Could we get DX12 with the next expansion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They really said that about the 64 bit client?

Nope. I don’t remember devs ever saying that 64bit would not be worth introducing. They only said that making it would be a lot of work. Which it certainly was.

Also, introducing 64bit was not just a QoL upgrade. It was necessary, due to the amount of crashes using 32 bit client on 64bit systems caused. As for better DirectX, well, having it would be nice (though not necessarily dx12, since only a relatively small minority would be able to use it anyway), but from what we know, far better effects could be reached by just optimizing the already existing system (since the main problems are not dx related).

And as for improving graphics’ quality, just compare the core zones with HoT. It’s clear that there were some upgrades to the engine that new zones are using. Why old zones are looking the same? Well, because Anet likely doesn’t have the manpower required to revamp them. Which would hold true for any future graphics engine upgrades as well.

TL/DR: If performance upgrade is what you’re looking after, dx12 is not what you should concentrate on. It won’t give you the results you want.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

I am a computer noob, what would be the difference if we switched to DX12?

According to the devs it would be a much bigger investment than its worth.

That’s what the devs and all the white knights said about the 64 bit client too. And guess what, the 64 bit client helped tremendously with the crashes. They make the excuses because they don’t want to do it not because it won’t help. They would rather spend the dev time on something they can market in the gem store.

They really said that about the 64 bit client? Helped me quite a bit. I think moving to Vulkan or DX12 would be great too but they have access to metrics and budget stuff that says it would’t be worth it

There is dev posts where they said both 64 bit client and newer versions of DX won’t help with performance. They said all the 64bit client would do is increase the amount of ram available which wouldn’t do much and that the small amount of gains from a new dx aren’t worth it. Amazing how 64bit client made such a big difference in the crashes.

DX 12 will make a difference. I don’t expect arenanet to release it tomorrow but they should be working on it.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

That’s what the devs and all the white knights said about the 64 bit client too. And guess what, the 64 bit client helped tremendously with the crashes. They make the excuses because they don’t want to do it not because it won’t help. They would rather spend the dev time on something they can market in the gem store.

They really said that about the 64 bit client? Helped me quite a bit. I think moving to Vulkan or DX12 would be great too but they have access to metrics and budget stuff that says it would’t be worth it

Nope. The most that I have seen them talk about the 64 bit client was that it would increase the memory usage to make it more difficult to crash due to memory fragmentation.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

I seriously don’t think we will see an upgrade to DX 11 or 12 any time soon. I’m getting on average 70 to 90 fps on my 3 year old i5 system with the 64bit client on Windows10 with most in game setting on high to medium. People are so obsessed with fps if you are getting 30+ the game is playable. The one question you need to ask yourself is “Are you having fun” and if the answer is yes then get over the fps issue and have fun! If the answer is No then move on to a different game. The game is what it is and no DX 12, maybe in GuildWars3

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There is dev posts where they said both 64 bit client and newer versions of DX won’t help with performance. They said all the 64bit client would do is increase the amount of ram available which wouldn’t do much and that the small amount of gains from a new dx aren’t worth it. Amazing how 64bit client made such a big difference in the crashes.

Yeah. Amazing also, that the performance on both 32bit and 64bit is exactly the same.

So them saying that 64bit client won’t help with performance was true. Crashes are a different matter (and they did say going 64bit would help with those, did they not?).

DX 12 will make a difference. I don’t expect arenanet to release it tomorrow but they should be working on it.

Oh, i’m pretty sure improving dx will make a difference. It just won’t visibly improve performance. It’s CPU usage that dramatically needs to be optimized.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Since the knights prefer to lie and ask for sources. Here ya go straight from ANetJohan

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

“As for DX9 and 32bit: Moving off of DX9 wouldn’t buy us a whole lot performance wise, as all interaction with DirectX is happening on the render thread, which is generally not the bottleneck. Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit also does not really buy us a lot performance-wise. There are some optimizations the compiler is able to do with 64-bit that it can’t do otherwise, but the actual FPS gain is minimal at best.”

So yeah he mostly down plays FPS gains but I consider a crash a major hinder to FPS my self. Since a crash basically equals 0 frames being displayed. There is a lot more that he says and I recommend the read

Ayrilana.1396

Since the knights prefer to lie and ask for sources. Here ya go straight from ANetJohan

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

“As for DX9 and 32bit: Moving off of DX9 wouldn’t buy us a whole lot performance wise, as all interaction with DirectX is happening on the render thread, which is generally not the bottleneck. Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit also does not really buy us a lot performance-wise. There are some optimizations the compiler is able to do with 64-bit that it can’t do otherwise, but the actual FPS gain is minimal at best.”

So yeah he mostly down plays FPS gains but I consider a crash a major hinder to FPS my self. Since a crash basically equals 0 frames being displayed. There is a lot more that he says and I recommend the read

Crashes and performance are not the same. Especially since he specfically addeessed each separately.

Also, please stop using white knights. It diminishes your argument and is no different than if I started calling everyone whiners for complaining regardless as to whether their complaints were legitimate or not. Those terms offer nothing except to insult someone else.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Did devs and your “white knights” said 64bit client wouldn’t increase performance? Yes
Did 64bit client increase performance? No.
So where devs and those “white knights” right? Yes.

Did devs and your “white knights” said 64bit client would fix crash issues? Yes.
Did 64bit client solved crashes? Yes.

Sigue aullando.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Did devs and your “white knights” said 64bit client wouldn’t increase performance? Yes

Did devs and your “white knights” said 64bit client would fix crash issues? Yes.

Sigue aullando.

It didn’t increase fps but removing crashes is increasing performance. Get over it yall are trying to spin it. Devs said its not worth it and then when HoT made it so that they couldn’t hide the issue anymore they fixed it with the thing they said that wouldn’t help performance.

Like has been mentioned over and over in these threads, its just not a priority to arenanet. Its has nothing to do with what it can or can’t do or will or will not do. Its just not a priority because things are good enough for them. That is all. Spin it how you want but that is the truth. If you think things are good enough I’m happy for you. I have never seen a game abandon the old DX version when adding support for new ones, so I am sure you will still be able to play in DX 9 if they do ever add support for a newer version.

Edit to add that I know the dev did mention specifically tequatl crashes. But they never said they would work on a new client. Then all of a sudden HoT made the crashes more abundant and they couldn’t ignore it anymore . Which only then did it become a priority and they started work on a 64bit client quietly. Then snuck it in to the client downloads page as a beta. If it was something they had been working on previously then it would have launched with HoT. Which shows they only did it when the complaints started rolling in.

(edited by Lobo Dela Noche.5127)

Ayrilana.1396

Sigue aullando.

It didn’t increase fps but removing crashes is increasing performance. Get over it yall are trying to spin it. Devs said its not worth it and then when HoT made it so that they couldn’t hide the issue anymore they fixed it with the thing they said that wouldn’t help performance.

The only spinning that I’m seeing is from you. Performance and crashing were mentioned separately.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Like I said in my above post it’s not going to happen so this topic need to die. If you enjoy the game then play if you don’t then move on the game is what it is. I play on my laptop from time to time and barely get 30 fps I don’t care I’m having fun. If you are getting low fps on a high end system then the issue is not the game but the way you have your system set up you probably have so much craptastic apps and programs running in the background it’s bogging down your system to where the game can’t run get the crap out don’t run a bunch of junk in the background while you are playing the game.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

LIf you are getting low fps on a high end system then the issue is not the game but the way you have your system set up you probably have so much craptastic apps and programs running in the background it’s bogging down your system to where the game can’t run get the crap out don’t run a bunch of junk in the background while you are playing the game.

Yeah right, thats why i have no fps issues on Black Desert which looks 100x better and yet my fps drops below 25 in gold city. And thats while being alone, in priv instance.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What people keep saying is that it’s not a worthwhile investment unless it is essential for playing the game. In the case of 64-bit, when the game launched, it wasn’t a good value. After HoT launched, it became one (in part, also because more of the community could make use of 64-bit).

They don’t “make excuses” — they make business decisions based on the biggest value for the most people, colored by what it costs them and what they can expect to earn. Having a poor performing game costs them more than having a bad gem shop. In contrast, having a great-performing game yields little more than having a well-performing game.

tl;dr it’s not an excuse to say that the benefits of Dx12 are limited and the costs are high.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

ITT: People with Nvidia cards wanting DX12.

Nvidia performs worst on DX12. Check the benchmarks. Tried myself in Ashes of The Singularity. I lost 2 fps over DX11. GG Nvidia.

You lost 2 fps on Nvidia in a game thats sponsored by AMD and coded specifically for AMD? Wow. Nvidia sucks :/

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Like I said in my above post it’s not going to happen so this topic need to die. If you enjoy the game then play if you don’t then move on the game is what it is. I play on my laptop from time to time and barely get 30 fps I don’t care I’m having fun. If you are getting low fps on a high end system then the issue is not the game but the way you have your system set up you probably have so much craptastic apps and programs running in the background it’s bogging down your system to where the game can’t run get the crap out don’t run a bunch of junk in the background while you are playing the game.

Gw2 is heavily dependent on single core performance.

All newer gamers’ dev understand that there are amd and intel in the market, so..many of those games are built with engine that allow you to use the most out of your own computers. Gw2 doesn’t, it doesn’t allow you to use the most out of your CPU and if anyone wants to further increase their Gw2 performance, they are to either overclock or buy a processor that has higher single core performance.

reminds me of nvidia gamework, games force people to purcahse nvidia cus of it

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

What people said about 64-bit was it wouldn’t speed things up, only make the OOM issue less of an issue. And that turned out to be true. Surprise.

But for Dx12 to rock we first need a Dx11 multi-threaded renderer. To get that to work the data objects in the game that the renderer references needs to be thread-safe and according to the ANet Engine Dev, that’s an issue that is being worked on/looked at.

Of course he also said that when the game’s performance suffers it is rarely the render thread but the main thread being bogged down. But since nobody seems to believe him when he says that, these threads will keep popping up.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes