Auto Loot Dosen't work on death...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

If the solution is to simply not die (in order to get your loot) then this promotes extremely defensive play and also favors those in nomads gear or players who stack vitality or toughness, as their ability to tag enemies is the same as offensive builds, and yet their survivability is much higher then offensive builds. I figured making it automatically go into your inventory would make build survivability a moot point and avoid the disappointment I outlined above.

This isn’t some pve farming run where the goal is to tag everything, please stop treating it as such. Groups win or lose battles based off of a balance of offense and defense, if these allies that keep winning your battles for you had no offense you’d have no bags whatsoever to loot and we likely wouldn’t be here…so be glad all defense is NOT the meta.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

You might get more traction if you posted about stuff that was sensible/worthwhile but you mainly post to argue about something that is trivial at best…and make our eyes bleed cos you never let it rest.

Truth.

Also from all of his examples the OP just sounds like he dies at the start of every battle that his team wins…who really dies that much in winning situations?

The person that gets focused first by the entire zerg, typically the mesmer or the necro, any low level or the afk guy.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

Well, Justine, I have to mention I’m not really in a position to draw any sort of line in the sand, because I’m not a developer and I wouldn’t be making decisions on this sort of thing. But as a player I kept scratching my head at this thread until I decided to give a personal opinion on the matter.

From days of long ago — well, in a gaming sense, anyway — I came to expect a death penalty. I came to respect it. I treked across Dereth to retrieve my best item, when the #^$%^@)$ Lugians took it off my corpse and tossed it aside. I braved Diablo in the catacombs below Tristram to get back all the stuff that spilled out around me when that beastie bested me. To have essentially nothing bad happen — to get all the goods around me whether I live or die — just doesn’t make sense to me.

Maybe I RP it in my head. Kill monsters + live to tell about it = get rewards afterwards. Maybe I don’t see it as aggregate acquisitions while I’m fighting, but an end-combat reward, picking over the battleground after my victory? I don’t know, but it makes sense to me that I would potentially get less when I fail!

The thing is, sometimes the strategic or best team gameplay is to lay dead where you are: for example, in certain WvW situations or in PvE in a fight with the Legendary Bandit Executioner. So that means that the selfish, less active choice is to WP and stop giving yourself a chance to contribute in the most useful way by being resurrected in place. Penalizing players for lying on the ground when that might be the best thing for the group is not a good design choice.

And I mean, seriously—if you run away from a big zerg fight but still get loot while you’re turning tail and going AWOL, how is that fair or better than giving your all for your team and then dying, but losing access to five or six loot bags that might drop a few seconds after your death?

Death does not always equal failure, and living does not always equal success.

As long as these kinds of situations are in the game, then people should be able to get the loot they earned via delivering sufficient damage to the enemy, whether they themselves are alive or dead.

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

The answer is technically yes as long as you way point instantly. They changed the mechanics of loot with auto loot which didn’t exist before hot, why not update this side of it as well and have it affect all game modes? Since you do get loot “when you die” as long as you way point up instantly any mobs that you tagged when you were alive, that your allies then killed that drop loot; all of that loot goes directly into your inventory from across the map as long as you raise up instantly.

technically you even get loot when “you die” if others kill mobs you tagged and you don’t raise up the loot just lands at your feet and you can run back and get it, so yes “you do get loot when you die” in both pve and wvw as long as you have allies.

all of this is gimicky and a chore – run back and get your bags/quick raise up quick to get your loot, why not simplify it?

to address your point the only time you “dont get loot” for dying is if you tag nothing and then die, or if you tag enemies then die and your allies fail to kill what you tagged.

So…. as long as you waypoint when you die, and don’t lay there dead, you get your loot? Which is exactly the same as it is in WvW. At this point, you’re really coming off as complaining just for the sake of complaining. You don’t get loot for laying dead on the ground. Not in PvE nor in WvW. Suck it up and respawn.

Or they could streamline the mechanic? which is the point of my post entirely…

I think the real issue is the amount of negative attention I’m getting for suggesting something so simple and trivial.

I am glad though that people are finally starting to give me acknowledgement and are agreeing with my logical arguments, that’s progress at least we’re now on the same page.

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

so then the moral is to just take a bunch of defensive stats, and tag things and then escape. 100% don’t play risky and definitely always have tons of vit + tough. Ok got it. Also whether or not its feasible for them to change it is a different subject.

1. Good idea, to get to know your class better, put some more defensive stats in so you know how stuff goes.

2. Why are you in WvW? For fights? Or for the loot only?
A: If youre here for the fights you wouldnt care but would understand the declined loot for dead people (isnt really declined, just get ressed or WP fast).
B: If youre here for the loot, and the loot only, you should consider going PvE.

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

Overall its basic failure. Yes you can “use” the view from your corpse etc. But this “use” is the reward. Not the loot in this case. You can get a rewarded item for every single thing. Yes you even get rewarded for logging in.
Maybe we should get rewards every 1min we’re alive in combat.
Maybe we should get passive rewards when around a CMD.
etc etc.

The actual reward of staying alive is playing the game and killing more. Your death is already rewarded. Not for you, no. For the enemy. You now have to get your butt up and WP. Penalty. Even minigolf has it. Saw no one complain there yet.

HazyDaisy.4107

So, I yoloed tonight. Fighting (2) 3rd server players, 2nd server OJs inside our keep, ran right into the OJs, the two I was fighting followed for some odd reason and as I lay there dead for a few seconds, I got #2 and #3 of daily invasion defender from 2nd server killing 3rd server people that I got hits on…which is kind of a paradox if you think about it.

Not that I agree with loot being auto deposited after death, but we are getting other rewards that defy the death rule, so anyway, just putting that out there.

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Probably would’ve got that loot if you were in position, if you were doing your job, if you were geared in offensive stats other than nomads so that you can actually have a chance to defeat your enemies.

I think the current system is fine. You die you don’t get your loot or, waypoint and potentially get your loot via allies having killed what you tagged.

It’s not like everyone and their mum’s brown dog is suddenly going to whack on full PVT or nomads in zergs just for a few loot bags.

Think about it – you die. Who what when where why how even is able to loot for you when you’re dead? Certainly not you. You’re dead. Wouldn’t make sense otherwise.

If you’re in WvW for loot you’re in the wrong place my friend – PvE is that way.

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Probably would’ve got that loot if you were in position, if you were doing your job, if you were geared in offensive stats other than nomads so that you can actually have a chance to defeat your enemies.

I think the current system is fine. You die you don’t get your loot or, waypoint and potentially get your loot via allies having killed what you tagged.

It’s not like everyone and their mum’s brown dog is suddenly going to whack on full PVT or nomads in zergs just for a few loot bags.

Think about it – you die. Who what when where why how even is able to loot for you when you’re dead? Certainly not you. You’re dead. Wouldn’t make sense otherwise.

If you’re in WvW for loot you’re in the wrong place my friend – PvE is that way.

Am I missing something? Why is everyone so confused about the topic of my post? I’m not debating the merits of death and getting no loot. The fact is you get loot when you die and all I’m suggesting is that it goes into your inventory instead of on the ground…

Please everyone read the posts above for clarification

aka. “The Complainer”

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

Am I missing something? Why is everyone so confused about the topic of my post? I’m not debating the merits of death and getting no loot. The fact is you get loot when you die and all I’m suggesting is that it goes into your inventory instead of on the ground…

No, you don’t get loot when you die. Bags pop up. There’s a difference. If you waypoint and run back, you can collect those bags. If you lay there like a lump, you lose out on those bags. If you respawn and run back, you can collect your bags and resume assisting with the situation. If you lay there like a lump, you are being the literal definition of dead weight, and don’t deserve any rewards for that. Because guess what? Even though you may have tagged those players while you were alive, you didn’t kill them. While you were laying there dead, your servermates are the ones who killed them. What you’re asking for isn’t “streamlining the system”. What you’re asking for is to be rewarded for parasitic behavior. No. Just…. no. You didn’t earn those bags when you were laying there dead. You’re not entitled to them just because you tagged some players. You don’t deserve to automatically get them. Waypoint and run back, and help with the situation. Then pick up your 3 spikes and the 1-2 blue/green junk that dropped.

If you’re playing an ele, run celestial gear. If you’re playing a necro or mesmer, run dire gear with runes of the undead. You shouldn’t be a glass cannon in WvW. Ever. Glass cannons are free kills. Start with defense, then add more offense in as you get comfortable. Build around your personal skill level, don’t blindly adhere to whatever’s posted on metabattle. Practice your positioning, and you’ll die a whole lot less. However, when you do die, don’t lay there like a lump. Respawn and run back. No. Don’t run back to the forums. Run back to the fight in the game.

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

Split hairs as much as you want Lumpix but there doesn’t need to be any change made to what we have currently.

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

so then the moral is to just take a bunch of defensive stats, and tag things and then escape. 100% don’t play risky and definitely always have tons of vit + tough. Ok got it. Also whether or not its feasible for them to change it is a different subject.

The issue is minor and it is annoying whether they change it matters little to me, my points do make sense however, and are valid, as I addressed every variable or argument that was brought up.

whats interesting is that it actually requires more lines of code to make it so that drops appear on the ground when you are dead rather then it always just going into your inventory, since this is a deliberately coded mechanic. It’s short sided however, given the update to auto loot in wvw, which gives you the loot from tagged enemies even if they are on the other side of the map as long as you raise up instantly.

In addition, the examples I gave were filled with thoughtful logic all of which are sound, all of which nobody has addressed other then by saying, “we disagree with you” or “get good.”

This issue affects everyone, unless you either 1 never zerg vs zerg or as I outlined above bring tons of tanky stats and play super defensively with lots of stealth + escapes. (thus penalizing in essence those who don’t play that way). Seems like a strong case to never run anything more offensive then celestial so that we can all “get good” since vit + tough is supplemental to actual skill.

Do you get loot or any reward if you die in pve?

This is why I think you’re being insincere and just arguing for attention now.

The answer is technically yes as long as you way point instantly. They changed the mechanics of loot with auto loot which didn’t exist before hot, why not update this side of it as well and have it affect all game modes? Since you do get loot “when you die” as long as you way point up instantly any mobs that you tagged when you were alive, that your allies then killed that drop loot; all of that loot goes directly into your inventory from across the map as long as you raise up instantly.

technically you even get loot when “you die” if others kill mobs you tagged and you don’t raise up the loot just lands at your feet and you can run back and get it, so yes “you do get loot when you die” in both pve and wvw as long as you have allies.

all of this is gimicky and a chore – run back and get your bags/quick raise up quick to get your loot, why not simplify it?

to address your point the only time you “dont get loot” for dying is if you tag nothing and then die, or if you tag enemies then die and your allies fail to kill what you tagged.

People have “cheat codes” for games that they like to play here and there that makes things more simple for them. Man if you want simple then a more simple game might be in order. Seriously I’m not being nasty here. This is all part of the challenge and it is what it is. It makes sense to me… die, don’t get the loot beside your dead body… and in my WvW game in battles, that happens a lot.

Also, it’s not like there’s some sort of gold mine in that loot… most of it is garbage anyway… not losing much by not getting those things now and then.. imo..

… just call me … Tim :)

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

" Since you do get loot “when you die” as long as you way point up instantly any mobs that you tagged when you were alive, that your allies then killed that drop loot; all of that loot goes directly into your inventory from across the map as long as you raise up instantly."

Looks like OP gets it yet goes on with the yabba yabba.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Balthazzarr.1349

…. and for some clarification for the OP …

What I’m reading here a lot is what I feel as well… and that is… If you die BEFORE the enemy you tagged then he “won” that fight and you don’t get rewarded. Just because someone else killed him doesn’t mean that you get the reward. The loot bag does drop and if you want it you can wp immediately and if it doesn’t pop into your inv then run back right away and get it if you can.

No rewards for what drops AFTER dying…

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Doesn’t matter Anet doesn’t update anything in wvw anyways good suggestions or otherwise so who cares. Not to mention I have no idea why wvwers would object to an update to auto loot that would result in getting more loot. Especially when all wvwers complained about for years was no loot/rewards…. but whatever lol.

This is one of those suggestions, where if Anet just changed it so you got loot no matter what every wvw would say, “we like this” or “good job Anet more loot” but because I’m suggesting it, it’s an absolutely horrible idea, for some reason which nobody can figure out.

I mean at best it’s more loot, at worst it’s irrelevant, but you know keep up the good fight.

People object because it encourages people to lay dead on the ground instead of releasing and running back to the fight.

right….. so loot auto going into your inventory = you are encouraged to stay dead? Im not seeing the connection. Seems completely unrelated to me.

I can’t recall ever playing a game where, when you died (essentially when you failed in some way), you still automatically were given every bit of the loot you would have acquired if you stayed alive, contributed to the fight, got ressed by a comrade, or used other mechanics (like WP) to rejoin the battle. Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but shouldn’t death have a death penalty of some sort? It’s modest enough, with the mechanics in place, but should it be zero?

Yes, I do believe that such functionality would discourage active play. “I’m dead. I’ll just lie here and gather all my goodies while I go order a pizza. Doesn’t cost me a thing to be inactive — I’ll still get 100% of the loot either way.” Does that even make sense? Or am I misunderstanding the suggestion?

I recall trying to be active during fights and used to WP and went back and tried to help and get loot. I remember continually getting ganked by roamers and could never get to my group because they was +5 minutes away and the fight was always gone and they had moved on. This was back when it was still competitive and active. I also recall on how Anet said they wanted to make an MMO that was different than other ones but from your response I guess not, but this also comes from the woman who encourages bashing and insulting other players, so I guess Anet lowered their standards.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Vicious.3042

Vicious.3042

(20 Years Later…)

Posted by: Novahh.7426

Novahh.7426

To be completely fair, if you die in a fight and waypoint fast enough you can still get loot from the guys you tagged. So that’s a plus

Guild Leader of The Legacy [OBEY]
Guardian – Legends Never [DIE]
Fort Aspenwood, WvW Rank: 2,675

HazyDaisy.4107

Just fix it so that loot only goes to the person that spikes, if there’s no spike (if the body is beat to death) no loot. If I get a hit in, get out of combat and wp, or get a hit in die and wp, no loot! Problem solved

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: borgs.6103

borgs.6103

As you yourself have stated, it’s an ability. Abilities don’t work when a player is dead.

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

To be completely fair, if you die in a fight and waypoint fast enough you can still get loot from the guys you tagged. So that’s a plus

right thats, the point of this post, just streamline it so it goes into your inventory so that we don’t have to do this “gimmick” of way pointing quickly in order to get our bags.

I find that the only way to reliably get all bags is if i spam the waypoint when I am in a downed state (before I die), which means im not using down state skills or looking around me to see if someone can raise me because im busy looking at the map and spamming the waypoint.

Makes more sense to make it streamlined so I can see if a raise is possible and not get stressed about bags, because they go into my inventory anyways.

aka. “The Complainer”

HazyDaisy.4107

What you’re suggesting would inevitably lead to the type of tag and run or afk and die farming that occurs in Silverwastes though. It should be fixed there and it should never make its way to wvw.

Sorrows Furnace

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

What you’re suggesting would inevitably lead to the type of tag and run or afk and die farming that occurs in Silverwastes though. It should be fixed there and it should never make its way to wvw.

You can do all 3 of those things already. How does streamlining auto loot “lead” to this type of farming. I’m actually curious?

You can already tag enemies in zerg vs zerg, run, and if they die you get loot.
You can already tag enemies run and AFK and if they die you get loot.
You can already tag enemies and then die and spam the waypoint to rez up and if they die you get loot.

aka. “The Complainer”

Posted by: Bridget Morrigan.1752

Bridget Morrigan.1752

Overall its basic failure. Yes you can “use” the view from your corpse etc. But this “use” is the reward. Not the loot in this case. You can get a rewarded item for every single thing. Yes you even get rewarded for logging in.
Maybe we should get rewards every 1min we’re alive in combat.
Maybe we should get passive rewards when around a CMD.
etc etc.

The actual reward of staying alive is playing the game and killing more. Your death is already rewarded. Not for you, no. For the enemy. You now have to get your butt up and WP. Penalty. Even minigolf has it. Saw no one complain there yet.

If it is better or wiser for team play for someone to take a death and/or stay on the ground once dead—as it sometimes is in WvW situations—then that person should not be penalized for their kamikaze maneuver. Period, end of story. That is not “losing,” because the game that is played in WvW is played on a macro-level, by and large.

Tactics (such as a better view when dead and the ability to report back to the commander) are not a reward in and of themselves, and sacrificing for the good of the group should not come at a monetary cost to the individual.

Gaile seemed to be unable to picture a concept in which dying =/= losing (and the opposite, living = winning). But that kind of simplistic thinking is a basic misunderstanding of the way in which tactics and situations can work in WvW, in the game that ANet designed.

Past that being understood by Gaile and her colleagues, I don’t really care what happens with this particular request.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

right thats, the point of this post, just streamline it so it goes into your inventory so that we don’t have to do this “gimmick” of way pointing quickly in order to get our bags.

I find that the only way to reliably get all bags is if i spam the waypoint when I am in a downed state (before I die), which means im not using down state skills or looking around me to see if someone can raise me because im busy looking at the map and spamming the waypoint.

Makes more sense to make it streamlined so I can see if a raise is possible and not get stressed about bags, because they go into my inventory anyways.

I do not think that getting back to the action as quickly as possible qualifies as a gimmick.

Balthazzarr.1349

It’s not a “gimmick”… it’s a penalty for dying. If you die before the loot drops then it’s on YOU to do what it takes to get that loot. Not get rewarded by having it drop in your bag because you couldn’t survive to get it. That’s the point of what the Anet person said and many others here.

The alternative to this would be NO chance of getting the loot at all if you die. At least you have the option of wp’ing and going back to claim that bit of loot that you can probably sell for a tiny bit of silver.. :P

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

Doesn’t matter Anet doesn’t update anything in wvw anyways good suggestions or otherwise so who cares. Not to mention I have no idea why wvwers would object to an update to auto loot that would result in getting more loot. Especially when all wvwers complained about for years was no loot/rewards…. but whatever lol.

This is one of those suggestions, where if Anet just changed it so you got loot no matter what every wvw would say, “we like this” or “good job Anet more loot” but because I’m suggesting it, it’s an absolutely horrible idea, for some reason which nobody can figure out.

I mean at best it’s more loot, at worst it’s irrelevant, but you know keep up the good fight.

People object because it encourages people to lay dead on the ground instead of releasing and running back to the fight.

right….. so loot auto going into your inventory = you are encouraged to stay dead? Im not seeing the connection. Seems completely unrelated to me.

I can’t recall ever playing a game where, when you died (essentially when you failed in some way), you still automatically were given every bit of the loot you would have acquired if you stayed alive, contributed to the fight, got ressed by a comrade, or used other mechanics (like WP) to rejoin the battle. Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but shouldn’t death have a death penalty of some sort? It’s modest enough, with the mechanics in place, but should it be zero?

Yes, I do believe that such functionality would discourage active play. “I’m dead. I’ll just lie here and gather all my goodies while I go order a pizza. Doesn’t cost me a thing to be inactive — I’ll still get 100% of the loot either way.” Does that even make sense? Or am I misunderstanding the suggestion?

You cant recall a game where you still get loot after your died?
Yet here we have a game where you can stay alive and not get any loot!

Since launch WvW has ignored the work of support classes, especially healers!
My build is designed for healing, and because of that, I do low damage.
But my healing keeps my group’s high damage players alive to do that damage!
They get all the loot, I get scraps!

If that fair also?!

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

“I’m dead. I’ll just lie here and gather all my goodies while I go order a pizza. Doesn’t cost me a thing to be inactive — I’ll still get 100% of the loot either way.”

QoL.
;)

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Once i went for a mastery points, slipped out on the rock just before and fell to death. Dear anet can you just put it on my mastery point stack as i was heading to it? Ty.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

HazyDaisy.4107

You can do all 3 of those things already. How does streamlining auto loot “lead” to this type of farming. I’m actually curious?

You can already tag enemies and then die and spam the waypoint to rez up and if they die you get loot.

Yes, you can if you dont abuse the system, but if your bags were deposited everytime, do you think as many people would actually fight?

It would start with abuse of rangers and necros afking in one of the south camps that flip often, a zerg comes in, their pets / minion tag a group of something, they lay there afk and dead thru the whole timer and just collect loot as the friendly zerg kills them from a wall of one of the keeps. Then these “wvw players” would take to the forums and complain about the existence of the FORCED wp timer, because it’s as long as the RI afterall, why can’t they just lay there or have someone rez them so they can continue afking and collect loot again the next go around like they do in pve…WHY are wvwers so mean not rezzing people?

Then “the gankers” would catch on, solid PITA thieves and mesmers, that currently kill backline squirrelers would now just steal from them or pop a clone on them, stealth and run, or dive right in the middle, drop a gravity well or thief spin to win and lay there dead!

Then, what’s left of the small havoc groups and scouts would start, “zerg of 50 at south ruin, We’re gonna suicide, and then go eat, someone come and kill these fools so I can get my bags”

Then the guilds and duelers…trying to preserve what’s left of honest gvgs and 1v1s, when some scrub comes in and starts a fight over almighty loot. You know some of those guys still let the enemy kill them and the friendlies leave them dead on purpose?

If it didn’t matter that regardless of how it played out, you’d get a bag, then it’s naive to say it wouldn’t be abused or it wouldn’t lead to other “streamlining”.

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Hee Haw.7164

Hee Haw.7164

If it is better or wiser for team play for someone to take a death and/or stay on the ground once dead—as it sometimes is in WvW situations—then that person should not be penalized for their kamikaze maneuver. Period, end of story. That is not “losing,” because the game that is played in WvW is played on a macro-level, by and large.

Tactics (such as a better view when dead and the ability to report back to the commander) are not a reward in and of themselves, and sacrificing for the good of the group should not come at a monetary cost to the individual.

Gaile seemed to be unable to picture a concept in which dying =/= losing (and the opposite, living = winning). But that kind of simplistic thinking is a basic misunderstanding of the way in which tactics and situations can work in WvW, in the game that ANet designed.

I think that the big picture strategies are made up of many small trade-offs.

If I’m a mesmer, and I get killed in a failed keep capture, I can choose to WP or lay dead. The advantages to WPing are collecting any loot bags that drop after the fact, and getting back to playing (in whatever capacity) sooner. The advantages to laying dead are a view of what’s going on inside the keep, and the ability to keep a number of enemies busy looking for an ally who may be trying to res me (and the ability to be ressed, should that ally actually exist).

I like that both of those situations have multiple advantages and disadvantages, and that adds, for me anyway, a layer of strategic complexity that I appreciate.

Likewise, it’s more engaging to me as a player to have the loot functioning the way it does. It adds a tiny bit of urgency to the decision of whether to wait or release. And that small of bit of complexity adds more value to the game mode, for me, than 99.99% of the loot I might miss.

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Yes, you can if you dont abuse the system, but if your bags were deposited everytime, do you think as many people would actually fight?

It would start with abuse of rangers and necros afking in one of the south camps that flip often, a zerg comes in, their pets / minion tag a group of something, they lay there afk and dead thru the whole timer and just collect loot as the friendly zerg kills them from a wall of one of the keeps. Then these “wvw players” would take to the forums and complain about the existence of the FORCED wp timer, because it’s as long as the RI afterall, why can’t they just lay there or have someone rez them so they can continue afking and collect loot again the next go around like they do in pve…WHY are wvwers so mean not rezzing people?

Then “the gankers” would catch on, solid PITA thieves and mesmers, that currently kill backline squirrelers would now just steal from them or pop a clone on them, stealth and run, or dive right in the middle, drop a gravity well or thief spin to win and lay there dead!

Then, what’s left of the small havoc groups and scouts would start, “zerg of 50 at south ruin, We’re gonna suicide, and then go eat, someone come and kill these fools so I can get my bags”

Then the guilds and duelers…trying to preserve what’s left of honest gvgs and 1v1s, when some scrub comes in and starts a fight over almighty loot. You know some of those guys still let the enemy kill them and the friendlies leave them dead on purpose?

If it didn’t matter that regardless of how it played out, you’d get a bag, then it’s naive to say it wouldn’t be abused or it wouldn’t lead to other “streamlining”.

I have to explain the existing mechanics it seems….

An enemy that you tag has a built in decay of about 1-2 minutes, where if the enemy you tag doesn’t die within that time frame you don’t get experience or loot. This is already how the game handles tagging.

So again I’m not asking that this aspect be changed at all. Given that decay in tagging Is already a mechanic, I still don’t see how streamlining loot going into your inventory encourages “tagging and remaing dead while waiting for the afk timer” I’m actually not sure what you’re talking about…

What is interesting is that when it comes to tagging npcs and getting credit for structures the decay seems to be much longer. I’ve killed a vet guard at a supply camp and run away, only for said camp to be captured by my allies 30 min later, and I got full credit for the camp capture.

aka. “The Complainer”

(edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108)

Balthazzarr.1349

I have to explain the existing mechanics it seems….

An enemy that you tag has a built in decay of about 1-2 minutes, where if the enemy you tag doesn’t die within that time frame you don’t get experience or loot. This is already how the game handles tagging.

So again I’m not asking that this aspect be changed at all. Given that decay in tagging Is already a mechanic, I still don’t see how streamlining loot going into your inventory encourages “tagging and remaing dead while waiting for the afk timer” I’m actually not sure what you’re talking about…

What is interesting is that when it comes to tagging npcs and getting credit for structures the decay seems to be much longer. I’ve killed a vet guard at a supply camp and run away, only for said camp to be captured by my allies 30 min later, and I got full credit for the camp capture.

It should be noted that the credit you get is while you are alive. If you were laying there dead at the time I bet you wouldn’t get that credit. :P

lol, I might have to tag a camp then get myself killed and get my buddies to finish taking it to see what happens.. I’m curious now!

HazyDaisy.4107

Equally, I’m not sure how you fail to see that if you got your way and dead loot told tales it wouldn’t be long before people complained about the decay timer as well or started looking for ways to better benefit from this change.

2 months ago, no one got stressed about 2 enemies at a sentry, now it’s all about the loot and participation. 2 months ago if I was playing on an outnumbered map, no one cared unless they were on a T3 garri, now it’s 5 extra pips and to get it all you have to do is be there at the tic end. 2 years ago, alot of people actually scouted, now they sit in towers and watch for dots and swords.

Every change alters the way people play. This “suggestion” already has a fail safe that isn’t overly abused, but would be and would open doors for “modications” if inacted.

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It should be noted that the credit you get is while you are alive. If you were laying there dead at the time I bet you wouldn’t get that credit. :P

lol, I might have to tag a camp then get myself killed and get my buddies to finish taking it to see what happens.. I’m curious now!

If events in WvW work like events in PvE, you’ll get credit as long as the decay timer has not gone off, alive or dead. I doubt that ANet bothered to change the way events work based on which mode they’re in.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I have actually experienced people guarding sentries, which is just ridiculous. Not just one person mind you, which wouldn’t bother me, but having two and three people come out of nowhere to stop me (or to kill me) from getting a sentry.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I have actually experienced people guarding sentries, which is just ridiculous. Not just one person mind you, which wouldn’t bother me, but having two and three people come out of nowhere to stop me (or to kill me) from getting a sentry.

Boredom, probably, or bad luck.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

In the olden days we often would have six guarding yaks on reset.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

WvW is too hard for me! I cant get the POI’s for it to get world completion!

You removed that from the game Gaile so your adored PvE players didnt have to work for their title and achievement!

Does that even make sense? Or am I misunderstanding?

World Exploration without completely exploring the entire world?!

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Gaile, If you played as much WvW as I have, you would know how many times I’ve missed out on rare items (the ones that drop in the form of a chest), as a blob instantly comes in and k.o.‘s me and our team literally as the last bit of health from a champion is killed, and LITERALLY 1 second later after I’ve died, my loot bag/s (and occasionally) rare item chest drop by my corpse. How is this fair? I miss out on my loot because we get killed, and the boss just so happened to die literally 1 second later?

I support the original poster 100%.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Gaile, If you played as much WvW as I have, you would know how many times I’ve missed out on rare items (the ones that drop in the form of a chest), as a blob instantly comes in and k.o.‘s me and our team literally as the last bit of health from a champion is killed, and LITERALLY 1 second later after I’ve died, my loot bag/s (and occasionally) rare item chest drop by my corpse. How is this fair? I miss out on my loot because we get killed, and the boss just so happened to die literally 1 second later?

You don’t seem to play much either if that is your tactic. You should have scouts posted and prepare to engage or duck out of the lord room, if an enemy zerg arrives. People who sit at lord when an enemy zerg ass jams them don’t deserve said loot.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It IS annoying, I’ll grant. But that’s why when I can see that the tide of the battle is turning, I turn tail and flee before the enemy can chase me down.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

You don’t seem to play much either if that is your tactic. You should have scouts posted and prepare to engage or duck out of the lord room, if an enemy zerg arrives. People who sit at lord when an enemy zerg ass jams them don’t deserve said loot.

blameshifting
noun
the act of transferring responsibility for an error or problem to another; also written blame shifting

Examples
cheap shots and blameshifting

Dictionary.com’s 21st Century Lexicon
Copyright © 2003-2014 Dictionary.com, LLC

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

blameshifting
noun
the act of transferring responsibility for an error or problem to another; also written blame shifting

Examples

So you’re saying you deserve loot even though you sat at lord whilst the enemy came in the and destroyed you? You’re the kind of people that so many organised WvWers get kittened off at.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

HazyDaisy.4107

People seem to be forgetting that auto loot functionality was introduced so players wouldn’t have to go to each and every body (npc or human) and press F. ALOT of people missed loot before this change everywhere in game. Before the masteries they introduced aoe loot that required only 1 press of F, but even before the mastery, you still had to be ALIVE to be able to press F ANYWHERE IN GAME!

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Bolita.2071

Bolita.2071

I was having a problem with my alt account that is ranked much lower than my main account. I was alive and in battle, but when we backtracked, there were loot bags all over. I thought that it was my error and that I hadn’t traited auto-looting, but when I checked, I was traited. No idea why it wasn’t working. :/

Now I wonder how many precursors I left scattered about….

HazyDaisy.4107

There was something funky going on with 2 of the check boxes under options regarding auto loot awhile back, I can’t remember exactly, but it was something like if you had both boxes checked it didn’t work as intended.

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Ya I mean right? The downed state isn’t enough of a soft cap on death already that we need auto-loot while dead too? Is good to see someone at anet draw the line in the sand when it comes to introducing more hand-holding mechanics.

Yes it is good to see them drawing a line. But for the line to be drawn THAT far back? It literally validates ALL of the kitten hand holding mechanics we have to deal with to date. And what do we gain? A promise that the hand holding won’t get worse than it already is…? lol…..look through the years of this game and you’ll see that is a complete lie.

Honestly I don’t think Gaile plays wvsw at all with a comment like that. IN THE SAKE OF FAIRNESS and consistency and LOGIC, the OP’s request is COMPLETELY reasonable! Are we all not surprised it doesn’t already exist ingame? I can’t be the only one caught offguard that my auto-loot sends my bags to my corpse rather than my inventory but only when I’m dead…? WHAT!?!?? Is there some kind of magic I actively cast while alive that empties a select RNG bag from all the bodies I ‘tap’? Is that what we are going for here? Is it really that far of a stretch that said magic should still be cast when im dead? Cause currently it ports it to my body, when im ded, by there’s some magic barrier preventing it from going into my inventory…SPOOOOKYYY MAGIC!!

I mean somehow I can port my body, while I’m dead, back to a waypoint and be fully revived no sweat WITHOUT COST and continue to get loot from all the things I tapped. But getting looot ported to my body and not my inventory bag while dead is just somehow impossible by the laws of this game? Some kind of magic that placed the loot ontop of my inventory bags rather than in them BUT ONLY when im dead….lol. ANd this is justified because……..its too hand holdey?

lol…..cmon guys, srsly. NOt impressed by ur analysis Gaile, not impressed. Might as well just start putting up invisible walls in your game, claiming that its too “confusing and busy looking” without them.
If you want fairness and less hand holdey gameplay, you should cancel all loot from things someone taps AS SOON AS THEY ARE DEAD!!!
That way I no longer get scores of loot from all the things I ran into and died to. presently I can just jump into a pile of bodies and tap them all…die….respawn….and then up to 10 mins or so later get piles and piles of loot for their bodies should they ‘die somehwere’.
Why aren’t you advocating for this Gaile? This is something that makes sense if implemented, and does what you said is needed in games!
See what happened there? I agreed with the opening cause what he said was logical. I looked at what you said was “needed”, and found a way to make it apply to the game in an even MORE logical manner than the OP. Now we have the opposite of what the OP wanted! Do I care if the game is less hand holdey or more? yes! But the most logical route is the right route regardless of what I think or you think. I’m not gonna make some enemy regen all my hp once I kill it just cause the game needs to be easier! I’m gonna make a logical way for the game to be easier…….

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

blameshifting
noun

Examples

So you’re saying you deserve loot even though you sat at lord whilst the enemy came in the and destroyed you? You’re the kind of people that so many organised WvWers get kittened off at.

Yup. A couple of weeks ago, I was tagged up and attacking SM. When inner went down, I saw the enemy zerg move out of a different gate to deal with the 3rd server. When we got into the lord’s room, my exact words were “Stay alert. They’re close. Don’t tunnel vision on the keep lord.” I moved to a hallway and said “Here.” 5 people moved with me. 50 exploded when the other zerg flanked the crap out of them, because they were still standing around the keep lord auto casting.

As a commander, this types of thing is extremely frustrating, because it’s entirely unnecessary. If you kill the players, THEN kill the lord, you get MORE loot. If you tunnel vision on the lord, you ARE loot.

As a thief, though, I’ve exploited this behavior to the fullest, designing entire builds around being able to get 10 people to completely break off of a zerg fight, turn their back fully to our zerg, and try chasing me. All due to the thought that they might be able to catch me and get that 1 loot bag. Usually, they can’t, which makes it all the more hilarious when the 25+people they completely forgot about continues to push forward and runs them the hell over.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

lol… can’t rez yourself if you’re dead…

That’s why you do it before you die. Pets are overpowered.

Pets OP? lol. I run Ranger/Druid. Pets can be handy but in a big battle they’re pretty much useless. I get attacked by someones pet and barely notice it.

Yeah fighting a bunker druid meanwhile hit pet hits me for 5-7k because fixed stats always made sense. #MakePetStatsScaleWithYours.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Ya I mean right? The downed state isn’t enough of a soft cap on death already that we need auto-loot while dead too? Is good to see someone at anet draw the line in the sand when it comes to introducing more hand-holding mechanics.

Yes it is good to see them drawing a line. But for the line to be drawn THAT far back? It literally validates ALL of the kitten hand holding mechanics we have to deal with to date. And what do we gain? A promise that the hand holding won’t get worse than it already is…? lol…..look through the years of this game and you’ll see that is a complete lie.

Honestly I don’t think Gaile plays wvsw at all with a comment like that. IN THE SAKE OF FAIRNESS and consistency and LOGIC, the OP’s request is COMPLETELY reasonable! Are we all not surprised it doesn’t already exist ingame? I can’t be the only one caught offguard that my auto-loot sends my bags to my corpse rather than my inventory but only when I’m dead…? WHAT!?!?? Is there some kind of magic I actively cast while alive that empties a select RNG bag from all the bodies I ‘tap’? Is that what we are going for here? Is it really that far of a stretch that said magic should still be cast when im dead? Cause currently it ports it to my body, when im ded, by there’s some magic barrier preventing it from going into my inventory…SPOOOOKYYY MAGIC!!

I mean somehow I can port my body, while I’m dead, back to a waypoint and be fully revived no sweat WITHOUT COST and continue to get loot from all the things I tapped. But getting looot ported to my body and not my inventory bag while dead is just somehow impossible by the laws of this game? Some kind of magic that placed the loot ontop of my inventory bags rather than in them BUT ONLY when im dead….lol. ANd this is justified because……..its too hand holdey?

lol…..cmon guys, srsly. NOt impressed by ur analysis Gaile, not impressed. Might as well just start putting up invisible walls in your game, claiming that its too “confusing and busy looking” without them.
If you want fairness and less hand holdey gameplay, you should cancel all loot from things someone taps AS SOON AS THEY ARE DEAD!!!
That way I no longer get scores of loot from all the things I ran into and died to. presently I can just jump into a pile of bodies and tap them all…die….respawn….and then up to 10 mins or so later get piles and piles of loot for their bodies should they ‘die somehwere’.
Why aren’t you advocating for this Gaile? This is something that makes sense if implemented, and does what you said is needed in games!
See what happened there? I agreed with the opening cause what he said was logical. I looked at what you said was “needed”, and found a way to make it apply to the game in an even MORE logical manner than the OP. Now we have the opposite of what the OP wanted! Do I care if the game is less hand holdey or more? yes! But the most logical route is the right route regardless of what I think or you think. I’m not gonna make some enemy regen all my hp once I kill it just cause the game needs to be easier! I’m gonna make a logical way for the game to be easier…….

Git gud tbh Theres enough handhelding