At this rate...a big let down.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Based on other CDI topics we know that major changes can take six months and more before implementation.

Common sense should suggest that “major changes can take six months and more before implementation”. Outright game breaking bugs, yeah, they take priority but everything else is scheduled months in advance and once the ball is rolling you can’t radically change anything that was decided before the ball was pushed. What was it again? Six, eight week development cycles on just the already planned out living story segments?

Once LS2 started, they became committed to finish it, no matter how many episodes they’ve planned out.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The ranger CDI had PLENTY of constructive criticism and NONE of it was taken seriously by the devs as seen by the latest changes…. (hint, there were hardly any changes made).
Ranger class required a revamp, and that is something anet will simply not spend resources and time on. It means nothing to them in the long run, so they will just tweak a few numbers here and throw the small ranger community a bone.
They wanted feedback from the CDI, and the community responded HEAVILY. Of course there was a lot of hateful posts, but there was a bountiful amount of well written posts to fixing the class.
Unfortunately, the class is so badly broken because of the pets, anet can’t truely fix it unless they revamp the class completely, which ain’t happening because their resource allocation is tied by NCsoft (who could give a kitten about fair balancing).
Gemstore + LS is the focus for development, not class balancing.
Most rangers will just re-roll anyways, theres only a small, dedicated community of them left anyways.

I don’t want to turn this into a Ranger discussion (we aren’t nearly as “badly broken” as you claim), other than to say that the obvious problems (pet AI and the condition damage conundrum) isn’t something that can just be “tweaked.” They know this, we know this, it doesn’t need confirmation every month. Much of the other complaints are really player-side problems (we can’t agree if sword 1-chain is a problem at all, for example… or the bearbow cry of ‘we are called RANGEr!’).

But let’s not pretend there was “plenty” of constructive criticism in that CDI. It went for about three pages then the remaining thirty was nothing but bile, spite, venom and temper tantrums. You could have gotten the entire thrust of the useable discussion about three posts into page 4.

Does that mean it should have just disappeared? Nah. All I know is that moderators can completely delete entire threads and you won’t get a notice of it’s deletion (happened to me today in a thread about the Twice-Told Legend achievement).

But much like the Ranger class itself, the Ranger CDI thread really just happened to be the most gregarious example of a larger problem… the real thrust of the issues could have been gathered within the first handful of pages, and the rest was just was a positive feedback loop of noise.

When you have millions of voices that all expect to be heard and acknowledged, devs can’t be expected to keep up with that. I don’t care if they respond. I care if they listen. Have they listened? History says “yes”, though clearly not as much as a good many fans would like.

And for the record, I don’t plan to re-roll anything, much less my Ranger.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So, what do you want?

Do people want to go back to WoW’s method of one new raid content patch once every three months? In which you get done the stuff in either a month or less unless you are grinding for gear?

I’d rather have the system they used in Guild Wars. A entirely new campaign, fully polished, that offers the option to experience it with either a new or existing character released once every two years sounds pretty swell to me; especially considering such a model offered new races, classes, regions, skills, and weapon and armor skins.

Anet has said, and I believe they’re firm on this, there won’t be any new stand alone scenarios. It divided the player base in the first game and they came to see it as a mistake.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

So, what do you want?

Do people want to go back to WoW’s method of one new raid content patch once every three months? In which you get done the stuff in either a month or less unless you are grinding for gear?

I’d rather have the system they used in Guild Wars. A entirely new campaign, fully polished, that offers the option to experience it with either a new or existing character released once every two years sounds pretty swell to me; especially considering such a model offered new races, classes, regions, skills, and weapon and armor skins.

Anet has said, and I believe they’re firm on this, there won’t be any new stand alone scenarios. It divided the player base in the first game and they came to see it as a mistake.

The player base was divided long before the release of Factions. You had the PvEers and the PvPers. The PvEers focused mainly on farming UW and FoW while the PvPers focused on HA and GvG.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I lost faith in them. Don’t get me wrong I still love the game and creativity. Which is why I will still log in on a regular basis but play no more than an hour a day and 1 day every 2 weeks.

Logging in to activate stories but play only every 6 months is not the way to go I guarantee you’ll be playing alone while others are in the fresher content.

Here’s the bottom line.
2000 to 2005.
From 3 to 170 employees have produced GW1

2005 to 2007
6 months later the full campaign Factions
6 more months later Nightfall campaign
10 months later the expansion Eye of the North.
During those 10 months they even had been working on Utopia which they dumped
in favor of Eye of The North.

2007 to 2012
From 170 to 370 to produce GW 2.
August 2012 release date.
3 months later a new map “Southsun Cove” which had nothing to do with the storyline but where your character can now take a vacation…WoW
Labyrinthine Cliffs July 2013 not an official map based on wiki still fun after 2 festivals but getting old.
Dry Top 1/8 of a map July 1st.
Dry Top 1/8 of the same map, at this rate Dry Top will be completed and the same size as Brisband Wildlands by the end of October.
Don’t get me wrong I still love the game but this is not the same Anet as GW 1’s days with 2 very important founders and some staff gone some of which I’m sure didn’t like the direction the company was taking, nothing new here it happens everywhere but Anet is no longer the quality company it used to be. Yeah you might even say I’ve stopped being a fanboy and I’m now simply a dissatisfied player.

The rumor is for an expansion pack for 2015 at the rate things are going it better be a good and big expansion or Anet won’t last another 5 years and that would be sad. Ok time for me to buy an FPS while I wait for July 29th’s 1/8 th of added Dry Top content.
Did I mention it takes 4 months for 1/8 th of a map? Lucky for us they have more than 1 team working on each LS. Could have been worse. No applause please.

I have to question some of the statements in this post.

1. Factions was released 1 year later, not 6 months.
2. At least one of the two founders that left was very excited about Guild Wars 2, so if that is the direction you state they were unhappy with, I will have to disagree. Those two founders also left to join NCSoft. Now, considering how most seem to feel about NCSoft, I don’t know if that can be considered a bad thing, or a good thing.
3. You state it takes 4 months to create 1/8th of a map, yet we will have 3/8ths (according to how you divide the current map releases) in less than 1 month. I’m confused how it will take until October, using any of your math to receive the entire map. We really don’t know what size or what fraction of any map releases will be, until the entire map is released.
4. There is only one Team working on the Living Story. It is true there used to be 4 Teams, each with a 4-month lead time for the release-period they were responsible for, but that is no longer how the Living Story Season Episodes are handled.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

Things I like:

Good quality game in the sense of:
-great graphics
-love the combat system, can’t play many other mmo’s because I always want to dodge roll and move while using skills.
-Legendary skins are excellent and a decent goal to work towards.
-Despite many people poo poo’ing it, there’s something to the spvp that I do enjoy. I like the pace of it, I like the constantly thinking about who’s doing what and how to counter it to cap points etc. Of course there’s lot of other things in pvp that I don’t like which I will touch on later.
-Dungeons are decently paced, the rewards are fair and I like the access to gear that people can gain through a token system instead of relying on RNG.
-Skin based game. When you have all your gear, what’s left to work for? For many including myself, it’s vanity items.. namely, skins. I like this because v.s other games where you are constantly grinding away for stats, here you have access to those and can now play with your friends without too much concern for your efficiency.
- So much kittening potential. This game could really be amazing.

Things I don’t like:

-Lack of Endgame. This game doesn’t provide much direction past lvl 80. You have to make your own goals. And while it is nice to have that freedom, you soon realize there’s not much to do once you achieve them. In other games you are stuck grinding away at stats and once you have them.. you grind away for the next best thing. That’s boring and horrible and I won’t return to doing that.. but it did keep me playing and interested in the game. Here, you grind away for the skins you want and then when you have them.. well.. then what? I’ve pvp’d and gotten the titles and rank that I want, WvW is something I hate and I have run every dungeon more times than is healthy to comment on. My solution would be to go down the track GW1 went and provide new permanent content that is truelly challenging and rewarding for those who want to invest more time in the game. ‘Hard mode’ settings for dungeons with unique rewards and ‘challenge’ missions would really make people compeditive and committed to the game for long periods of time.

-The ‘living story’, I really don’t mind it.. it’s ok. I think the latest installment with drytop is great because it provides a slightly different avenue for us dungeon hardcores to get dragonite instead of waiting around for world events like golem and malchor’s etc. The storyline is interesting, I actually paid it some attention which I usually don’t do, however it was incredibly brief.. I was done with it in record time and then I was bored again. I hate to think that this is where the majority of resources are being directed because it’s not keeping me around for very long. It is however working very well for driving the more casual players back into the game every so often, and that kind of demographic I am sure is inclined to drop real $$ on the cash shop.

-No expansion. Yep, some people really hate the idea I’m sure. I’m sure there’s people out there who really adore how things are now. That’s fine but not my cup of tea. As things are, I would much rather wait around a year or so with no more updates for a big expansion with new classes ,races, weapons, gear, skins, pvp game modes, skills, storyline and massive maps etc than getting drip fed updates with often times dry and empty content that doesn’t last me more than a day.

-Pvp. Pvp needs more game modes! There needs to be more things to do there, and it would really open up the door for this ‘esports’ crap anet keep pushing for. It’s not gonna happen with the state of things at the moment. Pvp could also use some new unique rewards that cannot be obtainable in any other game mode.

-WvW. I have no motivation at all to play it except when I need badges for legendaries. There’s been some work here, the new mistforged skins and the seasonal title tracks is a step in the right direction. It even motivated me, who hate’s wvw to actually go out and do it to get the title done for the skins. We need more of this! More unique rewards here!

I’m a very dedicated player to this game with around 6k hours logged. I was an original GW1 player for many years and when I learned there was going to be GW2, I was the first one aboard the hype train. I pre-ordered 3 collector’s editions and dropped a lot of money on them here in Australia. I have loved this game and still do but to say it’s flawless, I cannot do. There’s some stuff here I think could really make this game so much better if it was addressed.

(edited by J Eberle.9312)

Vayne.8563

So, what do you want?

The player base was divided long before the release of Factions. You had the PvEers and the PvPers. The PvEers focused mainly on farming UW and FoW while the PvPers focused on HA and GvG.

Not what they meant at all, but they did also say they had too many PvP types which divided players. But you could buy Factions and not own Prophecies at all. It was a stand alone game. That’s what they said they wouldn’t be doing.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

sees the word “expansion”
I stopped reading right there. This is a dead horse TC…stop beating it.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

So far my list is:
permanent content
expansion
instanced raids
Cantha

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Love this game.

Love the organic evolution of it.

This method is novel and amazing,

Unfortunately, not everyone is open to new ways of thinking.

That’s why there are so many games in the market….

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I am starting to get tired of all these expansion threads.

GW2 is in my opinion in a realy good spot. I realy like that I can tend to some alt playing and PvP, WvW and lot’s of other stuff while I wait for the LS update every two weeks. If it takes to long I do something else IRL. In other games where small updates and bugfixes accurs once a month at best and finally an expansion arrives each year and you play it for a weak and then it is boring again. You do some alt stuff for a month or two and then there is nothing to do for a year or at best a month when something small has updated that will be over in 5 minutes.

I am still enjoying the stuff that came with the recent LS update and I still havent found all the lost coins for example. I have alot of more places to investigate.

Finally I would like to say; you all who say an expansion is better becouse we will get alot of stuff and with the LS update is nothing compaired to an expansion. Well I havent seen an expansionpack for GW2 so I have no clue if it has more content than we got from a years LS. It is so silly to compair GW2 LS with another games Expansion even if it is GW1, we don’t know what would have happened. All I know is that the Developers wouldn’t be able to take players feedback for one content at a time and I think it would have been even worse than it is now with comments like ‘Devs don’t listen to us’. It takes time before they can release the stuff they have done by listening at us and with the expansionpack model we would see these changes once a year or maby small stuff at the monthly updates. I know from playing other MMO’s with this model and reading their forums.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Things I don’t like:

-Lack of Endgame. This game doesn’t provide much direction past lvl 80. You have to make your own goals. And while it is nice to have that freedom, you soon realize there’s not much to do once you achieve them. In other games you are stuck grinding away at stats and once you have them.. you grind away for the next best thing. That’s boring and horrible and I won’t return to doing that.. but it did keep me playing and interested in the game. Here, you grind away for the skins you want and then when you have them.. well.. then what? I’ve pvp’d and gotten the titles and rank that I want, WvW is something I hate and I have run every dungeon more times than is healthy to comment on. My solution would be to go down the track GW1 went and provide new permanent content that is truelly challenging and rewarding for those who want to invest more time in the game. ‘Hard mode’ settings for dungeons with unique rewards and ‘challenge’ missions would really make people compeditive and committed to the game for long periods of time.

In all those other games it are maybe 5% of the players that are really into raiding and follow that endgame vision.
And i suspect the same will happen with all those “hard mode” stuff .. so no .. its not a solution
to create content for 5% of the players and let the rest stand in the rain.

And btw.: look at Ambrite Weapons .. they are directly a result from all these posts from players that wanted zone specific rewards. So there you have it now grind for them as long as you have all and we get the next set.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Why should we not log in though :S we enjoy the game, it’s the reason we’re on the forums now posting our opinion. What you’re offering isn’t a solution but a pseudo feeling of receiving what we’re asking for

Ok log in, but don’t play LS

This is basically how it works in games that do expansions.No new content for months on end.
It’s what you’re asking for, so don’t play LS for 1 year. There’s your expansion.

Except if you don’t play it for one year, you can’t go back and play a year’s worth of it. So it’s not an expansion, and will never be as good as that. They keep making temporary content as a carrot to try and get people to log in, but it will never be ‘an expansions worth of content’ unless I can go back and play everything I missed.

Posted by: Gdb.3492

Gdb.3492

Myself I’m not playing LS anymore. Also why do you think they’re introducing the STORY JOURNAL ? Make 2+2. Expansion = Will never happen.

(edited by Gdb.3492)

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

Except if you don’t play it for one year, you can’t go back and play a year’s worth of it. So it’s not an expansion, and will never be as good as that. They keep making temporary content as a carrot to try and get people to log in, but it will never be ‘an expansions worth of content’ unless I can go back and play everything I missed.

Why do people always postulate an expansion for GW2 would contain more/better content as the LW seasons plus feature packs? There are no proves for this assumption. While waiting for an expansion there would be no new content for one or more years. An expansion can’t fill this gap. With LW plus feature patch you will not have a gap. When season 2 ends season 3 will start a few months later. Between the seasons we will see a feature pack with a high odd.

At this rate for season 2 we will get a number of dynamic events equal to 5-6 new maps. We will get a dozens of new world bosses and hundreds of new recipes. We also get many new stat combos and weapon sets.

I can also make assumptions: the first four episodes are the Flame&Frost equivalents. The episodes afterwards will be quadrupled in content.

The size of a map is not important. You could triple the size southsun. People would still ignore it for most of the time. Important is the content and it’s density. The density of events in Dry Top until now is higher than in most other maps.
Two episodes are two less far an evaluation of season 2 like the first two episodes of season 1 where to less for an proper evaluation of season 1. A first decent evaluation can be done after 6-10 episodes.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Why do people always postulate an expansion for GW2 would contain more/better content as the LW seasons plus feature packs? There are no proves for this assumption. While waiting for an expansion there would be no new content for one or more years. An expansion can’t fill this gap. With LW plus feature patch you will not have a gap. When season 2 ends season 3 will start a few months later. Between the seasons we will see a feature pack with a high odd.

At this rate for season 2 we will get a number of dynamic events equal to 5-6 new maps. We will get a dozens of new world bosses and hundreds of new recipes. We also get many new stat combos and weapon sets.

I can also make assumptions: the first four episodes are the Flame&Frost equivalents. The episodes afterwards will be quadrupled in content.

The size of a map is not important. You could triple the size southsun. People would still ignore it for most of the time. Important is the content and it’s density. The density of events in Dry Top until now is higher than in most other maps.
Two episodes are two less far an evaluation of season 2 like the first two episodes of season 1 where to less for an proper evaluation of season 1. A first decent evaluation can be done after 6-10 episodes.

I’m not disagreeing. What I AM saying is that if I miss this content, I can NEVER go play it. With an expansion. I could.

Vayne.8563

I’m not disagreeing. What I AM saying is that if I miss this content, I can NEVER go play it. With an expansion. I could.

That was true for season one but not for season two. It’s a complaint about what already is past, but not what’s happening now.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Why could you not play this content if you missed it?

Gdb.3492

Why Could I ?

Posted by: Mizu.9387

Mizu.9387

How about you log in once every 2 weeks, but DON’T play the content, do this for 1 year. It should feel like an expansion then.

Welcome to WvW buddy…

Sif Urkraft

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

yes we need expansion and we need one so bad

Vayne.8563

Why Could I ?

Because the new journal not only let’s you play the content whenever you want, but even replay it if you want.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why Could I ?

Because it is permanent and accessible forever?

Gdb.3492

What is permanent and accesible forever LOL. Please are you taking fun of us?…

Vayne.8563

All the new living story stuff. It’s in a journal. Every single bit of it can be done later. You have to log in during the living story for a few seconds, click on the stupid thing over your minimap and bam, unlocked forever in your journal. Playable and replayable.

Gdb.3492

All the new living story stuff. It’s in a journal. Every single bit of it can be done later. You have to log in during the living story for a few seconds, click on the stupid thing over your minimap and bam, unlocked forever in your journal. Playable and replayable.

“….You have to log in during the living story for a few seconds…”

This is your answer. No need to reply.

Belenwyn.8674

Ban season 1 out of your had. This experience is not longer valid. Focus at season 2 and your experiences with it.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Oh my gosh. If you would prefer to not bother logging into the game, the content is still permanent and accessible….for a fee.

Still permanent and accessible.

Permanent and accessible.

Oh, and you don’t even have to click the little green star. Just log a character into the actual game world. Voila!

Vayne.8563

“….You have to log in during the living story for a few seconds…”

This is your answer. No need to reply.

No you can buy it with gems or gold if you want to do it if you don’t log in. It’s STILL accessible. It’s a small enough amount of gold that it should be relatively easy to acquire.

That’s your answer. No need to reply.

Gdb.3492

I smell 2 kids still at home with moma and dady…. Otherwise you would know what does it mean to have a life.

Logging in for an extraordinarily small amount of time once every two weeks isn’t an imposition for people with lives. If it does manage to be an insurmountable wall for you, I suggest you uninstall because your life is far too busy to waste time on something silly like video games.

Lol what about a technical impossibility to log in the game? :O

I will explain by the way. Let’s take a game with expansion packs like Gw1 for example, and a game witouth expansion packs but that requires to log in for 30 sec 10 sec or whatever is it to unlock the content, also you can buy that content on the tp. Okay fine, follow the reasoning:

1st case: I can buy an expnasion pack with massive and huge contents for about 40$.
2nd case: I buy a small little piece of nothing new apart npc talking for about 20$ and I will have to spend more 20$ to pay the next step of the story and so on.

Simple Logic. By the way I will stop posting because you’re not understanding what I mean and because we’re going off topic. Who’s smart enough doesn’t need more words.

(edited by Gdb.3492)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Still permanent and accessible when the ‘technical impossibility’ is alleviated.

Vayne.8563

I smell 2 kids still at home with moma and dady…. Otherwise you would know what does it mean to have a life.

Logging in for an extraordinarily small amount of time once every two weeks isn’t an imposition for people with lives. If it does manage to be an insurmountable wall for you, I suggest you uninstall because your life is far too busy to waste time on something silly like video games.

Lol what about a technical impossibility to log in the game? :O

I will explain by the way. Let’s take a game with expansion packs like Gw1 for example, and a game witouth expansion packs but that requires to log in for 30 sec 10 sec or whatever is it to unlock the content, also you can buy that content on the tp. Okay fine, follow the reasoning:

1st case: I can buy an expnasion pack with massive and huge contents for about 40$.
2nd case: I buy a small little piece of nothing new apart npc talking for about 20$ and I will have to spend more 20$ to pay the next step of the story and so on.

Simple Logic. By the way I will stop posting because you’re not understanding what I mean and because we’re going off topic. Who’s smart enough doesn’t need more words.

Or just use in game gold. Simple really. Or 2.00 or so. Which is what it actually is.

However, if you don’t have time to play an MMO don’t complain about not playing one. Because in other MMOs if you fall behind you can’t find anyone to do older content with anyway and you won’t be geared up enough to do new content.

Void argument is void.

Belenwyn.8674

If you do not like the the rewards and achievements point you get for 200 gems then do not buy it. It is your choice. You can still enjoy Dry Top as a permanent addition. You can enjoy the story as a guest you can also do the challenges in the instances. The only thing you are missing are several non-essential rewards and achievement points.

It is similar to the quest packs in LOTRO. You can buy them if you like them or ignore them if you dislike the content. I personally did it with several packs. LW is even better since it does not gate the “real content” like events, weapon sets, AP for the region, world bosses, recipes etc.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

So far my list is:
permanent content
expansion
instanced raids
Cantha

That’s actually my list too. I’m expecting it to get more words in the near future.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Northernnliht.9514

Northernnliht.9514

If we compare gw2 with WoW:
Currently Blizzard only have about 250 employees working on wow. The rest of them are working on other titels, while ANet have a staff consisting of about 370 employees ONLY working on Gw2.

They have also stated that they have som huge gw2 related content being workd on in the background.

I think it is pretty safe to say that we will be getting an expansion.

FS – The Zaiashen Order [TZO]

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

To which they could post a few pics or even a video, would it kill them to bring our hopes up just a tiny bit of a fraction? Or is it easier to ignore the fan base totally until they go play other games?

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

To be honest, I don’t want anet to release an expansion. I hate gated content where I have to pay to actually play. I’d rather have them release small pieces every 2 weeks for free. I don’t know why people want to pay that badly… logic sometime.

To which they could post a few pics or even a video, would it kill them to bring our hopes up just a tiny bit of a fraction? Or is it easier to ignore the fan base totally until they go play other games?

“our” hopes ? Didn’t know I wanted an expansion. This is new to me.

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Yes with the new LS 2 things are better but with Anet’s big silence treatment with no expansion pack in sight and still unwilling to give us the time of day, I’m now down to dailies and monthlies and 1 day of LS per 2 weeks. At this rate even the added content will take a full 4 months to give us 1 map, proof look at Dry Top after 1 month of content it’s 25% the size of Brisband Wildland.

It takes 2 months for 1 map to be created and ready based on 5 years of production for 25 zones and 5 cities which is what GW 2 started with and don’t forget Anet had 170 employees when it started the game by the time they finished it they were about 330 and now 370.

The company is getting bigger yearly and still producing at a freak’in turtle pace. I started on day one of GW 1. Anet’s the company that gave me faith in MMO’s and also the one who’s making me loose faith in MMO’s.

So I guess It’s dailies until the 29th and then I’ll see you back in Dry Top for a full day of excitement in 12% of added zone content. Anet you’re becoming a big let down.

GW1 was also a single player game for the most part so added in maps would not make it feel more void of ppl this is why we have mega servers for GW2 so they can add in maps with out spreading ppl out so far that you will never be playing with other ppl. So yes the first part of GW2 was about using current maps to tell story’s because it WOULD of made the game feel not like an mmorpg now after the switch maps should be coming out a great deal more often.

To use the past of what happen to down grade what we are getting now is a very bad way of looking at games and life. Its the reason why ppl mess up once in any thing and simply gives up. You are not letting humans fail at something and to learn from that failure the main thing about being a human.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

You know, I get what OP is saying, but is there some kind of MMO out there that I’ve never heard of that has completely new content available every single day?

Because honestly what it sounds like is that OP wants each LS release to fill an entire two week’s worth of content so by the time the next one comes out he can move on to the next one without ever having to go back to old content.

I’ve played pretty much every major MMO and whenever there was an expansion I would play for two-three weeks, hit the new level cap and complete all of the new dungeons save for probably a raid, at which point the next 6month-1yr ends up with me playing the same raids/dungeons/content over and over until the next expansion, which can also be completed in a matter of weeks. That’s how it has been done in every other MMO.

Why is GW2 being held to some ridiculous standard where each partial update needs to completely occupy players’ time for a full two weeks when most full expansions barely occupy people that long—and that’s with a full blown paid for with real money expansion.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Jski.6180

You know, I get what OP is saying, but is there some kind of MMO out there that I’ve never heard of that has completely new content available every single day?

Because honestly what it sounds like is that OP wants each LS release to fill an entire two week’s worth of content so by the time the next one comes out he can move on to the next one without ever having to go back to old content.

I’ve played pretty much every major MMO and whenever there was an expansion I would play for two-three weeks, hit the new level cap and complete all of the new dungeons save for probably a raid, at which point the next 6month-1yr ends up with me playing the same raids/dungeons/content over and over until the next expansion, which can also be completed in a matter of weeks. That’s how it has been done in every other MMO.

Why is GW2 being held to some ridiculous standard where each partial update needs to completely occupy players’ time for a full two weeks when most full expansions barely occupy people that long—and that’s with a full blown paid for with real money expansion.

The trick most mmorpgs do is make you wait a day before you can do each part of there expansion story’s to try to give it more life (a trick ff11 did) it was annoying and just because something take longer dose not make it better so i agree with what your saying.

So diversity of content (more updates but smaller) > more content (less update but bigger).

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

You hit the nail on the head.

Most of the complainers finish what they are given and expect more immediately right after. It is impossible to keep up with such demand.

Let’s face it, if they opened up try top off the bat, gave us three episodes of the LS, by the end of the week, or SOONER, people would complain and want more content already.

And those that say ‘a whole expansion would satisfy me more months!’ No it wouldn’t. Stop lying to yourself. You would race through it as fast as you can, do everything to just say you did it, then say ‘that was all? I want more!’. Again, if, at the time, a WoW lead developer says they can’t keep up with demand, what makes you think anet will?

This isn’t something that mmo developers need to work faster on, but that the players need to learn to slow down.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

To be honest, I don’t want anet to release an expansion. I hate gated content where I have to pay to actually play. I’d rather have them release small pieces every 2 weeks for free. I don’t know why people want to pay that badly… logic sometime.

It makes you feel so much more important if you have payed 40 bucks, and after 2 weeks when you burned through the content you complain : Oh my gawd .. thats all where i waited for a year and i payed 40 bucks for it .. are you serious ? Where is the endgame .. i want a refund.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Jski.6180

It makes you feel so much more important if you have payed 40 bucks, and after 2 weeks when you burned through the content you complain : Oh my gawd .. thats all where i waited for a year and i payed 40 bucks for it .. are you serious ? Where is the endgame .. i want a refund.

What do you think end game is? Is it content that less then 1% of mmorp pop. can run (raids)? Or is it something like what WvW is in gw2?

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I don’t need endgame, I rather to have new story for my characters every 2 weeks rather than big raids that I never interested to do.

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

I don’t agree with the OP. I love the current model, where it allows me to tune in every 2 weeks to watch the story progress.
I can’t see how this is not an expansion (sorry, but I can’t), and I personally love that I can get it episode by episode, instead of in one big dump.

P.S. It should be noted that I play GW2 quite casually. To me, it seems ANet is trying to create a casual atmosphere, where people play a little bit all the time. Opposed to playing 8 hours a day for 2 months, then going to another game while waiting for the next expansion.
And that is what I want as well. So, thank you ArenaNet!

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Well, part blame on NCsoft, since it seems they’re now ready to do expansions to GW2 with ANet.

According to one player, ANet gets budgets from NCsoft to work on GW2.

Players have been complaining on why NCsoft isn’t working with ANet for an expansion earlier….

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

Seems like now the discussion has changed to “What is Endgame?”. OK I’ll bite.

Depends on the person. For some Endgame is PvP, for others it’s Raids. In GW we had PvP(HA/RA/TA/GvG) and Skin grinding(farm for greens, do UW/FoW for mats to make Obsidian Armor). In GW2 we have the same thing, PvP(WvWvW/Arenas) and PvE(Dungeon farming for tokens for armor/weapons, World Boss farming).

The problem isn’t that there is no endgame in GW2 it’s that the Endgame was too easy. The hardest thing to do in GW was obtain Obsidian Armor. You had to farm both UW and FoW for mats to make it and once you had the mats you had to fight your way to the armorsmith in FoW. In GW2 we have Dungeon farming. Dungeons are now basically just “speed-runs” for tokens. People do speedruns and have what they want from that dungeon in hrs/days. This is why people say there is no endgame in GW2.

Jski.6180

Seems like now the discussion has changed to “What is Endgame?”. OK I’ll bite.

Depends on the person. For some Endgame is PvP, for others it’s Raids. In GW we had PvP(HA/RA/TA/GvG) and Skin grinding(farm for greens, do UW/FoW for mats to make Obsidian Armor). In GW2 we have the same thing, PvP(WvWvW/Arenas) and PvE(Dungeon farming for tokens for armor/weapons, World Boss farming).

The problem isn’t that there is no endgame in GW2 it’s that the Endgame was too easy. The hardest thing to do in GW was obtain Obsidian Armor. You had to farm both UW and FoW for mats to make it and once you had the mats you had to fight your way to the armorsmith in FoW. In GW2 we have Dungeon farming. Dungeons are now basically just “speed-runs” for tokens. People do speedruns and have what they want from that dungeon in hrs/days. This is why people say there is no endgame in GW2.

Well ask your self what was “hard” about getting Obsidian Armor from what understand it was a lot about doing the events over and over grinding out the mats to the point where ppl ran bots and Anet was ok with that in GW1. That the thing about video games they are still GAMES at the end of the day once you know how to play them and all the tricks playing vs an Ai even a good Ai its not hard to beat. For a lot of ppl time is how hard something is but time is also something ppl call grind. Say if they did add in content that took weeks to beat not because of event after event and cs after cs but because of you had to grind out something to get to the next step most ppl would hate it but some would view that as hard content.

The way GW2 is doing this as in the LS being mostly small events with lots of cs and story that required to make it though the story and paring it with added events that maybe more on the grindly side but not required to progress the story i think makes a “best of both worlds” for updates every 2 weeks and a type of pve “end game.”

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

At this point in the dev cycle of GW1 we had 4 new classes. 4. Not too mention all of the skills, maps, missions, story, armor sets, etc. etc. I see it as a huge step back in terms of quantity and arguably quality.

We should already have:

• New Legendaries
  • New Legendary Acquisition System
  • New Playable Race(s)
  • New Classes
  • New Weapons for existing classes (i.e. Hammer for Ranger GS for Necro…Just arbitrary examples)
  • New Utility Skills
  • Full new regions of maps
  • New PvP Modes
  • Housing that was supposed to be in at launch
  • Polymock

I could go on but won’t. It’s absolutely disappointing the disparity of quality/quantity of content from GW1 to Gw2 when you look at them over the same span of launch to 2 years after launch

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Jski.6180

At this point in the dev cycle of GW1 we had 4 new classes. 4. Not too mention all of the skills, maps, missions, story, armor sets, etc. etc. I see it as a huge step back in terms of quantity and arguably quality.

We should already have:

• New Legendaries
  • New Legendary Acquisition System
  • New Playable Race(s)
  • New Classes
  • New Weapons for existing classes (i.e. Hammer for Ranger GS for Necro…Just arbitrary examples)
  • New Utility Skills
  • Full new regions of maps
  • New PvP Modes
  • Housing that was supposed to be in at launch
  • Polymock

I could go on but won’t. It’s absolutely disappointing the disparity of quality/quantity of content from GW1 to Gw2 when you look at them over the same span of launch to 2 years after launch

We also had in GW1 major locks on the classes each class filled a roll so its not hard to say we will add in a new tank or healer or dps in GW2 its more of every one fills every roll so its a lot harder to add in classes that feel unique in GW2 then it was in GW1. I guess you can have 3 classes that play just like ele but why not just play ele? We got new skills but each skill in GW2 is more then just one effect a lot of them combo with others set up so to just “vomit” new skills into the game not going to do all that much other then just make added dead skills (no one useing new skills) or simply kill old skills much like what happen in GW1.

We should have what? The fact that you want more shows Anet is doing things right you would not want more if you did not like what you had now you must never head of the ideal “always leave them wanting more” and that would be a better thing then just giving ppl things they do not want.

Your simply asked for the world and then some with out even thinking what type of time and though would go into the game to make these things you want “by now” should be. You can keep added in content as much as you want but if its random content with no aim other then to add content it becomes pointless. Add in new races that have no PS no home city no races only spell armor etc.. you can pump out a lot but its pointless. The same goes for skill skin etc.. if you just simply put content out with nothing behind it the content becomes pointless. Its nothing more then pix on a screen at that point.