CDI- Character Progression- Vertical

in CDI

Posted by: Blademaster.6123

Blademaster.6123

Vertical Progression and level cap:
Ascended gear and crafting is good, and should stay as it is (though it is still kinda harsh on Alts), but what worries me is if the level cap is increased. If ascended gear is going to be as hard as it is, when the level cap increases (if ever), make sure that those who already have ascended gear can upgrade their armor/weapon to the new level cap in an easier fashion than remaking it. (However don’t just bump it up to the new level either, make people work for it just not as hard as remaking the armor or weapon…..or maybe even make the armor level as you do in some way…..) It would be a shame to see such hard work go into armor/weapons just to have it phased out by a new level cap. (The same kinda worry about a new tier of gear, which would be very bad for people and go against the gw2 ideals).

Horizontal Progression:
—I think luck was a good step forward to make lower tier drops meaningful, and maybe you should improve on that.
—To me it sounds like the best way to get more progress that doesn’t involve stats (well at least not as much) would be a new system altogether. I like the idea of player housing or mini pets fighting for you (or against other mini pets) or even sub classes. There are so many new crazy ways you could make progression, you just may have to be bold about it.

Ideas on progression:
—Minipets: Imagine if every time you opened champ loot, you got something like “+1 power mini pet food”, which you then used to increase the stats of your mini pet, and that each minipet had its own special skill so each mini pet is special in its own way beyond looks. That gives a lot of room to progress your mini pets giving people something to work for. (Or maybe each class gets their own type of AI assist that isn’t even a minipet that can be upgraded in a similar fashion. Though this may interfere with ranger pets….)

—Housing: Imagine if every time you scraped a blue or green, a house scrap dropped, and if you get enough of these scraps it could help you make your housing, or furniture for your house, or even upgrade your house. That gives people something to work for and to show off to the community. (If Housing happens, please don’t make it instance based where others can’t see your house.)

—Subclass: A lot of people already talked about this but it could be a good idea to make classes feel a bit more special and maybe even help progress your character in certain ways. Though this seems risky, and may even go against the original idea of gw2, it could work out in a positive way.

Conclusion:
Ascended gear good, level cap increase could be bad, but if handled well enough, could work.
Progression needs something new that isn’t stat related, something that doesn’t exist yet, that makes every loot that you get in this game feel worth it in one way or another.

in CDI

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Greeting and salutations citizens of tyria, my name is Eveenus though most of my friends call me E.V.

This time around Arenanet has asked for our opinions and thoughts on the matter of vertical and horizontal progression in Guild Wars 2, and by association the reward system.

I’m going to start this off very blunt by saying I did not like the implementation of Ascended gear (and how it currently exists within the game), and am probably one of the most vocal people against it you will find. I feel it goes against the beginning philosophy of Guild Wars (or at least the one that was publicized).

With that out of the way I will not be advocating for the removal of ascended gear, which I have no doubt some people would enjoy. It is in the game and all we can do now is look forward as to how to improve not only it’s implementation but also the way rewards as a whole work in Guild Wars 2. Oh I should also probably also mention I will not be covering vertical progression beyond ascended gear, there are plenty of other people that will no doubt touch on it and I personally do not want to see any more implemented into Guild Wars 2.

Now to the nitty gritty and to begin by looking at the current and how it can be improved to better facilitate all players.

As it stands Ascended Gear as whole has many ways of being acquired laurels, fractals, rng, guild missions, gathering, gold, and cold hard cash (witch translates into gems then gold). However Ascended gear is acquired as individial pieces, and each individual piece has a very limited avenue of acquisition.

Armor and weapons can be crafted which in practice means they are acquired with gold either buy getting it and buying what you need or going out and getting what you need yourself hence losing the opportunity to get gold. The most conservative measure for armor on one character is roughly 400 gold in the current market (which is flooded right now so I would expect a rise soon and that is AFTER reaching 500 in the appropiate skill). This is fine, it’s an avenue for those with lots of gold (or money) to get what they want without a time restriction. However, for the more average player this is a lofty goal which is quite frankly, ridiculous to expect them to achieve in any sort of timely manner. My suggestion, add other avenues that are strictly about the time invested, no influence from the market at all. Currently there are three ways to do this pristine fractal relics, laurels, and guild commendations. I say why pick one? Have a general idea for how long each piece should take and just go with it for all of them. For the sake of an example let’s say a full set of armor should take 20 days to get (going by the time gated materials this seems a close number to what would be appropiate). that would be 20 laurels, 20 pristine fractal relics, or 12-14 guild commendations.

This would allow those that do not enjoy crafting or more importantly farming gold for extended periods of time an enjoyable avenue of acquiring their gear. While still giving those who do enjoy acquiring gold for their rewards or skipping time gating to acquire it their way. Oh this would also mean that those ascended pieces that are currently only available through time gated or RNG means (rings, necklaces, acessories) should probably be available through means of gold. Ascended level jewelcrafting should handle that nicely though.

Then there’s the area of the game that lacks any true way of ascended acquisition through itself. WvW, Arguably the game type that having Ascended gear matters the most. I’m not much of a WvW’er but I feel this should be said. Please make all Ascended reasonably obtainable with Badges of Honor or from rank and season chest (or even all of them!)

If this is implemented I think it would be a boon to the current state of affairs. Ascended gear was said to be implemented to serve to purpose of something for players to aim toward after exoctics but to be much less daunting than a legendary, which some do not even want (including myself but that is personal taste). Right now however, ascended armor in particular is too much of a lofty task for some (including myself) because of it’s single avenue of acquisition that is very very very (am I making my point?) steep. Steep enough that I could actually get a legendary in a similar timeframe to ascended armor/weapons. Obviously, not really filling it’s inteded role there.

Personally I agree with you. i think Ascended Gear should be more accessible from an acquisition standpoint. Sadly i can’t go into anymore detail than this suffice to say we are looking at this issue.

Chris

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Progression depends on each individual player.
I am in favour of vanity progression.

Transformation items are my favourite. Endless cat tonic, watchknight, molten berserker, you name it.
Items like that are what motivates me, not statistical progression.

I am also crazy about vanity items I can spawn in the world. Chairs to sit on, bonfires, banners, finishers.
Just something for me to spawn and perhaps interact with.

If dyes were account bound then I would collect them. As it stands now I only get a few cheap ones for alts.

Also, use up what you already have in the game. There are a ton of skins, but because of the terrible transmutation system we stick to one skin and one skin only.

Imagine if we could unlock skins and endlessly switch between all of them. I would go out of my way to collect as many as possible – even buying those in the gem store.

Hi Naus,

That would be cool (-:

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

The two main areas for discussion will be Horizontal and Vertical progression, however please understand that the commentary and ideation we are really looking for regarding vertical is around its accessibility in game.

I’m not sure I understand this bit; could you clarify?

Basically:

• How easy it is to attain the Ascended gear?
  • Is the balance of acquisition of Ascended out of whack between different game-modes (i.e. Easier in PvE than WvW, easier in the open world than it’s intended game mode [Fractals])?

Couldn’t have said it better myself DaiBish. Thanks.

Chris

In terms of collection in WvW and PvE I think its in a pretty good position. However, obtaining in different routes does take a bit longer I felt. I also understand why. This game is very easy in most parts of it. If you increased the drop rate the item would lose its significance because it would be too easy to get. So I feel like you need to increase the difficulty in more ascended gaining areas while also increasing the drop rate. I don’t want to have to do a really hard event 100 times to get one ascended piece.

Yep this is a good point.

Chris

Collection is not in a good position, its is far too hard to get the requisite amount of dragonite for ascended crafting through wvw. While I would agree that wvw doesn’t have to be the ideal place for dragonite material, it should at least be reasonable.

Capping over 100-175 keeps is unreasonable for a single weapon. I’m lucky to cap 20 keeps in a week. Often wvw players that want ascended gear are spending a very little amount of time hitting one of the temple events to get the dragonite they need. I feel they shouldn’t feel the need to do this if dragonite was available in wvw at a reasonable rate.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I talked about Ascended gear in my last post so now how’s abouts some horizontal progression ideas?.

A large part of horizontal progression is cosmetic: particularly armor and weapons as it stands now. Players work to obtain the looks they want for their character, after some time they may get bored of the look and want a new one. This is fine and great, but why does this wonderful system have to be limited to armor?

How about new animations, particle effects for casting/attacking, in-combat quips, hairstyles, tatoos, (visible) jewelry, or even alternate skills?

A long time ago, while Guild Wars 2 was still in development the idea of profession specific skill challenges was touted around. Ultimately the idea was scrapped for the (much better) current universal approach, but what if profession challenges made their way into the game in another form?

Example: A Thief challenge to climb a trap riddled tower, without being able to actually walk. A puzzle built specifically for shadowsteps. The reward? Unique attack/skill particle effects like shadow refuge but are sick of seeming the same ol’ house? How about a cloak of shadow of the area instead? Sick of that mediocre -woosh- effect when you slash and stab? How about something a little more…red? ;P

The possibilities are endless here as to what the challenges could be and what their rewards could entail, but the core idea remains. A challenge tailored to a single profession, with a reward to match.

Moving on we can look at the (currently) under utilized personality system, currently you make a choice at character creation and as you speak with certain NPC’s sometimes you are given a choice as to what to say and there’s some bar in your hero panel that shows which choices you pick most often or something. What if personality went further than that though? What if it affected the way or characters look and act? What if a honor bound human would never say “I can outrun a centaur!” but instead opted for a simple and somewhat self dignified “I will outrun you!”? This would be a great way to personalize our chracters even further in a manner that would be.. refreshing.

I could go on and on about more ideas for horizontal progression, and even more ways to improve the acessibility of the current vertical progression system but this post is getting long and I’d liek to see what people have to say about what I said.

With that said if anyone dev or not wants to speak with me about this topic or Guild Wars 2 in general you can find me in-game, live on the relic of orr podcast, or on twitter. Jsut remember keep it civil and look forwards toward making Guild Wars 2 the best game it can be, not back at past mistakes or whatever; I’m horrible at being deep.

Agreed. Let’s spend a little more time discussing and brainstorming the following questions:

Controversial: Vertical Progression acquisition can be a pain but what if any elements do you like about Vertical Progression?

Lets keep coming up with some awesome Horizontal Progression systemic ideas and also reward ideas?

Try to tie these ideas into the core foundation of GW2’s systems and mechanics please.

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

One thing about current progression that’s been bugging me are the new skills. Both the Antitoxin Spray and the new healing skills cost 25 points. This doesn’t make sense outside of draining skill points. All of the new skills aren’t especially powerful, yet they cost about as much as a the highest tier of Elite skills. I’m concerned all new skills are going to be similar where their costs far exceed the value they provide.

Is it possible to drain skill points in other ways? Like using them to alter traits or skills? As far as I know, the only other place to use skill points doesn’t tie into skills at all.

DarkCloud 2, it was just amazing and fun.

That is the only game, ever, out of the thousands of games I have played over my life, in which I ENJOYED the crafting system. If you made gw2s crafting like that, or even took it as a base and improved upon it, you wouldn’t have to force me to craft by putting me at a severe stat disadvantage if I don’t, I would craft willingly and likely frequently.

Hi Conncept,

I haven’t had the chance to play this game, but I will definitely check with the team to see who has and look into the design of the system. Thanks for the pointing it out.

Chris

Conncept didn’t point this out, but it’s worth mentioning. Dark Cloud 2 has two specific systems that can be considered “crafting.” The first one available ingame is the Build Up mechanic which is a loss-less weapon upgrading system (ignoring materials). The second one is the Idea system. It’s the game’s proper crafting, and Conncept is likely referring to it.

Personally, I think any system from that game could inspire useful designs for gw2 or future games. It’s really different than many other rpgs out there.

(Also, if any of your team try the game, the third level is bugged. Be sure to save first and maybe leave the area and come back or the game may crash.)

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

For more than a year now (since Ascended gear first came out) the discussion over vertical vs. horizontal progression has been going back and forth among the player base both here on the forums and on varied sites devoted to GW2. Throughout these discussions there has been a great deal of conjecture from either side about what the game’s “vision” is, how GW2 has veered away from its pre-launch mission statement and what where the game is headed in the future. It would be seriously awesome to read here, from the game’s developers where we as a players can expect GW2 to go in the future. While I understand that the CDI isn’t intended to discuss what is currently in development, it shouldn’t be a problem to express to players what the game’s general direction is intended to be.

On launch GW2 offered something very different from what currently populates the MMO genre. It may have been a far step away from GW1, but it was also a far step away from most of what the industry offers as “the norm”. Gradually over time, and suddenly with the introduction of ascended gear that has changed. Please note that I am not attempting to state that ascended gear is impossible to earn by any measure, or that it is even particularly difficult, it is however sharply limiting in some of the things that were once GW2’s greatest strengths when contrasted with other MMOs.

• Alts:
    Increasing the range of GW2’s gear ladder makes it harder for people to play multiple characters and sufficiently gear them out.
  • Build diversity:
    Where previously players had the flexibility to play different builds and gear sets in the different parts of the game (WvW, Open World, Dungeons/Fractals) now build diversity is much more sharply limited based not only on the gear one has to carry but the challenge of getting that gear. It is more costly for players to experiment with builds over time and dramatic class changes have a more negative impact on players due to invested time.
  • Value of old content:
    As the rewards systems of the game change and become more vertical, old content becomes (as in most other MMOs) much less rewarding. Dungeons officially offer nothing but gold and armor skins (that you have to waste transmutation stones on) at this point.

One of the standard arguments against the above is that the vertical progression is shallow and ultimately optional. “You don’t ‘need’ ascended gear” after all, but if it isn’t necessary, why is it around? Once stats start getting raised through gear grind either old content has to be made more difficult, or old content becomes trivial to run either of which seems a poor choice.

I could complain about ascended gear and vertical progression until I’m blue in the face, but in an attempt to be constructive a few suggestions:

• Gear could have swappable stats (like legendaries)
    This would at very least place less confinement on horizontal progression by allowing players to try out differing builds without having the character defined purely by their gear.
  • Gear could cap out at ascended with things like infusions being account unlocks
    This might help to limit the impact on those with alts, while still offering the opportunity for vertical progression.

There will always be some new MMO to offer players the hottest new gear ladder, but I think the genre can and should offer more than that. An MMO shouldn’t have to be your life for players to be on an even scale.

Hi Dreamer,

I agree and our current direction and reason for the CDI is because we are focused on drilling further into awesome Horizontal progression.

Chris

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Vertical Progression
This is a hot button issue. People are fairly well adjusted to the idea of ascended now, but simply taking the easy road and adding another and another 5% stat hike down the line is going to result in new and returning player alienation.

Gates, not Grinds
Vertical progression needs to be handled in terms of gates, not grinds. A good example is the way fractal levels, hearts, and waypoints are handled. You don’t theoretically need to grind 31 to gt to 32, or 32 to get to 33, etc. and you don’t need to collect 4 milliong whatevers to unlock a waypoint. You need to prove your ability to pass the prerequisite, and you need to do that one time. Doing a thing, even if it’s difficult, costly, or time consuming to first time is often fun. In terms of gated content, it isn’t about the equipment and stats as much as it is about accomplishing something. Putting laundry lists of “a stack of this and 200 or that, and five of these” in place of some sort of questing, boss fight, or other content diminshes that sense of accomplishment. Getting one of each of five things, all from different places/methods, and combining them to get the “key” for the sixth thing is fun.

You already did it better once
If we’re going to progress characters, it needs to be meaningful, fun, and content driven. The EOTN systems and guild wars 1’s mission systems were very good at this. You could earn skills by progressing thematically through content related to those skills. You could unlock a “boss dungeon” by defeating several other dungeons. You could access later fights by doing easier ones. The goal of these methods of advancement didn’t just boil down to “do one thing” or “Collect currency” as much as it encouraged you to go out and complete a variety of content. In these systems my advancement wasn’t ever measured by the numbers on my character sheet as much as it was measured by all the things I had access to, and a lot of those things were placed in a strict vertical acquisition heirarchy despite not adding mechanical power to the character.

Horizontal Progression
Horizontal progression is a term that should really read “customization and options” as that’s what we are really saying when we talk about it. The main problem with horizontal progression is that so many of the trait and skill systems are extremely high impact per choice, leaving little room to have a skill or rune set or whatever “for fun” because taking that one “fun” thing can seriously cripple your overall effectiveness.

Despite having a smaller skill bar, GW1 did a slightly better job of this. A large number of builds had around five or six “key” skills, and two or three “optional” skills. With the GW2 system, there’s very little wiggle room due to the limitation on slot types. You can’t take a fun but lackluster skill because it takes up all or 1/3 of your options. When looking at Horizontal Progression we need to look at low impact but useful customization hand in hand with high impact things like traits and mainline skills.

Adventuring Ranks
Skill points are vastly underutilized. Take a look at the WvW ranking system and envision a version of that, only for general PvE. Allow players to “rank up” passive buffs to acquire effects like those found on consumables. “favored enemy” bonuses, minor stat buffs. Conditional bonuses when in certain areas, and other things that help to individualize characters.

Teamwork!
What if there were a way to customize the effects of your combos with other players? What if there were more ways for characters to meaningfully interact in combat? What if these were highly customizable, both visually and mechanically?

Weapon skill customization and collection
What if there were several cosmetic versions of each weapon skill, and you could learn them via skill capture, looting, or some other method? Mechanically they would always work the same, but let’s pretend you could get unique or rare versions of these skills with altered effects, character animations, shouts, projectiles, etc. This could be an entire new and fun subset of horizontal progression.

What if it were possible to add over time slot-limited skills to weapons? Use the weapon slots like the heal and elite slots to make it easier to balance, but how about it?

My Home Town and/or Guild Hall
You know where vertical progression is awesome? When you’re building something massive. Adding content to allow players to upgrade, improve, and customize things like these adds an entire new subset of potential shinies to acquire, none of which upset the power balance of player skills.

Some great points. Pope.

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Hi. I just want to say, that problem with this game is not “vertical” and “horizontal” progression, it’s not revard system it is gameplay.

What happened wiht dynamic events?! Don’t tell me that this portals that spawns mobs are “dynamic” those events are really static. Mobs spawn and stay in one position waiting players to come and kill them. I don’t like that.

We need more comlex quests-dynamic events, mix between dynamic events and old school quests, with choices and consequences and different ends.

Not sure this would qualify for the current CDI though. I agree with you, that they should entice us to play in any zone, run any DE and be thoroughly rewarded for it and feel like we actually did something. Maybe the rewards from these DEs could contribute some how to char progression other than simple currency.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I my eyes a big concern of players with ascended gear is the restricted accessibility and the time. I am a passionate craftsman. I can easily craft one set within a month. But equipping three or four characters with one or one character with multiple sets is a very large project. Maybe it would be much easier to wait for the legendary versions.

Many people do not like crafting but they are forced to it to obtain ascended gear in a reliable way. It the same situation as in other MMOs where you are confronted with only one way to the best gear. It would help a lot if you could introduce several ways to the goal like (time gated) tokens dungeons, fractals or even WvW. If it is needed you can introduce time gates in all ways. But the more reliable ways we get offered the faster and easier we can work toward multiple set we like to have.

Another concern many people have is the future of vertical progression. They worry about infusions. Will there be another round of progression based on infusions like rare or exotic versions. Will the players be forced at the end to go for ascended gear to catch up?

Note I don’t expect my team to work on weekends, I am replying because I have the time but this is a question for Izzy. Who will probably reply Monday (-:

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Part 3:
There’s a lot of other games that have really good horizontal progression. One of which is Skyrim. Some may not agree, however since the game scales to your level for the most part is is very much like horizontal progression. Look at the skill system. There is no just skill point you get each level. In order to unlock skills you actually have to find the in the world. Some require you to do special actions such as joining a faction or doing a quest.

Look a Guild Wars 1. To get a new skill not only did you have to be a certain point in the story, but also needed to know how to kill him. Most bosses had specific strategies.

Most popular RPGs in the world never had a skill system that was just level up and you get a point for a new skill. They usually had another gate.

Also if WvWers (all skills should be auto unlocked for spvpers) want, they can just buy skills with a combination of badges of honor and skill points.

Right now the endgame for horizontal progression of karma/gold/skillpoints/achievements is getting old fast. I’m seeing more people get burnt out faster. You either need to find drains for the karma/gold/skillpoints or split them up so its not so easily obtained to make them more meaningful.

Currently the game has more the enough horizontal progression dealing with crafting and collection. It has moderate to good horizontal progression for dungeon gear looks and WvW gear looks. Now its time to start introducing some new ways of horizontal progression.

Hi Deified.

The Tokens idea is interesting and I am sure you are noting that with our Mega Boss update Tequatl players can earn Ascended Weapons with Unique skins (Sunless) and that we will be moving forward with that paradigm. The idea of more challenging zone meta events was raised in the Living World CDI and a good idea. More to follow on that. I also agree that there is a huge amount of awesome progression to be found in guilds. ‘It has moderate to good horizontal progression for dungeon gear looks and WvW gear looks. Now it’s time to start introducing some new ways of horizontal progression.’ I agree.

Chris

I wouldn’t mind if you used my ideas or not. I would just love more progression in guilds, so quite frankly anything will make me happy. While I do love tequatl, I want to state a few problems that a lot of people I regualry play with talk about. The ascended weapon is RNG and some people have done this event a lot and not gotten anything. When something like that happens, they tell others. Others get discouraged and now you have not too many people interested in doing it. Also how many people you need. The biggest complain my guild has is how hard it is to get everyone from the same group into the same overflow. For an event that requires large scale organization, if we could some how control which overflows we join, my guild would have a lot better experience when trying to do a “guild” tequatl. I love the organization behind tequatl as most of my guild does, we just dont like how hard it is to try to play with our guild in it.

Thank you for replying to my comment/your hard work in this thread

EDIT: Also. The tequatl ascended weapons I think should have a more unique look. Many times they’re mistaken for crafted ones which annoy the people who get them sometimes.

in CDI

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I came about this post several months ago and what I really liked about it was the fact that it expanded on the current professions but added horizontal progression-without the idea of balancing classes nightmare
Please consider something like this:

I will just quote:
Warriors > Berserker —- Legionnaire —- Duellist
Guardians > Crusader —- Augmentor —- Patron
Necromancer > Occultist —- Visionary —- Witcher
Rangers > Hunter —- Strider —- Mystic
Thiefs > Rogue —- Infiltrator —- Saboteur
Engineers > Alchemist —- Artificer —- Pioneer
Mesmers > Chronomancer —- Fencer —- Bard
Elementalists > Runologist —- Sorcerer —- Arcanist
—-NEW CLASS – 3rd Soldier—-
Lancers > Dragoon —- Templar —- Partizan >
That way players can:
progress with their characters
individualize themself better and make them more unique
unlock alot of new skills, traits, weapons ect. just through progressing with their class specific Talents that define, into which direction you specialize your character

Gunnar’s Hold

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

There is an idea that floats through the minds of many players of other MMO’s that you can only ever have one Main, and the rest are Alts. The reason for this is simple, in most MMO’s the gear progession is so steep that you can only ever afford to progress one character. When I started GW2, I really hoped this was different, I wanted to be able to enjoy EVERY class and EVERY race…to be able to switch and play through the different stories…and this was true, until Ascended came out.

The vertical progression has killed the game for me, I look at the time and money needed to outfit all of my characters and suddenly it is impossible.

Horizontal progression is infinitely preferable in my opinion and I feel that GW2 still has a ton of potential in this aspect. Right now, there are very few armor sets, and even fewer vanity sets outside of the gem-store. This needs to change. Give us some really amazing armor sets (particularly sets that could be mixed-matched) WITHIN the game to work towards…give us cosmetic things to work towards and I bet you would satisfy everyone within the game. Those that want to grind towards things, can grind towards that awesome glowing armor, while those casual players will not be left behind. How about new pets for rangers (Rockdog for instance), that they could work towards…it could have the same stats as other pets (like black-widow vs jungle spider), but look cool….give Thieves a cool new hood or mask they could work towards,

The potential for horizontal progession is infinite! You could keep putting more and more “looks” and other “cosmetic” items into the game, giving people more and more things to work towards, while at the same time, not alienating anyone who needs to take a month off from the game, or the casual players. You could keep everyone happy.

As for how to “fix” the current Ascended issue: Give us more ways of obtaining it. Start throwing Ascended weapons and armor into dungeons, fractals, make it not account bound so that we can make sets for guildmates, let us buy it with pristine fractals…get it out there so that everyone can have it….it’s ugly…so you can still do this while adding horizontal progression with better “looks” to apply to it.

Make money in the Gem store with transmutation stones, un-transmutation stones, upgrades to banks, etc….I am all for ANET making money…its the only way to pay for new content in the game…but start giving us some cool cosmetic upgrades outside of the gemstore (I would have gladly done the tower another 50 times for Kasmeer’s staff…putting it in the gemstore actually made me not want it).

Hi Moshari,

I think we could do more to get a better balance between cool looking ‘new’ armor in the gem store and earning it through the game itself.

Chris

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I came about this post of a several month s ago and what I really liked about it was the fact that it expanded on the current professions but added horizontal progression-without the idea of balancing classes nightmare please consider something like this:

I will just quote:
That way players can:
unlock alot of new skills, traits, weapons ect. just through progressing with their class specific Talents that define, into which direction you specialize your character

Yep we chat about this a lot (-: It get’s me excited as a player to.

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

DarkCloud 2, it was just amazing and fun.

That is the only game, ever, out of the thousands of games I have played over my life, in which I ENJOYED the crafting system. If you made gw2s crafting like that, or even took it as a base and improved upon it, you wouldn’t have to force me to craft by putting me at a severe stat disadvantage if I don’t, I would craft willingly and likely frequently.

Hi Conncept,

I haven’t had the chance to play this game, but I will definitely check with the team to see who has and look into the design of the system. Thanks for the pointing it out.

Chris

On this topic, my favourite system for crafting was probably in Vagrant Story. Being able to name your crafted weapons was awesome, heh heh. I miss my Wyvernslayer polearm :’( We slew many a dragon together.

Naming and/or engraving weapons could be a fun crafting bonus maybe? Extra ways to personalise your equipment would be great for progression.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Wow well whilst I have read the entire thread already I have only just finished replying to page 1…. and that has taken two hours out of my day. Do not fear however, this thread will be open for a long time and as the pages go on their will be invariably be less for me to reply to as I will have covered large topics prior.

Note if i didn’t reply to you it could be because I am thinking on it. Please do me a favor all, try where possible to be concise with your theories, ideas, and observations. It will make all of our jobs easier.

I am going to head out and will either be back on tonight (Unlikely as my guild is doing TQ and WvW) or tomorrow morning.

Keep up the great work,

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Estriella Faerie.4029

Estriella Faerie.4029

As was said before, and to clarify, putting ascended items as loot (like tequatl, …) is not a solution to make them more accessible. The drop rate is so low that you can’t expect to get your weapon that way (not even counting that you’re not choosing the stats you want, like with fractals chests).

So the only way to get ascended stuff at the moment is with crafting, which needs a ton of materials, not all available everywhere. That’s the accessibility of those materials which you should make easier, as it’s the only sure way to get your weapons. All the other chests possibilities are bonuses if you’re real lucky, not something you can count on.

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

As was said before, and to clarify, putting ascended items as loot (like tequatl, …) is not a solution to make them more accessible. The drop rate is so low that you can’t expect to get your weapon that way (not even counting that you’re not choosing the stats you want, like with fractals chests).

So the only way to get ascended stuff at the moment is with crafting, which needs a ton of materials, not all available everywhere. That’s the accessibility of those materials which you should make easier, as it’s the only sure way to get your weapons. All the other chests possibilities are bonuses if you’re real lucky, not something you can count on.

Hi Estriella,

Please do try to keep up to date with the thread. I have mentioned a number of times that we are currently looking at drop rate balancing.

Thanks,

Chris

in CDI

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

The two main areas for discussion will be Horizontal and Vertical progression, however please understand that the commentary and ideation we are really looking for regarding vertical is around its accessibility in game.

Basically:

• Is the balance of acquisition of Ascended out of whack between different game-modes (i.e. Easier in PvE than WvW, easier in the open world than it’s intended game mode [Fractals])?

Chris

In terms of collection in WvW and PvE I think its in a pretty good position. However, obtaining in different routes does take a bit longer I felt. I also understand why. This game is very easy in most parts of it. If you increased the drop rate the item would lose its significance because it would be too easy to get. So I feel like you need to increase the difficulty in more ascended gaining areas while also increasing the drop rate. I don’t want to have to do a really hard event 100 times to get one ascended piece.

Chris

I feel that having the TP being the go to method to obtain items is 10 fold worse than upping the drop rates in terms of significance. I would much rather have items more readily available via the actual game world than having everyone having to resort to buying them off the trading post from some random lucky player that got the drop but wasn’t intending to use it.

This is one of my major complaints about gw2. Setting out to obtain many items in the game world by playing it is simply not an option. To me it kinda defeats the entire ideology of this type of adventure game. If I wanted to buy my rewards from a market I would most like buy a market simulator game.

Serenity now~Insanity later

(edited by Essence Snow.3194)

in CDI

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

-force players to spend money: introduce the “Ascension” of Exotic items trough game methods. I can be an expensive crafting recipe with turns your weapon from exotic to ascended. A MF recipe. A game quest. A reward for some activity. Whatever you can come up with. But gve players the option to turn exotics in ascended without Cash Shop. You can make it grindy, make the ascended acc-bound on creation, but at least there’s the option.

I agree but I would go with it kinda another way.
Allow us create skins from exotic items. Use mystic forge stones or something else.

Allow after crafting certain amount of ascended items (like 3-4 weapons and 6 armor pieces) to gain achievement like “ascended weapon/armor crafting master”. The achievement would allow you to craft whole armor set in cost of single item and 4 weapon boxes in cost of a single weapon.

This would make gearing alts really something and reduce painful very unrewarding and punishing grind to gear alts.

• make ascended switch stats like legendary

This is kinda any other way to make ascended feel like worth it but that would undermine legendary usefulness.

(edited by Septemptus.7164)

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

As chris said going to be hard to keep to a 3 page summary with this one but I’ll get started

Topics
*Fractal Resets
*Ascended Gear
*Horizontal Progression
*Vertical Progression
*Grind
*Art Progression
*Alts
*Gates
*Map progression
*Ascended creation time

There where a a lot more topics but I figured I’ll get a start before I head home

Fractal Resets
See my above post on this.

Ascended Gear
Horizontal Progression
Vertical Progression

I’m going to lump these three together and talk about all three. The goal of progression is for you to feel like your character is growing as you spend time in the game. It can also serve as a common system that the different playstyles of people can use as a common language to communicate their accomplishment between each other. For example saying I reached level 80 or have full ascended tells someone of your accomplishments but you could do that in many different ways.

Vertical progression
Some games choose vertical progression for this system and I think vertical progression has it’s place it’s a very strait forward system that has natural gating built in and makes you feel better when you get stronger and overcome those gates. The place where I feel it breaks down is when you start adding to a game. This changes the feeling of vertical progression as your accomplishments start to become a bit more of a moving target I think this problem hasn’t really be solved for vertical progression as most games just live with this downside and enjoy vertical progression for it’s easy of use and clear system the biggest solution I’ve liked is soft caps where the cost gets so high you effectively have a cap but it’s a little more grey you lose some of the clarity of vertical progression but you gain some constraints. In Guild Wars 2 we wanted from the start to try and solve this paradigm so we said let’s use vertical progression at the start as the gate can be a great tool to teach people slower and to grant access to different areas and build that sense of growth, but we found in GW1 that a max to that time allows for us to have a common end point for people and from there we grow horizontally.

Horizontal Progression
With horizontal progression, it has some tradeoffs it’s great for adding to as everything you add takes away a lot less from the things you made before. Making it a great system to add to it also keeps things fresh as it can add more choices and options. It’s weakness are mostly with clarity and gating, it always takes a lot more effect to explain what someone needs to do next with horizontal progression which means your often spending a lot of time and UI to tell people what to do to overcome this weakness while this can happen with vertical progression too it’s normally a bit simpler and easier sense it’s often more liner. Vertical progression naturally gets gateing built in and while you can add gating to horizontal progression it once again takes more UI and systems to explain why that gating matters you could easily add content that you can’t do unless you have this skill but how do you that content is there?

This is why for GW2 our goals from the start where using Vertical progression for teaching and clarity and then have a common understandable end point at that point switch to a more horizontal progression system which is easy to add too. We’ll still have to overcome some of the downsides with horizontal progression and it’s something we are contiung to work on.

Summary by Izzy Bump

Chris

in CDI

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Ascended Gear
So then why did we add ascended gear, well the reason is we wanted sometime between the transition and what we shipped with was very little time turns out global trading post has a lot more effect on this then we had original thought which made us need a non-tradable gear step. We still have some progression to smooth out around the rare -> exotic area as mostly you just jump from leveling greens to exotics and rare is really only used for salvaging into ecto. We have been spacing out adding each slot of ascended gear to make sure we don’t make our original mistake again and I’m sure we’ll need to continue to evaluate the time to gain this gear like we do all things.

Art Progression
Art progression! It’s horizontal why not do it more!!! Well we do this a lot all ready and a lot of it’s constraints comes down to costs. Every single piece of art we make is not liked by everyone and so the amount of art you have to make to give everyone a smooth art progression curve is very high. The cost of making some pieces of art is also very high (Armor especially) sense very pair of gloves = 10 pairs of gloves due to race/sex. We think art is a great horizontal progression system but not something that can stand 100% alone due to constraints of creation.

Grind
Alts

I group these together because I think they have some relation. Grind well I think grind is a kittene to fully describe because it really comes down to each person own personal feeling of I can only do x action so many times before its fun faction goes down and thus starts to feel grinding. For some this can be do something twice others 100 times, our goal with how to keep grind out of the game is the relation between time based and skill based gating. I think this is an area we are always trying to get a better sense on as we start to make things harder to add more challenge to the game sometimes we cross the time gate and skill gate too much and things feel more grindy then we intend. As for alts why I lump these up is I think often leveling up alts can feel grindy, our goals here are really about how we make things feel a little less grinding for some actions and we’ve been making a lot of steps with that combing WvW xp, adding tradable level up books, birthday gifts that level you up ect.. I think we are not done with the initiative to progressing alts being a bit more smooth and it’s something we will keep working on as we move forward.

Ascended creation time

We had a lot of discussion pre-releasing ascended armor to make sure the time to make ascended doesn’t blow out, We pull a lot of data and are watching how long it takes players and like we do with everything we will keep and eye on it but with anything with progression there are always a lot of tradeoffs when you make changes but we’re always looking at it.

Ok so that was a wall of text and clearly needs a cool story bro, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there before I head home for the day. Thanks everyone for posting we are reading it and maybe I’ll jump on after dinner if I get some free time.

Second part of Izzy’s page 7 Summary Bump

Chris

in CDI

Septemptus.7164

Home instance

Why dont use this as character progression?
Atm home instance in only for personly story and nodes nothing else.
Give us option to unlock mystic forge, craft stations, bank, portals to ur faction (order of whisper, etc) special merchants (exchange skill points to lvl up alts), etc…
Build ur home! <3

Upgrade ur home instance something like guild upgrades (by using skill points or something else) where you can make some cool events.

The legend

Make panel where you can exchange skill points to unlock new skills, items, and other character options.
-Repair ur armor free once per day,
-Special emotes,
-Upgrade ur finisher bronze/silver/gold effects,
-Special auras for dance, etc…
-Upgrade mini pets to pick up items,
-If you have open Radiant achivment armor parts, unlock Hellfire too,
-Summon merchant once per day,
-Summon trade post,
-Guild Bank,
-More chanse to loot dye,
-Less cost of WP…

I think there is tones of options to add here.

Horisontal progression in Home instance would also be cool. At least for the beggining. After some time it will be kinda standard, but at least home instance would have some meaning.

in CDI

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I don’t understand why people feel the need to progress their characters with extra stats? If the game keeps increasing your damage by +1 over time, wouldn’t you eventually encounter a problem where NPC’s die in 1 hit? Won’t NPC health pools have to inflate in order to fix this?

What does this create other than inflated numbers popping up on the screen?

in CDI

Posted by: Patrikan Habaton.2548

Patrikan Habaton.2548

A big Problem in my opginon about Progression is the RNG!

While it can be pretty exciting to get a rare drop, there should be more fix Skins / signs of reward ( like in LS atm ) for hard/Special Content. I played well over 3.5k hours (all across Content) still I don’t have a legnedary. Main issue I didn’t drop/ can afford a precurser. I would like to see some System where you get some rewards for sure after doing a specific Encounter / hard Content for several times. Like completed 500 fractals you get + 10 Infusion for 1000 + 15 Infusion ect.. ( Btw I think infusions should drop higher than + 1 on higher Levels…:))

Anyway waiting for an answer on the reset , I really hope this CDI leads to some good changes.

first scale 81 fractals

in CDI

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Hi Deified.

The Tokens idea is interesting and I am sure you are noting that with our Mega Boss update Tequatl players can earn Ascended Weapons with Unique skins (Sunless) and that we will be moving forward with that paradigm. The idea of more challenging zone meta events was raised in the Living World CDI and a good idea. More to follow on that. I also agree that there is a huge amount of awesome progression to be found in guilds. ‘It has moderate to good horizontal progression for dungeon gear looks and WvW gear looks. Now it’s time to start introducing some new ways of horizontal progression.’ I agree.

Chris

A note to this – please, if you will turn other living bosses to raid bosses too, please put them into separate instances and leave the kitten version in the open world. Tequatl is not pretty much not done at all, because casuals can’t just jump together and beat him and entire guilds are afraid that a) either the dragon will come while they’re still preparing b) they will have to wait for 3 hours c) some random will just jump on the bandwagon and ruin the fight.

While I did read what you wrote about the ascended gear I still don’t understand why its acquisition is so limited. What about people that like to dungeon? What about people that like to WvW? What about people that do just the dynamic events? Why do we have to craft the ascended gear? Why can’t there be more options asking you to engage in more difficult tasks that could help you get ascended? Why does it have to be a drop or crafted, while other tiers can be bought with gold, karma, tickets, WvW tokens, etc?

in CDI

Posted by: Shriketalon.1937

Shriketalon.1937

Lets keep coming up with some awesome Horizontal Progression systemic ideas and also reward ideas?

Well, since Evee already brought up the skill customization most adeptly, I’ll throw Home Instance Improvement into the mix.

You have the code for "if X condition is met, item Y appears in the home instance* as demonstrated by the quartz node. This is a gold mine for rewarding achievements and activities in a more vibrant manner. Use several buildings or locations within each home instance as designated spots to transform based on the player’s completed objectives.

For instance, a hunting lodge area might reflect the Slayer achievements. If I gain Drake Slayer, a mounted broodmother’s head is added to the wall as a trophy. The community achievements could by the tavern growing and improving with new furnishings and new products. When you implement the skin wardrobe, an Armory might contain copies of all the weapons and armor the player owns, thus allowing a collector to view they massive armament ensemble stretching from wall to wall.

It can also serve as an economic incentive. You might construct a garden to let players plant different harvesting nodes, but the amount of space each one takes up is directly related to their rarity. Thus, I could add lots of Herbal Seedlings or Gummo Saplings, but only one Ghost Pepper or Mithril Node for a block of space.

And finally, it could be an excellent way to sell convenience in a simple format. With a “Return to my Home Instance” and “Leave my Home Instance” button that functions just like the Heart of the Mists trigger, you could allow players to use their home as a hub for their activities without losing their current adventuring location. Meanwhile, you add Merchant, Repair, Trade Post, and Grocer (sells all unlocked karma food bundles) to the gem store, giving people a permanent service access for a nice price. Oh, and sell an Unlimited Total Makeover Contract in the store there as well, because if you’re willing to give people an unlimited contract selling for the price of a legendary via holiday-only RNG, you might as well use the same tech to pay rent.

in CDI

Posted by: ozma.3498

ozma.3498

It’s nice to see devs posting some of their ideas behind design philosophy. :-)

My opinions on horizontal vs. vertical progression:

Horizontal progression:
- I like it, but it no longer feels meaningful past a certain point.
- The emphasis on character appearance combined with the acquisition methods of “cosmetic upgrades” encourages people to focus on grinding gold rather than getting better at playing the game.
- A great part of RPGs is fighting progressively more hard-hitting enemies. Horizontal progression doesn’t lend itself well to this.
- There is currently no way to wear a weapon/armor skin that shows how skilled you are, so people go after scarce items instead. It would be nice to see some kind of “skill-based horizontal progression”.
- As people master their class and number-crunch the best setups, even brand new content can feel trivial in difficulty once you get a vague idea of the mechanics when all bosses, old or new, are tuned to the same player gear level.
- It can become monotonous always having the same gear, stats and build, doing the same bosses for the same reward.

Vertical progression:
- In my opinion, it works very well when there is new content to go along with it (for example, the continuous introduction of new PvE instances in other games), since it then becomes a reward for doing the new content.
- It allows the bosses to be progressively more hard-hitting and have higher stat requirements, which is a very simple way to make the game feel more epic (if antagonists aren’t scary, fighting them isn’t as fun).
- Getting more powerful and looking cooler by beating challenging bosses with your friends/guild feels more meaningful than getting new stats by doing simple and easy activities.
- Vertical progression has no place in PvP.
- Most people like becoming more powerful in games, myself included. It can be a very rewarding, exciting and epic feeling progression system if done correctly.

My favorite stat progression system (in response to Colin’s post):
- Final Fantasy games in general, as you can focus on increasing the particular stats you want through gameplay. I particularly liked Final Fantasy X, maxing my party’s stats by fighting bosses in the arena and replacing spheres on my grid before going to fight the optional mega-bosses on the international version.

GW2’s implementation of vertical progression:
- It doesn’t feel meaningful as it’s not tied to any real accomplishment.
- The stat increase seems too small for the amount of time/currency/materials required.
- There really should be some new, more difficult content to go alongside a new gear tier, otherwise it simply makes earlier content easier when most people weren’t struggling with it anyway.

Thanks again devs for posting, I’m looking forward to seeing where this discussion leads!

in CDI

Septemptus.7164

3. Use achievement points to gate acquisition. Simply require people to buy something with a token they get in their 20/40/60K/etc achievement point box before they can create one of this new class of legendary weapons.

This would only work if achievements would really mean anything.
That can only be done by plugging the leak of daily and monthly achievements by giving them a max cap.

For now it works like this:
I wont go for hard achievements, I will grind few dailies and have more points by doing nothing but logging in.

That undermines the every essence of achievement system and leaderbord for it only shows who has no live and does all possible dailies that can be done.
That really is a poor implementation.

Also maybe multiply normal achievement points by 5 or 10 (the non daily/monthly ones.)

in CDI

Septemptus.7164

I think I would quit the game if they raised the level cap. It’s so not necessary.

If they raise level cup in year or two (not now, not after ascended…) it wont be bad ONLY IF they make ascended gear always max level and way easier to acquire – look on my previous post.

in CDI

Posted by: daros.3407

daros.3407

HORIZONTAL PROGRESSION
The flaws with its execution in GW2

Skill/ Build Progression
What is skill/ build progression? It’s about getting new tools to improve or customize our builds.

• It is crippled by some of the systems set in place for vertical progression, like stats being tied to gear, which in turn is tied to huge money and time sinks.
  • It is further restricted by how trait allocation works, and the lack of build templates.
  • Non-profession skills are very underwhelming. Although this is done on purpose for the sake of balance, when they aren’t worth using, they do not serve their purpose to enhance world immersion, as they are left unused, nor do they add any form of horizontal progression, because no build will be created around them.
  • Skill hunting is generic and lacks the charm GW1’s elite skill hunting had.
  • The skill system is generally very restrictive, with few weapons per profession, very few utility slots tied to high cooldowns, and an elite skill system that isn’t acchieving the epic feel it was meant to acchieve.

Solutions

• Separate the concept of (ascended) gear crafting from the concept of equipment stat customisation. Make it easy or easier to change stats, or at the very least, to craft new copies of the same gear with different stats.
  • Add an universal build template system, and allows us to change traits on the fly (while not in battle, dungeons, etc). Creating and saving builds should be free. Loading/ changing them could still require a small money sink, if Anet feels it needs to be there.
  • Revise how non-profession skills should be balanced. Instead of making them bad on purpose, make them decent but only fill a certain niche/ tied heavily to a specific area or situation. In theory, the new spray skill does that, but it’s a poor skill even for its intended purpose.
  • It’s probably too late for a better skill hunting system, but perhaps that can still exist for something other than skill collection. More on that later.
  • Anet is already adding new skills to professions, so this area is already covered.

I’ll talk about skins next.

There are some good ideas here which I would like to see us discussing as a group.

What do you all think about these ideas?

Chris

This……
,,Separate the concept of (ascended) gear crafting from the concept of equipment stat customisation. Make it easy or easier to change stats, or at the very least, to craft new copies of the same gear with different stats."……
is great idea. Something like that would be nice to have in game becouse with ascended gear i feel locked to specific gear and build. Equipping 3 characters is hard enough. Equipping their different builds is mission impossible :-D

in CDI

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

I definitely agree with final fantasy. My favorite Final Fantasies are the ones in which a each single character could learn everything, like Final Fantasy V.
Same with games like Fire Emblem, or Final Fantay Tactics. It was a kind of progression I loved, because learning a new profession didn’t mean losing an old one, you could always go back.

In GW2, it’ll be really cool if you could get things like "Level 80 guardian + Level 80 elementalist → Thaumaturge profession unlocked, which has an unique profession mechanic and two unique sets of utilities, and shares 2 sets of utilities from guardian, 2 sets of utilities with guardian, a mix of their weapons skills, and all new elite skills.

But as cool as that could be, I don’t think it’ll fit GW2, at least not in a character basis.
Maybe making access to professions something account-wide. But not per character, as being a character that can switch between armor types would mean having to carry at least 1 set of each type to wear, along every weapon type, and that’ll be kind of a hassle. It’s enough having to carry weapons for all combinations of your profession, and any alternate armor set, plus all the armor sets with skins you don’t want to lose.

Another system I really like a lot is the one found in the Ultima VII games, or The Elder Scrolls, in which you start practically naked and with varely any starting stats, get increased stats and build your character over time based on your actions, and talking with trainers.
But again, that would not fit GW2, balancing that would be impossible. With the limitations of professions.
Still, from that we could bring back actual trainers.
The current trainers are just glorified merchants. They can sell you bucks and reset your traits, but that’s it. There’s no point on having one of each profession, as they won’t even sell the starting gear of your profession or new skills or anything like that.
Profession trainers should be reworked into… well, actual trainers. They would provide a set of tutorials to teach new players their unique profession mechanics and how they can use their skills to do typical combat techniques like CC, snares, burst, pressure, bunking, etc. The reward for completing each training challenge would be the key skill you are given temporarily during the challenge without a skill cost.
Then, additional profession trainers could be added all over the world, with training challenges for any new skills added. They would send you to an existing event, and if you complete it, they’ll give you a skill if you don’t have it yet, or its cost in skill points if you already had it. It’ll be enough if each map had one skill trainer per profession. Some all together like in starting areas, some spread all over the map.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in CDI

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

Hi Estriella,

Please do try to keep up to date with the thread. I have mentioned a number of times that we are currently looking at drop rate balancing.

Thanks,

Chris

Don’t “balance the drop rate”, make unique rewards something we can earn consistently.

Like, for Tequatl, add an infinite achievement track which progresses one point for each bonus chest opened (no weighting, the first chest is the hardest to reach anyways). Every [n] points, it gives the player an achievement chest giving them a choice of a Sunless weapon or one of the minis.

There. Players can see how much effort it’ll take them to get the drops they want. They won’t simply give up on content because of RNG. Loot that’s unique to specific events should always have a non-RNG option – nobody really considers the acquisition method for Molten Jetpacks or Monocles fair either.

in CDI

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

I am sure you are noting that with our Mega Boss update Tequatl players can earn Ascended Weapons with Unique skins (Sunless) and that we will be moving forward with that paradigm.

“Can earn” no, that is a flawed description in my opinion.
I have killed him more than 100 times and I have not earned anything.
It is a “Can have RNG luck”.

Those are two completely different things. I cannot earn the skin or the stats by killing Tequatl repeatedly. I do not get closer to my goal by killing him again tonight.

It would be nice, if you could in fact work towards ascended by killing Tequatl. However, in its current state, that is not an option. It is (again) RNG.
I do not hope you move forward with that paradigm, if working the same way as the Tequatl RNG.

There need to be added relaible ways to obtain ascended weapon/armor outside crafting. I do not wish for more RNG.

(edited by Reesha.7901)

in CDI

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Chris-

Vertical Progression, as you said, is a good way for players to slowly learn how to play. Start simple, add complexity and power as you go. This is fine.

The vertical progression most of us are concerned with is additional, required vertical progression added after launch. The reason we dislike it is because we feel a sense of completion by max-leveling our characters and getting the proper gear.

When you add new levels or new gear tiers, it destroys that sense of completion. It starts to feel like work, not progression. And for players like me with 8 toons (only 5 that I’ve even managed to get to 80… none with Ascended weapons… only 2 or 3 with their Ascended accessories), that becomes a huge, demoralizing setback.

So vertical progression at launch is fine. Post-launch vertical progression is terrible.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

in CDI

cesmode.4257

About RNG as a form of gear acquisition:

I know people in this game have been burned with RNG in the past, myself included to a degree. Keep in mind that in many games including the almighty World of Warcraft, RNG is the primary source of gear acquisition, at least BiS gear. You get it through raid drops, dungeon drops etc.

I would much prefer to go toward that method of acquisition rather than a mass accumulation of materials, then forcing us to craft up to 500 even if we dont want to just to have BiS gear.

However, and as Chris alluded to slightly, the drop rate needs to be adjusted. It can’t be a ~1 % or ~5% drop rate for items. Needs to be quite a bit higher for people to still feel encouraged to do things and feel rewarded.

in CDI

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I came about this post of a several month s ago and what I really liked about it was the fact that it expanded on the current professions but added horizontal progression-without the idea of balancing classes nightmare please consider something like this:

I will just quote:
That way players can:

Yep we chat about this a lot (-: It get’s me excited as a player to.

Chris

Advanced Profession subtypes would be incredibly exciting for me as a player, and it would also be easier to expand it than adding completely new professions. And if done right, it could also make the game easier to balance, because it would further categorize build options.

However, it needs to have something “special” behind each subtype to make them worth it. Or else, those subtypes would just be an excuse to restrict builds.

What could that “special” thing be?

• Break some equipment rules

For example, the elementalist could have a Battlemage subtype that would use heavy armor! Mesmer could have a Duelist subtype that would use adventurer armor! Guardian with a Cleric subtype for scholar armor.

• New mechanics

A Ranger “Beastmaster” could have a deeper pet system, while a Ranger “Hunter” would have a more shallow pet system but some new mechanics that would rely on long-range bursting. Finally, a Ranger “Druid” would have nature spells on their core mechanics, and be able to enchant themselves and their own pets.

A Mesmer “Bard” would have a different Shatter System, where shattering would give benefits to allies (untraited), and phantasms would affect allies instead of enemies. They could also get some songs out of their core mechanic. Meanwhile, a Mesmer “Illusionist” would have less shatters available, but get an F skill to swap with a random clone, and their illusions and shatters would mostly revolve around control.

in CDI

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

Controversial: Vertical Progression acquisition can be a pain but what if any elements do you like about Vertical Progression?

[…]

Not much, really. Vertical progression has a really annoying side-effect: It trivializes lower-level stuff, so the more you add, the more stuff at the end you have to add, and the emptier lower level stuff becomes. GW2 solves that with downleveling, but doesn’t make vertical progression any more fun, just prevents lower level stuff from becoming trivial.
In GW2 you gain levels, and get more trait points, but it’s more like a chore. The fun starts when you have everything unlocked. Players that expect the fun to be in leveling up will always be disappointed on GW2, as opposed to those that find fun in doing all the thing that become available as the character gains level, and being able to go back to the previous stuff their missed at lower levels.

Vertical progression becomes a one-time fun thing.
Once you’ve leveled to 80 with a profession and a race, doing the same thing with the same combination is not as fun, unless you make a new character after a lot of time for nostalgia’s sake.
Many players would welcome being able to make a level 80 directly for a profession-race combination they have already leveled up before.
Got a norn guardian to level 80 before? The next norn guardian you make will have a little checkbox on character creation to let you start at level 80 directly (well, key farms would have to be addressed, as that would make them way faster and easier)!

So, the best thing I think you could do for vertical progression right now would be the 3rd soldier and well.. you know… tengu, or at least making the game more alt-friendly, so people have more reasons to try new things.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in CDI

Septemptus.7164

Agreed. Let’s spend a little more time discussing and brainstorming the following questions:

Try to tie these ideas into the core foundation of GW2’s systems and mechanics please.

Chris

Sure, all is in this 3 posts. I hope you will look into it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Character-Progression/page/7#post3370576
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Character-Progression/page/7#post3370577
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/CDI-Character-Progression/page/7#post3370619

in CDI

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

I know people in this game have been burned with RNG in the past, myself included to a degree. Keep in mind that in many games including the almighty World of Warcraft, RNG is the primary source of gear acquisition, at least BiS gear. You get it through raid drops, dungeon drops etc.

I do not want the Warcraft system here, but in Warcraft it was perfectly doable to gear up a guild by clearing raid content.

The items could be distributed between raid members; when they dropped, they were not bound to one person only. That made it possible for guilds to distribute the gear evenly between its members. Either through DKP or a loot council.

In my opinion, RNG worked better in Warcraft.

in CDI

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Solutions

• Separate the concept of (ascended) gear crafting from the concept of equipment stat customisation. Make it easy or easier to change stats, or at the very least, to craft new copies of the same gear with different stats.
  • Add an universal build template system, and allows us to change traits on the fly (while not in battle, dungeons, etc). Creating and saving builds should be free. Loading/ changing them could still require a small money sink, if Anet feels it needs to be there.
  • Revise how non-profession skills should be balanced. Instead of making them bad on purpose, make them decent but only fill a certain niche/ tied heavily to a specific area or situation. In theory, the new spray skill does that, but it’s a poor skill even for its intended purpose.

There are some good ideas here which I would like to see us discussing as a group.

What do you all think about these ideas?

Chris

I think the above ideas are fantastic, the first one in particular would go some way to easing the issues many players have with ascended items, the second is along the lines others have suggested and is also something that should be seriously looked at. To them I would add a skins wardrobe to change skins on the fly without having to change armor.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in CDI

morrolan.9608

Basically:

Chris

Chris

I would also be happy with an implementation along these lines but please don’t regard the increased drop rate on tequatl as a template for what it should be because it is still too low.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in CDI

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Chris

I like Evee’s ideas there. To elaborate on that and some other things for horizontal progression, how about the following:

1.) Special dye unlocks(account wide unique dyes) for certain content or Achievement based dye unlocks. Example, 15k AP gets you a special unique dye that can only be gotten for that achievement level. You could retroactively add dyes to previous tiers too. The dye is then available in the dye panel for the account.

2.) Fill out the armor sets for the achievement panel.

For vertical progression( i abhor vertical progression, but I will oblige the question) :
Adding weapon and utility skill splits that you earn. Go find the 5 different aspects that can be added to various skills. They are located around the game world. After you find 2 of them you can combine the effect for a different version of the weapon or utility skill that enhances said skill.

Add different skills to weapons. Make weapons more like utility skills but we have to go do stuff to get them. That way we could have a choice of maybe 3 different skills per 1-5 attack. I realize this would be a monumental undertaking because of animations and balance, but you asked :P

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in CDI

cesmode.4257

I do not want the Warcraft system here, but in Warcraft it was perfectly doable to gear up a guild by clearing raid content.

The items could be distributed between raid members; when they dropped, they were not bound to one person only. That made it possible for guilds to distribute the gear evenly between its members. Either through DKP or a loot council.

In my opinion, RNG worked better in Warcraft.

I agree with you. Im not sure I necessarily want it in Gw2, but it is far better than what we have now to get BiS gear.

in CDI

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I think the game needs more statistical character progression. More item tiers, higher level cap, more traits. Ascended is not very useful. 5% extra stats is not worth the effort, I suggest making it 20%.

Also more cosmetical progression. Too much progression via the gem shop only in this area. Legendary armors would be a good start.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in CDI

cesmode.4257

Chris

Positive things about vertical progression: Well, it needs to be done correctly. VP is OK so long as it is reachable by a majority of the playerbase. If you put up barriers via time, and massive materials gathering. I would much rather run a dungeon and receive it as a drop rather than current ascended gear crafting. **Note, the drop rate needs to be realistic.

However, positives about VP… it keeps the player reaching, it keeps the player engaged. It gives the player a sense of accomplishment. If you replace a masterwork with an exotic you should feel a lot stronger. You should see bigger numbers when DPSing.

However, again this needs to be done properly.

Right now, I do not believe it is and I very much dislike how it is done in GW2.

Suggestion: I know you can’t turn back time, but ascended gear should be only available from fractals, and only usable in fractals since they are the only gear pieces with infusion slots.

Otherwise, if your intent is/was to allow them to be used in open world, just allow people to ascend their exotics and/or create infusion slots on the exotics.

in CDI

Posted by: Kiayin.3427

Kiayin.3427

As a game that was trying to rely on cosmetic horizontal progression, I feel character customization is one of GW2’s weak points. Its cosmetic system is far too restrictive and more often than not, this ends up frustrating the player. Here are some successful features from other games coupled with my suggestions. –

= Your character.

1. Character creation.

Whilst we do not need to go to the extremes Aion, I lost count of the number of times I saw people with the same face; the body types are simply too few and do not vary enough. The new additions to the store seem to indicate you’re trying to address this issue – and personally, I was thrilled about it – but it runs deeper than adding a few hairstyles and faces, as the system itself is far too restrictive. Why are scars, freckles, tattoos, make-up – often part of the face type setup, for example? Right now, if I want to make a scarred female human, there’s only one option available. If the scars had their own, separate tab – we would have 21! –

2. Access to the makeover tab all the time.

The only way to preview the changes is purchasing a kit. If said preview was available for anyone to mess with, as it was in GW – people sitting on the fence could toy with it, save templates! – eventually buy a kit or create a new character/buy a character slot.

= A wardrobe for your skins.

Ideally, players would buy transmutation crystals to change their looks all the time. This doesn’t happen, as they’re too expensive – and the only way to retain the old skin is to buy yet another gem store item. Most people buy enough crystals for a set and then they’re done.
Revamp the transmutation system! Give us the option to unlock permanent skins instead, and a wardrobe to store them. Similarly to the vault, the first 30 or so slots could be free – sell the upgrades in the gem store.

in CDI

Posted by: Shriketalon.1937

Shriketalon.1937

I think the game needs more statistical character progression. More item tiers, higher level cap, more traits. Ascended is not very useful. 5% extra stats is not worth the effort, I suggest making it 20%.

Arbitrary number increases are just an illusion.

If you’re fighting a Level 80 Icebrood Wolf with 100,000 HP and your Ascended Greatsword that deals 1000 damage per hit, then one year later fighting a Level 120 Icebrood Wolf Lord with 1,000,000 HP with an Epic Greatsword that deals 10,000 damage per hit……absolutely nothing has changed. The only difference is the amonut of time it takes to get to that Epic Greatsword to “earn” the right to access the content.

If they add Level 90, nothing will change. We’ll advance to level 90, break previous builds and make new ones, fight Level 90 monsters that use the same AI and mechanics, and grind for new gear. Then someone will get bored and ask for them to spice things up by increasing the cap to 100. Rinse, repeat.

in CDI

morrolan.9608

Ascended crafting is far too expensive for what it is. I’d be willing to pay that kind of price for a skin, and there are a lot of ascended skins I like, but the stats and infusion part should be cheaper. Biggest offender price-wise is the crafting requirements of Damask. Within 2 hours of farming humanoid enemies in Fields of Ruin with a level 35 character (essentially the closest thing to a dedicated cloth farm), I was unable to earn either enough wool or cotton scraps for a single day’s crafting – never mind that this got me no linen or silk. Silk is needed in absurd amounts as well. Unlike the requirements of Wood and Metal, a single player cannot reasonably expect to earn the materials needed daily for cloth (or leather, but leather’s not needed daily as the use of it is restricted by Damask anyways) through gameplay alone – they must resort to the trading post to keep up.

This is spot on and indeed is something that has been raised as a possible issue for months, ever since it became clear that ascended armor was coming. The silk requirements for light armor is over 10,000 silk scraps, that IMHO is absurd. You may have done this due to the stockpiles of silk but I don;t see how its fair to players who haven’t stockpiled silk. Heck I started stockpiling and I still didn’t have anywhere near the silk required for even 1 set of light armor. You should not be balancing around the top end of players if thats what you’ve done.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in CDI

morrolan.9608

A question to help direct the discussion a bit:

What are some of your favorite progression systems of all time in others? Be they horizontal, or vertical, just which ones really got you excited and were fun for you to continue to progress in?

To reiterate what others have said, GW1 was fantastic and the SWTOR legacy system was interesting but an idea that needs more refinement. I haven’t played Path of Exile but its system looks interesting.

Jade Quarry [SoX]