Could You Play ONE Class Only?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DarkusRogue.3027

DarkusRogue.3027

I can never seem to stick to one character for too long. I’ve deleted about 3 level 80s just so I can make and play another character. I find I like doing certain things on certain characters, and I’m always switching between sPvP, WvW and PvE. It’s nice to have different characters for a change of gameplay, though.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I have 10 level 80s, 1 of each profession with 2 extra mesmers. Of the characters that I still have ranger is my oldest and first to 80. My first mesmer has 100% map and twice as much game play as any other character. Then comes my elementalist with 97% map completion. Those 3 also have 100% wvw map although I rarely play anything other than PvE. Those 3 along with my warrior have all 8 crafting disciplines to 400, and beyond for some of them. Of my 10 toons 3 are human, 1 charr, 2 asura, 2 norn and 2 sylvari. Each one has exotic armor and weapons with ascended amulets and a mix of other accessories.

I’ve enjoyed playing all of them but if I had to limit to one profession it would definitely be mesmer. But since I don’t have to I see no reason to limit myself. Once they all have 100% map completion some will be parked at jumping puzzle chests to be harvested each day and probably not used for much else.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

I’ve fully equipped all my characters with full-ascended-everything except the engineer, who got a legendary because statswap actually means something there.

The characters all have various strengths depending on the kind of support they can bring, whether it be the ability to tank all bosses for your party that zerkthieves can offer, the mightstacking ability that PS warriors and elementalists can offer, the condition redirection that the necromancer can offer, the portal and ethereal field spam the mesmer can offer, the water field, projectile nullification and frostspotter damage boost the ranger can offer etc etc…

I spend the majority of my time in the thief because incidentally, it fulfils the most needed roles in dungeon speedrunning (AoE stealth, boss tanking, deactivating multiple locks with one character, highest cleave DPS, 1200u pull, blind spamming, and defiance stripping), as well as being the fastest character for node farming, but I wouldn’t want to ‘stop’ playing any of the other classes.

Posted by: Mugiwara Zoro.9240

Mugiwara Zoro.9240

It depends on my mood, I couldn’t stick to one. I have 3 of every profession at lvl 80, some of them I haven’t actively played for a long time (cough ranger cough) but I log into each character daily for daily gathering. Most of them have 5-7% map completion, just enough to unlock all dungeon waypoints.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

That’ll be boring as hell to me. I have at least 2 of each profession, so I can have different gear focus on each without having to carry all the stuff in one character.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

I only play one class. I always have in every MMO, I can’t stand starting over.

This is a good point here and brings up my biggest question with GW2 – Is there 1 class that you can play for every aspect of the game, make limited changes to gear, and still be effective?

I have 5, almost 6 80’s now and I’ve still never been able to answer that question.

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Not really, no. If, for whatever reason, I was forced to though, I’d stick to ranger. I love exploring all the options and possible builds in the game and I’ve written a character for each race/profession. 20 of those are in already, 25 more waiting for slots to be on sale. Each of them uses a different set of skills, weapons and traits, depending on rp and part of the fun for me is trying to make them work in PvX.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Hey everyone, I’ve got a question to pose to the community, for the following reason. I have 3 level 80 toons that I play; necro (1st created), warrior (2nd), and ranger (3rd). I wanted one of each armor weight, basically, so I could get different looks. But, I find myself ignoring 2 of my toons for long stretches at a time. I’m currently on necro, playing in SW a lot. So I wonder if I should just focus on one class… and ONLY one class, and not play the others.

That makes me wonder if there are other players out there that have done that, currently do that, or are also thinking about it. If so, what class did you choose, and why?

Personally, I like all 3 but find that they all have different areas where they shine. I love my necro in WvW/SW, warrior is always wanted in dungeons and other boss events for DPS, and ranger is valued in many places now. If I go ahead and focus on one, I’ll have a hard time choosing which one that will be! But focusing might be best to really get to know the class, and also so that if I have some gold to spend I’m not trying to decide who gets what

I have a necro i use for spvp and guild missions (because of 100% map completion)
An elementalist that does speed runs
A guardian for high level fractals
A ranger for wvwvw
An engineer for roleplaying
A warrior and a mesmer that just look cool but i dont really use.

I think i would keep the ele, out of all those. It is fun a so versatyle.

Posted by: Chaialyna.1023

Chaialyna.1023

I have lots of alts, about half at 80. I normally cycle through them as whim and mood dictate but I use my ranger for personal/Living story, my ele for guild missions and dungeons and my mesmer for guild missions and Silverwastes. I have alts whose function in life is to craft ascended gear and alts who work at the Divinity’s Reach bank, keeping an eye on my stuff and my personal guild bank. I have no interest in deleting any of them, even the ones “in reserve” who haven’t quite found their niche yet.

In the last year I’ve mostly played ele, ranger and guardian. I left my level 80 mesmer completely stranded at the top of a jumping puzzle until after a year I got a mood to play her again and discovered that I really did enjoy her skills. I’ve been giving my guardians a rest since October, but I might decide I want to take them into the new areas when the expansion comes out, specifically to compare to the Revenant.

I tend to focus on one at a time but I like having the rest available for when things change. If you want to focus completely on only one, that’s what you should do. It’s not my cup of tea, but it might be yours.

Alts-R-Us ~ All professions at 80 ~ Still leveling characters.
Main? What “main”? I play all of them sooner or later.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Considering one class includes three professions, that is still quite a bit of choice.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

i have a bunch of alts of different classes but i pretty much exclusively play warrior

it’s just more fun to me, doesn’t make a difference whether you main a class or not, do what you want

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Necromancer. I started Thief, and love it, but my Necro has never felt repetitive or bland, despite running the same skill set for 2.5 years.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I have one of each profession, and I like all of them (well, my ranger is probably my least favorite).

If I was forced to play only one, I’d probably end up with Guardian, because they seem to have a decent fit in just about every area of the game. He’s not my favorite character though.

Posted by: Doflamingo.6957

Doflamingo.6957

Guild Wars same with most mmos now but specific Guild Wars 2 is designed so that you play only with 1 character the story progress map progress etc if you play with 2 or more characters you can never fully play the game and do everything in it

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Guild Wars same with most mmos now but specific Guild Wars 2 is designed so that you play only with 1 character the story progress map progress etc if you play with 2 or more characters you can never fully play the game and do everything in it

I think I get your point, here. For the most part, playing alts distracts from making full progress on one character.

Although when it comes to farming, having alts parked at rich nodes, node farms, or loot chests sure decreases the amount of time to gather materials.

Posted by: Anexx.2483

Anexx.2483

I have 5 80s; a guardian, ranger, ele, thief, and recently a mesmer. My guardian is my main and I have as many hours as the other 4 together, but nowadays I find myself on my ele and mesmer and not even batting an eye at the other 3.

Posted by: Torenn.2598

Torenn.2598

Depends on the game. In WoW, I absolutely loved playing a protection warrior. It was all I played for years. The abilities clicked with me and felt incredibly satisfying, and focusing on mitigation/defense was more fun for me than dps’ing or healing. Going toe-to-toe with powerful bosses and not getting one-shot was just an awesome feeling, especially when you had a whole raid behind you doing their thing. My wife played a restoration shaman, so that helped too.

I find it harder to settle on a profession in GW2, so I play multiple. I’m still somewhat partial to warriors, but I do miss the feel of tanking.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I could not play only 1 profession.

If there are 3 armour types, then I need a minimum of 3 characters, so I can enjoy all armours.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I play most classes currently but that is only due to the inability to use templates and save builds. If I could make templates for each play style I would only have one main character. That won’t sell character slots in the store however, and has sadly (purposely?) been put on the back burner for over two years now.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Hmm yep I could~

I have an 80 everything and I only really play my mes

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

I already play engie only :P

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

The biggest disadventage of playing one class only will be for PvP/WvW where you need knowledge about your enemy class.
However the pro is that playing one class is that you can master your class.

Personally I feel I reached the skill ceiling of over 4 proffs so I tend to play whatever I feel like.

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I already play engie only :P

Me, too. I have a level 80 of each class because for some reason I find it fun to come up with new character concepts and dress them.

But in all honesty, I leveled them all with tomes.

That I got in PvP. On my engi.

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

I have 18 toons, all of the level 80’s. And for the most part, each has a different purpose.
Without race involved, my preferred playing order is:
1. Thief
2. Ranger
3. Warrior
4. Necro
5. Ele
6. Engi
7. Guardian

However, that being said, if we are talking about PvP: Ranger(Asura), Necro(Asura), Thief (Asura)

For WvW: Thief (Norn)or Ele(Sylvari)

For Guild missions: Warrior (Human) or Guardian (Norn)

Dungeons: Ranger (Sylvari) or Warrior(Human)

For just general putzing around: Thief(Norn) or Engi (Asura)

I would go stir crazy if I could only have one toon…

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

I played only ele for almost a year and a half. Recently i created 7 more characters and got them to level 80 but still play ele 90% of the time. Sometimes i play guardian, war or thief if no one else wants.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

This thread motivated me to mess around with some other classes again in pvp.

After one day I just can’t stand it – I have no connection to any of the characters, and personally they’re all boring compared to mesmer.

Posted by: Charlottea.1205

Charlottea.1205

I normally have a main for each play style. For PvE, I have my staff elementalist. For PvP, I seem to be best at mesmer so that is what I play. But of course, it’s not set in stone. Some days I will play one of my other 9 characters when I get bored. It’s all about how I feel that day lol

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Well, I do have multiples of every class, because I wanted one character per gender per race per armor weight. But only the ranger is represented by all races. And my second account only exist of rangers.

So, yes, I could play one class only.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Well, I do have multiples of every class, because I wanted one character per gender per race per armor weight. But only the ranger is represented by all races. And my second account only exist of rangers.

So, yes, I could play one class only.

Wow! And I thought I liked ranger Well done. I like mine enough for her to be the only one to get a legendary… or well there’s that other thing that I don’t like most legendaries :P

I think my biggest problem is lack of play time. I’m maybe playing 8 -10 hours a week at the moment so I feel like maybe if I focus I can accomplish lots on just one toon but very little for all 3 at the same time.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: shinreigari.7318

shinreigari.7318

After 2 and a half years of not-always-active playing (meaning i’ve missed out a few months now and then, and almost the whole living story season 1 – but i am over 11k AP now) I now have one lvl 80 char of every class in the game. I’ve completed this recently with warrior, which i’ve refused to play for a very long time, and when i did start to level one occasionally, i usually quit it before lvl 50.

Anyways! This is the only game where i found myself switching “main characters” every few months. My oldest char is a sylvari necro, but i haven’t played with her actively with like a year or so. My second oldest char is a human ranger that i loved for many months. It was the 1st char that had 100% map completion and therefore i considered her my main for a long time. She got the biggest inventory bags, she was the one i went to world bosses with, etc.
But after some time i became a bit bored with ranger too, so i moved on to a different class. I eventually leveled every profession like this, even several characters of the same profession – i have a delete count of 3 level 80 necros, 2 guards, and 2 thieves so far while still having one at lvl 80 currently.

It was very nice trying all classes, but i think the one that taught me most about game mechanics was Elementalist, which i now consider my main. After i experienced how unforgiving this class is (meaning if a mob farts on you, you die) and how aware i have to be of my surroundings and how well i needed to dodge to survive, this class simply improved my gameplay with every other class as well. Where i did “ok” before ele, i was invincible after ele! (okay, little exaggeration there)
Of course, there were a few months when i haven’t touched my ele either, but i found myself coming back to her once and i’m stuck with her ever since (a ferocious charr female btw). I completed 100% world just before they removed the WvW completion from it, so i still experienced trying to get the last vista+poi for a week :P

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I’ve played ever class to 80, except necro. I already only really play on one class now. That class is thief. Cooldown game play doesn’t excite me.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

If I could play one class and one class only it’d thief. Too much fun.

Runners up would be ranger due to easyness and then maybe engi because it’s a bit more challenging.

Posted by: Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Unforgiven Azrael.6203

easy, Warrior for me I have 5 lvl 80s of them, 1 for every race (along with and 80 of all the other classes but I only leveled them to have them if needed). I just dont like the play style of the other classes, guardian is fine and I sometimes use it for pvp, but for everything else it just feels better to play as a warrior

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

In GW1 I played something like 98% of my time as a ranger despite having all the classes at 20. At the time I was very new to MMOs and had quite a few of the anti-farm anti-min/maxing views I still see so many players hold today.

In GW2 my playstyle changed quite a bit, though I still spend the majority effort on my ranger. However, with the new mindset I have now, I have no problem repeating content (dungeons) and trying out meta builds if I’m struggling. The result is that I get to change it up and take a different character to a dungeon or map any time I want.

I still have to take my ranger to fractals because I have not invested in AR (or in many cases, ascended gear) for my other characters. Ranger is a good fractals profession though. Great stability for melee and great ranged damage for the many ranged parts (compared to dungeons at least) fractaling throws at you.

When HoT releases, my ranger will be the first to enter the new areas as well. I feel like once mastered, there is no better profession to take into new/uncertain situations. Such a solid mix of damage and self reliance.

So yeah. If I HAD to play only one profession it would be ranger. However, my elementalist only takes second place by a hair. It’s a very close race between the two.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I couldn’t do it. I am an altoholic. Back in the early days of Guild Wars, when we couldn’t buy extra characters slots, I bought a second account just so I could have MOAR ALTS. Alts are my ‘endgame’.

Currently I have 14 level 80s on my main account — two of every profession except thief and engineer — and 5 ‘in progress’ characters on my relatively new alt account (which I picked up last winter during a 75% off sale): ranger, mesmer, elementalist, thief, engineer. 4 asura, 3 sylvari, 1 norn, 1 charr — all the rest are human.

I am more than ready for some new professions, new races, new places, new stuff for new alts. Not much interested, though, in jumping mushrooms. Unless jumping mushrooms is a new playable race…

The table is a fable.

Posted by: DayLeeKnight.6398

DayLeeKnight.6398

I know I am kind of late replying to this, but lets start.
Since headstart of the game I played every class at least a little bit and always loved every class, because every single class has its unique playstyle so it is actually really fun for me to switch classes every now and then.
But for a long time now ( about 2 years) I thought about focusing at only ONE class and stay with it. Now I finally decided to do so and focus only on my thief now. The reason for me why I chose thief over all other 8 classes is that I really like the fast gameplay of it in sPvP and that is basically what I am mainly focus on nowadays. And I want to play only one class, so I can actually master it and have 1 class that I play 100%-ish perfect.
But I won’t abandon the other 8 completely. I will still play them from time to time (once there is a “big” meta chance for the class) and try to find all weak-spots of the other classes so I can counter them with my thief as best as I can.
Let’s see how long I can do that or if I may fall back to play many different classes active again one day.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

mismir <3 i cant find myself to play something else for a while and not have the urge to go back to my mismir

Posted by: Fade to Black.7042

Fade to Black.7042

I would if i could.

When i started i felt revenant was the perfect profession for me, loved it. Then they started nerfing it at pvp and i had to start playing warrior. Then they nerfed Rev in Raids then i started playing Warrior in raids. And i hate the balance team for it, ruined my favorite class. Now i only play Rev in WvW and PvE, hoping they’ll show rev some love.

(edited by Fade to Black.7042)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’m doing it right now. My Necromancer is currently my ONLY character.

Quoting myself from earlier in this necro thread, as I now have several characters. However, these characters were all created for role play purposes instead of a desire to play a certain class.

Interesting how things change over time.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I have 1 character for each profession, but in the end, I play mostly my Engie and secondly my Reaper. The rest are visited from time to time, mostly to craft things with them.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Have 80s of all classes, but play mainly only Thief when I do in the game something I care fore, simply I can play the class from all the best as its my style of gameplay of havign a fast paced on demand attack class that hasn’t to realy as much on skill cooldowns like all the others.

And I want to have a quick moving character that can also avoid on demand trash mobs in PvE and with that are Thieves simply the best.

Started as main thief in 2012 release day and never changed that until today.
Mainly created other characters and classes only out of achievement reasons back at that time when I cared for achievements due to me wanting to be among the top 1000 players with highest AP, which I never were able to reach lol (was only good enough to be among the top like 1250 for all the time until I made a break from this game – mayve would have had better chances for this, if i wouldn’t have gotten early on in the game my account hacked and stolen by a stupid botter which infested GW2 early after its release like a massive plague )

So basically I have no problems with it to play only with 1 class in a game, if I find it to be early on in a game to be the only class, that I really like to play and which interests me alot.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

I have 10 toons, all geared up and elites mastered. However, I only PvE with my warrior since she’s the only one with 100% map completion, crafting professions mastered, stories completed, bag slots bought etc. The others are for WvW, PvP and random guild hall dueling fun.

Posted by: Ghoststeel.6098

Ghoststeel.6098

I plan on having one of every class in the end (I started about 2 months ago) but unless something changes I will be focusing primarily on my Elementalist and occasionally my Engineer. Part of the reason is that I want to educate myself what each class is capable of, the second reason is because they operate as extra storage space i don’t have to pay gems for (and i like to dress them up.) Elementalist is the class I am most satisfied with, Engineer has a ton of options and I like tooling around with it to see what I can accomplish. So I would say, I could play only one class, but whats the point when its so easy to bring up all your other classes after you have leveled on to 80? With the “ease” of book grinding (I cam from a long line of Korean MMOs, its easy, trust me) you are almost encouraged to play more that one class.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

One class would be hard, but I guess as long as I could play a few dozend different characters of that class I’d be ok . Of course I’d miss my 3 mesmers and 4 eles if I could only play my 4 rangers/druids any more, but I’d survive.

Now if I had to restrict myself to 1 character I’d be out of here faster than light .

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I mainly play my ranger but I do mix it up a bit every now and then.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I have one of each class up to level 80 with elite spec unlocked, just in case I feel the urge to play them. But I tend to stick to one class at a time, for the most part. My current favorite is my elementalist and I spend basically no time on any of the others.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I have one of each class at 80 but generally play only one.

I developed that playstyle in GW1 where I wanted to know what to expect of any given class or build in PvP even though I prefered to stick with one class for the most part.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

GW2 has found a way for me to like all of the classes in some way or another, even after I hated ranger and necro at launch. So, nope, can’t just play one. I’ve got 80s of every class, often repeats of some classes, often for wardrobe/play style purposes. And GW2 being so alt friendly is a huge selling point for me. Like, literally. I’ve purchased all but one of my spare character slots with cash-gems.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I play 1 class per region + my main for most of the story stuff, makes things pretty interesting mixing things up like that.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Nice necro’d thread. :P To answer the question, I am a mainoholic and I play one class in every MMO, not only GW2.