Best use of nomad gear?

Best use of nomad gear?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Class/build ideas for someone using the toughness/vitality/healing gear? First thought was guardian but not sure if anyone else does it better, possibly shout war or healing ele?

Please don’t tell me how much it sucks. I know all about the meta and have zerkers on standby.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

RP’ing in cities lol…

Kidding aside, probably commanding in WvW with any class with its respective tanking/healing build.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Gunsnroll.2657

Gunsnroll.2657

Filling the trash.
This set has no place in PvE.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Kaldrys.1978

Kaldrys.1978

I use it on a joke build for my ranger in wvw because ranger is a thief magnet. No really carry around a longbow and have a bear equipped and everyone on the map will target you while you outheal most of the damage.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I would say heavy Tanky Warrior with CC. With excess armor, and if having a shield, would be enormous amount of aggro.

But problem is that majority of PvE group content don’t offer reasons to use any other than Berserker, because it was designed to be easy and optimal for direct damage/crit builds.

Bad mistake, which caused that Support, CC and conditions have the shortest straw…

Solution is not to buff classes for PvE

Solution is that ANet updates old PvE Group content. Hopefully they have plans to do that…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Bad mistake, which caused that Support, CC and conditions have the shortest straw…

Support and CC are part of every speed clear team comp, but most don’t pay attention. Condition damage is viable for dungeon solos.

Since I successfully turned your position, I expect you will reply expressing thanks for the educational moment.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I use it pick up dead rofl zerkers from floor.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I use it pick up dead rofl zerkers from floor.

So your saying it makes a good Shovel?

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

I’ve actually built a full Nomad war (for a test WvW set), and my observations are the following:

a) Even trinkets and weapons cannot make up for the loss of power going with this over, say, Sentinel’s or Soldier’s. If you’re running a condi bunker build, still really not that great either, because you’re lacking condition damage, so Dire ends up being a better set there as well.

b) Eventually mixed in some Soldier’s. It does pretty well on a shout heal build, but the healing power just doesn’t scale enough to make it worth it over losing power/condition dmg. You will eventually die before you manage to do enough damage to the other person(s), even running a full shout build. You’ll have next to no crit chance and incredibly low single or multi-target DPS, and shouts will heal for about 2.1k each, but toughness has diminishing returns and again you’re better off here with Knight’s, Soldier’s or Sentinel’s. Since Warriors have incredibly high base vit already, Knight’s is almost a universally better choice with a combination of Soldier’s over a set of this.

The class I could see it really working best on is a support ele, and even then I’d go hybrid at best (toughness is not really necessary for this build, just the healing power), in which case full Celestial is probably going to be a better choice in most regards. The same goes for Guardians in many respects.

As a full set, it doesn’t have much of a place in a game that does not have the Trinity, and almost seems like it seeks to achieve part of the Trinity, it’s just that the stats are in the wrong order — if you want a healer that can also absorb a decent amount of damage and enough health to survive the damage they do take, placing Toughness as its primary stat seems like a mistake.

Again, speaking solely from a WvW position.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Effective heal = Heal per second * Target Armor * (0.67*Fraction of time poisoned).

Where Armor = Defense + Toughness.

Stacking toughness is more effective than stacking healing power for keeping yourself alive , since heal coefficients barely ever breach 0.1. However, personal toughness has no effect on your heal on other targets – that is dependent on their toughness.

Thus, if looking to heal others, Cleric > Nomad, and even Cleric should be taken only on healbomb engis and symbol/virtue full heal guards. And these builds are only viable in WvW and to a far more questionable extent PvP (as condi builds screw Healing builds over by reducing effective heal by 33%, while their damage completely ignores Armor and hits Vitality directly). Nomad doesn’t heal enough to be viable over Cleric in a zerghealer scenario, and it also does less damage in that scenario. If you’re soloing you’re dead because you cannot do enough damage to take down even the glassiest full zerk ele/thief, and if you’re in a zerg you’re inferior to a full cleric build of the exact same traits. For PvE scenarios, not having PpF/pPF/PvT/CpT/Cpv means your damage output as a Nomad user is low enough that a ranger’s pet will outdamage you.

If you really must heal others, though, an optimal config will probably be a heal/condi ranger with spirit of nature, sic em and full apothecary specced on A/W SB. If you want to take damage for others in a zerg while being an off healer, the better config would probably be a Cleric based guard.

There’s no situation in which full Nomad is ever optimal. This is not to say that people using Nomad will necessarily fail, but those same people on another healvariant build will do better.

Best use of nomad gear?

FrostSpectre.4198

Support and CC are part of every speed clear team comp, but most don’t pay attention. Condition damage is viable for dungeon solos.

Since I successfully turned your position, I expect you will reply expressing thanks for the educational moment.

Group content that gives reason for conditions, etc.
But:

• Mobs health with rank ups, is usually heavily boosted against conditions, especially with the current condition system.
  • Mobs have simple skill sets that mainly hurt 1 player, making support in general having barely need.
  • Mobs with considerable abilities, are usually immune to CC due to being rank Champ and higher.
I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

• Mobs with considerable abilities, are usually immune to CC due to being rank Champ and higher.

Champions and higher aren’t innately immune to crowd control, they just shrug off a certain number of attempts before allowing one to succeed. It’s why off-hand Pistol Thief is one of the best for dealing with interrupting champions. You whittle away at the Defiant stacks with Head Shot so that the party can interrupt the big attack when needed.

Just because most groups don’t have the coordination to arrange such interrupts doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

BM Ranger and support guard is the only two classes that actually BENEFIT from this set.

BM Ranger because it can actually still deal good damage while NOT having any power (all hail pets with their own stats) and because if you run x2x66 you can get massive regen, heavy pet strikes and with the upcoming change to axe auto – very good might stacking. Make no mistake, i have this armor on my ranger and it is FAR FROM a good set. Not the way the game currently is. That being said, the ranger will NOT DIE, unless the user makes several fatal errors.

Support guard for obvious reasons.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

In PvE? Roleplaying, or commandering.
In PvP it might make a fun bunker build actually.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Nomad necro plague form trololo

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Group content that gives reason for conditions, etc.
But:

• Mobs health with rank ups, is usually heavily boosted against conditions, especially with the current condition system.
  • Mobs have simple skill sets that mainly hurt 1 player, making support in general having barely need.

Mobs are not boosted against conditions in any way. You have a few rare examples like alpha, alphard, belka and lupicus who cleanse conditions or have shorter durations on conditions but they’re exceptions, not the rule. So if mobs cleaved that would require a build stacking selfish defensive stats like vitality and toughness? Mobs are not immune to CC either, they’re just immune to the pointless spamming of it after you land your first Ckittenil you burn through five more – it promotes intelligent play and not mindless spamming. Conditions are also important even in groups as sources of damage amplification, burning to proc fiery wrath on guards, bleeding to proc attack of opportunity on warrior, a new ranger trait I believe is going to give a modifier if a mob is afflicted with a movement impairing condition. Then there’s vulnerability which is pretty straightforward. Conditions could be better, but for group content they basically operate in a support role to activate damage modifiers.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

use it in wvw on a theif w/mercy runes and Resilience of Shadows trait. Congrats you can now revive anyone even in the middle of a zerg fight.

(edited by TexZero.7910)

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Definitely tanky hammer warrior in WvW… My warrior is full ascended nomads and with food, sharpening stone, wvw buffs, and sigil stacks, he ends up at-

Power- 2100
Health- 30k
Healing- 772
Armor- 4k

I had a Warrior Hundred blade me for 1k and a thief hit me for ZERO on four consecutive attacks…

Take all of that and throw in he is a CC machine and I deliver tail whuppings on the regular in zerg battles…

Edit- Please note I am not even including might stacks which bump the power to in excess of 3k… and yes I know you wont have those stacks all the time but in a zerk battle before you engage an enemy it’s EASY to get 25 stacks of might…

(edited by Solomon Darkfury.3729)

Best use of nomad gear?

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Effective heal = Heal per second * Target Armor * (0.67*Fraction of time poisoned).

Stacking toughness is more effective than stacking healing power for keeping yourself alive , since heal coefficients barely ever breach 0.1. However, personal toughness has no effect on your heal on other targets – that is dependent on their toughness.

Thus, if looking to heal others, Cleric > Nomad, and even Cleric should be taken only on healbomb engis and symbol/virtue full heal guards. And these builds are only viable in WvW and to a far more questionable extent PvP (as condi builds screw Healing builds over by reducing effective heal by 33%, while their damage completely ignores Armor and hits Vitality directly). Nomad doesn’t heal enough to be viable over Cleric in a zerghealer scenario, and it also does less damage in that scenario. If you’re soloing you’re dead because you cannot do enough damage to take down even the glassiest full zerk ele/thief, and if you’re in a zerg you’re inferior to a full cleric build of the exact same traits. For PvE scenarios, not having PpF/pPF/PvT/CpT/Cpv means your damage output as a Nomad user is low enough that a ranger’s pet will outdamage you.

If you really must heal others, though, an optimal config will probably be a heal/condi ranger with spirit of nature, sic em and full apothecary specced on A/W SB. If you want to take damage for others in a zerg while being an off healer, the better config would probably be a Cleric based guard.

There’s no situation in which full Nomad is ever optimal. This is not to say that people using Nomad will necessarily fail, but those same people on another healvariant build will do better.

I beg to differ… please refer to my previous post…

Best use of nomad gear?

Solomon Darkfury.3729

I can’t disagree with you more… please make an effort to build one before you pass judgement…

To say it is useless in PVE is silly… No its not zerk so wouldn’t be best suited for dungeons but normal pve content you are fine…

This build PWNS in zerg battles… trust me…

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

BM Ranger and support guard is the only two classes that actually BENEFIT from this set.

BM Ranger because it can actually still deal good damage while NOT having any power (all hail pets with their own stats) and because if you run x2x66 you can get massive regen, heavy pet strikes and with the upcoming change to axe auto – very good might stacking. Make no mistake, i have this armor on my ranger and it is FAR FROM a good set. Not the way the game currently is. That being said, the ranger will NOT DIE, unless the user makes several fatal errors.

Support guard for obvious reasons.

This is . . . interesting to hear and has me thinking. Not thinking I want to invest in Nomad gear, obviously – I tend to prefer my Soldier’s. But thinking the idea is it not being a ‘valid choice’ for every build.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Best use of nomad gear?

FrostSpectre.4198

Mobs are not boosted against conditions in any way. You have a few rare examples like alpha, alphard, belka and lupicus who cleanse conditions or have shorter durations on conditions but they’re exceptions, not the rule. So if mobs cleaved that would require a build stacking selfish defensive stats like vitality and toughness? Mobs are not immune to CC either, they’re just immune to the pointless spamming of it after you land your first Ckittenil you burn through five more – it promotes intelligent play and not mindless spamming. Conditions are also important even in groups as sources of damage amplification, burning to proc fiery wrath on guards, bleeding to proc attack of opportunity on warrior, a new ranger trait I believe is going to give a modifier if a mob is afflicted with a movement impairing condition. Then there’s vulnerability which is pretty straightforward. Conditions could be better, but for group content they basically operate in a support role to activate damage modifiers.

Well, my reply was mostly about open-world PvE, where the rank ups tend to happen very often when scale up hits.

As for rank ups, I really hope it’s multiplier based, so that rank up doesn’t increase specific stats, as it feels like with old PvE content, they have more HP and more DMG and barely any armor increase.

In party related group events, the effects tend to be more easier to manage.

Also about armor, the higher it is, the higher is player’s aggro rating, so it’s not all that selfish.
Along with that passive defense has less effect of your survival…

If the player attempts to keep certain variables up during combat (closest to target, has shield, has very high armor and deals damage), they can control the aggro of mobs, boss monsters are mostly exception due to special rules.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Well, my reply was mostly about open-world PvE, where the rank ups tend to happen very often when scale up hits.

So your problem is with the condition cap.

The key thing to note is that the game is balanced around five-man groups (pvp, dungeons), not 100-man zergs.

Also about armor, the higher it is, the higher is player’s aggro rating, so it’s not all that selfish.

Aggro isn’t that cut and dry. Proximity, damage dealt and toughness are all factors. In a pug sometimes bosses will be glued to me when I’m full glass, sometimes I use rabid and they won’t leave me alone either- it’s really random. It’s selfish because toughness and vitality contribute nothing to kill times or your party’s survivability – it doesn’t help you aegis better, reflect better, protect better. It just wrecks your damage output for no real gain.

If the player attempts to keep certain variables up during combat (closest to target, has shield, has very high armor and deals damage), they can control the aggro of mobs, boss monsters are mostly exception due to special rules.

Control of mob aggro is literally irrelevant, boss aggro is the major one – and reliable information on it is pretty desolate. I’ve noticed for example that Belka and Alphard will always aggro an ascended armour wearer over exotic (defense is the aggro priority in this case), whereas Lupicus sometimes loves squishies, sometimes loves the tankiest player, sometimes loves the closest player. It’s just rolling the RNG wheel.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Best use of nomad gear?

FrostSpectre.4198

So your problem is with the condition cap.

The key thing to note is that the game is balanced around five-man groups (pvp, dungeons), not 100-man zergs.

Nope, not complaining about the condition cap, nor about defiance scale ups.

Problem mainly being that old PvE content mobs mainly designed for direct damage builds and being easy in mind of “play how you want”.

Players who do builds with other stat sets are not quite welcomed to the events, getting insults for “inefficiency” sometimes from unfriendly players.

Obviously it was very optimal for that design in ANet’s mind, than making mobs have more armor. It’s not necessary to add any kind of support or CC into builds, which partly diminishes the DPS of the said player if they do, so it’s good enough to kill the mob before the player dies.

Well, quite many players seem to be against making every armor stat sets usable in PvE, since to do so, it’s needed to limit “play how you want” into solo content only, where your build shouldn’t matter at all, unlike in group content would.

Best use of nomad gear?

Solomon Darkfury.3729

lol I find it hilarious that not ONE of the Nomad naysayers on this thread have responded to the ONE person who has posted who actually HAS Nomad’s ascended set…

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Heal way gurd commander to counter driver sniping but you will need a 2ed in command to tell the main commander when things are getting to hot because full nomads makes every thing feel like nothing.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

lol I find it hilarious that not ONE of the Nomad naysayers on this thread have responded to the ONE person who has posted who actually HAS Nomad’s ascended set…

How are we supposed to tell him we don’t want him in our dungeon parties?

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Right click ‘Kick from party’ tends to work.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Rangersix.1754

Rangersix.1754

Terrible for PvE due to no offensive stats.
Terrible for WvW because of the Low power and it’s primary stat is toughness rather than vitality. Healing also scales terribly and due to many other sources of incoming healing, it’s far better to stack vitality anyway. Full sentinel/sentinel+soldier is tankier than full nomad for any class.

In short; it’s basically a bad stat combo that would have a place in some niche sPvP bunker builds, but is quite underwhelming in all other parts of the game.

(edited by Rangersix.1754)

Best use of nomad gear?

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Right click ‘Kick from party’ tends to work.

Scroll up before you run your mouth… I said it isn’t suitable for dungeons…

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Kaalcifer.8249

Kaalcifer.8249

Hi ^^
I’m really interested about this topic.

I’ve made 3 builds : 1 Nomad, 1 Cleric and 1 Mixed.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQNAS5enMdQlHWKIeeAdIGQLIQH0UoqNdX1HA-TBCCABLqEc4nAAxq/IsmhiV+BwFBIYdARt/gAgWA-e

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQNAS5enMdQlHWKIeeAdIGQLIQH0UoqNdX1HA-TBCCABLqEc4nAgwaGKW5HAXEgg1BE1+Dcq+jAgWA-e

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQNAS5enMdQlHWKIeeAdIGQLIQH0UoqNdX1HA-TxBCABAcQAWUJ4wHBAOV/Jq9H8S53f6GEA0C-e

Did u tried something like this ?
Any one get a exp testing and played build ?
Any one had constructive ideas in this builds way ?

Ty for fun ^^

(edited by Kaalcifer.8249)

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I have a nomad guardian. It’s ultra OP in EOTM lootstick farming.

Damage? Why? Everyone’s an uplevel anyway. And I can tank undergeared uplevels.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I have a nomad guardian. It’s ultra OP in EOTM lootstick farming.

Damage? Why? Everyone’s an uplevel anyway. And I can tank undergeared uplevels.

I was just about to post this – EotM seems like the best place for this set on a lootsticker, just run in the enemy zerg and trololo. It should be tagtastic!

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Kveldulf.7605

Kveldulf.7605

invincible guardian…dealing 0 dmg…np in dungeons. don’t listen to ppl claiming “This set has no place in PvE”!!!
Tanking everything everywhere! + nice healing support on staff, mace, focus etc etc

Kveldulf Frost – Thief (Charr)
Wlaadas Frost – Warrior (Charr) Torlic Frost – Guardian (Norn)
http://amalthea-gw2.de

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: InfernoHero.5687

InfernoHero.5687

tagtastic!

I’m using this word now.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I was playing with a tank gaurdian in fractal and was surprised on how well the group goes. He somehow gets all the bosses attention so all the rest of the party member can melee dps.

That being said, you still need some skill. And the rest of the party does need to provides some AOE heals.

Those youtube speed run fractal runs are still much faster though. But it is one of the fastest fractal runs I ever did in pug.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Definitely tanky hammer warrior in WvW… My warrior is full ascended nomads and with food, sharpening stone, wvw buffs, and sigil stacks, he ends up at-

Power- 2100
Health- 30k
Healing- 772
Armor- 4k

I had a Warrior Hundred blade me for 1k and a thief hit me for ZERO on four consecutive attacks…

Take all of that and throw in he is a CC machine and I deliver tail whuppings on the regular in zerg battles…

Edit- Please note I am not even including might stacks which bump the power to in excess of 3k… and yes I know you wont have those stacks all the time but in a zerk battle before you engage an enemy it’s EASY to get 25 stacks of might…

Lol you troll.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I would guess…

WvW only (Guardian):

(Hey, the build site doesn’t have any asc nomad trinkets. Is that true?)

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQNApeWlsApWoNDxVI8DNRCBl5M+P2foFl4yA0AA-TVCEABL8EAGUJIvq/Yz+DWp0zJlB6qPAgDBwDnAAyAssAA-w

Mace is of course not needed. You would replace the symbol/mace traits with something more conventional.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJARWlsApWoNDxVI8DNRCRl9M8fBI2fQIUCXFAA-TVCEABL8EAGUJIvq/Yz+DWp0zJlB6qLAgDBwDXAAyAssAA-w

Engineer

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fdAQJAqelUUpPrtbx6KseRiaBNqzE6bkxAIyPmlPFBA-T1xGABA8AAwTJYsq/I0+DLp8jgTAwr6BIDwyCA-w

Hopefully you’ll be grouped with some responsible guardians.

The main advantage of these things is while you have less healing than a cleric, you aren’t as squishy as them due to the lack of vitality. Of course, your damage sucks even more , so you’ll need to find people to stack might on you. I would use a bloodlust sigil to compensate— it’s not like you’re going to down anyways.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Best use of nomad gear?

Arikyali.5804

I forgot to mention another great use for nomad in WvW: siege bunker.

Everyone else runs away while I stand there and ram the gate/cata the walls.

Best use of nomad gear?

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

The problem is that healing power scales terribly with most skills that you’re better off going with soldier or even sentinel as a tanky set, since the power those 2 sets offer is largely more useful than the healing power of Nomads. Unless you literally don’t intend to attack whatsoever.

Best use of nomad gear?

Arikyali.5804

The problem is that healing power scales terribly with most skills that you’re better off going with soldier or even sentinel as a tanky set, since the power those 2 sets offer is largely more useful than the healing power of Nomads. Unless you literally don’t intend to attack whatsoever.

This is true. I’ve found even with experimenting with nomad, you still need some power to deal enough damage to tag. I think nomad was intended to be mixed with other stats, and not go full nomad.