BETA!!

BETA!!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ruddog.9563

ruddog.9563

i also got an invite i am so excited to stress test the heart of thorns !!!!!

BETA!!

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Why in the world would you read the process has anything to do with how many gems are purchased???? Just… wow.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

BETA!!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Congratulations! As one of our most loyal players, we value your feedback. We want to invite you to join us on March 24 to stress test Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™* and find out what you think.

“As one of our most loyal players, we value your feedback”
So instead of giving beta access to those who would spend the time doing actual testing, it turned out to be a better idea to just let the beta keys be a pay-to-win subject? That encourages everyone to buy gems to access the beta or just write nice things on the forums to attract attention…

Beta testers should be chosen from a gameplay point of view, nothing else. It would also be great if the sign-up worked as intended instead of never registering for every other player.

And where did you get the notion that it’s pay to win? Did someone, anyone at all pay for a key? Were any chosen on the basis of buying gems? No, earlier in the thread someone was complaining because they did buy lots of gems and weren’t chosen. There is one person chosen who has an account that has a forum ban, from another thread, so it’s not based on saying nice things on the forum either,

Complaints like these are not based on any sort of truth and have the stink of sour grapes around them.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

BETA!!

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

Congratulations! As one of our most loyal players, we value your feedback. We want to invite you to join us on March 24 to stress test Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™* and find out what you think.

So instead of giving beta access to those who would spend the time doing actual testing, it turned out to be a better idea to just let the beta keys be a pay-to-win subject? That encourages everyone to buy gems to access the beta or just write nice things on the forums to attract attention…

Beta testers should be chosen from a gameplay point of view, nothing else. It would also be great if the sign-up worked as intended instead of never registering for every other player.

And where did you get the notion that it’s pay to win? Did someone, anyone at all pay for a key? Were any chosen on the basis of buying gems? No, earlier in the thread someone was complaining because they did buy lots of gems and weren’t chosen. There is one person chosen who has an account that has a forum ban, from another thread, so it’s not based on saying nice things on the forum either,

Complaints like these are not based on any sort of truth and have the stink of sour grapes around them.

Can confirm, have spent lots of money still no key. Most likely was completely random, could have just used a better choice of words for the email going out. On the bright side with demo’s happening this is looking like a before September release of the expansion.

BETA!!

Posted by: eYe.7483

eYe.7483

I think if you happen to be one of those chosen it’s not really an honor but more a responsibility as well as an opportunity to help this game and gaming community. This provides you not only with an early look at the new addition but the chance to provide useful input to the Devs before it goes live. If you can participate please do so.

(edited by eYe.7483)

BETA!!

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

After not getting an invite with the first round, I went back to the newsletter sign up and signed up again, just in case. Maybe you should do the same? Oddly enough, I also spent $35 on gems last night, hehe. But I do not believe it has anything to do with gem purchases, forum posting, bug reporting, hours played, or any number of things mentioned. It’s just randomly chosen accounts.

BETA!!

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Looks in bag…

Attachments:

BETA!!

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

For those asking about the newsletter sign-up: if you had previously signed up to receive the GW2 newsletter, then you are already considered signed up for the GW2: HoT newsletter, which would explain why you can’t sign up again…because you already receive the newsletter from NCSoft(it’s the same newsletter).

Also, this is a stress test, which is usually to check the server load for the new content, nothing that big to worry about, but they do appreciate all those that can participate. I’d not expect them to be looking for bug reports or other discrepancies, however, they will want feedback on what you experienced and your opinions, that was how it was in the original GW2 closed beta stress tests, for those that remember.

The wording in the e-mail, several have already said it, but I’m going to bold and capitalize the important part, since everyone seems to be ignoring it: “AS ONE of our most loyal players,…” , in case you’ve forgotten your English lessons, in this context, it means one of many, so there should be no reason to be disappointed about not being included this round. Just how many people out of a million or so do you think they’re going to invite to the first few stress tests?

BETA!!

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Also, this is a stress test

It was successful.

BETA!!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I think you expressed this very well, Pandaman, and thank you. It truly was not “every loyal player into the test” but just “We’ve inviting a few loyal players” with the knowledge that this is a brief stress test and there will be other opportunities in the future!

Just a brief question will there be a (more polished) survey system, similar (but hopefully improved) to the one used during the beta tests from before launch?

I really hope so the feedback could be very helpful.

I initially believed “this is a stress test” and I wasn’t sure and remain unsure if there will be a survey or a means of providing feedback. However, the invitation mentions “feedback” so I guess I’ll have to ask about this on Monday. I’m sure testers will be given information on this.

I got in!

And then I saw the hours. I am at work during both stress tests. Major Bummer.

Will not attending this stress test disqualify me from being invited to future ones?

No I don’t think so. Some people won’t be able to participate and we do understand that.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

BETA!!

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

No clue what everybody is getting so amped for, it says very clearly STRESS TEST, this is not a gameplay test, so brace for massive lagging and such as they are trying to burn in their servers for the games release. The open beta is where the actual gameplay will be held. So you will get your chance.

I got one as well.

BETA!!

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Gratz everyone! My email address for this account is an old one I can’t access any more, so I’ll never know if I got an invite or not LOL…like Shroedinger’s cat XD

Have fun Tuesday guys!

BETA!!

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

Super excited!!~ Best luck to everyone involved with this test and any future beta testing for HoT; let’s do our best to have fun and provide feedback to help the developers make HoT a super amazingly awesome expansion!

Golden shackles are still golden.

BETA!!

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I was lucky enough to get an invite, but cannot play right now due to the continuing FPS/UI issue since patch. I’m really hoping it gets fixed before then

BETA!!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Gratz everyone! My email address for this account is an old one I can’t access any more, so I’ll never know if I got an invite or not LOL…like Shroedinger’s cat XD

Have fun Tuesday guys!

Since acceptance isn’t required, you can always just try it on that time Tuesday.

“When the test starts, log in to your invited account.
Click the Create Beta Character button.
Create a new human character. (All professions will be available, including the new revenant profession.)

You might want to go ahead and contact support to change your email to one you do have access to. You never know when this might be useful and it can take days for a ticket to process.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

BETA!!

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

its funny how good people claim the gw2 community is and 1 thing like this happens and peoples true colors start to show.

What people don’t understand is people who got email invites arent more loyal than you per say, they just got the luck of the draw and won invitations to the close beta, people make assumptions and make simple things into such negative topics.

I got an invitation myself and am very happy, i won’t say i’m the most loyal or anything but here i my stats:
I have played gw1 from 2005-2011, got my GWAMM title and 50/50 HOM.
Played GW2 since beta, 7200+ hrs played(dont afk-i go offline—-i got no life), never used any 3rd party gold websites, but have bought gems around $1000 from the gemstore for bank tabs,bag slots, extra character slots, black lion skins and transmutation stones, and other account bound quality of life merchandise.
2 1/2 yrs late, 24.5k AP, 5 legendaries, saved up for all of them, 1 every 5-6 months(my pride to never use gems to make legendaries).

So yes i am pretty loyal but it doesnt make others less qualified than me about getting invitations to the closed beta, frankly i wasn’t expecting to win since my RNG in game is so bad to begin with, still no precursor drops, i’m indeed happy to get invited and am excited but i hope people stop hating on others or on anet for not getting invited. We will all play the game when it comes out in the next few months anyway.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

(edited by J envy.5270)

BETA!!

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

its funny how good people claim the gw2 community is and 1 thing like this happens and peoples true colors start to show.

Likewise, the sign up for beta letter went out to many many players and you simply entered a ballot to enter the closed beta. Of all the loyal players, some get selected for CBT, there’s nothing more to it.

I consider myself a loyal player, gw1 and gw2 since betas, sunk several hundred Euros in gemstore and played the game for many many hours. Not selected for beta and neither feeling kitten i didn’t.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

BETA!!

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

The email sent out to players was a poor choice of words on Arena Nets’ part. Honestly, they should invite all of the players who bought the game when it was released (pre-order, etc.) It seems a lot of players who buy gems, contribute to the game in many ways and people who spend time playing the game and supporting it since day 1 have not gotten in. I’m pretty sure that’s not the proper way to run a company. If you say it’s randomly selected then freaking revise your statement and take out the whole “loyal” thing. It’s not even about the beta that gets to me its the fact that YOUR choice of words really upset a lot of people who actually freaking support the game and are the true “Loyal players”.

/2cents.

BETA!!

Posted by: DBZVelena.5186

DBZVelena.5186

I’m sad i was not invited for this first test, but since i had my chance the last time gw2 had a closed beta test. I consider it as now it being somebody else’s turn to beta test.
I’m sure we’ll eventually all get to test it, those servers have to be tested at full capasity eventually before launch. Just like last time.
All it means is we, who did not get this first invite, have to wait for the next test.

Proud Medic of the Splinter Warband. PM me to know more.

BETA!!

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

For those asking about the newsletter sign-up: if you had previously signed up to receive the GW2 newsletter, then you are already considered signed up for the GW2: HoT newsletter, which would explain why you can’t sign up again…because you already receive the newsletter from NCSoft(it’s the same newsletter).

Also, this is a stress test, which is usually to check the server load for the new content, nothing that big to worry about, but they do appreciate all those that can participate. I’d not expect them to be looking for bug reports or other discrepancies, however, they will want feedback on what you experienced and your opinions, that was how it was in the original GW2 closed beta stress tests, for those that remember.

The wording in the e-mail, several have already said it, but I’m going to bold and capitalize the important part, since everyone seems to be ignoring it: “AS ONE of our most loyal players,…” , in case you’ve forgotten your English lessons, in this context, it means one of many, so there should be no reason to be disappointed about not being included this round. Just how many people out of a million or so do you think they’re going to invite to the first few stress tests?

And what they mean by “ONE OF THE MOST LOYAL PLAYERS” including people who haven’t even spend more than 500 hours in this game. So basically Anet thinks all players are loyal as long as they have an account, so the lottery is including almost all accounts.

I initially interpreted it as the most loyal players were invited to stress test and you are one of them. So I overreacted and I do apologise for that.

For Aomine, I reread Gailles posts and the blog post on the subject, and they haven’t just chosen “loyal” players but all players who have signed up to the newsletter. So there were 2 pools of players from which they chose the stress testers if I understood correctly.

(edited by tim.1280)

BETA!!

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

I’m the only one from among my active guildmates who did not get an invite, that’s why I think there may have been an error or not all emails were sent out.

If you think the email got lost, just log in during the time the beta runs and if you see a “create beta character” button, you are in. :-)

Greetings.

BETA!!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Reminder: Check your spam folders.

I didn’t think I got in because I didn’t see the email when everyone else got theirs. Turns out Yahoo had “helpfully” designated the mailing list emails spam and shifted them to a folder I almost never check.

Turns out I am in.

Annoyingly I’ll be about 10 minutes late to the first test, and won’t be able to play the second thanks to living in Europe. Maybe 10 years ago playing until 2am and then getting up at 7am for work would have seemed totally reasonable, but I just can’t do it these days. But I’ll do what I can and keep my fingers crossed for future tests.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

BETA!!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Yeah i saw the time for the second test and being in the UK groaned a little.

Then i realised i just handed my notice in…so i actually dont have to care if i fall asleep at my desk in the morning lol

I wouldnt normally enter a beta, but i need to see how my pc might handle some of the effects. Right now smoke effects in dry top and frostgorge dredge tunnels make playing very hard. This will help decide whether i upgrade the pc this year or not.

BETA!!

Posted by: strega.5034

strega.5034

bummer, well maybe next round sigh

BETA!!

Posted by: Mystflower.7319

Mystflower.7319

happy dance I’m invited as well!! Thank you!

Proud to be a Woman!

(edited by Mystflower.7319)

BETA!!

Posted by: Flakkenmarsh.6573

Flakkenmarsh.6573

I was wondering whether selection could have had something to do with number of bug-reports filed. That would make a bit sense, wouldn’kitten Either way, I’m happy!

…even though the second “session” is from 02h00 – 04h00 for me. I’d gladly give up those two hours of sleep!

BETA!!

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Can’t wait!

Attachments:

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

BETA!!

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Does that beta test include the new WvW map and PvP map?

BETA!!

Posted by: BooHud.2681

BooHud.2681

Yes, it’s called a draw. You were all in it. Some got their name drawn, some did not. Nothing to be upset over. Personally, I will have to work extra hours the day before and the day after the scheduled test just to make the 5-7 PST time slot. Happens to be the busiest time of year for me at work. However, this will be my first opportunity to do something like this, so I want to make the time. I actually feel there will be lots of problems and the two hour window will not feel like much time at all. It’s a stress test, after all, not a full on “hey we got this polished awesome new game for you please play and have fun” kind of test. We can’t keep what we get, we can’t keep the characters. We will be no better off than anyone else after the test is done.

So happy you and Ozzy get to do this – I’m sure you will have a fantastic adventure this week! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

BETA!!

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Also, this is a stress test

It was successful.

I almost spit soda all over my keyboard lolol.

Hopefully I’ll get into the next stress test. Congrats to all who got in, even the “less-loyal ones”.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

BETA!!

ozmaniandevil.6805

Yes, it’s called a draw. You were all in it. Some got their name drawn, some did not. Nothing to be upset over. Personally, I will have to work extra hours the day before and the day after the scheduled test just to make the 5-7 PST time slot. Happens to be the busiest time of year for me at work. However, this will be my first opportunity to do something like this, so I want to make the time. I actually feel there will be lots of problems and the two hour window will not feel like much time at all. It’s a stress test, after all, not a full on “hey we got this polished awesome new game for you please play and have fun” kind of test. We can’t keep what we get, we can’t keep the characters. We will be no better off than anyone else after the test is done.

So happy you and Ozzy get to do this – I’m sure you will have a fantastic adventure this week! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Thanks Booduh!

BETA!!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

have fun to all those invited, I’ve not had one this time, but maybe next time.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

BETA!!

Posted by: Riku.4821

Riku.4821

I wish I got into the beta. ;P

Guild Leader of Lunar Tree[LT].
Officer of Power Overwhelming[ZERK].
First term Forum PvE Specialist.

BETA!!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Why in the world would you read the process has anything to do with how many gems are purchased???? Just… wow.

The idea that gem purchase has anything to do with the selection process is just conspiracy theory to the Nth degree.

I’ve purchase WAY more gems than I care to admit and I didn’t get an invite (so your theory is bunk….tho some part of me wishes it wasn’t).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

BETA!!

Posted by: Frost.2908

Frost.2908

I think the whole selection process was completely random judging by all my friends that got in. I just think that anet should of been a bit more selective of the people who they chose to test.

Sure I didn’t get an invite, and I’ve yet to receive an invite to any form of beta testing from Guild Wars in my 10 years of playing…. and yet alot of people who do not play the game currently or did not sign up for this newsletter still got in.

I’m pretty sure they auto invite previous testers first and then fill the rest of the slots with others regardless of whether they play they game or expressed any interest in it. So for those who are salty about not getting into these beta tests, try playing 10 years since GW1, logging in daily with no “play breaks” and still not getting in!

BETA!!

Posted by: Kry.1697

Kry.1697

As a few already have said, congratulations to all of you who got in. Now make sure you break things properly and not only sit making your character for 2 hours.

=D

BETA!!

Posted by: iFocus.3781

iFocus.3781

The 24th is my birthday… and I wasn’t invited :’C

BETA!!

Posted by: Cakemeister.5792

Cakemeister.5792

Have they answered why the beta is human-only?

Looking forward to tomorrow.

BETA!!

ozmaniandevil.6805

I don’t understand why ANet “should have been more selective” in who got picked for this stress test. As I understand it, the purpose is to tax the system. It doesn’t require that I have specialized knowledge of GW lore or am a dungeon runner or a PvPer. I think my job is simply to log in and play around and report any errors I happen to see, but I also expect lots of lag, DCs, etc. That doesn’t require any special skill does it? We are all special snowflakes…. meaning none of us are special. We don’t need to be.

BETA!!

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I want to know if I need to have a free character slot to participate….I don’t have a free slot.

BETA!!

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

To the peeps doing the stress test on Tuesday: Does anyone know how its going to go down. Will a waypoint in the Verdant brink map just pop up? Will we need to log out then log back in to see said waypoint? The email I got didnt really have any details other than to show up between 5pm to 7pm pacific time. Also do I need an empty character slot to roll my revy?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

BETA!!

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

It is unlikely that they will make you buy a character slot for a beta test. It’s tomorrow; just be patient. I’m sure starting beta will be a very simple process for players to figure out.

BETA!!

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

BETA!!

Savoy.6824

@Zelanard I read that thread. Sadly there are no details about how to actually access the HoT updates. Not a single detail other than what the email already told us. Just a bunch of qq and debates about what a loyal player is (this was clearly a random selection by the way). So I started this thread which will hopefully contain details about how to be a beta tester.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

BETA!!

Posted by: DeamonSamurai.6504

DeamonSamurai.6504

Yea baby gots mine too, time to wear this thing out and get it right..

Attachments:

BETA!!

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

I hope your internet breaks….no just kidding I’m just mad jelly enjoy and put a bunch of stuff on YouTube!

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

BETA!!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

@Zelanard I read that thread. Sadly there are no details about how to actually access the HoT updates. Not a single detail other than what the email already told us. Just a bunch of qq and debates about what a loyal player is (this was clearly a random selection by the way). So I started this thread which will hopefully contain details about how to be a beta tester.

Here are the instructions. I imagine if you follow them you won’t have any problems participating:

To participate in this test:

Prior to the start of the test, make sure your Guild Wars 2 software is up-to-date. You don’t need additional software; you’ll be using the same copy of the game to participate in this test that you use to play every day.

When the test starts, log in to your invited account.

Click the Create Beta Character button.

Create a new human character. (All professions will be available, including the new revenant profession.)

Please note that your beta activity—including character development, account-based development, and spent currencies—won’t impact your live Guild Wars 2 account. Your beta progress will be saved for the duration of the stress test, but all beta characters and beta account progress may be deleted at the end of the test period.

If you follow the instructions in bold you should be well on your way to beta testing.

The Burninator

BETA!!

Savoy.6824

@JustTrogdor, what if Im already playing the game? Do I need to log out and log back in? Will said new character be lvl 80 automatically? If I go to the heart of the mist and pvp, will stronghold be an option in my list of maps when Im done queing?

I guess, Ive just never seen the Create Beta Character button. Im guessing it will be somewhere on the character select screen.

(edited by Savoy.6824)

BETA!!

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

For me it’s quite logic how to play the stress test tomorrow. And this is my first beta test ever. Maybe NPE needs a little adjusting?

BETA!!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It seems if you needed an empty character slot they would have included that in the directions. Also it would not make sense to require one as many people don’t have free slots. So I think it is safe to assume you don’t need one.

Again, when the test starts the instructions say to log into your account. So, if you are concerned, log out before the test starts then log in during the test times.

I would assume that the beta character is the only one that can access it givin the instructions: Click the Create Beta Character button.

As for your other questions I think you will only know what is available during the beta test by logging in and joining the beta test. I think you are making this far more complicated than it needs to be. Just follow the instructions given and find out the rest once you join the test.

The Burninator