Combo Killer

Combo Killer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ben Hurt.6195

Ben Hurt.6195

Let me list the issues I have with this particular achievement (this is from the perspective of a SB/GS ranger, but most of the issues apply to other classes):

For my two chosen weapons, I have no weapon skills that create combo fields. The only slot skill I normally use with a combo field is my heal skill. The idea of having to waste my heal and put it on CD at the end of a fight is completely contrary to smart play.

There are only a handful of slot skills (eg: fire trap, frost trap) that I can select from to create combo fields, and I hate the idea of having to re-slot skills to a lesser configuration simply to get an achievement.

My default GS attack is not a finisher, and my default SB attack only has a 20% chance of being a finisher. Thus, I need to disable my default attacks and make sure to not use one of the available finishers until the killing blow. Again, forcing me to play poorly.

My pet attacks are not finishers. So I need to retrieve my pet. Forcing me to play poorly.

The game has great mechanics that support team play. We generally welcome others helping us kill a mob we are engaged with. There is no kill stealing. But this achievement introduces a new concept: “combo stealing”.

In short, achievement goals should be designed to promote good play, teamwork, and most importantly, should be fun. This particular goal fails on every level.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

Also, it doesn’t work with your own fields. Which I believe is as intended.

Which if intended is awful design. I don’t want to have to find groups to try and get my daily done. The old way was was much better.

Well that is why you only have to do 5/6 of the achievements, if you wish not to do that one, by all means, no one is forcing you to.

I didn’t get any options. I logged in and it had what I needed to do picked for me. No way to change it, no options. Am I missing something?

Combo Killer

Posted by: Kirani.2690

Kirani.2690

I am primarily a solo player. I absolutely hate this combo bs added to the dailes. Does ANET even know the meaning of the word fun.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

GUARDIAN CANNOT DO THIS ACHIEVEMENT BECAUSE HE HAS ONLY 2 COMBO FINISHERS WICH MAKE AURAS, NOT DAMAGE! THANK YOU ANET, AGAIN.

What about the fire bubble?

Oh I guess that’s an aura. NM.

And the hammer is probably an aura too. What a pickle we’re in.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

GUARDIAN CANNOT DO THIS ACHIEVEMENT BECAUSE HE HAS ONLY 2 COMBO FINISHERS WICH MAKE AURAS, NOT DAMAGE! THANK YOU ANET, AGAIN.

Greatsword #2 skill begs to differ. Scored a few combos with a friend using this in a fire field.

Combo Killer

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Which if intended is awful design. I don’t want to have to find groups to try and get my daily done. The old way was was much better.

Well that is why you only have to do 5/6 of the achievements, if you wish not to do that one, by all means, no one is forcing you to.

I didn’t get any options. I logged in and it had what I needed to do picked for me. No way to change it, no options. Am I missing something?

4 of 6 options are coming in a later patch…just be patient people. They said long ago that this patch was just setting up the systems that will be introduced.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

I agree.
Terrible, TERRIBLE design.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Virlyce.4519

Virlyce.4519

So I found an effective way to do this.
Step 1: Get an elementalist friend.
Step 2: Have the elementalist summon a fire axe.
Step 3: You pick up the fire axe.
Step 4: Make sure the elementalist is using a scepter and is attuned to earth. Have him drop the axe now.
Step 5: You use skill #4 with the axe to summon a ring of fire (Make sure the monster is outside the ring)
Step 6: Have the elementalist autoattack the monster to death with earth 1 through the ring of fire to the monster.

That worked out pretty well for me and my group, if you have projectile finishers you don’t have to use the flame axe, just let the ele summon the fire ring and you shoot through it. Sometimes this doesn’t register, but it has a lot higher chance than other combo fields that I have tried.

Yes I agree that the design is flawed and I personally prefer to do my dailies solo, but I’m not defending Anet, I’m just telling you guys of a way that worked for me.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Etherian.3697

Etherian.3697

I agree.
Terrible, TERRIBLE design.

Agreed. This is definitely bad design, and hopefully not what they meant by getting people back out into the world.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

They should change it to “Trigger X Combos”. This can be done alone. The level of co-operation required to get the killing blow is just ridiculous.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Combo Killer

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

I got it without too much problems at first attempt. It requires certain timing but other than that is ok…

Combo Killer

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

I’d just like to chime in and say, combo killer is kitten. I’d like to give whoever thought of, designed, coded, implemented,tested and approved for release a swift kick where the sun doesn’t shine.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

how u can do combo with warrior?

rofl.. this guy’s post and the countless numbers of clueless players are solid proof that this combo achievement was an excellent addition. Hopefully now people will actually perform combos to benefit their team/hinder their enemies.

Combo Killer

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

how u can do combo with warrior?

rofl.. this guy’s post and the countless numbers of clueless players are solid proof that this combo achievement was an excellent addition. Hopefully now people will actually perform combos to benefit their team/hinder their enemies.

The problem isn’t just performing combos. Even if you perform combos it doesn’t add. Even if you KILL with a combo finisher it doesn’t always add. I’ve tried it several times. Yes I did eventually complete it, but I had to do WAY more than 10 combo kills to get there.

Combo Killer

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I got one. I checked immediately after hearing my charr say “I make a great team.” I hope I don’t have to hear that EVERY time. <_<

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Combo Killer

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

I completed my combo killer, it works for me. You can get it done faster in WvW than in PvE open world. More players there to combo with, also if you haven’t notice in the description of some combo finishers and combo field. It triggers like 20% of the time, not 100%.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

The team is aware of the issues with this daily and they’re looking into it. Thanks.

How about just leaving things the way they are? I liked how the dailies were prior to this patch.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Depo.9071

Depo.9071

Did all you people miss the post in this thread saying they are working on fixing this? Put the pitch forks away…

Combo Killer

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Did all you people miss the post in this thread saying they are working on fixing this? Put the pitch forks away…

They are fixing it so that every kill counts. That doesn’t change the fact that this achievement is horrible.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Combo Killer

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

Observations:

-You can’t use your own fields. You also can’t use your pet’s fields (ie. spider poison cloud).

-The killing blow has to be a combo finisher, and it has to actually be the combo part that kills. Ranger healing spring therefore doesn’t work. Ranger fire trap does. Thief shadow refuge also works as does most of the elementalist fields (in case you hadn’t guessed, ran with an elementalist and thief while playing my ranger to do this one)

-You don’t have to be in a party, but it definitely makes it easier to coordinate laying down fields and letting your teammate get the killing blow.

-Don’t use %chance to finish abilities. It’s bad enough getting lucky to have the combo finisher be the kill without only have a chance to combo in the first place.

Anyway, took about 10 minutes once we figured all that out.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Combo Killer

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

4 of 6 options are coming in a later patch…just be patient people. They said long ago that this patch was just setting up the systems that will be introduced.

They shouldn’t have changed it until they were ready to introduce the options then. This is very similar to what happened with other errrors in introducing new content eg. ascended gear.

Anet just don’t learn, its becoming a pattern. Patch it in when the full system is ready, not half of it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Combo Killer

Posted by: draakdorei.9436

draakdorei.9436

This is working properly on Champion event mobs…that was the only way I got it done in PvE anyway. As long as everyone hit the mob, it didn’t really matter how it died, everyone was getting credit anyway.

Draakdorei – L80 Sylvari Engineer Support/Healer
Drake Rovan – L80 Human Ranger AoE Ranger/Spirit Buffer

Combo Killer

Posted by: shockwave.1764

shockwave.1764

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Whirling_Wrath

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leap_of_Faith

Whirling wrath creates projectiles which cure conditions = it does not count
leap of faith finisher creates auras = does not do extra damage = does NOT count into this achievement

So, thank you for your try.

Whirling Wrath + Purging Flames = Burning Bolts.

So, thank you for your try.

Shóckwávé 80 Elementalist, Shawk 80 Guardian,
Aolbjorn 80 Engineer | Rank 29
Staunch Evon Supporter

Combo Killer

Posted by: Coffeebot.3921

Coffeebot.3921

So far I’ve achieved the 10 combo finishers, but I’m not sure of the mechanics of ‘why’ I got the finishers.
So far, I know that the finisher must apply a condition to the enemy, which excludes many of the most useful finisher effects like AoE might etc.
I believe that you need to get the finishing shot with a damaging finisher, but the opening shot also seems valid (but couldn’t reliably test this).
Fire fields with ranged attacks or whirls seem to be the best option, poison will also work well but other fields don’t seem to be useful.
Leap finishers are mostly useless and blast finishers (bets for the team) are useless for this achievement.

Fornicate like you’ve never fornicated before.
I am anti-censorship, for it doesn’t make sense to pander to a minority.

Combo Killer

Posted by: LiuliRenai.3928

LiuliRenai.3928

Easy to finish in seconds with some classes (those who have a lot of combo fields): Go to Orr, Penitent camp, defend the camp, drop combo fields. 20+ people will combo in the field, granting you the achievement.

I had the same problems as everyone else here. Tried for half an hour to combo with friends and nothing. Went to Penitent camp and dropped a few combo fields as a mesmer and boom, daily done.

Liuli – Mesmer – Piken Square

Combo Killer

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I finished it.

• the combo used to kill something MUST BE A DAMAGING COMBO (Fire field will work…blind field will not)

I do like having cooperation between people require, though. However, I would like to make this suggestion. Either:

• Reduce the number of combo kills required by half, OR
  • Have any damaging combo with an ally count towards a large total (say 50)
  • It is MUCH easier to be the one laying the combo fields for this achievement. Consider that

Otherwise, good update. that was just a tad frustrating, tho.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

(edited by Vorch.2985)

Combo Killer

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Definitely doesn’t work as intended. It’s good to see ANET is looking into it.

Regardless, this isn’t something that should be in a daily. Forcing people to kill a certain way? This seems to violate ANET’s “fun” manifesto.

Combo Killer

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

FYI, it appears to most consistently work if you kill a mob with your own combo finisher inside an ally’s combo field.

Combo Killer

Posted by: JNetRocks.3652

JNetRocks.3652

I recommend doing a dungeon. I got all 10 of mine within 5~ minutes just because there are so many fields and combos going on it’s a lot easier.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

Since the download is now complete, I will take my ele to the tunnel in Orr and throw everything I can at the risen hordes. Maybe that will work? At least I will get the grouping stuff, everyone does groups in the tunnel.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

It only works on like bosses.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Does this work only with combo finishers? I’ve been putting down all kinds of combo fields for people to use but I haven’t gotten 1 yet.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

I beg to differ. Learn to play your guardian better before posting in all caps.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hallowed_Ground (Fire Field)

and Whirling Wrath.

Use in co-operative combat.

I got my daily finished in about 30 minutes.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

You know, it figures, daily achievements were working now they are not. I was easily able to complete dailies before and they were a major source of karma. So, what do we do now? I guess no daily today, but could we get an Anet reply on whether this means no dailies from this point on?

Combo Killer

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

my combo daily completed in 5m in orr. ty liulirenai!

Combo Killer

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

and Whirling Wrath.

You also have Purging Flames.

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

Combo Killer

Posted by: Tortitudo Probo.2598

Tortitudo Probo.2598

Did it with a mesmer buddy who used null field and another one (forgot the name), I used kill shot. Just make sure the bullet passes through the barrier. No need to kill the mob with it, if you damage it and finish it off normally it also registers. GL!

[HB]

Combo Killer

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

For Guardians having trouble with this, use Hallowed Ground and Purging Flames to make fire fields for your allies. If you are in a party, you don’t have to do anything else, just drop the fields and watch the magic. If you are not in a party, you must also get “tagging” credit along with dropping the field for it to count.

Whirling Wrath in a fire field should technically count, but I didn’t have much luck with it. I think one of the projectiles has to make the kill and not one of the hits that comes from just spinning. Even if you clip inside the enemy you aren’t guaranteed that a projectile will make the kill.

Our light fields are useless for this as the only benefits that come from light fields are condition removal and retaliation. I did not have the patience to see if a mob killed by the retaliation applied from a light field would count >_>

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Combo Killer

Raine.1394

and Whirling Wrath.

You’re seriously suggesting changing your build in order to get a daily achievement? Sorry, this one’s broken. And, it was an easy one to foresee being broken. It just leaves you scratching your head.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Combo Killer

Posted by: YPC.6349

YPC.6349

This is the first time my ranger taste the sweet tear of those OP warriors. It is so easy. Healing spring+fire/frost trap+piercing arrow+mob. Two of them can get it done in 10 mins.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

You’re suggesting changing your build in order to get a daily achievement? Sorry, this one’s broken. And, it was an easy one to foresee being broken. It just leaves you scratching your head.

Change your build? Hardly. Just swap a couple of skills. If you aren’t already swapping skills on a regular basis to match the needs of the situation, you’re doing it wrong (or at least inefficiently).

But yes, this one needs looked at.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Combo Killer

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Great more ill thought out designs and broken mechanics.
Play the way they want or dont play at all – I get it I get it now thanks anet.
Think I may just do that.

Combo Killer

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Just change this daily so that it works when multiple people damage and then kill a certain target. Needing to use combo fields is dumb. Don’t ask people to play the game a certain way.

Combo Killer

Posted by: Atonement.8021

Atonement.8021

It is a bit difficult to get, seems a bit buggy atm but I’m sure it will be sorted with time. Anyways, I managed to do it with a guildie with me (as my ele) laying down a combo field, and then him (as his mesmer) killing the enemy – I had already got it by this point but I can confirm it worked for him. Also we found it MUCH easier underwater, ele combo fields with the trident are easy to attack into and this has the added bonus of getting your daily underwater kills. Hope this might be of some help!

Combo Killer

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

it seriously isn’t that bad. my guard’s weapons sets both do not have any combo finishers, so i had to buy a white gs and run around at pent/shelter throwing down purging flames and hallowed ground in addition to gs2+3 for my completion. but it was fun and i got 5unid dyes and 2 rares out of the events. can’t complain

Combo Killer

Posted by: Durjoa.7349

Durjoa.7349

Tried the combo achievements with guild mates in a group. Never triggered. Totally bugged I think.

Combo Killer

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I’m not against this idea at all, I actually enjoyed grouping with more people to finish it, I just don’t like how bugged it is atm. It’s not that hard people , besides it’s gonna be different every day

Combo Killer

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

The team is aware of the issues with this daily and they’re looking into it. Thanks.

Meanwhile some people have done it and others haven’t.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Combo Killer

Raine.1394

You’re suggesting changing your build in order to get a daily achievement? Sorry, this one’s broken. And, it was an easy one to foresee being broken. It just leaves you scratching your head.

Change your build? Hardly. Just swap a couple of skills. If you aren’t already swapping skills on a regular basis to match the needs of the situation, you’re doing it wrong (or at least inefficiently).

But yes, this one needs looked at.

That’s called a build. I don’t use that skill because it has no place in a shout build. If you are swapping your utilities with no thought of build synergy you are doing it wrong.

Combo Killer

Posted by: NickDollahZ.5348

NickDollahZ.5348

So disappointed at this daily. I wasnt able to get it done because it didnt work half the time. Atleast the next one is easier. Still left a bad taste in my mouth.