At this rate...a big let down.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

I’m fine with the Living Story updates every 2 weeks. I’d just like to see the quality of the updates be better. If A-Net were to add an encounter that wasn’t just “stack here and DPS” in a Dungeon/Mission type format I’d be ecstatic(not that the final boss in LS2 Ep1 wasn’t good with the crystals play a small part).

A-Net learned that the players were getting too good with encounters in Prophecies and Factions and for Nightfall they gave the mobs certain skill bars that made them harder. They also added the Monster Skills to the Bosses. This made the encounters more fun for me. Different monsters in the mobs would have different skill bars giving them different roles in their group. It meant I had to really think about MY skill bar as well as the skill bar of my team (be it Henchman/Heroes or other players). In GW2 we don’t have encounters like this. We basically run into DPS mobs and that’s it. Making an encounter more difficult ( and for me more fun) doesn’t mean giving a Monster more health and an immunity to certain things. Making them more challenging via different skill sets does.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

At this point in the dev cycle of GW1 we had 4 new classes. 4. Not too mention all of the skills, maps, missions, story, armor sets, etc. etc. I see it as a huge step back in terms of quantity and arguably quality.

We should already have:

• New Legendaries
  • New Legendary Acquisition System
  • New Playable Race(s)
  • New Classes
  • New Weapons for existing classes (i.e. Hammer for Ranger GS for Necro…Just arbitrary examples)
  • New Utility Skills
  • Full new regions of maps
  • New PvP Modes
  • Housing that was supposed to be in at launch
  • Polymock

I could go on but won’t. It’s absolutely disappointing the disparity of quality/quantity of content from GW1 to Gw2 when you look at them over the same span of launch to 2 years after launch

We also had in GW1 major locks on the classes each class filled a roll so its not hard to say we will add in a new tank or healer or dps in GW2 its more of every one fills every roll so its a lot harder to add in classes that feel unique in GW2 then it was in GW1. I guess you can have 3 classes that play just like ele but why not just play ele? We got new skills but each skill in GW2 is more then just one effect a lot of them combo with others set up so to just “vomit” new skills into the game not going to do all that much other then just make added dead skills (no one useing new skills) or simply kill old skills much like what happen in GW1.

We should have what? The fact that you want more shows Anet is doing things right you would not want more if you did not like what you had now you must never head of the ideal “always leave them wanting more” and that would be a better thing then just giving ppl things they do not want.

Your simply asked for the world and then some with out even thinking what type of time and though would go into the game to make these things you want “by now” should be. You can keep added in content as much as you want but if its random content with no aim other then to add content it becomes pointless. Add in new races that have no PS no home city no races only spell armor etc.. you can pump out a lot but its pointless. The same goes for skill skin etc.. if you just simply put content out with nothing behind it the content becomes pointless. Its nothing more then pix on a screen at that point.

Amusing to say the least that you conveniently left out the fact that we had two full stand alone games in the form of Factions and Nightfall for what we have now in GW2. It’s a huge difference in sheer volume of actual playable content. You are totally entitled to your opinion of those other things but in terms of game play content(story, maps etc.) : It’s not even a contest. GW1 has its predecessor beat by a mile.

EDIT: PvP isn’t a contest either. The number of modes and meta shifts for the game made it way more engaging at the same point in lifespan for each game. They didn’t do balance as much as shift the meta to keep the game fresh. PvP is so stale with a single game mode. It’s disheartening.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Iason Evan.3806)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

To be honest, I don’t want anet to release an expansion. I hate gated content where I have to pay to actually play. I’d rather have them release small pieces every 2 weeks for free. I don’t know why people want to pay that badly… logic sometime.

It makes you feel so much more important if you have payed 40 bucks, and after 2 weeks when you burned through the content you complain : Oh my gawd .. thats all where i waited for a year and i payed 40 bucks for it .. are you serious ? Where is the endgame .. i want a refund.

What do you think end game is? Is it content that less then 1% of mmorp pop. can run (raids)? Or is it something like what WvW is in gw2?

I think “endgame” is something that doesn’t really exist. In the end its just the repeating of content since no game can’t create so much new content that you have something fresh every day.

Personally i never liked raiding, so personally i like the “endgame” of GW2 much more since here i can do more or less what ever i want because most stuff helps me earn gold and so i can buy new stuff after a while.
In raid-centric games if you don’t raid you will never see the better stuff so those games annoyed me more and more with the time.

Else i also prefer something new every 2 weeks instead of an bigger expansion that lasts for 2-3 weeks and then 11 months with nothing new at all.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

I think it is pretty safe to say that we will be getting an expansion.

To which they could post a few pics or even a video, would it kill them to bring our hopes up just a tiny bit of a fraction? Or is it easier to ignore the fan base totally until they go play other games?

Are you kidding? If they released even a single screenshot, hell if they even announced an expansion, within a week the forum would be overrun with:

-“WTF, why isn’t the expansion out?”
-“Anet lied to us again….”,
-“They need to focus on fixing the game not making an expansion”
-“The expansion better include Cantha or I am leaving GW2”
-“The expansion will probably just break the [insert-persons-main-class-choice] even more since they hate [insert class again]s more than any other class.”
-“So they announced the expansion, why won’t they give us a release date? The lack of communication is absurd.”

If they are making an expansion, they should wait till it’s mostly finished to even tell anyone at all. So their announcement could include relevant info of what’s absolutely going into the expansion. If, during developing some part of the expansion, some things had to be changed or removed for whatever reason, and they already announced that feature(s) they will never…..EVER….live it down. Especially on this forum. The amount of “Anet lied again” posts from the whiny, exaggerating, self-entitled babies that plague this (and virtually any) forum would be completely over the top.

There is no reason to open the floodgates by announcing something until it is concrete.

Oh and just because you feel ignored (and yes some others, too, obviously) that does not equate to the player base feeling ignored. When will people learn that just because they feel a specific way about something doesn’t mean everyone else does? Dear forum posters, you speak for yourself. Period. Forum whiners are the vast minority of the player base.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

At this point in the dev cycle of GW1 we had 4 new classes. 4. Not too mention all of the skills, maps, missions, story, armor sets, etc. etc. I see it as a huge step back in terms of quantity and arguably quality.

We should already have:

• New Legendaries
  • New Playable Race(s)
  • New Classes
  • New Weapons for existing classes (i.e. Hammer for Ranger GS for Necro…Just arbitrary examples)
  • New Utility Skills
  • New PvP Modes
  • Polymock

I could go on but won’t. It’s absolutely disappointing the disparity of quality/quantity of content from GW1 to Gw2 when you look at them over the same span of launch to 2 years after launch

We also had in GW1 major locks on the classes each class filled a roll so its not hard to say we will add in a new tank or healer or dps in GW2 its more of every one fills every roll so its a lot harder to add in classes that feel unique in GW2 then it was in GW1. I guess you can have 3 classes that play just like ele but why not just play ele? We got new skills but each skill in GW2 is more then just one effect a lot of them combo with others set up so to just “vomit” new skills into the game not going to do all that much other then just make added dead skills (no one useing new skills) or simply kill old skills much like what happen in GW1.

We should have what? The fact that you want more shows Anet is doing things right you would not want more if you did not like what you had now you must never head of the ideal “always leave them wanting more” and that would be a better thing then just giving ppl things they do not want.

Your simply asked for the world and then some with out even thinking what type of time and though would go into the game to make these things you want “by now” should be. You can keep added in content as much as you want but if its random content with no aim other then to add content it becomes pointless. Add in new races that have no PS no home city no races only spell armor etc.. you can pump out a lot but its pointless. The same goes for skill skin etc.. if you just simply put content out with nothing behind it the content becomes pointless. Its nothing more then pix on a screen at that point.

Amusing to say the least that you conveniently left out the fact that we had two full stand alone games in the form of Factions and Nightfall for what we have now in GW2. It’s a huge difference in sheer volume of actual playable content. You are totally entitled to your opinion of those other things but in terms of game play content(story, maps etc.) : It’s not even a contest. GW1 has its predecessor beat by a mile.

EDIT: PvP isn’t a contest either. The number of modes and meta shifts for the game made it way more engaging at the same point in lifespan for each game. They didn’t do balance as much as shift the meta to keep the game fresh. PvP is so stale with a single game mode. It’s disheartening.

For game play and pushing mmorpgs over all i think GW2 out shines the niche game GW1 any day because GW1 was a niche game it was applying to a very small gamer base compared to what GW2 has done. Ya if your in the niche group the only games you can truly enjoy would be GW1 and other games like GW1 but that is a very small group of ppl and why GW1 life span is over.

GW1 was a good game but it had no real lasting power it had to reinvent it self with every expansion to stay alive nearly making it into a new game each time with out any expansion it has become a “zombly” game. GW2 can stand with out expansion it can even stand with out LS add on because its not made for one group of ppl. Its made for the vase majority of gamers.

That and GW1 was still at its core a single player game that was online for pve content. Its not as hard to add in content to games where you can have npc help you do all the new events where every thing is scripted even the players your playing with. There no “if we add in this mob and drops this will it stop ppl from going after this other mob” or map etc..

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Ultimately, this all seems like more fallout from the utterly disastrous strategy of making Season One temporary content.

Season Two and the late-but-sensible decision to stop throwing away new content should help to rectify things eventually, but it will take time.

Until then, I suppose we can keep digging…

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Galphar.3901

We should already have:

• New Legendaries
  • New Playable Race(s)
  • New Classes
  • New Utility Skills
  • New PvP Modes
  • Polymock

For game play and pushing mmorpgs over all i think GW2 out shines the niche game GW1 any day because GW1 was a niche game it was applying to a very small gamer base compared to what GW2 has done. Ya if your in the niche group the only games you can truly enjoy would be GW1 and other games like GW1 but that is a very small group of ppl and why GW1 life span is over.

GW1 was a good game but it had no real lasting power it had to reinvent it self with every expansion to stay alive nearly making it into a new game each time with out any expansion it has become a “zombly” game. GW2 can stand with out expansion it can even stand with out LS add on because its not made for one group of ppl. Its made for the vase majority of gamers.

That and GW1 was still at its core a single player game that was online for pve content. Its not as hard to add in content to games where you can have npc help you do all the new events where every thing is scripted even the players your playing with. There no “if we add in this mob and drops this will it stop ppl from going after this other mob” or map etc..

And in my opinion this is why GW is a better game. It’s also why a vast majority of MMO’s are failing now. If game developers would go back to the “niche” games then they would have a better chance of succeeding in the vast MMO market. Now all you see are games that are trying to be everything to everyone and succeeding at none.

And who said GW is dead? Last I saw the servers were still up and the population is still good. Heck, I’ve even seen post on these forums asking about GW and if there were still guilds actively playing there.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

And who said GW is dead? Last I saw the servers were still up and the population is still good. Heck, I’ve even seen post on these forums asking about GW and if there were still guilds actively playing there.

So why are you here ? If everything is so much better there why don’t you play your GW1 and let us enjoy GW2 ?

For me GW1 was a terrible game, and i would have never touched GW2 at all if it would have been just another GW1 with better graphics. And i now a lot people that also wouldn’t haved touched it and i have to convinced them telling them : no .. its NOT like GW1 .. its a real MMO.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Galphar.3901

So why are you here ? If everything is so much better there why don’t you play your GW1 and let us enjoy GW2 ?

For me GW1 was a terrible game, and i would have never touched GW2 at all if it would have been just another GW1 with better graphics. And i now a lot people that also wouldn’t haved touched it and i have to convinced them telling them : no .. its NOT like GW1 .. its a real MMO.

Who said I don’t still play GW? I return to it at times and work on my HoM and also for nostalgia reasons.

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

lol, someone’s kitten

(edited by Ultimaistanza.4793)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Ultimately, this all seems like more fallout from the utterly disastrous strategy of making Season One temporary content.

Season Two and the late-but-sensible decision to stop throwing away new content should help to rectify things eventually, but it will take time.

Until then, I suppose we can keep digging…

I agree, somewhat, but even if Season 1 was permanent, it still would’ve been pretty shallow in terms of content.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

And in my opinion this is why GW is a better game. It’s also why a vast majority of MMO’s are failing now. If game developers would go back to the “niche” games then they would have a better chance of succeeding in the vast MMO market. Now all you see are games that are trying to be everything to everyone and succeeding at none.

Its sounds like you like GW1 because it was not an mmorpg and GW2 is that just a truth you need to deal with. Also GW2 out of all the ppl saying its dead because of this or that game has not died its out lasted them all ppl jump to the new shinny hype and then come back to GW2.

Games like Divinity: Original Sin are a nich game that dose not need to be online to play it can have some coop but you do not need it. AND its a good game for that if it was an mmorpg it would not work this is ture for a lot of games. If GW1 was a true mmorpg it would of not worked. That game needed npc helpers to get you though content and ppl who played it like it that way but in an open world game like an mmorpg that simply dose not work or your going to have maps full of npc the same npc over and over lagging ppl.

So play what you like stop trying to make games into things they are not and stop trying to make games you have played into things they where not too because its disregardful to the games of the past.

Just because you have a few ppl playing it dose not make it alive though its about the game makers and money at the end of the day if the game makers are not making money off something they stop making content for the game if the game is not making money any more the pop. or at least the pop. willing to pay money for the game dose not want to support it any longer. GW1 is a dead game because new content is never coming out for it because its not worth the time for the game makers.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

So far S2 LS feels significantly better to me then S1. LS S1 i really hated all the zerging content (aside from marionette, and the final fight). S1 story back then felt really slow to me, and there was just a lack of interest when I was playing it because to me all it was ,was do it within 2 weeks or never experience it again meta /w huge zerg/farming group.

With the direction LS 2 is going now(Anet learned a bit from LS 1’s first run) the world feels much more alive and actually feels like a continuation of your PS. When I say the world feels alive I mean just look at the WPs You have vines traveling throughout tyria entangling them siphoning and destroying them. Not sure what other game has that sort of thing.

Now for releasing new content for things like races and new zones. As you can see we’ve got dry top and a extension of it within two chapters of the LS. With this sort of model you can release things like a new race when it fits in with the story(which is ideal). So I would not rule out new races out until next year. It’s certainly a possibility. Anyways I really like the direction the LS is going now and can’t wait for the next release if it keeps up with the way it’s been delivering content.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I agree, somewhat, but even if Season 1 was permanent, it still would’ve been pretty shallow in terms of content.

I think Season One would have had more depth if it had been designed to be replayable and permanent, but that is probably something of a chicken-and-egg argument, and I think we can both agree that despite a lot of hard work, it fell short.

The silver lining is that I do think they learned some hard lessons from the experience, and because of them the future for the game is brighter.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I have the feeling that those who complain about lack of permanent content are slumming here from their subscription MMO and are upset when they return here after exhausting the content in their “primary” MMO, find that they can’t play the content that came and went during their time away. They find it unfair that they have to “devote” themselves to this MMO to experience the content. That they can’t take time off because they will miss something.

Welcome to TV before reruns, syndication, streaming, DVRs and box sets. Now we have a DVR. Maybe we’ll get a box set for season 1 someday.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Wolfheart.7483

I have the feeling that those who complain about lack of permanent content are slumming here from their subscription MMO and are upset when they return here after exhausting the content in their “primary” MMO, find that they can’t play the content that came and went during their time away. They find it unfair that they have to “devote” themselves to this MMO to experience the content. That they can’t take time off because they will miss something.

Welcome to TV before reruns, syndication, streaming, DVRs and box sets. Now we have a DVR. Maybe we’ll get a box set for season 1 someday.

Well they did say that Season 1 will be purchasable from the gem store later on just not right now.

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

To add to your post, I know some tv shows that released season 2 box set before season 1 because of some complication such as copy right.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

They find it unfair that they have to “devote” themselves to this MMO to experience the content. That they can’t take time off because they will miss something.

Well, S2 is supposed to be permanent.

And, one of the much touted advantages of GW2’s B2P model was the ability to take time off, even play another game concurrently, freely.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

But… I don’t want an expansion?
Like, I don’t really see the point “let’s have many months of content drought, then pay money for a new box, and then get all the content we would have gotten anyways, but in one big drop off instead of progressively over time”.
So.. instead of having dry top released over the course of a month, we’d get it all at once?
Or do people think because it’s called “an expansion” it will somehow magically be fundamentally different and better? what a laugh, that’s obviously not going to be the case, you’re just asking for it to be packaged differently. That’s it. People will blast through the content again, just like they did at release and just like they do with every patch, and then go back to complaining.

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

There is nothing wrong taking a break from GW2. It doesn’t need to have a raid tier calender of 6-12 hours of daily grindy content like other MMOs.

I think GW2 is best played in chunks. Thanks to the lack of monthly fee you can always quickly get back into it, and because there is no vertical gear or levelling grinds, when you have added more new content you can do it.

I know a lot of people who are unsatisfied every time they get a new bit of game of thrones. It makes them mad. they rather wanna wait three months and binge on the entire season in one sitting.

That’s okay. Others like myself, like the short bursts of content.

Galphar.3901

Its sounds like you like GW1 because it was not an mmorpg and GW2 is that just a truth you need to deal with. Also GW2 out of all the ppl saying its dead because of this or that game has not died its out lasted them all ppl jump to the new shinny hype and then come back to GW2.

Games like Divinity: Original Sin are a nich game that dose not need to be online to play it can have some coop but you do not need it. AND its a good game for that if it was an mmorpg it would not work this is ture for a lot of games. If GW1 was a true mmorpg it would of not worked. That game needed npc helpers to get you though content and ppl who played it like it that way but in an open world game like an mmorpg that simply dose not work or your going to have maps full of npc the same npc over and over lagging ppl.

So play what you like stop trying to make games into things they are not and stop trying to make games you have played into things they where not too because its disregardful to the games of the past.

Just because you have a few ppl playing it dose not make it alive though its about the game makers and money at the end of the day if the game makers are not making money off something they stop making content for the game if the game is not making money any more the pop. or at least the pop. willing to pay money for the game dose not want to support it any longer. GW1 is a dead game because new content is never coming out for it because its not worth the time for the game makers.

No I like GW because I had fun playing it. I left GW for a period of time after EotN and played WoW, SWToR, DDO, DCUO, Rift, and various other MMOs. I returned right before Beta to work on my HoM and catch up with guild-mates.

And as far as GW not working as a “true” MMORPG; please tell me how the skill system of GW wouldn’t work in GW2, or how the Mission system from GW wouldn’t work, or having actual Guild Battles? What a lot of us that played GW for so long wanted was GW in a OPEN WORLD and for the most part we got it. Most of the criticisms I see from former GW players are about the lack of skills, no GvG, the many bugs still present, and near non-existent profession balance.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Well, you DO realize that the number of skills in GW1 made profession balance pretty much impossible right? The two are almost mutually exclusive. That’s part of the problem. The rose-colored glasses here.

I dunno, but the GvG and HA that I remember was a series of overpowered cheese builds trying to scum their opponent into submission with poorly balanced skill combinations. 95% of the myriad skills were ignored at any given time, and any attempt to fix an overpowered skill wound up breaking 2 others.

Let’s be honest, balance in GW1 was an unmitigated mess, only made worse by the two profession system.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Well, you DO realize that the number of skills in GW1 made profession balance pretty much impossible right? The two are almost mutually exclusive. That’s part of the problem. The rose-colored glasses here.

I dunno, but the GvG and HA that I remember was a series of overpowered cheese builds trying to scum their opponent into submission with poorly balanced skill combinations. 95% of the myriad skills were ignored at any given time, and any attempt to fix an overpowered skill wound up breaking 2 others.

Let’s be honest, balance in GW1 was an unmitigated mess, only made worse by the two profession system.

I’d rather have an unbalanced mess with options than the stagnation that stems from too few options to how I play the game.

chemiclord.3978

I’d rather have an unbalanced mess with options than the stagnation that stems from too few options to how I play the game.

And that’s a perfectly fine opinion to have. I personally wasn’t much a fan of how the build system turned out, where that variety really only shined if you were willing to completely forgo playing with other people… otherwise you were limited to whatever flavor of the month build was out there.

And if you didn’t have one overpowered skill that could only be found on a random generated mini-boss in the Ring of Fire… you were kitten out of luck.

But claiming that GW1 had better skill variety AND better balance than GW2 is a little much. Not saying that GW2’s balance is flawless, mind… but that people seem to forget just how atrocious the balance in GW1 was.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

In my opinion, GW1’s “unmitigated balance mess” offered more challenging content, more build diversity, a healthier pvp scene, and a more satisfying sense of horizontal progression than GW2’s look-this-game-was-simplified-to-be-easier-to-balance-but-it’s-balance-is-still-bad build stagnation.

chemiclord.3978

In my opinion, GW1’s “unmitigated balance mess” offered more challenging content, more build diversity, a healthier pvp scene, and a more satisfying sense of horizontal progression than GW2’s look-this-game-was-simplified-to-be-easier-to-balance-but-it’s-balance-is-still-bad build stagnation.

And ya know… I just don’t see the build diversity in GW1 you and others do. I get the theory, but in actual gameplay, if you wanted to actually accomplish the “more challenging content”, you were pretty much required to pigeonhole yourself into one or two very specific builds.

Sure, for general “open” content with henchmen and heroes, you could pretty much run whatever… but that’s kinda true in GW2’s open world as well. You can run out freakin’ Nomad gear with a 0/0/6/6/2 build and any weapon in your collection and complete open-world content.

Don’t get me wrong, I get the numbers game of GW1’s skill variety and the sheer number of builds you could run if you so wanted to; but the practical application of that variety was… unimpressive, in my opinion.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I’m quite certain Anet is working on another game and are just releasing LS stuff they have made for GW2 a year ago by a small team at slow pace in order to drag the gap between this and the next game.

Look at WvW and the lack of GvG. If after 2 years it is apparently not worth any attention from Anet to work on competitive multiplayer and they do not invest to develop more maps…

Last reply they said was “it takes over a year to make a WvW map”, which is downright ridiculous considering the size of their company.

Posted by: Sharky.5024

Sharky.5024

I’m quite certain Anet is working on another game and are just releasing LS stuff they have made for GW2 a year ago by a small team at slow pace in order to drag the gap between this and the next game…

That’s it! So I would say, everything is fine with GW2, as long as the main team is working eagerly on something like Guild Wars 3…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Seems like now the discussion has changed to “What is Endgame?”. OK I’ll bite.

Depends on the person. For some Endgame is PvP, for others it’s Raids. In GW we had PvP(HA/RA/TA/GvG) and Skin grinding(farm for greens, do UW/FoW for mats to make Obsidian Armor). In GW2 we have the same thing, PvP(WvWvW/Arenas) and PvE(Dungeon farming for tokens for armor/weapons, World Boss farming).

The problem isn’t that there is no endgame in GW2 it’s that the Endgame was too easy. The hardest thing to do in GW was obtain Obsidian Armor. You had to farm both UW and FoW for mats to make it and once you had the mats you had to fight your way to the armorsmith in FoW. In GW2 we have Dungeon farming. Dungeons are now basically just “speed-runs” for tokens. People do speedruns and have what they want from that dungeon in hrs/days. This is why people say there is no endgame in GW2.

Except you could farm feathers, buy the mats from the trader or in Spamadan, and then pay for a run to get armor which is I think only the first two quests in FoW which aren’t that hard anyway. It took about 20 minutes to do the armor run, if I recalled correctly. It’s not like you had to finish FoW (which was long but wasn’t particularly hard. Underworld was much harder.

So you farm feathers pay for a run, and then where is your end game? A better example would have been DOA and a tormented weapon…which you could farm feathers for and buy in Spamadan as well.

Posted by: Invictus.5197

Invictus.5197

so they stop ls
spend 1 year on expac
u smash that out in 2 weeks 3 tops
then come back here and start qq all over again

its simple gw2 is a btp game no sub required that mean u can play something else wile your waiting for the new content to arrive

i personally have been playing gw2 for 1y 6 months
i enjoy the game very much but if they were to stop updating the game simply so they can make an expac that i will destroy in 1 month tops and have nothing for another year then no just no

3rd gen I5@3.8GHZ 660TI DC SOC
8gigs ddr3@1666mhz 1tb hd@7700rpm
win764bit home 750wht thermaltake psu

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

GW1 never added a new player race. Why should GW2 when it already has 5.

Posted by: Lady Celtaine.3760

Lady Celtaine.3760

Why should we not log in though :S we enjoy the game, it’s the reason we’re on the forums now posting our opinion. What you’re offering isn’t a solution but a pseudo feeling of receiving what we’re asking for

Ok log in, but don’t play LS

This is basically how it works in games that do expansions.No new content for months on end.
It’s what you’re asking for, so don’t play LS for 1 year. There’s your expansion.

LOL even if I just let the LS accumulate being that I go into it at already lvl 80 I could easily solo the story side alone within a week or two. Waiting a year for a few weeks of story is a waste of time. The person you are replying to would be better to just do the LS as they come out and then log out untill the next update. :P

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

It is unrealstic that GW2 will see an expansion that is comparable to the stand-alone Expansions GW1 had. At least I do not know any MMORPG developer who did this. Maybe somebody can name some examples.

So we should compare the GW1’s traditional expansion “Eye of the north” with an (fictive) expansion of GW2 or season 2 plus next feature pack..

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I would argue Canthans and Elonians were new races. They had their own leveling paths, their own capital cities, unique models, and exclusive Personal Story (or that game’s equivalent thereof) missions.

Vayne.8563

I would argue Canthans and Elonians were new races. They had their own leveling paths, their own capital cities, unique models, and exclusive Personal Story (or that game’s equivalent thereof) missions.

I’d agree with this. Other games have multiple human races as well.

Behellagh.1468

WvW replaced GvG. Sorry you didn’t see the memo.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Why should we not log in though :S we enjoy the game, it’s the reason we’re on the forums now posting our opinion. What you’re offering isn’t a solution but a pseudo feeling of receiving what we’re asking for

This is basically how it works in games that do expansions.No new content for months on end.
It’s what you’re asking for, so don’t play LS for 1 year. There’s your expansion.

LOL even if I just let the LS accumulate being that I go into it at already lvl 80 I could easily solo the story side alone within a week or two. Waiting a year for a few weeks of story is a waste of time. The person you are replying to would be better to just do the LS as they come out and then log out untill the next update. :P

except, that is exactly what would happen with an expansion.

You just think there’s more content because it comes in a box.

Posted by: Arclight.9437

Arclight.9437

I’ll bet all of my legendary mats that the players whining for new content are those that power level to 80 and skip most of the content in the game. Very few will have 100%, (most won’t even have 50), participated in every event in each zone, killed every champion, leveled any profs, probably bought their legendaries off the TP, and don’t do guild events…if they even belong to a guild. They probably haven’t even done much of their own personal story.

But yet they’re asking for more content, smdh.

If I was Anet, I’d ignore them too.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Yes with the new LS 2 things are better but with Anet’s big silence treatment with no expansion pack in sight and still unwilling to give us the time of day, I’m now down to dailies and monthlies and 1 day of LS per 2 weeks. At this rate even the added content will take a full 4 months to give us 1 map, proof look at Dry Top after 1 month of content it’s 25% the size of Brisband Wildland.

It takes 2 months for 1 map to be created and ready based on 5 years of production for 25 zones and 5 cities which is what GW 2 started with and don’t forget Anet had 170 employees when it started the game by the time they finished it they were about 330 and now 370.

The company is getting bigger yearly and still producing at a freak’in turtle pace. I started on day one of GW 1. Anet’s the company that gave me faith in MMO’s and also the one who’s making me loose faith in MMO’s.

So I guess It’s dailies until the 29th and then I’ll see you back in Dry Top for a full day of excitement in 12% of added zone content. Anet you’re becoming a big let down.

I suggest you should stop playing GW2 and play other games. Then come back and tell us.

For the last 17 years including GW2 with all the new exp TERA, WoW, Wildstar, Arch, etc. I just came back to GW2 for 2 weeks. GW2 is still has the more frequent updates on contents than any other MMOs.

You’re part of the 0.0001% who complaint.

It almost sounds like you have nothing else to do but waiting for Anet to feed you with updates every day.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

(edited by DJRiful.3749)

Posted by: Lady Celtaine.3760

Lady Celtaine.3760

Not strictly true starting a character from scratch and going through the personal story took a great deal more time, even if you only also factor leveling on the way ontop of the fact that personal story is very long from the start and didn’t need to build up over time like the LS/LW.

Living world may well be as long overall as the PS but when I go into living world and I’m already level 80, already have a build set up and can just plough through it solo unlike the getting stuck of the Personal story I did before, climbing levels, with incomplete builds that required you to team up with other people from time to time because not starting at level 80 with decent kit makes the process more difficult.

I don’t think there is more content just because it comes in a box, (gosh how insulting are you?) but what content there is certainly seems to last longer that way when you remember GW2’s predecessor.
In gw1 when we got the Cantha expansion we could start a new character in that expansion or if our Prophecies chars were high enough level transport them over. But if you started with a character from scratch again it did last longer because you had to level as you did it.
Some may call that a grind. But sadly the less grindy it is the shorter it lasts because the developers can’t meet our demand for new content fast enough. Ideally whether new content comes in the form of an expansion or the LS (I don’t actually care which as long as it comes) they may eventually get that balance between flow of story and making it last long enough to keep players satisfied. But that’s a matter of perspective.

(edited by Lady Celtaine.3760)

Wolfheart.7483

Not strictly true starting a character from scratch and going through the personal story took a great deal more time, even if you only also factor leveling on the way ontop of the fact that personal story is very long from the start and didn’t need to build up over time like the LS/LW.

Living world may well be as long overall as the PS but when I go into living world and I’m already level 80, already have a build set up and can just plough through it solo unlike the getting stuck of the Personal story I did before, climbing levels, with incomplete builds that required you to team up with other people from time to time because not starting at level 80 with decent kit makes the process more difficult.

I don’t think there is more content just because it comes in a box, (gosh how insulting are you?) but what content there is certainly seems to last longer that way when you remember GW2’s predecessor.
In gw1 when we got the Cantha expansion we could start a new character in that expansion or if our Prophecies chars were high enough level transport them over. But if you started with a character from scratch again it did last longer because you had to level as you did it.
Some may call that a grind. But sadly the less grindy it is the shorter it lasts because the developers can’t meet our demand for new content fast enough. Ideally whether new content comes in the form of an expansion or the LS (I don’t actually care which as long as it comes) they may eventually get that balance between flow of story and making it last long enough to keep players satisfied. But that’s a matter of perspective.

This may be semantics to some, but Factions and Nightfall were stand alone campaigns. Eye of the North was an expansion in the more traditional sense. So I think comparing EotN to the additional GW2 content is a bit more fair than comparing GW2s additional content to stand alone campaign releases.

Posted by: DrMcAwEsOmE.2839

DrMcAwEsOmE.2839

Invalid argument. Let me say first, though, I could not care any less about Season 1 being temporary. Yes, I missed it. But I do not care.

Anyway, “Welcome to TV before reruns, syndication, streaming, DVRs and box sets. Now we have a DVR. Maybe we’ll get a box set for season 1 someday.” is an asinine argument. This is 2014, not 1999.

Behellagh.1468

Invalid argument. Let me say first, though, I could not care any less about Season 1 being temporary. Yes, I missed it. But I do not care.

Anyway, “Welcome to TV before reruns, syndication, streaming, DVRs and box sets. Now we have a DVR. Maybe we’ll get a box set for season 1 someday.” is an asinine argument. This is 2014, not 1999.

Actually I was shooting for the mid 70s but people may not recognize the term VCR so I used DVR.

Living story is episodic content. It arrives for a while and then leaves. That is how they provided content for a dynamic world. It’s like going to college and when you come home for the summer you find out your favorite hang out closed/burn down/became a biker bar. You can’t recapture what it was before. It’s gone. That was my point. You may disagree that a LS episode is content because it has limited permanence but for those who did play it, it most certainly was content. And just like an old time movie serial it was short and we didn’t have to wait long for the next but if you missed it there was no going back. Again like TV before DVR/VCR, you missed your show, too bad.

With LS2 we now can access episodes we missed, like having a show recorded on a DVR (or VCR) while you were out looking for a new hangout. But it’s more like On Demand with a charge if you missed the chance to log in when it was the current episode.

It’s just one more way the devs made this MMO different than those that came before it. Other games had free content updates but the time gap was 2 to 9 months.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Being the least mediocre in a sea of mediocre game releases isn’t a revolution in gaming.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Being the least mediocre in a sea of mediocre game releases isn’t a revolution in gaming.

All the people in the games industry must just be wilfully blind and stupid right? I mean if you can see the solution right off it must be the right one.

Vayne.8563

Terrible analogy. It would work a lot better if for the last 8 years, the genre hasn’t been leading people around by the nose like sheep. You can’t go from what the genre has become to something totally revolutionary because no one would buy or play it. You have to change culture in baby steps.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

All the people in the games industry must just be wilfully blind and stupid right? I mean if you can see the solution right off it must be the right one.

No. Just a simple observation that myself, and quite possibly many others, are playing this because it is the best available, and not a rubber stamp on overall quality or inclusion of features. It is as much a statement of the inability of the genre, in general, to actually innovate post WoW, and being the “best” of a stagnated industry isn’t the huge deal it is made out to be.

No metric will show that I am playing this, in spite of being deeply disappointed.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Terrible analogy. It would work a lot better if for the last 8 years, the genre hasn’t been leading people around by the nose like sheep. You can’t go from what the genre has become to something totally revolutionary because no one would buy or play it. You have to change culture in baby steps.

Really. Given a context (land of the blind) and a slight advantage (one eye) elevates that slight advantage to a very substantial one.. in context.

Given a context (bland, carbon copy MMO releases) and a slight advantage (in my eyes, art and environment) elevates that slight advantage to a substantial one. In context.

or….

Given a context (8 years of sheep herding) and a slight advantage (a baby step) elevates that slight advantage to a substantial one.

/shrug. Slight advantage is slight. IMO from my POV.

The analogy reflects my point of view. My opinion. In that, from my POV, it is valid.

End of topic on my end. Infractions, ya know.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

I think this thread has a quantity over quality issue – players are focused on asking for more content (of any kind, it appears, as long as it’s there), instead of calling for content that is (at least somewhat) quality, i. e. the opposite of lackluster, repetitive, recycled, shallow, and focused on mass events and the associated zerging.

+1 to Teofa, that analogy is spot on.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

And ya know… I just don’t see the build diversity in GW1 you and others do. I get the theory, but in actual gameplay, if you wanted to actually accomplish the “more challenging content”, you were pretty much required to pigeonhole yourself into one or two very specific builds.

Sure, for general “open” content with henchmen and heroes, you could pretty much run whatever… but that’s kinda true in GW2’s open world as well. You can run out freakin’ Nomad gear with a 0/0/6/6/2 build and any weapon in your collection and complete open-world content.

Don’t get me wrong, I get the numbers game of GW1’s skill variety and the sheer number of builds you could run if you so wanted to; but the practical application of that variety was… unimpressive, in my opinion.

Chemilord has it spot on. People are looking at GW1 through rose-colored glasses. In Gw1, if you wanted to make it through Nightfall, (after EotM was introduced) everyone used the Ursan skill – it was so OP as to be ludicrous. When they nerfed it, every Mesmer had to carry PI. So, yes even though it had more skills, it has less usable skills.