Class Balance [Killshot OP]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I am not the first one to say it, and I am not talking about the thief backstab which is quite tolerable considering it does only 8k dmg for a very squishy build.

But this: 10,706 dmg and 15,247 dmg Killshots within 5-6 seconds from a warrior that has more health than my quite balanced Ele, my Ele which takes 5 seconds to cast a freaking meteor that does 4k dmg to him IF it hits at all.

During the a very short time window that Warrior does about 30k dmg. I fully healed after the first Killshot which brought me to 6k health, but the second shot brought down 80% of my health, and that is only because I have a half-bunker ele with 20k hp, else its an instant one-shot kill against any normal ele.

What are we supposed to think about that sort of balancing?

Attachments:

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

Killshot is only op if you’re fighting outnumbered and thus distracted enough to not see the obviously telegraphed killshot.

Also it’s op when there is server lag.

Otherwise, here is what you can do to avoid it: Dodge. Blind. Aegis.

Posted by: Shirk.6421

Shirk.6421

-Dodge it
-Instantly focus him
-Go into melee

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

my advice … play a warrior like everyone else that is only a portion of their health which is easily healed back.

welcome to Warrior wars 2.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

At least you are not a necro with only 2 dodges and no Vigor.

But in the patch we’ll get a signet that will heal us for 300 after the 15k kill shot.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

But this: 10,706 dmg and 15,247 dmg Killshots within 5-6 seconds from a warrior that has more health than my quite balanced Ele, my Ele which takes 5 seconds to cast a freaking meteor that does 4k dmg to him IF it hits at all.

I agree that kill shot might be a bit over the top, but it’s easier to dodge than a meteor shower. Besides, meteor shower is the heaviest aoe spell in the game that absolutely destroys groups in WvW. I don’t see how you can compare the damage of a big aoe spell to the damage of a target skill. Obviously the single target skill will have to deal more damage. And if your meteor shower deals 4k dmg to 5 people, i.e. 20k dmg multiple times, surely 10-15k from a single target isn’t that much.

The problem lies in the cd. 10 seconds for a skill like that is way too short.

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

Stuff said by some ele in Abys

Dear Abys

Magnetic Aura.

Also, this skill really is f*ing BS.
1: Why is not a ranger skill?
2: What is the counter when someone uses it in a crowded situation?
3: Why does it not take trait investment to hit this hard at 1500 range?

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

How on earth did you manage to get hit by a second? One is understandable, and if you are squishy enough to get one-shotted that’s just a risk of the build you’ve chosen. But getting hit by two seems flat-out impossible, unless you are being double-teamed, in which case you’re doomed anyway.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Learn to dodge.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Xillllix.3485

-Dodge it
-Instantly focus him
-Go into melee

When there is a bunch of red circles on the ground there is no way to know which one is a OP kill shot and not just some necro condition or something, specially if the warrior is 1500 away (makes it hard to focus when he has even more range than you as a staff ele).

Ele can’t go into melee against a warrior and expect to win. But even if your feeling suicidal and wished to take out your daggers and charge you can’t, our class still lacks the weapon switch button.

Dear Abys
Magnetic Aura.

1- Magnetic aura is good but would only have blocked one of the 2 shots.
2- You can’t see it coming anyway.

Posted by: Tibstrike.2974

Tibstrike.2974

I am not the first one to say it, and I am not talking about the thief backstab which is quite tolerable considering it does only 8k dmg for a very squishy build.

During the a very short time window that Warrior does about 30k dmg. I fully healed after the first Killshot which brought me to 6k health, but the second shot brought down 80% of my health, and that is only because I have a half-bunker ele with 20k hp, else its an instant one-shot kill against any normal ele.

You are obviously getting hit by some crappy thieves then. A thief that is equally as dangerous as a kill-shot warrior should be hitting you for at least 12k with just backstab alone. Not to mention a properly strung together Mug-C&D-Backstab.

Stop complaining that a one-trick pony build can insta-kill you. That’s all they can do.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Kill shot has like a 2-3 second channeling that is very easy to see and time your dodge.

Xillllix.3485

You are obviously getting hit by some crappy thieves then. A thief that is equally as dangerous as a kill-shot warrior should be hitting you for at least 12k with just backstab alone. Not to mention a properly strung together Mug-C&D-Backstab.

Stop complaining that a one-trick pony build can insta-kill you. That’s all they can do.

I will not stop complaining, I’ve played this game 1500 hours and I know something’s OP when I see it. Thief do only 8k dmg max on backstab to me because I have good toughness.

How on earth did you manage to get hit by a second? One is understandable, and if you are squishy enough to get one-shotted that’s just a risk of the build you’ve chosen. But getting hit by two seems flat-out impossible.

1- I didn’t get one shotted and I’m one of the least squishy ele you can find out there.
2- I never thought 2 OP burst like this would be possible in a row, specially not from a guy hiding 1500 away.

Kill shot has like a 2-3 second channeling that is very easy to see and time your dodge.

Yeah right… Ice Shard is easy to dodge and doesn’t do half that damage even at max-crit total squishy ele with 10k hp. You can’t make a skill that does 3 times more damage than every other skill crit and then say you just have to dodge.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Tibstrike.2974

How on earth did you manage to get hit by a second? One is understandable, and if you are squishy enough to get one-shotted that’s just a risk of the build you’ve chosen. But getting hit by two seems flat-out impossible.

1- I didn’t get one shotted and I’m one of the least squishy ele you can find out there.
2- I never thought 2 OP burst like this would be possible in a row, specially not from a guy hiding 1500 away.

If he had built up his adrenaline before hand he could get two shots off as soon as his burst was off cooldown. He fires the first killshot, then waits 8ish seconds, uses his heal which reloads his adrenaline to the very top, and then killshot again.

Next time just find him and pressure him before he can fire again. You had a total of 5 seconds during which he was channeling. And if he can get 15k on a kill-shot on you, you are not nearly as tanky as you think.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Guys, guys,
Why are you turning to Killshot, when thief backstab is so much more OP?

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: bobomb.5209

bobomb.5209

I will not stop complaining, I’ve played this game 1500 hours and I know something’s OP when I see it. Thief do only 8k dmg max on backstab to me because I have good toughness.

sorry but this isn’t OP. It is very massive damage but the rifle in general is a terrible weapon besides PvE. If you browse the warrior forums for a bit you will see multiple threads asking for a complete rework of the rifle in general. The rifle has the highest hitting burst that a warrior has access to (no, one hundred blades does not count for that is a skill that hits multiple times). If you look at the forums again you will notice that there are threads that talk about how the only viable use for rifle is going full berserk and sniping people from a distance with kill shot. This skill is balanced as it is really only useful against unaware opponents, if you are hit when you see the warrior kneel down to prepare kill shot, it is entirely your fault. You were hit by a troll build who’s only function is to pick people off with kill shot. You have my condolences.

Xillllix.3485

Next time just find him and pressure him before he can fire again. You had a total of 5 seconds during which he was channeling. And if he can get 15k on a kill-shot on you, you are not nearly as tanky as you think.

I’m talking about balance. The most tanky ele would perhaps have been hit for 12-13k yet would barely be able to scratch that warrior.

Tibstrike.2974

I’m talking about balance. The most tanky ele would perhaps have been hit for 12-13k yet would barely be able to scratch that warrior.

Hahahaa….my full support guard would probably pressure this warrior fairly well. The build I run now? It would shred him to pieces. If your ele is balanced as you say you should be able to wipe him with a full rotation.

Xillllix.3485

You were hit by a troll build who’s only function is to pick people off with kill shot. You have my condolences.

It is the first time I was faced with that sort of damage in all my hours of playing, I’ll admit that, to be a troll build it was.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

@Learn2Dodge~ Not in a wvw zerg o.O that **** comes outa nowhere.

Guys, guys,

Killshot is a 1200 range backstab from any direction that does double the dmg or more of Thief’s. :s The Axe burst skill also does similar damage and is much faster+gapcloser. It’s like an atomic Heartseeker. I’ve been hit with both of those for more than 15k. Especially if you’re unfortunate enough to run into a warrior like that after using Lyssa runes.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Normal thing. They test it with focus group, they stay against each other and spam skills. One day arena.net will realise, there are many good players and they will abuse any bonus as much as they can.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

How on earth did you manage to get hit by a second? One is understandable, and if you are squishy enough to get one-shotted that’s just a risk of the build you’ve chosen. But getting hit by two seems flat-out impossible, unless you are being double-teamed, in which case you’re doomed anyway.

It can be really hard to notice individual skills in the heat of battle. If you read the log, you would’ve noticed that he was fighting more than one person.

IMO, dodge or die skills are dumb as they are:
A. Easily nullified when paying attention
B. Very op when not paying attention

Killshot will never ever land on a good player, or at least very rarely so. However, as in this such situation here, when a fight is happening between multiple people, focusing on a single skill isn’t so easy. And as such, this player has every right to be infuriated when one skill on a 10 second or less cooldown can deal so much damage.

Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Something you need to realize with this game is how they created the skills. They went kind of casual heavy. What I mean is that they have a lot of AoEs, Condition/Burst spam, and passives. Killshot is one of the few skills that I think is made pretty well. Reason being is that it has a very obvious animation call and you can’t spam it. Unlike the thief backstab that can be cast a lot quicker, you can’t see, and does the same amount of damage.

I keep saying this, but if they reduce screen clutter from combat animations and reduce AoEs, skills like this wont be nearly as complained about.

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Something you need to realize with this game is how they created the skills. They went kind of casual heavy. What I mean is that they have a lot of AoEs, Condition/Burst spam, and passives. Killshot is one of the few skills that I think is made pretty well. Reason being is that it has a very obvious animation call and you can’t spam it. Unlike the thief backstab that can be cast a lot quicker, you can’t see, and does the same amount of damage.

I keep saying this, but if they reduce screen clutter from combat animations and reduce AoEs, skills like this wont be nearly as complained about.

Reducing general screen clutter will not increase the general skill level of the population. Bad players will be bad no matter what they do. The only difference between a kill shot warrior and a backstab thief is the warrior doesn’t have stealth to cover his butt.

Also, to everyone stating it wrong. Kill Shot is not 1200 range, it is 1500 range.

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

Noothing much you can do if you are distracted and fighting other people

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

Posted by: Easlay.3297

Easlay.3297

feel ya….right few min ago i was in WvsW with my thief (not glass-cannon, a bit balanced) and busy fighting 3 ppl when got smashed on the ground in 1 hit.
Checked on combat log and found a 17,6k kill shot.
Oki that i have only 2600 toughness and 16.9k hp, but rly…..now warriors are even better than thieves at snipe/assassinate :/
at least a glasscannon backstab thief, if u have faced before, u manage to dodge the backstab after mug+CnD even if u didn’t see the thief incoming, but this killshot, meh…

[OSC] Easlay Koorst – Thief
Sfr

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

How is learn to dodge an excuse for a skill being so blatantly OP?

What if kill shot did 50000000000k dmg and a 6 second stun and applied every condition in the game every 10 seconds? I mean you can do one dodge every 7 seconds or so… so does that mean it still wouldn’t be op since you can dodge it?

That is quite possibly the worst excuse for claiming “balance” I have ever heard… dodging has no bearing at all on if a skill is op or not. You can dodge every attack in the game.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

They can hit so hard yes. but then they are so squishy you could do the same with burning speed+firegrab.
This is kinda the point of the skill. Else it would had been useless.
Its like complaining about sniper do more damage than a pistol in a fps game.
Most warriors don’t use it anyway because it miss so much their better off just autoattacking a couple times. Kill shot is a burst skill go figure.

Xillllix.3485

They can hit so hard yes. but then they are so squishy you could do the same with burning speed+firegrab.
This is kinda the point of the skill. Else it would had been useless.
Its like complaining about sniper do more damage than a pistol in a fps game.
Most warriors don’t use it anyway because it miss so much their better off just autoattacking a couple times. Kill shot is a burst skill go figure.

Balancing classes cannot work like this. You cannot have a class going around that has a 2 sec to cast skill doing 7-8k more damage than a total glass canon backstab or firegrab (both require skill to land, burning and stealth+side hit and are from class with twice less health!).

They need to change the damage curve of the game toward a cap so that when going full 100% berserker burst canon a skill like Killshot you cannot damage more than 10-12k on a burst (which is more than enough).

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Posted by: Blackjack.2083

Blackjack.2083

Rifle on warrior is actually a pretty subpar weapon in WvW to be honest. Killshot can be a fun troll build but it is one of the slowest most telegraphed attacks in the game. If you were hit twice by it from the same player then you might want to become a bit familiar with what the animation looks like.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Learn to dodge.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

to those whose telling to Op to dodge next time, i have questions to ask you.

How many eyes does the Op have to see EVERYTHING that is happening at the SAME time during combat?

You are blaming the OP for not ‘dodging the bullet’, after being killed by a sniper who he/she can not see or target.

Seriously,

to those many loyal and brave souls (your forefathers), who died in real life warfare by snipers, would you blame them as well for not ‘dodging the bullet’?

would you??

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

1. Backstab can crit for just as much. Shorter cooldown, easier to land. instant use, no cast time.
2. If you are taking 10 and 15k killshots you are squishy and most likely have vuln stacks on you.
3. Killshot cannot be used every 5 OR 6 seconds. It’s shortest cooldown is almost 8 seconds.
4. Killshot has a long cast-time, an obvious animation, and the projectile has to travel distance. If the warrior misses he must wait 5 seconds try to use it again.
5. Killshot is extremely buggy, resulting in many short range OUT OF RANGE bugs.
6. A dodge roll, a reflect, a blind, a block, an invulnerable. You have all of these as an ele, if you chose not to bring any that’s your fault.

If you get killshotted by a warrior in small combat, you deserved it. If you get hit in a zerg fight, understandable.

Instead of crying OP everytime someone whoops your butt, try playing the thing you are attempting to talk about.

Let me guess, you’re running a ele support staff build and you want to duel a rifle warrior. Common sense just flew out the window.

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

WhiteAndMilky.2514

to those many loyal and brave souls (your forefathers), who died in real life warfare by snipers, would you blame them as well for not ‘dodging the bullet’?

would you??

Gee…… good thing this is a video game and not real life!…………………….

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Guys, guys,

Backstab has 1200 range and the ability to hit an infinite amount of targets?

Posted by: Barfoi.9537

Barfoi.9537

If I get hit by Killshot (as PP thief), it’ll usually 1-shot me from full health. It happens very rarely, but when it does, I can only blame myself. For the costs & risks of using it, I think it’s fairly well balanced.

Zero Day.2594

Guys, guys,

It’s funny you guys are saying that, while other’s are/were complaining how a thief can backstab for ~15k….

Join the TEEFs!

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Stuff said by some ele in Abys

Dear Abys

Magnetic Aura.

Also, this skill really is f*ing BS.
1: Why is not a ranger skill?
2: What is the counter when someone uses it in a crowded situation?
3: Why does it not take trait investment to hit this hard at 1500 range?

1. Because Anet doesn’t like ranger
2. It’s still quite obvious. The warrior will be kneeling and NOT MOVING. Also going out of range is an easy counter. In skill lag a rifle warrior has a very hard time as they sit on the ground forever, and everyone has moved out of range by then or focused and kill them.
3. It DOES take trait investment to hit that hard, 30 points into the discipline tree, and 2-3 skills on your utility bar, including elite (no warbanner for friends) It also takes the person receiving it to be squishy. A standard killshot is from 6-8k with about 6 stacks of might. If you’re taking more than that, you had lots of vuln on you or you’re WAY too squishy and deserved it.

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Guys, guys,

Killshot is 1500 range (although it frequently gets an OUT OF RANGE bug) and it doesn’t arc like a ranger longbow shot, so it hits ONLY 1500, and no more. Killshot can’t hit an infinite amount of targets, it’s capped out on how many it can pierce (which you must trait for 20 points minimum). Also piercing that many people is not only unlikely, but someone in there has aegis, invuln, dodge, reflect, block, etc. Once it hits one of those, it stops the shot completely. Even a signet of might killshot when it hits invuln or dodge… just disappears.

What backstab does have is 0 cast time, cooldown limited only by revealed, and can be spammed until you land it. Oh yeah, and you’re INVISIBLE while you do it.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

I find funny people saying to learn to dodge when warriors are using it in Zerg vs Zerg.

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

Wanna see high numbers and have fun?? Roll a warrior! end of story.-

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Broken skill is broken.

And LOL at learn to dodge.

Do you WvW?

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Broken skill is broken.

Do you WvW?

Do you?

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

You could give warriors (or any class) an ability that hits for 50k on a 10 second cooldown and people would still say “learn to dodge” on the forums in defense of it. No wonder this game is known for such a helpful community

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

WhiteAndMilky.2514

You could give warriors (or any class) an ability that hits for 50k on a 10 second cooldown and people would still say “learn to dodge” on the forums in defense of it. No wonder this game is known for such a helpful community

Try reading through the thread before posting. There have been many helpful posts telling you how to counter it.

The “Well what about in a zerg fight?” argument is… just not an argument. There are plenty of other skills you won’t see hit you either. Like an illusionary berserker, an earthshaker, etc. What is the point here? “If I can’t see it, it shouldn’t be able to hit me”? Then don’t play in large fights. Because there’s going to be a LOT of things hitting you that you won’t see. Also rifle players are of the more rare breed of warriors, as it takes keen positioning and timing to maximize effectiveness. So getting hit by a killshot should not be a very common thing for you. If it IS a common thing for you, someone is focusing you because they know you are an easy squishy kill.

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Broken skill is broken.

Do you WvW?

Do you?

I think your V key might be broken, not the skill. Or perhaps its one of your many other keys which also counters killshot. What class and build are you running? I think I can help you.

Aridia.3042

Broken skill is broken.

Do you WvW?

Do you?

I do. And if you actually do, please get off the ivory tower on SM3 and maybe play the game sometime.

LOL learn to dodge.

I’ll be sure to turn around when I engage a thief next time so he could backstab me just so I won’t get blind sided by a killshot.

Keep those protips coming.

Zero Day.2594

Broken skill is broken.

Do you WvW?

Do you?

I think your V key might be broken, not the skill. Or perhaps its one of your many other keys which also counters killshot. What class and build are you running? I think I can help you.

Oh I was just commenting on both your and Aridia’s replies.

Join the TEEFs!

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Broken skill is broken.

Do you WvW?

Do you?

I do. And if you actually do, please get off the ivory tower on SM3 and maybe play the game sometime.

LOL learn to dodge.

I’ll be sure to turn around when I engage a thief next time so he could backstab me just so I won’t get blind sided by a killshot.

Keep those protips coming.

Here’s what I just read:

“I engaged a backstab thief and a killshot warrior at the same time, then I died. Warrior rifle must be OP!”

I have 4227 hours of playtime and I don’t afk. I also don’t PvE. I play rifle warrior regularly. I play against rifle warriors regularly as well, with many different professions and builds. I could teach you a thing or 2 if you are willing to listen.

Aridia.3042

*snipped junk

What is the point here?

You sure talk a lot someone who doesn’t even get what the point is.

Let me spell it out for you. You should never be able to 1 shot someone with full HP with any skill. Because there’s zero counter play.

And no, don’t bother to bring up backstab. That’s broken too. Two wrongs don’t make a right.