how far you go.