Carnival Weapons

Carnival Weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Solzero.5380

Solzero.5380

Wow talk about ugly. These have to be the worst weapon design so far. I wouldn’t mind so much if these cost karma, but 50-150g for exotic butt ugly weapons is simply not worth it. If anet is going to create a sink at least make it worth while… the tittle is meh and so is the AP. Personally its not worth the 1000g. Its like they don’t even care.

What if you fail? You will. Then, you move on.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I’m not sure what you’re complaining about. There’s an expensive weapon set that you dislike? Well that works in your favour considering you don’t have to buy any of them.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

They sort of remind me of the beaded weapons you can craft. However the prices for these are way to high. It’s like arenanet wanted to say they had new weapons for the zone but wanted them only available for the few.

They could have made them rare drops instead. Even rare drops and account bound to keep them off the trading post and only for HoT players who go to Ember Bay.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: VannaDC.9684

VannaDC.9684

It is not about complaining, I think it’s a big disappointment that us as player are waiting for new weapon/designs/skins and they give us this. From an designer point of view these are simply mediocre and uninspiring . I Totally agree with the op, this type of design will not come in my inventory.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I think they look….entertaining. By far not the worst weapons set I have seen in our game.

I have to also agree, the price is WAAAAAAAAY over the top. I won’t be having any of these weapons anytime soon…:)

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They look okay. Might get the warhorn at some point. The greatsword also doubles as a can opener in case your character ever runs into any giant cans that need opening…

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Wow talk about ugly. These have to be the worst weapon design so far. I wouldn’t mind so much if these cost karma, but 50-150g for exotic butt ugly weapons is simply not worth it. If anet is going to create a sink at least make it worth while… the tittle is meh and so is the AP. Personally its not worth the 1000g. Its like they don’t even care.

Speak for yourself, I spent 1000g for the 5 AP.

But yes the weapons are ugly (in my opinion) and there is no reason to buy them if Anet does not make a collection for them.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

The devs are building off of a bigger theme here and I won’t go into my speculations.

It’s funny you call them “ugly” and “worst design”, but would buy them with karma… If you don’t like the style then don’t buy them, but being rude because of the gold cost makes you look silly.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

It’s a gold sink for those who have to “collect them all”.

Nothing more.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I’m pretty sure before the release they said this map will have new weapons that are only obtained by drops….

Perhaps we CAN get them from drops but the vendor is there as a backup option for those who complain about RNG?

Besides all that I actually like most of this set. They have impressed me more than a lot of the recent Gemstore ones. But of course, to each their own.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Well, if you’re going to bother to design new weapon skins, why not make them appealing? Maybe it’s just me, maybe I don’t get the design themes going on in this game and so it’s the wrong game for me, but IMO, there’s a lot of unappealing design work going on in this game.

Carnival Weapons

Solzero.5380

The devs are building off of a bigger theme here and I won’t go into my speculations.

It’s funny you call them “ugly” and “worst design”, but would buy them with karma… If you don’t like the style then don’t buy them, but being rude because of the gold cost makes you look silly.

What I am saying is that for example if it would cost 50k-150k karma ea weapon instead of gold I would of bought them JUST for the tittle and AP I am willing to spend karma on a tittle and AP but not 1000g. The skins it self are not very appealing nor do I have any interest in neither of them. All these weapons are a very lame gold sink.

Carnival Weapons

Solzero.5380

Well, if you’re going to bother to design new weapon skins, why not make them appealing? Maybe it’s just me, maybe I don’t get the design themes going on in this game and so it’s the wrong game for me, but IMO, there’s a lot of unappealing design work going on in this game.

This is exactly my point.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Wow, I must be in the minority, but I really like the carnival weapons. They’ll fit the theme of my jester mesmer perfectly (especially that scepter)!

I am, however, a little disappointed that there isn’t a floppy jester’s cap to go along with the set. Maybe soon, I can only hope!

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

@OP, dont like it? ignore it, its a skrit trap…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I like the design. Not enough to purchase the whole set because of the Gold cost, but I may buy 1 or 3.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• No matter how ugly you think a skin is, a lot of people will love it.
  • No matter how much you love a skin, a lot of people will hate it.

No matter how many skins ANet releases (realistically), there will never be ‘enough’ that we want to spend time and/or coin and/or other currencies on. There will never be enough offered for coin alone or RNG alone or skill alone.

So I ignore 80-90% of skins for my wardrobe because they just aren’t interesting enough to me. I’m happy when, every so often, they release something that catches my eye. (Then, I go out to acquire it, after seeing the ophthalmologist.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Not a skritt trap.

They don’t have that shine.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Carnival Weapons

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But yes the weapons are ugly (in my opinion) and there is no reason to buy them if Anet does not make a collection for them.

I have to wonder why you didn’t wait the 10 days (each) for the discount. You would have eventually caught up on the measly 5 AP. Of course, with 30 accounts, I suppose Gold is no object.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

Different people have different opinions on what is appealing.

IMO every single backpack is trash but I still see every single kitten with massive wings.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Sernius Alathar.6538

Sernius Alathar.6538

I think alot of people missed the point the OP-posed. The issue isn’t how nice/ugly the set is. It’s ludicrously priced, drop a 0 then sure, that’s reasonable, if you want a comparison consider t3 cultural items, they are probably the most premium armor/weapons available for purchase in the game and they don’t even hit half-way the cost of the carnival ones.

This patch has been a big step backwards as far as monetisation goes. 1k gold jester weapon set, new scribe decos that cost 9500 fractal relics, ascended armor/weapons in the fractal lobby more expensive than the actual craft price, fractal tonic costing 1500 pristines instead of being an achievement reward for completing all fractals lvl 1-100.

There has been alot of strange choices with regards to costing. Whether it gives you an achievement or not, whether you think they are ugly or not, the price is too high comparatively.

Carnival Weapons

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think alot of people missed the point the OP-posed. The issue isn’t how nice/ugly the set is. It’s ludicrously priced, drop a 0 then sure, that’s reasonable, if you want a comparison consider t3 cultural items, they are probably the most premium armor/weapons available for purchase in the game and they don’t even hit half-way the cost of the carnival ones.

This patch has been a big step backwards as far as monetisation goes. 1k gold jester weapon set, new scribe decos that cost 9500 fractal relics, ascended armor/weapons in the fractal lobby more expensive than the actual craft price, fractal tonic costing 1500 pristines instead of being an achievement reward for completing all fractals lvl 1-100.

There has been alot of strange choices with regards to costing. Whether it gives you an achievement or not, whether you think they are ugly or not, the price is too high comparatively.

It’s not unreasonably priced — it’s about the same price as BL skins sets on the TP, on average (that’s before the karma discount).

• Total costs: 1700 gold; Average: 106 g
  • With karma discount: total = 1360g; avg = 85
  • For comparison, the Zodiac set has an average TP cost of ~84 gold
  • 10 sets currently cost less than that (on average, per weapon); 14 sets are more than 110g on average

These are exotics, whereas BL skins are …just skins and T3 cultural weapons are rares (and sell for karma, not gold).

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s not unreasonably priced — it’s about the same price as BL skins sets on the TP, on average (that’s before the karma discount).

• 10 sets currently cost less than that (on average, per weapon); 14 sets are more than 110g on average

These are exotics, whereas BL skins are …just skins and T3 cultural weapons are rares (and sell for karma, not gold).

One big difference between the black lion skins and this though is that you get 6 tickets back for getting a full set of black lion weapons which offsets the costs, as well as 3 achievement points. The 6 tickets means the black lion weapons get a rebate worth around 480 to 600 gold and substantially lowers the cost of getting the full set.

While you can argue that you’re getting exotics rather than skins, most people already have exotics at least, if not ascended., and probably don’t need these. That means they’ll either salvage (if it’s possible to salvage these) or mystic forge in hopes of getting something good. Usually you’ll get a 2 or 3 gold exotic back from mystic forging 4 exotics though.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

The problem here of course with this comparison is that the TP skins value is driven by supply and demand and will change accordingly due to that. The prices of these wont change ever unless anet decides to change them.

Having said that I still hope that they drop in this map as was said before the release of the map about some kind of wep drops being only acquired this way.

Having said that tho I think the prices are fine.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

I like the carnival weapons – they have a sense of epic nostalgia to them.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

One of the worst weapon sets I have seen in gw2.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Conski Deshan.2057

Conski Deshan.2057

The problem here of course with this comparison is that the TP skins value is driven by supply and demand and will change accordingly due to that. The prices of these wont change ever unless anet decides to change them.

Having said that I still hope that they drop in this map as was said before the release of the map about some kind of wep drops being only acquired this way.

Having said that tho I think the prices are fine.

I think the biggest problem here is that they chose to make it a gold based weapon set, given the quantity of existing weapon sets based on gold including all the black lion ones. There were better options for the implementation of this set and pure gold seems like a waste.

They could have been made a drop set, or awarded like the other items on the map for a combination of karma and logs. (Lets not use the gold sink excuse as that’s a tired and inaccurate one). Which would have added more to the map in terms of rewards, instead they can be lobbed with the black lion sets.

heck an alternative would have been to allow 1 purchase a day for completing all 5 of the hearts each day.

It could have been a reward system instead its just another gold grind.

[RoF] and [BL] guild leader
11x level 80’s 80+ Titles 2600+ skins , still a long way to go.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I have to wonder why you didn’t wait the 10 days (each) for the discount. You would have eventually caught up on the measly 5 AP. Of course, with 30 accounts, I suppose Gold is no object.

I did not buy the Carnival weapons, I bought the patronage. They are different things from the same NPC.
At the moment Carnival weapons have no collection, so I will not spend 1360g (with vouchers = 160 days time gate) on them.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Naw, they’re carnies. It’s a different kind of rip off than a skritt vendor trap.
Just be glad it doesn’t involve a pay-for-glitch minigame to earn them.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Definitely not a fan of them either.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: JakHammer.7094

JakHammer.7094

Like every set there are a few I like and some I really dislike. The basic idea of Carnival Glass as a theme is pretty cool. But a lot of the specific weapons are meh at best, and a few are really awful.

My question is, do the Jester’s bells on the Scepter JINGLE? If they do, that then becomes a must have.

I also like that GW2 is willing to make boundary testing sets that will not appeal to everyone, but question exactly when they choose to release them sometimes. If this set does turn out to have a strong connection to a major plot element well ok then.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I find them really funny. Sadly I don’t have any funny character to use them. Would be a perfect match whit those absurd guacamayo wings!

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Found it slightly odd that the vouchers are are worth different amount depending on the type of weapon.

Carnival Weapons

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I did not buy the Carnival weapons, I bought the patronage. They are different things from the same NPC.
At the moment Carnival weapons have no collection, so I will not spend 1360g (with vouchers = 160 days time gate) on them.

Ah, my bad. Since this thread was about Carnival Weapons, and not other items, I was confused. My apologies.

Carnival Weapons

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Like every set there are a few I like and some I really dislike. The basic idea of Carnival Glass as a theme is pretty cool. But a lot of the specific weapons are meh at best, and a few are really awful.

My question is, do the Jester’s bells on the Scepter JINGLE? If they do, that then becomes a must have.

I also like that GW2 is willing to make boundary testing sets that will not appeal to everyone, but question exactly when they choose to release them sometimes. If this set does turn out to have a strong connection to a major plot element well ok then.

It seems all the Carnival weapons have a jingle draw-weapon sound, that plays occasionally.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

Well what did you expect? Theme parks and carnivals always sell you overpriced junk – be it souviners or food.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Found it slightly odd that the vouchers are are worth different amount depending on the type of weapon.

That’s because they’re giving a percentage discount off the base price, which is cheapest for off-hand, medium for one-hand, and highest for two-handed.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I don’t think they’re “bad” as much as I think with they went way too hardcore in to a very niche and poorly associated theme.

First, in spite of their similarity in purpose, jester and clowns do not evoke the same themes, medieval courts and mardi gras have jesters, carnivals and circuses have clowns; they have very different cultural significance and very well seperated thematic identifiers.

Second, they went way too hardcore in to the jester theme, and even in to a very specific aspect of the jester, being that bloody jester hat. If they had made weapons based on various aspects of the carnival instead of the utter repetition of that one thing; like some weapons themed around the clowns, some themed around the lion tamers, some around the strongman, the acrobats, and the ringmaster and so on, it would feel a whole lot more like a carnival set of weapons instead of a really repetitious jester theme.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I wont say that they are bad, but they dont really appeal to me.

I agree with the sentiment expressed in this thread that, if one doesnt like a skin, one should not buy it.

On the other hand I understand the frustration of someone waiting for new skins to add to a characters’ wardrobe only to see another unappealing set.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: MarySueLlama.8136

MarySueLlama.8136

There’s no question, whether you like the Carnival weapons or not, they’re obscenely overpriced. I could see maybe paying 50g for the entire set, but not one item. My biggest problem with this is that it’s like a ‘pay to play’ thing. Either you are catering to players with real life money, or players with enough real life time on their hands to grind the living crap out of in-game gold. I work full-time at a job that just barely pays the bills, and in what spare time I can get, I play GW2 to try to relax, to get some escapism. But it’s not escapism if you’re reminded of your real life financial situation while playing the game. One look at these Carnival weapons and I know, “hey, I may as well not even look, because these are out of my league.” That’s not how someone should have to feel when they’re playing a game for fun. That’s how I feel in real life with most any store I walk into. And Anet I know that’s not your problem, but, it just feels bad, man.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Didn’t see this last time the thread was posted, but since it was necroed I’ll respond now.

That discount isn’t much of a discount if you think about it. For one, it will take half a year to get the discount for the entire set. For another, the discount per weapon involves 10 days, + 105,000 karma to get 10-20 gold off per weapon. At 10 days per “discount” you could just do dailies and earn at least as much, up to double, the amount of gold that would be discounted via using your karma to purchase the vouchers.

Its just not that much of a discount, especially when you factor in the amount of time it takes to get the entire set. Now if the vouchers knocked 50% off of the liquid gold price, it would be a different matter. Then you would have a real choice versus spending 1,700 gold up front, or spending half a year doing that heart in Ember Bay to “only” spend 700 gold for the set. That is what the discount should have been, but as long as its kept at 20%, the number of vouchers needs to be reduced to ~4.

Carnival Weapons

Posted by: Skyworn.5920

Skyworn.5920

I’m rich, you know.

Carnival Weapons

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There’s no question, whether you like the Carnival weapons or not, they’re obscenely overpriced. I could see maybe paying 50g for the entire set, but not one item.

They are priced commensurately with BL skins fresh from Evon Gnashblade. Typically, those start at ~80-110g (depending on how they are received) and drop to 40-60g in a week or three.

The entire plasma set (the current release) can be obtained for 600 gold, for example. Currently, six sets cost the same (in approximate total TP costs) as the Carnival set (Bloodstone, Cavalier, Daydreamer, Leyline, Lovestruck, & Soaring; the first three of which are available for 3 tickets/skin). 16 sets (of terrestrial-only skins) cost more; 11 sets (including plasma) cost less.

So I can’t agree that these are “obscenely expensive.” They just cost enough that people have to think hard about which — if any — skins they want.

People have long asked ANet to release more skins to be available for in-game currency, not subject to the vagaries of RNG drop rates or supply & demand. Here’s an example where you don’t even have to grind a local map currency… and people (presumably not the same ones) are complaining.
—————————————————

The short story is that ANet will never be able to release enough new skins quickly enough to satiate our ever-changing desires. I personally like when the skins are pricey, as it means that people think twice about what they want to acquire, which makes each skin more meaningful to all of us.

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)