(Bad) Luck Accounts

(Bad) Luck Accounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phantis.4815

Phantis.4815

Hey. I’m starting to get the feeling that there are lucky and not so lucky accounts. For One month now me and my guild go regular on Edge of the Mists to go farming – not Championbags but enemys. We make around 300 up to 1k kills at one evening. The most of my Guildmates get in every of this evenings at least 10 but up to 20 rare items. Others (like me) are getting mostly not even one and with much luck 1 or 2. And this has nothing to do with MF. Some with under 100% MF are the lucky ones and others with 200+% MF get nothing. And it has nothing to do with the damage done to the enemies (we get the same amount of kills (we can see this in the wvw-kill-archivement))

sorry for my english

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

It is all dependent on the type of random number generator they are using and although they were going to have a CDI discussion on it they have never stated the type of rng. If it uses a “fixed” seed then it is highly possible to see results like you detail above. Just look up fixed seed random number generators for an explanation but in essence that type of generator will repeat patterns after a given number of returns. So if your “seed” number returns you one set of numbers before they start repeating and your friends “seed” number returns a different set he could very well get better loot then you and it has nothing to do with luck.

Theftwind (HoD)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Hey. I’m starting to get the feeling that there are lucky and not so lucky accounts. For One month now me and my guild go regular on Edge of the Mists to go farming – not Championbags but enemys. We make around 300 up to 1k kills at one evening. The most of my Guildmates get in every of this evenings at least 10 but up to 20 rare items. Others (like me) are getting mostly not even one and with much luck 1 or 2. And this has nothing to do with MF. Some with under 100% MF are the lucky ones and others with 200+% MF get nothing. And it has nothing to do with the damage done to the enemies (we get the same amount of kills (we can see this in the wvw-kill-archivement))

I can’t prove it, but my norn female elementalist has always seemed to be the luckiest character in my stable, followed (feels like significantly) by my asura engineer and my asura ele in close 3rd.

Never really said anything because I knew there’d be the typical response of “RNG is RNG”.

Interesting side-note: Asheron’s Call had a bug for aeons where the RNG of who got initial aggro was in fact character-centric. After significant argument among players and between players and devs, it was eventually proven to be not-so-random.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

Sometimes I feel that too…I should have much better luck trying the Lotto than get something useful in-game…But this won’t be changed,no way yet to change or introduce randomness into games without some kind of systems or calculations…BUT it can be improved…Someone get a precursor,got a second one, got the third and weapon boxes and many rares… …NOW GTFO and let the others to get some too please…you understand what I mean :-)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

Two things:

Your brain is designed to see patterns. It wants to see patterns everywhere, so it will see patterns, even when there aren’t any. People attribute it to luck or bad luck or whatever, but it’s really just random events that seem like they’re happening in a non-random way. For instance they’ve done studies where they’ve taken people who felt they were unlucky and lucky and had them play games of chance. The people who thought they were lucky didn’t win any more than the people who felt they were unlucky, but they interpreted their experience as being lucky because that was their expectation. Once you’ve seen a pattern, it’s very difficult to unsee.

What people often want, when they complain about bad luck/good luck accounts, isn’t something that’s truly random. They want something they feel is fair. Randomness isn’t particularly fair; some people will get several precursors, and some people will never see any. In real life there are people who win the lottery multiple times, whereas a vast majority never come close. Across very large numbers, trends will appear related to the percentage chance of drops, but an individual’s experience is on such a small scale it would be hard to see. The problem is our brains refuse to believe it, we trust what we see and experience. For instance, if you flip a coin fifty times and it comes up heads every time, the next flip of the coin is still 50/50, even though intuitively we feel like there should be an increased chance of tails. After all tails is due. Eventually tails will come up, but the chance on any individual flip will always be 50/50, and those trends will become more clear the more times you flip the coin.

What people often want is not a truly random system, but a more equitable system. For instance, an equitable system sometimes suggested is if you throw in a thousand gold swords into the mystic forge you’re guaranteed to get a precursor, or if you get a precursor early on then you won’t get one immediately after. It’s important to note that isn’t random, that’s a system intervening to prevent random events. Many would probably like it better, though, because in a truly random system, there are absolutely no guarantees. You could throw ten thousand items into the mystic forge and come up empty handed, while someone else could throw in only a hundred and gets two precursors back. That’s the essence of a truly random system.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Considering that I can count the number of exotics that I’ve gotten in two years of play on my fingers, I do believe that some accounts are simply “unlucky.” I’m always surprised when people complain about their bad drops. I find myself wishing my drops were at least as bad as theirs. One of the growing reasons that I am getting quite weary of this game.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

Sad and nothing to do about.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I can no longer express how utterly disappointed I am with this game. It’s a real shame.

I guess I can say that playing this game lately feels like one slap in the face after another. I’ve found myself becoming more and more hostile to it, and I don’t like that.

(edited by DaShi.1368)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I maybe get three exotics a month if I play a lot. Rares are quite ok, I get around 4 to ten in a week.
I never got an ascended armor box in the fractals, while a buddy of mine got two or three. My friends and I play the game since the Beta and no one of us ever got a precursor.

So far I’d like to get a different rng running too.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I’ve always been on the ‘bad luck’ side in this game. I understand RNG and don’t deny I couldn’t prove a single thing. However when the whole “loot debacle” began long ago I certainly tried to be helpful with data. (My tinfoil hat lies crumpled somewhere around here.) I kept and still keep all dropped exotics in the bank. I can almost fill a tab with them now.
I’ve also noted strange patterns when rares do drop. They will often duplicate within a few minutes of one another. So basically I’ll go a day or so with no rares and then within a few minutes I’ll get two items that are exactly the same. I have only had this happen once with exotics. If we were working with a system that was close to true random, the odds of this happening would be huge. The odds of it happening on multiple occasions even larger. (Believe me if it happened every time I’d never complain about being unlucky but getting rares in duplicates once or twice a week is not that great).
Streak breaker code could possibly be implemented as an “equalizer”. However I have no idea how complex Anet’s system is and whether or not there is even hope that it could be implemented.
DaShi you are not alone. If I played this game for the “feels” one gets when receiving a great loot drop I probably would have walked away after the first year. Lucky for me I get enjoyment out of other things in-game. When it comes to loot though this game can be highly frustrating for some of the less lucky players.

Luckiest drop ever = 1 Fused weapon ticket from a key I got in alt char personal story. Maybe I should try key farming instead.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

I am in the same boat as others here, since head-start have had bad RNG. Went several months with no WvW bonuses due to bugged accounts. Then after months of complaining about Permanent Diminished Returns and ANet calling all of us conspiracy theorists, they finally found an ERROR in their code. Which they said they fixed, however, I still get far less drops than others. Players are always talking about getting 3-5 exotics drops a day… After about a month I just received an exotic drop in WvW. I was soooo excited to see that Orange name popup in my drop list in right side of screen. So I immediately went in to inventory… Level 76 Rampagers Mace, FML and this RNG. At the very least I would like something other than “Truth”, “Guild Defender”, “Trosas’ Shortbow”, “Exterminator”, but alas those are all I really have gotten over almost 2 years of play now.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

No matter what anyone says, there are for certain blessed and cursed accounts. I have a cursed one.

Saying it’s RNG is a cop out. If it was random it wouldn’t be so consistent now would it?

(edited by Paul.4081)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Pictures.8954

Pictures.8954

You can add me to that cursed accounts list. Head start and everything with way too many hours played. I am lucky if I get an exotic drop at all in a month. It takes me like 40 tries on the mystic forge to get an exotic of any kind. No drops beyond greens and maybe a rare if I’m lucky in farming sessions of 2 hours+. Guildies continuously get exotics or precursors and they started 2 months after head start. With over 4k hours played, I don’t think it’s crazy to say that this account is indeed cursed.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

We know for a fact that some accounts can get “cursed”. The RNG generator has proven that previously with a very known glitch that bring the issue to the surface – unable to get anything but bronze and silver in events that you solo from beginning to end while other characters get gold by accidentally doing a couple thousand damage to a mob before the event ends. It’s happened to peeps in my guild and was only resolved when Anet did something to their accounts.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

yep my acc is bad luck riddened too

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Could it possibly be that certain infamous phrase by “them” – “working as intended”?

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

ITT: people that do not understand how RNG and probability works (again).

Do an experiment – assume some chance of getting a prec out of forging/drop/whatever. Assume a large number of tries – (1000 forges, for example). Start crunching numbers for 0 precursors chance, 1 prec chance, 2 precs, 3, 4, 5…. Then compare that to GW2 population numbers.
After you see the results, i bet your outlook on cursed/lucky accounts will change radically.

I maybe get three exotics a month if I play a lot. Rares are quite ok, I get around 4 to ten in a week.

Here is another problem. I get more rares daily just out of guaranteed (no rng involved) drops. It’s not surprising, that people that buy more tickets end up with better chance at winning something in the lottery. Lot of people seem to forget about this aspect as well, however, and somehow assume that people that get large number of good drops get them due to some “luck” shenanigans, and not simply because they play in a way that offers them way more chances for those drops.

Basically, the difference between “lucky” and “unlucky” accounts is covered well enough by difference in attempts, and by RNG variation.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

Yep i agree completely. People keep saying its rng but im starting to doubt that this rng system is working properly. Example one of my guildies got the exact same mf as me and he constantly get rares exotics heck every so often he gets a a precursor aswell.

He had at least 4 – 5 drop. Another guildie had 6 drop in a short amount of time. Ive been playing since betas and rarely get any drops not even rares.

Anet should stop saying its rng and take a good look at the system as more and more accounts are having this issue something must be wrong somewhere.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

ITT: people that do not understand how RNG and probability works (again).

Do an experiment – assume some chance of getting a prec out of forging/drop/whatever. Assume a large number of tries – (1000 forges, for example). Start crunching numbers for 0 precursors chance, 1 prec chance, 2 precs, 3, 4, 5…. Then compare that to GW2 population numbers.
After you see the results, i bet your outlook on cursed/lucky accounts will change radically.

Here is another problem. I get more rares daily just out of guaranteed (no rng involved) drops. It’s not surprising, that people that buy more tickets end up with better chance at winning something in the lottery. Lot of people seem to forget about this aspect as well, however, and somehow assume that people that get large number of good drops get them due to some “luck” shenanigans, and not simply because they play in a way that offers them way more chances for those drops.

Basically, the difference between “lucky” and “unlucky” accounts is covered well enough by difference in attempts, and by RNG variation.

Note the part I bolded and underlined in your statement, this is wrong because these gauranteed items ARE affected by RNG in that it could be a higher valued rare or even an exotic you could have gotten.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Note the part I bolded and underlined in your statement, this is wrong because these gauranteed items ARE affected by RNG in that it could be a higher valued rare or even an exotic you could have gotten.

True, doesn’t change what i was saying in the slightest, though. Some gameplay styles offer more chances at better drops than others. More attempts also result in more chances. I seem baffled by how many people still seem to miss that part.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Then after months of complaining about Permanent Diminished Returns and ANet calling all of us conspiracy theorists, they finally found an ERROR in their code.

This is the thing – it’s easy to say RNG is RNG, but a true random number generator is still one of the holy grails in computing.

I can’t find the article now, but there was an issue with the multiplayer of one of the consoles where some players were consistently always the aggro targets of monsters. After years of denying this, somebody in the company eventually decided that there was enough smoke that there might be a fire, looked into it, and found a genuine bug in the code.

I don’t recall the full explanation, but it basically boiled down to every multiplayer account having a number associated with it. Monster aggro was a complicated system, but the relevant part of it is roughly as follows:

First, it sorts all of the valid targets according to their account’s ID number. So, if we had IDs 13, 24, 106, and 2052 involved in a fight, it would sort them in that order.

Second, it assigns each player a weighting, according to how much aggro each player has generated. So say that player 13 was generally trying to avoid aggro, and generated 40 units of aggro. Player 24 is tanking, and generating 230 units of aggro. Player 106 is healing, and generating 150 units of aggro, and player 2052 is doing DPS and attempting to avoid aggro but still generating more aggro than player 13, and thus generating 90 units of aggro. So the aggro mechanic sets up a table along these lines:

1-40: Player 13
41-270: Player 24
271-420: Player 106
421-510: Player 2052

By design, it would then roll d510, and randomly attack one of the players with a probability of attacking each player according to how much aggro they’d generated. (Note that I’m using classical MMO-style terms here, although I believe a similar process was used for other types of games as well). The bug, as it turned out, was that the system could not handle a die size above a particular number, and when the table hit that number, it would roll a die in that range and pick targets appropriately. So if, in the above table, we assumed the die range was a d100, then despite doing the most to avoid attention poor Player 13 would have a 40% chance of being picked, while players 106 and 2052 could do whatever they wanted and would never be targeted. And because the table was always structured in player ID number, this meant that players with low ID numbers would consistently be the ones targeted whenever the bug came into play – thus giving them ‘cursed’ accounts.

Now, obviously I don’t think the same bug is in play here – but it does show that a ‘cursed’ account CAN sometimes be the result of a genuine process rather than just RNG being RNG.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

Tinfoil hats!

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Tinfoil is so 60s titanium is best.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I too, having played since beta, believe there is truth to the OP’s point. I have a few additional theories for loot distribution.

Theory one: loot chances significantly increase after not having played for X amount of time.

Theory two: inaccurate bot reports result in a loot modifier to the reported person whereas the modifier is not properly removed upon confirmation that it was false.

Theory three: luck affects certain containers. I tested this on certain containers, 20k with various luck boosters and 20k without. After continuous bashing by the tin-foil hat crowd I stopped sharing my results, which were staggeringly favoring MF.

Theory four: zone population density affects the “seed” discussed above and has an impact on loot distribution. Edit: some zones are, I believe, linked, such as the home instance of DR is linked population-wise to DR. The same applies to dungeons being linked, population-wise, to the zone they are in. This is why so many people had connection problems with fractals: it was linked to LA.

(edited by Buttercup.5871)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Brain may be designed to see patterns.
That is where you start using some simple math to see if said patterns are real or not.

And yet you get thread about tinfoil despite we had already 2 refunds due to chance related bugs and way more proved.

It may be wrong but may also be right.
If many people give some evidences you should start to apply some statistic and if possible work with the community to check if everything is Ok (see fractal droprate project).

P.S. My personal theory is DR related.
As already happened i think DR affects almost any drop you get (chest or mob).

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

It is all dependent on the type of random number generator they are using and although they were going to have a CDI discussion on it they have never stated the type of rng. If it uses a “fixed” seed then it is highly possible to see results like you detail above. Just look up fixed seed random number generators for an explanation but in essence that type of generator will repeat patterns after a given number of returns. So if your “seed” number returns you one set of numbers before they start repeating and your friends “seed” number returns a different set he could very well get better loot then you and it has nothing to do with luck.

How to mix all concepts of RNG in one post.

1. If you had a RNG per player, the space required to keep the current state would be quite big. Usually, it’s 128 bits (16 bytes) but more complex can grow up to 1024 bits (128 bytes). You’d think it isn’t big, check the amount of variable you can actually set in this game. 1, they are very limited counted and 2, this number of bytes is rarely encountered in the game, except for names and values that the user sets up, which again is very limited.
2. Recreating the random object/seed everytime would take time and resources. It’s easier and faster to simply take one single instance for the whole game server.
3. The period of most easy and fast rngs is in the order of the billion of billion. Unlikely that player here has even gone over a single period. There are less than 60 million seconds since the launch of GW2. With 10 random numbers per second (let’s say in full combat mode) for 2 years, you’d be around 630 million number generations per player (again, full time player for 2 years, no sleep, no afk). That’s not even one seventh of 4 billion which is the lowest period of any usual random number generators.

So I can take any explanation, but this one.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

(edited by Fror.2163)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: SidewayS.3789

SidewayS.3789

Rng is Rng, i know how it works. But someone who thinks the loot from gw2 is NOTHING but Rng, explain this to me :
Last year i had my first and last “rage quit” from Gw2. We had a lucky member in our guild, but his luck in one day, has gone through the roof of whatever RNG exist in gw2.
In the morning, he crafted some exotic swords, results : 2 Zaps. He laughed and even said, i will make a dusk in 3 hours. He showed his exotic GS, guess what = Dusk. After he came from work, it was evening, he again made some exotic daggers, the result of course was 1 Spark. That was the moment when I literally “alt+f4” uninstall and i didnt played gw2 for more then 1 year.
Now can someone explain again, that his luck was RNG or something else… My guild had over 200 online members, only 3 from 200, except that guy, who had their precursors as loot. So…It is trully a pure RNG or not so RNG.

[Main]Kappy Ry – Asura Guardian [~You are all,Bookahs !!!~]
[Second Main]Korvus Mistreaver – Charr Revenant [~I’m blind not deaf~]
[Third Main] Vladdz – Asura Engineer [~In due times, all will serve asura~]

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

“luck” streaks are part of randomness.

If you have 1 chance in 1000 of X happening, after X happens, you still have 1 chance in 1000 of X happening.

Also, the one guy that tries again and again to have X happening will have more chances that X happens than the guy that makes 3-4 tries.

People just don’t understand how probabilities work and make kittenumption that the RNG is fair. RNG is random. Randomness is not fairness.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

A friend of mine just picked up Dawn and 2 Dusks in 15 minutes… so don’t tell me about bad and good luck accounts

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

A friend of mine just picked up Dawn and 2 Dusks in 15 minutes… so don’t tell me about bad and good luck accounts

Would guess they got them from the mystic forge so the question is then how many people where also using the forge and did not get anything of value. Also how many times did they get nothing in the past. People win lotteries multiple times, does not mean the lottery is bent.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I’m pretty sure we all know players with both perpetual lucky and/or perpetual unlucky accounts. If one plays enough it’s very easy to spot them. If it were streaky in nature I could get behind the rng is rng sentiment, but it’s not.

Certain accounts consistently exhibit the same patterns over time. To the point of predictability.

That’s where rng is rng fails.

Serenity now~Insanity later

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

"R"NG? Did FOTM 38 Daily run today.
Everyone received a fractal skin as a reward. Never seen that before.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Light.7493

Light.7493

Over a large data set the drop %age should be close to average.
If you can collect a large data set for different people then you can prove this.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

do i think there are subjective protocols implemented on the servers, yus i do
is rng/magic find completely broken in this game.. not completely

all i can contribute to this conversation is magic find
it works in tiers and on tables
eventually you will find how/where it is useful to your account

Attachments:

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Keep in mind kills per hour are a lot more important.

If you were to compare the amount of loot a staff spamming guardian gets, versus a GS mesmer, the former will get a lot more loot.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Rng is Rng, i know how it works. But someone who thinks the loot from gw2 is NOTHING but Rng, explain this to me :
Last year i had my first and last “rage quit” from Gw2. We had a lucky member in our guild, but his luck in one day, has gone through the roof of whatever RNG exist in gw2.
In the morning, he crafted some exotic swords, results : 2 Zaps. He laughed and even said, i will make a dusk in 3 hours. He showed his exotic GS, guess what = Dusk. After he came from work, it was evening, he again made some exotic daggers, the result of course was 1 Spark. That was the moment when I literally “alt+f4” uninstall and i didnt played gw2 for more then 1 year.
Now can someone explain again, that his luck was RNG or something else… My guild had over 200 online members, only 3 from 200, except that guy, who had their precursors as loot. So…It is trully a pure RNG or not so RNG.

I can. I will.

While it’s technically possible that all that was truly a nigh impossible RNG event in that all things are possible, not all things are probable. It’s very suspicious.

It’s an insult to logic and reason to believe in a .0000000000000000000000000000000000001% of something when a more likely and probable explanation is apparent.

A more likely scenario, statistically, is that this guy was messing with you. Sadly, people like that exist.

Either with chat codes and/or in the event that they can produce the precursors in question (keeping in mind several exotic items share the precursor looks)…

Or else (preferably) if they are able to produce the legendary weapon within 3 hours as they boasted… it’s far more likely that they simply broke out the credit card for it.

Never underestimate the depravity of humanity, the lengths some people will go to draw attention to themselves.
_

An alternative explanation for your purview: They already had Twilight.

You didn’t know about it. They didn’t tell you. They orchestrated the whole event to make themselves out to be favored of the RNG gods.

We have a wardrobe system now. Ambiguity + people who love to troll and BS people who care about such things… well. You get it.
_

It’s a fair topic to bring up and we can implore Anet to explore their RNG code for any bugs or discrepancies in the distribution of loot and account luck.

But if no such problems are found? What do you say then? Anets lying? Your guildies lying? Hell, that nigh impossible situation really did happen to them?
_

Anet’s lying!: If you feel you can’t trust Anet, you shouldn’t be playing their game.

You should uninstall and distance yourself from what you believe to be a malicious and treacherous company with regards to your time and experience.

If you continue to play this game while harboring these feelings of distrust, then you’ve reconciled yourself to hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty; against yourself.

You do yourself a disservice and prove you have no spine to act against perceived wrongs against you.

This kind of person is engaged in a type of mental masochism and is a toxic community element. A hypocrite by nature and dishonest.

Nothing this type of player says is worth anything.

Guildie was BSing you: If your friend/guildie was lying and trolling, they’re a special kind of kittenhat. Cut, paste, print. Moving on.

Guildie truly was blessed by the gods of RNG (FINAL SOLUTION): Obtain katana Don’t worry about them. Don’t let it bother you.

They have an ugly GS that leaves glittery poop smatterings everywhere at worst, and at best they’re a lot richer than you. In a game.

I can’t fathom how such a thing made you quit the game, but we’re probably different people you and I.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Technicly its impossible but I have same feeling:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

… although they were going to have a CDI discussion on it they have never stated the type of rng. If it uses a “fixed” seed then it is highly possible to see results like you detail above.

And this is why they should not have a CDI on the RNG; all kinds of people will comment without really knowing much about them. So, unless Donald Knuth plays Guildwars 2 and is willing to participate in that CDI, it is better they spend their time on fixing bugs.

Most programmers should just pick a RNG, make sure it gets a good seed once per program execution and simply pull the pseudo random numbers from it that it generates. All the energy you could spend on attempts to improve the rng of choice is better spend on checking for your bugs in using the darned thing, see anecdote in the post by draxynnic.

….

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Technicly its impossible but I have same feeling:-)

Mmhm

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Ah, people mistaking “random distribution” with “equal distribution”. That and trying to put a pattern to a PRNG.

Here’s something to think about. Everything related to RNG has millions of possible outcomes. Take the usual “roll Mystic Forge 1000 times” thing. Well, you could get 0-1000 precursors out of that. And yet you never hear of anyone who has gotten 1000/1000 Precursors. If the PRNG in GW2 was broken, things like that should be happening.

The fact that “rare” events such as someone getting multiple Precursors are actually happening is proof that the PRNG is working. And there is really nothing they can do about it, unless you want to put in counters that literally prevent you from getting a good drop in X rolls of the “dice” after getting one.

(edited by Olba.5376)

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Random is random…. pffft yeah right not in this game. My friend got over 60 precursors since he started playing, he has over 20k gold. We’ve been playing together quite alot, doing same stuff and it was always guaranteed that he’ll get better rewards than me. He believes he has lucky acount, i believe the same, as does our guild, we even crak jokes about him sucking out all the luck from the guild for himself. I know of atleast one more person with lucky acount having over 15k gold. Anet should take a look at people with thousands of gold, i bet their roll results are quite different from ours.
Unless it’s intended, few people geting good loot and bringing it into economy while others have to buy gems and convert them to gold to be able to afford anything.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Yunjii Sun.3512

Yunjii Sun.3512

Unless it’s intended, few people geting good loot and bringing it into economy while others have to buy gems and convert them to gold to be able to afford anything.

This.

I don’t believe in a broken RNG; since they hired an economist, I’d rather believe that it is working as intended.

“We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

This.

I don’t believe in a broken RNG; since they hired an economist, I’d rather believe that it is working as intended.

Ummm, yah – this is the same profession that as a whole missed or flat out denied the crash was coming. Bit too much faith.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: SundayTrash.9562

SundayTrash.9562

Rng is not random, throughout 5.5k hours I played, I have found a single percursor from drop nor from the forge, while I have witness the same guildies getting precursor drop while running dungeons with them. I also know another guildie that gotten precursor after precursor on an avg of 25 attempts with forge into the forge.
Rng is as big of a myth as random aggro system in the game. 4.5k hours on my guardian, I can manage and keep aggro 90% of the time.
Here is another proof rng is not random http://archive.today/fvDAa if u scroll all the way down, u will c a post by linsey openly admin some combination have better shot at percursor.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

This.

So basically ANet is evil? Oh ok.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Yunjii Sun.3512

This.

Ummm, yah – this is the same profession that as a whole missed or flat out denied the crash was coming. Bit too much faith.

My point

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Yunjii Sun.3512

This.

So basically ANet is evil? Oh ok.

Evil? No. I mean they have to make money.
Not completely honest with us? Yeah.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

There are no lucky or bad luck accounts who comes up with this crap? It’s called rng. What exactly does a net have to gain by going around and randomly lowering an accounts luck like you state? That’s right nothing

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

Until evidence is submitted this is nothing but tinfoil hat speculation.

(Bad) Luck Accounts

Posted by: Pibriamal.8719

Pibriamal.8719

The more you post on the forums, the unluckier your account becomes.