Blocking dps meters

Blocking dps meters

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: thefinnster.6904

thefinnster.6904

simple question anyone know if theres a way to stop players from useing dps meters on me as i am fundamentaly against them so much so that im seriously thnking of quiting the game because i dont like being policed like this in my recreation time

p.s i am not a scrub i am a veteran player since launch and do get good dps numbers for the most part i just disagree with this direction the game is takeing coz i belive most players missuse dps meters

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

What are you doing that you are getting harassed by players with DPS meters?

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

im not geting harrrased tbh but i do see other players being harrased or kicked out of groups for low dps and i dont agree with that
the fact that Anet has allowed this elitist tool in game that sees there own player base being excluded from content just astounds me

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

To answer your question, There is no way that I know of to block other players using DPS meters if you are grouped with them. Maybe you could use the LFG tool to request your own groups with no DPS meters? Not ideal for you but with Anet giving DPS meters a greenlight for players to use, it’s either that or stop playing like you said.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

im not geting harrrased tbh but i do see other players being harrased or kicked out of groups for low dps and i dont agree with that
the fact that Anet has allowed this elitist tool in game that sees there own player base being excluded from content just astounds me

The hard part about it is that DPS meters are a great tool for very high level raiders trying to min max their runs and set a world record. The toxic thing is you get people who are NOT trying to set a world record THINKING they are going to set a world record and kicking people. I don’t think there is a solution other than people raiding with a guild or finding friends to raid with.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This kind of thing is why I rarely PUG. I didn’t know much about DPS meters, but I had no idea they weren’t just for one’s own performance.

I agree, bad idea, ArenaNet.

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

I’ve heard there are some dps meters out there that require everyone in party haveing the same software installed and networked together to share acurate dps scores i cant understand why Anet would not support that kind of dps meter instead of the ones we have atm
at least that way its opt in kinda thing and i can choose ot give my consent to share data
way things are atm it feels too much like an invasion of privacy and it feeds in to that elitist toxic mentality

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

You know if they didn’t allow dps meters they would use AP to exclude people and if they get rid of achievements they would want the API to look people up on that gw2 efficiency, or even something else. So pick your poison, because they will always find something else to use.

Also you have the choice of who to play with, as do these other people. They want to have everyone carry their own weight. If you don’t want to play with these elitist then make your own group or get into a guild group. Just because this is a MMO doesn’t mean you have to play with every single person that enters a group/map/party/guild, otherwise they wouldn’t have a block list so you can ignore people you don’t like.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

On topic: ANet would have to write new code to hide the ability to show damage (while still calculating it for the game and display it to the player). It would be complicated and subject the game to a lot of potential bugs. Doesn’t seem worth it, when there’s already an alternative: form your own group (and kick out people using a DPS meter, if that’s what you want).

i do see other players being harrased or kicked out of groups for low dps and i dont agree with that

Players have always been kicked for seemingly-arbitrary reasons; DPS meters haven’t changed that. If anything, it means commanders and squadies can learn about mutual incompatibility without investing as much time.

the fact that Anet has allowed this elitist tool

Whoa. Slow down. The tool isn’t elitist (if anything, it treats everyone the same, something that observation alone cannot do). Elitists will use the tool to serve their elitist principles, sure. That’s a social issue, not a technological one.

in game that sees there own player base being excluded from content just astounds me

Where did you get the idea that the game excludes players from the content? It is we who make the choice to participate or not. Last PvP season, anyone who was willing to spend some hours in PvP would get 5 pieces of ascended armor — I wasn’t “excluded” from that reward; I just wasn’t willing to spend the time. Similarly, anyone can gear up for raids and join (or start) a training team to learn the mechanics.

I don’t mean to suggest that it’s easy; on the contrary, raids were designed to be challenging. It’s simply inaccurate to translate “difficult content” into “exclusive content.”

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

i agree with you fully on this topic !! and feel the same way too sadly to say games today do not give thos of us . who wish to not have dps meters invading our games or software a way to block or stop them from our games . and

do not nor will not get the idea . firewalls might be able to maybe block some of it
if set to super high. but i do not think that it will block them all . or any of them maybe

and hopefully one of the developers of the game will see this post . and will maybe be good enough to engage us in this topic and . with the hopes and ways to come up with a good answer for all to make this so it works both ways and every one is happy

no new system upgrades coming

(edited by WARIORSCHARGEING.2637)

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve heard there are some dps meters out there that require everyone in party haveing the same software installed and networked together to share acurate dps scores i cant understand why Anet would not support that kind of dps meter instead of the ones we have atm

at least that way its opt in kinda thing and i can choose ot give my consent to share data

way things are atm it feels too much like an invasion of privacy and it feeds in to that elitist toxic mentality

If this were to be implemented, anyone choosing not to opt in would be excluded, including you should you make that choice. The meter does not cause the exclusion, it only focuses it on more meaningful criteria than other measures. People have been excluded based on numbers of LI, which might have some relevance. People have also been excluded from dungeons based on total AP, which can have no bearing whatsoever on competence or performance.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

This kind of thing is why I rarely PUG. I didn’t know much about DPS meters, but I had no idea they weren’t just for one’s own performance.

Maybe I’m out of touch here but a quick google search indicates that I’m not.

Guild Wars 2 only sends your damage to your client. You cannot tell how much damage any other player is doing. The only way those would work would be if everyone in the group has the same damage meter installed and that damage meter shared information over the net.

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

i think the big thing that alot of you who support dps meters dont get is that to me and many other players this feels like an intrusive method of survailance theres a huge diferance between that and linking how many li you have or being judged on your AP

Its the feeling of being constantly under survailance you join a pug you dont know who is or is not runing a dps meter it makes me feel realy uncomfortable

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

i think the big thing that alot of you who support dps meters dont get is that to me and many other players this feels like an intrusive method of survailance theres a huge diferance between that and linking how many li you have or being judged on your AP

Its the feeling of being constantly under survailance you join a pug you dont know who is or is not runing a dps meter it makes me feel realy uncomfortable

Hello! I fully support DPS meter! At least the One that I use that display the dps of only the people who is it.
I can’t read your DPS if your are not using it.
It help me a lot to improve my rotation, and my gameplay at all.

So please, answer me, how it can make you feel unconfortable?

Parabrezza

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

lucadiro.4519 the dps meeter your useing is just one of many that are currently permited and they dont all work like that most other DPS meters allow you to see everyone in your party/raid’s DPS reguardless of what they have installed

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Big brother DPS is always watching you….

Yes I agree, I’m not a big fan of other players “monitoring” others players for their idea of “acceptable” performance. In most open situations the interactions generated from a DPS meter tend to be negative. Pre-made group trash talking random pugs dps or performance (even if not to his face). The DPS meter when used simply as a tool is not elitists, however the most common uses for it do lean towards elitists.

However lets face it, if you could block the use of DPS meters on you… and actively used such a feature; you would get the same type of negative response. In fact if you do consistently high dps and had the ability to monitor turned off, it could cause more negative feelings then just letting them “monitor”.

I haven’t really been paying much attention to this topic, where did A-net give DPS meters the green light?

Blocking dps meters

Pifil.5193

lucadiro.4519 the dps meeter your useing is just one of many that are currently permited and they dont all work like that most other DPS meters allow you to see everyone in your party/raid’s DPS reguardless of what they have installed

Which DPS meters, specifically, are you talking about? I’ve just searched for GW2 DPS meters and everyone requires the entire group to have them installed in order to see other player’s DPS.

It is possible to calculate the DPS done to a boss from the entire group, but you could do that with a stopwatch too (for example, if you know a boss has 1,000,000 hitpoints and the fight takes 100 seconds, the group DPS is 1,000,000/100 therefore the group’s DPS is 10,000).

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

Miku.6297 you are probobly right that players who chose to use such a feature would encounter those negative situations but at the same time i think it would reveal the huge devide in how players feel about being monitored like that and the end result would be compromises on both sides of the fence
while not ideal its probably better than the curent situation witch removes choice from the equasion

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

Pifil.5193 i cant say for sure witch ones allow squad monitoring coz i dont agree with them i have never looked for a dps meter of any sort but im sure someone can tell you

Blocking dps meters

Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193 i cant say for sure witch ones allow squad monitoring coz i dont agree with them i have never looked for a dps meter of any sort but im sure someone can tell you

If you don’t know which ones because you’ve never looked for any DPS meters then how do you know that “most other DPS meters allow you to see everyone in your party/raid’s DPS reguardless of what they have installed”?

I don’t use DPS meters in GW2 (I don’t raid) but I have looked for them now and none that I can find allow you to see everyone’s DPS unless they have the same DPS meter installed.

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

i may have chosen my words poorly when i said MOST but there are certainly dps meters out there that let you see each and every players indavidual dps in a fight i know this coz i raid witch is where players are useing them for the most part

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

Some of the current legit dps meters out there do estimate the dps of the party or squad members. But these are not (always) accurate. Especially on condi builds. However there is one that can link with each other IF everyone uses the same meter. I believe it was BGDM. Not sure on that one. Don’t use it myself …or any meter for that matter.

That being said. I do agree on the part where players should be able to block the information that he or she wants. Beside the fact that it helps groups to improve it also creates toxicity as @OP mentioned. Don’t get me wrong, i don’t say that people shouldn’t use it. But likewise it also needs to be contained and somehow kept under control in my believes.

[Sorta offtopic]Additionally, now that DPS meters have been approved under certain restrictions. Does ANet have any plans on implementing a dps meter themselves? Has there anything been spoken/written about such a thing? (would love to hear a official response from dev’s here)

Blocking dps meters

lucadiro.4519

I dont think… I’m kinda sure there are only some dps meter that try to Guess your DPS but don’t read it

Parabrezza

Blocking dps meters

Miku.6297

@thefinnster.6904

The divide between pro and con DPS meters is allready apparent and it has been in the countless DPS meter threads that have been around from the start till now.

Adding another level of potential conflict seems counter productive to getting all parties involved to play nicely.

@anyone ~~ Where did A-net give the green light on dps meters? Did they give a specific list of ones that are OK and ones that arn’t or what is and what is not ok? All I remember seeing for sure was any thing that read the games memory was a nono.

Blocking dps meters

lucadiro.4519

Some of the current legit dps meters out there do estimate the dps of the party or squad members. But these are not (always) accurate. Especially on condi builds. However there is one that can link with each other IF everyone uses the same meter. I believe it was BGDM. Not sure on that one. Don’t use it myself …or any meter for that matter.

That being said. I do agree on the part where players should be able to block the information that he or she wants. Beside the fact that it helps groups to improve it also creates toxicity as @OP mentioned. Don’t get me wrong, i don’t say that people shouldn’t use it. But likewise it also needs to be contained and somehow kept under control in my believes.

[Sorta offtopic]Additionally, now that DPS meters have been approved under certain restrictions. Does ANet have any plans on implementing a dps meter themselves? Has there anything been spoken/written about such a thing? (would love to hear a official response from dev’s here)

BDGM display other DPS only if they have It too yes

Parabrezza

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

GWMO.4785 i was thinking something along those lines myselff as a solution to this problem a proper in game dps meter we have some control over what we chose to share

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

As far as ArenaNet adding an official DPS meter, there’s this post: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/DPS-meter-in-game-would-be-a-God-Send/page/5#post6417311

For ‘sanctioning DPS meter use’, there’s some Reddit posts: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5sw8ey/arenanets_official_stance_on_3rd_party_dps_meters/

Good luck.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

simple question anyone know if theres a way to stop players from useing dps meters on me

All DPS meters that meet ANet’s requirements (arc / BDGM) only work on people in a party or squad with those using the DPS meter. As a result, simply don’t join any parties or squads of people using DPS meters and you won’t give them any of your data.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Blocking dps meters

thefinnster.6904

Rising Dusk.2408 next youl be suggesting i uninstall the game ?

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

No, next I’ll be suggesting you join a guild with a similar mentality to yours that doesn’t use DPS meters. If you insist on playing in public groups you need to be ready to deal with what the group expects.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Thats always an option if you don’t like changes that company does to the game.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Don’t like em? Don’t join a group that demands it. Freedom of association works both ways.

SBI

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

Don’t like em? Don’t join a group that demands it. Freedom of association works both ways.

Yes and no… you see there would be a difference if you could block it. In such case people would ask that information beforehand. And if you don’t provide it. you would get kicked or leave yourself. As where now they just “check it” and kick or ask to leave while you’re already in there. Or perhaps mid fight even. So yes it doesn’t solve the issue, but it contributes to minimize it

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I dont agree with that

You see it as elitist, I see it as a helpful tool to see whether or not I’m pulling my own weight in a raid, not to judge others. I don’t see it as an elitist at all, not in the slightest. From my point of view has only done good for me and my friends.

So lets break it down, what are you doing that DPS meters get you aggravating. Are you playing in a game mode where DPS is a very important aspect to clearing the content? If yes, then why are you are against a tool that allows you to see if you fulfil that role. If you’re not doing content where DPS is the primary aspect, then why are you bothered by it?

In short, if you’re doing raids, why are you against a tool that shows DPS.
If you’re not doing raids, why do you care about the existence of DPS meters in the first place?

Blocking dps meters

Miku.6297

You see it as elitist, I see it as a helpful tool to see whether or not I’m pulling my own weight in a raid, not to judge others. I don’t see it as an elitist at all, not in the slightest. From my point of view has only done good for me and my friends.

So you or your friends have never used it to exclude or judge others that are not in your “group of friends” based on what numbers they are pulling?

In short, if you’re doing raids, why are you against a tool that shows DPS.
If you’re not doing raids, why do you care about the existence of DPS meters in the first place?

Are these DPS meters only being used in raids? If the answer is no, then that is why people care about being on them in raid or not.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

The dps meters reduce the ignorant accusations about players not doing well and being victums of kick just because they dont play x or y class.
Now that dps metters are a thing, things like that dont happen as much coz now guard or a thief can see if they are doing the job correctly and not feel like they could at any moment be kicked because the group fails dps checks and its ofc the fault of the thief because they are not playing ele (which supposedly mean that if qt on a test golem can pull off 40k dps that mean in a raid scenario all can pull the same numbers so therefor other classes do less dmg and fail the encounter).

To answer your question no dps meters cannot be disabled on you but then calling dps meters as something that makes the game worst is a big mistake by itself

Blocking dps meters

Miku.6297

To answer your question no dps meters cannot be disabled on you but then calling dps meters as something that makes the game worst is a big mistake by itself

The meters can be used in good and bad ways. Saying DPS meters are something that makes the game only better or only worse is a big mistake.

They could be viewed as making aspects of the game better and worse.

On another note, whats the best DPS meter that shows DPS/damageincome/healingout/buff time etc? Mainly looking for something that shows all aspects of play not just DPS DPS DPS.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

I’ve met a lot of pugs who were actually really interested to know their dps numbers.

I think you’re overreacting to them a bit.

People getting kicked from pugs happened before dps meters for gw2 even existed ( let alone green light from anet). You also need to consider what’s going on in the group. Most people won’t give a skritt if the run is going smoothly & people aren’t dropping like flys.

edit: @ miku, try bgdm. It has an awesome UI now and you can see uptimes of virtually every type of buff you could want to see. Along with healing and damage numbers.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

What the hell are you doing to find groups as these?? I’ve pugged for the last 4 weeks, not a single time did 1 player say a thing about DPS from meters.
Still, if someone says that you don’t have enough dps, it’s mostly from the fact that you are not (not you directly, your group) doing mechanics properly.

If the rotations aren’t done properly, DPS is the easiest thing to scapegoat. Don’t say that Anet shouldn’t allow DPS meters, as none can read another players’ memory. They guess your DPS, means they aren’t totally correct.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

Maybe I’m out of touch here but a quick google search indicates that I’m not.

Guild Wars 2 only sends your damage to your client. You cannot tell how much damage any other player is doing. The only way those would work would be if everyone in the group has the same damage meter installed and that damage meter shared information over the net.

From what i’ve read on the meters (which isn’t a ton) there are three main ones. One that just displays your dps, one that shares your data via a server and it then shares it with people in your vicinity/group that are using the meter, and one that “estimates” everyone elses damage even if they aren’t running the meter. The third one, i’ve heard the estimation is pretty accurate with power but it gets less accurate with condi.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Armenthos.9682

Armenthos.9682

For the first time today, I got kicked from a raid for not doing enough dps on my condi engi. Considering that I don’t use a dps meter myself, I find it shocking how quickly some pve raid groups have become in kicking people with low dps and their comments about not doing enough. What I cannot stand more than anything is this false idea that everyone has to be playing and achieving the max dps going all the time and doesn’t take into consideration the differing aspects of a raid encounter. Personally, I feel that giving this greenlight has just made raids more elitist and toxic than before. And that’s coming from someone with over 300li…..
So in my opinion, dps meters need to be removed because it only promotes toxicity in the game.

Smile, it confuses people

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

How about installing a DPS metre and self improving yourself?

You are not being kicked cause a DPS meter ISVs running – it’s because they believe you are running sub par to their exp group. It’s often an eye opener to see what you believe and what’s going on.

A good commander will look at DPS, buff uptime and situational awareness before recommending to kick. They may only give one of the reasons why they kicked – if your running at 50% of the DPS you should – why should they carry you?
You could secretly be running nomads armor or dying after 30s into an encounter (yes – I’ve had people who often die repeatedly 30s into a8 min fight- may only give them low DPS as a reason : however the real reason is more obvious – you don’t understand or have enough experience with this boss or lag preventing the whole group from achieving the goal of completing this encounter).

If it’s a training run they may address what’s going wrong to help you get the numbers you would expect so the whole group has a much easier time.

DPS meters running them yourself would at least allow you to compare yourself to others and see if how good you think you are vs others is really true. These encounters are not a static punching golem which will ensure the numbers are much lower.

Take the opportunity to learn how to get better – if you can’t beat them join them. They have decided to improve and so can you.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

You are not being kicked cause a DPS meter ISVs running – it’s because they believe you are running sub par to their exp group. It’s often an eye opener to see what you believe and what’s going on.

A good commander will look at DPS, buff uptime and situational awareness before recommending to kick. They may only give one of the reasons why they kicked – if your running at 50% of the DPS you should – why should they carry you?
You could secretly be running nomads armor or dying after 30s into an encounter (yes – I’ve had people who often die repeatedly 30s into a8 min fight- may only give them low DPS as a reason : however the real reason is more obvious – you don’t understand or have enough experience with this boss or lag preventing the whole group from achieving the goal of completing this encounter).

If it’s a training run they may address what’s going wrong to help you get the numbers you would expect so the whole group has a much easier time.

DPS meters running them yourself would at least allow you to compare yourself to others and see if how good you think you are vs others is really true. These encounters are not a static punching golem which will ensure the numbers are much lower.

Take the opportunity to learn how to get better – if you can’t beat them join them. They have decided to improve and so can you.

I totally agree that running a DPS meter can improve one’s game by a ton, especially if you are in a raid. I dunno how many people I’ve seen that think they were great and are only pulling in 10k during a raid. That is a pitiful number and should be around 16k in a raid scenario imo. I dunno what qT gets during a raid but in PUGs you should get 16k, some classes pull 20-24k easily (stupid condi ranger, dumb class be dumb).

I’ve also been in groups where I pull in over 50% of the damage in 5-mans (using BGDM so can’t see specifics just how much I’ve done to the overall HP of the boss) and ponder how others are doing so little. Using a DPS meter might help the others realize that they are actually being carried more than they will admit. Almost reminds me of dungeons runs of old where the soldier player thinks they are better than the zerker player because they were the only one up with 10% remaining and they finished the boss, meanwhile if they were zerker themselves the boss would of been dead that much quicker and no one would have died.

Though so long as you aren’t a detriment in non-raid environments, you can be carried so meh on the kicking. I have never kicked someone because of DPS, though I have kicked people for lying more than anything (joining an exp group and not being exp and not saying anything). Man do I hate liars more than I hate bad DPS.

TLDR: I find DPS meters to be a tool that can help improve ones game play (BGDM does track boons/scholar/seaweed salad uptime so useful for supports as well).

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

They are allowing dps meters now? Whelp then that decides it then I won’t be buying their next expac.

The community was already starting to get too many toxic players and this is the last nail in the coffin for the gw 2 they used to be.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

getting back on topic some of us want dps meters blocked .and shut down fully . and do not need to use dps meters at all . that is the part you will never get ever .

when dps meters was green lite in this game . that was when it was yet another bad
choice made and another nail in the coffin. and you sure do not need to use dps
meters in pve pvp or wvw . and you do not need them in raids there is just no need for these which that can lead to letting hackers tools be used not one so ever

no new system upgrades coming

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Kerivek.5740

Kerivek.5740

The whole DPS meters cause toxicity thing is a fallacy. Meters are a tool and blaming the tool is not the answer. Well before DPS meters were a thing people still got insulted and/or kicked from groups for a perceived lack of skill, poor performance, unoptimized builds and a number of other reasons. Toxic players exist with or without DPS meters.

Blocking dps meters

Miku.6297

The whole DPS meters cause toxicity thing is a fallacy. Meters are a tool and blaming the tool is not the answer. Well before DPS meters were a thing people still got insulted and/or kicked from groups for a perceived lack of skill, poor performance, unoptimized builds and a number of other reasons. Toxic players exist with or without DPS meters.

So you disagree that DPS meters could cause a player that others deem not “good” enough to be treated poorly/excluded etc?

While it’s true the mentality and attitude associated with toxic behavior is not created by DPS meters, the meter can be used as a tool to promote it.

Yes a DPS meter also has positive uses, I simply disagree that DPS meters are 100% innocent and do not cause or help create a toxic environment.

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: MikeyGrey.2496

MikeyGrey.2496

In my experience, an individual may be nice but people in general are kittenholes… always were and always will be. Its not like ANet tapped into some previously unknown politeness well; game mechanics enforced cooperation. Now that there is conflict, people will use anything and everything to further their cause. In the right hands, DPS meters are amazing; in the wrong hands they are enabling.
I would suggest ANet come up with their own official in-game meter. That way they can better control its influence by what is shown to who and where it is used.

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind

(edited by MikeyGrey.2496)

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

So you disagree that DPS meters could cause a player that others deem not “good” enough to be treated poorly/excluded etc?

While it’s true the mentality and attitude associated with toxic behavior is not created by DPS meters, the meter can be used as a tool to promote it.

Yes a DPS meter also has positive uses, I simply disagree that DPS meters are 100% innocent and do not cause or help create a toxic environment.

I mean they can do the same with AP or kill proof pings or etc to “prove” people aren’t good enough and kick them. At least with a DPS meter there is actual useful information instead of some poor random guy getting kicked cuz the commander didn’t like the way his armor looked or something.

Pretty sure most people only run DPS meters in raids which are the end game content that provides most challenge when it comes to PvE. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with demanding all 10 players be somewhat on point when it comes to DPS/Mechanics since you’d just waste 9 other peoples time by sucking.

In the end if you’re really being kicked for being low DPS in raids either you need to shape up and realize you’re not that great OR the commander is an idiot who kicked you for low DPS on Magi druid in which case, you got lucky because the group is probably trash.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Blocking dps meters

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I won’t kick anyone unless the dps is truly a liability or the player is not paying attention to mechanics. While dps meters are useful, unfortunately they have sown how bad so many people are with their dps outputs. People are coming no where near to the numbers that their classes can do. Like I consistently see ele’s that come in 8k. That is not acceptable and means you are getting other players to carry you.

People need to make sure their builds are optimised, have the right gear and food and most importantly know their rotations. If you just want to go in and have fun, that’s fine; but if you want to one shot and move on, people need to work together.