Candy Corn Gobbler: non multiple of 400 gems.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Candy Corn Gobbler: 300 gems,
Haunted Gramophone: 600 gems.

Again with the non-multiples of 400 gems, which is still the lowest possible gold to gem exchange amount. It looks to me that Anet’s just stalling the change as long as possible in order to take advantage of players during the temporary holiday event boost in population.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

And that is why I’m not buying. Seriously considering the Candy Corn Gobbler, but only if they allow me to set my own gem purchase amount before it goes away. I’ll not be buying anything until this is changed and if that means I don’t get to buy the Gobbler, then so be it.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

You have to assume that they price everything for their cash to gems option. It doesn’t make any sense for them to price things according to gold to gems. Still doesn’t, even when they give back the old option.

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

It was originally meant to cost 401 gems.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Don’t give them any ideas lol. We don’t want it to become more expensive. This is a tuesday too, so maybe they will have that gem exchange update rolled out today. crossing fingers

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

You’ll sooner see the watchwork pick being put back in line with all other gathering tools before gem conversion customization options are restored.

As in NEVER.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Maybe they should roll back their previous system. It taking them this long to add a custom button doesn’t look good. It does explain the low amount of content delivered.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Maybe they should roll back their previous system. It taking them this long to add a custom button doesn’t look good. It does explain the low amount of content delivered.

I am assuming you are speaking of the Halloween update.

I believe the reason for lack of content is due to “little interest” in holiday events despite Halloween being on the verge of blowing Christmas out of the water as one of the most lucrative seasons for retailers.

Makes perfect sense.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Stop buying gems.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Schwarzseher.9873

Schwarzseher.9873

After the last action with the gem exchange system they wont see a single cent from me. Certainly not until they bring out a real expansion.

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

Wildstar actually wont have Halloween or Christmas updates.

Didn’t it take two guys two days just to make the commander tags free? Issue is probably more complex than we think.

I would have really liked for the change to arrive by now though. I want to buy the gobbler and the executioner’s outfit but I have only 500 gems I can afford 500 more but not 800 more.

(edited by KngGilgamesh.3481)

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Same boat. I would love to have the gobbler. However I won’t be dealing with gems (exchange nor cash) until they make the change.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The Currency Exchange will be offering incremental purchase options with a new build that should go out quite soon. So no worries about purchasing in “bundles,” you can purchase as you desire using the “Custom” option.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Schwarzseher.9873

The Currency Exchange will be offering incremental purchase options with a new build that should go out quite soon. So no worries about purchasing in “bundles,” you can purchase as you desire using the “Custom” option.

And what does soon mean? 1 week? 1 month? Or rather 1 year?
You know, they say that the new airport of Berlin will be opened “soon” . They have been using the word “soon” since more than 2 years.

Fernling.1729

You know, they say that the new airport of Berlin will be opened “soon” . They have been using the word “soon” since more than 2 years.

Herein lies one of their largest problems with communication. Instead of saying “in the next couple days” or “here in the next week” or “in about a month”, they are purposely vague.
I’m pretty sure their infamous soon™ has resulted in things taking more than a few months(and some still not here).

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The pricing of these items in particular points to it being a knock on people that want to make their purchases of gems with gold. This game was sold in part on being for players because the marketing was proud that you had the option to buy items with gold if you so desired. I understand wanting to make more money. Heck, I am glad you all want to make more money, but there are myriad more options that are up front to loyal customers than how you handled this. This kind of under-handed and frankly shady implementation without so much as a peep to the community on it was ill-handled at best and does everything to undermine the loyalty of customers because a LOT of GW franchise players came to this series because of other companies having disgusting cash shops.

Can you all at ArenaNet see how this could be construed as a slow move away from that ethos? Did you not hang your hat on that at one point? You guys need to take a long look at this stuff. I could see the cash shop being downright repugnant in two years at this pace. We deserve better than this.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

since she is allowed to say it, it means that feature is already complete and just waiting on patch cycling. give it 1-3 patches.

shes being really specific here, you need to read between the lines.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Schwarzseher.9873

since she is allowed to say it, it means that feature is already complete and just waiting on patch cycling. give it 1-3 patches.

Specific looks different actually. Specific would be something like: In the next month or in the course of the next 2 weeks. Soon could be anytime, we could wait until GW9 is out until they change it.

Labjax.2465

Specific looks different actually. Specific would be something like: In the next month or in the course of the next 2 weeks. Soon could be anytime, we could wait until GW9 is out until they change it.

Call me stupidly optimistic, but I am taking soon to mean that it’s probably on the way out today, assuming no major hiccups.

If that doesn’t happen, then I can see why the pitchforks feel justified.

Or words to that effect.

insanemaniac.2456

she was allowed to almost say its done and waiting for a patch cycle. compared to “were looking into this” or some vague bull non-answer as is typical of in-person interviews with anet devs, this is specific. dont ask for more, cuz you definitely wont get it.

just assume every word is carefully typed with a response like this.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s more than a little insulting to make it seem that the pushing out of new items is more important than actually fixing the gem store.

But I’ll just ignore this one more time, because I have gems on hand that were purchased a while back again. I’m sorry to say this, but the only reason I haven’t gotten burned by many of these things is because I take incompetence into account, but to be honest I had no idea it’d be this bad. I hope this does not stay that way.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Not next year, no. Not months from now, no. It’s coming, and it’s coming very soon.

In fact, I’m going to a review in less than an hour, although that doesn’t set a release time quite yet.

What I wonder about is this: What if someone says something is coming “in the next couple of days” or “within the next week” or “by the end of the month” and then testing reveals an issue that delays the implementation? Would you rather hear something rather specific, like “in the next couple of days,” even while you know that it could change for reasons outside our control? Or would you rather hear “soon” and not have as solid an expectation, but also take on board that the implementation is a top priority (as was mentioned in the thread about the Currency Exchange changes)?

I feel that either answer isn’t perfect, so I’d welcome your insights. You should know that I truly do understand that “soon” is frustratingly vague and I argue against.. I mean, “I gently speak in favor of alternatives…” whenever we can use something more meaningful. On the other hand, saying something more specific can result in flaming “You promised it by XX time!” comments, because even a casual possible release time could be adopted as an absolute date/time/time zone promise.

Thoughts?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I think what would be better Gaile is to say that said items in the store will be available post fix or not. That would be a better guideline for people, since that is a key point for this thread

There is no framework for soon that you can lay down in black or white – it is getting to the reason why people want something that will help you answer this.

Posted by: Sharrog.4192

Sharrog.4192

I think it should be combo of both. After ““in the next couple of days” or any other “soon” form fail you write that you have problems and it will take more time. Simple as that.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I feel that either answer isn’t perfect, so I’d welcome your insights. You should know that I truly do understand that “soon” is frustratingly vague and I argue against.. I mean, “I gently speak in favor of alternatives…” whenever we can use something more meaningful. On the other hand, saying something more specific can result in flaming “You promised it by XX time!” comments, because even a casual possible release time could be adopted as an absolute date/time/time zone promise.

Thoughts?

Maybe use a fixed time, but always with a disclaimer, like :
“We hope it will be ready next week, but we are not 100% sure if some problems may make it take a little longer.”

However as far as i know the people in forums some will always complain, but
something like that will maybe at least help those people that don’t complain
about everything and really just want some information

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Not next year, no. Not months from now, no. It’s coming, and it’s coming very soon.

In fact, I’m going to a review in less than an hour, although that doesn’t set a release time quite yet.

What I wonder about is this: What if someone says something is coming “in the next couple of days” or “within the next week” or “by the end of the month” and then testing reveals an issue that delays the implementation? Would you rather hear something rather specific, like “in the next couple of days,” even while you know that it could change for reasons outside our control? Or would you rather hear “soon” and not have as solid an expectation, but also take on board that the implementation is a top priority (as was mentioned in the thread about the Currency Exchange changes)?

Thoughts?

Anet could have rolled it back immediately and then taken the time to design the new interface that would would address the custom exchange options.
But ‘soon’ , imho, would have been included in the 2 updates since the change rolled out.

Labjax.2465

Thoughts?

Hmm. My instinct is that saying something like, “I’m going to a review in less than an hour, although that doesn’t set a release time quite yet.” Is one of the best ways to put it. Soon is so hated because it has become like a blanket term to refer to anything that could be done from now to never-actually-finished.

I don’t think being precise is necessarily necessary. Just giving us information on the situation, like you did with the quoted sentence there tells us, “It’s something that’s actively being worked on and progress is being made.”

The trouble with the ambiguity of any time estimation is that we don’t know whether progress is being made. A college student might say “I’m going to get my paper done soon” and then cram it all into one night full of redbull. :P I can’t speak for everybody, but I know I don’t want to perceive a professional company in that way – that it’s just this side thing getting rushed into the rest of the schedule at the end of a deadline; I want to believe that you are making steady progress and prioritizing in an organized way.

Does that make sense?

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Thoughts?

First off, I’d like to say that none of this is directed to you personally. People with any life experience know that you are just here to deliver the message and a lot of stuff is simply out of your control. I also understand that time estimates are never exact because the world doesn’t work like that especially involving corrections as you cannot simply turn a business on a dime. Of course, the perception of time for people that are waiting tends to be much faster than the people that are working on it.

My personal opinion is yes to set a date even that you may not make it. Estimates are not guarantees. However, even something more concrete as “don’t expect it within the next couple of days” prevents any self-cornering I would say.

The main point of contention is that products that are being released that have this issue and it does give the air that pocketing 100 more gems temporarily is more important. Though I do understand that releasing it later may not be optimal either, but it is what it is.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I’m definitely in favor of the former option, you could even name exact dates for certain releases, as long as you keep us informed if it’s gonna be delayed. I would not have any problems with this and I’m sick of this annoying soon­™ joke which is going around.

Fernling.1729

Not giving any useful information by saying “soon” kittenes off everybody. Saying “in a couple days” and then it taking a week because of unexpected issues only kittenes off the unreasonable people.
-The unreasonable people will complain no matter what you do
-The reasonable people will understand

Why kitten off both parties?

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

Thoughts?

Give us an ETA, emphasis on the E.

When people complain that the ETA was not exact, remind them that estimates are not promises! You could even include that reminder after every estimate. Something like this.

Hi guys,

Don’t worry, this change is in review right now. It will probably be released in the next few days (remember: estimates are not promises). We’ll keep you informed.

-Hypothetical Anet Dev

If a player reads a post like that, and comes back five days later demanding that Anet make good on their promise, it is only because of that player’s stupidity. I hope that the community will address that player’s comments without Anet needed it intervene at all.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

Stuff like this isn’t put on some conspiracy back burner for nefarious reasons. Someone is working on it and when it’s ready they will patch it. In some cases this requires a new build deployment, in which case most times those are deployed with numerous other updates (you would hate it if they made you patch the game for one thing) Unless it is something overwhelmingly game breaking, in which case they will patch immediately.

For this I imagine since the BLTC is browser based, they can deploy it without any interruption to the game client and those logged into the server. In fact since they changed the browser platform it might require little on the user end other than refreshing (closing the BLTC browser and reopening).

Just take a deep breath folks, I’m sure they understand your frustration… if they say they are fixing it, they are fixing it.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Thoughts?

After you go to the review can you please get back to me about the graph?

If you already answered in the other thread I think I missed it. If that’s the case I apologize in advance.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Not giving any useful information by saying “soon” kittenes off everybody. Saying “in a couple days” and then it taking a week because of unexpected issues only kittenes off the unreasonable people.
-The unreasonable people will complain no matter what you do
-The reasonable people will understand

Why kitten off both parties?

Despite the onslaught of “kittens” in this post, I get it. I only hope that the number of raesonables is far, far greater than the unreasonables.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

Definitely definitely prefer something specific to soon. I mean, if you give us an estimate and then notify us that its changed, that’s twice we’ve heard a real honest answer. :-)

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Give us an ETA, emphasis on the E.

When people complain that the ETA was not exact, remind them that estimates are not promises! You could even include that reminder after every estimate. Something like this.

Hi guys,

Don’t worry, this change is in review right now. It will probably be released in the next few days (remember: estimates are not promises). We’ll keep you informed.

-Hypothetical Anet Dev

If a player reads a post like that, and comes back five days later demanding that Anet make good on their promise, it is only because of that player’s stupidity. I hope that the community will address that player’s comments without Anet needed it intervene at all.

This is very sensible. Thanks for the input.

Definitely definitely prefer something specific to soon. I mean, if you give us an estimate and then notify us that its changed, that’s twice we’ve heard a real honest answer. :-)

I like that too. Thank you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’d go with:

“We’ve designed the fix and are testing it now. I’ll be at a review in an hour to get more information. If all goes well we’ll have it out by tomorrow; our goal is to have it out before the Halloween event ends at the latest. I’ll let you know if any problems arise in that schedule.”

Lots of conditionals, but lets us know the current status. Then if bugs happen, you can update it with “Sorry, but the fix is breaking other parts of the BLTP. We’re ironing those out / and still hope to get this to you while Halloween is active/ OR / but it’s a major issue so it’s no longer likely we can do it that quickly.” And possibly extend gem shop item availability until such time as the fix is in.

You don’t have to say what is breaking, or to the hour when you’ll patch, but none of what I proposed breaks any corporate secrets imo.

Posted by: DomAltares.8651

DomAltares.8651

Hi Gaile.

Since the purpose of the OP was to bring to light his unwillingness and/or inability to convert gold to gems in a fixed amount over and above what would be necessary to purchase these Halloween themed items, would it be possible for someone from Anet to give us a response to either of the following:

These items will remain available until this gem conversion issue has been patched, or;

The patch should be released before the items are already scheduled to become unavailable.

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

What I wonder about is this: What if someone says something is coming “in the next couple of days” or “within the next week” or “by the end of the month” and then testing reveals an issue that delays the implementation?

Thoughts?

“Hey players,

We’ve found a small issue with new feature Blah, so we’ll have to delay it for a few more days while we’re resolving this problem. New estimated delivery time (save some unexpected circumstances) is next week. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks!"

:)

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

The best solution imo, would have been to list the gold equivalent prices right next to the gem prices of every item in the gem store, then at the top somewhere, list the gold to gem conversion ratio for whatever it is at the time.

Some people would get mad because they wouldn’t be able to straight up buy gems with gold, then save those gems to convert back to gold for later. However, this would have avoided having a separate tab forcing you to convert gems first, and would have avoided almost every player related issue with the gem store from the start.

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

Would you rather hear something rather specific, like “in the next couple of days,” even while you know that it could change for reasons outside our control?

Yes, I would.

Go ahead and preface it with something like, “If all goes according to plan, we expect to release this feature in an update within the next two weeks. But please remember that if QA finds any significant bugs then we may need to delay the feature until the following month to ensure we deliver the quality you expect from us. We know this feature is very important to you all, and we will let you all know if the schedule needs to slip.”

Yeah, if the schedule needs to slip you’re going to have a few people stomping their feet and gnashing their teeth while screaming “you PROMISED we’d get it in TWO WEEKS!!!” But I think those people would be a lot fewer than the current number of people who are upset with having to figure out whether “soon” means “we’re putting on the finishing touches” or “we’re seriously thinking about it but haven’t actually done much with it yet.”

And you guys just need to do what Scotty (from Star Trek) does: always tell your captain (or your customer) that a task will take two to three times longer than you think. If there’s a delay, you’ll still meet their expectations. But if it goes according to your plan, then you look like a miracle worker. Tell people the feature will be coming next month, then release it the next week and everyone will be saying “Wow! You guys must have really put out some extra effort to deliver this early! Thank you for giving so much attention to this and supporting your customers!” Wouldn’t that be so much better than “You guys stink! Do you even have a plan?! You’re flying by the seat of your pants. This game is dying. I’m going to go post something from the MMO Manifesto video and misquote Mike O’Brien to show how much you’ve let us down.”

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

“We hope it will be ready next week, but we are not 100% sure if some problems may make it take a little longer.”

The problem is they TRIED that method, even with multiple disclaimers, and were raked over the coals for it.

It’s why I kinda roll my eyes whenever fans complain Arena.net never talks to them. The attitude of far too many players could use adjustment as well.

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Thoughts?

The way I generally take vague rough estimates is like this:

“A couple of days” means anywhere from 1-10 days, usually 2-5.

“A few weeks” is like 1-4 weeks.

“A few months” is 1-3 months.

Anything beyond that is “within the next quarter/season/year.”

If estimated development/implementation time doesn’t pan out, I like to hear “X feature hit a snag with (broad Y issue) and we’ve had to delay for another (Z amount of time) or so.”

“Soon” is the most aggravating word possible because it could mean any of those things.

Fernling.1729

The problem is they TRIED that method, even with multiple disclaimers, and were raked over the coals for it.

It’s why I kinda roll my eyes whenever fans complain Arena.net never talks to them. The attitude of far too many players could use adjustment as well.

We all know that the forums represent a minority. Considering it wasn’t everybody on the forums complaining, we are looking at a tiny minority of a minority that even complained. Why should everyone suffer for the complaining(it was only complaining, nothing substantial) for the actions of less than a hundred people?
I don’t know the exact number, but I haven’t seen that many people actually complain about being lied to in regards to Anet giving us their release plan. The manifesto is an entire different story.

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

Did they not tell us that precursor crafting had a set back because of new reward structures? Did that lessen the complains about no precursor crafting? Not at all.

Oh and thanks Gaile for info, I’m looking forward to getting the items.

(edited by KngGilgamesh.3481)

Posted by: Mr Snotty Pants.3980

Mr Snotty Pants.3980

As someone said above: Unreasonable folks are impossible to please, so don’t set your policy on their behavior. Assume folks are reasonable, cause they are the ones you can please.

The current communication policy leads to frustrations like the Traits and Greatest Fear discussions. Months and months of no communication at all — that pleases nobody.

insanemaniac.2456

@gaile:

personally, i found this response quite fine. you said the CE will be offering… and thats the only important word in the whole post. its definitive. and because i know a little about how anet has historically operated on these forums, thats unparalleled assurance that this feature is imminently upon us.

frankly, i dont really care how soon is soon because you guys dont talk about upcoming features unless theyre already rock solid and guaranteed, and anything with that much weight doesnt stay out of live for very long.

so to improve upon your communication to everyone of what i drew from your post, maybe you could like make that single word take up my whole page in a giant, bold, underlined, halloween themed font, so that any whiny kitten gets the point that the feature is practically guaranteed because you said it is coming, not that its in the process, not that youre thinking about it, not that you cant talk about it right now, and not that you like the idea of it.

Schwarzseher.9873

Thoughts?

Lets hope you are right and it will implemented in the next 2-3 weeks.

Previous

Gaile Gray

I saw the test of the new interface today and it looks solid to me. (I also happen to think it’s very attractive, but maybe that’s just me. )

The interface and Custom option move into testing now, and the text is already headed to Localization.

The dev team is keenly aware that there are Halloween items available only during a specific period (through November 4) and therefore they intend to do their darnedest to offer the new options in the next few days but certainly in advance of November 4th if humanly possible. (I have confidence this will happen.)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Thoughts?

The answer is to revert to the old system that worked while the new one is being fixed. Instead of leaving the one in the game that makes everyone feel like they’re being used.