Aside from being "fun" there is no real goal

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: uperkurk.4673

uperkurk.4673

So I’m level 80 now and running around orr killing crap and doing WvW and sPvP, but here is my problem, in every other mmo I’ve played there is a common goal that everyone is working towards. I log on and play some WvW, 100man zerg vs 100man zerg killing forts, gaining tons of xp, mimumum karma. Hoping the get the finish on the enemy, hope to get a honor badge or 2.

sPvP, run around capturing flag points, gaining PvP xp which in all fairness does abslolutely nothing. So I ask, what is the goal of the game here? To log on day after day and do 100man zergs?

I never get the chance to fight someone 1 on 1, or 2 v 3 or something because in WvW it’s just massive groups vs other massive groups which boils down to button spamming and aoel rules all.

SPvP is boring as hell too, so I finally get my nightmare armor, can’t even use it in PvP only in WvW :/ where on the grand scale of it, the armor you wear really doesn’t make much difference when it comes to surviving.

Create another map, which once you hit level 80, you can go to which has quests like kill x amount of gunnar’s hold infiltrators. You get 2k karma and some pvp buff potions or something… and fyi, the karma level 80 exotic gear should be SIGNIFICANTLY better than the pve dungeon or crafted gear. So the effort of saving up 200k karma actually makes it worth it, rather than buying a full set of crafted gear for 10g which is better than the karma stuff….

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

(edited by marianitten.1247)

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

I’ve seen some 5-10 man groups in WvW taking everything that wasn’t near the zerg. These guys seem to have found a purpose and a better way to play than the people in that Zerg.

SPvP is for PvP’ers, the reward is trashing other people, if you don’t enjoy it anymore then don’t do it.

Guild Wars in itself levels the playing field in terms of stats and armor bonuses. If you are looking for a more powerful armor or weapon that no one else has so you can then go and faceroll them, this isn’t the right place for you. Playing the game well is what is rewarded not the piece of armor you put on. Most GW players understand this and they want the skin that no one else has. The one that took them six months to save up for, that is the reward.

The journey is the game. Did you enjoy the journey?

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Why can’t “fun” be a goal?

Tradewind.6913

Uhh because fun is not a goal, rather an adjective used to describe something? Are you stupid?

This being an MMORPG, progression is usually the most fun part. The feeling of power growing and accumulating new skills and abilities.

When you figure out how to sit there and do “fun” you let me know how I can do the samekitten

Hostile much? That’s your definition maybe, if becoming a precious snowflake e-star on video games is somehow “fun,” then yeah I could see how you’re having trouble achieving that goal.

For other people it’s playing a game with friends. Doing some dungeons, some pvp and having a good time. I’m sorry you’ve forgotten how to do that or obviously made a bad purchasing decision when you didn’t read up on what this game is offering you.

PS. if you’re going to be indignant or call other people stupid, might want to make sure your snide commentary is accurate. The word “fun” isn’t just limited to acting as an adjective.

(edited by Tradewind.6913)

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

“Aside from being “fun” there is no real goal"

…So?

Personally I’m fine with that. It’s ok if not everyone is. If infinite progression is what you want out of a game, there are plenty of other games that offer it. Each to their own. Just because this is an MMORPG, though, doesn’t mean it has to work on the same principles as every other one. It just has to be massively multi-player and be a role-playing game. Check.

Posted by: robot.9134

robot.9134

Why does everything have to be black and white? “fun” is pretty subjective and vague.

If what you mean by fun is ….no gear grind and rewardless events…then they can be and ARE fun….they just don’t have reply value unless there is a reason to continue to play those events. You can only do an event so many times before its old…

Posted by: Jordan.6157

Jordan.6157

…So?

Personally I’m fine with that. It’s ok if not everyone is. If infinite progression is what you want out of a game, there are plenty of other games that offer it. Each to their own. Just because this is an MMORPG, though, doesn’t mean it has to work on the same principles as every other one. It just has to be massively multi-player and be a role-playing game. Check.

Call of Duty so popular because of progression through ranking. World of warcraft so popular because of progression through gear. Starcraft so popular because of progression through ranking. Only reason I play sPvP and haven’t given up on the same maps again and again is because I get a buzz from ranking. We all strive for progression and it is what makes games soo popular.

Each guild wars 2 is gonna be successful and please the majority of people it needs a bit of progression. I hate to admit it…. it sucks… but it does. Otherwise a massive majority of players looking for their gear weed will go back to WoW and you may have what you want with a better community and all… but poor arenanet will lose out on alot of MONEYS!

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Uhh because fun is not a goal, rather an adjective used to describe something? Are you stupid?

This being an MMORPG, progression is usually the most fun part. The feeling of power growing and accumulating new skills and abilities. Not that I mind some more progression content. And calling people stupid over this – seriously?

When you figure out how to sit there and do “fun” you let me know how I can do the samekitten

actually, it is a noun and fun cannot be a goal? why do you watch your favorite sitcom or sports events? Do you accomplish anything there?

Tradewind.6913

sports events

Maybe he’s a Cubs fan?

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

This is the first game I’ve played where the fanboys dismiss any criticism as people “not getting it”. People shouldn’t have to read a forum post to learn how to enjoy the game – the game itself has to do that. ANet cut off a lot of stale concepts of traditional MMOs while making GW2 – ok, great, but what are you going to offer instead? What’s going to fill this new void? If you have pain in your leg, you don’t chop the whole thing off – you go to a doctor to fix it up. This is what GW2 feels like to me – a man who refused to go to the doctor and chopped off his limbs because they weren’t working right.

Tradewind.6913

Is this going to turn into a “stop liking what I don’t like” thread?

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

Otherwise a massive majority of players looking for their gear weed will go back to WoW and you may have what you want with a better community and all… but poor arenanet will lose out on alot of MONEYS!

Ideal situation: lots of people buy the game (done!), try it, if they don’t like the lack of numerical progression then yes, they go back to WoW. Thanks for giving GW2 a chance and paying for the game! Meanwhile, many of us who like cosmetic distinctions between character and undirected play stay, AND (we can hope) a number of people who wouldn’t play WoW play GW2 exactly because it doesn’t work the same.

WoW and GW2 can and should co-exist. They offer different things.

Tradewind.6913

It’s also not as if people are suggesting that everyone who doesn’t like it to just kitten off and never come back. Try it again later on, maybe after new content is released. The advantage being, you’re not months behind on loot, you have no subscription, everything is there for you when you get back.

Posted by: Pirhana.8935

Pirhana.8935

i find that WvW is a good goal, it basically building your character so you can go and fight for your server. Once i got in a good WvW guild i had alot more fun. Every night they would take a tower close to the enemies port in. Owning the tower and seeing your guild emblem gives the sense that its yours so you feel like you HAVE to defend it. Trying to upgrade it, getting supply caravans and defending from constant attacks was unending fun and felt like you had a huge PURPOSE there

Posted by: Arius.7031

Arius.7031

This being an MMORPG, progression is usually the most fun part. The feeling of power growing and accumulating new skills and abilities.

Talk about it in the sense of “having fun”, and it’s a noun. You can “do fun” by trying to… “have fun”. If your goal is to have fun, you can achieve that by playing this game, or doing anything else that is fun. And so having “fun” is a very doable thing. Your point is either pure semantics and thus completely useless, or you’re completely wrong, and thus completely useless.

Don’t play stupid semantics games, it makes you look like an idiot (especially when you call others idiots).

Jorek/Etharin/Raylus
Darkhaven Commander
Co-leader of [Sold]

(edited by Arius.7031)

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

i find that WvW is a good goal, it basically building your character so you can go and fight for your server. Once i got in a good WvW guild i had alot more fun. Every night they would take a tower close to the enemies port in. Owning the tower and seeing your guild emblem gives the sense that its yours so you feel like you HAVE to defend it. Trying to upgrade it, getting supply caravans and defending from constant attacks was unending fun and felt like you had a huge PURPOSE there

I’m just now learning how to WvW and having a blast. I usually can’t stand PvP (save for maybe WG in WoW and Darkness Falls in DAoC), but decided to go out a few days ago just to see how hard it was going to be to get all those spots for exploration (if that was going to be an issue, I wouldn’t have bothered with the rest of the world), and really started getting into it. I still have no idea what I’m doing, but I’m learning the lingo, recognizing good leaders and commands, learning how to get supplies, repair things, etc, etc. Lot left to learn, but I’m getting better at it!

Posted by: Drakos.3510

Drakos.3510

Karma items are cosmetic. You farm them because you want to look awesome. This is Guild Wars.

If you’re playing a game, and the only goal you have is “max stat loot” then this will be a short ride for you. Get to 80 and buy the appropriate set of choice for 10-20g or, if you’re unfortunate, run dungeons for sets with stat itemization that doesn’t appear on crafted sets.

Retire until expansion.

But, that isn’t really how I feel the developers intended this game to be played. Find something or someplace fun and do that. Play some WvW, Kite a Priestess of Dwayna across Orr, play tag in Divinity’s Reach. Do what appeals to you. If nothing appeals to you, retire. No one’s judging you.

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

In most MMO endgame this growth is illusionary. Sure, your stronger gear trivialises earlier content but any new content will be scaled to counter any ‘power growth’ your character has apparently had with better gear. Or do you seriously think a crab on the beach of Pandaria in WoW is so badkitten it could solo Magtheradon.

Its continual inflation of both gear and mob level, not difficulty. This compares to GW and GW2 as these two games use prestige, appearance, titles to show progresssion through content and difficulty. It also makes a world that is very explorable.

The depth and detail of their world and its lore make it a massive thing to pick apart and poke around. These arent things you get from ticking off a checklist. Some of the most interesting areas Ive found had no PoI, Vista or notable map markers on them but were found cause I found a almost hidden path at the back of an unnoted area.

Now I dont think there is a huge amount of ‘endgame’ content. Im fortunate enough that exploring the world without getting hung up on map completion has been keeping me very entertained. I do think when the DEs work that Orr shows potential for what DE focused content could be. Some of the fights for the temples have been alot of fun.

I dont however think enforcing progression based of gear inflation is a good idea and I dont think that focusing too much on checklists to tick off will do the game justice.

Posted by: Whiteblade.1504

Whiteblade.1504

Why bother playing a game if you don’t intend to at least have fun? Its not like you are making money off the game, it is something to do as a means to pass the time and not much else like every other game in the world.

uperkurk.4673

The way I say it is this how goals should be set to the player.

Get to max level
Run instances to get pve gear
Use that pve gear to get pvp gear
Dominate with pvp gear

Also it wouldn’t be so bad if you could get karma from spvp. Secondly, I hate that world v world is literally zerg or nothing.

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

“A reward other than higher numbers? Preposterous!” said no self-respecting gamer ever.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Hidon.4680

Hidon.4680

Was there ever a goal other than having fun?

Posted by: Bassario.3465

Bassario.3465

Pixels!! Your pixels need to be better than everyone else’s pixelskittenit! Until your pixels are superior to all you must NEVER STOP! GRIIIIIIIIIINNNNDDD!

No, seriously tho. PvP is fun! The guy is right tho it needs to lead to some unique rewards, ones you could take back to the pve world, or even ones u could bring in from the pve world even if its just purely aesthetic, that would be great.

WvWvW I still can not make up my mind on… it’s a bit too early to tell as I am not max lvl yet, and I believe its being screwed over by a bunch of frivolous ppl who are not settled into guilds yet and keep server hopping to get on the more dominant servers. HOWEVER ONE THING IS FOR CERTAIN: Not having mounts in the game, walking for 5 min to get to a battle in WvWvW running into a group of baddies and getting murdered to find yr nearest waypoint it the one u came from… is NOT fun, and NO one can ever dispute that.

uperkurk.4673

totally agree, running for 5mins to get back to a battle you just died at, only to find the fight is over and you’ve now lost your roaming squad and unable to find them for 15mins. spamming in /t asking where everyone is. Finding out they are bashing a fort somewhere and you set out the meet them, get killed on the way after running on foot for 5mins.

It seems like I spend more of my time running across the map trying to catch upto my roaming group rather than actually pvp’ing. Imo WvWvW is not pvp.

Posted by: Bassario.3465

Bassario.3465

Hmmm.. May have to rename to WvWvWvC the C stands for Cardio….

Posted by: skstylez.1526

skstylez.1526

I remember I used to play games to have fun. And i’ll probably do it again tomorrow

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

Wow. If your ultimate goal while playing video games is not “to have fun” but to “feel the power growing”, it is time for you to call for help. And I say that seriously.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

progression was never fun to me. it was always a chore so i could get to the “real” thing. i enjoy looking forward to aesthetic upgrades. becoming more powerful through gearing stinks. this is probably just me….

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

nerva

progression was never fun to me. it was always a chore so i could get to the “real” thing. i enjoy looking forward to aesthetic upgrades. becoming more powerful through gearing stinks. this is probably just me….

It’s not. The whole “you can’t do this dungeon/raid/whatever unless your armor gives you x amount of superpowers” crap is pretty stupid. I honestly don’t see why anyone would like it.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

Um, what goal should there be other than having fun?

The reason I quit playing the game that shall not be named is because it had stopped being fun and felt like work. That’s the reason I stop playing any game.

I’m all about fun. And viscious commentary.

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

The game that shall not be named requires people to stick for years paying a sub. No surprise they subliminally brainwash a “worker” mentality and make grinding for the sake of grinding something good.
Luckily enough there are other games that don’t do that, players who come from other gaming venues don’t have the blinders, don’t feel like “working for a goal” (smells so much of American work class theories anyway) is an asset or a value.

GW2 has a smart business model, those who want to grind for goals can pay today, get the goals and return to wherever they came from (and ANet still keeps their already paid money). Those who want to play for fun just stay and have fun. All are happy, except the grind-grind-grind people who love to pay to be punished with more grinding. Those will find their happiness only back to their slaver previous games, let them go.

Posted by: symke.3105

symke.3105

The game that shall not be named requires people to stick for years paying a sub. No surprise they subliminally brainwash a “worker” mentality and make grinding for the sake of grinding something good.
Luckily enough there are other games that don’t do that, players who come from other gaming venues don’t have the blinders, don’t feel like “working for a goal” (smells so much of American work class theories anyway) is an asset or a value.

GW2 has a smart business model, those who want to grind for goals can pay today, get the goals and return to wherever they came from (and ANet still keeps their already paid money). Those who want to play for fun just stay and have fun. All are happy, except the grind-grind-grind people who love to pay to be punished with more grinding. Those will find their happiness only back to their slaver previous games, let them go.

This is the mentality that destroys MMO community. Insted of accepting that someone might not have enough fun and would want some improvements to be made, you are call them slaves.
What are you, then? A sheep for accepting whatever is put on your plate?

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

“What are you, then? A sheep for accepting whatever is put on your plate?”

For sure I am a “what” who have more fun than you do.

Also, I am playing sandbox MMORPGs since the early 2000, I accept whatever I put on my plate and love games that have mechanics that let me do so.
In WoW it’s just impossible not to need to “grind to powerup” because whatever you do, you just won’t have the same chances (be it being unable to clear raid content because “pre-requisite gear with enough stats and health” is required or because grinder PvPers have way better armor than casual PvPers coming from battlegrounds).

In GW2 these grind based discriminations don’t apply, people win or lose because they are good or bad not because they had 1000 hours on their hands.

symke.3105

To Vaerah: “For sure I am a “what” who have more fun than you do.”

Are you sure? You’ve obviously been sitting behind my back while I play, for you to know how much fun I have.
I do have fun, but I would have even more fun if the game was better (IMO).
You obviously have enough fun as it is. But is it impossible for you to even think of a situation where you could have even more fun with GW2? Do you really just buy anything that is handed to you as the best?

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

Many of us have been advocating literally for years for a game to break out of the skinner box gear-grind mindset and get back to, as ANET put it in their latest video, “a deeply customizable role-playing experience”. Many of us had literally stopped playing the genre years ago because of the skinner-box mentality design. I personally have been blogging about the genre and making game-design and content suggestions for years in my blog on MMORPG.com.

We’ve been clamoring for something like GW2 for years; now, we’re defending against those who would turn it into the same carrot-and-stick as any other MMOG out there. I hardly think calling us “sheep” is appropriate.

Do you really just buy anything that is handed to you as the best?

You say that as if many of us didn’t pass on AION, RIFT, SWTOR, TERA because those games did not serve our interests, and bought GW2 because its design was what we’d been looking for for years. Because we defend what we love about GW2 and advocate against fundamental design changes we know we do not enjoy from experience hardly means we just accept whatever is put in front of us as “the best”.

(edited by Wintyre Fraust.6534)

Posted by: Elydian.1763

Elydian.1763

Because the PvE after 80 is not fun.

Unless you think doing the same content over and over again is fun.

Posted by: boris.1248

boris.1248

The real problem in my opininon is the statement of taking the classic mmo and replacing it with something better is half-complete. The game does the first part and breaking the classic mmo rules however there is a big hole there can only be replaced by some clever inventions and innovation which is not there at the moment. I am ok with breaking the rules but give me something to play, something i desire to do often and make it something new.

symke.3105

Many of us have been advocating literally for years for a game to break out of the skinner box gear-grind mindset and get back to, as ANET put it in their latest video, “a deeply customizable role-playing experience”. Many of us had literally stopped playing the genre years ago because of the skinner-box mentality design. I personally have been blogging about the genre and making game-design and content suggestions for years in my blog on MMORPG.com.

We’ve been clamoring for something like GW2 for years; now, we’re defending against those who would turn it into the same carrot-and-stick as any other MMOG out there. I hardly think calling us “sheep” is appropriate.

Do you really just buy anything that is handed to you as the best?

You say that as if many of us didn’t pass on AION, RIFT, SWTOR, TERA because those games did not serve our interests, and bought GW2 because its design was what we’d been looking for for years. Because we defend what we love about GW2 and advocate against fundamental design changes we know we do not enjoy from experience hardly means we just accept whatever is put in front of us as “the best”.

The “sheep” comment was meant as a way to show that anyone can insult with a word. “Slaves” or “sheep”. It’s basically the same kitten.

You are talking about “deeply customizable role-playing experience”. Well there is no deep, rarely some customizable and very little RP elements in GW2. Combat is extremely focused and offers almost none personification. Progress is virtually no-existent. Simply a new level number and that’s it. Any many more…
But of course all of that is my personal opinion. Like you have yours.

I just cannot understand how anyone (I still play and enjoy the game) can say that something doesn’t need improvement. Is it perfect? Of course no. It’s just a game. What about some critical (positive critical) attitude? Because, constructive criticism is what develops new and improved games. GW2 is different because you, yourself, have been clamoring towards that. Now give us (those who would like to change it for the better) the same option. According to you, anything they do from now on is going to make it worse.
Even your partner in real life, which you love, isn’t perfect. And you daily, weekly or monthly find ways to make them understand that :P. If you do it in a nice or stupid way, it’s up to you.

What, imo, GW2 lacks in a big way is more ways of customization, more options.

I’ve seen so many “carrot and stick” comments, and they serve nothing else but to insult those others that don’t see it your way. There is a carrot and a stick in this game. Just wait for a few more months to see it.

Posted by: Elydian.1763

Elydian.1763

“Skinner box”.

This term is being thrown around way too easily in response to people constructively criticising the game.

When I quit WoW, I too was guilty of throwing this term around a lot.

However, from what I’ve read of people criticising GW2’s endgame, it’s not because they want a Skinner box.

(As an aside, for people who are curious as to what “Skinner box” means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber)

What people want is a sense of further progress after reaching 80. This absolutely does not mean they automatically want an artificial reward system for logging in. What they want is for there to still be fresh challenges to keep them going more-or-less until the next PvE content is released. The game in its current state does not offer this, as the current PvE endgame does not offer significant challenge to the point where it can’t be immediately beaten by even half-good players (not even really good ones).

The problem I see in these forums is that people who clearly have never raided on a long term basis at any kind of level above farm status PuGs, are accusing WoW’s raiding system of being a Skinner box loot grind, when it was absolutely nothing of the sort. The Skinner box part of WoW was in the daily quest system, amongst other things, but it barely made an appearance in the raiding game whatsoever, especially in the heroic raiding game.

The joy of raiding in WoW at a competent level – that is, cohesive raiding guilds, not PuGs – was in taking a team of friends into a raid instance and strategising and practicing strategies to take down bosses (and sometimes even trash in the early days) until the moment that everything clicked and you overcame them. This would sometimes take several evenings PER BOSS. This was a challenge, and this was enormously fun and rewarding. Raiders continued to log because of how enjoyable progress raiding was – “progress raiding” meaning raiding before a boss has been defeated for the first time. They didn’t do it for the loot. The loot was a bonus, a nice little additional reward and a way to display your achievements to others. The stat increase was merely a way Blizzard used to gate later raids from you so they maintained a sense of ordered progress through the content – that’s all it was, and is, for. There are problems with stat inflation, granted (overgearing raids, and PvP balance being the obvious ones), but nevertheless it’s just a form of gating.

People are far too quick to accuse “raiding” of being a mindless grind of repetitive, easy content until you’re geared. I have no idea which raids you guys have been doing, but that sounds like GW2 explorables to me, not WoW raids. I won’t deny that after your guild had cleared a raid, there would be a period of farming that raid to fill in the gaps in people’s gear to ready the group for the next tier, but this actually wasn’t particularly boring either, especially if you were a group of friends on voice coms. Generally the boss fights were entertaining enough to stay interesting for at least a short while after you had defeated them for the first time anyway, and it didn’t take much longer than that for the group to be geared and ready for the next challenge. Add to that the sense of enjoyment that people get from developing their character, and raiding was and is great fun.

Calling progressive raiding in WoW a Skinner box is just plain wrong, and people are clearly getting their wires crossed with some other aspect of the game, as it was certainly not without those psychological tricks, but raiding was not one of them.

GW2 is ripe for having a great raiding game, and ArenaNet don’t need to inflate gear stats, as they can gate by some other method. Raiding is and was rewarding in its own right, and the people who are bleeting on about “why can’t you just play for fun?”, well raiders did and do, it’s just that GW2 offers no challenge or experience anywhere near on par with organised raiding.

(edited by Elydian.1763)

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

…So?

Call of Duty so popular because of progression through ranking. World of warcraft so popular because of progression through gear. Starcraft so popular because of progression through ranking. Only reason I play sPvP and haven’t given up on the same maps again and again is because I get a buzz from ranking. We all strive for progression and it is what makes games soo popular.

Each guild wars 2 is gonna be successful and please the majority of people it needs a bit of progression. I hate to admit it…. it sucks… but it does. Otherwise a massive majority of players looking for their gear weed will go back to WoW and you may have what you want with a better community and all… but poor arenanet will lose out on alot of MONEYS!

I’m not sure how the tPvP works, never participated, but I do believe it is ranked, altho I think they could add a ranking system for sPvP as well. People like to measure their capabilities and the nature of PvP is competitive, there is no reason for a ranking system there.

Posted by: Soulwatcher.2604

Soulwatcher.2604

The developers said this game is not about a grind but rather to have fun and like the poster above said whats wrong with fun?

Posted by: dadamowsky.4692

dadamowsky.4692

The way I say it is this how goals should be set to the player.

Get to max level
Run instances to get pve gear
Use that pve gear to get pvp gear
Dominate with pvp gear

Also it wouldn’t be so bad if you could get karma from spvp. Secondly, I hate that world v world is literally zerg or nothing.

There’s plenty of other MMOs which has that kind of development. And a plenty of people not really interested in that kind of development. GW2 is a game developed for the latter, and it was pretty obvious from the very beginning of this project. Why do you bother to play a game that does not satisfy you?

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I have enough goals in life and work.

In this game?…the only goal I have is to chill and goof off in game. Whether that is participating in a DE zerg, soloing around, crafting, exploring, chatting in guildies and/or just getting lost in Tyria and not worrying about anything.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: boris.1248

boris.1248

Everyone saying that this game is developed as it is now and said to be like it is now. Sorry it’s not… There are people stating their minds and most of them have a point. Stop giving the same answers over and over and read what others complaining about.

Game lacks creativity. Current creative concept is not enough to replace it’s original and needs a serious improvement. Including it’s system. Dungeons overall needs something worth doing for… I don’t mean gold, karma or some valued item by ‘’worth doing for’’ it could be anything for reward else it’s boring… PVP is chaotic and don’t need the slightest talent to attend (and win) one… there is no difference between player A and player B unless one of them spamming his skills faster than the other. DE’s are great but repetitive, all of them revolving around 5 or 6 same gameplay concept and it does not giving me any excitement doing the same event in 1-15 zone against bandits or in 80 zone against undeads.

Overall people have a point and everyone have a different taste when it comes to having fun. So don’t join the cheering crowd and listen what others stating.

uperkurk.4673

Because I played a game for 4 years and then I wanted something totally new. But ask yourself this, can you really see youselves playing guild wars 2 in say 2 or 3 years time? Still running those instances, killing the same bosses that do the same moves over and over. Doing the same or slightly different but same trigger events that boil down to this very simple goal. Kill some npcs.

The feeling of killing another real life player has always outweighed the feeling or killing an npc. It’s always random and never the seem even though similar, you’ll find yourself in different situations…

I killed megladon the other night, it was cool and I found it fun, but I don’t want to kill him again when I saw him today :/ it’s kinda like doing the same quest. I ran the nightmare instance 4 times now, and I’m bored of running it, it’s the same and although the gear is VERY nice, I don’t want to run the instance 50 times to get 1500 tokens so I can buy the set.

The best gear should be obtained via pvp points! So you can kill players over and over and you never really get bored because each encounter is different. then after 6 months you finally get the full set and you feel AWESOME running around in that set because you know it’s significantly better than the other easy to obtain gear, it has much better stats, looking amazing and performs amazing.

Reward players for their pvp efforts, that’s all I’m saying. You reward the pve guys, so reward the pvp guys.

Posted by: UgaBuga.6457

UgaBuga.6457

The point of the game is to have “fun”. Though i know how you feel. I guess all of us who have played other MMO’s kinda miss the feeling of being “rewarded” for our time used.

ArenaNet… I thought you listened to the community? what a load of bull…
But if you happen to do, listen to this thread…

Posted by: Zachariel.5463

Zachariel.5463

I fear you came in to this game with the wrong expectations. This game is not like any other MMO that are widely popular. This game builds on the original concept of the Guild Wars Franchise and if you are not familiar with the original GW then you most likely will not understand this game to the fullest extent. I hope I’m not coming off as elitest or rude as that is not my intention, but might I suggest you do some reading up on the original GW and what the developers wanted/designed for this game.

This game is like playing a 3d RTS game in an MMO style. Thats how I see it and about the best way I can describe it.

(edited by Zachariel.5463)

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

Achieving no goal other than fun is very different from other MMOs.

All my other online games help me lose weight and learn CSS as I play, unlike Guild Wars which merely provides me with imaginary items and events that have no real value.

Posted by: Zachariel.5463

Zachariel.5463

Achieving no goal other than fun is very different from other MMOs.

All my other online games help me lose weight and learn CSS as I play, unlike Guild Wars which merely provides me with imaginary items and events that have no real value.

If you don’t like the game, then why play it? Honest question. What is bringing you here if you are not in fact having fun? I keep playing as I enjoy the game, and find it fills a void that many other games have failed to fill. My main is only at lvl 70 and I don’t really care to get him higher as I’m working on other things (sPVP and WvW) and I am having a blast. Maybe you need to ask yourself…is this the game I thought it was going to be and depending on the answer maybe this game is or isn’t for you.