Ascended gear is something new to aim for

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Zeros across the board for me.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

^ As I said..pretty much rewards that really are worthless and doesn’t increase your power whatsoever. Here’s an example how I see it:

Brian “Hey man! Look at my new mask, what do you think?”
Jason “Not bad, what do does it do? and how long did it take to get it?”
Brian “..Well It took me a few days and it looks awesome!”
Jason “Right..but what type of benefit does it give you? Does it increase the power of your character in any way at all?”
Brian “Well it doesn’t do anything for me at all, it’s just for cosmetic purposes, but it does look good..”
Jason “So let me get this straight, you spent a few days working on getting an item that does absolutely nothing for you at all besides making you look different?”
Brian “Yeah..I guess I did.”

See the problem?

No, I don’t.

You have a particular set of preferences and motivations, and that’s fine. The thing is, not everyone shares in them. And of those who do share in them, many people prioritize them differently.

I’m an immersionist. Aesthetics directly speak to that. An item doesn’t need stat bonuses to be desirable to me. How my character looks affects my play experience, so whether or not an item is “worthless” to me is for me to determine.

Furthermore, content doesn’t need a new-more-powerful-loot reward for me to play it. That’s not a motivator, never has been. I’d rather expand the depth and breadth of a character—what’s been called “horizontal progression”—than be constantly chasing the next, best stat. I want to be able to build, create and explore in an MMO, and none of that has anything to do with constantly upgrading gear. It can actually be a detraction to all of those things.

Your preferences are not universal, and not every MMO has catered to them. Your preferences are not the sole representation of dedication or investment. People who do not share your preferences are not “lazy”, they simply are not motivated by the same things you are.

(edited by Hydrophidian.4319)

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

Yes, Ascended gear is something to aim for, and this is exactly why some people are working for it. If you’re into the gear grind thing, it’s like being tossed a bone, and at least that’s something. The problem is, its now the only thing to aim for.

If you’re not motivated by gear grinds, its just even more depressing, though. At least there’s finally something to aim for.. too bad it’s just mini gear grind. Not exactly the most innovative way they could have gone.

Posted by: asobinin.5467

asobinin.5467

1) 0 – I have full exotics and 100% completion, but I have tons of area still left to play.
2) 0 – I need to grind to get those Ascended gears I don’t like grinding
3) 0 – The line between Exotics and Legendaries was fine. Just like in GW1.
4) 0 – New skins are fine. New tiers are not. If you want to add mechanic, you can add without creating a new tier. And if you’re going to add new tier, it should be easy to obatin, however, I’d not go that road.
5) 0 – Bug fix and skill/class rebalance was my top on the list.

Posted by: androidsheep.4271

androidsheep.4271

I am lv 80, been playing since two weeks after launch and don’t even have full rare. As far as world completion goes I am on about 40%. even if I had full exotic and 100% I doubt I would be bored since there is a lot of content still left to do like dungeons, wvw, pvp or just enjoying playing with people from my guild. hitting the lv cap is not an end to the content like in other games, and if you burned through it in a week and were bored that’s your own problem for treating this like a subscription game.

ascended gear makes me feel like I have fallen behind everyone else. The idea that there may be more tiers of gear means that many people who don’t burn through the content will be forever left behind as they can never catch up. If I feel like the only way to reach the top tier is to play non stop then I simply wont try to make it there, if I don’t make it there and new content is added for the people who do get there I wont be able to see that content. Worse still is that the new gear will affect wvw, which means if I am forever falling behind I will be effectively blocked from participating in one of my favourite parts of the game due to not being able to remain competitive.

I do not enjoy gear treadmills, this is why I don’t play WoW, GW2 was advertised as not having this sort of thing which is the reason I bought it. If you want a gear treadmill go play a game that was advertised as having one, and anet if anyone is listening please make this the last time this sort of thing happens in the game.

As to the last question, I play necro and would rather the devs took a good long look at the class to fix or redo it. fixing traits/skills that don’t do anything or worse, actively hurt my experience, is more important than constantly adding new gear. It also wouldn’t hurt to fix the numerous bugs that have hit skill points and events, and the clipping and camera issues I have had in dungeons where walls and floors disappear. I also wouldn’t mind new armour sets and weapons for lower levels, not a new tier but just a new set at the same tier.

^ As I said..pretty much rewards that really are worthless and doesn’t increase your power whatsoever. Here’s an example how I see it:

Jason “Right..but what type of benefit does it give you? Does it increase the power of your character in any way at all?”
Brian “Well it doesn’t do anything for me at all, it’s just for cosmetic purposes, but it does look good..”
Jason “So let me get this straight, you spent a few days working on getting an item that does absolutely nothing for you at all besides making you look different?”

Tf2 created a multi million dollar economy based entirely on cosmetic hats. for you new cosmetic rewards might seem pointless but for many millions of people they are something to look forward to getting.

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

I’m playing PS2 instead of GW2 at the moment (well, not right now as I’m typing on a forum)…. hows that for answers to the ‘questions’.

Posted by: Sabo.1485

Sabo.1485

See the problem? Maybe you like working for useless items but I sure don’t.

Then go play one of the other THOUSANDS of MMOs that cater to your kind of play and leave this ONE to us.

Finnegan Bhaird – Human Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

1) Score: 0 – Don’t need it/ Don’t want it. However, I appreciate the effort it takes to add new content and realize that not all new content will appeal to my playstyle.

2) Score: 0 – Obtaining ascended gear does not appeal to me in any way, shape, or form. Instead I will be leveling all of my characters and getting them the best armor and weapons I can afford.

3) Score: 0 – The lack of a tier after exotic is something that never bothered me or even occurred to me. The game is barely three months old and we need a level after exotic already? Faster, faster.

4) Score 0: I believe that paid expansion packs will kill this game unless I can outright buy all the fancy stuff instead of having to dungeon crawl for months. I could be wrong though. Look at The Sims franchise – all EPs cost money and they did/are doing very well. They even introduced Stuff Packs that sold well.

5) Score: 0 – I may be in the minority, but I simply like to play the game. I really don’t care about all the glitz and glamour. I do upgrade armor and weapons so my characters can survive. I recently bought a recipe to make a greatsword for my Guardian so off I went to farm the type of lodestone required to make it. The drop-rate is stupidly low. Sorry but I can’t/won’t waste my time farming the same 12 to 24 monsters along with several other people all hoping to get 30 of those suckers so I can make a greatsword. Like it would kill A-net to increase the drop-rate. Seriously.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Yes, this is a perfect example of two people representing two different gameplay styles, where one does not understand the other. This game has been made for Brians of the world, not for Jasons – but now Jasons are going to make sure, that Brians will be laughed at for “working for items that do nothing besides make them look different”

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: han.9042

han.9042

1. 0
2. 0
3. 0
4. 0
5. 0

Posted by: Dreamwalker.3617

Dreamwalker.3617

The problem with the op’s argument is that vertical progression exists in just about ever other mmo. The WHOLE POINT of GW2 is to be something different. It was advertised as a revolutionary game that would change the future of mmos.

And now, people want to turn this game into WoW 2.0.

I’m just wondering why you guys bought this game, if you knew the devs were against grinds and gear progression.

That was so funny, I laughed twice.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
5) 0

This is a FTP game paid expansions are the way to go imo not cobbled together gamebreaking “free” content. (I say 0 because they shouldn’t be used to bring in more exclusion and elitism)

The sad thing is, this game is already full of exclusion and elitism towards players who enjoy vertical progression, and it’s posts like yours which prove it.

elitists go both ways.

See manifesto. This game was designed without much thought to vertical gear progression, it was designed as a fly swatter to content locusts such as yourself.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

How true are the following statements for you on a scale of 0 to 5?

To echo others:

1) 0 / 5
2) 0 / 5
3) 0 / 5
4) 0 / 5
5) 0 / 5

I like the new dungeon and the new map – but we don’t need something that big every month. Large expansions opening up more of Tyria a couple of times a year is what will keep me playing.

No need to release updates hastily! Polish before releasing, please! Test servers are your friend!

Vzur.7123

This game is in dire need of some endgame progression, IMO, but that doesn’t mean it needs to be vertical progression. They could give people all sorts of sandbox goals to work for, or whatever else. They started off trying to think outside the box, now’s the worst possible time to try crawling back into it.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

1) I felt like I had little to do once my main character hit level 80, I got full exotic gear and 100% world completion. By the time of the patch my enthusiasm for the game had already lost a lot of momentum and I was really looking forward to new content.

2) Obtaining ascended gear gives me something new to aim for and boosts/refreshes my enthusiasm for GW2.

3)The lack of a tier after exotic is something that always bothered me. I feel that equipping my toon with better and better gear is something I look forward to in a game and that element was missing from GW2.

4) I believe that future paid expansion packs should introduce new tiers of gear.

5) In my wishlist of things to come for GW2 three months after its release (new areas/foes/weapons/events/skills, fixing bugs, tweaking class balance, anything at all) the introduction of a tier slightly better than exotic ranked pretty high.

1)4
2)5
3)2
4) Ascended should be the last tier.
5) I do not want anymore higher gear tiers. I do want new weps and skills etc.

Basically this 1 tier is just enough. More stuff to do and things to aim for that’s it.
Some people have more than 2 hours a week to enjoy this game so they get things done and get bored with stuff alot faster…, I am only on fractal lvl 11 while people are on difficulty 23 with 2 rings and backpiece ascended. I got no ascended items so far. I am not bothered one bit. So far it hasn’t stopped me and soon enough I will get my items, they are fairly easy to get as well. Tbh I’d have them but I prioritize my legendary hunt over ascended atm. I just keep playing my own game and not worry about others.
People moan for stupid reasons. ‘Anet lied’, ‘I have to keep up with other playerz!!’
Get over it and move on, this is how it is and they’re never going to change the ascended items stats or whatever lol. They can only NOT bring out any more gear tiers, which I hope they really don’t, it would get really silly. New zones/skills/events/races is what I hope for.
Now decide do you want to play the game with this new gear tier ? You don’t ? then get out and stop moaning. You wanna keep playing ? go play then…

People moan for stupid reasons, “Anet Lied”. Are you f’ing serious being lied to is ok with you is it ok with you when, when your dad says your his son, your girlfriend says she’s been faithful. Grow the F up lying is never Ok and in real life will get you fired, divorced and or a swift kick in the butt.

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

1) I felt like I had little to do once my main character hit level 80, I got full exotic gear and 100% world completion. By the time of the patch my enthusiasm for the game had already lost a lot of momentum and I was really looking forward to new content.

2 — I have 4 level 80s, two world 100% and I’m in a position to get 4 world 100% if I wanted, I’m an alt-a-holic ~ playing the game from different story perspectives, gearing each character out in exotic gear and doing regular dungeons for better looking armor, there was still plenty to do. The patch actually reduced the amount of content in game because players are now forced to stick with one main character and farm – farm – farm – farm – fotm – fotm – fotm

2) Obtaining ascended gear gives me something new to aim for and boosts/refreshes my enthusiasm for GW2.

0 — It actually makes me what to quit GW2, the infused ascended gear requires an almost sickening amount of materials/gold and a very lengthy amount of time grinding in a dungeon that requires people in the very best gear and skillful players, especially true after scale 10 when trash mobs hit harder than bosses.

3)The lack of a tier after exotic is something that always bothered me. I feel that equipping my toon with better and better gear is something I look forward to in a game and that element was missing from GW2.

0 — Exotic Tier was the equivalent to epic items in other games, why add another teir? Especially since you can’t add superior runes on them, only infusions so how long before we start seeing higher and higher level infusions with bonuses on them? My friends, the gear treadmill has only just begun…

4) I believe that future paid expansion packs should introduce new tiers of gear.

0 — You need to understand what tiered gear actually means. WoW tier gear means not a new type but just a better gear level. Adding in a new tier after ascended is just stupid.

5) In my wishlist of things to come for GW2 three months after its release (new areas/foes/weapons/events/skills, fixing bugs, tweaking class balance, anything at all) the introduction of a tier slightly better than exotic ranked pretty high.

0 — Many events are still bugged, class balance is abysmal – bots and exploiters not banned, many skills still not working as intended and/or broken. Two badly done events, Lost Shores event being a complete disaster, introduction of ascended gear and vertical progression which was not supposed to happen, bait and switch tactics of NCSoft.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: Bovive.8946

Bovive.8946

1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
5) 0

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

1) No

2) Yes

3) No and yes.

4) Yes – You can’t just do just “one more” gear tier – it just doesn’t work that way. It is the reason wow keeps adding more stats. It would be quicker on them to just do one, but at this point you can’t stop. Same thing will happen to GW2, they are only delaying it with prolonging the release of full ascended sets.

5) Yes, especially the bugs part.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
5) 0

I bought this game as Anet promised no vertical gear progression. I didn’t want it then, I don’t want it now.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

15 charakters

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Posted by: Striker.9413

Striker.9413

1) – 10.
2) – 8 (it’s exciting, but not super exciting. This sort of thing I feel is standard for progression)
3) – 10
4) – 0 (no payed expansions, please.)
5) – 5 (I was more interested in class balance and the addition of more misc. items to collect and things to craft with them therefore, but an extra gear tier is ok I suppose)

I’m not one of those GW1 hipsters, by the way. I like my games with meaningful content.

1) Agreed.. No issue with it 8
2) Agreed.. Yep.. I dont mind the idea – Im not interested in then just running around doing the same thing. 10
3)It hasnt always bothered me.. I did feel we just reach a brick wall though.. However I would prefer more expansions first and then perhaps moving the wall up after a
longer period of time. 6
4) Agreed (But after a good length of time) 10
5) As long as we get some new areas first for free over a good period of time I have no issues if it keeps the game alive 8

The people saying 0 0 0 0 0 just need to chuck there gameing pcs out the window.

As for me

It seems several of the people who agree with the statements have trouble with reading.

Five 0s for me.

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

1)0
2)0
3)0
4)0
5)0

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

1) (Little to do, looking forward to new content): 3

I had still a lot of dungeons to do. But I am glad about the fractals.

2) (Obtaining ascended gear gives me something new to aim for and boosts/refreshes my enthusiasm for GW2. ): 0

3) (wanting better and better gear): 0

In fact, when I started playing, that would have been something like 4 or 5. But GW2 convinced me: it is possible and much more relaxing to play without a gear treadmill.

4) (new expansion packs = new gear tiers): 0

5) (ascended gear was a high priority change): 0

(edited by Claudius.5381)

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

The people typing 0 on everything obviously doesnt take time to think it through and only type 0 becouse their fanboys.

1) 5
2) 0, GW2 is not aboout gear grinding and never will be. That is why my enthusiasm will never go up, no matter how much things they add, its not a gear progression or character progression game. It thought they would have something else for us at endgame, but its just a big void. 100% map is not endgame.
3) 5
4) 2,5 Either or, it doesnt matter, gear progression players wont come back.
5) – same as above

(edited by Selo.1250)

Posted by: Mhyrria.4160

Mhyrria.4160

Brian “Well, it gives me uber power and to further show how much I am good gamer since I can grind for more hours than most people. And with this, I will grind for another item for the same exact reason”
Jason “So let me get this straight, you spent a few days grinding for an item that feeds your e-pen and makes you stronger so you can repeat the cycle again”

Fixed it for you.

Vzur.7123

Brian “Well, it gives me uber power and to further show how much I am good gamer since I can grind for more hours than most people. And with this, I will grind for another item for the same exact reason”
Jason “So let me get this straight, you spent a few days grinding for an item that feeds your e-pen and makes you stronger so you can repeat the cycle again”

Fixed it for you.

Hey, why not take it even further:
Brian: “Hey, I’m playing this cool new video game, and-”
Jason: “Who the hell cares about what happens in a video game? Why don’t you do something real, or at least go outside once in a while.”

Posted by: Dreamwalker.3617

Dreamwalker.3617

^this

It’s just a game. Get over it.

That was so funny, I laughed twice.

Posted by: Fidjit.4162

Fidjit.4162

1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
5) 0

I’m nowhere near done with the content that GW2 already offers, and I have no interest in gear whatsoever. The only reason I looked forward to getting full exotics was so I’d never have to think about gearing up again… well, before the patch, of course.

Posted by: Rhydian.5412

Rhydian.5412

You know what else would be new? Introducing a catheter in my pork sword. Would I like it probably not, Ball clamps would also be new as well as a butt plug coated in sand paper those things would also be new. Do I want any of those things? I want those things about as much as I want to watch Steel magnolias while playing with myself with barbed wire.

So believe me when I tell you I want gear loot windows and raid style content about as much as I want rectal exam with a blow torch. I don’t want to even see raider locusts like you in game, or have these conversations, I want to spend time listening to gear grinder QQ about new gear, worrying about gear windows, grinding endless Fking hours either getting or preparing to get Phat lootz just to play the game with a group of Shead MFer kitten Raiders on teamspeak and much as I want to smash my crotch with a hockey stick followed by a fierce pounding with a rusty meat cleaver.

I would like you locusts to go to a game like EVE and explain to then how they “need” gear grinds to stay relevant or what a smash up job introducing that crap to UO and DAOC did for those games populations and how people always talk about how great the game was before some kitten introduced gear grinding so a bunch of WOW locusts could stand AFK in town with new stats and talk about each others moms on trade chat.

We came here to get AWAY from you mfkers not spend quality time with you.

(edited by Rhydian.5412)

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

^ In tears, thank you for the laugh.

Posted by: matenzo.9518

matenzo.9518

You know what else would be new? Introducing a catheter in my pork sword. Would I like it probably not, Ball clamps would also be new as well as a butt plug coated in sand paper those things would also be new. Do I want any of those things? I want those things about as much as I want to watch Steel magnolias while playing with myself with barbed wire.

[….]

We came here to get AWAY from you mfkers not spend quality time with you.

Jeez Rhydian that was a “passionate” post.

People on both sides of the argument are getting increasingly hostile both in and off-game and that hardly does the community any good.

I didn’t intend to answer my own questioner but after reading your post what the hell. Feel free to check my post history as well if you like.

1) 3/5 My enthusiasm for the game has been draining for some time now. While that is perfectly normal there are three main factors that significantly accelerated the process:

• my ranger main has played exactly the same since the third week after the game’s release. My endeavours experimenting with builds outside the cannon (shortbow bleed, berserker longbow+traps) have been neither fruitful nor fun. I actually have no complaints about the relative efficiency of the class but I find it lacks variety. I like focusing on a single character so I guess that’s partly my bad. I do however have to point out that my necro in GW1 had over half a dozen fully distinct builds for endgame content and plenty more that were tons of fun in casual pve.
  • I wasn’t really that impressed with my personal story in the first place (I come from a single-player RPG background) but I was simply appalled once I reached the Traherne part of my story. Not only did I feel like it rendered all my previous choices inconsequential but I became painfully aware that it played out pretty much the same for every other player/race/class. I was also shocked by how anticlimactic the Zaitan fight was and frankly couldn’t care less about any of the Destiny’s Edge.
  • by now my buddies in real life have moved on to other games and my favourite guild has been essentially inactive since mid-october. I joined another, more active guild, but it’s not the same. I also had to dump 2 guilds cause all they seem to do nowadays is farm FotM and frankly that alienated me significantly.

2) 1/5 I’d like to get the quiver for my ranger (I’m referring to the skin not the stats) but I doubt I’ll ever be able to gather the mats required unless I actively start grinding dungeons, FotM or orichalchum and I have no intention of doing any of that. Even though I have several hundred hours invested in the game I never had that kinda resources since the stuff I enjoy doing (like helping guildies story mode dungeons, getting map completion or their personal story) are not rewarding resource or karma -wise. I also have to point out that the three ascended items currently in game already give an extra 5% critical damage that makes a significant improvement considering I run a crit build.

3) 2/5 I generally love the feeling of being able to progress my crafting disciplines but I would happily settle for crafting fancier skins rather than better gear stat-wise. I do need something to refresh my interest in crafting but the latest patch did nothing to address that and vertical progression is obviously not the only/best answer anyway.

4) 1/5 tons of new skins and weapon types instead. I wouldn’t be too bummed out if they introduced a new tier a couple of years from now but I’d rather they didn’t. Three months was way too soon and there should have been a longer notice so that people don’t waste money on exotics.

5) 0/5 It was at not even on my list. There are so many bugs and class balancing issues plus WvWvW and sPvP require immediate attention. Sadly I think that releasing a new tier of gear in the midst of all those pre-existing issues will only complicate things.

Quit jumping to conclusions and try to keep it civil.

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

1) 1
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
5) 0

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0

Edit: Let me elaborate on 1): Yes, new content is always welcome – but that simply doesn’t mean that I felt bored after I hit 80. For one thing, I only reached my 100% world completion a couple of days ago. For another – I have quite a lot of alts clamoring for attention. I also haven’t done all the jumping puzzles yet, or done much dungeon content. I simply have so much left to do that I couldn’t get bored just yet. Instead, I’m happy I don’t feel quite so sucked into the game anymore so I can actually sit back, relax, take it slow – and focus on important rl stuff for a while.

Polka will never die

(edited by Frotee.2634)

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

The people typing 0 on everything obviously doesnt take time to think it through and only type 0 becouse their fanboys.

We don’t, actually – some people just have different standards, interests and goals. And a life :P
Also, I couldn’t be a fanboy, for I’m a woman.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Lianna.6980

Lianna.6980

1) 1
2) 0
3) 1
4) 2
5) 0

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Okay, I’ve fully thought it through. My response is zero on everything. I loved the game as it was before the patch. I could actually enjoy wvwvw.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Dredlockrasta.8269

Dredlockrasta.8269

I tried to leave WoW, but now it has influenced this game into a gear treadmill.

Begun the Hamster wheel wars has.

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
5) 0

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
5) 0

This is a FTP game paid expansions are the way to go imo not cobbled together gamebreaking “free” content. (I say 0 because they shouldn’t be used to bring in more exclusion and elitism)

The sad thing is, this game is already full of exclusion and elitism towards players who enjoy vertical progression, and it’s posts like yours which prove it.

elitists go both ways.

But the players who enjoy vertical progression should have known in advance of buying this product that it wouldn’t be here. Instead, they came here, they complained, they received and will still leave while those who came here for the opposite and what was advertised are now leaving or atleast not logging in. Only speaking of what I have seen in my circle. Outside of that I can’t speak on.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

BTW:

1) 0
2) 0
3) 0
4) 0
5) 0