Colin Johanson Video: GW2 2013 Preview

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

here’s another link to the video!

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

That was quite an impressive blog post. I really hope you can see it through, and it’s not just a wish list..

You forgot to mention one vital thing, though: improving your communication with us, the players!

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Warder.3491

Warder.3491

I’m not exactly sure what is in those gear chests, but I am HOPING that it’s armor or even just skins for class specific armor. It may just be backpieces and jewelery though.

Long story short, too soon to tell.

Yeah. I just wish he would have at least touched on the subject, since it’s such a big deal that we still know absolutely nothing about.

Well he did say that they wanted people be able to get the most powerful gear playing the game they want to, including getting ascended gear. I feel it is safe to assume that people who just like doing the open world PvE will be able to get the most powerful equipment in the game, and I bet dollar to donuts that is what is in those chests.

Power I’m not really worried about, personally. Power you can get right now, even if it takes time. I’m more worried about everyone looking alike, and nothing from ArenaNet about it.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Did you see the pic of some of the rewards to trade in to? 100 Tokens for a endless Cat tonic, haha. Must get!

I don’t even know what a Chauncey von Snuffles III is, but I want one.

Somebody let Queen Jennah design the achievement rewards, I see!

Warder.3491

That was quite an impressive blog post. I really hope you can see it through, and it’s not just a wish list..

You forgot to mention one vital thing, though: improving your communication with us, the players!

Agreed! Since release, ArenaNet’s communication has been pretty poor. I wish they’d ditch the overly “professional” attitude and just speak candidly with us about their plans, like they used to do.

Posted by: Gombar.7324

Gombar.7324

Nahhh, he forgot to mention more than a few things; Guesting, bug fixes, prof. balance, skill functionality, loot and DR’s, crafting relevance vs. attained gear…..

Oh, and the introduction of one or more PTR’s!

But, you got same old, same old….

Posted by: Meia.6907

Meia.6907

I do not really like to say that but I agree that this blog post did not give us any new info. It just put all the information in one place, which is great as well but still no new info =x

For instance here is what is said on the post

To encourage players to stick with a single server for WvW and fight for the pride of that server, server changes will incur a fee and have time limitations.

Ok so when is the last day for us to change server? Will the guesting work with any region of the world? (guest in EU someone in NA and the opposite)

Other than wanting more precise communication from the team, I love the game, keep up the good work (and please do not make us be stuck on our server without warning^^)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

nice post and I would like a Chauncy von Snuffels III please, I don’t care what it is
and endless cat tonic would also be fine and I am sure I can find a use for those dyes…

What really intrigues me is what looks like profession specific gear- yay!.

Great post !

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: domxnik.1453

domxnik.1453

Guys, these are not patch notes, every single thing they plan to fix is not going to be listed until those updates start rolling out.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Posted by: Zeanix.8624

Zeanix.8624

Thank you so much Arenanet for a great game, this looks so awesome. Can’t wait to see in action

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Nothing on “Personal Story” I see (for me the personal story was the greatest draw and also the greatest disappointment in GW2) but I’m not surprised at that, there is no way they can deliver on the pre-release hype at this stage (“when you save a village it stays saved”, yeah, sure). I suspect that “Personal Story” is done now as there are definitely areas they can get greater returns for less effort and as development in the game seems to be moving at a slow pace I can’t see them putting the effort into it.

I’m particularly looking forward to see more about WvW, how they’re going to add “new motivation to the WvW domain” and especially if they can somehow remove the “Zerg vs Zerg” from WvW.

Posted by: Wift.9862

Wift.9862

I really hope that they’re adding rewards to make us do DIFFERENT dynamic events in this game. It would be so lame if the new rewards system just had people farming the same events over and over rather than exploring the world and doing different stuff.

domxnik.1453

I’m excited about this, to be honest. Knowing they are working on and have a different reward system is nice. I wish they released more detail about what kind of armor that is, though, and what the rest of the list shows.

More things were mentioned that I was hoping to see:

• “Expanded and re-designed encounters for bosses in dungeons and the open world.”
  • “Continuing to improve the security of the game fighting botters and hackers, as well as improving the games stability by addressing bugs as quickly as possible when they are reported.”
  • “The improvements and fixes to the fractal dungeons.”

“Leaderboards on our website where you can compare your abilities with other players to find out who is the best in the world.” Anyone know what this is going to be? I imagine it would be fore pvp only, but that was never said.

Anyway, looking good ANet. Hope to hear more soon!
Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Arenanets hubris will be this games downfall.

Im sorry but that blogpost was HORRIBLE, there was hardly any new information at all. The entire blogpost was filled with…

“open world is important so we would like to do something to improve it”
“wvw is cool so we will hopefully do something to make it more cool”
“dynamic events are what make this game special so we would like to do something something bla bla”

Any new information that was released in that blogpost could have been summarised in one sentence, but instead they make us sit through multiple paragraphs of self praise.

Did anyone else notice that not once did they talk about the HUGE amounts of flaws with this game? No not once, the entire blogpost was about “we are awesome and we hope to do some stuff in this area but we wont give any details”.

This blogpost is something i expected from Blizzard, lots of showing off no real action, i would have had far more respect if they had came out saying "look we made some huge mistakes in 2012 here are the specific things we did wrong (in DETAIL) and this is how were going to fix them (in DETAIL). But no we just got the same thing we have been getting for months now, more hubris.

Maybe you should try reading it again?…

1. Paid Server transfers (new info)
2. Guesting almost here (not new but update)
3. WvWvW Bonus Abilities (new)
4. WvWvW new rewards/prestige (Vague but new)
5. Improved LFG tool (not new but confirmation)
6. Variable Dailies (new)
7. Achievement points as currency for new rewards, with specific rewards listed (new)
8. Profession specific armor (new)
9. Guild missions (new)
10. Culling improvement (vague confirmation)
11. PvP improvements (vague but new info)

That is just what I saw from reading it once and then closing it. I’m sure if I read back through it I could find some more details in there as well.

I also find it odd that you mention all these HUGE flaws, but just like you are accusing Anet of… you ALSO don’t mention what these flaws are??? The only major problems I know of in the game right now are the culling and LFG issues, both of which were specifically mentioned.

domxnik.1453

I really hope that they’re adding rewards to make us do DIFFERENT dynamic events in this game. It would be so lame if the new rewards system just had people farming the same events over and over rather than exploring the world and doing different stuff.

From what he was saying in the video, it sounds like they are trying to get players to go back to different zones and not stay at those “endgame” zones or wait for dragon events to spawn.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Gombar.7324

Guys, these are not patch notes, every single thing they plan to fix is not going to be listed until those updates start rolling out.

No, but still you would have expected them to adress the most prominent problems facing them and the players, in game to current date. If you do not have a solid foundation to build from, the risk of an unsound structure rises exponential.

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

No, but still you would have expected them to adress the most prominent problems facing them and the players, in game to current date. If you do not have a solid foundation to build from, the risk of an unsound structure rises exponential.

Open world events not being rewarded enough? He addressed that.

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

Agreed! Since release, ArenaNet’s communication has been pretty poor. I wish they’d ditch the overly “professional” attitude and just speak candidly with us about their plans, like they used to do.

It’s actually kinda hard to do this without misleading people and no-one wants to be the person who mentioned a personal project that was picked up and blown out of proportion, particularly if that project was then set aside/canned to focus on something else. Besides that, development can be a pretty iterative process with what can be an adjustable endpoint, and we’re never likely to be privy to the results of the boardroom meetings that decide what’s done and what’s not.

In many ways, I’m not convinced that any industry has to deal with customer involvement on such an immediate level and on such a large scale as the gaming industry today. Heck, the level of communication we have with ANet staff now is really rather remarkable considering how things were ten or fifteen years ago. They share jokes with us and stuff!

Behold: Opinions!

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

WvW specific abilities sounds like it could be one way to fix class discrepancies with respect to stealth, portal and siege projectile blocking. But it could also mean that you can do flashy fireworks or doodle on the minimap…

I guess time will tell whether this bodes any well.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

5 tokens for obsidian shard? I can get into that. I’d rather go back and do things in other zones than have to do either fractals or event farm Orr to get shards. Looking forward to these features.

Hopefully we can also buy lodestones with tokens….I know wishful thinking.

Also, Chauncey von shuffle III – yes please.

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

Paid Transfers is not such a good idea. Why not just not allow people who transfer servers to play in WvW for one week. This would stop people from transferring for WvW purposes.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

This was, as promised, a general outlook on what is to come. More specifics will follow in for each of the updates themselves.

Sounds very promising, looking forward to it.

P.S. The link to Isaiah’s blog is missing.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Gombar.7324

I’m not talking just DE’s here, but too of loot, DR’s………he made no comment or remark about that at all. Wouldn’t you say that is a current and imminent problem that needs to be fixed, more so adressed?

domxnik.1453

So these tokens for new rewards; I’m confused. In the blog post they went from events to daily achievements, which is it? Will these be awarded from doing daily achievements, events, or both?

“To make playing in our open world worthwhile, we’ll make it rewarding enough for players to spend their time there across all levels.”
That makes me think it’s from events.

“One of our focuses is expanding and leveraging our achievement system. The concept behind this is to allow players to earn new rewards for achievements,”
That makes me think it’s from daily achievements.

Maybe I’m missing something or just being kitten

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

Gombar.7324

Paid Transfers is not such a good idea. Why not just not allow people who transfer servers to play in WvW for one week. This would stop people from transferring for WvW purposes.

It means money for the company and share holders….that’s why.

NetherDiver.6079

I’m not talking just DE’s here, but too of loot, DR’s………he made no comment or remark about that at all. Wouldn’t you say that is a current and imminent problem that needs to be fixed, more so adressed?

Not disagreeing with you there, but DR and DE’s fall under his talk of making different activities in the game more rewarding I am cautious though because of the achievement token system, i feel like they’re just going leave the DR’s alone as it is, but I’m speculating.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Sending us back to low level zones which are complete faceroll in level 80 exotics is not my idea of fun, it will be easy tokens, boring.
The proff/class specific boxes will prob be more rng where you end up with 5 helms instead of what you actually need, and the wvw only abilitys just reminds me of SWTOR, where some skills worked for pve but not pvp, which I hated as an idea.
And a tonic as the best reward? you’re having a laugh right?

(edited by Vavume.8065)

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Still no mention of removing or adjusting their incredibly oversensitive DR (which hurts legitimate players more than botters)…

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

I guess the amount of player complaining about any blog entry is somewhat stable. There are those who would have liked more detail – in many cases so that they could complain at a later date that the developers had lied when they clearly promised this and that – and then there are those who do not like what the blog is about because they would have liked information about something else entirely. So far, so predictable.

But looking at what the blog is about and what it did tell makes me fairly optimistic. Specifically the option to get certain things – apparently including even such illustrious stuff as Ascended gear and obsidian shards – via achievements intrigues me and I hope that these tokens are given out retroactively. It would be a shame to see tokens awarded for completing achievements that I have already got and missing out on those tokens because of that.

Posted by: CC Charles.3675

CC Charles.3675

Community Coordinator

Next

Hello,

Thank you for creating this thread. We made it a sticky, so that everyone can have a clear overview of it.

Please, remember to stay constructive and to respect the rules described in our code of conduct if you want to express your opinion

Thanks a lot for your contributions, we really appreciate them!

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

5 tokens for obsidian shard? I can get into that. I’d rather go back and do things in other zones than have to do either fractals or event farm Orr to get shards. Looking forward to these features.

Hopefully we can also buy lodestones with tokens….I know wishful thinking.

Also, Chauncey von shuffle III – yes please.

Yes, shards without fractals, yes! Also very curious to see what Chauncey Von Shuffle III is, I suspect a mini.

Ooh, idea – what if the rewards are different for each zone? So we’d be looking at the Queensdale zone reward page there, so it’s got a Jenna-related reward. And Caledon Forest has a slightly different set (fern hound mini?), and Kessex Hills has something else (krait mini?). That would be really fun.

Since the tokens are tied to achievements they can’t really be tied to zones, so that’s very nice too. I mean, Queensdale is nice, but I don’t want to have to grind it for tokens. Or any zone, really.

Posted by: Sleepcoma.9487

Sleepcoma.9487

“Our reward systems need to be exciting, and include things you want to earn over time, but we don’t want to force our players on endless gear treadmills for new tiers of gear we add every 6 months. You won’t see another tier between ascended and legendary in 2013 for example. "

Why Colin, WHY?! You could have shut the door on this topic, but instead left plenty of wiggle room that is going to fuel countless forum debates.

Is 2013 the year of the Ascended Rollout, followed by a press release that you are excited to announce the addition of Transcended Gear for 2014? Post-release developer comments have led me to believe this is the case, along with planned level cap increases.

Warder.3491

Hello,

Thank you for creating this thread. We made it a sticky, so that everyone can have a clear overview of it.

Please, remember to stay constructive and to respect the rules described in our code of conduct if you want to express your opinion

Thanks a lot for your contributions, we really appreciate them!

As I appreciate the blog post!

I’m hoping that it won’t end there, though. Will you guys expand on your answers and perhaps address things that weren’t brought up in the blog post? Perhaps in an attempt to improve communication with your players.

Gombar.7324

Not disagreeing with you there, but DR and DE’s fall under his talk of making different activities in the game more rewarding I am cautious though because of the achievement token system, i feel like they’re just going leave the DR’s alone as it is, but I’m speculating.

Problem is that this is tied in to the gem shop. In that if you keep the DR on needed drops low (as it is now), you’ll then need to go on the TP to get the said mats that you’ll need for crafting. But lacking enough funds for them (a sit’s hard to make money ingame in the first place), you’ll have to turn to the gems for real money option, to buy the needed mats out.

All in all, you keep a hungry and starved market which is in constant demand, with only one way as a means to get what you need…..

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

So these tokens for new rewards; I’m confused. In the blog post they went from events to daily achievements, which is it? Will these be awarded from doing daily achievements, events, or both?

“To make playing in our open world worthwhile, we’ll make it rewarding enough for players to spend their time there across all levels.”
That makes me think it’s from events.

“One of our focuses is expanding and leveraging our achievement system. The concept behind this is to allow players to earn new rewards for achievements,”
That makes me think it’s from daily achievements.

Maybe I’m missing something or just being kitten

“The concept behind this is to allow players to earn new rewards for achievements, as well as progressing down achievement paths that take advantage of the open world experience.”

So it sounds like more than daily achievements. That sounds like JP achievements, probably explore achievenments, etc.

Posted by: CrimmsonWind.1475

CrimmsonWind.1475

Will the guesting work with any region of the world? (guest in EU someone in NA and the opposite)

This is what I need to know. I’ve been dying for Guesting since they first mentioned it and I thought it was a great idea. It was a perfect solution for my friend and I, but I’m getting nervous that we won’t be able to play together via guesting because I’m on an NA server and she’s on an EU server.

I don’t want to have to transfer over to her EU world, because I have other friends on mine, but she can’t transfer to my NA world because she lags like hell (not ANet’s fault, she has pretty terrible internet connection).

I’m psyched for the rewards though, if it means I can have some control over what I actually earn (as opposed to getting gear I can’t even use XD).

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

“Our reward systems need to be exciting, and include things you want to earn over time, but we don’t want to force our players on endless gear treadmills for new tiers of gear we add every 6 months. You won’t see another tier between ascended and legendary in 2013 for example. "

Why Colin, WHY?! You could have shut the door on this topic, but instead left plenty of wiggle room that is going to fuel countless forum debates.

Is 2013 the year of the Ascended Rollout, followed by a press release that you are excited to announce the addition of Transcended Gear for 2014? Post-release developer comments have led me to believe this is the case, along with planned level cap increases.

I understand where they are coming from.

They’ve been held to things they said in 2008 regarding GW2. If I were them, I would always leave room for changes so that they don’t receive the plethora of topics calling them liars.

Also, they stated even during development that there would be level cap increases with expansions.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Flax.4980

Flax.4980

I would very much like to know more about how these achievement tokens will work.

If they gave us tokens for achievements we’d already done then lots of people will instantly be able to get the best rewards, which would take away the feeling of progression.

On the other hand if they don’t do it retroactively then people who have played more will be at a disadvantage.

This leads me to think that we will only be able to get tokens from dailies/monthlies and new achievements added in the update. The only problem I see with this is that all the old achievements will seem more pointless. Hopefully we’ll get some credit for past achievements but the meat of tokens will be best acquired by doing the new ones they add.

(edited by Flax.4980)

Gombar.7324

I understand where they are coming from.

They’ve been held to things they said in 2008 regarding GW2. If I were them, I would always leave room for changes so that they don’t receive the plethora of topics calling them liars.

Also, they stated even during development that there would be level cap increases with expansions.

They have been held to nothing else than what they, themselves, have said and stated over and over, time and time again. They were in NO big hurry before launch to rectify, correct or elaborate on what they had put out as game PR. So…it stands to reason that they were held up by the players against what they had said and promised, as they didn’t do much to change that outcome by and on their own….not till later at the AMA that is.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

I wish they could implement dungeons exclusively for guilds that can accommodate 20 players (or more) (so these dungeons operate like an open world). This could be game breakingly awesome. It will put value to joining guilds and having guilds to enjoy guild activity.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Well with the first text he states that they don’t want players to work against each other and only help each other. From this I take that instance based GvG as in GW1 will not be a feature in GW2. Only guild dungeons. Hope guild level pvp will be a feature, but I won’t hold my breath.

I also don’t see anything about guild housing and some kind of guild activity to obtain it. Think that if this would come any time soon it would be mentioned specifically.

Posted by: Acid.9410

Acid.9410

What about people already completed 100% world map?

Will receive that tokens for free or i need create new character to get that? =P

i starter a new character few days ago, maybe should wait.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This isn’t some new evil plot to make more money. This was the way it was in Beta and as it was always planned to be. They have been very kind and allowed free transfers for significantly longer then they originally planned. From what I remember the original plan was to stop free transfers 1 month after launch.

If it works like it did in beta, which I suspect it will, it will be cheap (~100 gems) to transfer to a low ranked world. It will be so-so (~400 gems) to transfer to a medium ranked and it will be very expensive (~1000 gems) to transfer to a high ranked world.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I wish they could implement dungeons exclusively for guilds that can accommodate 20 players (or more) (so these dungeons operate like an open world). This could be game breakingly awesome. It will put value to joining guilds and having guilds to enjoy guild activity.

I’m hoping that Missions include those.

NetherDiver.6079

Problem is that this is tied in to the gem shop. In that if you keep the DR on needed drops low (as it is now), you’ll then need to go on the TP to get the said mats that you’ll need for crafting. But lacking enough funds for them (a sit’s hard to make money ingame in the first place), you’ll have to turn to the gems for real money option, to buy the needed mats out.

All in all, you keep a hungry and starved market which is in constant demand, with only one way as a means to get what you need…..

It is a kitten to make money in the open world unless you’re farming Orr DE’s, but I’d had no problems making money to buy mats because I run a lot of dungeons. T6 fine mats are still a little rare to get, but doing a quick AC run will net you about half a gold (25 ish silver for the end reward, 5s a piece for the graveling silvers, then the loot drops). Doing dungeons is a good money maker, and with this new post I’m really hoping that they make open world events get you decent money as well.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I’m glad to hear they’re adding more events as I really enjoy those. However.. honestly, the game zones already have a ton of events.. the problem is most of them break down and cease functioning after running for a day or so. Unfortunately, then we don’t see them again until the server is reset. And the end result is that the zones appear to have almost no active events.

Without fixing that core problem (which has plagued this game since launch), what is the point of adding more events that will be doomed to the same fate? I really hope they commit to fixing that bug before adding any more event content to the game.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

8. Profession specific armor (new)

Profession specific or this is a box that fits your specific class, like warrior and guardian box will both contain heavy but the guardian box will contain only weapons a guardian can wear like a scepter. Probably it is profession specific, but it doesn’t state anywhere clearly I think.

That is just what I saw from reading it once and then closing it. I’m sure if I read back through it I could find some more details in there as well.

They are strongly against server level competition, which means that some kinds of direct competition is out.

NetherDiver.6079

I’m glad to hear they’re adding more events as I really enjoy those. However.. honestly, the game zones already have a ton of events.. the problem is most of them break down and cease functioning after running for a day or so. Unfortunately, then we don’t see them again until the server is reset. And the end result is that the zones appear to have almost no active events.

Without fixing that core problem (which has plagued this game since launch), what is the point of adding more events that will be doomed to the same fate? I really hope they commit to fixing that bug before adding any more event content to the game.

I think it’s assumed that they’re going to work no those bug fixes, they have been all ready. But when they say they’ll add more events, I don’t think they mean adding them along side the current ones, but rotating out old ones in favor of new ones. So you won’t notice more events in terms of frequency, rather you’ll see more variety. That’s my speculation anyway.

Gombar.7324

This isn’t some new evil plot to make more money. This was the way it was in Beta and as it was always planned to be. They have been very kind and allowed free transfers for significantly longer then they originally planned. From what I remember the original plan was to stop free transfers 1 month after launch.

If it works like it did in beta, which I suspect it will, it will be cheap (~100 gems) to transfer to a low ranked world. It will be so-so (~400 gems) to transfer to a medium ranked and it will be very expensive (~1000 gems) to transfer to a high ranked world.

And you get those gems how? Too, I don’t see it as a new evil plot at all, just them trying to earn some money on the game. I do hower wish that they would be more honest and upfront about this fact than what is currently the truth of the matter…..

Too, this could become a problem in the way of a “Pay2Win” situation, in that if you got the cash/gems, you can always transfer to the winning servers, while those that do not are left behind…not a very good way of balancing, but good income for the company and its share holders, right?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I was also expecting something about that, but we got nothing.
Isn’t they way they phrased it the same way they did before (with the LS update)? That champions and veterans were supposed to have their loots changed. So I’m not really expecting anything for that part of the changes they’re gonna do. The other stuff, especially the achievement stuff, I do hope is good (and doesn’t take too much longer to be implemented, IOW, in the Jan/Feb/March update and not beyond that).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)