At this point is anyone even surprised?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Um.. I know more people than I can count who wanted new hairstyles and have wanted them for months and months – myself included – so I don’t know where the OP is pulling the idea that very few people wanted new hair from….

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

They can’t charge you for fixes. They can charge you for gems to buy hairstyle.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

lol, clipping issues/etc. isn’t why MOST people aren’t playing a Charr engineer.

So you managed to ask everyone who plays the game and is not playing a charr character how they feel on the subject?

Impressive.

I don’t know. I seem to remember reading stuff about humans in most MMOs being the most played race. I’m pretty sure that the further something diverges from a human, the less people play it.

I should try to find the references, but it’s late.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

How much time do they need? Most of the issues have been around since the betas. And then there are completely new ones in the last month or two like the charr main hand weapons shrinking magically.

So again, how much time do they require? They sure as hell can make things worse at the drop of the hat so how much time do we have to wait?

Hell, charr still leave footprints in snow that go in the opposite direction the character is facing. And that would be such an easy thing to fix. It would literally take them about 15 seconds to fix it. But no, we have to stare at that kitten for more than a year now.

And the end of the day it’s pure stubborn laziness on anets part and they should be embarrassed. If they wanted to they could probably fix all the problems revolving around charr and engineers inside of a week.

And we do know what the whole story is. They flat out said it’s not worth their time to fix. There is nothing to interpret or guess at.

How much time do they need? As long as it takes. Development isn’t done using a magic wand. Tracking an issue through potentially thousands of lines of code, is grueling work. (Makes my eyes cross at least)

They did not say it wasn’t worth their time. They said because so few people play it, it’s a lower priority. Again, something that happens in every development situation. They have to prioritize their work somehow, and cosmetic issues aren’t game breaking. kitten , GW1 is almost 9 years old and it has clipping issues that were never fixed, and will never be fixed.

Kitten happens, they have to draw the line somewhere. I’d dearly love to have some of you slammed into their dev’s shoes and try to do what they do. Let’s see you do better. No game is perfect, kitten, no software is perfect.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Percentage of players who play charr and engineers combined. My guess is less than 25%.

Percentage of players who use hair. 100%

I’m not thinking that Anet’s priorities are wrong, in spite of the fact I would welcome fixes to charr and engineers also.

Actually according to Arena Net’s only released numbers at the end of “year one” it is 23%, not accounting for possible overlap. Engineers are listed as 10%, with charr only being 13%. Hence why Arena Net has all but admitted that they feel comfortable completely ignoring us. Or at least that they can get away with deprioritizing us in favor of “wider reaching issues.” This of course creates an endless cycle of crap.

*Players don’t play certain characters because of the problems.
*Arena Net puts less time into fixing those problems because of how few people play those characters.
*So fewer players play those characters.
*So Arena Net puts less time into fixing those problems.
*So fewer people play those characters.

And so on and so forth…sooner or later the charr/engineer population will drop to zero; it is the only logical outcome. And the sad thing is Arena Net won’t even care.

I play Charr, and do not notice these problems at all. Plus everyone I know who do not play Charr, it is only because they do not like to play beast characters, so for them the only way to get them to play Charr is to fix the race, meaning change them into something else that isn’t a beast race. Some people I know just do not like the size of them, they said if they were the same size as the humans than they would play them, these people will also not play a Male Norn. And others do not play them just because they run on all 4. Not once I have heard anyone say they do not play Charr because of problems that need to be fixed.

This leads me to believe that these problems you are talking about is effecting a very very small amount of people, which would put those problems at a very low priority.

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

lol, clipping issues/etc. isn’t why MOST people aren’t playing a Charr engineer.

So you managed to ask everyone who plays the game and is not playing a charr character how they feel on the subject?

Impressive.

All I’m saying is that there are much bigger issues with the race/class than the few tiny issues you’re complaining about.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I’m sure if you get upset enough, they’ll do exactly what you want them to do.

Explain the Elementalist subforum.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Impressive.

I don’t know. I seem to remember reading stuff about humans in most MMOs being the most played race. I’m pretty sure that the further something diverges from a human, the less people play it.

All I know is that I’ve seen quite a few comments from people who said they rerolled their charr because of all the clipping issues (mostly tail and horns/main) and armor stretching over the last year.

I’m am in no delusions that these comments represent any sort of majority or even a minority but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter who plays what or what their reasoning is/was.

It’s pure laziness and they should be held accountable for it. It really is that simple. I fear the kitten storm that will take place when they make a new beastlike race (lookin at you tengu). If they can’t get it right a year after release they won’t bother getting it right in the future.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I have a couple charr and an engineer (one character is both of these things) I haven’t noticed any glaring issues or bugs. In my opinion these issues with how low the number of players using them can be summed up honestly like so:

Charr don’t have cleavage.
Engineers take more effort / patience to play like other classes.

Same reason there aren’t as many Mesmers. It’s a complicated class that’s less rewarding up front.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Vayne.8563

Impressive.

All I know is that I’ve seen quite a few comments from people who said they rerolled their charr because of all the clipping issues (mostly tail and horns/main) and armor stretching over the last year.

I’m am in no delusions that these comments represent any sort of majority or even a minority but at the end of the day it doesn’t matter who plays what or what their reasoning is/was.

It’s pure laziness and they should be held accountable for it. It really is that simple. I fear the kitten storm that will take place when they make a new beastlike race (lookin at you tengu). If they can’t get it right a year after release they won’t bother getting it right in the future.

Having more work to do than you can do in a requisite amount of time does not equal laziness. It equals being understaffed. You can call them lazy if you want, but really,. how do you know? Are you suggesting they’re not hard at work on other things? And if they are hard at work, are they really lazy?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have a couple charr and an engineer (one character is both of these things) I haven’t noticed any glaring issues or bugs. In my opinion these issues with how low the number of players using them can be summed up honestly like so:

Same reason there aren’t as many Mesmers. It’s a complicated class that’s less rewarding up front.

chuckle Cleavage would explain why the majority of the player base play human and Norn. Although I’m sure armor selection plays a sizable role as well.

fellyn.5083

So you never noticed how your charrs tail magically pokes through his armor? Or that his hair disappears when he puts on a hat? Same with his horns? Or that if you equip a 1 hand weapon it will magically shrink? Or the many many stretching issues because pretty much all the armors in the game were made to fix human skeletons and not charr?

But yeah, no cleavage so all our complaints are moot.

Anthony.7219

Impressive.

Charr are fugly. It goes beyond a few clipping issues, they’re a messy, (now I feel like im being racist), awkward, boring race to play.

fellyn.5083

Impressive.

Having more work to do than you can do in a requisite amount of time does not equal laziness. It equals being understaffed. You can call them lazy if you want, but really,. how do you know? Are you suggesting they’re not hard at work on other things? And if they are hard at work, are they really lazy?

See, that’s the problem. We know they are hard at work. Making things no one wants. Like new back item #132 (which looks terrible on charr, surprise surprise).

And I call them lazy because they said it’s not worth their time to deal with the charr issues.

Charr are fugly. It goes beyond a few clipping issues, they’re a messy, (now I feel like im being racist), awkward, boring race to play.

Thanks for sticking to the discussion instead of telling a bunch of strangers your personal preferences for what you like to play in video games (which has nothing to do with the topic that’s being discussed).

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Many of the Guild Wars 1 players refuse to use charr because of what they did to Ascalon. I know it sounds silly but seriously, there’s a group of players who decided before the game ever launched they’d never play a charr.

Haha, on a side note, I had a legendary defender of Ascalon in GW1 and recreated her with the same name as a charr. Ahhh, the irony.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Vayne.8563

Many of the Guild Wars 1 players refuse to use charr because of what they did to Ascalon. I know it sounds silly but seriously, there’s a group of players who decided before the game ever launched they’d never play a charr.

Haha, on a side note, I had a legendary defender of Ascalon in GW1 and recreated her with the same name as a charr. Ahhh, the irony.

LMAO! That’s awesome!

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

So in tomorrow’s big update we get….

Long requested cosmetic fixes for charr: zero.

Long requested cosmetic fixes for engineer kits: zero.

New hairstyles few people have asked for: Approximately thirty six.

Arena Net: “Why fix the existing content in our game when we can just add more?”

……

I’ve been ASKING FOR MORE HAIRSTYLES SINCE THE GAME STARTED.

Sylvari Skirts are still: Bugged, that is a little more then a backpack.

Charr is only 1 out of the 5 races and most of it is due to armor combinations.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Anthony.7219

Humans just have the fewest things to DISlike. I spent more time choosing my race in this game than any other, and it comes down to things like the history behind the race, the beauty of the home city, the gods, the armor, the physical size of the race (some people worry that being too large would block views in a dungeon). I almost chose Sylvari but I hate the grove. And Centaurs, I wanted to fight the Centaurs.

Charr were the least played race from launch, it isn’t completely a clipping issue.

(edited by Anthony.7219)

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

nope. never noticed my tail appearing out of my armor in an incorrect way. also never noticed my horns disappearing. I just assume the hats have holes for the horns. Otherwise the hats would look stupid.

oh.. while we’re on the subject:

show me 1 image in game of a character wearing a hat where you can still see all of their hair. it’s a hat. it covers your hair. the design is intuitive. this happens with every race. >_>

I think the designers have done an overall outstanding job with the modeling in this game. There are so many combinations it’s tough to keep up with everything. Yes, there will be clipping here and there. Yes, at times things will look a little goofy. Know what? you can look however you want. in fact it’s the only REALLY viable “end-game” content in this game, is fashion.

The nice thing about this is, it’s only as frustrating as you make it to be.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I don’t think it’s as cut-and-dry as that, but on some basic level, yes. Addressing clipping issues with charr is a problem that’s going to take a lot of resources to fix. And for this investment of resources ArenaNet doesn’t see much (if any) financial return. New hairstyles, on the other hand, are assuredly going to move the various makeover kits available in the cash shop.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I don’t feel like anybody should be surprised, or even upset. Everyone wants something in this game. For me, its personal housing. But in a free to play game, its the constant job of the game devs to find a way, each update, to sell something new and fun in the shop. The existence of that motivation is a mandate of the ftp model, and has no correlation with player housing, or clipping issues, or anything else really.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Arena Net: “Why fix the existing content in our game when we can just add more?”

They can sell the haircuts with the gem-store. The rest does not generate income.

Thats what you get with a F2P / game that focuses on the gem-store for income in stead on for example expansions.

But in there defense, they also add a new dungeon-path. Thats something many people asked for.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Get over yourself. Oh no they added content without fixing the specific bugs that you want! Bugs, I might add, that I personally have not noticed at all.

New hairstyles sounds great!

Then you’re not playing the game if you haven’t noticed any bugs. That’s the only way to not notice them. They haven’t fixed bugs left over from beta, yet they keep piling on more content.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

its not content but crap

eisberg.2379

Get over yourself. Oh no they added content without fixing the specific bugs that you want! Bugs, I might add, that I personally have not noticed at all.

Then you’re not playing the game if you haven’t noticed any bugs. That’s the only way to not notice them. They haven’t fixed bugs left over from beta, yet they keep piling on more content.

People who make content generally do not have the skill set to fix bugs. Content makers are not generally programmers, and it is the programmers that fix bugs. It makes no sense to have your content makers doing nothing while they wait for bugs to be fixed. Content makers can make and release content while the programmers work on the bugs.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So you never noticed how your charrs tail magically pokes through his armor?

You must not be an anime fan at all then, cause you see this all the time in anime. Tails and wings just poking through clothes, no obvious design feature to allow for the protusion. This issue also exists in other games…

Or that his hair disappears when he puts on a hat? Same with his horns?

GW1 had this issue too, was never fixed. It annoys me too that I can’t wear a hat (on any class/race) and have my hairstyle, but it’s not game breaking. Just means I suck it up and don’t wear a hat/helmet. (Female warrior with the big pigtails in GW1… just poof when putting on a helmet, so yeah I know what you mean)

Or that if you equip a 1 hand weapon it will magically shrink?

I actually kind of like some of this. We saw some scaling with weapons on Jora in GW1, so I assumed we’d see some of it here in GW2 eventually. Could it use some tweaking? Sure.

Or the many many stretching issues because pretty much all the armors in the game were made to fix human skeletons and not charr?

Weeeeell, you can only ask so much here. While I don’t disagree, nor will I argue, that Charr armor needs some love, it’s not like they did anything any other company hasn’t done. I think it would have gotten some more attention had the game not been pushed out early, but its a little late for that. Now, we can only hope they get to it in their backlog of to dos, and they might not. Its just how it works. Only so many hours in the day, and only so much affordable man power.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

New hairstyles…. you will probably still be bald if you wear any kind of helmet..

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

xephire.8324

New hairstyles…. you will probably still be bald if you wear any kind of helmet..

And what next people will get kicked out of party because they refuse to wear helmets cause they want to show their flashy hair and slowing dungeon runs.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

So you never noticed how your charrs tail magically pokes through his armor? Or that his hair disappears when he puts on a hat? Same with his horns? Or that if you equip a 1 hand weapon it will magically shrink? Or the many many stretching issues because pretty much all the armors in the game were made to fix human skeletons and not charr?

But yeah, no cleavage so all our complaints are moot.

I think every race has the “put on a hat, now you’re bald” issue and there’s been no sign of fixing it for humanoids either.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Profession fixes come on the next patch two weeks from now. Have you ever noticed the lack of profession changes with the recent patches? They’re consolidating it all on the next patch.

Posted by: Machiavel.6042

Machiavel.6042

I just love how the new hairstyles are gem-store only…

Way to go Anet, way to go….

-I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it- Edgar Allan Poe

xephire.8324

Its expansion.

eisberg.2379

And what next people will get kicked out of party because they refuse to wear helmets cause they want to show their flashy hair and slowing dungeon runs.

You haven’t played the game, have you? Cause if you did, you wouldn’t be saying this. You are just making stuff up on the fly.

xephire.8324

You haven’t played the game, have you? Cause if you did, you wouldn’t be saying this.

Yes happened to people who used magic find.Why not for hair style

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

On a sort of related note, I’m really, really upset that Mini Caithe and Scarlet are Lionbox only :/ ANET Y U DO THIS TO ME

I ? Karkas.

eisberg.2379

You haven’t played the game, have you? Cause if you did, you wouldn’t be saying this.

Yes happened to people who used magic find.Why not for hair style

Yup, you haven’t played the game. Anyone who actually played the game will know what I am talking about. Hint: You can actually eat your cake and have it to.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Why’d you leave out male Sylvari cosmetic fixes? 95% of our armor doesn’t fit.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Machiavel.6042

Machiavel.6042

Its expansion.

It must have KILLED them to do such a hardly designer expansion !

Wonder how much time it took them to go through old files laying around the desktop of one of the art designer’s guys, and put them in the game…

Ah, silly me, TOTALLY new content, of course !

-I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it- Edgar Allan Poe

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

If they really need to suck money out of the playerbase with new hairstyles, why not do what SWTOR did and have them as permanent unlocks in a pack? Seriously, I’m not going to pay more gems on top of the character slot when I roll an alt. This is kind of a kitten thing to do.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

You do realize you can just check the hide helmet option, right? You can wear it without displaying it.

eisberg.2379

You do realize you can just check the hide helmet option, right? You can wear it without displaying it.

Which is why I was saying that I don’t think he ever actually played the game =D

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

People who make content generally do not have the skill set to fix bugs. Content makers are not generally programmers, and it is the programmers that fix bugs. It makes no sense to have your content makers doing nothing while they wait for bugs to be fixed. Content makers can make and release content while the programmers work on the bugs.

You’re missing my point. The programmers have not fixed bugs from the beta because content makers pile on the content and make the programmers fix the bugs for the newest content and basically say, “Screw the core game, we want the living story fixed now!” No, content makers cannot make and release content while programmers work on the bugs. It doesn’t work that way.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

eisberg.2379

You’re missing my point. The programmers have not fixed bugs from the beta because content makers pile on the content and make the programmers fix the bugs for the newest content and basically say, “Screw the core game, we want the living story fixed now!” No, content makers cannot make and release content while programmers work on the bugs. It doesn’t work that way.

It is also normal in the MMO genre to say the least. I haven’t played an MMO that didn’t have bug that lasted since beta and for years to come. It comes down to what can one tolerate and is acceptable. I come to an MMO expecting there to be bugs, and know that some bugs will last for many years to come.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

show me 1 image in game of a character wearing a hat where you can still see all of their hair. it’s a hat. it covers your hair. the design is intuitive. this happens with every race. >_>

You sound like you absolutely have no idea what people’s issue is with that design flaw.
Maybe not comment then?

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

It doesn’t matter how many people play an Engineer, or a Charr.

What matters is the fact that there are bugs and graphical glitches in game that have been reported and recognized for over a year.

Instead of fixing these known issues, known for over a year, they instead have manpower focused on new content.

The fact people are blindly defending these actions is ludicrous.

I’m glad there are more hairstyles. But it’s not going to sell games by word of mouth or increase player base loyalty.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

What matters is the fact that there are bugs and graphical glitches in game that have been reported and recognized for over a year.

Instead of fixing these known issues, known for over a year, they instead have manpower focused on new content.

I’m glad there are more hairstyles. But it’s not going to sell games by word of mouth or increase player base loyalty.

What is the point of fixing the paint-job on a car that doesn’t run?

LanfearShadowflame.3189

What is the point of fixing the paint-job on a car that doesn’t run?

So it makes a nice lawn ornament?

Anthony.7219

Impressive.

See, that’s the problem. We know they are hard at work. Making things no one wants. Like new back item #132 (which looks terrible on charr, surprise surprise).

And I call them lazy because they said it’s not worth their time to deal with the charr issues.

Thanks for sticking to the discussion instead of telling a bunch of strangers your personal preferences for what you like to play in video games (which has nothing to do with the topic that’s being discussed).

Lol, you’re welcome. Touchy much? It has everything to do with the topic. I’m saying that what the op thinks is a major issue, isn’kittens a discussion forum, I can voice my opinion if I want to, thanks.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

/thread

…hey Maybe they should experiment /w some Gem-Store “Kickstarters” to fix Bugs?
Let the players directly influence priorities finally instead of letting fluff decide it…