Bracket locking and world completion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MattMesa.8401

MattMesa.8401

I’m an avid WvW player (commander tag and all) but due to the effectiveness of the rating system and what I call “point creep” many of us are stuck at 99% world completion.

If you are in one of the more competitive brackets it becomes near impossible for certain key points in different home color borderlands to be kept and held for any length. If you are not there at that random hour, you’re out of luck.

The rating system employed by anet is a wonderful system; it’s actually a system I’ve studied when finishing my undergrad in Finance and Econ (game theory) and it was applied beautifully to GW2. The only problem I’m starting to realize is sometimes things being “perfect” in MMO’s isn’t always advantageous in every situation.

Essentially my question is, are there any options being considered that would allow those of us that have been stuck at 99% world completion some recourse? I do not have any exact figures but I’ve spoken to and heard of people that have been stuck for very long periods of time waiting on a single vista. I know I’ve been waiting for (an estimate) around two to three months or so for four vistas.

I remember back in October/November people waiting a few weeks to complete there world completion which I don’t think is unreasonable; but, as glicko reinforces itself people now could be stuck waiting virtually endlessly.

This isn’t a complaint so much as a question of will this be addressed at some point? Will there be any other viable options presented? I finally took to the forums to ask because I’m meeting more and more people that are stuck at 99% and many of them are starting tell me that they have been waiting huge amounts of time.

Thanks in advance guys.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It may be that they are working on some kind of solution, but this has been discussed to death since the game started.

MattMesa.8401

It may be that they are working on some kind of solution, but this has been discussed to death since the game started.

Yeah that’s why I’m not complaining. I personally think the guy who adapted the model and implemented it did an absolutely BRILLIANT job of it. That’s where the catch-22 of the whole situation comes in, in my opinion. The model is working beautifully and may be, in my opinion, one of the finest implementations of a rating system I’ve seen in this type of environment – so what do you do?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you check the dev posts, and I believe the particular posts in question are in the WvW forum, you will see that they are working on a solution to move around the colors of the borderlands to enable gamers to achieve some of the goals with which they are having difficulties. Also some things to change the match-ups. I would post links, but it’s 4am here and I am off to some well-deserved rest. I think we won’t have to wait too much longer before we are pleasantly surprised. =)

MattMesa.8401

If you check the dev posts, and I believe the particular posts in question are in the WvW forum, you will see that they are working on a solution to move around the colors of the borderlands to enable gamers to achieve some of the goals with which they are having difficulties. Also some things to change the match-ups. I would post links, but it’s 4am here and I am off to some well-deserved rest. I think we won’t have to wait too much longer before we are pleasantly surprised. =)

Ah okay, thank you. I debated on whether or not to put this in WvW forum or General. I went with General because the specific issue is WvW but I figured map completion may be better placed here.

I had heard once before they were talking about rotating the colors but that was over a month ago so I wasn’t sure if there was news I was missing. Thanks for answers though guys. Hopefully us “99%’ers” can get that Gift of Exploration soon!

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I started playing during beta and my main had 99% until today. I refused to switch servers when it was free. It felt cheesy so I didn’t do it. I am hoping for color rotation in the near future, so I can get completion on other characters.
Being on Blackgate, it took forever for us to see a full color rotation.

And unless I am mistaken it is impossible to take the enemy’s spawn camp. Those are the hardest to get unless you have some sort of color rotation.
Believe me I did try to sneak in on multiple occasions and it doesn’t work.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I have personally skipped world completion entirely, knowing that I can’t accomplish anything unless I finish WvWvw first.

I wish they would change it, exploring is quite fun but its frustrating youll never complete It until you happen to explore WvWvW.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Yeah that’s why I’m not complaining. I personally think the guy who adapted the model and implemented it did an absolutely BRILLIANT job of it. That’s where the catch-22 of the whole situation comes in, in my opinion. The model is working beautifully and may be, in my opinion, one of the finest implementations of a rating system I’ve seen in this type of environment – so what do you do?

I hope you are joking there. The rating system is probably one of the worse part of WvW. Mismatched matchup that get locked into place for months hardly qualifies for “working beautifully”.

MattMesa.8401

I hope you are joking there. The rating system is probably one of the worse part of WvW. Mismatched matchup that get locked into place for months hardly qualifies for “working beautifully”.

It is working exactly as the system was designed; whether or not they should of chose a different methodology is a different issue. My hope is for a modification to allow people to finish completion.

http://www.glicko.net/glicko/glicko2.pdf

Posted by: crimsonbro.3126

crimsonbro.3126

I don’t even know how long I was stuck at 99% before I even worried about it and when I did, we were in T1. Thankfully, we finally went green in so I was able to finish it. Whew.