Buying a legendary with gems?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: martyrius.8957

martyrius.8957

just wondering how much it would cost at the moment. thanks guys i cant math XD

80 necro main. 80 mesmer. 80 guardian. 80 thief. 45 elementalist i’m just too lazy.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

100 gems coverts to about 4g now
if you are looking at a ~2000g legendary, it would cost you ~50,000 gems

(edited by Zackie.8923)

martyrius.8957

im talking $USD$

80 necro main. 80 mesmer. 80 guardian. 80 thief. 45 elementalist i’m just too lazy.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

100 gems cost about ~$1.25
50,000 gems will cost about ~$600 bucks.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

$625?!?! I’m sleepy

martyrius.8957

hmm. that seems like a butt ton

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

$600 -$800 depends on what legendary: Considering the value they can bring (cosmetic and satisfactory – but zero satisfactory if you buy ). I highly suggest to not use real cash on a few MB of digital data that cost more than 10 times the game itself, even if you are obscenely rich ) . Getting all the ingredients by yourself and may be spend $300 bucks on the precursor would make you feel much better ( Because there is no smart way to get precursors so you would not feel guilty buying them )

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

That losers what buy legendary for real money really exists?

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Sabor.6935

Sabor.6935

More money for Anet. Nothing bad about that

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

If people have the luxury of buying them with real money, more power to them.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Posted by: esit.3927

esit.3927

I agree that if they want to buy a Legendary Weapon with their money then that’s fine by me but at the same it does make you question if someone is rich enough to do so and have put 0 effort into it (in-game) then theoretically there is nothing legendary about it

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Well to be honest – I defenitly earn more money in real life if I would work the hours I would need to gain a legendary by myself. How many hours do you have to play for a legendary? Sure more than 40 i guess …

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

martyrius.8957

ive decided. i will not spend 700 usd on frostfang. thanks guys

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

ive decided. i will not spend 700 usd on frostfang. thanks guys

Good life decision is good.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

It’s no different than the guy who spends an extra $60,000 to buy a luxury sportscar over a family sedan.

Point is, different people have different disposable income for different tastes.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Losers? What if im rich and have cash to waste? The loser is
The guy who stays in the basement and farm champs for
15 hours a day .

The winner is the guy who doesn’t give a kitten.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Yea, I’m going to have to agree that loser isn’t the word to describe someone who has the wealth to drop $700 on an imaginary weapon. Winners in life is more accurate. Losers in the game because they didn’t “earn” it, but winners in life (life trumps vidja games always) because they worked in the real world to afford buying something that will literally save them hundreds of hours of mind-numbing “work” sitting in front of a computer screen.

So:

Hmm, I could sit at a computer every day for months grinding for gold to purchase something, OR, I could spend real money that I have plenty of and can afford to spend and not spend every day grinding for gold. Hmmmm, which of those options sounds like the “loser” option….

In the end, they have a legendary instantly and have tons of free time he gets to enjoy specifically not grinding. That’s winning in my book.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

For as much as it’s discussed, I wonder how many Legendary weapons actually have been bought with cash. There’s really no good way for us to track that.

Even if someone is keeping track of Legendary sales, there’s not a very practical way to determine who made their mountain of gold by playing the game and who bought it with gems.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

For as much as it’s discussed, I wonder how many Legendary weapons actually have been bought with cash. There’s really no good way for us to track that.

Even if someone is keeping track of Legendary sales, there’s not a very practical way to determine who made their mountain of gold by playing the game and who bought it with gems.

Why does it matter? Someone spent time in real life to make real money to put into gems versus someone spent time playing this game to make money (champ farming/playing the tp/whatever). Either way did someone “earn” it, shrug, why does it matter?

The same way you can’t “earn” your precursor. You either grind/buy gold and get it off the tp or you grind/buy gold to throw rares/exotic into the forge and hope to get lucky. Neither of those methods take “skill.” The same way getting enough lodestones/t6 mats is either a grind for gold or luck from drops.

A legendary is just a time commitment, nothing more.

Redenaz.8631

To be clear, I don’t care how they earn it. I’m just curious because I like numbers and dislike frequently-repeated arguments.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

To be clear, I don’t care how they earn it. I’m just curious because I like numbers and dislike frequently-repeated arguments.

Woops, sorry if I came off harsh, I didn’t mean to. I know some people consider a leg as a sign of status, when it really comes down to luck, time, and some effort.

I like numbers too, I’m sure Anet has the numbers of mass gem purchases (as well as gems—>gold), but it’s doubtful they’ll ever release that information (I’m much more curious to see the ratio of Teq deaths to spawns over all servers since he was changed). But considering the price keeps going up, we can at least guess it’s because of inflation, people playing the tp (or maybe cham farming) for massive amounts of gold, or people doing gems—> gold.

While I’d argue it’s mostly tp flippers, I remember a post a while back of people talking about doing business in flipping legendaries, so some people have 5-10k+ gold easy. And while I say very few people would spend ~$600 on a skin (though if they have that kind of money to splurge all the power to them), I remember posts back from dragon bash. I remember reading about some people spending $100-$200 on the rich dragon coffers just for a chance to get a jade weapon. So, it’s fairly possible that people can save up over a couple of months to grab the leg that they want.

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

It’s no different than the guy who spends an extra $60,000 to buy a luxury sportscar over a family sedan.

ah, but driving a sportscar is way different than driving a family sedan. Hell, even looking at it is way different. A legendary? most of them are horrible, out of character, there’s no difference in performance compared to a cheap exotic, and they are just certificate stating either that:

a) you don’t know how to put 600 USD to good use (which is really sad)
b) you don’t have anything better to do with your time (which is really really sad).

Redenaz.8631

Interesting perspective:

Say I make $25/hour.
Eternity= 3,000g = 50,000gems = $625

$625/($25/hour) = 25 hours.

Of course, that’s for Eternity, the grandaddy of legendary weapons. The other top-contenders cost more like 2000g (~17 hours), all the way down to, say, Frenzy at 1405g. (~12 hours.)

“But that’s doing a /job/! That’s not as fun as playing the game!”

If you have a job you enjoy, there’s a real chance you’re going to enjoy it more than at least part of the legendary scavenger hunt. Heck, Dusk, a precursor, alone costs 789g, and while I don’t know what’s typical the typical return for gold farming, you’d have to make 31.56g/hour in order to make that in 25 hours of dedicated farming…which is the same number of hours required to buy Eternity outright, if you make $25/hour. It’s going to take longer, because you’re probably not making 31g/hour. If I don’t enjoy gold farming, but do enjoy my day job, it’s clear which one is a more enjoyable and efficient use of my time.

I say “I”, but, no, I personally wouldn’t spend $100 on a legendary, much less $400+. My point is that other people might, especially if they have no interest in the required farming, or not enough time for it. In game or out of game, work is still work. If you enjoy the farming required, great, you’ve got a big reward for a big time commitment. It comes down to how you like to spend your time, and how much your time is worth to you.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Just buying it upfront is significantly more expensive than picking up the individual components.

If you’re a veteran player you probably already have well over 1 Mio. Karma you need for the Bloodstone shards. You probably have tons of T6 mats lying around too and maybe a number of badges from WvW and dungeons.

Take an inventory of what you have and the path to a Legendary isn’t that far off.

The Precursor is the only real stop-gap but they are significantly cheaper than the real thing.

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

i’d lol at the ppl who do buy legendaries with irl money. they prolly get it off of ebay/beezid/etc for cheaper XD

Rozbuska.5263

What an excuse.. If you wanna support Anet just send them money directly.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Why send the money directly if you could gain something about it?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

ah, but driving a sportscar is way different than driving a family sedan. Hell, even looking at it is way different. A legendary? most of them are horrible, out of character, there’s no difference in performance compared to a cheap exotic, and they are just certificate stating either that:

a) you don’t know how to put 600 USD to good use (which is really sad)
b) you don’t have anything better to do with your time (which is really really sad).

I would say the legendaries certainly have their own specific look, how you can claim otherwise I dont know. Whether someone likes it or not depends on the individual.

I would also say there is a difference in performance compared to a cheap exotic, since legendaries have ascended weapon stats and the added benefit of switching the stat selection when you change your gear/trait setup.

Maybe you should think about the points you want to make before posting.

Rozbuska.5263

Exactly. You buy gems for gold because you want something so much and your mind is too weak to wait till you get it by regular way. Supporting Anet is simply excuse for weakness. As I said if you wanna talk about Support Anet send them money directly.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

I agree that if they want to buy a Legendary Weapon with their money then that’s fine by me but at the same it does make you question if someone is rich enough to do so and have put 0 effort into it (in-game) then theoretically there is nothing legendary about it

What if someone works 60 hours a week, has a lot of disposable income and buys a Legendary because he does not have the time to grind it? So because of this its ok to say he has put 0 effort into it?
Meanwhile if someone lazy who has no job, sitting on and milking welfare spends 60+ hours a week grinding mobs in a game should be considered “Legendary”? Because they put more effort into a game than real life?
Sorry, IMO guy 1 with the job deserves it more.

Hi Kettle, let me introduce you to Pot

(edited by MrRuin.9740)

knives.6345

Exactly. You buy gems for gold because you want something so much and your mind is too weak to wait till you get it by regular way. Supporting Anet is simply excuse for weakness. As I said if you wanna talk about Support Anet send them money directly.

Too weak? What if I tell you I don’t have time to grind and I have money to spend (but no, I have more important expenses, but for argument’s sake…)

I really don’t get your point. You’re willing to give money AND take tons of time farming to get the item rather than give money and get the item ASAP…

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Paying $600+ USD for a virtual item that instantly becomes valueless the moment you leave/stop playing/servers shut down in Guild Wars 2.

I don’t call that winning.

I call that a bad investment.

If you’re willing to throw away money that easily. Give it to me. I assure it will be better spent.

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Paying $600+ USD for a virtual item that instantly becomes valueless the moment you leave/stop playing/servers shut down in Guild Wars 2.

If you’re willing to throw away money that easily. Give it to me. I assure it will be better spent.

To be fair, you already spent money on something that will instantly becomes valueless the moment you leave/stop playing/servers shut down in Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

To be fair, you already spent money on something that will instantly becomes valueless the moment you leave/stop playing/servers shut down in Guild Wars 2.

Not exactly true.

And you can use your brain to figure out why.

eisberg.2379

Not exactly true.

Nope, it is very much true. When Guild Wars 2 game shuts down, what value does your Guild Wars 2 game have at that point? Zero, just like the legendary someone bought. Other than the price tag, there is no other difference.

xephire.8324

Not exactly true.

Nope, it is very much true. When Guild Wars 2 game shuts down, what value does your Guild Wars 2 game have at that point? Zero, just like the legendary someone bought. Other than the price tag, there is no other difference.

Aye gw2 is a valueless game, we all agree on that.

eisberg.2379

Not exactly true.

We agree that GW2 is a valueless game when the servers shut down? Yup, you are right.

xephire.8324

Not exactly true.

We agree that GW2 is a valueless game when the servers shut down? Yup, you are right.

So i becomes priceless when it shuts down?God kitten why not shut it down now.

knives.6345

What will I get if I give some money to you? Will I get something I want?
Though I agree it is kind of a waste – but you got what you paid for, and used it for fun. It’s like going on a roadtrip. You spend money on gas, food – but you don’t do it for investment, you do it for fun.

Why don’t we let people with money decide on how they’ll spend their money? They are not hurting anyone in this case, right?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

There are plenty of things in this world you can spend money on that is valueless. Anything consumable for example. You consume it, it is now gone, and you have nothing to show for it. How is this any different?

I was recently at Halloween Horror Nights, tickets cost $100, fast pass another $100, inside the park everything is ridiculously expensive, I easily spent $300+ for an evening of standing in line and walking through a few haunted houses. Now I’m back and I have nothing to show for it except -$300 in my bank account. I would honestly get more enjoyment out of a Legendary weapon I can run around with for years to come than one night of sweaty walking and standing.

People can spend their money any way they like. If they want to spend $600 on a Legendary, who cares. Why start to call them weak and losers. I mean, if they can afford it, who freaking cares? My GF has spent more on a pair of shoes….like seriously. I’d rather my money go to a legendary than a pair of shoes she will wear like twice…

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

eisberg.2379

Not exactly true.

So i becomes priceless when it shuts down?God kitten why not shut it down now.

Because it is a fun game to play, no reason to shut it down.

MrRuin.9740

This is entirely your opinion. To me, spending $400 on a PS4 that will be worth $60 in a few years is a bad investment. Spending $60,000 on a new car to get groceries in is a bad investment. That’s just my opinion and something i wouldn’t do. What do I care what other people do with their own money that they earn?
Would I spend $600 for a legendary? No. I’m also not in any position to judge people who would. I’m sure I buy lots that other people deem worthless and a waste. Give the money to you? It’s all well and good to say you’d spend it responsibly here on some forums behind an anonymous post, but even then what you might spend it on might be worthless and a waste to others.
I would love to see this attitude in real life. Walk up to someone you don’t know and tell them what they just bought is a waste to you and they should give the money to you.
Get down off your high horse. Its not your money. It’s theirs. They can do whatever the hell they want with it. If they like seeing a shiny weapon, then that’s theirs to do.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Why does everything have to be an investment?

I wouldn’t pay $600 (I wouldn’t even pay $60) for a legendary… but if someone has the money, and wants to do it, why not?… why is it worse than spending that kind of money in a fancy liquor bottle that becomes valueless once you drink it?… or in a night (or week) clubbing that becomes valueless the morning after?… or gambling in Las Vegas in a vacation, just to name some examples?.

If you want to see it as an investment, they do get their return in the form of fun… just like in any of the examples I gave.

As I said, I wouldn’t spend it… but don’t really see any wrong in someone that has the means to do it if they want to.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

Buy legendary weapons with gems! It’s an awesome way of donating for the game.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

- In GW2, everything that is in the gem store can be attained with in-game gold and vice versa.
– The best weapons in the game (legendaries) have a very menial stat boost and are so expensive that almost no one would buy them with real money.

In other words, GW2 has pulled off a cash shop that doesn’t screw over people who can’t throw tons of cash at the game and doesn’t create a buy-to-win that imbalances the game.

How many other MMOs can claim that?

I’ve got my grievances about a fair share of things in GW2, but honestly this game has probably the best cash shop available to any MMO out there and this is coming from someone who was totally against any cash shop in any game a few years ago.

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

You don’t seem to understand that spending time is (in terms of economic output) similar to spending money — time spent playing could also have been spent doing something which earns you money (or which saves money you would otherwise have spent).

Time and money spent on the game is spent for entertainment. If the game shuts down, all you had to show for your time and money is the entertainment value you gained — just like going to see a performance.

$600 may seem like a lot to you — but then ask yourself: how many hours do you spend on the game? Amortize the cost over that, and compare to what you spend on other kinds of entertainment.

I’m unhappy with where Anet seems to be going (I think they’re using the wrong metrics), so I’ve stopped spending money — but when I had fewer complaints, I was fine spending money on the game; I didn’t consider it an investment, I considered it entertainment (expensive compared to some kinds of entertainment, cheap compared to other kinds).

I wouldn’t regret that money spent (the total was substantially more than $600, though mostly for upgrades to chars/accounts) even if I do stop playing or the game shuts down. I spent that while I was being entertained; there are things I’m very unhappy with now, but the game has been fun.

Posted by: esit.3927

esit.3927

What if someone works 60 hours a week, has a lot of disposable income and buys a Legendary because he does not have the time to grind it? So because of this its ok to say he has put 0 effort into it?
Meanwhile if someone lazy who has no job, sitting on and milking welfare spends 60+ hours a week grinding mobs in a game should be considered “Legendary”? Because they put more effort into a game than real life?
Sorry, IMO guy 1 with the job deserves it more.

I think you have totally missed the part where I quote (In-game) and therefore must consider your reply incorrect at this time currently.

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

The weapons themselves ARE legendary BUT how you acquire them, either making them in-game or buying them with real cash, is not. Imho there is nothing legendary on how you make them and part of this atm the acquisition of the precursor which most people probably have to buy from the TP and rarely luck out on in a drop or from a chest.

I have to admit though, I’m kind of hard pressed as to how one would go about being able to acquire a legendary weapon through legendary means.

MrRuin.9740

I think you have totally missed the part where I quote (In-game) and therefore must consider your reply incorrect at this time currently.

No, I didn’t miss that part. It implies you value virtual effort (in game) over real effort (in real life). It implies that because someone has only a few hours a week to play that they don’t deserve it, if they buy it with money from their real life job because the effort of sitting in front of a computer and grinding them out is more important and deserving. Which, even as an implication, is sad.
Some people have time, some people have money. Both have the means to acquire in game items and rightfully so, as neither extreme has an advantage over the other. People with lots of free time can grind legendaries…..people with lots of money can buy them.

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

Some people seem to think that farming Legendary weapons making them legendary.

All is vain.