Commanders R Us

Commanders R Us

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: derenault.9043

derenault.9043

The change to commander tags is nice…unfortunately, announcing the intention to jack the price up after September 8th has resulted in nearly everyone buying one; in and of itself not a bad thing, but considering that half the gaming community keeps them up for a laugh, it’s become an annoying joke.
Simply, there needs to be an option, before this feature pack, to allow the option of disabling commander views, exclusive of the squad you’re in. We’d all like to believe, I’m sure, that people are mature enough not to use them to disrupt world events and throw off coordination, but that would be an utter lie.
The world events have become a ridiculous mess because of this. I’m glad that it created massive cash flow for Arena Net, but it is having a negative impact on people who play the game to have fun and win, rather than the teeming number of Dorito-Wielders that play to annoy other people.
I’m not saying in any way they don’t have a right to have it, but we should also have the option to not have to see it if we don’t want to.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

I’m looking forwards to show off my multi colored com tags in random locations in pve and lions arch and so do you

Commanders R Us

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I look forward to the graphics option to NOT display them. Thats right.

1. Display commander tags.
2. Display commander tags for my server only.
3. Display commander tags for my guild only.
4. Do not display commander tags.

Coming soon.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Join the squad of a commander and you won’t see any other commander tags. It already works this way. If you just don’t like to see commander tags on the map well… shrug Not much I can do to help you with there. Maybe the will put in a feature at some point that allowed you to toggle on and off viewing commander tags on PVE maps.

Though, to be fair there are plenty of places where having a commander tag in PVE is nice.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

I hope someone from ANET reads this thread. Here is a screenshot of the madness that is on my minimap right now. This is ridiculous!

Attachments:

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

That is pretty ridiculous, but how often does it happen, and how often will it be happening a month from now? I suspect the novelty will wear off pretty shortly after the update, and it won’t be nearly such a problem.

Still, the option to hide them makes a lot of sense. I don’t really see any drawbacks to doing that.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

You make it sound like ANet didn’t plan this, or account for it.

Between the cheap Commander tags and all of the gem store sales, Hundreds of thousands of gold just got dumped into a huge void.

Once its all over, the econemy will be far more stable.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

I have never understood why we did not have the option to hide them. If you open up the map and click the little eye on the bottom left, there are options to hide just about every other icon on the map. They just need to add another checkbox that gives us the option to hide these icons like all other icons.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Between that and the Gem Shop sale, there’s a lot of gold being vacuumed out of the economy.

Sadly I can see a lot of players feeling the need to farm even more to recover all that gold rather than enjoy playing the game for fun.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I brought this up yesterday, but I’ll do it again because I can. It amuses me that NOW people are echoing my calls for a UI option to hide the commander tags from the map. Commander tags are the most prominent icons on the map. If you zoom out all the way on the world map, the icon grows to the size of Fort Salma. I brought this up more than a year ago and it’s been largely ignored… until now. The plot thickens! Dun dun dun!

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Commanders R Us

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

It’s unfortunate that we need Anet to implement features to display or hide tags. Players need to be more considerate and show some proper etiquette when displaying their tags.

I was tagging up earlier for events and i’m sure some noobs were confused about it because of all the tags. Oh well.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

i dont even wanna tag up anymore to be honest… and i got my tag since a year

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I still think that if they weren’t something you have to “earn,” then people wouldn’t be so obsessed with tagging up to show off. Granted, it may be too late to shift peoples’ mindset now.

Or words to that effect.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: OnyX.9027

OnyX.9027

join me in the club of those who will not buy a tag just to have a blue Dorito over my head

We will be in the minority soon lol

Reservoir Shugo – Necro
Soul of Onyx – Guardian

Commanders R Us

GOSU.9574

Join the squad of a commander and you won’t see any other commander tags. It already works this way. If you just don’t like to see commander tags on the map well… shrug Not much I can do to help you with there. Maybe the will put in a feature at some point that allowed you to toggle on and off viewing commander tags on PVE maps.

Though, to be fair there are plenty of places where having a commander tag in PVE is nice.

Join some random pack of vanity plate toting baddies doing some random thing I am not doing in order to remove the blight anet has put on my screen? Are you even half serious?

I don’t need your help so I don’t get why you think I do? Once the graphic option to remove them is in game, I won’t have any issue any longer. Your 100/300g, not mine.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Costeleta.7236

Costeleta.7236

I hope someone from ANET reads this thread. Here is a screenshot of the madness that is on my minimap right now. This is ridiculous!

the dorito apocalypse!

Just a nobody

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

It looks like that guild doesn’t have quite enough commander tags. At those numbers they must have quite a few people present who don’t have one. They should really get that sorted. Everyone knows you need 100% commander tag representation to succeed at guild missions.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Hawk.3574

Hawk.3574

They need to make commander tags have a requirement of say 10 people in your squad to show up on the map then have multiple levels for each 10 which changes the symbol. This way if a commander is doing a horrible job of leading people can leave the squad and the tag disappears from the map or if they are doing a great job you can pick them out.

Offer no refunds on tags bought with this change and watch how many people cry (insert evil laugh)

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

That was taken whilst standing in the middle of a guild event. Which means it’s virtually certain that all those commanders were in the same guild, and had agreed in guild chat to put their tags up for a joke.

Both of my guild have done this from time to time. Sometimes they even spell things on the map with them.

Can you honestly say you’ve seen anything even close to that number of commanders in any other place and time? Even LA?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Commanders R Us

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

You’re standing in a site for guild missions…did you honestly not expect that ?

Commanders R Us

GOSU.9574

You’re standing in a site for guild missions…did you honestly not expect that ?

Elaborate further. Why would a guild doing a guild mission possibly need that many commander tags up?

I often see about twice the amount in that screenshot. Yes, it is ridiculous. Yes you can refuse to believe it or offer contrary statements without facts like “Oh, its a guild mission site! They need that many commander tags!”. No, you do not prove this blight needs to exist.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In three months, most people who bought tags on a lark are going to stop displaying them. Most people who use them to command/lead/guide will continue to use them to good effect.

Rather than make it easy to hide the tags, I’d prefer that ANet introduce a system that requires commanders to earn their Doritos. That way, only people who actually lead will appear on the map.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Alvarez Azel.4083

Alvarez Azel.4083

An average day at teq…

Attachments:

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

ArenaNet actually gets to use this as more of a gold sink than it would have been. So many people bought these at 100g that wouldn’t have(like me) when they were going to charge per color anyways. I got mine just in case they give us more options down the road. That way I don’t have to spend quite so much coin in the future. I have had it for a week and I haven’t even turned it on yet. I don’t plan to either unless guild functionality is enabled for it so I can use it during guild events without it drawing attention from people outside my guild.

For two years I have lobbied for a way to toggle dots on the mini map for people that are in your guild. It could be there if you want it and not there if you don’t. The guild options in this game are pretty poor. Heck, they don’t even display the Guild Message of the Day in the chat window and that has been a QOL feature in MMOs forever.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

An average day at teq…

Such command, very coordination…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do agree that the number of Commanders on the map can get pretty insane at times, but generally I find it more amusing than not.

Still, I would support a graphical option to not display Commander tags for clarity and ease of use.

Commanders R Us

Substance E.4852

Since everyone has a tag now, Anet just needs to let us join our own squad. Problem solved.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I look forward to laughing at the idiots who payed the gold for multicoloured tags…

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Maxwell.7843

Maxwell.7843

I don’t understand: I read the blog entry about the changes to the commander system, and it doesn’t say anything about paying extra for the colours.

On the other end, I keep reading posts which seem to hint that the information on the post I linked is obsolete… Could someone explain it to me?

Commanders R Us

GOSU.9574

Maw event…yes that level 8-10 event:

Attachments:

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Commanders R Us

Posted by: SKATE.1394

SKATE.1394

I always join a random squad anytime there are more than a few commander icons on the map. When there are several up at once it actually lags the entire server, because those particular players’ positions need to be tracked and reported to every single client in the zone at all times so it can be updated on the mini map. It would be great to have a toggle option to just hide them all automatically, cause it’s a pain in the kitten to have to constantly open my map up, scroll around, and click on one of the tags to join squad.

Commanders R Us

Substance E.4852

I don’t understand: I read the blog entry about the changes to the commander system, and it doesn’t say anything about paying extra for the colours.

On the other end, I keep reading posts which seem to hint that the information on the post I linked is obsolete… Could someone explain it to me?

They were going to change Tags so they were an account upgrade and refund any bought beyond 3. To balance this they were changing the price to 300g instead of 100g.

They also are going to add new colors. These colors would have been separate compendium books one would have to buy for 300g a pop to unlock the new colors.

We the player-base let Anet know how much of an absolutely “terrible” (I’d use more colorful language were it not for moderation/censorship) idea this was and they Xbox180’d and changed the system so on the 9th we will still be getting the account tags for 300g but they will now include all colors for the one time purchase price. Hence, people are going crazy and buying them up now while they are cheap so they can spam the rainbow then the update comes and save 200g.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

I just wished more people realized that having a commander tag does not make you a commander. I like the idea of having them be earned through some sort of task system as opposed to just being able to be bought. There are people who have tons of gold in this game but do not have the slightest clue on how to actually play since they spend all their time doing nothing but farming in a zerg. Then again, since GW2 is 90% farming related maybe it’s me that doesn’t know how to play since I refuse to farm…hmmm.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Maxwell.7843

Maxwell.7843

They were going to change Tags so they were an account upgrade and refund any bought beyond 3. To balance this they were changing the price to 300g instead of 100g.

They also are going to add new colors. These colors would have been separate compendium books one would have to buy for 300g a pop to unlock the new colors.

We the player-base let Anet know how much of an absolutely “terrible” (I’d use more colorful language were it not for moderation/censorship) idea this was and they Xbox180’d and changed the system so on the 9th we will still be getting the account tags for 300g but they will now include all colors for the one time purchase price. Hence, people are going crazy and buying them up now while they are cheap so they can spam the rainbow then the update comes and save 200g.

Thanks

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Lady Celtaine.3760

Lady Celtaine.3760

Coming soon.

I’m not sure how that(2) will work if it’s at all relevant with the megaserver anyway. But I really like this(3) idea.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

GOSU…. I so +1 u’r suggestion!!!

Kima & Co

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Coming soon.

I’m not sure how that(2) will work if it’s at all relevant with the megaserver anyway. But I really like this(3) idea.

Also:

(Display tag for my squad only)

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Commanders R Us

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Coming soon.

Also:

(Display tag for my squad only)

For a company that says they iterate so much, you’d think options like this or just having a guild see it would be no-brainers. Sometimes the disconnect between action and word is baffling. How long have people been asking for a toggle to not see tags?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Commanders R Us

GOSU.9574

Coming soon.

For instance, lets say you are doing Cursed Shore events, and you play on Henge of Denravi. Now you are in that glorious melting pot called the Megaserver with multiple server populations sharing it at the same time. Enable this option to only view Henge of Denravi Commander Tags.

In any event, I would take the Display only my guild’s Commander Tags as a single option. Since I am in a guild of 1, and I don’t display my commander tag, I remove the blight.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…