Attitude problems at fail world bosses

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sequekhan.2091

Sequekhan.2091

I’ve been running in successful Tequatl maps for the last few months, I know the mechanics and don’t appreciate the ’we’re not asking you to do this, we’re telling you’ attitude I got from the recent attempt today.

My favourite class is Ele, and I’ve found I’m more suited to defensive teams / turrets as I’m typically never downed by anything there. And really, telling someone to rack off from defensive, or they’re not needed? Any other time people are begging for hills and boat teams.

People want to start crying and abusing other players, that’s fine. I just laugh and do Teq at daily reset. Don’t be surprised if you can’t get the numbers if yall gonna get abusive.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Click on name. Block.

Works wonders if someone is annoying you.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

What Fleshy said, but I’ll also add that you can report for Verbal Abuse too, and perhaps karma will bite them on the kitten’s tail.

People want to start crying and abusing other players, that’s fine.

Report them anyway, because it’s actually not fine.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Is this even worth a thread? Just ignore them, who the kitten cares. On the other hand, think this: while the single individual doesn’t matter. If all people who should attack just defend there is no attack team and the event will fail. I don’t want to take sides but want to give food for thoughts.

And for god’s sake: reporting on this is ridiculous. People report and moan and block everything who doesn’t suit their opinion or hurts their tender feelings. This society has literally no problem if you feel hurt by such ridiculous incidents. The only people I report are gold sellers – those kitteners.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Well, Ts organized maps tend to have teams assigned to defense and turrets, so any other people are not only not needed, they are even detrimental since they needlessly scale up the def events or make a canoneer stand idle by wondering whether that random will use the turret or abandon it halfway through. In addition to not dealing damage to Tequatl.
The easyest way to identify such a map is by counting commanders. Since defense is handled by designated groups they don’t use commanders there, which results in only 2 commanders for the whole map.

Now from your post I don’t know what kind of map you were on, but the chances of you really being unneeded for defense or turrets are not 0.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

Well, Ts organized maps tend to have teams assigned to defense and turrets, so any other people are not only not needed, they are even detrimental since they needlessly scale up the def events or make a canoneer stand idle by wondering whether that random will use the turret or abandon it halfway through. In addition to not dealing damage to Tequatl.
The easyest way to identify such a map is by counting commanders. Since defense is handled by designated groups they don’t use commanders there, which results in only 2 commanders for the whole map.

Now from your post I don’t know what kind of map you were on, but the chances of you really being unneeded for defense or turrets are not 0.

Pretty much this post. If you didn’t make it on a defense team, sorry but suck it up and go with the zerg and attack teq or get off the map and on to a different IP. Nobody needs extra people around the defense areas; if you do defense as much as you say, you know that more people equals harder enemies spawning.

It’s a group event, it’s not all about you and your needs. Go where you are needed to go. Learn how to survive not being on a defense team.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

It’s unlikely that a few people, even on the same map and even co-ordinated in their abuse are going to make a world event fail. For every person like that there are nearly a hundred ignoring them. I agree it would be nicer if everyone was just nice but some people get all antsy about failing.

Some of my favourite Teqs have been where one guy has decided it’s a fail map and people have turned against them and given them a really hard time for their attitude. And then we’ve easily won anyway because it’s not that hard.

If it’s not a commander or an actual organiser saying it, it doesn’t count. Backseat angrykid drivers should be added to your ignore list, they aren’t saying anything important.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Urdfexe.9147

Urdfexe.9147

If you didn’t make it on a defense team, sorry but suck it up and go with the zerg and attack teq or get off the map and on to a different IP.

How about no. You don’t have a say on other people’s play on open world maps.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Just ignore and move on. I generally take everything people say with a huge amount of salt during any world event.

If they don’t like how I am playing in a public environment then they can move maps if it’s annoying them that much.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

BunjiKugashira.9754

Just ignore and move on. I generally take everything people say with a huge amount of salt during any world event.

If they don’t like how I am playing in a public environment then they can move maps if it’s annoying them that much.

Try telling a map orga of 100+ people to move maps if you’re annoying them… Don’t know if that’s confident or conceited.

Shana Flamewielder
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Urdfexe.9147

Urdfexe.9147

Try telling a map orga of 100+ people to move maps if you’re annoying them… Don’t know if that’s confident or conceited.

A decent map orga will jump maps beforehand to get an empty map… which is not needed at Tequatl because that event is so easy it won’t fail even if 50% of players kitten about.
Which is also one of the reasons I have no sympathy for members of organized groups who get abusive towards other players there.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I’ve been running in successful Tequatl maps for the last few months, I know the mechanics and don’t appreciate the ’we’re not asking you to do this, we’re telling you’ attitude I got from the recent attempt today.

My favourite class is Ele, and I’ve found I’m more suited to defensive teams / turrets as I’m typically never downed by anything there. And really, telling someone to rack off from defensive, or they’re not needed? Any other time people are begging for hills and boat teams.

People want to start crying and abusing other players, that’s fine. I just laugh and do Teq at daily reset. Don’t be surprised if you can’t get the numbers if yall gonna get abusive.

Dungeons are way worse than world bosses. Parties are usually only for L80s experienced with that dungeon. I joined a party a couple of days ago trying to learn that dungeon and the party I was with all vanished to another part of the dungeon via waypoint then freaked when I wasn’t right with them. They were drawing all over the radar view and getting somewhat hostile. I just left. This is why I don’t go into things like dungeons, PvP and raids. World boss fights are nothing. Some of the people with tags do let it go to their heads sometimes but they are easier to ignore in open world areas.

I really wish GW1 style henchmen were an option for single players who want to go into those areas without a party. ANet tends to strongly shove people into the social aspect of the game not thinking that many people just like to explore. I think using your other characters as henchmen would be awesome in dungeons or raids. I like story areas that use NPCs as sort of henchmen.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

First as many have mentioned, verbal abuse is never apropriate. Report and/or block people who do this.

Second I do sense a certain attitude problem coming from your side.

If you are so versed in the exact mechanics of the Tequatle fight you’d know how the turrret events scale, meaning 1-2 people more than needed causes elite and eventually champion enemys to spawn. Which in turn requires more dedication than the standard 2 groups devoted to them. You intentionally sabotaging or negatively impacting the success of the world boss fight will draw hate from other players.

There is always 2 sides to each argument. If you are so fond of running the defensive teams/turrets, make this known early on and join one of the defensive squads. Those positions are usually the last to fill. Barging in at the last minute and demanding you get a spot on these events will get exactly the reaction you have been experiencing.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

First as many have mentioned, verbal abuse is never apropriate. Report and/or block people who do this.

Second I do sense a certain attitude problem coming from your side.

If you are so versed in the exact mechanics of the Tequatle fight you’d know how the turrret events scale, meaning 1-2 people more than needed causes elite and eventually champion enemys to spawn. Which in turn requires more dedication than the standard 2 groups devoted to them. You intentionally sabotaging or negatively impacting the success of the world boss fight will draw hate from other players.

There is always 2 sides to each argument. If you are so fond of running the defensive teams/turrets, make this known early on and join one of the defensive squads. Those positions are usually the last to fill. Barging in at the last minute and demanding you get a spot on these events will get exactly the reaction you have been experiencing.

Yup, all of this.

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

so wait, are we talking about the Tequatl where we usually just zone in, gather a bunch of people, chill, chew the fat a bit, then leisurly kill the dragon with 9-10 minutes to spare on the clock?
And people obsess over how big or small the turret defenses are? Wow, I’m certainly glad I don’t happen to come on to those maps…

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I tend to land in “south hills optional” maps for Teq, where for some reason that particular defense team is never formed. And it’s often not noticed until mobs are swarming over the turret operators.

Someone calls it out, folks break away to help cull the mobs, and the map succeeds. It never turns into a name-calling sideshow. That only happens when a certain guild notorious for trolling knocks or pulls abominations into the zerg.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

FrizzFreston.5290

I’m not advocating to tell a map full of people to move. Just that if people are annoyed by people not doing the exact thing you tell them to do in a public area of this game is easy to avoid if you really want to.

Not that anyone is going to do that anyway, but it’s equally ridiculous to judge the one person helping out in the way they want to help out. It’s their free time, their time spending time playing the game. No one has ownership over any map instance, the one random dude you either tolerate or you move yourself.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I never tell anyone that they can’t help out with a defense event — I just point out how many are already defending and how much harder things are if we scale up to champions

If the person insists on remaining, then I’ll leave (or ask someone in the defense to do so) — it’s not worth an argument. (And yes, I’ll make sure someone in the group pings me if the ‘extra’ vanishes later — just to make sure we have enough either way.)

The OP wasn’t specific about what else was going on, so it’s hard to tell if they were ‘extra’ or if others nearby misunderstood or … well, it could be a couple of dozen different things. Accordingly, I won’t speculate about what they OP should or shouldn’t have done, except to remind them that /block is really great.

tl;dr life’s too short to argue about stuff like this. Explain or move away; /block or ignore.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Eh, it probably depends on the people. I’ve had world boss fails that were actually kinda funny with people doing the “cry” emote and mock consoling each other and I’ve had that guy that rages at everyone but himself.

I will say personally I don’t pay attention to map chat too much, if someone addresses me and asks me to do something other than what I was planning to do, I’ll usually comply. That’s only if they ask me like a person and not some game piece to be moved around their personal board.

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

Is this even worth a thread? Just ignore them, who the kitten cares. On the other hand, think this: while the single individual doesn’t matter. If all people who should attack just defend there is no attack team and the event will fail. I don’t want to take sides but want to give food for thoughts.

And for god’s sake: reporting on this is ridiculous. People report and moan and block everything who doesn’t suit their opinion or hurts their tender feelings. This society has literally no problem if you feel hurt by such ridiculous incidents. The only people I report are gold sellers – those kitteners.

You, sir or madam, are dead wrong. Each person MATTERS! Your depraved, cold way of thinking shows you have no heart or love for anyone. Yes, society has drastically gone the way of the dogs and swine, but there are still those who cares.
OP – simply report and block, even if you have to block the entire map. Do it.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Not that anyone is going to do that anyway, but it’s equally ridiculous to judge the one person helping out in the way they want to help out. It’s their free time, their time spending time playing the game. No one has ownership over any map instance, the one random dude you either tolerate or you move yourself.

You seem to have an unusual definition of “Helping out” if you think scaling up events and making it harder for everyone else through excessive lootless champ spawns is “Helping Out”.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Have you considered that maybe the defenses and turrets ARE already filled? Extra people beyond a full party are, unfortunate for you, unnecessary at best, detrimental at worse.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

What bugs me is the guys who go to some events, and just stand there … doing next to nothing. If you don’t know … ask. Most will help.

Was doing AB yesterday to get the remaining commendations from east/west … when I did east, there was – no joke … a guy sitting in the corner by the bouncy mushroom (enemies don’t get into it). Didn’t move for all the event, sat there … waited till final burn then joined in. At least he was afk at east, which is generally a simpler route. That must have been one long bathroom break o.O

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

What bugs me is the guys who go to some events, and just stand there … doing next to nothing. If you don’t know … ask. Most will help.

Was doing AB yesterday to get the remaining commendations from east/west … when I did east, there was – no joke … a guy sitting in the corner by the bouncy mushroom (enemies don’t get into it). Didn’t move for all the event, sat there … waited till final burn then joined in. At least he was afk at east, which is generally a simpler route. That must have been one long bathroom break o.O

Probably leeching the event.

FrizzFreston.5290

You seem to have an unusual definition of “Helping out” if you think scaling up events and making it harder for everyone else through excessive lootless champ spawns is “Helping Out”.

Yay semantics. Helping out, playing what you like or whatever you want to call it.

If we’re going to count scaling then noone is helping out anyway. Everything just scale things up beyond 5 players.

BunjiKugashira.9754

Yay semantics. Helping out, playing what you like or whatever you want to call it.

If we’re going to count scaling then noone is helping out anyway. Everything just scale things up beyond 5 players.

And that’s why you do the ad-spawns in one group of 5 players each. Seems like you understood the concept.

Helping out means making the evens succeed quicker or more safely than if you weren’t participating. Now let’s say there was a dedicated group for each spawn:

• Would you killing the ads make the event succeed quicker? No, since the time determining factor, Tequatl’s health, is unaffected.
  • Would you killing the ads make the event succeed safer? No, since the group of 5 people can already handle it. You might even make things harder for the defending group by spawning a champion.

A well organized map can handle champion spawns by stalling the champion and sending another group over once they finish their spawn, but that’s time they could’ve spent attacking Tequatl. And yes, on a Tequatl speedkill even the defending groups use the time between ad-spawns to attack Tequatl.

Disclaimer: I’m not saying that this is what OP did. From his post alone it’s impossible to tell whether he was helping or unintentionally hampering the event.

Shana Flamewielder
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: NeoCodex.2438

NeoCodex.2438

The only time I cried on chat was when people weren’t able to do Shatterer CC cycles on a CC map, half of our squad being in dps spot instead of helping with CC, some people just don’t care and join any taxi CC or not (I told comm they should kick everyone not on the platforms, but not like that would have helped). So yeah, after that happened a few times I started to get a bit salty, too. At least that achievement is dealt with now. But it’s been a long time since I saw a failed teq and never a failed wurm and I agree people whining about the fail are a bit of a kittens and should get over with. But continously failing shatterer CC was frustrating indeed, that is completely another thing and I understand people becoming salty that want to do the achievement.

FrizzFreston.5290

And that’s why you do the ad-spawns in one group of 5 players each. Seems like you understood the concept.

Helping out means making the evens succeed quicker or more safely than if you weren’t participating. Now let’s say there was a dedicated group for each spawn:

• Would you killing the ads make the event succeed quicker? No, since the time determining factor, Tequatl’s health, is unaffected.
  • Would you killing the ads make the event succeed safer? No, since the group of 5 people can already handle it. You might even make things harder for the defending group by spawning a champion.

A well organized map can handle champion spawns by stalling the champion and sending another group over once they finish their spawn, but that’s time they could’ve spent attacking Tequatl. And yes, on a Tequatl speedkill even the defending groups use the time between ad-spawns to attack Tequatl.

Disclaimer: I’m not saying that this is what OP did. From his post alone it’s impossible to tell whether he was helping or unintentionally hampering the event.

You basically said it yourself. That slightly slower kill isn’t going to do that much harm. Everything put in perspective it doesn’t even matter squat what he was doing because it only is of use if you want structured gameplay which is only possible to some extend in open world content. Not to mention that for tequatl it really is only the first 25% where this might be a problem. Which even then it rarely is.

Scaling up happens everywhere anyway and is usually well with in the parameters for success. Only if you have a big group of players who really dont know how to play this 1 person more might fail it. And if that’s the case you have much bigger problems than just the one extra player doing what he likes doing in this specific event.

It’s nitpicking at details if anything. Flippant behaviour because someone doesn’t conform to the exact standard.
Now if there’s a whole zerg at each side, then you have something to really complain about.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

You basically said it yourself. That slightly slower kill isn’t going to do that much harm. Everything put in perspective it doesn’t even matter squat what he was doing because it only is of use if you want structured gameplay which is only possible to some extend in open world content. Not to mention that for tequatl it really is only the first 25% where this might be a problem. Which even then it rarely is.

Scaling up happens everywhere anyway and is usually well with in the parameters for success. Only if you have a big group of players who really dont know how to play this 1 person more might fail it. And if that’s the case you have much bigger problems than just the one extra player doing what he likes doing in this specific event.

It’s nitpicking at details if anything. Flippant behaviour because someone doesn’t conform to the exact standard.
Now if there’s a whole zerg at each side, then you have something to really complain about.

And this attitude is exactly why arenanet has to keep putting world bosses through kitten mode rebalance patches.

Does standing near a defensive turret encamptment when not needed make the event fail? No. There is enough people there who cover the slack and missplacement of players and the event is easy enough.

Does this give the right to other players to verbaly abuse someone? No. As mentioned this is never acceptable.

Does this give other payers the right to be upset? Absolutely. Not everyone likes working on the mouthbreather level.

Does this justify someone complaining about getting verbaly abused? Yes, but when others are overreacting be at least honest enough to realise that you were not without fault. Merely their reaction was out of line.

Will this change? No. By now everyone knows how organised and skilled the majority of the GW2 playerbase is. Play and expect accordingly.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

It doesn’t matter if they’re asking nicely or simply and bluntly telling you (Unless they start swearing outright). If you’re truly aware of the mechanics of defense, then you know that the teams are supposed to be restricted to no more than 5 at the four locations, organized before the event starts, and that any more scales the defense events up and risks overrunning the turrets.

And this time clearly wasn’t one. If the defense teams are full, you aren’t needed. And if you’re the one who couldn’t be bothered to show up and join the defense team party prior to event start, you’re the one that needs to get off the point and into the water with the rest of the zerg. Tequatl isn’t the Shadow Behemoth.

Only if they’re not scaling up the main event, which scales somewhat linearly at a rate less than the average player’s contribution to the fight. With the adds on the defenses, though, the scaling rate’s a bit more awkward.

If you want to “Play how you want”, stay away from the specialized teams on the Hardcore bosses. Those, while open-world, are explicitly designed to require players to coordinate and organize – and part of that coordination and organization is going where you’re needed, not where you want, and doing things on the event’s time, not your own. Whether this is organizing defense groups for Teq.

Sure, on a largely-succeeding Teq map, there’s a lot more room for error or slacking. But on a ‘fail’ map as the OP indicated in the title, everyone needs to step up their game to turn it around. There are three reasons Teq fails:
1. The turrets fail. Either because they’re unmanned (Solved by jumping in one), incompetently operated (rare), or overrun (Because the defense teams failed)
2. There are not enough zerglings in the water. GIven how the event scales, this means there are too many people on the defenses.
3. The defense teams fail and the turrets are overrun. Either because they are undermanned (Explicitly not the case in the OP’s situation), or because there’s someone off-position and scaling them up.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

It doesn’t take 5 people to spawn a champion. There are 60+ people at a Tequatl event that affect scaling. This is why you see them spawn despite so few around sometimes. Figure how long it takes to break a defiance bar. In a dungeon, THAT is scaled to 5 people and it breaks fast. Champions at Tequatl take wayyyy longer because the system thinks every person there is hitting it.

That being said, the only reason to keep defense teams limited in number is to not take away from the DPS to Tequatl itself, but I’ve stacked one defense heavily with 20 people and had no issues anyway

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Nol Fran Shee.1285

Nol Fran Shee.1285

I agree with you. In game I’ve seldom been on the receiving end of abuse, but I’ve seen it.
Mostly I just block the immature. I do report the really mean ones.

I read about half-way down the comment thread and saw the same kinds of immature rants that I sometimes see in map chat. They sort of make your point for you.

Arise my pretty minion!

Posted by: blackheartgary.8605

blackheartgary.8605

I think the problems here all center around one word: communication. Ever hear the phrase “you can catch more bees with honey than you can with vinegar”? Now before the typical responses of “we shouldn’t have to because ____” arise, think about this. When guilds that typically do Triple trouble begin to set up their teams, they often ask if anyone wishes to a: join the map, b: join the squads, c: learn condi/block/reflect and join that aspect, and c: please stack on the campfire for a headcount. now, no one argues about this because they want the boss kill. the commanders or hosts ask, and people answer yay or nay. the majority, at that point, asks questions pertaining to the teams, if teams are set up, and when will it begin. At the moment the commanders split, people will generally go to their desired wurms, no harm no foul. and during the setup, the commanders will nicely give explanations of how each wurm is to go down. at that point, most commanders will even go as far as ask if there are any questions. hell, I’ve seen even the silliest of questions answered as best as possible. and win or lose, people have a generally good time.
now…
when the wurm fails… an interesting thing happens. people don’t complain. why? because it takesw a lot of coordination and everyone doing their part on the wurm to take it down and even with all that in place, sometimes it goes haywire. what you don’t see? is a lot of complaining or qq or anything like that because everyone playing knows how hard it is to kill that boss.
taking that into consideration, let’s look at teq.
Tequatil requires coordination as well. it requires solid defense teams as well as the pew pew crowd to take the beast down. and that’s just the setup. if the battery defense goes south, the event has an even greater chance at failure. if turret operators don’t descale or cleanse, the beast will make everyone have a bad day. and most who command know this.
but here’s where it gets wonky. if tag is doing the same work as the rest of the people there, there shouldn’t be any ill concieved notions that people aren’t doing their assigned roles. and when someone uses one or two-word commands, like stack, descale, etc, it’s not demanding you to do it… if you put yourself in that position, that’s what you are required to do for a successful kill. Can the tags get mean? yes. and that sucks, because if they are tagging they are automatically giving themselves a bullseye on their heads for people to rage towards. can the other players get upset? yes… because sadly these days it’s all about the win and the ap, not about the battle itself.
and i get it… all that effort to win goes down the tubes if the event fails. and that is frustrating. but Guess what, the events repeat themselves, giving us a chance to try again. and it gets frustrating to constantly see people hollering in map or in say or even in squad to do this or that. generally it’s because they see kitten and are trying to fill it quickly while doing their part. does this mean being rude and elitist is required? no. but it happens. and you can respond to it in two ways. first, you can ignore it and focus on what you are doing, and accept the defeat as a learning experience, or you can fire back, causing more drama and either making yourself look like a horses’ patoot or cause unwanted attention to yourself from the trolls of the game.
Honestly, I think the old addage in the game in general is the same at the bosses. Don’t be a _______ (expletive intentionally left blank), and that includes the guys and gals leading the charge as well as those following.
and worse comes to worse? if it continues and keeps annoying you? pick another map and another timeslot. or… start a taxi of your own and try to take the bosses down your way. that’s the beauty of this community.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Did it occur to you that that specific defense team was full and any extra people are not helping but actually hurting the event because they scale the mobs up and make them harder to kill, thus endangering the event?

No, I don’t think it did. Because you play how you want and kitten the other people trying to get organised and not fail an event, you gotta have your way and nobody can say anything, amirite?

People these days, smh…