Boring races

Boring races

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sean.6058

sean.6058

Does anyone else think we need a good 2-3 more races in this game? The current selection for a guy who wants to play as a cool looking MALE in this game is pitiful. If you like playing as the typical pretty female, then you’re probably fine. But for those of us who like playing as a rugged adventurer, we don’t have many options. Here’s what I think of the current races from a MALE perspective:

Charr are too fat and look downright ridiculous. If they looked more like their concept art then more people might take them seriously. But they look weird in armor. Maybe they should be redesigned to appear more athletic and toned?

Humans are too pretty. I don’t want to play a thief who looks like he part time’s as an A&F model. I want a battle hardened, ugly thief who looks suspicious and untrustworthy. Too bad I can either make a soft looking drag queen or a polished pretty boy. More options, please.

Sylvari are actually ok and I don’t have too many issues with them. They look good in armor for the most part and have a couple of solid face options. But even then some of the faces are too girly and soft. Where is my “desecrated by fire” face option? Why is there literally zero variation or experimentation here? You’re supposed to have fun with unique races.

Norn are what humans should look like. I play as a Norn because they look like manly men. I made a Norn with long, unkempt hair and giant mutton chops/a braided beard. They have good stern but not model-like faces. This is a solid race.

Asura are so stupid I’m not even going to bother.

So, PLEASE, can we get some more options going? At the very least?

(edited by sean.6058)

Boring races

Posted by: DoIKnowYou.3896

DoIKnowYou.3896

Um,
We have humans as refugees
We have plant people that are technically minions of a dragon that players can play
We have giant cats that explode things
We have tiny smart people who are SOOO cute
We have giant animal/spirit worshipping humans who are really cool

I think we’re good for now. But tengu would be great!

ALSO: The human male models do look mainly. I have an engi who looks amazing and rough). Maybe experiment with the different hair/facial/eye options?

Active Gw2 member who is ready to venture into the jungle! :)

Boring races

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

How dare you. #Charr is love Charr is life.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Boring races

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Hmm I actually like the races we have… I would rather see major additions and balance changes than a new race…. Unless it’s QUAGGAN

Boring races

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

iirc, the faces are so pretty because the storyline starts out as the character leaving the city as a young adult and setting out in the world to make their way. So, ANet made a lot of young, pretty faces. (Most especially the female human faces).

But it’s been 2 1/2 years now. I think it would be wonderful if they put old, seasoned, scarred faces in the makeover kits.

Our chars aren’t those young kids anymore and their faces should reflect the fact they’ve grown up and done things.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Boring races

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

The races are in a pretty good place, we just need more options for customization. I would also like to see a few more practical looking hairstyles for humans, maybe some tattoos and battle scarring.

Norn males do have proper options for faces, but their proportions are just too grotesque and ape-like for my tastes. The women are perfect, though.

Boring races

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Bookah made thread, should be the warning on the top of this article. I honestly have no issues with the rest of the inferior races in Tyria, as they serve as very useful test subjects and disposable krew members. Those that dislike members of Tyria might not find Tyria to be a place of home and might just want to go somewhere else?

Boring races

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

There’s already ugly faces in the game (like that male charr face with the serious underbite, or the female one with the messed up eye and broken teeth), but I’ve only ever seen them on NPCs.

Boring races

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

On the converse, I dislike games where I’m forced to play a 7’, muscular, lumbering brute with scars everywhere and a choice of three hairstyles. I’d gladly accept more customisation for our current races and stuff that makes sense (tengu, largos – maybe restrict the latter somehow though).

Boring races

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

I want to see more rugged/ugly FEMALE faces too! More variety! Less “faces” that are just makeup variations!

This thread needs to be retitled though- “No more pretty boys & skinnier cats pls”
(you know there are skinny charr right?)

Attachments:

Boring races

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

My Charr is fat?

Attachments:

Boring races

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

My Charr is fat?

Na, that Charr is phat! with a ‘ph’. Ripe living it up in the circle of life….

Boring races

Posted by: Nox Lucis.8341

Nox Lucis.8341

I’m just glad they don’t fall back on the usual high fantasy cliches as do most RPGs and invented some original creatures. Humans have enough options as far as I’m concerned, because I was able to make a photo-realistic representation of my own face on my human engie. All I need to do is bring up my engie, call someone over, look at them while turning the screen to face them, and I can get the most satisfying WTF reaction out of people.

Boring races

Posted by: Steeldragon.7308

Steeldragon.7308

Well, you bothered to post that you feel they are stupid. In fact, you bothered enough to post what I see as one of the most childish rants here.

To each their own, I guess.

Boring races

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Asura would have been great (imo) if their height slider was the same as a human.
Charr should be redesigned. Hunchback mutant from TMNT.
Norn height slider at minimum is human to me.
Human male are…pretty/anime.

Tengu and Centaur please!

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Boring races

Leo G.4501

Asura would have been great (imo) if their height slider was the same as a human.

I’m sorry, but I can’t help but lol at some of the reasons people mention they dislike a certain character type.

From above, it’s basically:

“I don’t like Asura because they are short!”
hmm, they aren’t the first race type distinguished by being diminutive (Gnomes, Dwarves, Hobbits, etc). But shortness isn’t even their major defining feature!

“I don’t like Charr because they don’t stand like humans!”
I’ll just leave that statement at that lol

“Human males are too pretty!”
I’m sure options exists for a reason. Just pick the non-pretty face.

Boring races

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

While indeed human male faces tend to be on the prettier side of the spectrum, you should know that there are sliders after you have chosen a face that allow you to alter it significantly and in every detail. You should try playing with those, you might find what you’re looking for.

Boring races

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

Well not every class will be adjusted to what you just want, that makes no sense. This game has to appeal to everyone.
Want a cute quirky little thing? Asura.
Want manly man or just a big kitten woman? Norn
Want an animal? Charr. Although I wish they made them cooler because in the character creation screen where you see silhoutes they looked SO much more bad kitten . I feel like they don’t get enough love. They look the best as engineers tho
Want a good looking and aesthetic person? Human.
Want something similar to a human, but much more unique and not as focused on looking like a pretty boy/girl? Sylvari.

Different people want different things

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

Boring races

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I’m sorry, but I can’t help but lol at some of the reasons people mention they dislike a certain character type.

From above, it’s basically:

“I don’t like Asura because they are short!”
hmm, they aren’t the first race type distinguished by being diminutive (Gnomes, Dwarves, Hobbits, etc). But shortness isn’t even their major defining feature!

“I don’t like Charr because they don’t stand like humans!”
I’ll just leave that statement at that lol

“Human males are too pretty!”
I’m sure options exists for a reason. Just pick the non-pretty face.

Asura I can’t see armor/weapons in a heavily cosmetic oriented game.
Charr are a mess of clipping issues.
Human male face features are not the only reason, I find their running and animations feminine.

I don’t play any of those races, and have no plans to do so…and If you’re unaware players will have different opinions.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Boring races

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Charr aren’t fat, they’re just cat-shaped.

I’ve seen some less pretty-looking human males, so apparently it is possible, if you experiment with the sliders.

Probably the problem you’re having is that this game isn’t 100% conventionally masculine, like some games are (or seem to strive to be).

I mean, look around you, it’s not solely aimed at your totally typical, average male gamer, is it?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Boring races

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

I don’t think we need any other races. (I only play Human’s anyway.) Some more style options would be just swell, but in the other direction. Right now a lot of the male human style options are pathetically limited. Since I have 6 male humans! It becomes a challenge to make them all look different.

You can alter faces a bit, so I think we’re solid there, but come on with the hair! Most of the hair options are either just horridly bad. Enough with the afros and scroll cuts in fantasy games please; they shouldn’t even have clippers! And the others are just very VERY poorly executed. It’s not to much to ask that hair look like hair right?!

But the OP is right that charr armor looks awful! I would never turn a helmet to visual if I played a charr. (I did try, but couldn’t stand the way he walked!)

If Anet were to introduce another race, I think we should see some playable Dwarfs! Dwarfs are always fun to style, and they usually look good in armor.

Boring races

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

We have tiny smart people who are SOOO cute

Until they open their mouths… those teeth…

Hmm I actually like the races we have… I would rather see major additions and balance changes than a new race…. Unless it’s QUAGGAN

Oh we need Quaggans! Just imagine if the Pack had a Quaggan commander! If a Quaggan was the one who killed Zhaitan and Scarlet!
ANet makes this happen, PLEASE!

On the converse, I dislike games where I’m forced to play a 7’, muscular, lumbering brute with scars everywhere

So basically Norn then :P

Boring races

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Sounds like you want more face and body options…not new races.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Boring races

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

To be honest, I think GW2 races are more interesting than in most games I’ve seen. A lot of MMO’s just have humanoid races and the greatest deviations tend to be either smaller looking humans, taller looking humans, or humans with bushy animal tails and ears.

At least the races in GW2 are clearly distinct from each other in build, culture and style. Especially the Sylvari, I haven’t seen anything like them in any other game I’ve seen. I’m glad they deviated from the typical “elf” race and made something more unique.

As for your complaint about wanting more rugged appearances, some of the human male faces do indeed look rugged, or downright ugly. I’ve seen faces that look old, scarred or sinister. I’ve even seen Norn females with a more rugged, scarred face. I’d actually say it’s human females, not males, who are more bottlenecked in this regard, because there are no rugged looking human female faces that I can recall.

Still, it goes without saying that more variety is always welcome. I wouldn’t mind if we had separate sliders for adding scars to our characters, kinda like how we can add facial hair. It would be better than only having a few odd faces that come with scars as a default, while the rest have none. At least that way we can choose a face we like and then add scars or remove them as we please, rather than making a choice based solely on whether the scars simply exist or not.

As for more races… well that’s a tricky one. A lot of people ask for Tengu but I’m personally not that keen for them. As it is already, ANet had a lot of issues with armour clipping for charr. Now imagine a race that has an even more odd model shape, with beaks, feathers and strangely shaped, talon-like legs. If they did add new races, I’d actually prefer it if it was something we haven’t seen yet, or at least a more mysterious race like the Largos (the idea of an underwater starting city deep in the ocean seems interesting to me). The Largos are also more humanoid than the Tengu and would be easier to make armour for, without as many clipping issues.

Boring races

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Why do people always project their own opinion to others and make it a general rule? It’s a matter of taste, I like all the races we can play.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Boring races

Leo G.4501

I don’t play any of those races, and have no plans to do so…and If you’re unaware players will have different opinions.

So are you telling me I can’t laugh at your opinions?

As for your updated list, as a player, I hardly sit there and admire armor during combat and if I want to admire the armor on my Asura (which I often do) there’s a neat little scroll feature I like to use. They even improved camera use a bit so I can get great full-body views of my characters!

The Charr beast stance and clipping hardly have anything to do with each other so I’ll assume those are 2 separate reasons to dislike them. No biggie.

And human faces…most people wear masks and stuff anyway. There’s also those warpaint face dealies in the gem store which look pretty close to scars. More options wouldn’t hurt though.

But all in all, lol it sounds like you just have a preferred race (the Norn). Why not just play that and leave the rest alone (which I guess you do)? That’s more a question for the general audience. If the race isn’t your cup of tea, then let it be. I (and the players that appreciate the races’ different qualities) would likely not favor making all the races closer to human (or worse…Norn ~shutters~). For me, and even though I have an Asura max slider and mess around trying to make him taller, I wouldn’t want Asura to get any taller than they are (btw, the Asura in question comes about chest height to most female humans which seems very much taller than I thought the race could be). And I wouldn’t want my Charr being horned/eared/tailed human clones. Beyond clipping (which is a horrible epidemic for every race in this game), Charr are perfect the way they are.

Boring races

Posted by: Torenn.2598

Torenn.2598

All my human male characters have the shoulder length hair with the long beard. I think it looks pretty good, so long as you hide your helm. I can probably count the number of decent looking helms in MMOs on one hand anyway, so that’s not a huge deal for me. The beard tends to clip through a lot of armor at the neckline though, which sucks. If I could play a Dwarf with a beard, I’d be all over that.

Boring races

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I just want to see Charrs that stand upright.

Other than that all we need is Sylvari. With that in mind just adding new faces/hair is better than adding new races.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Boring races

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

We need new Races Koda and Scritt!

Asuras are not stupid!

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

(edited by Haralin.1473)

Boring races

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

We need new Races Koda and Scritt!

Asuras are not stubid!

Waste of time to make them a new race. They could easily just add a ‘watchknight’ style tonic of them~ then they’d just need to link some of the the human animation to them.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Boring races

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

There are pretty faces, and there are less pretty faces. There are also many body types. There are options, as there should be. Unfortunately the OP is apparently the type that feels that if his specific personal preference isn’t exactly met, then the whole thing is flawed and needs to be overhauled.

Sorry that you only enjoy gazing at beefcake and tree bark. Some of us enjoy all the other options, so ANet is covered.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Boring races

Posted by: fissidens.7530

fissidens.7530

I don’t think there’s really a need for more races. Although I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t be excited if a new race was released.

I do think the human(especially male) customization would really benefit from some more face/hair/facial hair options. Most of the human facial hair options are just variants of a goatee or 5-o’clock shadow.

Boring races

Posted by: Ragnar.1546

Ragnar.1546

IMO

Norn faces in the makeover kits should be more brutal looking than chiseled human faces.

Charr should just have better armor options I love my charr.

Sylvari have horrendous animations and a horrible voice. Outside of that they are cool in the sense that you have a lot of options during creation.

Asura… Not too much of an opinion here. But I’m not big on their voice.

Human… Meh. I like playing beast races personally so I find humans boring.

I think adding more voice options would help vary the feel of the race/character. I’ve generally been ok with my Norn as they and Charr are my favorite races to play I still think the Norns should appear more brutal and scarred. After all they have the stature for it. I don’t play females so all of that is male based.

Edit: I would be up for a new beast race for sure. But something creative; the Tengu I find are a bad option despite the overall general love for them.

(edited by Ragnar.1546)

Boring races

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Mursaat should definitely be a playable race

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Boring races

Posted by: Um Abbas.5693

Um Abbas.5693

I don’t feel girly

But I agree, whenever I’ve tried to create a decent looking man (from a female pov), I couldn’t it’s 99% clean shaven boy faces with milk dripping off their chin still.
Rugged, older and manly should be more of an option without paying. (Or even with paying if you must!)

Attachments:

Midget Gadget * Branch of Wood
Aurora Glade ~ Army of Forgotten Souls miniguild [AoFS]
http://umabbas.net/

Boring races

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

You know…I like the races.
I’d love more options for some of the females some races (more scars, blind eyes, face tatoos for norn, so that not almost every norn woman wears eirs tattoos), but generally you’ve got somthing for every taste.

I’d love to have some more formfitting and less “bulky” armor pieces for the guys though. like…with no “skirt”, cape or coat above their hips…makes them look like they’ve got some broad child-bearing hips…not what i want for my charakter.

Boring races

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Personally, I don’t find the races boring at all. I’m not against having more customization options for them; though, I think the OP is mildly delusional / insane.

Asura are stupid? Eh? I love my little hairless Stitch cousins, they are intended to be a diminutive race. Their egos more than make up for lack of stature.

Charr are too fat? Uh.. I’ve seen some downright emaciated lookin kitties running around the world during my gaming times. No clue what you’re talking about there.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Boring races

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

with A.net .. forget it about the Tengu ….

If the trend continues .. we will get the Unicorns as the new playable race.

Boring races

Posted by: hrasna.3017

hrasna.3017

most Norn look suspiciously like Santa.

I’m not Racist, but those sylvari all look the same to me.

Humans are pretty configurable if you find a Total Makeover Kit, because you get more of the rugged features in that thing.

Charr, I tried. I really tried. I just hate how they all have such bad posture. Hurts my old back just watching them.

Asura. sure. I have one. I keep a full faced helmet on his ugly mug at all times. I just can’t make one that looks decent.

My daughter spent TWO HOURS fiddling with the new character face-maker part, and got what she wanted finally, so maybe that’s the answer for us.

-Chris

Boring races

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

My Charr is fat?

Lmao….your chars got the “WTf?” Expression…

Boring races

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I don’t feel girly

But I agree, whenever I’ve tried to create a decent looking man (from a female pov), I couldn’t it’s 99% clean shaven boy faces with milk dripping off their chin still.
Rugged, older and manly should be more of an option without paying. (Or even with paying if you must!)

Using the slider that lowers the jaw and makes a longer face may help with that.

Boring races

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

I love the races in the game. More races would never hurt as more is always better, but what we have is very nice.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Boring races

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I don’t feel girly

Using the slider that lowers the jaw and makes a longer face may help with that.

Yeah and/or the one that makes a broader jaw and maybe even the one that gives a slight underbite (when viewed from the side).

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Boring races

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I certainly vote for a greater variety of faces and bodies, especially for humans. I added a new account with the sale and got to where I only picked the basic look and didn’t customize them at all.

Someone posted previously about a “randomize option” that would go through, make choices, and present you with a finished look. You could then accept or “reroll” for another look. I think that would be a nice feature even with the options at hand. Perhaps with sliders to how extreme you are willing for the settings to go. Could go one step further, and make that the starting point for customizing.

Boring races

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

When I read this thread’s title, I thought it said “boning”. The contents of this thread have left me disappointed.

Boring races

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’m a Sylvari man mahself, but my human seems pretty rugged to me.

Attachments:

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Boring races

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

I agree. The races in this game are boring…

Norns = Humans.
Sylvari are just green humans…

The only interesting races are Charrs and Asura, because of their less-so humanoid appearance.

I’d love to see a whole diverse race like stick-insects or kittening jelly-fish like creatures, ANYTHING.

Boring races

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The only 3 additional races we may need are tengu, largos, and maybe, just maybe, whatever Razah was, as long as the character slot cap goes over 64, so players can still make all race-profession combinations. Otherwise just tengu and largos.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Boring races

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

The only 3 additional races we may need are tengu, largos, and maybe, just maybe, whatever Razah was, as long as the character slot cap goes over 64, so players can still make all race-profession combinations. Otherwise just tengu and largos.

Tengu = Charr
Largos are just humans with permanent wings.

Boring races

Posted by: lokikron.6705

lokikron.6705

Quaggan and Skritt are the races I most want to play.

Shiny shiny! Coooooooo!