Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Adenin.5973

Adenin.5973

There is no ‘new approach’ to standard MMO mounts. Only tacked on excuses to have them anyway, no matter how unneeded they are so some may be temporarily cured of their boredness.

This game solved transportation in several very creative and fun ways. So much that i think it plays a huge part in setting this game apart from many others and gives it a certain enjoyable uniqueness.

Maybe as a gimmick in one or two future maps…. but even then i think that would do injustice to their concept.

So you are basically saying, a mount is a mount and I am against mounts, no matter what.

Also you want to continue with having maps full with all that ley line stuff, jumping mushrooms or whatever. People that run around, spamming every possible skill that gives them any sort of movement.

Being teleported around the map through various mechanics so that the maps start feeling like an ingame lobby rather than a living real world that wants to be taken seriously.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Spoilers. Not everyone wants to know about the leak.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

People that run around, spamming every possible skill that gives them any sort of movement.

I consider that an interesting feature of the game. Most just have a “increase movement spell/buff” and you just run. GW2 feels a bit like parkour, where you’re evading mob attacks, leaping forward and over obstacles to keep enemies out of range, teleporting, stealthing, etc, all to keep your speed momentum.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

So you can personally guarantee an influx of about 5 million players

to make up for masses that will leave.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

if they’re only added to certain maps, I could live with that (and avoid those maps like the plague), however, if they were added to the core maps at a later date, like gliding was, I would leave and never look back.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

I consider that an interesting feature of the game. Most just have a “increase movement spell/buff” and you just run. GW2 feels a bit like parkour, where you’re evading mob attacks, leaping forward and over obstacles to keep enemies out of range, teleporting, stealthing, etc, all to keep your speed momentum.

Is there any major MMO that has implemented mounts that make you invulnerable against attacks of mobs?
Don’t you think anet will include mechanics that make it difficult or prevent people from just riding through hordes of enemies?

It’s terribly likely that the mounts will have movement and/or even utility skills. They will probably enable the players to do much more things than just leaping forward. Much more things to add to that ‘parkour feeling’.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Fragon.7043

Fragon.7043

if they’re only added to certain maps, I could live with that (and avoid those maps like the plague), however, if they were added to the core maps at a later date, like gliding was, I would leave and never look back.

why this big extra juicy mega thick closing to new features ?

i’m sure if oakheart was leaked before release you’ll be the first one of them all complaining about it before even waiting properly to give it a shot by yourself.

like i said before , please go back to gw1, no mounts, no dodges, no special stuff to move around the map, just a static boring character with plenty of skills to cast, and waves and waves of ennemies that you need to take one by one.

Definition of fun ain’t it !

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

So you find that the HoT maps are easy to navigate? Are you serious?

No I’m saying that adding mounts wouldn’t make navigating HoT maps any easier.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Is there any major MMO that has implemented mounts that make you invulnerable against attacks of mobs?
Don’t you think anet will include mechanics that make it difficult or prevent people from just riding through hordes of enemies?

It’s terribly likely that the mounts will have movement and/or even utility skills. They will probably enable the players to do much more things than just leaping forward. Much more things to add to that ‘parkour feeling’.

And this is diffrent to what we have now? my thief dont leap forward it rushes and gain swiftness.

All these much more things can be added without adding mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Tumult.2578

i’m sure if oakheart was leaked before release you’ll be the first one of them all complaining about it before even waiting properly to give it a shot by yourself.

like i said before , please go back to gw1, no mounts, no dodges, no special stuff to move around the map, just a static boring character with plenty of skills to cast, and waves and waves of ennemies that you need to take one by one.

It’s not a new feature. It’s an unbearably old topic that has been discussed to death, not popular, and not accepted.

It’s also pretty clear who has a problem with the current game. When you are telling others to leave, it might be time to look in the mirror.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Final Fantasy XI

That’s all just speculation but my comment was directed at “spamming any skills to increase your movement” comment, which is said like it’s a bad thing.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Will.9785

Will.9785

I groaned when I saw the leak. The game is moving farther and farther away from what it was supposed to be at launch.

The only way it will be worth it is if we can use them in ALL maps…. if only because it might actually allow me to play some classes that move slow as molasses (seriously if you play thief it feels like everyone else moves so slow).

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

I’m personally of the opinion that the mounts should stay on the new maps. I will never understand why some people are so obsessed with mounts when we have more unique methods of travel already available to us. Nevermind the fact that just including mounts at all could create a slippery slope and take us in a direction we dont want. Mounts may be convenient for those in a hurry, it also has the side effect of shrinking the maps (time actually seeing what the map has) and making the world seem smaller.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

I haven’t played with the oakheart, and have only heard about it. which is almost like hearing a leak about it without experiencing it. personally I think it sounds fun, just like a lot of other mechanics that have been brought into the game and I look forward to playing with it myself.

not sure why you’d think I’d complain about it just because I don’t like mounts.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

In the old maps you can travel everywhere with waypoints. How big does that world feel? I can tell you: It doesn’t feel like a world at all. It feels like a little game lobby. If you’re done with what you where doing you stand there, open your map and click on the next wp. Almost like in the pvp lobby.

The newer maps (including HoT) have fewer waypoints. This means anet themselves wanted lesser waypoints because they didn’t like the status quo. But that created a new problem, 133% movement speed didn’t seem enough to traverse a map with enemies, dynamic events etc in an adequate time. So they came up with what many people here describe as a ‘creative and fun transport way’.

Mushrooms, Ley-line flows, nuhoch wallows, skritt tunnels etc. They were the solution to the transport problem. But these things can’t be used everywhere. For each map, for each region you have to now think about a transport mechanic, that fits the region, that is somehow explained in the lore, that feels right, that needs a mastery, that has nice effects and doesn’t completely destroy the aesthetics etc.

It’s not only a solution that many people find completely immersion breaking but it’s also very expensive to develop.

We know now that anet has decided to try a new solution. And I believe that we will not only get mounts but we will get mounts that will inherit huge amounts of the traits that made the previous solution (jumping mushrooms etc) enjoyable.

Mounts [merged]

Fragon.7043

It’s not a new feature. It’s an unbearably old topic that has been discussed to death, not popular, and not accepted.

It’s also pretty clear who has a problem with the current game. When you are telling others to leave, it might be time to look in the mirror.

you’re misinterpreting my words.

the game is wonderful as it is, the richiest part of it is the well crafted gameplay, of each and every class, some will appear slower or faster then the others,but they all have their roles. now when it comes to movement,as we’re in an rpg it should be more interesting and lore rewarding to have mounts to carry us through maps, we didn’t say WvW, neither instances nor cities, we said they should be implemented in the wilderness.

for now we’ve skills and traits in each and every class to compensate the lack of speed, but honestly, if we take 1 thief and a ‘staff gardian/engineer with swiftness combinations/staff ele with signets & teleports’ and make them travel straight ahead from the top of a map to the bottom, the thief will beat them 100% fingers in the nose.

it’d be fair for all the classes to get an equal speedlimit , so they can save their skills/traits for actual damage/support/tanky aspects, and save the speed boosts ones for instances, like pvp or WvW or raids … etc.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Mounts may be convenient for those in a hurry, it also has the side effect of shrinking the maps (time actually seeing what the map has) and making the world seem smaller.

With waypoints everywhere, people are skipping through the maps. Not only does it make the world feel small, it makes the world feel dead. Imagine for example a new player in Queensdale and how different it would be if you could actually see the 100 people streaming out from the city and heading towards the world boss. Perception is the key in MMOs. It’s no surprise that they’ve been toning down waypoints in favor of alternative methods of travel.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

ATTENTION please read:

shameful truth about the mounts hate.

Long time ago when GW2 was about to launch, trolls and haters attacked GW2 using this argument:

“it is bad, there are no mounts”

GW2 defenders (players and fanboys) started using this famous argument:

“We do not need mounts because we have waypoints”

So ladies and gentlemen, this argument was used to defend the good name of the game. No-mounts was never one of Anet “manifesto” points. It was never design choice or promise. They just didnt do them , like lots of other things (like there were no raids or housing systems) maybe they didnt have time or money?

The truth is that this famous argument did not make sense. It’s like saying you do not need cars in GTA because you can use a taxi as a fast travel system.

This argument was stupid then and it is even more stupid now, as we have less and less waypoints on the new maps. Why? Because everyone noticed that it is much more immersive to run from place to place admiring the beauty of the world rather than teleporting like bots.
Some waypoints are still needed as sometimes you dont have time to run around. And thats ok. More options for travel is better then just one.
You want to get somewhere fast? Use waypoint. You want to immersive trave on the map? Use mount. You are mounts hater? Just run on your legs then, no one force you do use them.

So please all, stop using this argument. Waypoints are one thing mounts are something else.

PS
some things to consider:
one of the most asked question about the game (you can check google to see If this is true) is – does gw2 have mounts?

one of the most requested feature (even on this forum) is – mounts system.

the thing I heard all the time from new players (go watch youtube gw2 first impressions vids if you dont belive me) is – game is great! if only it have mounts!

#stop the mounts hate 2017

Mounts [merged]

Tumult.2578

you’re misinterpreting my words.

the game is wonderful as it is, the richiest part of it is the well crafted gameplay, of each and every class, some will appear slower or faster then the others,but they all have their roles. now when it comes to movement,as we’re in an rpg it should be more interesting and lore rewarding to have mounts to carry us through maps, we didn’t say WvW, neither instances nor cities, we said they should be implemented in the wilderness.

for now we’ve skills and traits in each and every class to compensate the lack of speed, but honestly, if we take 1 thief and a ‘staff gardian/engineer with swiftness combinations/staff ele with signets & teleports’ and make them travel straight ahead from the top of a map to the bottom, the thief will beat them 100% fingers in the nose.

it’d be fair for all the classes to get an equal speedlimit , so they can save their skills/traits for actual damage/support/tanky aspects, and save the speed boosts ones for instances, like pvp or WvW or raids … etc.

I did not misinterpret your words.
It’s your way, or get out.

I will uninstall the first time I see a mount, but not because you told everyone to leave.
That will tell me the game is about to die.

(edited by Tumult.2578)

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

……

I will uninstall the first time I see a mount, but not because you told everyone to leave.

So you are saying you are playing the game right now because you like the way you traverse the game world so much?

Mounts [merged]

Fragon.7043

i think that all those haters are skeptical, a bit kitten when it comes to their firm opinion, but mostly skeptical XD.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I know many people hate mounts for whatever reason but I’m excited about them! The amount of time I’ve missed events (and exp for leveling) because I didn’t get there in time is way too high (contested waypoints are horrible). The question is, will we be able to use mounts on core/central Tyria maps like gliders?

Mounts [merged]

Tumult.2578

……

So you are saying you are playing the game right now because you like the way you traverse the game world so much?

Clearly.
This thread show specifically why they are unneeded and a total waste of time and money.
I am glad this thread was started though. Now I know I won’t be pre-ordering, or ordering a misdirected expansion.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: lmaogg.7325

lmaogg.7325

Still don’t really see the need for mounts unless there is mounted combat. Before you even mention that the upcoming mounts “could” fight, they will just be another silly broken AI ranger pet.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Legendary Grenth.3561

Legendary Grenth.3561

Im kinda kittened they went back on they’re word about not wanting to include mounts

if mounts are only available in elona then Im okay with it but having mounts outside of that is stupid and will ruin the core game.

Mounts [merged]

Tumult.2578

Not trying to scare anyone. That’s pointless.
I am saying I will not purchase an expansion that includes mounts.
To think I am the only one like that is also pointless.

If you can post here how excited you are, I can post how thoroughly disgusted I am, without trying to personally attack you like you feel the need to.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I do would like mounts for wvw though , since it sometimes takes aeons to catch up to a commander on the other side of the map
Of course you can’t mount in combat and it will be cut off if you enter combat

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

As long as mounts are no faster than my characters can be without them, and require as much in the way of trade offs as it does for my characters to have their current speed buffs…sure why not.

But if mounts are faster, or provide even the same speed as a character without having to trade traits, utility skill, or gear options to achieve their speed as a character does….then I am against them.

Using a mount should not be something you are pressured into because otherwise you are at a mobility disadvantage in game. Cosmetic only please.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Cannot wait for mounts myself! This will be nice.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

As long as mounts are no faster than my characters can be without them, and require as much in the way of trade offs as it does for my characters to have their current speed buffs…sure why not.

But if mounts are faster, or provide even the same speed as a character without having to trade traits, utility skill, or gear options to achieve their speed as a character does….then I am against them.

Using a mount should not be something you are pressured into because otherwise you are at a mobility disadvantage in game. Cosmetic only please.

Well, then mounts are truly useless.
Of course mounts will provide benefits. I would not be surprised when certain areas of the new regions will be gated behind a specific mount mechanic.
(not that I would want that but that’s what anet did in HoT with certain masteries required to reach certain areas and we know that different mounts have different skills unlocked with different masteries)

But your argument is strange. Right now jumping mushrooms, nuhoch wallows, ley line energy flows, updrafts, waypoints themselves are nothing that can be considered as an ‘optional’ or only cosmetic part of the game. If you don’t use them or if you dont have the masteries for them you are in a serious disadvantage.

The new mounts will probably be the thing that either supplements the above mentioned mechanics or maybe in some parts even replaces them.

Why were you okay with these ‘old’ mechanics when players that did not want to use them had a disadvantage and why are you complaining now?

(edited by Adenin.5973)

Mounts [merged]

Ashen.2907

Well, then mounts are truly useless.
Of course mounts will provide benefits. I would not be surprised when certain areas of the new regions will be gated behind a specific mount mechanic.

But your argument is strange. Right now jumping mushrooms, nuhoch wallows, ley line energy flows, updrafts, waypoints themselves are nothing that can be considered as an ‘optional’ or only cosmetic part of the game. If you don’t use them or if you dont have the masteries for them you are in a serious disadvantage.

The new mounts will probably be the thing that either supplements the above mentioned mechanics or maybe in some parts even replaces them.

Why were you okay with these ‘old’ mechanics when players that did not want tro use them had a disadvantage and why are you complaining now?

I was not okay with those mechanics (except way points-and I would have preferred a slightly different implementation for those as well).

But they are something that happens to my character, not something that impacts his appearance for extended periods of time while traversing a map.

People often claim that they want mounts in order to look epic crossing a zone. Great. All for that.

Then they make it clear that what they really want is an advantage over players who dont share their aestheitic preferences.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Mounts [merged]

Ashen.2907

Sigh, gotta love that forum bug.

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

I was not okay with those mechanics (except way points).

But they are something that happens to my character, not something that impacts his appearance for extended periods of time while traversing a map.

So the problem we are talking about is a purely cosmetic one? Because certain mechanics for traversing the terrain were required already in the game, they were not optional before and they probably won’t be with the future expansion.

Do you really think there will be no mount in the game that you could like? Is that the problem?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Dr Doggs.4059

Dr Doggs.4059

This is why we have gliders.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I got my mount, where’s yours?

Attachments:

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts [merged]

Ashen.2907

I was not okay with those mechanics (except way points).

So the problem we are talking about is a purely cosmetic one? Because certain mechanics for traversing the terrain were required already in the game, they were not optional before and they probably won’t be with the future expansion.

Do you really think there will be no mount in the game that you could like? Is that the problem?

Previous zone traversal options, with the exception of waypoints, were distasteful, but essentially necessary evils. But at least they do not affect the appearance of my characters over the course of time.

As to your last question…I certainly would not bet on it. Out of the hundreds of armor and weapon options in the game, I enjoy and use very few for my character. I suppose, if the ratio of like vs dislike were to translate to mounts its possible that introducing hundreds of options might result in one that I like.

Again though, I thought mounts were about looking epic while traversing a zone….are the requests for mounts really about wanting an advantage over other playeyrs who dont share the same interest? Are all of the, “mounts would look awesome,” posts just reall dishonest attempts to hide a desire to one up fellow players?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

There is no ‘new approach’ to standard MMO mounts. Only tacked on excuses to have them anyway, no matter how unneeded they are so some may be temporarily cured of their boredness.

This game solved transportation in several very creative and fun ways. So much that i think it plays a huge part in setting this game apart from many others and gives it a certain enjoyable uniqueness.

Maybe as a gimmick in one or two future maps…. but even then i think that would do injustice to their concept.

So you are basically saying, a mount is a mount and I am against mounts, no matter what.

Also you want to continue with having maps full with all that ley line stuff, jumping mushrooms or whatever. People that run around, spamming every possible skill that gives them any sort of movement.

Being teleported around the map through various mechanics so that the maps start feeling like an ingame lobby rather than a living real world that wants to be taken seriously.

“So you are basically saying, a mount is a mount and I am against mounts, no matter what.”

I am against mounts in this game. The game doesn’t need it… but some players can’t seem to live without the convenience they bring.

“Also you want to continue with having maps full with all that ley line stuff, jumping mushrooms or whatever. People that run around, spamming every possible skill that gives them any sort of movement.”

Most of that i have yet to experience and am very much looking forward to. But as always, people only realise what gem they had after they lose it.

“Being teleported around the map through various mechanics so that the maps start feeling like an ingame lobby rather than a living real world that wants to be taken seriously.”

In WoW they use flightpaths and the majority of the players (on the forum at least) would much rather have teleports… go figure.

I guess it’s inevitable in this game as well then. Eventually even here the mounts will blot out the sun.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

When mounts are coming to Guild Wars 2, so many player will return to the game, I can guarantee that. So many people says and ANet itself, that we don’t need mounts because we have waypoints? That’s insane! Running place to place is so boring, I would rather just jump on my mount and ride there and being awesome. Guild Wars 2 feels so poor without mounts compared to other mmo’s where are. I know there will be mounts coming lately, I just wanted to tell people that mounts would be really awesome and they are worth to wait.

And il guarantee you if a person doesn’t enjoy GW2 they are not going to start enjoying it because they have the image of a horse instead of their character moving.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

………

In WoW they use flightpaths and the majority of the players (on the forum at least) would much rather have teleports… go figure.

I guess it’s inevitable in this game as well then. Eventually even here the mounts will blot out the sun.

Really? Last time I read the forums people were complaining about how flying mounts ruined the game, emptied the maps. How good the old days were, where you had to travel from one zone to another just with your MOUNT.

I’ve played WoW for a long time and many of the best experiences I had did not happen on my arrival but on my way there.

Our maps in gw2 feel more empty than they have to because people don’t have to travel anywhere. They can just be there. Imagine the traffic in and out from big cities like LA when there would be no waypoints at all, how real and alive the game world could feel.

Of course anet will never remove so many waypoints but in the new maps we get probably only two or three and that in a huge desert map.

Mounts [merged]

maddoctor.2738

Of course anet will never remove so many waypoints but in the new maps we get probably only two or three and that in a huge desert map.

What’s the point of having a huge, flat, empty map?
I don’t think they’ll go so backwards with the next expansion, they’ve done well with HoT and LS3 and added something much more interesting to move around. Why revert to the boring old “let’s make the map huge so players are forced to use ugly mounts to move around?”

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

And il guarantee you if a person doesn’t enjoy GW2 they are not going to start enjoying it because they have the image of a horse instead of their character moving.

I have several friends that asked me about the game and one of their first question was if there are mounts. Mounts are pretty much a standard for an mmo today. If you are used to them you don’t want to miss them.
Just imagine not being able to jump in a newly released mmo…

Also, I myself stopped playing gw2 shortly after the release of HoT but I returned as soon as I heard about the new expansion, two of the new elite specializations and of course because of the fact that we probably are getting mounts.

Right now I have new goals in the game, saving as much gold, mats, hero points as possible to craft new possible legendaries and acquire new equipment, new mounts, new elite specializations from the expansion.

I am also member in a huge guild 400+ members and since the leaks the guild upped its member count from 300 to 400 people. Many new players but many people have just recently returned because of the leaks.

People seem to like mounts overall that’s what I am getting from all of that.

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

What’s the point of having a huge, flat, empty map?
I don’t think they’ll go so backwards with the next expansion, they’ve done well with HoT and LS3 and added something much more interesting to move around. Why revert to the boring old “let’s make the map huge so players are forced to use ugly mounts to move around?”

Well it maybe more or less flat but who has ever said empty? And why are mounts uglier than a fat ley line that reaches across the entire map or hundreds of magical catapulting mushrooms or always seeing people catapulted around?

The reasons for open and wide maps are pretty straight forward:

- First: The feedback after HoT release for the new maps was not that good.
People were confused, couldn’t get to their friends, find the PoIs etc. Commanders had problems because people didn’t find them on the map, they were always above or beneath the commander tag on the minimap. The new maps were pretty and full of detail but messy and not that easy to navigate.
Anet got also harsh critique for the map size, although their argument was that the maps had many layers to discover, players just didn’t seem to really accept that argument.

-Second: Elona has huge deserts. While the whole “verticality thing” could be explained in a jungle region a desert is usually a desert, which happens to be wide and flat.

The new maps will not only be easier to navigate, they will be easier to build as well when there are not that many layers anymore that the devs need to connect in a way that feels right and realistic. The new maps will also give a more “open world” feeling and of course are ideal if you want to introduce mounts.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

Mounts [merged]

maddoctor.2738

Well it maybe more or less flat but who has ever said empty? And why are mounts uglier than a fat ley line that reaches across the entire map or hundreds of magical catapulting mushrooms or always seeing people catapulted around?

Because mounts would exist outside the zone that requires them. Mounts are ugly and cause clatter due to their size and their standing still obscuring vision. A ley line, an updraft or someone using oakheart is moving, they are not obscuring your vision, they do not obscure npcs or important interact objects. Mounts obscure vision, the GW2 movement mechanics do not, that’s why mounts are ugly. It’s the main reason I dislike the backpack Wings, although they look pretty, they do obscure your field of view, and having loads of players using them makes the game ugly. Remember when the wings were first released and loads of people had them? Doing large open world events was pathetic, fortunately their use was reduced eventually (good riddance).

With Mounts, you’d see them around in cities (a big no no, I’ve seen how ugly other mmorpg cities look with mounts cluttering all over the place hiding npcs and players), you’d see them around while doing events on old maps and so on. Unless they are only an option in those new expansion maps and stay only there, similar to how you can use oakheart salves only while in Draconis Mons. That’s the only sensible solution, if they decide to add mounts keep them only in the expansion zones and never allow them out of there.

- First: The feedback after HoT release for the new maps was not that good.

LS3 maps are also vertical. You can have maps with lots of vertical movement without them being really confusing. Compare Tangled Depths to Draconis Mons for example, the first is a maze and really hard to navigate while the second is much easier to navigate. Both are vertical maps and a mount wouldn’t help navigate both maps at all.

-Second: Elona has huge deserts. While the whole “verticality thing” could be explained in a jungle region a desert is usually a desert, which happens to be wide and flat.

First I’d like to introduce you to the Desert Borderlands, which is also a desert but has many canyons. Second, in GW2 the desert zones had actual canyons and weren’t all flat zones. So in the Guild Wars universe the “desert” is not as flat as you might think. Why would they make the desert in GW2 wide and flat when in the previous game it wasn’t?
Don’t limit map design and imagination by calling a desert “flat and wide”.

All this assuming we go to the desert in the next expansion.

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

First I’d like to introduce you to the Desert Borderlands, which is also a desert but has many canyons. Second, in GW2 the desert zones had actual canyons and weren’t all flat zones. So in the Guild Wars universe the “desert” is not as flat as you might think. Why would they make the desert in GW2 wide and flat when in the previous game it wasn’t?
Don’t limit map design and imagination by calling a desert “flat and wide”.

All this assuming we go to the desert in the next expansion.

We are already talking about mounts, at this point it’s pretty much certain that we will go to the desert.

When I am talking about vertical maps I mean something like tangled depths and verdant brink.

The new maps were leaked and to not spoil anything let’s just say they will of course not only be flat. But in comparison to something like verdant brink they will still be pretty flat, that’s how I meant it.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: joseanjim.8096

joseanjim.8096

The averge GW2 player is 50% of gamingtime evading enemies. Waypoints on new maps are fewer and far. Mounts are cool, fast, and most important GW2 must be a game for its gamers, and I think most ppl wants mounts implemented ingame.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

………

Really? Last time I read the forums people were complaining about how flying mounts ruined the game, emptied the maps. How good the old days were, where you had to travel from one zone to another just with your MOUNT.

I’ve played WoW for a long time and many of the best experiences I had did not happen on my arrival but on my way there.

Our maps in gw2 feel more empty than they have to because people don’t have to travel anywhere. They can just be there. Imagine the traffic in and out from big cities like LA when there would be no waypoints at all, how real and alive the game world could feel.

“Really? Last time I read the forums people were complaining about how flying mounts ruined the game, emptied the maps. How good the old days were, where you had to travel from one zone to another just with your MOUNT.”

There is a difference to Flying mounts and Flight paths in WoW. Flight paths are automated flights, that a lot of people think is too archaïch and slow and would prefer instant teleports.

Flying as an ability is something that Blizzard is really sorry about introducing the way they did. Now they try to get rid of it and artificially postpone it until way late in the expansion. Hiding it behind all sorts of achievements so the bulk of the herd are convinced they are ‘working for a reward’.

They failed to get rid of it alltogether in the WoD expansion when some folks launched a massive lobby when Blizzard announced no flying in that expansion. The cowards..

Ground mounts were part of the game since the beginning (after buying both the skill and the mount for ingame currency) and totally fit in the design of the zones.

In this game they managed to design very captivating gameplay without the need for mounts.

“I’ve played WoW for a long time and many of the best experiences I had did not happen on my arrival but on my way there.”

And yet the big discussion on the WoW forums these days is between people remembering those days of groundmounts and those that just want to skip content and fly over it from A to B.

In both cases it’s about original design versus today’s craving for speed and convenience.

“Our maps in gw2 feel more empty than they have to because people don’t have to travel anywhere. They can just be there. Imagine the traffic in and out from big cities like LA when there would be no waypoints at all, how real and alive the game world could feel.”

GW2 is designed so that people can quickly get to an event. Currently i am late to some of them already because some max level clears the area in two strokes and ends it before i can get one hit in.

Also, i have yet to experience any real abandonment of maps since it teleports you to a more populated map when too few players are around.

This game seems well balanced around people beeing able to meet up for an event as fast as possible. I don’t think that is going to be improved by adding groundmounts and removing teleports.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

I haven’t seen any official source even hint about either locations or mounts for the next expansion. As believable as leaks and unconfirmed speculation might be, people using language like “pretty much certain” and saying this or that ‘will’ happen in an expansion that we have zero official information about doesn’t really make sense. We don’t know for sure. Not even close to sure.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, Mike O’Brien asking people to not spread the leaks and spoil it for others seemed to give some ‘official’ merit to the leaks. /shrug

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

I haven’t seen any official source even hint about either locations or mounts for the next expansion. As believable as leaks and unconfirmed speculation might be, people using language like “pretty much certain” and saying this or that ‘will’ happen in an expansion that we have zero official information about doesn’t really make sense. We don’t know for sure. Not even close to sure.

Have you personally seen the actual leaked images?
I have and I won’t spoil any further detail on the expansion but let me make a few points on that topic:

- They look absolutely convincingly
- They are not just a quick image from a mount or a excel sheet with some information, they show ingame footage, icons, the gw2 art style, the new expansion theme
- They show the entire maps with all waypoints, names etc

- If anyone faked this, he has done such an amazing job. He has probably put so many work hours in this ‘project’ that he can release the next expansion himself

- Do you really think that Anet, and believe me they have noticed this leak too. Do you really think they would not have said anything about it if this was completely made up? If there was completely false information about their most important upcoming event out there, hyping many people as well as making some of their players unhappy?

-All that anet has done after the leak is confirming that a new expansion will come out on reddit:
“….Yes, that means what you think it means: there’s one more episode after this, and then straight to the expansion pack.”

For me it’s at this point pretty clear that the information we have about the upcoming expansion is not made up.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I haven’t seen any official source even hint about either locations or mounts for the next expansion.

ArenaNet would have to be intentionally trolling. They’ve been leaking hints into the client for a while now, such as the Elonian faces and undead. More recently, the board game in the PvP area that references Amnoon Oasis, the originally leaked map. Of course there’s not going to be any official information, since the expansion won’t be revealed until the end of season 3.