August 20th - The Queen's Speech

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Riptide.3012

Riptide.3012

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

The end of culling!!! Doyou know what that means? It means the return of One-Time Events!!!! Expect one next patch or even the patch after. I don’t know what the queen’s speech will contain, but I suspect that party will be crashed by the aetherblades in a massive one time event.

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

With the exception of the culling update it’s absolutely NOTHING.
And what a joke for the birthday presents, oh wow.

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

No features… i hoped for the new skills And or more weapons pr class

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

SkylightMoon.1980

Why so many negative comments?? They only add big new features once a month, and they already did that in the beginning of august. Plus, why would they spoil the queens speech surprise?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

The end of Culling?
Whoo hoo!! that is awesome

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

Didnt play GW1 so not sure if the anniversary present is on par with those.
Mini will just go in bank never to be seen again, exp scroll i dont need as im lvl 80, booster maybe ok depending on what it boosts.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Also, LOL at that bday presents, everyone gets same crap, there’s no variation of minis but all get same things and it can’t even be sold cuz its acc bound as always /yawn can’t wait for a scroll after 1y of playing!

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Mini will just go in bank never to be seen again, exp scroll i dont need as im lvl 80, booster maybe ok depending on what it boosts.

They are on par with GW1 We just got minis or tunics in GW1. This is actually better as we get a booster and a Scroll of Experience.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

SkylightMoon.1980

“Ten Days of Black Lion Sales: Each day for 10 consecutive days – starting Friday, Aug. 23, at 12:01 a.m. (PT) – players will be able to purchase items and weapon skins that had limited sales during the game’s first year from the Black Lion Trading Company.”

This wasnt included for some reason. But look forward to this..

Posted by: Aluano.1826

Aluano.1826

Would of been nice if the birthday present worked like it did in GW1, but can’t complain about free stuff I guess..

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

They are on par with GW1 We just got minis or tunics in GW1. This is actually better as we get a booster and a Scroll of Experience.

You must be joking… In gw1 you had multiple minis, always at least 2 per year going way over 100k AND they were all sellable. Here you will be stuck with an acc bound mini (yet another one… as if we don’t have enough of these), a scroll LOL and a booster~~~~a booooooster haha

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

It’s probably a good thing that there won’t be random fortunes dropped on the lucky few, but I do hope the mini can still be sold or forged. I’m not being snarky about receiving a mini-Jennah, I’m just thinking about all the clones from my alts.

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

As far as I’m concerned, getting rid of PvE culling is the best birthday present they could ever give. No longer will I go into what I thought was a fight against one enemy, only to have 10 pop up as soon as I hit the one I can see! The mini was to be expected, and that scroll of experience will work wonders on speeding up the levels on on of the three remaining classes I haven’t maxed yet.

@SkylightMoon There’s so many negative comments because the more vocal audience of forums are people that never have anything nice to say. Some just don’t have patience to wait for something, others don’t know how long it can take to add things to a complex system of mind-numbing lines of code, and others just like to complain.

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Wait… a scroll of experience for all characters?

When all my characters are lvl80 already?

facepalm

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Would of been nice if the birthday present worked like it did in GW1, but can’t complain about free stuff I guess..

Hm?
In what way does it not work like it did in GW1?

I suppose you mean the fact that you could either get lucky and get a 100 ecto mini or be unlucky and get a 1 p one? Because that is more or less the only difference.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

No features… i hoped for the new skills And or more weapons pr class

Would be nice to get some new play styles in. After all ArenaNet is always preaching: “play how you want to play.”

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

KorbanDallas.7389

You must be joking… In gw1 you had multiple minis, always at least 2 per year going way over 100k AND they were all sellable. Here you will be stuck with an acc bound mini (yet another one… as if we don’t have enough of these), a scroll LOL and a booster~~~~a booooooster haha

Although I somewhat agree on the booster because I have never cared for a finite “better chance” at things, I think you may be focusing too much on the worth too you specifically. Yes, the original birthday presents from guild wars had a random chance at 1 of 14 different minis, but outside of that (or buying them from a player who got a different one), that was the only way to get them. In GW2 right now, we have 55 that you can get, and that’s not including the special ones such as the Helmed Moa or Chainsaw the Skeleton, all that you can get from a random box (just like a birthday present that can happen whenever you feel like it) and still sell if you want. The fact that the Queen mini is account bound should be irrelevant because everyone will get one when they hit 1-year.

As for the experience scroll, although it might not be any use for you, you may play a lot more than other people, or might not have as many alts as other people. Again, I’m sure it stinks that they aren’t catering to only you for the birthday present, but that doesn’t mean its laughably obtuse for them to give out – the scroll will most likely be account bound just like many of the other scrolls of the type, making it an awesome reward for someone who doesn’t get the chance to play all the time or (like myself) has too many alts they are working on.

Course, to paraphrase the Dude, “That’s like, my opinion man”

}——————————-{

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Looks like I am going to go from 20 frames in PvE to 5 thanks to this new feature.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Actually I was a bit put off by the birthday gift myself, but the truth is, the RNG in Guild Wars 1 birthday gives meant most people got worthless white minis anyway. However, it’s not a big enough difference for your reaction. You’re laughing because you don’t like the game, even though you say you do. You claim you post because you want the game to be better. How is any post in this thread making the game better?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I just hope the speech is instanced and not like the Quaggan magic show. I hate wasting time standing around.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Vayne.8563

How 2 per year? I only remember 1 per year..on your birthday. Are you including the ones you get for lunar fortunes on the Canthan New Year…because those weren’t guaranteed those were RNG.

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

Looks like I am going to go from 20 frames in PvE to 5 thanks to this new feature.

Stop playing this game on a toaster maybe ?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

My laptop wishes it was a toaster.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

GW2 gamers seem to be the most entitled of all.

We get new content and QOL patches every 2 weeks. Yet it seems you guys want a free expansion.

There is more content in the patch than meets the eye. It’s meant to be a surprise

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1k9wjp/the_queens_speech/

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

Treb Masteries YAY! -_- no where WERE OUR WvW UPDATES THAT WERE PROMISED! silly PvE gets all the updates

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I sure hope like WvW I can have the option to turn on the Culling to stop this 20 FPS in some areas.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

I think her surprise will be huge… They wont spoil it, but probably a new zone or something. It says its huge

KorbanDallas.7389

How 2 per year? I only remember 1 per year..on your birthday. Are you including the ones you get for lunar fortunes on the Canthan New Year…because those weren’t guaranteed those were RNG.

He’s referring to the pool the random draw was from buddy, not the actual number your received per present

}——————————-{

Vol.5241

I think her surprise will be huge… They wont spoil it, but probably a new zone or something. It says its huge

AFAIK Colin already said we won’t be getting any new dragons/zones in 2013.

And another dev also reiterated to look to the skies.

So it’s pretty obvious that Divinity’s Reach is going to be invaded by Aetherblades and some real nasty kitten is gonna go down.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

So it’s pretty obvious that Divinity’s Reach is going to be invaded by Aetherblades and some real nasty kitten is gonna go down.

He never said no new zones. He said it was HIGHLY POSSIBLE that crystal desert would come so.. But yea, he said no new BIG dragons. But what about the small ones

But in all seriousness… 2 things i believe.

1. Shes pregnant with logan
2. She will marry logan…

ALL HAIL KING LOGAN!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Wait… a scroll of experience for all characters?

When all my characters are lvl80 already?

facepalm

That will encourage you to create more alts you will be prevented by timegating from equipping fully.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

This is the first time I’ve found myself on Nuka Cola’s side. The Bday presents are abysmal. It makes me want to go through my thesaurus and list every synonym for bad, uncreative, and disappointing.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Won’t it be a permanent peace treaty between humans/charr?

The present treaty is just a truce…

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

My laptop wishes it was a toaster.

Stop playing this game on a laptop, lol.

SkylightMoon.1980

He never said no new zones. He said it was HIGHLY POSSIBLE that crystal desert would come so.. But yea, he said no new BIG dragons. But what about the small ones

2. She will marry logan…

ALL HAIL KING LOGAN!

HE DID SAY NO NEW ZONES!!! He said that like 3 times.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Not one to look a gift-horse in the mouth, I appreciate the mini and experience scrolls. I think I might still have a character under 20…

But someone at Anet sort of missed the mark on why birthday presents were functionally awesome. Every year was a set, obviously the older the character was, the more unique it’s set was.

Collecting, hunting and selling minis was a big deal for people because, while it was easy to find first year minis, getting an entire set of 4th and 5th years were more difficult. You could run around with it and people would recognize that the character was five years old, or had been around since launch. Or maybe they bought it, because we always had the option to sell them if we needed to gold, or trade them around like baseball cards.

The Jenna mini is neat, but everyone will have the same one (some of us will have eight of them O.o), we probably wont be able to trade it but even if we can it wont have any value because its so common, and dollars to donuts it wont count towards the achievement.

Im glad they are still doing character birthdays. But this is another feature (and what GW1 players would consider tradition) that they really had right the first time around and took an inexplicable step backwards on.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Vayne.8563

I’d have preferrred a random gem shop mini tbh.

Posted by: Rocklynn.5269

Rocklynn.5269

I have faith in Arenanet. I think the queens surprise is gona be something big!
Can´t wait for the patch oh yeah!

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

End of PvE culling is huge…ty for that.

WvW xp thing is baffling. Why are the wxp not account bound?

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Emmet.2943

Emmet.2943

2. She will marry logan…

ALL HAIL KING LOGAN!

Actually in a reddit post colin confirmed that no new regions were coming this year.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1k104u/guild_wars_2_teases_anniversary_plans/

Posted by: Jason.5469

Jason.5469

The surprise will be HUGE.

Vol.5241

Kiel turns out to be a baddy

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

She’ll fund research into the Abaddon fractal so the Evon voters will stop complaining?

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Actually in a reddit post colin confirmed that no new regions were coming this year.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1k104u/guild_wars_2_teases_anniversary_plans/

A tiny bit depressing (but understandable), as I was hoping we’d get access to the desert. But at least now that I know that, I can start to look forward to whatever they have planed.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

In a word, disappointing.

Every second Monday I’m hopeful that the Group Finder will be announced, and each time I’ve been disappointed. We’ve had a year now with no decent way of forming a group in game, and it’s been almost a month since they said the one they’re working on is shaping up great, plus they’ve even tested it.

That aside, I still don’t see how this patch will show how the standing plot threads are being tied together. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see, though I was expecting something a lot bigger and more epic than “Jennah has a big surprise to share”…

(edited by Azjenco.9425)

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Maybe we will finally have exterminated the last of the Risen, so the land can be populated by day-glo talking ponies or something.

Posted by: Gery.2718

Gery.2718

Sigh, another mini… at least it’s for free now. I hate how almost every meta achievement rewarded a mini so far. What about those who don’t care about them? Seriously, at least make them sellable. -.-

PvE culling fix sounds nice, but I wonder how my computer will handle big fights.
The queens speech… I have my expectations very low so at least I won’t be disappointed. I hope it will be a pleasant surprise though, with an actual story (no matter how big/small it is), and not just another festival/minigame/jumping puzzle. I’m sick of them.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Poor ignorant forum goers… just wait and see, this update is the first of the more permanent world changing updates. They just aren’t spoiling it yet.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’m going to guess what’s going to happen, and I’m going to bet I wind up being fairly accurate in my predictions.

Content Predictions
– In an instance, the queen will give begin her speech.
– The Aetherblade will arrive in their airships to disrupt the ceremony.
– Logan will jump to his queen’s aid, but will be overwhelmed.
– Rytlock, in attendance with the rest of the charr delegation, will come to his aid.
– They’ll fight off the pirates for a while, then we’ll jump in.
– We’ll save the day, but the queen will be kidnapped.
– We’ll have to find clues to determine the location of the kidnappers’ hideout while Logan “regretfully stays behind to see to the city’s defenses.”
– Upon finding the hideout we’ll have a short Canach-type instance wherein we (the player and Logan) save the queen.
– We’ll stand around while Logan and the queen embrace before she tanks us for helping Logan save her.

Achievement Predictions
– Attend the queen’s speech.
– Defeat 1/10/25/50 Aetherblade Sky Pirates in Kryta.
– Defeat 1/10/25/50 Aetherblade Sky Pirates in Maguuma Jungle.
– Defeat 1/10/25/50 Aetherblade Sky Pirates in Shiverpeak Mountains.
– Defeat 1/10/25/50 Aetherblade Sky Pirates in Ascalon.
– Examine 10/25/50/100 clues to determine the Aetherblade’s new hideout.
– Rescue the queen.