Aviator Memory Box

Aviator Memory Box

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kerrzhe.1068

Kerrzhe.1068

The new Aviator Memory Box is great but I can only see myself with the arms extended. Everyone else who uses the box stays the same

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm..says in the description that your arms will be extended. No mention of seeing anyone else with arms extended. /shrug

“Interacting with the box causes everything you see to appear in film grain and extends your arms so you’re ready for takeoff.”

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Yeah, noticed this as well. Still fun

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Kerrzhe.1068

Kerrzhe.1068

Yeah, if I drop a box for other people to use, I can’t tell that they’ve used it. So you don’t get to see a big swarm of people being airplanes

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I think it’s great it doesn’t affect others. I can imagine some nice machinima filmed in this effect.

Now, I wasn’t able to turn it off and the “transformed” had no time limit showing. Logging to character select and back in turned it off.

Aviator Memory Box

Yargesh.4965

I think it’s great it doesn’t affect others. I can imagine some nice machinima filmed in this effect.

Now, I wasn’t able to turn it off and the “transformed” had no time limit showing. Logging to character select and back in turned it off.

Interact with the box turns it on and off.

Aviator Memory Box

Donari.5237

Oh thanks! So filmers just need to stash it in a corner near the film location, or drop another box if they’ve moved on. Or, well, relog.

Aviator Memory Box

Yargesh.4965

Yeah, if I drop a box for other people to use, I can’t tell that they’ve used it. So you don’t get to see a big swarm of people being airplanes

I agree it would be cool but the number of people going bug kitten crazy over anything and everything probably limited what ANET was willing to do.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I was looking forward to this item, but I can’t get it until I know this is going to be fixed.

If this is a bug: That’s fine.

If this is intentional because some of the community did not have a sense of humor during April 1st: I would be sad.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

I would think it would show anyone who used the box with the aviator cap and their arms out, but only the film grain effect for the users themselves. Kind of boring if it doesn’t transform those who interact with it the same way as other toys do.

Aviator Memory Box

DarkWasp.7291

Honestly I don’t even want the post processing effects.

I just want to run around with my arms out and not be the only one who sees it.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

While it’s limitations are arguable, I’m glad to see that Anet brought this out at least. Wasn’t my favorite April Fools thing, but a lot of people liked it.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

So happy they put this ingame. Don’t care too much about the aviator stuff, but the “sepia-mode” is simply pretty

Thanks Anet <3

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Encarton.3985

Encarton.3985

Yeah I would also like to be able to see other people who have used the item in airplane mode. I wouldn’t mind if its limited so that you can only see other people in airplane mode if you are in airplane mode yourself either. I just want to see other people zooming around while they’re using it too.

Also, I’d really like for the WvW, PvP, and Dungeon restrictions to be lifted as well…

Asura Engineer Doc Sokk on the Isle of Janthir

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

If both people are in Aviation mode, they should both be able to see eachother as warm, loving airplanes. :<

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

If both people are in Aviation mode, they should both be able to see eachother as warm, loving airplanes. :<

That is probably more work than they wanted to put into it.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The confusion probably comes from the way the Bobblehead Laboratory works from last year’s prank. With that when it is used everyone has a bobblehead as viewed by the user and others can use it to receive the same results. It appears with the Aviator box only the user is seen in airplane mode.

That said, wasn’t the airplane mode supposed to be super offensive according to all the rage posted on April 1? Where is the rage and offense that this is being offered as a gem store item now?

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Aviator Memory Box

Pockets.3201

The confusion probably comes from the way the Bobblehead Laboratory works from last year’s prank. With that when it is used everyone has a bobblehead as viewed by the user and others can use it to receive the same results. It appears with the Aviator box only the user is seen in airplane mode.

That said, wasn’t the airplane mode supposed to be super offensive according to all the rage posted on April 1? Where is the rage and offense that this is being offered as a gem store item now?

Only the people who want to see it will see it now. Out of sight, out of mind.

Aviator Memory Box

JustTrogdor.7892

Only the people who want to see it will see it now. Out of sight, out of mind.

Ahh, but it if was so offensive isn’t still offensive to sell such an item? Someone might accidentally interact with it and be offended.

The Burninator

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

That is probably more work than they wanted to put into it.

But they’re paid for it.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

The rage on April 1st had nothing to do with being offended. Those were trolls.... The rage on the 1st was about the lack of choice to turn it off, and that is not an issue. Most people didn’t want to ruin it for people enjoying it, they just wanted the option to turn it off because it was stupid and annoying.

Aviator Memory Box

JustTrogdor.7892

The rage on April 1st had nothing to do with being offended. Those were trolls….

That is exactly what I was pointing out. If you followed those threads many people were pretending to be offended because they didn’t like the prank. They were using it as an excuse to rage and sadly as an attempt to make their point that they didn’t like the prank more valid. I forgot to add the /sarcasm I guess. I thought the face was enough.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

I got the sarcasm, I choose to ignore it so i could complain once again about how stupid April first with Anet is :P

Aviator Memory Box

JustTrogdor.7892

I got the sarcasm, I choose to ignore it so i could complain once again about how stupid April first with Anet is :P

I didn’t think the prank was the best thing since sliced bread but it was a one day event. So I managed to survive.

Alas, I am derailing this thread. So I will bow out now.

The Burninator

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adam Jensen words of wisdom from Deus Ex.

Attachments:

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

The Bobblehead shows everyone with bobbleheads on YOUR screen regardless of if they CHOOSE to interact with it.

I figured this thing would act the same, turning EVERYONE into airplanes. Not sure why it wouldn’t.

One of the fun things about bobbleheads is running around with other people who have also used it and being able to comment on how people look when they do certain things.

Hope they fix it so everyone shows as airplane mode on your own screen when you use it.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Things that we could do during April Fool’s day, and that we cannot do now:

• Titanic screenshots
  • Other pictures with more than one person extending arms
  • Having a friend take a screenshot, as was necessary to get this one , or the one that I was going to take but didn’t have time for on April 1st where I swim through water and a friend takes a screenshot from below, of my character “flying” against the sky above – impossible to do as a selfie

In the original release, you would see the aviator cap only on yourself, not on others; but at least we were able to circumvent this by buying and wearing the aviator head skin, so it was still possible for more than one person to look awesome on a screenshot.

My suggestions for the aviator box would be:

• See yourself in aviator outfit/arms, but also every other player that is currently using the box, or
  • See yourself and your party members in aviator outfit/arms, but no one else

Both of these would fix the above issues and allow us to take full advantage of the feature for awesome screenshots, as we were able on April 1st.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Dabezian.9527

Dabezian.9527

I bought it and it’s honestly really disappointing that you can’t see anyone else and nobody else can see you with your arms out.

It kind of kills the fun of it. It’s like telling a joke but only you can hear it. At least show everyone that has the Transformation with their arms extended.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Reading other people’s responses I think seeing other people who are using it with airplane arms would be just fine and maybe better than seeing everyone in the whole map with airplane arms.

Anything but only yourself.

What would be really fun would be roaming around with a party full of airplanes in WvW. Everyone in the party could interact with the box to see each other with airplane arms and fly around the map having fun together as a squad of bombers :P

Aviator Memory Box

DarkWasp.7291

Seeing as how people have wanted this as an emote since beta I think this should deviate from the bobblehead functionality.

Instead I think it should transform only the people who touched it. Others will see it regardless of if they touched it or not.

The goal is that we can run around like an airplane when we want, not that we just see airplanes.

Emote-like.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

The rage on April 1st had nothing to do with being offended. Those were trolls…. The rage on the 1st was about the lack of choice to turn it off, and that is not an issue. Most people didn’t want to ruin it for people enjoying it, they just wanted the option to turn it off because it was stupid and annoying.

A few days before April1st, on March 24th, an airplane (Germanwings flight 9528) from Barcelona to Dusseldorf crashed in France because the co-pilot locked himself in the kittenpit (flight deck) and crashed the whole airplane to commit suicide. 150 people died. Not only in germany a lot of people were shocked by this incident.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

So, maybe you can understand, why some people were not happy but angry and shocked, when they saw, a few days after this tragic crash, groups of people playing airplane and jumping of the cliffs in GW2 to kill themselves as if they ridicule the victims.

(edited by Zok.4956)

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Inexor.7804

Inexor.7804

The Aviator Memory Box is great, except you can not see others in “airplane-mode”.
And what also annoys me is that there is a cd on the box.
Change the map/go to WvW and the transformation is gone. Just drop another box? Nope, all you get is this annoying message: “You can not use this item again yet.”.

They should really fix/change these two points.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Slackoth.2108

Slackoth.2108

So like, sure it let’s you see yourself in the kitten y T shape with the sound effects, but it someone else uses the box then you can’t see it on them. Nor can they see you in the T shape. So, what’s the point?

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Interacting should be a simple transformation, like all the other transformations in the game – meaning everyone can see the characters with arms out, but only of those people who have interacted.

The sepia tone should, of course, only be seen by those who interact.

Aviator Memory Box

Donari.5237

or the one that I was going to take but didn’t have time for on April 1st where I swim through water and a friend takes a screenshot from below, of my character “flying” against the sky above – impossible to do as a selfie

While I agree that more flexibility would be nice (much as I appreciate not seeing everyone with arms out, so I can get better posed pictures in sepia), I have to disagree with this one comment. Here’s something I took very casually in the first few minutes of discovering the prank. It involves a wide FoV and a lot of zoom out, both standard settings for me now. (Also I put on auto-run so I could free-pan the camera while moving).

Attachments:

Aviator Memory Box

Pixelpumpkin.4608

or the one that I was going to take but didn’t have time for on April 1st where I swim through water and a friend takes a screenshot from below, of my character “flying” against the sky above – impossible to do as a selfie

While I agree that more flexibility would be nice (much as I appreciate not seeing everyone with arms out, so I can get better posed pictures in sepia), I have to disagree with this one comment. Here’s something I took very casually in the first few minutes of discovering the prank. It involves a wide FoV and a lot of zoom out, both standard settings for me now. (Also I put on auto-run so I could free-pan the camera while moving).

Awesome, and good to know, because I really want one. I didn’t manage this on my own when I tried, but I guess I’ll keep trying now

Aviator Memory Box

Pockets.3201

Interacting should be a simple transformation, like all the other transformations in the game – meaning everyone can see the characters with arms out, but only of those people who have interacted.

A fair number of us don’t want to see people doing that. I certainly don’t want to hear them either. I’m fine with everyone who used it seeing that, but please leave me out of it.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

A fair number of us don’t want to see people doing that. I certainly don’t want to hear them either. I’m fine with everyone who used it seeing that, but please leave me out of it.

You must get very upset by tonics, then. Because this would literally be no different.

But no, I wouldn’t expect for you to hear anything.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Fiennis.4387

Fiennis.4387

Apparently you don’t like seeing people having fun because you don’t think it’s fun. OK

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Also disappointed no one else could see me nyooming around after interacting with the box.
Since so many people seem vehemently against this transformation I think it would be fine if you only saw others in airplane mode after interacting with the box yourself.

But I still wonder, what am I missing? What about it is so abrasive?

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Inexor.7804

Inexor.7804

Also disappointed no one else could see me nyooming around after interacting with the box.
Since so many people seem vehemently against this transformation I think it would be fine if you only saw others in airplane mode after interacting with the box yourself.

But I still wonder, what am I missing? What about it is so abrasive?

Dunno.. just some ppl who get offended by everything. They should play a singleplayer game, if others ppl presence annoys them. <.<
There are already ppl bunny hopping around, dancing, spamming skills just for fun, using transformation-potions.. so who cares about if there would be some in airplane-mode on top? :/

Aviator Memory Box

Pockets.3201

You must get very upset by tonics, then. Because this would literally be no different.

But no, I wouldn’t expect for you to hear anything.

I recall hearing other people making the noises during the event even when I was standing still. It got annoying after a while. I suppose I could be wrong on that count though, I did log out right after my daily was finished until it was over.

Apparently you don’t like seeing people having fun because you don’t think it’s fun. OK

By my preference of everyone who used the box seeing it, everyone who wants to have fun with it can. And those that don’t want to deal with it don’t have to. Everyone wins.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I think the people who were upset by it, were so for two reasons: a) because they weren’t expecting it and b) because they couldn’t remove it for a full 24 hours.

…and I guess anyone who felt upset by it, back then, would have just expected it to become a gemstore item, sooner or later (as the bobblehead lab did)?

So, as it’s no longer a surprise, or a shock, to them, they’re no longer upset enough about it to comment.

Plus, now it’s entirely optional and removable.

The rage on April 1st had nothing to do with being offended. Those were trolls….

That is exactly what I was pointing out. If you followed those threads many people were pretending to be offended because they didn’t like the prank. They were using it as an excuse to rage and sadly as an attempt to make their point that they didn’t like the prank more valid. I forgot to add the /sarcasm I guess. I thought the face was enough.

I don’t think you can say, for certain, that no one was genuinely upset by it.

It was very soon after the plane crash.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Fiennis.4387

Fiennis.4387

I don’t understand how a small thing that lasts a single day, that’s a simple goof, can honestly make people that annoyed. We’re staring at our computer screens and something like that happens and people get that irritated? A one day “event”? Do some gamers really have skin that’s paper thin?

Perhaps these are the kinds of people that look out their windows at a bunch of kids laughing and playing and get extremely irritated at the “noise”.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

So happy they put this ingame. Don’t care too much about the aviator stuff, but the “sepia-mode” is simply pretty

Thanks Anet <3

I use SweetFX to achieve my sepia-mode

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Spooksie.4930

Spooksie.4930

I can’t stand this thing. It’s just a trolling tool since no one can back out of it without zoning out of a map. There’s no warning if you click on it and trolls in SW haven’t wasted any time loading these on top of chests and what not.

Zoning out of SW to cancel the thing out means that you will lose your magic find buffs in the process. So yeah….the perfect product for trolls to annoy other players.

At least with the bobble head a dialog pops up that gives other users a choice.

I’m beginning to think that this game is made by trolls for trolls.

Aviator Memory Box

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I can’t stand this thing. It’s just a trolling tool since no one can back out of it without zoning out of a map.

Pressing “F” toggles the effect – you can switch it on or off by interacting with the chest.

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Yea, click the chest once to activate, click again to turn off. Simple.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Aviator Memory Box

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

The rage on April 1st had nothing to do with being offended. Those were trolls…. The rage on the 1st was about the lack of choice to turn it off, and that is not an issue. Most people didn’t want to ruin it for people enjoying it, they just wanted the option to turn it off because it was stupid and annoying.

A few days before April1st, on March 24th, an airplane (Germanwings flight 9528) from Barcelona to Dusseldorf crashed in France because the co-pilot locked himself in the kittenpit (flight deck) and crashed the whole airplane to commit suicide. 150 people died. Not only in germany a lot of people were shocked by this incident.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

So, maybe you can understand, why some people were not happy but angry and shocked, when they saw, a few days after this tragic crash, groups of people playing airplane and jumping of the cliffs in GW2 to kill themselves as if they ridicule the victims.

I missed this before somehow and now I can see how people may have correlated the prank with that tragedy, and why it would be upsetting. The odds of it actually being related are probably nonexistent but I would love to hear something from Anet at least about the coincidence, some reassurance that it wasn’t intentional and an apology to those upset.

And before anyone kittens down my throat about being considerate to sensitive people; You have the right to say and act however you want, but the consequences of your actions can affect others in ways you may not want. Everyone has been through some bad stuff. Being humble and respecting others costs nothing to the person in power and means everything to someone who has been hurt.