Bots work around it, Players deal with it.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bigtime.7410

bigtime.7410

Im getting sick of it. All the things that make this game annoying are aimed at bots but instead kitten off real players like me.

DRM

does a bot really care? no itll just bot 24/7

Targetting

I still cant target what I want when I want?

do bots care? no they’ll work around it

Portals

I cant press alt, and even get the name of a portal to show up. I have to walk right up to it.

Anti bot messasure? Of course it is.

It seems Anet tried really hard to kitten off bot makers, they didnt, they gave them a new challenge and they’re having fun making better bots.
But the player is left to deal with so many unfriendly game design elements designed to stop botters.

Whos with me?! Ive had enough!!

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

i agree. diminishing returns doesn’t really affect something that’s not a real person.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It’s generally used to stop piracy, not bots. The counter measures used by the dev team make it harder to bot. The reports that people give make it harder to bot. Believe it or not there has been a drastic decrease in bots, and I believe it’s because of the dev teams efforts in this regard. If I must suffer through a few months of a few side effects that don’t break the game for me in order to have a stable game down the road, I am more than happy to.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

They could just let it go, like Blizzard with WoW who does not even care about bots…

I don’t see much solutions ;
DRM → Players have less money → Economy adapts → Bots are happy
Banning bots → Players unfairly banned → Bots keep coming back

IMO they should just stop selling gold and let the gold sellers do what they will do anyway (no I’m not one of them xD just a realistic guy)

Posted by: bigtime.7410

bigtime.7410

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. It’s generally used to stop piracy, not bots. The counter measures used by the dev team make it harder to bot. The reports that people give make it harder to bot. Believe it or not there has been a drastic decrease in bots, and I believe it’s because of the dev teams efforts in this regard. If I must suffer through a few months of a few side effects that don’t break the game for me in order to have a stable game down the road, I am more than happy to.

Thanks for the explanation. I meant to say diminished returns. I dont even care about that. I play for the experience and whats ever more bothering is all the things put in this game or should I say taken out , things that made life convenient are absent in this game for 1 reason. Anit-Bot measures.

The targetting is never predictable, Movement is clunky, what happened to autorun to target? playing meele is a pain in the kitten with keyboard. This game would never pass console standard on movement alone, thanks to anti bot measures. Even the portal names to the different starter areas in lions arch dont show up unless youre 1 step from entering it … why? why am i forced to walk up each one too see the name? is it because of the imfamous beetletun botters youd see in guild wars 1 autoruning to the town sign to exit? Seriosuly, did anet think they’d end all bots with this one or what?

Did someone really think that removing elements that made video gaming more intuitive and less cumbersome would end botters for good? laughs wow

(edited by bigtime.7410)

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

DR is used to extend the “gameplay experience” under the guise of deterring bots.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: DandySlayer.7019

DandySlayer.7019

By drastic decrease in bots he means drastic decrease in VISIBLE bots. They are all under the map now and days :/

killcannon.2576

By drastic decrease in bots he means drastic decrease in VISIBLE bots. They are all under the map now and days :/

No, I meant a drastic decrease in bots. But thanks for trying to reinterpret my statement.

DandySlayer.7019

Just trying to correct you

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

DR is used to extend the “gameplay experience” under the guise of deterring bots.

DR is great for the game. It’s not there to stop bots. No, it’s there to stop something far, far worse: grinders, farmers, addicts and exploiters.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

DandySlayer.7019

DR is great for the game. It’s not there to stop bots. No, it’s there to stop something far, far worse: grinders, farmers, addicts and exploiters.

Its also great for Anet’s bank account!

Erasculio.2914

Its also great for Anet’s bank account!

So your argument is that ArenaNet was creating inconvenience (the DR system) to sell convenience (gold) in the gem store?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

DandySlayer.7019

For the most part yea.
Or thats what DR has lead me to believe :/

Posted by: AwwGee.5628

AwwGee.5628

Even the portal names to the different starter areas in lions arch dont show up unless youre 1 step from entering it …

And here I was thinking you were talking about mesmer portals.

Those are Asura Gates, using the proper name might help to not confuse some of us. And they have their respective races standing at the entrance of the portal… See 2 Norn or Sylvari just standing in front of the portal… yeah those lead to their starting areas.

Diminishing returns on loot is not intended to affect the average player
Dungeons use a more aggressive DR system

Seeing that the DR for dungeons only triggers when you run the same path consecutively and/or in under 30 minutes, you can safely say that a similar, less strict ruling applies to specific events or specific mob types.

If you’re playing the game like Anet wants you to be doing i.e. Moving on to new content after completing 1, instead of farming 1 event or 1 dungeon path for hours on end, there should be no problem at all.

Of course the bots don’t care. But this dramatically slows down their ability to impact the economy.

No idea what you mean by targeting btw, mind explaining?

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Funny you mention that… DRM does the same thing for legitimate users vs pirates that DR does for legitimate users vs bots.

killcannon.2576

Funny you mention that… DRM does the same thing for legitimate users vs pirates that DR does for legitimate users vs bots.

I agree, DR should be removed. Especially now that we no longer see the Ranger trains as much.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

I agree, DR should be removed. Especially now that we no longer see the Ranger trains as much.

It’s already been stated in here but DR was never meant for bots, any regular joe could see DR would never work against programmers who will simply create their bots around DR just like people did back in Diablo 2 with realm down.

I knew this from the start, it’s ANets version of raid lock, a “you can stop playing now.” mechanic. I much prefer the GW1 system where it told me to please take a break every hour for health reasons… now they pretty much force you to, even if you are healthy and just want to have a heavy gaming session.

It’s very nazi imo. Really bothers me that people are ok with this… I should not get reduced rewards because I play longer or farm a certain area for long periods of time. It’s a freaking MMO, farming is inevitable. How do they not understand this?

Now before someone tells me hurr DR was in GW1, it wasn’t even noticeable unless you were repeating the same boss for hours for elite tomes or whatever. Plus moving on from an area immediately stopped it, or that’s what it seemed like because I never got reduced drops there. I actually don’t think I ever hit DR. It truly only affected bots afaik.

Never even heard of someone complaining about it, not on the guru forums or in-game.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

(edited by Rukia.4802)

Posted by: whipplerama.3692

whipplerama.3692

If you’re playing the game like Anet wants you to be doing i.e. Moving on to new content after completing 1, instead of farming 1 event or 1 dungeon path for hours on end, there should be no problem at all.

Nice in theory, but definitely not what’s happening.

They must have taken my marbles away.
But they gave me plenty of porous bones to compensate.

DandySlayer.7019

It’s already been stated in here but DR was never meant for bots, any regular joe could see DR would never work against programmers who will simply create their bots around DR just like people did back in Diablo 2 with realm down.

Exactly now the bots just move under the zone and travel to different gathering nodes.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Nice in theory, but definitely not what’s happening.

Everyone is in fractals, ANet clearly doesn’t want us out in between events, if Orr farms weren’t nerfed into oblivion and DR set in so fast maybe we would be but this is fractal wars now.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Erasculio.2914

For the most part yea.

And that doesn’t make any sense. If ArenaNet were really interested in creating inconvenience to sell convenience, there are many other things they would have done; and more importantly, many things they would not have done.

They would:

• Not give items from the in-game store for free as in-game rewards. Having transformation stones available in the world as rewards from different sources removes one reason players would have to buy gems.
  • Not have the “Deposit collectibles” feature in inventory. This would make players need more inventory space and thus make more players buy bag slots.
  • Not have added the ability of using crafting stations as banks, or of crafting directly with items stored in the bank. This made people less willing to buy the items that allow players to access the bank from anywhere.
  • Not have added the new collectible tab in the bank, basically giving people more free storage, since this (rather obviously) makes people less likely to buy more bank space.
  • Not make people capable of buying gems with gold.

And so on, and so on.

ArenaNet is not making inconvenience to sell convenience. The DR system is not a plot to “force” players to buy gold from the in-game store. In reality, it’s a system designed to prevent grinders from running rampant, as they do in every other MMO. It’s a great thing that ArenaNet was brave enough to take a stand against grinders, even if they took some steps back when they added Fractals. They need to add more features like DR, not remove it.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

What’s wrong with grinding again? Isn’t it something a player actually has to WORK to achieve? Or should people be shoehorned into playing a certain way? If a guy spends 4 hours of his life grinding karkas per day, then I don’t have a problem if he gets rich doing so, since he puts in the work.

DandySlayer.7019

What’s wrong with grinding again? Isn’t it something a player actually has to WORK to achieve? Or should people be shoehorned into playing a certain way? If a guy spends 4 hours of his life grinding karkas per day, then I don’t have a problem if he gets rich doing so, since he puts in the work.

Agreed. Its nice to have the option to do that and get my own materials without having to even glance at the TP.

Posted by: Lazarus.1083

Lazarus.1083

For the most part yea.

And that doesn’t make any sense. If ArenaNet were really interested in creating inconvenience to sell convenience, there are many other things they would have done; and more importantly, many things they would not have done.

They would:

• Not give items from the in-game store for free as in-game rewards. Having transformation stones available in the world as rewards from different sources removes one reason players would have to buy gems.
  • Not have the “Deposit collectibles” feature in inventory. This would make players need more inventory space and thus make more players buy bag slots.
  • Not have added the ability of using crafting stations as banks, or of crafting directly with items stored in the bank. This made people less willing to buy the items that allow players to access the bank from anywhere.
  • Not have added the new collectible tab in the bank, basically giving people more free storage, since this (rather obviously) makes people less likely to buy more bank space.
  • Not make people capable of buying gems with gold.

And so on, and so on.

ArenaNet is not making inconvenience to sell convenience. The DR system is not a plot to “force” players to buy gold from the in-game store. In reality, it’s a system designed to prevent grinders from running rampant, as they do in every other MMO. It’s a great thing that ArenaNet was brave enough to take a stand against grinders, even if they took some steps back when they added Fractals. They need to add more features like DR, not remove it.

Umm.. all those features were there before DR was implemented and before you know who started running the show, since then the all mighty gold piece is harder to get, and gem to gold conversion profitable .
You can honestly say that grinding isn’t wanted?? How about non existant (extremely rare) drops for items to say craft Legendarys? Or fractal items, crafting mats, in game currency (Gold)?
Hmmm….You think that’s air you’re breathing??

DandySlayer.7019

Hmmm….You think that’s air you’re breathing??

Nice Matrix quote!

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

Funny thing about bots, Anet waits to ban bots until a certain date, so they can ban them all at once, so they can’t trace the reason why they got banned (i mean, what gave them away). BUT: because they are waiting with bans for a few days, the bots can actually make more than enough money to sell the gold, buy a new account and still have lots of profit.

Erasculio.2914

Umm.. all those features were there before DR was implemented and before you know who started running the show

The extra tab in storage was added in the last big update… I’m breathing air, but I wish I knew what are you smoking. Those conspiracy theories just don’t cut it.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

who is the guy buying from gold sellers?

ban those also

Posted by: Hadson.5024

Hadson.5024

So once again why should my reward be bad if i actually like this exact event chain and want to repeat it once\twice\9k times?

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

DR serves no purpose other than stopping players doing what they want to play as content…and forcing them to go do something else instead, stop playing completely or just quit the game.

It’s not about botters it’s about making it harder to make gold so everyone goes to the gem store. Anet your full of bullkitten.

Want to do many runs of one dungeon..sorry no your not allowed.

What to farm in the same areas….sorry no your not allowed….

Want to repeat jumping puzzles…sorry no your not allowed….

Want to do anything that makes decent money or is something you enjoy more than once….sorry no your alot allowed to do that….

DR = Worst game mechanic in MMO history, it does not stop bots, it just stops us making decent gold so it pushes the players towards the gem store.

Players get punished for playing the game while botters are not banned for months on end….players get punished for playing the game, genius!!!

(edited by TRON.1085)

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I created a new character today. It was a Norn. When I reached the worm pit area to kill the big blue worm I just stood there and pressed auto attack once. The worm died.
My hands weren’t even on my keyboard and mouse.

The point that I’m trying to make here is that it doesn’t take any human intelligence to kill NPCs in GW2. A robot could do it.

Erasculio.2914

When I reached the worm pit area to kill the big blue worm I just stood there and pressed auto attack once. The worm died.

The point that I’m trying to make here is that it doesn’t take any human intelligence to kill NPCs in GW2. A robot could do it.

Nice to see other people killed the NPC for you. It’s a great beginning to be carried by others starting in the tutorial zone.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

When I reached the worm pit area to kill the big blue worm I just stood there and pressed auto attack once. The worm died.

Nice to see other people killed the NPC for you. It’s a great beginning to be carried by others starting in the tutorial zone.

What? You can literally auto-attack that worm to death. It does pretty much nothing to you other than a knockdown.

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Well, it’s a starting boss. You can’t just stand there and auto-attack high level stuff.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

If grinders and farmers are the enemy people need to stop complaining about tp prices because guess what its the farmers and people that enjoy grinding mobs that usually help keep prices low.

plasmacutter.2709

If grinders and farmers are the enemy people need to stop complaining about tp prices because guess what its the farmers and people that enjoy grinding mobs that usually help keep prices low.

I’ll support that when I can get foefire’s essence for under 15g like the rest of the exotics. ¬.¬

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I love DR because it allows me, someone who plays the game to have fun, not to make money, to have a reasonable amount of money. In 800h+ of GW2 playtime I’ve never encountered it, so this mean it affects only people that are after a quick buck and just repeating over and over and over again whatever currently gives more g/h. If we had no DR everyone would be repeating CoF/AC non stop all day erryday making tons of gold while I’d be stuck with barely anything since I want challenge and run high level fracs/Arah/WvW.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

plasmacutter.2709

I love DR because it allows me, someone who plays the game to have fun, not to make money, to have a reasonable amount of money. In 800h+ of GW2 playtime I’ve never encountered it, so this mean it affects only people that are after a quick buck and just repeating over and over and over again whatever currently gives more g/h. If we had no DR everyone would be repeating CoF/AC non stop all day erryday making tons of gold while I’d be stuck with barely anything since I want challenge and run high level fracs/Arah/WvW.

Debating whether you’re being facetious or not.

You spend your time in FOTM, the only place left in the game where DR does not “stick” to accounts.

Anyone who does not do this makes jacksquat for gold and gets perhaps one rare in 15 hours of play.

It seems FOTM is “required” to remove DR from accounts now, because I haven’t done one notice the only people who have terrible drops are the ones that don’t periodically enter FOTM.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I spend -part- of my time in FOTM. I also level up an alt, do WvW, SPvP and sometimes Arah.

As I’ve said, the best ways to make gold , dungeon-wise, are AC and CoF. In the 1.5-2h it takes for me to complete a lv 30 fractal, you can run with almost no effort 4 paths in those dungeons and walk out with 2g+ and a bunch of guaranteed yellows from the tokens. So, as far as fast gold making goes, it is widely known that AC & COF > FOTM, I don’t see your argument.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Completely agree. DR is definitely THE key reason why I haven’t logged in for weeks. (Been talking to people in guild to let them know I’m floating in the ether watching what happens next). The system is antiquated and as I stated before DR never harmed bots in the past when used on mmo’s all it did was scare off legit players so one can only guess at the alterior motive for it’s continued and uninterrupted use.

The scripting for teleports is weak so bots are not only able to teleport between nodes at will but they can also teleport run poof poof poof poof poof meanwhile legit players have to travel the old fashioned way, come spend your hard earned copper to get to where you need or escape a hole where you’re stuck.

Those who don’t see the argument are missing the point.

This game was supposed to be all open world focused so saying you make your money in dungeons doesn’t fix the problems with both integrity and design of the game. The game was supposed to not harm the playerbase as they’ve stated multiple times (we love legit farmers) yet it continues to, and right after that statement they nerfed the final Dragon event that had any kind of reward. So essentially they not only did a 180 from their original plan they also were less then honest with us apparently. I’m watching to see what happens next, in the hopes someone there comes to their senses in the Jan/Feb/Mar patches and sets things back the way they were in open world.

Much more then Crowns are needed to set things right.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

The more grind a game has the more the game will have a problem with bots. Look at D3, the ultimate grind game.

Erasculio.2914

The game was supposed to not harm the playerbase as they’ve stated multiple times (we love legit farmers)

That was lip service. ArenaNet has stated over and over that they don’t want players to grind – which means, they actually punish people who grind. And I’m very happy with that.

Kromica.2831

I’ll support that when I can get foefire’s essence for under 15g like the rest of the exotics. ¬.¬

Well as long as we can’t farm prices stay high.

Posted by: chum.1892

chum.1892

DR would be fine if they told you when it kicks in. Like how hard would it be to have an icon with a timer to pop up saying DR -15% MF or something like that.

Not telling people when it kicks in or expires pisses people off, does nothing to bots, and punishes normal players for playing their game.

Erasculio.2914

It’s very cute to hear people saying how grinders are the heroes of the average player, spending their valuable time to keep prices low.

Unfortunatelly, that’s just a big, fat, orange kitten.

Grinders concentrate gold, and thus are capable of buying things at increased prices, making everything more expensive than it would have been without them. If grinders did not exist and players earned money only by playing the game normally, everyone would be able to afford everything, since there wouldn’t be such a huge gap between players with a lot of gold and players with significantly less gold.

Grinders, farmers, addicts and exploiters are all bad for the game. ArenaNet is culling them away, but of course the grinders cannot understand how is it possible that a MMO is not cattering to them.

Kromica.2831

The game was supposed to not harm the playerbase as they’ve stated multiple times (we love legit farmers)

That was lip service. ArenaNet has stated over and over that they don’t want players to grind – which means, they actually punish people who grind. And I’m very happy with that.

Because people that enjoy grinding are are so bad, I don’t understand you people.

Kromica.2831

It’s very cute to hear people saying how grinders are the heroes of the average player, spending their valuable time to keep prices low.

Grinders concentrate gold, and thus are capable of buying things at increased prices, making everything more expensive than it would have been without them. If grinders did not exist and players earned money only by playing the game normally, everyone would be able to afford everything, since there wouldn’t be such a huge gap between players with a lot of gold and players with significantly less gold.

Grinders, farmers, addicts and exploiters are all bad for the game. ArenaNet is culling them away, but of course the grinders cannot understand how is it possible that a MMO is not cattering to them.

Yea me wanting to grind for my own mats and sell things I don’t need to people to lazy to do it themselves is hurting you so much.

plasmacutter.2709

The problem is there is not enough inflation in this game.

Concentration of gold is just like concentration of money – it flows toward the top and into the hands of the “lender class” unless you encourage a certain amount of inflation by increasing supply to the bottom-end of the scale.

(example: you buy a house. At first, that mortgage payment is a hefty chunk of your income. As time goes by, you get ‘cost of living’ increases to your wage or otherwise advance. The house payment becomes less and less of an issue)

If they made the average person’s play more profitable in terms of gold, it would “water down” the purchasing power of people who have exploited snowflakes and godskull because their relative gold advantage would be diminished.

The number one thing they could do to harm this kind of concentration would be to patch-in that precursors are account-bound on pickup. Everyone who has focused on cornering the precursor market would immediately be out massive amounts of gold and be stuck with tons of financially worthless precursors.

After that, they could increase the supply of popular items to bring the price to sane levels.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

Agree. Not to mention the team responsable of attending bot reports is totally useless/in vacations, i have reported a bot a month ago, and hes still there farming lodestones at the ice map 24/7. He prolly bought 3 legendaries already.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

The problem is there is not enough inflation in this game.

Concentration of gold is just like concentration of money – it flows toward the top and into the hands of the “lender class” unless you encourage a certain amount of inflation by increasing supply to the bottom-end of the scale.

(example: you buy a house. At first, that mortgage payment is a hefty chunk of your income. As time goes by, you get ‘cost of living’ increases to your wage or otherwise advance. The house payment becomes less and less of an issue)

If they made the average person’s play more profitable in terms of gold, it would “water down” the purchasing power of people who have exploited snowflakes and godskull because their relative gold advantage would be diminished.

The number one thing they could do to harm this kind of concentration would be to patch-in that precursors are account-bound on pickup. Everyone who has focused on cornering the precursor market would immediately be out massive amounts of gold and be stuck with tons of financially worthless precursors.

After that, they could increase the supply of popular items to bring the price to sane levels.

/thread

Sadly I can’t see this happening.

Irony…. xD