Awful Female Human Heavy Armor Art Design

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

The “it’s fantasy so realism would be weird” argument seems to always miss the point. If we take this logic, we could all run around naked because Arcane Shield, yay!

Why not. If Kasmeer can do that, we all can.

• Marjory Delaqua: How’d you get out of all that without a single smudge or tear on your dress?
  • Kasmeer Meade: It’s not a dress. It’s an illusion. You think I’d take my best dress into a place like that?
  • Marjory Delaqua: An illusion? You mean you’re…
  • Kasmeer Meade: Naked. Is that a problem?
  • Marjory Delaqua: Noooo. Not a problem.

Suspension of disbelief is key, and I have a way easier time to believe you when you say the armour is enchanted against magic spells and energy swords when it actually looks like armour, as opposed to you telling me the same thing about a chainmail Bikini.

Suspension of disbelief works different for different people. I think most players have not the knowledge, how armor in reality should be.

However, if you want female armor that protects/covers more skin and is without a boobplate thats fine with me. More armor choice/variation is always a good thing.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Kasmeer is a magic user, though I’m pretty sure plenty of folks in Tyria don’t even know how to magically light a candle, let alone conjour invisible armour. Though I get your point^^

And I was always under the impression that the concept of armour as an assortment of protective gear against combat injuries is pretty universally not known as “three-piece bathing suit with bracers”. I suppose countless fantasy RPGs are to blame for the notion that, as long as I call it armour, it is armour. Meh.

First and foremost I’d love some new armour, period. The old stuff is getting a bit stale, and it’s a golden opportunity to get wildly creative with jungle/sylvari/mordrem themed sets. We don’t have nearly enough of those

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

As for your combat comment, the full body covering armor is what is unrealistic. For one thing trying to bring a realism argument into a fantasy game is idiotic at best, but even in real life, you have armies than even in the 20th century would fight nude in certain circumstances because of the need for agility and mobility. If you want to talk realism, then skimpy armor would be a lot more realistic when fighting fantasy creatures because if you could face a dragon, someone in a bikini will survive longer than someone wearing full metal plate.

Knights in full plate armor were fairly mobile, and their armor actually weighed less then modern infantry full combat gear (IIRC).

If somebody was facing a dragon in a bikini, then they’ll die in a single hit. However somebody in full plate armor won’t have to worry about debris slicing their skin. If enchanted, even more protection is granted.

The “Agility and mobility” line comes into play is if the enemy’s attacks can and WILL one shot kill you from the start, and thus you focus on dodging more then ‘tanking’ the blows.

Have you ever seen someone in actual full plate knights armor because the fact you say they were fairly mobile suggests not. The exact opposite was true. They were very much immobile, slow, lumbering, the opposite of agile.

Flying debris would be the least of your worries if you were to face something like Claw of Jormag. You could be inside 1 inch thick metal armor and you would be one shot, and die quicker then someone who wasn’t so weighted down and had their joints free.

This is where I take issue with this whole debate. For a long time in MMO’s people screamed “give us a choice” and here came GW2 and in a way gave a choice. I say in a way, cause precious little armor in GW2 can truthfully be referred to as ‘skimpy’ and the full coverage armors dominate the fashion landscape yet people still complain about the skimpy armor demanding that NO ONE have the choice, thus showing that people who hate more revealing armor really wish to dictate for everyone.

As for your comments about the Phalanx armor, thank goodness it doesn’t look like male armor. I don’t want to dress like a man. I’ve never gone into Charlotte Russe or Forever 21 and heard anyone ever complain that the clothing didn’t look like men’s clothing. If you went by the icon and didn’t use the dressing room feature before you purchased it, then that frankly is your own fault. GW2 is one of the few games that even give some what honest representations of armor and weapons in their icons.

And for people who say that the skirt on the Phalanx is skimpy, it’s about the same length as the cheerleading skirt I wore at 14 and every other cheerleader wears. Do you go to cheerleading web sites decrying how skimpy the uniforms are?

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Wildkitten.3872

OMG, the people getting the diapers in a wad over impractical armor in this thread are hilarious!

Here’s a Pro-Tip – if you don’t like an armor set, don’t use it.

Play the way you want, and stop worrying about how other people play.

While true, the topic of the thread is to discuss ABOUT the designs.

Yes, and what people are discussing is how they hate people have any options whatsoever.

NO armor in GW2 can realistically be described as skimpy. Yes, medium human T3 shows some underboob. Well, if that upsets people I don’t know how they function in society as any time they go to a public pool or beach they will see more of the breast than that, or that even Disney stars have on occasion showed some side boob themselves.

There are also comments where people want to say the more revealing armors are dominant, and that is simply NOT true. They may be more dominantly worn, but they are not the dominant choices. Someone else already gave a very accurate breakdown on this in an above comment.

People can not also say somehow this is sexist as the lead designer is Kristen Perry, a woman.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kristen_Perry

Believe it or not, there are many of us of the female sex who play this game, and I daresay the vast majority of us do not want to go around looking like men or be androgynous. We like to look stylish in real life, and, regardless of how much the ignorant “realism” argument is brought in, this is a fantasy game, something done for leisure, recreation and enjoyment, and there is nothing wrong with looking stylish in game as well.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Human_female_heavy_armor

There is the heavy armors. Out of 52 total armors, 41 are complete and total coverage showing precious little skin. The only one that could possibly be called skimpy also totally covers the body but is skin tight, the Zodiac, no different than someone wearing a fully spandex cat suit. There is nothing that even comes close to the regular gaming definition of skimpy like you could see in Tera or other games.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Red Queen.7915

Wildkitten, a few things.

1) You don’t dress like a man, you dress like a warrior. If you only think “man” when you think “warrior”, that is no fault but your own and perhaps your upbringing. And do not assume you can speak for me when you say “we” don’t want to run around looking like men. I don’t care if someone thinks my character is a dude, I want her to look like a no-nonsense fighter first and foremost. Again, if you think that’s dude-only, that is your problem.
And armour is not everyday clothing. Saying you don’t want to dress in men’s clothes at work has nothing to do with people dressing to slay monsters, command armies and generally get a lot of violent kitten done. And even with armour, the level of style depends on whether it’s protective or ceremonial armour. The latter is the one where looks matter, but it also won’t protect you when going toe to toe with an actually armed and armoured opponent. Any warrior worth their salt won’t give a crap about looking good when it’s a life or death situation. The ones that do are the ones who end up stabbed in the stomach after thirty seconds.

2) Men are not the only people who can be sexist. That is no argument for or against anything said in this thread (I even believe you are the one who first mentioned anything about sexism, everything else revolved around double standards ind esign and ho it’s weird that the same armour set looks so vastly different depending on who wears it).

3) Your definition of skimpy and other people’s are apparently different. You don’t think human T3 light is skimpy? I do.

4) No-one here but you expressed a problem with people having opinions.

5) No-one is crying for their preferred kind of armour to be the only kind allowed in the game.

6) I didn’t have to go further than Wikipedia to see that the slow, clumsy knight in plate armour is a myth, though I certainly have done my research on this for my writing. I suggest you do a little research of your own on this topic. The guys over at http://howtofightwrite.tumblr.com have some sources under the “knights” tag, it’s as good a place to start as any. Additonally, there are countless videos of people wearing replica armour doing all kinds of stuff, including dodging blows rather nimbly. Probably not gymnast-nimbly, but I’d rather wear a suit of armour than a pair of leggings when I’m about to face a giant monster with huge teeth and claws.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

For me the main problem with the heavy armor is that the chest armor is shaped like breasts. That just can’t be comfortable and besides that it’s downright dangerous in battle. The plate over the chest is there to deflect blows to the side. In the case of two shaped breasts a blade can slide in between, your opponent just has to lift her arm up and you have a blade sticking up your jaw and into your skull.

I too want my characters to be able to be distinguished as female, but I daresay that we do not need skimpy armor, or boob-shaped armor for that. To give an ingame example: the chainmail sets as well as the ascalonian chestpiece.
To give some real world examples:

Attachments:

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

To the people arguing about the “realistic” protection of different armors: this is a game, not real life. For the sake of having fun we all accept (or even demand) that gameworld<>real world.
And it’s fine if for your enjoyment of the game you want your characters in armor that looks like it would protect them really well.
But please don’t try to argue that that preference is somehow more rational than the preference of other players (who might prefer a more sexy look).
See, you are playing a game in which you are set on fire, are repeatedly bashed on with weapons, poisoned, fall from great heights etc. and all it does is reduce your health pool by a certain amount which may or may not magically regenerate.
And when you finally “die” you either respawn at a waypoint or are being revived by a kind player. No permanently crippled limbs, burn marks etc.

So really, armor protection is only an arbitrary number in a damage calculation. Where that number comes from should be left to the imagination of the player and not be part of some argument about real world physics.

So much left that I wanted to see…

Red Queen.7915

Nobody said that this single aspect of the game must be 100% realistic, but that doesn’t automatically mean everyone will accept everything because fantasy! I can’t mention the famous suspension of disbelief often enough; it doesn’t mean the same thing for everyone, but it does describe why you can’t just do whatever under the guise of “it’s fiction”.

By your logic, I could also argue that we have spells to make metal super durable and super light (because fantasy, and that certainly would explain how we survive being chewed on by a Claw of Jormag), so actually, in a world pretty much under siege by dragons and their minions, the most sensible thing to wear is a full suit of armour always and everywhere

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

Nobody said that this single aspect of the game must be 100% realistic, but that doesn’t automatically mean everyone will accept everything because fantasy! I can’t mention the famous suspension of disbelief often enough; it doesn’t mean the same thing for everyone, but it does describe why you can’t just do whatever under the guise of “it’s fiction”.

By your logic, I could also argue that we have spells to make metal super durable and super light (because fantasy, and that certainly would explain how we survive being chewed on by a Claw of Jormag), so actually, in a world pretty much under siege by dragons and their minions, the most sensible thing to wear is a full suit of armour always and everywhere

In case you were replying to me:
But there isn’t an objective logic to the limits of suspension of disbelief. What for Person A breaks the suspension for Person B might be totally fine. And none of them is wrong or right. They are just different.
And BTW I didn’t say that people who prefer a more “protected” look are somehow wrong and it’s totally fine for them to make up that story about the magic metal, but it’s just a story not something you can put forward in an argument about what armor design in Tyria should be like

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

For me the main problem with the heavy armor is that the chest armor is shaped like breasts. That just can’t be comfortable and besides that it’s downright dangerous in battle. The plate over the chest is there to deflect blows to the side. In the case of two shaped breasts a blade can slide in between, your opponent just has to lift her arm up and you have a blade sticking up your jaw and into your skull.

I too want my characters to be able to be distinguished as female, but I daresay that we do not need skimpy armor, or boob-shaped armor for that. To give an ingame example: the chainmail sets as well as the ascalonian chestpiece.

Don’t we already have a big set of those type of armor ingame? In fact if I’m not mistaken the carapace and glorious armor (2 of the aded armor) fit that category.

EverythingOP

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Don’t we already have a big set of those type of armor ingame? In fact if I’m not mistaken the carapace and glorious armor (2 of the aded armor) fit that category.

Don’t forget the Heritage set. Actually, the vast majority of heavy armor is like that.
Everyone complaining clearly hasn’t bothered to check the wardrobe and count.
They just look at the ones the majority of people actually use and assume they’re all like that.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Red Queen.7915

Don’t forget the Heritage set. Actually, the vast majority of heavy armor is like that.
They just look at the ones the majority of people actually use and assume they’re all like that.

If it’s boobplate only, that’s about a third of all heavy sets (checked the wardrobe and counted…). Not quite a vast majority that is left, but more than half is a good start. Now maybe if new sets could stop being designed as death traps, that’d be great^^
Doesn’t mean we have to do away with sexy, but boobplate is less sexy and more weird… ôO

Example of sexy sans boobplate – more of that please

Attachments:

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Curae.1837

As I have spend a fair chunk of the day checking armour for my female norn that doesn’t have a boobplate or random bits of skin sticking out I can say that there isn’t much armor that doesn’t have boobplates. I’m going to leave cultural armor out of the mix as they can’t be used by every race. Some of the armors I list do have a boobplate, but only so slightly that I personally find it neglectable, some like the carapace armour do give the impression of it due to the ornament in between the breasts.

• Ascalonian protector breastplate
  • Brawn of Koda (slighty)
  • Carapace breastplate (impression of)
  • Chain coat
  • Chainmail chestpiece
  • Council Guard Breastplate
  • Guild Defender chestpiece
  • Glorious Breastplate (slightly/impression of))
  • Forgeman Chestplate
  • Heavy Scale chestpiece
    *Inquest Breastplate (slightly/impression of)
  • Militia Breastplate
  • Nightmare Court Breastplate
  • Scale Coat
  • Reinforced scale coat
  • Radiant Cuirass
  • Studded plate armor
  • Tempered Scale breastplate
  • Worn chain coat
  • Worn scale coat

Now that does seem like a lot. However the thing is, basically everything that says ‘chain’ or ‘scale’ and the militia one are low level armor without much detail, so take 9 sets away from what most people will want to use.
The radiant cuirass needs 30k AP to get, so that’s outside the scope of many of us.
The glorious breastplate needs a pvp track to complete, so that leaves those who don’t pvp out of that one as well.

That leaves us with a whopping 8 skins that aren’t boob-plate, low-level-looking or skimpy. Take into account further taste in armour and a lot of those also fall away.
So that’s 8 skins from the 61 we have in game, 10 if they have 30k AP and do pvp as well.

I’m not trying to say we should do away with all the skimpy armour or the armour with boobplates, some people love them and those people should have their pick as well. Just as some people embrace the fantasy weapons and armour I embrace the more realistic weapons and armour. Variety is great and needed, and I would love more options for realistic (chest)armour.

Posted by: HiTandMayhem.1378

HiTandMayhem.1378

I’m just going to leave this here.

http://i.imgur.com/00wAk.jpg

updated because dead link and it just entertains me.

[UNIV] – Guild Leader, [DSM]- founding member
[TLC] – MicroCenturion
Fort Aspenwood Community Member

(edited by HiTandMayhem.1378)

Curae.1837

http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/gallery/weararmour.html

Hah, that’s brilliant. XD

On that note, I’m very thankful we don’t have chainmail bikinis. <3

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

So that’s 8 skins from the 61 we have in game, 10 if they have 30k AP and do pvp as well.

You’re standards are unreasonably high if that’s what you consider to be appropriate.

You seem to be throwing armor that has embellishments on the chest (and thus on the breasts) in with armor that has dysfunctional cleavage.

I mean, what, from a practical perspective, is the flaw of Flame Legion, Ascended, Primeval, Heavy Plate, Dark Templar, or Draconic armor? (there’s more but that’s 6 right there)

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Hypothetically, what if they did? And you still had the existing choices and options, and they added more choices and options for things you’d like to wear. What would be wrong with that? Something for everyone?

Curae.1837

You’re standards are unreasonably high if that’s what you consider to be appropriate.

You seem to be throwing armor that has embellishments on the chest (and thus on the breasts) in with armor that has dysfunctional cleavage.

I mean, what, from a practical perspective, is the flaw of Flame Legion, Ascended, Primeval, Heavy Plate, Dark Templar, or Draconic armor? (there’s more but that’s 6 right there)

Primeval still has the odd nothingness under the chest-area, a gap one could slip a sword into. I was honestly in doubt weather I was going to add it to the list or not, but decided not to.
Flame legion does have separate parts for the breasts, the ascended set so heavily implies the idea by putting different materials over half the breast that I personally find it nearly as bad as the full boob-plate. Heavy plate clearly separates the breasts as well in different compartments, dark templar and draconic armor as well, although dark templar a lot less than most. So I’ll give you that one.

When the topic about female armour comes up the forums I do share my opinion on the armour and what I think about it. I realize very well that my standards are quite high, and as such I also won’t run rampant on the forums about how the rest of the armour sucks (it doesn’t, it’s beautiful just not what I would use on my characters), or how we MUST have more of this armour or anything like that. Hell I can’t even start to explain how glad I am when comparing gw2’s armour to that of a lot of other games.

I just like voicing my opinion on the forums in a friendly way. (although friendly is sometimes difficult to convey over the internet.)

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Flame Legion = Boob Plate
Ascended = Boob Plate
Primeval = fairly mild Boob Plate
Heavy Plate = Boob Plate
Dark Templar = Boob Plate
Draconic Armor = Boob Plate

Breasts molded on to armor create a channel that deflects blows towards areas you don’t want things deflected, as well as creating an actual weak point where weapons are more likely to directly breach the armor. Of all the ones you listed, only Primeval is kind of ok, and honestly that weird under boob shelf is still a death sentence waiting to happen.

But that’s just for those of us who know enough to find our suspension of disbelief thrown by badly designed(from a defensive standpoint) armor.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten, a few things.

1) You don’t dress like a man, you dress like a warrior. If you only think “man” when you think “warrior”, that is no fault but your own and perhaps your upbringing. And do not assume you can speak for me when you say “we” don’t want to run around looking like men. I don’t care if someone thinks my character is a dude, I want her to look like a no-nonsense fighter first and foremost. Again, if you think that’s dude-only, that is your problem.
And armour is not everyday clothing. Saying you don’t want to dress in men’s clothes at work has nothing to do with people dressing to slay monsters, command armies and generally get a lot of violent kitten done. And even with armour, the level of style depends on whether it’s protective or ceremonial armour. The latter is the one where looks matter, but it also won’t protect you when going toe to toe with an actually armed and armoured opponent. Any warrior worth their salt won’t give a crap about looking good when it’s a life or death situation. The ones that do are the ones who end up stabbed in the stomach after thirty seconds.

2) Men are not the only people who can be sexist. That is no argument for or against anything said in this thread (I even believe you are the one who first mentioned anything about sexism, everything else revolved around double standards ind esign and ho it’s weird that the same armour set looks so vastly different depending on who wears it).

3) Your definition of skimpy and other people’s are apparently different. You don’t think human T3 light is skimpy? I do.

4) No-one here but you expressed a problem with people having opinions.

5) No-one is crying for their preferred kind of armour to be the only kind allowed in the game.

6) I didn’t have to go further than Wikipedia to see that the slow, clumsy knight in plate armour is a myth, though I certainly have done my research on this for my writing. I suggest you do a little research of your own on this topic. The guys over at http://howtofightwrite.tumblr.com have some sources under the “knights” tag, it’s as good a place to start as any. Additonally, there are countless videos of people wearing replica armour doing all kinds of stuff, including dodging blows rather nimbly. Probably not gymnast-nimbly, but I’d rather wear a suit of armour than a pair of leggings when I’m about to face a giant monster with huge teeth and claws.

1) Have you not seen the complaints in this very thread some have made about how female armor looks different than the male counterpart? I suggest you go back and reread.

2) I was not directing that at anything in this thread, but rather the overall argument that has gone on with this topic with MMO’s in general that it often breaks down to a sexist act during the debate.

3) No, I do not think that T3 human light can be referred to as skimpy. It has more coverage than the typical swimsuit. It’s getting to the point of ridiculousness that any armor that shows any skin not of the face gets referred to as skimpy by some people. Some ever refer to the heavy Carapace armor as skimpy for merely showing about an inch of mid thigh.

4) When people start lying about things, such as those who claim that skimpy armor makes up the majority when it clearly does not, than that is an attempt to shut down other people’s opinion. That’s the point of lying.

5) Many people have said that NO ONE should have that option. Some even have hinted at it in this thread, but there have been other threads here, on GW2 Guru and Reddit where people have stated point blank there should be no “revealing” armor. And that is where a majority of these threads come down to. In games where there is no choice in armor, people claimed “well give me a choice”. Well GW2 has the choice, so why has this debate over GW2 been raging even before the game was released on the subject? If you don’t to wear armor that shows any skin, you have much more choice than others do, yet there is still no happiness.

6) I think you have no clue over real armor. Have you ever seen a real person in real metal plate armor? They do not dodge around. They do not nimbly roll over the ground and hop right back up while wearing nearly a hundred pounds of metal.

http://www.livescience.com/15128-armor-drained-medieval-knight-energy.html

You are the one who needs to do a little research on the subject.

And if you would rather wear that when facing something with huge teeth and claws, then you would be the among the first to die, because no amount of armor would protect you. Might as well wrap yourself in Reynolds aluminum foil.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

(edited by Wildkitten.3872)

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

But that’s just for those of us who know enough to find our suspension of disbelief thrown by badly designed(from a defensive standpoint) armor.

Yes, because those who can keep the suspension are only able to do so because they don’t know enough…

Edit: Next – remove Ettins and Abominations from the game because their club swings should realistcally be instakills

(edited by BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372)

Substance E.4852

Breasts molded on to armor create a channel that deflects blows towards areas you don’t want things deflected, as well as creating an actual weak point where weapons are more likely to directly breach the armor. Of all the ones you listed, only Primeval is kind of ok, and honestly that weird under boob shelf is still a death sentence waiting to happen.

Citation needed.

But you’re fragile suspension is A okay with a 4ft tall 90lb human going toe to toe with an 9ft tall 600lb Norn man that looks like he’s the Hulk’s flesh toned cousin?

Or even the buffest, tallest Asura for that matter? Both would have half their bones shatter from a simple back hand.

Hell, you guys can have realism. In exchange:
-You now have to move at 1/2 the speed of a character in any other armor weight.
-Skills requiring extreme movement like 100blades are now verboten.
-Jump height is reduced.
-Dodge rolling will cause you to immediately enter a state of permanent knockdown that can only be cured by an ally lifting you up.
-Dry Top, Silverwastes, any Maguma zone, and Mount Maelstrom (volcano specifically) will now give a unique “heat stroke” condition that will rapidly drain HP until you leave the area.
-Entering any body of water will cause you to immediately sink to the bottom.

People want to play junior historians and cry “unrealistic design” but are totally fine with everything else not working normally.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/07/15/rspb.2011.0816

“The significant energetic cost of moving in armour is likely to have had a profound limitation on soldiers’ performance, and may have contributed to the outcome of certain battles. For example, during the Battle of Agincourt (1415), heavily armoured French knights advanced towards the English men-at-arms across terrain made extremely muddy from recent ploughing, over-night rain and an earlier French cavalry charge. Exhaustion of the French knights is cited as a contributing factor to their demise at the hands of the more lightly armoured English archers 18.”

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Ringsound.7806

Ringsound.7806

i should be grateful that GW2 artwork isnt made by traditional Korean or Japanese MMO artist

Wildkitten.3872

Yes, because those who can keep the suspension are only able to do so because they don’t know enough…

Edit: Next – remove Ettins and Abominations from the game because their club swings should realistcally be instakills

Also have to get rid of all Undead. I mean, if armor that conforms to the shape of the human body destroys believability, how can dead things walking around be something they can suspend disbelief over.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Substance E.4852

Also, for fans of hyper realism, no more giant great swords of any kind.

https://youtu.be/VNc7kHADtUw?t=51

The Buster Sword weighed 54lbs and a guy who looks like he lives in the gym was winded after a few swings.

Wildkitten.3872

Also, for fans of hyper realism, no more giant great swords of any kind.

https://youtu.be/VNc7kHADtUw?t=51

The Buster Sword weighed 54lbs and a guy who looks like he lives in the gym was winded after a few swings.

This is an excellent point. Many of the weapons are much more unbelievable in any form of realism than any armors that are in game, yet odd isn’t it how no one complains about that.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Substance E.4852

Oh, another new ‘rule’.

Anyone in any light armor that is subjected to the “Burning” condition will instantly have their armor placed in a damaged state as materials such as silk and cotton are quite flammable.

This will lower one’s defenses, but since silk is even more susceptible to stabbings to the solar plexus than even the infamous “boob plate”, this will make little difference overall.

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I hate the oversized weapons too. I never said I expected them or the unrealistic armor to go away. Just that I don’t like them.

You can cry fantasy, and say realism has no place because magic all you want, I don’t care. It’s not like I’m going to get my way, and I’m OK with that. I do retain the right to think it looks absolutely ridiculous, and the right to think anyone who likes it has poor taste. You are, of course, free to think whatever you want.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

It’s true, I have seen people make comments that say that skimpy armor should not exist in game. Some of these people do not want to even see something they don’t like. How dare we want to wear something they don’t approve of?! I literally had someone on reddit insult me for saying that we should have choices. Anet has always been about providing choices for people. There should be BOTH practical/realistic sets and skimpy options.

Wildkitten.3872

Oh, and another thing about those who lump chain mail armor and complaining about it being “boob plate”, chain mail is flexible, it will form to the body’s contours. The only way you would not see the breasts defined is if it was very much oversized, which of course would be even more unrealistic because no warrior would want the extra weight for no added benefit.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

non boob plate armor request is legit.
request realistic look is legit too.
But request the above by saying we have more skimpy armor than non skimpy armor is not okay. It is a lie. We actually have non skimpy heavy armor a lot more than skimpy one. But i agree realistic choice is very limited.

We must be clear to define boob plate =/= skimpy. unrealistic =/= skimpy. Most armor designs are not realistic nor skimpy currently.

We sure need more choices of skimpy and realistic heavy armor.

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

To the people arguing about the “realistic” protection of different armors: this is a game, not real life. For the sake of having fun we all accept (or even demand) that gameworld<>real world.
And it’s fine if for your enjoyment of the game you want your characters in armor that looks like it would protect them really well.
But please don’t try to argue that that preference is somehow more rational than the preference of other players (who might prefer a more sexy look).
See, you are playing a game in which you are set on fire, are repeatedly bashed on with weapons, poisoned, fall from great heights etc. and all it does is reduce your health pool by a certain amount which may or may not magically regenerate.
And when you finally “die” you either respawn at a waypoint or are being revived by a kind player. No permanently crippled limbs, burn marks etc.

So really, armor protection is only an arbitrary number in a damage calculation. Where that number comes from should be left to the imagination of the player and not be part of some argument about real world physics.

It should be pointed out that the Story would be pretty awful if it followed the same fantastical rules that you described (playing the game). There would never be any injured or dead characters. for example…..

Kasmeer Meade: We’re here, Jory.
Marjory Delaqua: I know.
Kasmeer Meade: Tell us what you need.
Marjory Delaqua: I’m okay. I just need a minute. I’m sorry.
Kasmeer Meade: I understand completely.
Belinda: Why’s everyone all sad?
Marjoy Delaqua: Belinda!?! B-But, How??!?
Belinda: …waypoint?

Wildkitten.3872

But request the above by saying we have more skimpy armor than non skimpy armor is not okay. It is a lie. We actually have non skimpy heavy armor a lot more than skimpy one. But i agree realistic choice is very limited.

We must be clear to define boob plate =/= skimpy. unrealistic =/= skimpy. Most armor designs are not realistic nor skimpy currently.

I think one of the things that people seem to miss when they call things “boob plate” is that armor follows the physics outline of the character. In most games what is considered plate armor is nothing more than form fitting spandex looking, not because they wish to be titillating, as what those complaining about that type of armor seem to be insinuating, but just the limitations of the graphics used. At least in GW2 some thickness is there, but armor still needs to follow the polygons of the characters body.

My personal opinion is those who complain of “boob plate” really just seem to be hating anything that even remotely hints of a feminine form.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

The “it’s fantasy so realism would be weird” argument seems to always miss the point. If we take this logic, we could all run around naked because Arcane Shield, yay!

Why not. If Kasmeer can do that, we all can.

• Marjory Delaqua: How’d you get out of all that without a single smudge or tear on your dress?
  • Kasmeer Meade: It’s not a dress. It’s an illusion. You think I’d take my best dress into a place like that?
  • Marjory Delaqua: An illusion? You mean you’re…
  • Kasmeer Meade: Naked. Is that a problem?
  • Marjory Delaqua: Noooo. Not a problem.

While it was funny little detail that is very easy to see a Mesmer doing, I doubt Kasmeer does it all the time. Even then, in the battle for LA, Marjory makes a comment about conjuring up an Illusinary cloak to keep warm, and IIRC, Kasmeer states it doesn’t work that way.

So while she was naked, she didn’t have the protection her normal outfit would have given her (If any. Being light armor probably more through enchantments on the cloth then durability).

Have you ever seen someone in actual full plate knights armor because the fact you say they were fairly mobile suggests not. The exact opposite was true. They were very much immobile, slow, lumbering, the opposite of agile.

Enough said. Now, JOUSTING ARMOR was heavy as hell, cumbersome, and made the knight quite immobile for the most part but that was to prevent any injuries on the tournament fields.

Full plate armor was not heavy or encumbering. If it was so bad that being knocked over meant you couldn’t get up without help, the armor would NOT HAVE BEEN USED so widely. Hell, For a strong person, full plate that is fitted correctly is easier to wear then modern infantry full combat gear as I’ve read.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/aams/hd_aams.htm#weight_b

Flying debris would be the least of your worries if you were to face something like Claw of Jormag. You could be inside 1 inch thick metal armor and you would be one shot, and die quicker then someone who wasn’t so weighted down and had their joints free.

Fun Fact, Full plate armor was specifically designed and fitted so that the joints were still flexible and able to move (see above video) If a dragon steps on you, you are dead regardless. and I doubt your ‘extra’ mobility from wearing cloth, leather, light chainmail (or simply being naked) would help any compared to something as agile as Tequatl the sunless or the Claw of Jormag.

This is where I take issue with this whole debate. For a long time in MMO’s people screamed “give us a choice” and here came GW2 and in a way gave a choice. I say in a way, cause precious little armor in GW2 can truthfully be referred to as ‘skimpy’ and the full coverage armors dominate the fashion landscape yet people still complain about the skimpy armor demanding that NO ONE have the choice, thus showing that people who hate more revealing armor really wish to dictate for everyone.

I’m actually fine with revealing armor, I’ve explicitly stated I don’t mind gladiator armor at all, or armors which are themed toward groups/styles that don’t usually have full coverage gear. Pirates, Gladiators, stereotype babarians, etc. Norn revealing armor I’m not bugged by for the most part because of the culture and toughness.

I’m bugged when somebody states in lore/character that their gladiator style armor is as protective as my seraph’s full plate.

As for your comments about the Phalanx armor, thank goodness it doesn’t look like male armor. If you went by the icon and didn’t use the dressing room feature before you purchased it, then that frankly is your own fault. GW2 is one of the few games that even give some what honest representations of armor and weapons in their icons.

I haven’t bought it. Infact it’s the thing that keeps me FROM buying it as I have no male heavy armor users ATM.

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

Kalavier.1097

And if you would rather wear that when facing something with huge teeth and claws, then you would be the among the first to die, because no amount of armor would protect you. Might as well wrap yourself in Reynolds aluminum foil.

Would you rather face down a charging, kittened off Grizzly bear wearing a t-shirt and pants, or full plate armor?

Hell, you guys can have realism. In exchange:
-You now have to move at 1/2 the speed of a character in any other armor weight.
-Skills requiring extreme movement like 100blades are now verboten.
-Jump height is reduced.
-Dodge rolling will cause you to immediately enter a state of permanent knockdown that can only be cured by an ally lifting you up.
-Dry Top, Silverwastes, any Maguma zone, and Mount Maelstrom (volcano specifically) will now give a unique “heat stroke” condition that will rapidly drain HP until you leave the area.
-Entering any body of water will cause you to immediately sink to the bottom.

People want to play junior historians and cry “unrealistic design” but are totally fine with everything else not working normally.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/07/15/rspb.2011.0816

“The significant energetic cost of moving in armour is likely to have had a profound limitation on soldiers’ performance, and may have contributed to the outcome of certain battles. For example, during the Battle of Agincourt (1415), heavily armoured French knights advanced towards the English men-at-arms across terrain made extremely muddy from recent ploughing, over-night rain and an earlier French cavalry charge. Exhaustion of the French knights is cited as a contributing factor to their demise at the hands of the more lightly armoured English archers 18.”

Actually, plate armor doesn’t do all of that kitten. See my links and video.

Also, that battle, the knights got defeated because their allies TRAMPLED them into the heavy mud in the charge, and frankly if you expect anybody to quickly move and be agile in heavy mud terrain… See my links in last post.

edit: Double post because it seems to cut off my post for some reason…

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

I like most of the armor. They are reminiscent of the fantasy looks created by Boris Vallejo and Julie bell (the one shown is not as skimpy as their other fantasy works). But the 2nd pic armor would be nice to have in game. Boris Vallejo and Julie bell. Variety is the spice of life.

Attachments:

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I think one of the things that people seem to miss when they call things “boob plate” is that armor follows the physics outline of the character. In most games what is considered plate armor is nothing more than form fitting spandex looking, not because they wish to be titillating, as what those complaining about that type of armor seem to be insinuating, but just the limitations of the graphics used. At least in GW2 some thickness is there, but armor still needs to follow the polygons of the characters body.

My personal opinion is those who complain of “boob plate” really just seem to be hating anything that even remotely hints of a feminine form.

i understand what you are saying.
i am okay if someone request more realistic armor. it is their right but i am not okay if they spread lies and try to convice others that MOST armor in GW2 is skimpy.

It is also their right to tell how and why they hate most of the designs. I complain on skyrim forum how i hated their original armor designs but i also understand it is their game their art direction, who am i to request art direction change? I dont like their design but many may like them.

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

some of y’all posting your armor to prove OP wrong are…. unfortunate :/ but i still have to disagree with OP

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Hypothetically, what if they did? And you still had the existing choices and options, and they added more choices and options for things you’d like to wear. What would be wrong with that? Something for everyone?

THAC0 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

Dodge rolling will cause you to immediately enter a state of permanent knockdown that can only be cured by an ally lifting you up.

I (female) tested wearing historical fullplate armor and doing a summersault and standing up afterwards or avoiding a sword blow was totally possible. You can run with it, but it is of course a bit more tiring than without.
Yes it is a bit more difficult to do a dodge role than when you do it in a gymsuit, but it is not impossible…especially if we think of 1. the Lady Commander is probably a very muscular person, because she wouldn’t be able to safe the world as couch potato and 2. in my head a high military person like a commander obviously wears a custom-made armor that fits their body measurments.

Yes the heat in Dry Tops and Silverwaste would be a problem, but a relatively pale person like Kasmeer also should look like a lobster after around 1 hour there. because of the sun. A full covering outfit in a dark, light, tight-woven fabric would probably be the best for these zones. So no reason for a character to run around naked.

the problem I have with a invisible magic amor is that while you can see the skin, the skin is probably totally insensible from a taktile point of view.
You can easy get out of a plate amor, but i think, as warrior without magic abilities, finding someone to enchant your skin for you every morning is kind of annoying and impractical. it more likely that this is a permanent entchantment, which means this person doesn’t feel it when you hug them or carress their arm or something.
I don’t know…it kind of sad and a bit unsettling for me and doesn’t sound sexy at all.
Another posibility would be that the clothing itself is entchanted and so the commander can atleast feel something when they go to sleep after a long dragon slaying day. but then it’s the question, why the guys still all wear some kind of “skirt” to protect their crotch and butt and no G-string.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Kalavier.1097

I (female) tested wearing historical fullplate armor and doing a summersault and standing up afterwards or avoiding a sword blow was totally possible. You can run with it, but it is of course a bit more tiring than without.
Yes it is a bit more difficult to do a dodge role than when you do it in a gymsuit, but it is not impossible…especially if we think of 1. the Lady Commander is probably a very muscular person, because she wouldn’t be able to safe the world as couch potato and 2. in my head a high military person like a commander obviously wears a custom-made armor that fits their body measurments.

I remember a discussion wanting more variaty in body builds for players (I think some edged toward the unfit/larger side)… I simply responded that while such options are okay, most likely all adventurers will be fit in even a basic sense. You don’t get to run and jump and fight all the time while being overweight. :P

Yes the heat in Dry Tops and Silverwaste would be a problem, but a relatively pale person like Kasmeer also should look like a lobster after around 1 hour there. because of the sun. A full covering outfit in a dark, light, tight-woven fabric would probably be the best for these zones. So no reason for a character to run around naked.

Another reason. Pockets. :P

the problem I have with a invisible magic amor is that while you can see the skin, the skin is probably totally insensible from a taktile point of view.
You can easy get out of a plate amor, but i think, as warrior without magic abilities, finding someone to enchant your skin for you every morning is kind of annoying and impractical. it more likely that this is a permanent entchantment, which means this person doesn’t feel it when you hug them or carress their arm or something.
I don’t know…it kind of sad and a bit unsettling for me and doesn’t sound sexy at all.
Another posibility would be that the clothing itself is entchanted and so the commander can atleast feel something when they go to sleep after a long dragon slaying day. but then it’s the question, why the guys still all wear some kind of “skirt” to protect their crotch and butt and no G-string.

I’d wager armor with magical enchantments have it on all the time.

I personally see the armor types as being how enchanted/modified it is (excluding added runes). Exotic armor simply have more bonuses fused on.

Wildkitten.3872

@ Kalavier

No one said anything about JOUSTING armor. The link I provided, had you cared to read it, was about plate armor worn on the battlefield. It was heavy, over 100 pounds. You and others try to make it sound as if that is insignificant to agility but it isn’t.

And given the choice of full metal plate or a tee and shorts facing a bear, give me the tee and shorts any day. I would need agility to run and the plate armor would not protect against those claws and teeth given the force a bear can bite with. One of the ways plate armor protected someone was range attacks, primarily arrows, could be deflected from the curve surface, something that is negated at close range.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Loki.4871

Loki.4871

THAC0 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God I feel old, I get that…

Flogging a skeleton here but to heck with it, I’ve read this thread so I may as well add to the pile.

Wearing something that’s for titillation rather than protection really doesn’t matter in this sort of context. Especially when there’s perfectly practical/functional heavy armours. Look up ‘Samantha Swords’ (not her real name obviously.) She won the world duelling tournament (longsword catagory) and her armour does/did have boob plate, so it’s even not that far fetched in real life, let alone in guildwars 2.

Chain/plate bikinis don’t matter for a very boring reason; this is a fantasy game. Your characters never sleep, eat, drink, go to the toilet, can fight at 100% all day every day, dive around in very heavy armour as easily as in clothes or naked, jump heights a normal human would at best find difficult-before you put on a few dozen kg’s of metal-fall from heights that should kill them and get up without a scratch, fire lightning out their bottom, create zombie-rat things with human skulls, get stomped, squashed, slashed, stabbed, spiked, poisoned, set on fire, frozen solid, eaten, bludgeoned, acid spat on them, die and pop up back to life and they’re perfectly fine. Finally, spoiler alert, men are physically superiour to women for running around in armour and hitting things-like for like, a man will always be able to become stronger than a woman can be. Arguing otherwise is like arguing a man can become pregnant. So if we’re really complaining about lack of realism and plausibility the female characters should do less damage with non-firearm and non magical weapons too.

Just… don’t bother trying to bring realism into this sort of argument for goodness’ sake. Please.

Kalavier.1097

@ Kalavier

No one said anything about JOUSTING armor. The link I provided, had you cared to read it, was about plate armor worn on the battlefield. It was heavy, over 100 pounds. You and others try to make it sound as if that is insignificant to agility but it isn’t.

And given the choice of full metal plate or a tee and shorts facing a bear, give me the tee and shorts any day. I would need agility to run and the plate armor would not protect against those claws and teeth given the force a bear can bite with. One of the ways plate armor protected someone was range attacks, primarily arrows, could be deflected from the curve surface, something that is negated at close range.

Did you even watch the video I linked? Or the article talking about many ‘myths’ of plate armor?

“Specialized jousting armour produced in the late 15th to 16th century was heavier, and could weigh as much kitten kg (100 pounds), as it was not intended for free combat, it did not need to permit free movement, the only limiting factor being the maximum weight that could be carried by a warhorse of the period.”

Jousting armor ^ Regular plate armor V

“A complete suit of plate armour made from well-tempered steel would weigh around 15–25 kg(33-55 pounds).2 The wearer remained highly agile and could jump, run and otherwise move freely as the weight of the armor was spread evenly throughout the body. The armour was articulated and covered a man’s entire body completely from neck to toe. In the 15th and 16th centuries, large bodies of men-at-arms numbering thousands or even more than ten thousand men (as many as 60% of an army) were fighting on foot wearing full plate next to archers and crossbowmen. "
“Plate armour was virtually invulnerable to sword slashes. It also protected the wearer well against spear or pike thrusts and provided decent defense against blunt trauma.

The evolution of plate armour also triggered developments in the design of offensive weapons. While this armour was effective against cuts or blows, their weak points could be exploited by long tapered swords or other weapons designed for the purpose, such as pollaxes and halberds. The effect of arrows and bolts is still a point of contention in regards to plate armour. Longbows and crossbows could also pierce plate armour up to ranges of 200 metres (660 ft) with a lucky shot"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_armour#Late_Middle_Ages

I’m sorry, but where is this proof that plate armor is SO RESTRICTIVE?

Fairly sure the bear would have more trouble getting through plate armor then outrunning and killing you in your t-shirt and jeans. Considering how searching in google for “Can a human outrun a bear.” instantly fills first page with “DON’T TRY IT, YOU WILL FAIL.”

There are cases where mobility is legitly a good thing to have over protection. And others where that armor can help more then being agile.

Oreithyia.3064

@ Kalavier

Well it depends, the one I was wearing was around ~30 kg, it’s heavy but you get used to it. You’ve got to household with your energy, but you also have to do that with just wearing a bikini. Running around the whole day without sleep is generally not very fitting for a warrior. but you’re right, If I were the Lady Commander having strategically placed metal armor parts+ chainmail or scale armor ould probably more my choice than full plate armor.
the problem is, that these kind of armor are made for fights without firearms. It’s not so useful as a protection against firearms and in such a fight would just slow you down.
So as a warrior you’ve got to pick your fights.

Also…I generally would prefer to not fight with a bear in any kind of protection…I think I’d be too slow to outrun a bear with or without a protective armor…they can be pretty fast, if they want to.

Red Queen.7915

@ Kalavier

Well it depends, the one I was wearing was around ~30 kg, it’s heavy but you get used to it. You’ve got to household with your energy, but you also have to do that with just wearing a bikini. Running around the whole day without sleep is generally not very fitting for a warrior. but you’re right, If I were the Lady Commander having strategically placed metal armor parts+ chainmail or scale armor ould probably more my choice than full plate armor.
the problem is, that these kind of armor are made for fights without firearms. It’s not so useful as a protection against firearms and in such a fight would just slow you down.
So as a warrior you’ve got to pick your fights.

Also…I generally would prefer to not fight with a bear in any kind of protection…I think I’d be too slow to outrun a bear with or without a protective armor…they can be pretty fast, if they want to.

Firearms came about when plate armour was still widely used, and thesy coexisted for a few centuries. Early firearms didn’t have the punch to get through plate armour, and when the guns got better, so did the armour. Armour smiths sometimes shot guns at the pieces to show how good they were. I mentioned it before somewhere in this thread, but the GW2 books suggest that GW2 guns are like early real-world firearms – slow to reload, not very powerful and not used as a main weapon. Game mechanics make it seem different, but lore and common sense would pretty much agree that it’s not impossible or illogical to have guns and plate armour in the same game.

Wildkitten, you keep insisting we stop “spreading lies” about there being so much skimpy armour in the game (while ignoring that one person’s definition of skimpy can be different from the next person’s, which doesn’t make anyone’s way of counting a lie). So please educate yourself, you have been provided with sources, and stop spreading misinformation about heavy armour.

I’m also a bit wary of that study someone linked that appeared to “prove” your point. They seemed to use the heaviest armour they could find, the only thing they studied was walking and running in armour, not actual fights (in fact, they don’t say much about how the conclusions relate to an armour wearer’s fighting ability except one battle with a rather debatable reason for its outcome), their conclusions contain an awful lot of phrasings like “it suggests” and “it might have”, they refer to the 15th century as medieval, and they talk about “medieval soldiers”, suggesting the entire army was wearing heavy plate armour, when that was not the case (not the way we imagine it was, anyway). So yeah, not something I’d use to prove statements like “armour made you lumbering and almost immobile and a struggling turtle when you fell over”. Especially since that apparently wasn’t even tested.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Oreithyia.3064

Firearms came about when plate armour was still widely used, and thesy coexisted for a few centuries. Early firearms didn’t have the punch to get through plate armour, and when the guns got better, so did the armour. Armour smiths sometimes shot guns at the pieces to show how good they were. I mentioned it before somewhere in this thread, but the GW2 books suggest that GW2 guns are like early real-world firearms – slow to reload, not very powerful and not used as a main weapon. Game mechanics make it seem different, but lore and common sense would pretty much agree that it’s not impossible or illogical to have guns and plate armour in the same game.

oh good to know.
I knew they were around the same time but i think I read somewhere that with the firearms getting more precise and the body parts you’d shoot on getting more specificated (mainly the head?) the armor got less because it was as usueful for protection anymore. But I have to say, I never was big pro when it comes to shooting arms.
If the projectiles are not concentrated on specific body parts and the weapon is not not overly precise in its use, it of course makes sense to protect the whole body.7

nontheless, I think A.net did a good job with giving the player a choice,
Game designer are not historians, so it’s okay when some things are not completely logical.
I actually like some of the spiky shoulder pieces for example, because they look badkitten on female and male characters alike. nothing says “I’m a ridiculously muscular Norn” more than gigantic illogical spiky shoulder pieces.
I just wish we had more sexualised (not necessarily naked ot skimpy… only a little bit more sexy) armor for the guys. like tight pants without hips enhancing skirts or capes for example.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Posted by: Ellewind.9640

Ellewind.9640

I’m from the most imaginative and unrealistic armors in game design, skimpy? why not! sexys? Course! Feminine? Hell yeah! play Gw2 from week one and i’m so tired and bored about the heavy armors. So….

Attachments:

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

I’m from the most imaginative and unrealistic armors in game design, skimpy? why not! sexys? Course! Feminine? Hell yeah! play Gw2 from week one and i’m so tired and bored about the heavy armors. So….

I like those armors. Especially that middle one. I’d buy that in an instant!

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

Oreithyia.3064

I like those armors. Especially that middle one. I’d buy that in an instant!

I’d like to have the one in the middle for a guy please… just without the skirt.
I’d totally make a norn guy for that.