Asura and Charr Femininity!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Why not men in dresses indeed. We have female characters who wear pants after all. Sometimes you need to have a bit of humor:

It’s not a dress but a funny dye combo.

Attachments:

Posted by: Never.8147

Never.8147

Do I really have to point out rather obvious two facts that are undeniable and real?

1. Charr and Asura already wear Dresses! There are plenty of both that grew up in Lion’s Arch, lore-wise, who do not conform to their traditional society. This can be seen in…

2. Charr and Asura already have gender-dimorphic outfits! Just throw on the Countess Anise outfit—it changes depending if an asura/charr who wears it is male or female.

All I want is gender-dimorphic armor sets. It’s really just a simple extension of what is already present within the game, and a few cultural sets are already dimorphic, so it’s definitely possible within the engine. No one is forcing you to wear anything you don’t want to wear.

Heemi – Asura Necromancer

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

While there is some outfits for a good female looks.(daydreamer/wedding) It doesn’t change the fact that Medium and light armors all look the same for charr and asura, Your gender is male. I would like to see more female “Armors” for our charrs and asura’s. outfits we have to pay for, we shouldn’t have to pay to look like a female.

Your clothes are what make you look or feel like a female? Huh.

I understand what you are asking for. I am arguing against it. I don’t want them to affect the lore based on your feeling of wanting your character to be feminine. I like it that these 2 races do not sexualize their clothing.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Never.8147

While there is some outfits for a good female looks.(daydreamer/wedding) It doesn’t change the fact that Medium and light armors all look the same for charr and asura, Your gender is male. I would like to see more female “Armors” for our charrs and asura’s. outfits we have to pay for, we shouldn’t have to pay to look like a female.

Your clothes are what make you look or feel like a female? Huh.

I understand what you are asking for. I am arguing against it. I don’t want them to affect the lore based on your feeling of wanting your character to be feminine. I like it that these 2 races do not sexualize their clothing.

Then…is your “immersion” is already broken by the daydreamer’s outfit and the feathered armor set? Skimpiness is a choice.

That being said, I feel the need to iterate I do not necessarily want skimpy armor for Charr and Asura—just more feminine. Like I stated in my original post, Female Cabalist as inspiration would be ideal—it doesn’t even show skin on the lower half of the body, and minimal cleavage on the upper half…

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

All I want is gender-dimorphic armor sets. It’s really just a simple extension of what is already present within the game, and a few cultural sets are already dimorphic, so it’s definitely possible within the engine. No one is forcing you to wear anything you don’t want to wear.

Like hell they aren’t. It’s ridiculous how difficult it is to find a pair of pants for a human female.

I don’t care what armor sets they put into the game as long as they don’t go against the lore to do it. But “feminine” sets for Asura and Charr DO go against the lore of the game and consequently should not exist in the game.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Agemnon.4608

What I don’t like is whenever an Eastern game or anime gets drastically changed in many ways due to values dissonance or even simple localization. This is why fandubs and subs are better than official anime translations. Even entire story arcs and relationships get edited out as to not “offend” certain American sensibilities

“Any attempt to point out differences in biology, lore, and that what these 2 different non human species consider sexually attractive is not the same as humans, runs up against the lore destroying ’I want my Asura/Charr to wear dresses because I want them to look feminine. What does it matter to you what they wear?”

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have options for Charr and Asura to have dresses.

“in most cases I think the male/unisex outfit is the better choice for charr.”

They can still have a society and belief system like you describe but might simply like dresses better than male clothes.

The way the word “creepy” gets thrown about in this and other threads just for liking cute things or simply making a pretty female character to look at (God forbid people like looking at attractive members of the opposite gender) is disturbingly cringeworthy and overly judgmental.

The member of the opposite sex referred to is drawn to look like she is five years old. If that is what is attractive to some teens and adults then I am completely fine with certain “relationships” being edited out of US releases.

As to dresses for Char, would a race whose entire culture is centered around war want to wear clothing that impedes mobility?

Some children might want to play the game and some characters looking young isn’t an attraction thing. You have childlike Asura and I wouldn’t consider them sexualized. A major issue in America is people assume everything outside of a certain set norm is “sexualization” and its rooted in the puritan ethos. While America may think something is “oversexualized” Japan may think it conveys innocence and cuteness. Judgment should be reserved for the individual to decide if something is sexualized or not. Just because something is cute or pretty doesn’t mean there’s some weird “sinister” motif behind it.

A dress would impede mobility even less than pants since you don’t have the closed crotch. It depends on the cut of dress but a flowy loose dress wouldn’t.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

What I don’t like is whenever an Eastern game or anime gets drastically changed in many ways due to values dissonance or even simple localization. This is why fandubs and subs are better than official anime translations. Even entire story arcs and relationships get edited out as to not “offend” certain American sensibilities

“Any attempt to point out differences in biology, lore, and that what these 2 different non human species consider sexually attractive is not the same as humans, runs up against the lore destroying ’I want my Asura/Charr to wear dresses because I want them to look feminine. What does it matter to you what they wear?”

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have options for Charr and Asura to have dresses.

They can still have a society and belief system like you describe but might simply like dresses better than male clothes.

The way the word “creepy” gets thrown about in this and other threads just for liking cute things or simply making a pretty female character to look at (God forbid people like looking at attractive members of the opposite gender) is disturbingly cringeworthy and overly judgmental.

The member of the opposite sex referred to is drawn to look like she is five years old. If that is what is attractive to some teens and adults then I am completely fine with certain “relationships” being edited out of US releases.

As to dresses for Char, would a race whose entire culture is centered around war want to wear clothing that impedes mobility?

Some children might want to play the game and some characters looking young isn’t an attraction thing. You have childlike Asura and I wouldn’t consider them sexualized. A major issue in America is people assume everything outside of a certain set norm is “sexualization” and its rooted in the puritan ethos. While America may think something is “oversexualized” Japan may think it conveys innocence and cuteness. Judgment should be reserved for the individual to decide if something is sexualized or not. Just because something is cute or pretty doesn’t mean there’s some weird “sinister” motif behind it.

A dress would impede mobility even less than pants since you don’t have the closed crotch. It depends on the cut of dress but a flowy loose dress wouldn’t.

Try running through brush or a forest in a loose, flowy dress then again wearing pants and come back and report how that went. (Hint: there is a reason why women hitched up the dress or tore it short if they really had to run).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Agemnon.4608

Like hell they aren’t. It’s ridiculous how difficult it is to find a pair of pants for a human female.

I don’t care what armor sets they put into the game as long as they don’t go against the lore to do it. But “feminine” sets for Asura and Charr DO go against the lore of the game and consequently should not exist in the game.

I strongly disagree with you. They should be in the game because they’re cute. As for pants the girl in the picture is wearing some. They’re nice looking pants too.

Attachments:

Agemnon.4608

Try running through brush or a forest in a loose, flowy dress then again wearing pants and come back and report how that went.

Jesus Christ people it’s a video game! If people want options they should be available. Why are people way too obsessed over lore? If lore or story gets in the way of a good idea it should be changed accordingly. Marvel and DC retcon and change stuff all the time.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Try running through brush or a forest in a loose, flowy dress then again wearing pants and come back and report how that went.

Jesus Christ people it’s a video game! If people want options they should be available. Why are people way too obsessed over lore? If lore or story gets in the way of a good idea it should be changed accordingly. Marvel and DC retcon and change stuff all the time.

Your comment was about comparing mobility in either dresses or pants. My correction has nothing to do with video games. It’s pointing out that loose flowy dresses do inhibit mobility and you saying they don’t is incorrect.

In a video game, both are equal. Differences in mobility only relate to real life.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Never.8147

Um, I hate to break it to you, but…

Attachments:

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

Atleast they look more like a cat than charr ever did

Attachments:

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

It’s funny. People who want Charr and Asurans to wear dresses because options are good almost always balk at the notion of men in dresses, because options are good (or not good when it offends their sensibilities).

If my male norn’s got it, he should flaunt it… in a well tailored dress designed to flaunt it in all the right ways.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Im just glad asura and charr dont have a huge amount of gender diphormism like in other games. Where the male is a huge feral ugly beast and the female is a sexy girl with cat ears and a tail

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s funny. People who want Charr and Asurans to wear dresses because options are good almost always balk at the notion of men in dresses, because options are good (or not good when it offends their sensibilities).

If my male norn’s got it, he should flaunt it… in a well tailored dress designed to flaunt it in all the right ways.

And he should. ^^

Though I do admit a great deal of fondness for seeing Norn men in traditional masculine armor, such as this.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You said attractive to members of the opposite sex, not innocent.

You are completely mistaken about dress vs pants mobility.

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

This is all assuming that the Charr and Asura races don’t already see these pieces as feminine and or completely fitting on a female character.

Cause you know, fantasy….

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Hazelaar.5720

Hazelaar.5720

Do I really have to point out rather obvious two facts that are undeniable and real?

1. Charr and Asura already wear Dresses! There are plenty of both that grew up in Lion’s Arch, lore-wise, who do not conform to their traditional society. This can be seen in…

2. Charr and Asura already have gender-dimorphic outfits! Just throw on the Countess Anise outfit—it changes depending if an asura/charr who wears it is male or female.

The issue is that that if they make Charr and Asura female armor different than the male armor, they’re not going to make a specific “female” set for them, they’re just going to reuse the design they made for the other races. Which means that instead of having a plethora of awesome, useful looking heavy armor for my female Charr I’d be stuck with the small amount of sets which don’t include some ridiculous boob-plate.

Never.8147

The issue is that that if they make Charr and Asura female armor different than the male armor, they’re not going to make a specific “female” set for them, they’re just going to reuse the design they made for the other races. Which means that instead of having a plethora of awesome, useful looking heavy armor for my female Charr I’d be stuck with the small amount of sets which don’t include some ridiculous boob-plate.

I agree wholeheartedly that old content should not be affected! It would cause too many headaches for everyone. I’m talking about introducing a new armor set to the gem store or something that actually gives a different appearance based off of the character’s gender.

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

Im just glad asura and charr dont have a huge amount of gender diphormism like in other games. Where the male is a huge feral ugly beast and the female is a sexy girl with cat ears and a tail

You forgot about the boobs. 99% of Female Animals have Boobs slapped onto them.

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

Um, I hate to break it to you, but…

That’s the point; all the existing dresses etc. for female charr and asura are outfits that have been added post launch. That the devs didn’t make a single piece of armour look that way on them while they were making the game suggests that it isn’t their intention for them to adhere to human fashion in regards to femininity, but the demand for dresses on charr and asura is high enough that they started adding these items as it will evidently make more money than keeping the original racial identity.

While not having many (formerly any) clothes based on human femininity usable on your charr and asura annoys you, watching the original image of these races be abandoned for the sake of your fashion options annoys me. This is also why the option not to use the skins is irrelevant.

(edited by Serval.6458)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

IMO one problem is that for most armors, it’s either the male or the female version used for both genders.

Thinking about how these races tend to not show sexual differentiation in clothing, wouldn’t it make sense that they had a single, third, “neutral” design both genders would wear?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

but that would mean another armor model done specifically for asuras and charrs. It’s more work, because it means that every armor should have 3 versions instead of two.