Can we get a teleport to commander?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I’m getting kind of fed up joining a WvW or an Edge of the mists and the commander is on the complete other side of the map without any way to get over there. You run halfway there encounter a zerg and die and have to start over. Can we get some better movement abilities?

This has little to no effect on pve side of things, most people have the waypoints near things anyway but those that don’t have no real way to get to things like boss encounters.

So can we get a teleport to commander if on the same map?

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This would be an extremely broken mechanic.

heartless.6803

Anything that makes WvW easier to go into. Group based pvp with no way to rejoin your group is a major gigantic pain in the kitten . There is many times when I join an edge of the mists see the commander on the other side of the map and decide it’s not worth trying to get there. Leave and try again in 5 to 10 mins.

There needs to be some kind of way to get around the map. A teleport stone on key places, something. Anything so that when I join I can get to where the group is in some reasonable amount of time.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

People would abuse the crap out of this.

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

There needs to be some kind of way to get around the map. A teleport stone on key places, something. Anything so that when I join I can get to where the group is in some reasonable amount of time.

Two words: wurm tunnels

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

People would just use it to assault a keep with endless reinforcements until the enemy gave up.

heartless.6803

People would abuse the crap out of this.

How if it’s limited to maps, you’re not going very far. It’s no worse then being ported to a dungeon only if you’re in the map.

One of the single most annoying aspects of the game is first time travel. Going around and discovering the entire kittening world is a huge major gigantic pain in the behind. So what they put in something that can be used to make it less of a pain.

There is entire zones I’ve never set foot in and world bosses I’ve never done because I have not a kitten thing discovered on that entire side of the world.

Something besides the stupid worm tunnels needs to be added to actually get to your group in edge of the mists.

heartless.6803

People would just use it to assault a keep with endless reinforcements until the enemy gave up.

Great, make commander’s visible to enemy factions and give a major bonus to killing them. Let them become enemy target number one. High gain, high vulnerability. It’s a trade off I’d like to see.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Totally broken, A for effort though.

Player hides inside enemy keep > pops commander tag > entire zerg insta ports to him for a free cap.

tower is being attacked, enemy zerg is guarding the gate, one defender pops tag and whole friendly zerg ports inside instead of having to fight through.

zerg wipes while defending a keep, they WP out and just insta port back to the commander that’s still at the keep.

two commanders pop tags, zergs just insta port back and forth to defend objectives instead of having to cross the terrain.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

(edited by Beorn Saxon.4762)

heartless.6803

Totally broken, A for effort though.

Player hides inside enemy keep > pops commander tag > entire zerg insta ports to him for a free cap.

Limit each team to 4 commanders, once activated they are unable to be unactivated unless you leave the map entirely.

Commanders are visible to everyone, dorito is seen to all players but only appear on minimap to allies.

Make commanders similar in loot drop to siege lords so there is hefty incentive and desire to kill them.

They now become the single source of battlefield movement and the single highest valued target to everyone else. Just like any form of military transit.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

And that, will never happen.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Anything that makes WvW easier to go into. Group based pvp with no way to rejoin your group is a major gigantic pain in the kitten . There is many times when I join an edge of the mists see the commander on the other side of the map and decide it’s not worth trying to get there. Leave and try again in 5 to 10 mins.

it could also make it an incredibly broken mechanic. turn on tag, suddenly zerg? I can already see the reports of exploits.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Limit each team to 4 commanders, once activated they are unable to be unactivated unless you leave the map entirely.

So now 4 troll commanders can pop tags and sit at spawn, locking our real commanders from actually commanding.

Commanders are visible to everyone, dorito is seen to all players but only appear on minimap to allies.

Make commanders similar in loot drop to siege lords so there is hefty incentive and desire to kill them.

We didn’t get commander tags to become punching bags for champion loot.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

(edited by Beorn Saxon.4762)

Posted by: Tiffany.8576

Tiffany.8576

Please, just stop. It’s clear you don’t have a grasp of even the basics in WvW if you don’t know why these would be incredibly broken. Either learn how to read the map and navigate the terrain to avoid enemy zergs and/or equip skills which will allow you to escape from them, or just sit and wait at the waypoint or until the group gets closer.

Having reinforcements cut off from the group or facing the prospect of a long run across the map to support their team is an important element to the game mode.

Tiff | [TW] Tempest Wolves | WvW Staff Tempest Guide
NA/EU sPvP Elementalist

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

Please, just stop. It’s clear you don’t have a grasp of even the basics in WvW if you don’t know why these would be incredibly broken. Either learn how to read the map and navigate the terrain to avoid enemy zergs and/or equip skills which will allow you to escape from them, or just sit and wait at the waypoint or until the group gets closer.

Having reinforcements cut off from the group or facing the prospect of a long run across the map to support their team is an important element to the game mode.

This.

Khisanth.2948

Maybe they’ll enable hang gliding in WvW.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Completely broken and defeats the whole point of WvW.

However, this gives me an idea. How about a mobile waypoint item that would cost a lot of supply to create and allow a limited number of ports per time period? Sort of like the siege golem. Make it reasonably slow and fragile so it’s an important target for the enemy.

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

no, to op. imagine mesmer hide in keep or any other class could port people in not just mesmers… and instant outnumber? That’s B crap, or something like… solo roam … get to location A, port to commander with 12521412 omegas.. .GG WP no ty… worst un-thought idea ever.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Epic levels of laziness in players has resulted in them asking for balance to be thrown out the window in favor of convenience. * pets thread *

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

Epic levels of laziness in players has resulted in them asking for balance to be thrown out the window in favor of convenience. * pets thread *

This entire quote describes WOW perfectly.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Depends. A commander tag could function like a waypoint and if in combat or been in combat for set amount of time prior be contested and unable to be teleported to. Or maybe can’t be teleported to as long as they are in hostile territory like inside keep or castle walls etc.

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

This entire quote describes WOW perfectly.

GW2 PvE players also.

The OP is a terrible idea.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’m getting kind of fed up joining a WvW or an Edge of the mists and the commander is on the complete other side of the map without any way to get over there. You run halfway there encounter a zerg and die and have to start over. Can we get some better movement abilities?

This has little to no effect on pve side of things, most people have the waypoints near things anyway but those that don’t have no real way to get to things like boss encounters.

I bolded the part that I’m pretty sure is all you really are interested in. You don’t really seem to understand why it would be a terrible mechanic in actual WvW. For example, being able to wipe a zerg and send them back to their far WP is a big part of some conflicts and often makes or breaks a siege; if a commander could just stealth and hide and then everyone magically re-appears on them, that would be completely ridiculous.

So, I’m reading your comment like this: when I join EoTM to run the train, a lot of times the train is far away, and I don’t want to have to run over to them, because sometimes they die by the time I get there, or I run into a zerg, or I simply don’t feel like it, and I should be able to just teleport to them whenever I want.

Please don’t confuse EoTM with WvW. And even then, eventually the zerg goes back to home WP to recap their color. Just hang out until they do.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

OP are you serious? If you are, please stay in PvE where you belong and leave WvW (and even EotM) the hell alone.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Kagamiku.9731

Kagamiku.9731

It should be a gemstore item, obviously.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Put scout on every camp tower keep. When enemy zerg gets to X location scout tags up – ports people in – profit.

Keep gets flipped? Hide inside wait 5min open tag portal people in – profit.

This idea is even worse then the siege ladders people came up with.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

So, I’m reading your comment like this: when I join EoTM to run the train, a lot of times the train is far away, and I don’t want to have to run over to them, because sometimes they die by the time I get there, or I run into a zerg, or I simply don’t feel like it, and I should be able to just teleport to them whenever I want.

Please don’t confuse EoTM with WvW. And even then, eventually the zerg goes back to home WP to recap their color. Just hang out until they do.

You’re implying EotM is all trains, all the time, never actual WvW. That’s not true. I’ve had my fair share of “real” WvW in EotM, and the mechanic would be just as broken there as it would be on the regular WvW maps. By implementing this mechanic in EotM, that map really is reduced to nothing more than a train map, which defeats the purpose of nerfing the PvE champ trains entirely.
Just because players don’t want to run across the map (which is intended) doesn’t mean this lazy mechanic is somehow necessary. By this logic, it should be possible for everyone to insta-port everywhere at will all the time, because there will always be someone who doesn’t want to walk. Like Tequatl, or Wurm, or in the HoT maps where, oh dear god, the ways will be even longer if you manage to fall to your death.

tl;dr: Please no.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Thief with tag: stealths into enemy keep after failed attack.
Thief turns on tag.
10 people teleport to thief.
BOOM keep stolen.

Repeat with 10 thieves and watch a ppt hit 0 in a matter of a couple of minutes.

this would cause more people to leave wvw than it would entice in.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

you seem to miss how diminishing enemy forces is the very point of battles.

Posted by: Uproller.1849

Uproller.1849

this is bringing the meaning of immediate response force (zerg) into a whole new level. any keep under attack? no problem, the whole map will port to the commander at a moments notice to defend.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Great, make commander’s visible to enemy factions and give a major bonus to killing them. Let them become enemy target number one. High gain, high vulnerability. It’s a trade off I’d like to see.

Kill one, next person flags up and everyone ports to them, including the previous commander.

I would guesstimate that 50%+ of people can flag up in this game (judging from TxS Tequatl kills where people were told to all flag up, frequently). There’s commanders everywhere. You’d effectively have endless amounts of waypoints wherever you’d need them. Backstabbing a zerg or surprising a keep would be impossible as the first scout to see anything would immediately summon the whole zerg to them.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

We should get a new feature: Click-to-go! Just click anywhere on the map and you’ll be teleported! If wouldn’t cost anything and would allow us to go wherever we want: out of the map, enemy keeps and citadels, ranged to kill the PvP Lord… /sarcasm

Dude, seriously? What makes you think it’s a good idea? It’s far worse than asking for… * shivers * mounts

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

To be honest, it is not that difficult to run from spawn to wherever the commander is at the moment. I’ve done it many times without any issues when leveling characters. You just need to learn the map (I’m assuming you’re referring to EotM) and have a little awareness of what’s around you. If you’re paying attention then you can avoid nearly all players.

Posted by: thomdane.3670

thomdane.3670

“Broken” doesn’t even begin to describe this idea. If this were to ever become a thing, I’m pretty sure you would have a mass exodus from WvW. It’s hard enough to take something (i.e. Garrison or EB Keep) near an enemy spawn point if it’s even numbers and they keep running back. This insta-port idea would make it impossible, and if things become impossible, people stop doing them. Reason being, at the end of the day, people play games for fun, and when something stops being fun anymore, you stop doing it. My suggestion is to learn shortcuts to where you are going, pack on speed buffs/runes/traits etc., and figure out a back way in. Even at a tower with one entrance you can get back in the greater majority of the time even when an attacking force is present; pop stability, stealth, dodge roll, cond removal, weapon mechanics, so on and so forth, to get inside.

I am Eredon Terrace
Order of the Blue Heron [OTBH]
Arathorn Cirdon – Warrior | Ariana Cirdon – Mesmer

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

Yeah, Dwayna forbids you actually have to fight in WvW! If you don’t like spending ages to get to your commander and getting killed, play a build that runs fast and can escape. Every profession has one, at the possible exception of necromancer and guardian.

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

why not just make a waypoint in of the towers (not supply camps, generators, or keeps etc) you control, with the contested rules like that have for keeps?

Posted by: Durrik.4679

Durrik.4679

It might be interesting to add more wps to the map that are at least at 30 second run from keeps or towers. They become active when a commander is within range of it. And it doesn’t get controlled by either side.

It could make some interesting fights if three opposing sides get their commanders close to it and suddenly all three sides come in. Mass chaos, whoever can get their side organized first would probably win. Maybe to lessen the chaos have the WP spit the players out 1000 units away from the WP in the direction of their starting zone.

Posted by: JaeleCt.3967

JaeleCt.3967

this entire thread is ridiculous. either wait for them to wipe and port back to spawn, or run across the map and keep your eyes open. if you run directly into a zerg thats kind of your fault for not seeing them.

this is a “solution” to a problem that doesnt exist and in fact creates entirely new problems.

Posted by: NazgulNine.4276

NazgulNine.4276

Technically, this mechanic was in early GW2 beta, except it wasn’t a commander tag that you needed to have, it was a mere mesmer portal entre. The distance between two portals was NOT restricted on map.

The portal could be used by players 40 times which was later nerfed to the now 20? Correct me if I’m wrong on the player portal cap, it’s been awhile.

The portal entre distance was later changed during the GW2 beta for many of the same reasons stated in above posts.

For reference: Team Legacy podcasts and youtube vids brought this to a lot of peoples attention during the early GW2 betas and how problematic it could be for the WvW game.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Well, it would solve the PvE players anti WvW dilemma. ^^

A new service to post on the LFG alongside dungeon selling. Porting available to places on the WvW map for those PvE people who don’t want to run from point to point, encountering those nasty WvW enemy players as they go.

Port to me to get your Gift of Exploration! Only 2 gold.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

You’re implying EotM is all trains, all the time, never actual WvW.

I am implying that yes. I would go so far as to say 99% of EoTM is trains. I’m no stranger to EoTM, have leveled numerous alts there, have maybe 100-150hrs spent in there. The number of times real WvW has taken place while I’ve been there I could count on one hand. So I guess I can’t claim it is trains all of the time, but 99 times out of a 100 when you hop into EoTM, it’s just standard train rotation (based on my own experiences).

Either way I don’t agree with teleport to commander.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This could be a Commander Mastery.

Once they have the “Commander” mastery unlocked and trained up to that level of mastery, a commander would be able to use an item they can buy for 50silver and 100 badges of honor to pop a waypoint on their location for 30s once every hour, as long a it’s inside a location controlled by their team that is not under the “Repel enemy attackers” event.

But something exactly what you ask would be way too much.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

There seems to be a lot of tongue in cheek and knee-jerk reaction to this suggestion, and as suggested it is game breaking and laughable but there is a grain of something here that could enable some interresting tactics.

Instead of a port to commander, there could be way points setup around the map that need to be occupied in order to become active. Fights would revolve around maintaining access to these points for reinforcements and it would be another use for roamers to got out and contest or capture these points. They should be relatively indefensible and have a quick timer that runs out if they are not occupied.

EoTM is not the only place this could be utilized either. Place one north of the North Camp in each Borderland, or in the NPC zones of EB. One of the chief complaints people have about WvW is the zerg. Creating opportunites for more mobility could make smaller groups useful.

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

Or, or,or just swiftness up and run to the commander, might even find a fight OTW.
i mean really, it takes 5 minutes to run a cross any map, so lazy.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Put on your walking shoes. Being able to teleport anyone anywhere in WVW is asking for trouble when your objective is capturing landmarks. the lack of WPs also provides a way for defending servers to pick up some breathing room after wiping an attacking server’s squad.

Call it knee-jerk or whatever you like, but enabling any server to consistently bombard another with a steady stream of small to large scale squads, with little concern given to the toll that would take on the efforts for defenders to repair, prepare, and regroup would further decay the already-slim fighting chance the less-represented servers have in any given matchup.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

It would need a serious cooldown, something like 15 minutes. If you could do it whenever you felt like battles would become never-ending.

Khisanth.2948

It would need a serious cooldown, something like 15 minutes. If you could do it whenever you felt like battles would become never-ending.

I would not be against never ending battles.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I would not be against never ending battles.

The Never Ending Story: Guild Wars 2 Edition

Posted by: NewSentiment.1645

NewSentiment.1645

I agree with mostly everyone here. Porting to Comm Tag is plain dumb. However they could make a mechanic similar to EB where you can pay X amount of supplies for a waypoint in certain objectives you have captured such as Tytone and Infernal.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

commander mesmer hides in tower, pop up tag, easy cap w/o waste teleport….. GW2 is way to easy compared with other mmo that have siege/war component (this is the gw2 player want everything to be cheesy and easy).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.