Champions of the Unfought.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Our first listing: A Champion Risen Spider in Sparkfly Fen.

That thing is nasty, I wandered in while mapping on a warrior, I didn’t initially realize that it was a champ. A few seconds later and I was immobile and the hatchlings were snacking on me. No condition remover meant I died very quickly

I remember fighting that one with a friend. It was funny because he was on his mesmer. In the middle of the fight he said “looks like other people came join in the fight” then a few moments later “oh wait those are just my clones”.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

The Champion Ogotl Priestess in Brisban Wildlands just SW of the vista that you have to get to through Skrittsburg Center. I haven’t seen anyone in many times visiting

This one, I take it?

I actually tried to fight her and found that she’s a machine gun dart shooter, so….yeah, no wonder she goes unfought, along with her being very out of the way to get to.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

The Champion Ogotl Priestess in Brisban Wildlands just SW of the vista that you have to get to through Skrittsburg Center. I haven’t seen anyone in many times visiting

This one, I take it?

I actually tried to fight her and found that she’s a machine gun dart shooter, so….yeah, no wonder she goes unfought, along with her being very out of the way to get to.

That’s the one

Up until the “new” boss chests, the rewards for killing her were horrid. Makes me wonder what her rewards are on the new scale…

Level 80 Elementalist

Khisanth.2948

This one, I take it?

That’s the one

Up until the “new” boss chests, the rewards for killing her were horrid. Makes me wonder what her rewards are on the new scale…

In the beta killing her spawned a big chest (like a world boss). It seems like they might have forgotten to adjust the difficulty for the reward or the chest was removed by accident.

Nilkemia.8507

I’m back!

I found another very out-of-the-way champion in Metrica Province, of all places.

It’s…another champion spider queen in a hidden cave full of spiders. Yuck. And she’s guarding a Rich Copper Vein. If you care about that. (shrugs)

Attachments:

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

I posted this in another thread but got moved to the Suggestions subforum which is rarely visited so I wanted to post this here becuase it tackles the same issue anyways..

I could care less with how much is being earned by whom. However, if I wanted to experience open world events in Tyria, I want it to be as engaging as it can be. Right now, although open world seems much livelier with players, the encounters become trivialized much like what happened to world events when they added guaranteed rare drops from chests. While other events like these Unfought Champions are ignored to the ground. There has to be a way to balance these two extremes out. The obviously glaring issue is that the effort to reward ratio is rather off compared to doing other world events and champions that require some sort of coordination to start up or finish, dungeons or jumping puzzles or pretty much anything else. And it spoils the game for the rest that doesn’t want to zerg all day.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want them nerfing the loots. I just want that state where each and every part of the game offers rewards based on time and effort invested REGARDLESS of how many people participate in it. The core problem I see here is that any kind of event becomes a brain-dead auto attack fest when more than 20+ or 50+ players join in. And that other events are much harder to initiate and complete while others have pre-events that can be waited out and then stand in one spot and auto attack the boss but these events give EQUAL chances of obtaining the same rewards. That’s just ridiculous. And that’s basically the reason why not all events in every zone are being actively participated in right now. People will go for the easiest ones since they give the same rewards anyways.

The rewards are now worth it if you consider, say, a solo player who wants to challenge champs or a party of 5 roaming around Tyria doing the same. But if a massive zerg forms a determined route because of the lame fixed timers on boss respawn, the events and champs suck so bad, I’d rather send all these farm-whores back to CoF P1 if easy peasy loot is all what they wanted. It’s the scaling that they need to fix. And the stupid fixed timers on events. If these two are adjusted accordingly, we might see some improvement. I said MIGHT because there will always be that group of players that will find the most optimal way of gaining the most loot per hour along a path of least resistance.

And here’s the kicker about Champ loots. Yeah, different monster types drop different kinds of bags but there are bags that drop more and better unique boss weapons compared to others. And these skins can be easily bought and sold off the TP. As if they never learned from the Legendary weapons. Ugh. If I wanted a unique champ skin, but that champ is hardly ever farmed, I am much better off joining the farm train to get as many bags as I can per hour, sell all loots and unique weapons I don’t like off the TP, earn gold and buy the one I wanted. The value of these supposedly rare skins become so low that wielding one doesn’t give you the opportunity to be proud like: “Hey I slayed this giant Champ somewhere and got rewarded with this cool skin because of my effort.” Instead, like how legendaries are right now, when I see a cool unique looking weapon, I’m just like: “Wow, you must have totally farmed your kitten off to get rich and acquire all the gold you got to buy that weapon off from the TP.”

And to be on topic: there are a couple Champion Branded in Iron Marches. But nobody goes there except for players doing map completion and some guilds doing bounty hunt so..

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

(edited by Gallrvaghn.4921)

Nilkemia.8507

Two for one this time, in the Brisban Wildlands.

First, a Champion Malfuntioning Golem. Basically a Champion Mark II.

Second, the Unseen Hunter which is part of a dynamic event you can “solo” without too much trouble. Despite being a champion, he seems to have little to no armor, since I can hit him for around a thousand HP per hit. Also notable is that this boss has complete immunity to all conditions, though crowd controls still work. (defiant notwithstanding)

Attachments:

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I feel pretty good about having done almost all of these champs Aurora Glade rocks

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Nilkemia.8507

Off to Timberline Falls this time. Managed to spy a Champion Risen Abomination doing his daily jog in the river. Even the Risen need to keep in shape too.

Attachments:

Nilkemia.8507

There’s a random champion ram in the Krongar Pass portion of Timberline Falls, SW of the Kyesjard PoI and up on the cliffs. Unfortunately, he’s not guarding anything.

This the one? Neat find there. Nice to see a champion that doesn’t try to murder you on sight.

Attachments:

Nilkemia.8507

This one, while not quite unfought, is probably only fought when people want the skill point up here.

Attachments:

Nilkemia.8507

While this post won’t show another obscure(?) champion, it’s something I’ve noticed regarding champions.

There tend to be 3 categories champions can fall into:

1) All melee. They may have attacks to close the gap, but they are all melee. You can just kite these guys to death.

2) Mainly melee, with some ranged attacks. Noticing the tells and dodging the range attacks is important, but you pretty much can still kite them to death. Most champions seem to be in this middle category.

3) Champions with a focus on ranged attacks. These are the painful ones, since avoiding their attacks is far more troublesome, and depending on your class, reflects and blocks aren’t always around, so it comes to dodging and hoping you don’t run out of endurance. These ones are generally avoided, or only fought with a group, since you can’t kite them like ones that focus on melee.

Posted by: bradderzh.2378

bradderzh.2378

There’s a Branded champion in Iron Marches (Victurus the Shattered). NEVER seen anyone trying to take him.

Solo’d this guy today with a trap ranger while doing map comp. He was easy, most of his damaging attacks are slowcast aoe shatter, and as a ranger they would most likely be aimed at my pet devourer.

In reference to ascended items:
Nar: I love that it will take me time and money to
reach the same level I’m at right now… …said no one, ever.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The Champion Giant in far Eastern Harathi in the caves. He has an obscene amount of health!

The Krait Queen in south Timberline deserves a mention. Few do her simply because she seems to hit harder than the Elder Dragons and Shiro combined…

Khisanth.2948

The Champion Giant in far Eastern Harathi in the caves. He has an obscene amount of health!

The Krait Queen in south Timberline deserves a mention. Few do her simply because she seems to hit harder than the Elder Dragons and Shiro combined…

There is a duplicate of the krait in mount maelstrom. Neither are worth the effort. There is hitting hard and there is covering nearly the entire platform with AoE. Then there is summoning veterans. On top of that I believe the summons includes the ones that will knockback. So your choices are to get knocked off and reset the fight or possibly dodge into AoE which will cover you with every condition. All that just for the usual champion loot and a normal chest.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Noone ever visits this poor guy…

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_Ooze_King

He’s getting so lonely :’(

Posted by: semiramis.7264

semiramis.7264

There’s an event in Brisban in which you fight a champion demagogue, that should be familiar to gw1 players:)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Noone ever visits this poor guy…

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_Ooze_King

He’s getting so lonely :’(

He gets a regular kicking on our server. Twice by me yesterday in fact!!

Posted by: Alacrity.4312

Alacrity.4312

What about champion loot increasing (or decreasing) the longer (shorter) it stays up? What I’m saying that like EXP people should be rewarded for doing champions that aren’t usually killed!

that’s a brilliant suggestion!

There’s a champ Modniir at the bottom of the mines in Halrathi
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blackhold_Mine_Camp
I sometimes go down to ninja his chest, but only ever killed him once (with a small group)

Khisanth.2948

What about champion loot increasing (or decreasing) the longer (shorter) it stays up? What I’m saying that like EXP people should be rewarded for doing champions that aren’t usually killed!

that’s a brilliant suggestion!

There’s a champ Modniir at the bottom of the mines in Halrathi
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blackhold_Mine_Camp
I sometimes go down to ninja his chest, but only ever killed him once (with a small group)

It wouldn’t really change much. Just like EXP there would be a cap. It would just extend the farming into multiple maps. Maybe not even that.

Also while more exp is very visible and it even shows up in the log. “better loot” would be completely invisible. It is not something someone is going to notice unless they go around farming champions with a stopwatch and possibly taking notes of the loot drops.

Nilkemia.8507

I happened to be in Dredgehaunt Cliffs and spotted two more champions.

1: A champion ice wurm just chilling out here. Until the Twisted and some players showed up, that is.

2: A champion Jotun Magekiller terrorizing a Priory camp.

Since there was an invasion this time, people showed up, but I’m not sure if people go to fight them normally. Could be wrong though.

Attachments:

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Champion Wave Rider at the extended end of the Stepping stones JP (Where the second chest is.)

I ? Karkas.

Khisanth.2948

Champion Wave Rider at the extended end of the Stepping stones JP (Where the second chest is.)

Reef Rider.
Not killing that one is pretty reasonable since just getting to it requires extra effort.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Reef Rider.
Not killing that one is pretty reasonable since just getting to it requires extra effort.

Oh, right. It’s still pretty unkilled, though. In fact I don’t think anyone remembers it exists because it doesn’t have an event either.

I ? Karkas.

Khisanth.2948

I used to harass it on a daily basis for the blooming passiflora.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

I told my wife the same thing the day the new rewards went in. It would completely gut the champ farm trains.

Only problem I can think of is they tied all the good loot to the champ boxes so it would either take some tweaking on the loot boxes or just upping champs chances to drop the good stuff in conjunction with the boxes.

I’d guess they are waiting to see where the champ farming settles for the long term.

Nilkemia.8507

And another one in Mount Malestrom that is unfought because she never gets out of that tower!

We’ll get you, one day… (shakes fist)

Attachments:

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I tried to go champ hunting with my guild the other day.

“Hey anyone want to go hunting for champs?”
“Like the train in Orr or Frostgorge?”
“Err… no, like going out there and try to find new champs to hunt.”
“No thanks, gotta grind bags for ascended.”

It wasn’t like that word for word, but the meaning was there

Whatever happened to playing the game for FUN?!

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

The Krait Witch in Timberline
The Inquest Champ in Timberline

Pretty much every boss in Ebonhawk..and maps above..

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

The Crab and 2 champ Krill on the SW corner of Malchor’s, that whole event is soloable if you have the patience to whack on Krill for a loooooong time. I can confirm the krill drop chests. North of them far out in the water on the West edge of Malchor’s is a Risen Captain and her pet vet drake. I forget the names atm.

For that matter, I see the risen Hylek In Malchor’s up and unmolested often. He patrols with a pet drake in the water below Lyssa’s Union Waypoint. Bonus – if you kill him a Quaggan vendor pops. He sells spy kits.

Not sure if these count for your criteria since they aren’t really hidden. Just tied to little-done quests:

There are also the two event-bound champs in the waters of western Malchor’s. The inquest island facility you have to infiltrate will eventually spawn a soloable champ golem. You will probably need at least 2 good underwater fighters to get through the event chain to get to him though. The quaggan village quests in the water also lead to a champion krait I haven’t been able to solo him – he shoots too much.

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

There’s a Champion Giant Devourer in Fields of Ruin. Has tons of HP and obvious AOE knockbak attacks. Kind of annoying but I soloed it for quite a long time with a staff ele XD

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Lt. Kholer

Also a champion Charr at the end of a mini dungeon in the zone just north of the AC dungeon zone. Forget what it is called. Its an underwater fight.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I would love if they put someone on going through and adjusting the rewards for these champ mobs slightly depending on just how hard they are.

I posted a similar suggestion a while back suggesting that the rewards should scale with the exp bonus based on how long it’s been since the specific mob was killed.

I think that’d be a good incentive for the exploration ANet wants.

Khisanth.2948

Lt. Kholer

Also a champion Charr at the end of a mini dungeon in the zone just north of the AC dungeon zone. Forget what it is called. Its an underwater fight.

That is from http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_Temple_Tombs

Nilkemia.8507

There’s an event in Brisban in which you fight a champion demagogue, that should be familiar to gw1 players:)

This guy? Who knew there were norn in the White Mantle as well?

Attachments:

Nilkemia.8507

Also in Brisban Wildlands..not one, not two, but at least five champion bandits standing on the walls of Fort Vandal. At Lv80… is there even a way in there?

Attachments:

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

There is a Champion Skale in fireheart rise that only appears after you kill two Veteran Skales by a waterfall.

Khisanth.2948

Also in Brisban Wildlands..not one, not two, but at least five champion bandits standing on the walls of Fort Vandal. At Lv80… is there even a way in there?

Those are obviously not meant to be fought. Even if they weren’t champions they would be one shooting anyone who tries to fight them.

Some people have found what is probably unintended ways to get in. They might have been fixed. If I remember correctly there is an inactive asura gate inside.

Nilkemia.8507

In the Fields of Ruin. I think this guy may have been mentioned already, but just in case..

Attachments:

Posted by: JudgeD.5673

JudgeD.5673

I’ve tried shooting at them. It leads to being two-shot. 83k dmg if I recall right, likely due to being down leveled to 24.
Otherwise, the Inquest champ in Timberline can possibly be soloed (but I’ve yet to do it successfully), and I’ve seen some of these other champs, including the Modniir champ in NW Snowden, but the only one I’ve killed on occasion is the Champ Ice Wurm south of the Priory in Lornars.

The Robertsons – Julie, Lyana, Adrian, and Lewis
CrSy/LaWz
Tarnished Coast Server (formerly of Kaineng)

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

That’s just because getting to him in the first place takes you a better part of an hour if not more. First you need to finish the Meta event in which the Charr take back the Font of Rhun, something that is not really soloable (but doable with 2 players). Then you need to go through the temple itself which takes a while too.

It’s hella fun though to do with a few players.

One – Piken Square

Nilkemia.8507

A Champion Risen Lich in Sparkfly Fen.

1, 2, 3: To even get a shot at this thing, you have to escort a Vigil pack bull carrying explosives to the Tower of Modius.

4, 5: Once there, you have to escort an NPC carrying the bomb to the tower, while the others don’t help you and the bomb carrier stops whenever a wave of Risen appear.

6: Despite breaking the tower, the bomb does nothing to the lich, who is not happy that we broke his house. Oh, and there’s a time limit. Why? Just because. Oh, and the “Lich” in his name is a lie. It’s basically a Champion Risen Wraith, except not in Orr and lower leveled, still capable of using Well of Darkness (with can hurt you as well as blind) every several seconds, and that infamous AoE health steal.

7: Once time runs out, he just mocks you, then fixes up the tower and goes back to his champion nap. No counterattack or anything. Maybe he’s on vacation?

Attachments:

Nilkemia.8507

The only champion that goes unfought in Crucible of Eternity. Even though we do technically kill them, they don’t drop a loot box.

Attachments:

Nilkemia.8507

And an Inquest Ornithologist (maybe I spelled that wrong) that only shows up if you destroy all the chicken coops fast enough. Maybe she gets fought more now? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Attachments:

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

the ornithologist is done on a regular basis because after you kill it a vendor shows ups selling experimental rifles

Oceanic [LOD]

Nilkemia.8507

I’m back from the Underworld, with a revengeance!

Not sure if we’re ever supposed to fight this one at all or if he’s just perpetually drunk.

Attachments:

Nilkemia.8507

And, from a distance, the pirate captain Wiley himself. Again, not sure if we ever get to fight him.

Attachments:

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

There is a cave you can fight Wiley in, he isn’t there all the time but once I wandered in and he tried to kill me, so I killed him. One of the tougher champs to solo but still doable.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA