Buying gold

Buying gold

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dronikal.8150

dronikal.8150

I was wondering if its punishable to buy gold from 3rd party sites.Because in my head if i give my friend 25 bucks for 500 gold is the same as if i give some random site 25 bucks for 500 gold.Can they close my account for that?

Buying gold

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

yes, they can and will …. it´s clearly against the ToS

Buying gold

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I don’t remember if that’s a ban worthy offence but there seems to be a good chance you’ll be “punished” in other ways. I don’t recommend it.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Buying gold

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

At the very least they will go in to the account and remove the gold that you got from that site. The first offense is usually a removal of gold and a warning.

Buying gold

dronikal.8150

At the very least they will go in to the account and remove the gold that you got from that site. The first offense is usually just a removal of gold and a warning.

what if i have already spend it and for example crafted my dusk?

Buying gold

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

Not only will you risk being banned but a lot of gold buying sites actively try to hack into your game account and/or just your computer in general. Never risk it.

Buying gold

Chad.6104

At the very least they will go in to the account and remove the gold that you got from that site. The first offense is usually just a removal of gold and a warning.

what if i have already spend it and for example crafted my dusk?

Good question. They might remove the Dusk then.

Buying gold

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

try it ^^

Buying gold

dronikal.8150

OK now i want an Anet opinion on this one because that gets really shady and there is no defined line of punishment.

Buying gold

zenleto.6179

Anet’s opinion is to not do it.

Buying gold

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

OK now i want an Anet opinion on this one because that gets really shady and there is no defined line of punishment.

It’s against the ToS you agreed to.

If you buy gold from a 3rd party you risk……

The gold being taken away and any item you may have bought/made with that gold.

An account suspension.

An account ban.

It’s just not worth doing it.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Buying gold

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here’s a couple of ‘Anet opinions’: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/RMT-Purchases-Expect-them-to-be-Removed/first#post4956048

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/RMT-Purchases-Expect-them-to-be-Removed/first#post4956381

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Buying gold

dronikal.8150

I get that is the case but what is the actual punishment or in the case of spending it what do they do?That is rally shady because i don’t get it.They wont punish me if i give a real life friend 20-25 bucks for gold and he gave it to me but they will punish me for giving it to some random good guy that has it in excess of gold.

Buying gold

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Here’s the official word.

Also all of the gold sellers are scammers, if you used the same email and personal information to sign up with them as you did with GW2, they will use it to trick CS into handing your account over to them (“My old email got hacked, here’s my account name, my real name, last four digits of my CC, character name and level, please reset the password and change my email address to…”).

So in your theoretical situation of having bought gold from a 3rd party and spent it all, ANet will simply remove everything you spent that gold on and a couple weeks later the gold seller will steal your account and take everything else away.

Buying gold

Chad.6104

ANet can see gold going between accounts. So if a gold seller is sending gold to different accounts, it will be caught. ANet can then see that you got the gold from this gold seller and go into your account and either remove that gold or remove the item(s) purchased with it.

Buying gold

zenleto.6179

I get that is the case but what is the actual punishment or in the case of spending it what do they do?That is rally shady because i don’t get it.They wont punish me if i give a real life friend 20-25 bucks for gold and he gave it to me but they will punish me for giving it to some random good guy that has it in excess of gold.

How does it matter? They don’t want you doing it. Plenty of info for you in this thread.

At the least, you can’t want your account hacked by the sellers Scam Department.

Buying gold

Inculpatus cedo.9234

RM Traders are not good guys. Gold-sellers steal accounts, plague the game with bots, and disrupt the economy. I would guess you change your mind if your account is usurped and you lose everything you have obtained over the last however-many-months you’ve played.

Buying gold

Chad.6104

Not only do gold sellers disrupt the game’s economy with bots, credit card fraud and stolen accounts but they use forced labor when they can to get gold. Cozy relations with some countries allow them to use prisoners to farm gold, and the prisoners are beaten if they don’t meet daily gold quotas.

Buying gold

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

If a-net sees any significant amounts of gold move and wonder, they’ll remove it. they will not refund it, the sender will be liable to get banned if it happens frequent, the receiver will get a warning, then (a) short term ban(s) and after multiple instances most likely a long or perma ban.

In any case : in the end you’ll allways end up with a flagged account… and no gold,,,

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Buying gold

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Just READ THE TOS, there’s nothing ‘shady’ here, selling in-game resources (eg. GOLD) for real-world money is NOT ALLOWED!

It doesn’t matter whether it’s a RMT web site or a ‘friend’, the only exception is ANET’s official Store.

Buying gold

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Paraphrasing the real question here, but “What’s the difference between trading gold (for money) with a real life friend and buying gold through a gold-seller?”

Well, in many cases (like Pax above me says), A-net have taken action upon accounts who have been participating in “suspicious activity”. For instance, you could innocently be sending money or high value items to a friend as a gift (or as part of an in-game trade) and get suspended or even banned. You then would have to contact CS to query the action, and probably have to supply evidence to support the fact that you weren’t involved in RMT.

My guess is that the game flags suspicious transactions, but also considers communications/transactions between accounts that have been involved with RMT. So, for instance, you could be flagged if you received 500g from a friend, but you might get doubly-flagged if that “friend’s account” has been previously reported for gold-selling, scamming or the account has been reported hacked. I would assume that RMT in a cash-in-hand way (with friends) is much more difficult for A-net to detect than using a website, simply because of the paper trail.

The ToS clearly states that real-money trading is against the rules. I have heard of people getting suspended or banned from the game because of RMT, so it’s certainly something that gets dealt with.

Finally, there is a massive risk on your own account if you use RMTs, as previously mentioned in the thread, they ask for account details and ultimately can get your account hacked to use for advertising, or you’ll log-in to see your characters, inventory and bank completely bare. That is how they get the gold, after all. It’s not a victimless crime, and I sincerely hope you vote against using such sites.

(edited by Crimson Clouds.4853)

Buying gold

dronikal.8150

well i gues im forced to play the Anet game and pay what is 50 bucks in my country for 2000 gems and convert them to gold WP Anet.

Buying gold

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

@OP: of course you would get banned, because you would “sponsor” a third party seller and not ANet directly. It would ruin their efforts to cash in on the game.

Buying gold

Inculpatus cedo.9234

well i gues im forced to play the Anet game and pay what is 50 bucks in my country for 2000 gems and convert them to gold WP Anet.

You aren’t forced to buy Gold from anyone. You could, like many others, just earn it in-game.

Good luck.

Buying gold

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I always wondered how Anet feel about people who give gold out to a friend without real life money being involved.

Is that also a crime against the ToS?

Buying gold

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

if you have a irl friend who plays way more than you, and has 500g and wants to sell it to you. as long as you do not talk about the transaction in game, all ANet will see is a nice guy giving 500g to someone else. Talk about it in game, and yeah You’ll probably get band.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Buying gold

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

I don’t think you are forced to do anything. It’s always your choice. You can play the game and earn gold the normal way, or you can buy gems and convert them to gold. No one is forcing you to do either, though.

Unless someone is sitting there holding a gun to your head, in which case I apologize.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Buying gold

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

Of course you will still get ban, as long as you get tons of gold(500 cap/week if not wrong)
They will just refer to mail logs they wouldn’t even know the mailer is your friend or family member.

As long as you ain’t BUYING GOLD from them through the gem store conversion, they got all rights to ban you.

Trust me I got banned once for buying from 3rd party and I replied
“Thanks for noticing me senpai” on their email.

Buying gold

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I was wondering if its punishable to buy gold from 3rd party sites.Because in my head if i give my friend 25 bucks for 500 gold is the same as if i give some random site 25 bucks for 500 gold.Can they close my account for that?

You are the reason there are so much bugs in this game.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Buying gold

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Have a tiny violin.

Buying gold

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

It’s only ok if your pay-2-win activities include paying Anet exclusively.

Buying gold

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Wait, how are you forced to buy gems to convert to gold? Why don’t you just save up your money? Clean out your collectibles tab or something.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Buying gold

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

And you come here to the official forum to get caught? very smart lol

Buying gold

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

If your friend sells you gold, he is a gold seller. /shrug

Buying gold

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

It is 100% a violation of the Terms of Service.

That said, if you hand your friend $25 dollars in cash and he then mails you 500 gold, there’s no way for ANet to tell that that transaction was illicit, so you’d be in the clear. Unless, of course, they take this thread as an admission of guilt, in which case you pretty much kittened yourself.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Buying gold

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

A good portion of the gold you buy from third party sites is from stolen/hacked accounts. You buying from them is supporting those activities. Don’t even try to sit there and preach how Anet is ripping you off when all they are doing is trying to protect people’s accounts.

Buying gold

Posted by: GUN EM DOWN.4078

GUN EM DOWN.4078

Anet will ban you for buying gold cheaper than swapping gems L

Buff black chick | Esportsmanship | pref my eggs kicked | big black glock | peekaboo stance

the original dab daddy

Buying gold

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

That said, if you hand your friend $25 dollars in cash and he then mails you 500 gold, there’s no way for ANet to tell that that transaction was illicit, so you’d be in the clear. Unless, of course, they take this thread as an admission of guilt, in which case you pretty much kittened yourself.

Basically, they could ban you too because you are obviously helping them to set up a transaction of real currency for in game items.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Buying gold

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

When is is ok for any game? (Tf 2 and cs:go I guess…)

Buying gold

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Basically, they could ban you too because you are obviously helping them to set up a transaction of real currency for in game items.

Accurate guild name is accurate.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Buying gold

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

As mentioned in the Guild Wars 2 Rules of Conduct (emphasis mine):

You may not buy, sell, transfer or auction (or host or facilitate the ability to allow others to buy, sell, transfer or auction) , or offer to transfer, sell or auction, or buy or accept any offer to transfer, sell or auction, any game Account or game Content, including (without limitation) game characters, character attributes, items, objects, currency, credits or copyrighted material, or any other intellectual property owned or controlled by ArenaNet, Inc., NCsoft, the Service, or our licensors, nor may you encourage or induce any other player to participate in such prohibited transaction(s), except as may be specifically authorized by the Service and by ArenaNet or NCsoft, without first obtaining our express written permission.

The short answer is that any exchange of real money for gold is prohibited. You are, however, permitted to buy gems with your $25 and exchange those gems on the currency exchange for gold.

Buying gold

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

^^ A red post!

Buying gold

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

^^ A red post!

You are so fried if you try to buy gold now from your “friend”. Banhammer is gonna hit so hard it will send you back to 1975 to play pong instead of GW2.

Buying gold

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

^^ A red post!

You are so fried if you try to buy gold now from your “friend”. Banhammer is gonna hit so hard it will send you back to 1975 to play pong instead of GW2.

Who…me? I’m not the OP.

Buying gold

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

^^ A red post!

Who…me? I’m not the OP.

Yes, OP of course, not you ^^

Buying gold

Posted by: akalpurakh.9306

akalpurakh.9306

Of course someone from Arena Net responds to a topic about gold… while ignoring every other important thread. Lovely!

Buying gold

Posted by: Grymlocke.1067

Grymlocke.1067

Of course someone from Arena Net responds to a topic about gold… while ignoring every other important thread. Lovely!

my thoughts exactly……

amazing how so many important things like progress blocking bugs have been left non-answered

certainty is A-net but i could think of a few choice words for the A part…….

Buying gold

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

This topic has a very straightforward answer, one that can practically be quoted directly out of the company policy. There isn’t much danger of being misinterpreted, or people expecting a drawn-out debate about the current state of the game, what’s best for it, etc. It’s a simple answer.

I know it’s frustrating that the easy questions tend to get answers, while the more complex ones don’t, but surely that’s not a surprise? At least this suggests devs are reading posts, even if they’re not answering the topics you really want answered.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Buying gold

Posted by: akalpurakh.9306

akalpurakh.9306

This topic has a very straightforward answer, one that can practically be quoted directly out of the company policy. There isn’t much danger of being misinterpreted, or people expecting a drawn-out debate about the current state of the game, what’s best for it, etc. It’s a simple answer.

I know it’s frustrating that the easy questions tend to get answers, while the more complex ones don’t, but surely that’s not a surprise? At least this suggests devs are reading posts, even if they’re not answering the topics you really want answered.

Wow.

Buying gold

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

Exactly the same thoughts I had when I saw the RED post lol