Crafting the newer Legendaries

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Is it just me or is the time sync to build one of these obscene? I don’t expect it to be easy but for us family folk dumping a few hundred hours for one item is a big ask.

I just started into Hope Tier 3 and looks like I have a few hundred hours to go. I am not a very efficient player in PvE which is probably contributing to the slog but looks like I could easily grind through 500 hours of game play much of which I have already done countless times before.

Whew… ehhh… guess I will shelve my progress for now and hope they one day allow us to earn some of the necessary components from WvW or sPvP. Might be time to consider outsourcing to my nephew.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Posted by: Brahnan.1026

Brahnan.1026

Just do a small amount of your collection each day in addition to your normal play and you will get there before you know it.

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Just do a small amount of your collection each day in addition to your normal play and you will get there before you know it.

If I did an hour a day, every day and didn’t miss a day… I am guessing it would be 2019 before I got it. Seems strange the new legendaries have the money sink of the old ones (around 3k to craft) and a massive time sink. I can buy an older legendary for a what a new one costs to craft right out of the TP and not spend months cobbling together the parts.

Seems very excessive for one item that not every character can use. I cannot imagine what completionists do.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I did all of them over the course of a few days. They’re not that much of a time sink that you’re making them out to be.

EDIT: Since a couple people are having issues following the thread, the above that I’m referring to are the collections as that is what the OP is complaining about.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

“a few days” = a month, playing 16h a day?

Okay seriously now – I’d like to build a legendary, too, but since i got a job, a girlfriend and other hobbies like sports, i can only play like <2 hours every other day, so I don’t think i will ever be able to. And I’m sure there are people with families who play even less than me.
So for people like me or them it’s almost impossible to craft a legendary while still feeling a little bit of progression in other parts of the game.

On the one hand, I’d like legendaries to be a little easier to craft. On the other hand, I know MMORPG’s need a lot of dedication and players with “too much time” who play like 5h+ everyday need an occupation.
It’s a double edged sword.
I’d really appreciate if ANet decided to publish some kind of “light version” of legendaries, easier to craft and with a little less “bling bling”

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Legendaries are exactly that. Legendary. It takes however long it takes, the requirements are the same for every player.

My first legendary took me 6 months to build, this was 3 or 4 years ago, before the guaranteed way of precurser crafting.

I have a full time job and hobbies outside of gw2 aswell but here I am, with 7 bound Legendary Weapons, 3 crafted and sold Legendaries and 2 legendary backitems. All it takes is persistance.

Kitten.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

But it doesn’t doesn’t necessarily take that much time to do the collections.
Look over it, and decide on one or two to aim for in a days playtime.
Most will be fairly quick, check the wiki if you’re unsure of what you need to do or where/when an event is. Some are hard to time, but establish a pattern of checking on any problematic ones first each playsession, maybe even try to schedule your playtime to match organized Shatterer run if you haven’t kicked that off yet.
If you haven’t already, read https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/HOPE_III:_Prototype and structure your collection from that.

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

Well I have a full time job a wife 2 kids and a homeowner. I play around 2 hrs a day except on my 2 days off when I play 4 to 6 hrs while everyone is asleep. I manage to get full raid clears and enough gold playing the bltp. I have 21 legendary weapon 2 full sets of armor 2 backpieces and going to get the trinket soon. I’ve been playing since launch. It takes me 3 months most to acquire 1 and that is if I don’t do the trading post. Maximize your time. Do hot daily meta to get that almagamated stone. Do fractal 40 till you puke. Raid raid raid. All while playing the tp. And you too can be legendary like me.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I have no idea what it took in hours because I never made any attempt to count but my first legendary took me a year and a half to build – and that was using the old system where you bought the precursor from the TP (or wasted even more time and money trying to get it from the Forge) and ‘only’ needed to do the last phase to make the actual legendary. Oh and that was also starting with 60% map completion already done and many materials I needed already obtained before I decided to start.

Legendaries, all legendaries, are supposed to take a lot of time and money to make. They are the ultimate GW2 item – the equivalent of other games super-rare drop your friend will claim he once saw someone using or the top tier hardcore raid gear. Except being Guild Wars they’re purely cosmetic and accessible to more people.

How long it takes to get them will vary a lot between people. I think the first one was completed 14 days after the game was released (but that was a group effort), I didn’t even start until I’d been playing for a couple of years and as I said it took me a year and a half to get it done. But it’s not supposed to be quick or cheap or easy for anyone.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Ayrilana.1396

“a few days” = a month, playing 16h a day?

Okay seriously now – I’d like to build a legendary, too, but since i got a job, a girlfriend and other hobbies like sports, i can only play like <2 hours every other day, so I don’t think i will ever be able to. And I’m sure there are people with families who play even less than me.
So for people like me or them it’s almost impossible to craft a legendary while still feeling a little bit of progression in other parts of the game.

On the one hand, I’d like legendaries to be a little easier to craft. On the other hand, I know MMORPG’s need a lot of dedication and players with “too much time” who play like 5h+ everyday need an occupation.
It’s a double edged sword.
I’d really appreciate if ANet decided to publish some kind of “light version” of legendaries, easier to craft and with a little less “bling bling”

A few days meaning it took an entire weekend when I did all four of them. Please don’t do exaggerations like the OP. You can probably do it within a month at less than two hours a day. Progress made isn’t lost.

It’ll be much faster than that for just a single legendary. I only did all four because of how much overlap there is with the collections.

And an FYI, there are plenty of people who play a lot that can get their legendaries wihile having a full time job, having a family, and maintaining a social life. You only lose all of that if you’re trying to get it all immediately but fortunately that time is minimal as far as the collections go.

Hyrai.8720

A few days meaning it took an entire weekend when I did all four of them. Please don’t do exaggerations like the OP.

That’s why i started the 2nd part of my post with “okay seriously now” ^^

You can probably do it within a month at less than two hours a day. Progress made isn’t lost.

It’ll be much faster than that for just a single legendary. I only did all four because of how much overlap there is with the collections.

And an FYI, there are plenty of people who play a lot that can get their legendaries wihile having a full time job, having a family, and maintaining a social life. You only lose all of that if you’re trying to get it all immediately but fortunately that time is minimal as far as the collections go.

I doubt that a whole legendary could be finished within 60hrs.
a month may be realistic if you play 3+ hours every day, and unknowingly finished a bunch of stuff before while doing something else. but a casual gamer that plays <2hrs every other day, so probably <8hrs/week, basically starting at 0… nope.

I can’t really tell what people with families do, since there can be huge differences. All I can tell from my personal experience with “gaming parents” is, that most of them lied about their online times (meaning they played a lot more than they admitted) and did not spend nearly as much time with their families as they should imo. But who am I to judge.
Since I don’t even have kids yet but still feel like not really having the time to craft a legendary, I can’t imagine parents with full time jobs having any more time. But again – I’m neither entitled to judge them, nor do I know their whole story. Maybe I’m just doing something wrong ^^

Overall I understand the concept of legendary gear being.. legendary.
But as I said before I would really like to get the opportunity of crafting some kind of “lower tier legendary”

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Ayrilana.1396

A few days meaning it took an entire weekend when I did all four of them. Please don’t do exaggerations like the OP.

That’s why i started the 2nd part of my post with “okay seriously now” ^^

You can probably do it within a month at less than two hours a day. Progress made isn’t lost.

I doubt that a whole legendary could be finished within 60hrs.
a month may be realistic if you play 3+ hours every day, and unknowingly finished a bunch of stuff before while doing something else. but a casual gamer that plays <2hrs every other day, so probably <8hrs/week, basically starting at 0… nope.

I can’t really tell what people with families do, since there can be huge differences. All I can tell from my personal experience with “gaming parents” is, that most of them lied about their online times (meaning they played a lot more than they admitted) and did not spend nearly as much time with their families as they should imo. But who am I to judge.
Since I don’t even have kids yet but still feel like not really having the time to craft a legendary, I can’t imagine parents with full time jobs having any more time. But again – I’m neither entitled to judge them, nor do I know their whole story. Maybe I’m just doing something wrong ^^

Overall I understand the concept of legendary gear being.. legendary.
But as I said before I would really like to get the opportunity of crafting some kind of “lower tier legendary”

An entire legendary can be completed within 60 hours if you have the gold for everything and/or completed the time-gated crafting. However, the OP is complaining about the collection aspect. I suggest crafting them first before making judgements on how long it’ll take. Soon I’ll be crafting everything for the 10th HoT legendary so I believe I know what it takes to make them as I have personally done it.

Hyrai.8720

An entire legendary can be completed within 60 hours if you have the gold for everything and/or completed the time-gated crafting.

That’s exactly what I was talking about.
Not the time-gated crafting (since the crafting itself takes probably just a few minutes – the 24hrs of waiting shouldn’t be taken into account) but the gold farming for e.g.
If you spend lets say 300hrs (just a random number for now) in farming gold to buy a bunch of stuff for the legendary, I do count those 300hrs as invested in the legendary.
So overall it didn’t take you 60hrs, but 360.

exaggeration incoming!
By your logic I can “complete” an entire legendary within 2min
1. buy xxx €/$/£/… worth of gems
2. exchange gems for gold
3. buy legendary from TP

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

An entire legendary can be completed within 60 hours if you have the gold for everything and/or completed the time-gated crafting.

Every single legendary can be crafted within 10 minutes if you have prepared all the required materials before. So it literally takes no time at all!

Following same logic – this new car I bought, I just had some money in my bank account, so it was completely free!

Ayrilana.1396

Not the time-gated crafting (since the crafting itself takes probably just a few minutes – the 24hrs of waiting shouldn’t be taken into account) but the gold farming for e.g.
If you spend lets say 300hrs (just a random number for now) in farming gold to buy a bunch of stuff for the legendary, I do count those 300hrs as invested in the legendary.

exaggeration incoming!
3. buy legendary from TP

Read the OP’s posts as you’re taking my post out of context. They’re talking about the collections being so time consuming.

Ayrilana.1396

Every single legendary can be crafted within 10 minutes if you have prepared all the required materials before. So it literally takes no time at all!

Following same logic – this new car I bought, I just had some money in my bank account, so it was completely free!

Read the OP’s posts so that you understand what my post was about. You’re taking what I said out of context. Thanks.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Hardest parts of building my first (and only, so far) HoT legendary:

• Timing participation for some bosses, night phases, etc. Getting that Vinetooth kill was a kitten.
  • Crystalline Ingot. Far too obscene in cost and grind to get 250. Going to Dragon Stand and getting 30-40 ore hurt enough, and add on the Amalgamated Gemstones as a deliberate Jewelcrafting material sink, and it’s stupidly expensive. 100 Ingots would have been reasonable.

Other than that, I made enough in casual play to buy the time-gated materials over time. Took a few months to put Astralaria together, but I’m okay with that. And it’s going to look great on my Mirage.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Have built HOPE and am working on the shinning blade. I enjoy the journey in HOPE more than the the time sync involved in the new legendaries. We have traded the time it takes for the journey into a mat collection. I can see a benefit in the mass mat removal for the economy and legenadaries shouldn’t be built in a day but to give you a sense of materials in the new ones:

HOPE
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/72713-HOPE

The Shinning Blade
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/81957-The-Shining-Blade

All said, still happy with HOPE and felt like completing it was an accomplishment so it was worth the time. Hope that when you get done you feel the same. Good gaming to you!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah, timing was annoying for some. There were a few that I had trouble with such as the end of the Arah chain. I had to sit there for it’s entire cool down, after a few failed attempts of checking on it, since I didn’t know it was last killed and it dies so quickly.

Hyrai.8720

Read the OP’s posts so that you understand what my post was about. You’re taking what I said out of context. Thanks.

Okay, then let’s go back to the time consuming collection’s.

You say, they can be completed in 60hrs.
Also you said, you completed four of them in one weekend.
So even if completing four collections at once takes the same amount of time as completing only one (which I highly doubt, even if there are some overlaps), that means for you one weekend = 60hrs of gameplay?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m absolutely not judging you for that. I’m just saying maybe you’re not really the same type of player as the OP, so telling us how many legendaries you already crafted doesn’t change the fact that players who are actually comparable to the OP might need several hundred h of gameplay within >1year.

Another thesis by me:
you are the one exaggerating ^^

but since I haven’t crafted a legendary myself yet, I’m gonna show myself the way out now.

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Whew… ehhh… guess I will shelve my progress for now and hope they one day allow us to earn some of the necessary components from WvW or sPvP. Might be time to consider outsourcing to my nephew.

The newer legendaries do lend themselves more for mat collection in WvW/PvP if you factor in the lotto of opening the secondary bags on alts at the level of mats you need. But still takes a chunk of time.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Ayrilana.1396

Okay, then let’s go back to the time consuming collection’s.

You say, they can be completed in 60hrs.
Also you said, you completed four of them in one weekend.
So even if completing four collections at once takes the same amount of time as completing only one (which I highly doubt, even if there are some overlaps), that means for you one weekend = 60hrs of gameplay?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m absolutely not judging you for that. I’m just saying maybe you’re not really the same type of player as the OP, so telling us how many legendaries you already crafted doesn’t change the fact that players who are actually comparable to the OP might need several hundred h of gameplay within >1year.

Another thesis by me:
you are the one exaggerating ^^

but since I haven’t crafted a legendary myself yet, I’m gonna show myself the way out now.

I’m not exaggerating. I compiled the tasks for all four collections into a spreadsheet and then organized them in such a way that I wouldn’t be hopping back and forth between maps. I also bolded those that were on a timer, such as world bosses, and kept those from fractals together. I also had them grouped by phase as some collection items can’t be done until you completed something else in that collection.

It was all about being efficient as there’s a bit of overlap between them and hopping back and forth maps wastes time. It helps to craft one as then you’ll understand how many of them take no time at all. For example, the gift for Nevermore with the raven has a ton to do but they’re incredible quick as you just go place to place and interact with a raven.

Posted by: Cirian.8917

Cirian.8917

Those 26,000-27,000 Mithril and Elder Wood sinks, haha wow.

Well I’m working on The Shining Blade and a second Frenzy so it’s interesting to compare the crafting experiences. Trading for some of the bulk mats has always been a must.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

If I did an hour a day, every day and didn’t miss a day… I am guessing it would be 2019 before I got it. Seems strange the new legendaries have the money sink of the old ones (around 3k to craft) and a massive time sink. I can buy an older legendary for a what a new one costs to craft right out of the TP and not spend months cobbling together the parts.

Seems very excessive for one item that not every character can use. I cannot imagine what completionists do.

The HoT Legendaries are definitely excessive. I’m making Chuka & Champawat and I wish I had researched it in-depth before I started. I am at the end and need 250 Amalgamated gemstones and I already spent so much $ it just makes me sick. So if I didn’t want to spend all the $, I really should have been getting 250 HoT meta chests this whole time only I didn’t realize it.

I completely agree with the OP: I don’t understand why the HoT Legendaries cost more $ than the core Legendaries AND so much time on top of that. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

How much time would you like to spend in order to get a legendary? What does end game legendary reward entail for you?

FogLeg.9354

Read the OP’s posts as you’re taking my post out of context. They’re talking about the collections being so time consuming.

I would suggest you do the same.

OP is complaining about the time it takes to craft HoT legendaries, while you insist it takes no time at all once you already have gathered everything required to create one.

The actual time to get one of the HoT legendaries would involve maxing all the HoT masteries first, finishing all the HoT maps, getting tons of materials from each maps etcetc. Just because you had done all this before does not make the grind disappear for those who have not done any of these, and have no intention to do any of these for any other reason, just to finish off legendary. It is still all part of the process.

You claim it is very easy once all the difficult parts are done, and I agree, yet the problem is doing all those difficult and time consuming parts. Which you repeatedly want to avoid noticing.

Ayrilana.1396

I would suggest you do the same.

OP is complaining about the time it takes to craft HoT legendaries, while you insist it takes no time at all once you already have gathered everything required to create one.

The actual time to get one of the HoT legendaries would involve maxing all the HoT masteries first, finishing all the HoT maps, getting tons of materials from each maps etcetc. Just because you had done all this before does not make the grind disappear for those who have not done any of these, and have no intention to do any of these for any other reason, just to finish off legendary. It is still all part of the process.

You claim it is very easy once all the difficult parts are done, and I agree, yet the problem is doing all those difficult and time consuming parts. Which you repeatedly want to avoid noticing.

Read their post again. They’re talking about collections with HOPE being the one they’re specifically speaking about.

You’re not understanding the context behind my post and changing what I said to include more than what was intended.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Hope is the only other pistol and it’s extremely stupid to make really. You have to go through soooooo many hoops! Seriously we need better methods of making them and we need more pistols please!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

FogLeg.9354

Read their post again. They’re talking about collections with HOPE being the one they’re specifically speaking about.

You’re not understanding the context behind my post and changing what I said to include more than what was intended.

We can keep arguing about the context as long as you want, and point each other for not understanding the purpose of this thead

I will provide you with the context, once again.

1 – The thread is called “Crafting the newer Legendaries”.

2 – The very first line in the thread is:

Is it just me or is the time sync to build one of these obscene? I don’t expect it to be easy but for us family folk dumping a few hundred hours for one item is a big ask.

Clearly the OP is talking about HoT legendaries, and how much time it takes to get one. NOT specifically just the collection aspect.

3 – Which you replied:

I did all of them over the course of a few days. They’re not that much of a time sink that you’re making them out to be.

Again, clearly you were also talking about HoT legendaries, and claiming you did ALL of them within few days.

4 – And again:

No, you are still talking abotu creating each HoT legendary under 60 hours. Which is totally untrue even when we discard the cost of gold and time-gated materials.

For whatever reason you still do not want to admit that creating HoT legendary takes long time, unless you have spent last 2 years farming the HoT maps every day. All this time you spent is still counting as required to craft legendary, just because you had done so much before deciding to craft legendary does not make it disappear.

Instead of starting to accuse others again for not understanding the purpose of this thread, answer this, but honestly – how long would it take for fresh level 80 player, without gold and any materials entering HoT zone very first time, to fully craft legendary. We assume the person has a life outside the game, so 2-3 hours per day, is not part of huge guild that does regular raids/fractals/bosses, and has never been in WvW.

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

I’ve crafted a few legendaries over the years, and my issue with the newer ones isn’t the time needed, or their cost, but rather the method of aquisition.

I crafted The Shining Blade a month ago, it took under 3 hours and the only thing that felt legendary aside from the wood and mithril cost, was the amount of time I spent at a crafting station in Lions Arch.

Chuka and Champawat has been the only one I enjoyed the “Legendary Journey” of.

Ayrilana.1396

~snip~

What you’re doing here is cherry picking various parts of their posts to fit your narrative. This will be the last time that I address you. I know full well what I was referring to with my post and this will have been the third time that I have told you but yet you continue to ignore that. For whatever reason you think that you know better what I was talking about. From this point on, I’m going to consider you to be just trolling.

I’ll break down their posts for you that led to my post and this will be the end of my discussion in that regard other than the actual subject that the OP brought up.

I just started into Hope Tier 3 and looks like I have a few hundred hours to go. I am not a very efficient player in PvE which is probably contributing to the slog but looks like I could easily grind through 500 hours of game play much of which I have already done countless times before.

In this post, you see the OP start off my talking about the time to craft legendary weapons. It can go either way at this point. The very next paragraph goes into what their actual issue is: collections. The complain about how much of a time grind the HOPE T3 collection is for them.

You then have their next post:

Take note of the post that the OP was responding to. It was about the collection. Imagine that….

If you read further into that post, the OP does bring up the monetary cost. Notice also that they distinguish between the monetary cost (money sink) and the collections (time sink). They’re treating the two as two separate things and not one of the same. They also referred to the new legendaries specifically when both have a money grind.

This is what my post was referring to which I have repeatedly tried to get across to you as well as tell you what the OP’s complaint was about. Still, you insist I’m saying something differently whether intentionally or unintentionally. I don’t know.

If you want to continue the discussion about how much of a time sink the collections are, the original subject, then by all means do as I’m up for it. What I will not do is continue to feed someone more posts who appears to only want to troll.

Hyrai.8720

You are saying something different. Even though I’m sure you do unintentionally.

An entire legendary can be completed within 60 hours if you have the gold for everything and/or completed the time-gated crafting. However, the OP is complaining about the collection aspect. I suggest crafting them first before making judgements on how long it’ll take. Soon I’ll be crafting everything for the 10th HoT legendary so I believe I know what it takes to make them as I have personally done it.

In this post, you’re talking about “completing an entire legendary within 60hrs”. Everything after that either doesn’t make sense or has nothing to do with the topic.
If I have to hoard tons of gold and mats, and then need 60hrs in addition to complete the rest, I did not finish the entire legendary within 60hrs.
I hope you understand that. If not, arguing with you won’t bring us any further.

Also, you’re talking about completing an entire legendary, while demanding everyone else to stay with just the collections. See the problem?

I hope we can really get back to just the collections now.
As I said before:
A casual gamer that plays <8h a week will definitely need several weeks, if not months, to finish the T3 collection. Especially if he doesn’t want to dedicate all of his time to just the collection, but also do some other stuff.

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

We can keep arguing about the context as long as you want, and point each other for not understanding the purpose of this thead

I will provide you with the context, once again.

1 – The thread is called “Crafting the newer Legendaries”.

2 – The very first line in the thread is:

Clearly the OP is talking about HoT legendaries, and how much time it takes to get one. NOT specifically just the collection aspect.

I don’t expect it to be easy but for us family folk dumping a few hundred hours for one item is a big ask.

I just started into Hope Tier 3 and looks like I have a few hundred hours to go.

Clearly he is talking about Tier 3.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Sojourner.4621

Sojourner.4621

exaggeration incoming!
3. buy legendary from TP

I make about a hundred gold a week or more with only about an hour of time invested per week… people do over-inflate the difficulty of obtaining gold in this game, but it’s simply a matter of learning the most efficient ways to make gold. Most people with a lot of gold will tell you, making more is not the time sync you think it is.

Edit: as to the collections, yes they are a time investment. The best recommendation I can make is to get with a good guild. There are plenty of guilds out there who will help you with the collection achievements so that it is not so much of a time investment, as finding proper metas and good fractal runs, etc. can be as much a time investment as actually getting the item itself once you find it. The right guild will cut the time it takes you to complete the collection by months.

(edited by Sojourner.4621)

Ayrilana.1396

You are saying something different. Even though I’m sure you do unintentionally.

In this post, you’re talking about “completing an entire legendary within 60hrs”. Everything after that either doesn’t make sense or has nothing to do with the topic.
If I have to hoard tons of gold and mats, and then need 60hrs in addition to complete the rest, I did not finish the entire legendary within 60hrs.
I hope you understand that. If not, arguing with you won’t bring us any further.

Also, you’re talking about completing an entire legendary, while demanding everyone else to stay with just the collections. See the problem?

I hope we can really get back to just the collections now.
As I said before:
A casual gamer that plays <8h a week will definitely need several weeks, if not months, to finish the T3 collection. Especially if he doesn’t want to dedicate all of his time to just the collection, but also do some other stuff.

No I am not. I am talking about the collection.

Read the post that I was responding to. That’s right, it was yours. You brought up the entire legendary thing, not me.

The entire complaint was how it takes so long to do the collections when I stated it took only a few days when I did all four or them at once.

Everything else you just dismissed has everything to do with the topic as it is what the topic is actually about. It’s funny that you say that and then end your post about getting back to just the collections. So clearly you’ve understood the topic the entire time so I don’t see what you’re trying to accomplish here.

FogLeg.9354

If you want to continue the discussion about how much of a time sink the collections are, the original subject, then by all means do as I’m up for it. What I will not do is continue to feed someone more posts who appears to only want to troll.

…and you are already calling everyone not agreeing with your view “a troll”. Well done, really managed to get your point through

Ayrilana.1396

…and you are already calling everyone not agreeing with your view “a troll”. Well done, really managed to get your point through

The troll part is in reference to thinking one knows what my post was referring to over me and despite me correcting them multiple times.

I stated multiple times to you that I was referring to collections which was what the OP was talking about. You insist that you know better than me on what I wrote. I corrected you several times and you still insist that you know better. This is what the “trolling” comment is referencing.

Hyrai.8720

Alright, I was mistaken (unintentionally of course) and thought you were talking about finishing a whole legendary within 60 hrs.
And instead of clearly stating my mistake in the first place, you started talking about some random stuff how it is possible to finish a whole legendary in 60 hrs and how superior you are to us, which led to this scattered discussion.

The fact that you keep referring to basically every post doesn’t make it easier to follow your chain of thought or what post you’re actually referring to.
I don’t know about your first language, but maybe telling you that english is not mine will help you comprehent that.

but how about we just forget all this BS and get back to collection’s?:
I’m 100% sure nice friends and a good guild can accelerate the progress with collections significantly.
However, an average player who doesn’t have any experience in legendary journeys still won’t be able to finish said collections within a month. Even two months I highly doubt.
Also you have to remember:
Playing 10 hours straight will always be a lot more efficient than playing 5×2h.

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Ayrilana.1396

Alright, I was mistaken (unintentionally of course) and thought you were talking about finishing a whole legendary within 60 hrs.
And instead of clearly stating my mistake in the first place, you started talking about some random stuff how it is possible to finish a whole legendary in 60 hrs and how superior you are to us, which led to this scattered discussion.

The fact that you keep referring to basically every post doesn’t make it easier to follow your chain of thought or what post you’re actually referring to.
I don’t know about your first language, but maybe telling you that english is not mine will help you comprehent that.

but how about we just forget all this BS and get back to collection’s?:
I’m 100% sure nice friends and a good guild can accelerate the progress with collections significantly.
However, an average player who doesn’t have any experience in legendary journeys still won’t be able to finish said collections within a month. Even two months I highly doubt.
Also you have to remember:
Playing 10 hours straight will always be a lot more efficient than playing 5×2h.

I’ve quoted every post that I was referring to with the exception of the very first post of mine which was the fourth post in the thread after the OP’s, the post from somebody about the collection, and the OP’s response.

I did clearly state the mistake. It’s in the other part of the post that you dismissed earlier.

Posted by: Osby.5390

Osby.5390

I agree with you OP the new legendary’s are a legendary pain in the butt to make and leave a huge hole in your gold pocket. Ive got 6 legendarys now and 3 of them are HOT ones I wont be making another HOT one due to the time, effort and cost of them.

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Have built HOPE and am working on the shinning blade. I enjoy the journey in HOPE more than the the time sync involved in the new legendaries. We have traded the time it takes for the journey into a mat collection. I can see a benefit in the mass mat removal for the economy and legenadaries shouldn’t be built in a day but to give you a sense of materials in the new ones:

HOPE
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/72713-HOPE

The Shinning Blade
https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator/81957-The-Shining-Blade

All said, still happy with HOPE and felt like completing it was an accomplishment so it was worth the time. Hope that when you get done you feel the same. Good gaming to you!

I am currently ready to craft The Shining Blade but I have purposefully stayed away from the early HoT legendaries which required a collection. I primarily play PvP and WvW, so the collection part isn’t something I would enjoy, especially if some collections would send me to dungeons or fractals. I will say, though, that the later HoT legendaries still have pretty extensive requirements and will generally not be built in a day. I had to finish up the HoT masteries, grind a lot of HoT currencies, and even go back into central Tyria and finish up some masteries, and all of this took many, many hours. On top of, of course, the 3k gold for all the mats. I’m not de-valuing your experience, just pointing out that it seems both pre- and post-collection HoT legendary crafting methods can appeal to different players.

To the OP: I agree it sucks to sink a bunch of money into a legendary only later to discover that it would cost much more time and money than you originally thought. I have done this several times not with money but with time. I started on the legendary PvP backpack and a few legendary weapons only to later decide that I didn’t want to put in the time commitment to finish them. I would encourage you to evaluate your need for a legendary. It really is all about the skin. The selectable stats are nice, but you’ll save way more money and time just making a few ascended weapons with the stats you want. The aesthetics are nice too, but there are plenty of other very cool weapon skins that legendary owners probably don’t even get to use because then they couldn’t display their legendary at the same time. I don’t own a single legendary weapon yet (though I’ve crafted a couple pre-HoT ones and sold on TP). I am getting ready to craft one HoT and one vanilla legendary now, but only because I found that I was relatively close to having everything I needed (or the gold to get it). If I looked at the requirements and found I would have to play content I didn’t enjoy for 6 months straight, I would never own a legendary.
TLDR: If the journey isn’t enjoyable, I would recommend not going for a legendary

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There seems to be a major disconnect here.

Some of the frustration is reasonable: legendaries are designed to be major time & material sinks and gen 2 legends were intended to be comparable to gen1 built through collections.

Some of the frustration is perception: those who have finished legendaries have learned from mistakes and can be a lot more efficient about making progress; to them, it’s just not as hard as critics suggest.

And alas, some of the frustration comes from unrealistic expectations. In effect a few people are saying, “sure sure, legendaries are supposed to take a while; I just don’t think they should take so long for me.” While people can feel however they feel, it’s unreasonable to think that the level of effort is going to fit into everyone’s gaming schedule — regardless of the minimum requires, some people aren’t going to feel they have the time. And, unfortunately, ‘you’ might be one of those people.

The short story is: it’s a game; it’s supposed to be fun. If you’re doing something in the game that’s giving you hives, try dropping that and do something else.

PS there are a large number of items with legendary-lite effects in game. Some people like some of these more than their legendary counterparts. Notably: Infinite Light versus Bolt & The Anomaly versus The Minstrel.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Ayrilana.1396

Here’s what I made to do mine. It’s missing a lot of the formatting and there’s some last minute changes I did before printing that don’t appear to have been saved in this version.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JSAWVZmuseIFVgvMIDCzDKQ5r_8VGZqsYx2x5dKupbs/edit?usp=sharing

Essentially all I did was copy/paste from the wiki and formatted/moved things so I had an organized checklist.

All NPC purchases and recipes I did first. I then went from map to map followed by fractals. I deviated a bit with the tier 4 collections as I determined it was quicker to do the first part of the collections first. I must have done the tiger one separately as it wasn’t on my spreadsheet. That one is fairly quick although having to do the event every time you need to talk to the NPC was annoying.

As long as you have a game plan for the collections, they’re not all that time-consuming.

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Well I have a full time job a wife 2 kids and a homeowner. I play around 2 hrs a day except on my 2 days off when I play 4 to 6 hrs while everyone is asleep. I manage to get full raid clears and enough gold playing the bltp. I have 21 legendary weapon 2 full sets of armor 2 backpieces and going to get the trinket soon. I’ve been playing since launch. It takes me 3 months most to acquire 1 and that is if I don’t do the trading post. Maximize your time. Do hot daily meta to get that almagamated stone. Do fractal 40 till you puke. Raid raid raid. All while playing the tp. And you too can be legendary like me.

And when comes the part where you have fun?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And when comes the part where you have fun?

Maybe everything they posted was fun for them. Fun is subjective after all.

FogLeg.9354

Isn’t that part of the problem with these legendaries? In the end, every player MUST do exactly same things, does not matter if these are the things they enjoy doing or not.

If you can buy it from TP, then you could still play the game doing whatever you like, gathering up gold. Sure, it is pricey, and takes time, but you spend the time doing what you like.

(edited by FogLeg.9354)

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

This is the unique part come gw2 where most is easily accessible if you have the coin, which in return may not give that epic feel. Having made both the new staff and shortbow, both over the course of 7-8 days with 5 6 hours focus daily, i can tell you that the journey makes the items more prestigious. But i do agree that for the more familyman with restrictions it could take a month at best with 2 3 hrs a day or less, it all comes down to how you spend the time and go for tasks first that may be accessible on the lfg tool, like dragon stand event.

Gw2 is one of the most casual friendly mmos as it has content for all, and even if ur gone for years ascended will still be best, as with lvl 80.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Once I got past the Fractal requirements (which ended up being not so bad as I just did the ones I needed when they popped up as dailies) the only collection I truly hated was the second one. The fourth one looks incredibly overwhelming, but many steps are no more involved than waypointing, running to a POI, and interacting with a thing. I did the entire collection in about 5 hours total, using map timers and the GW2 wiki to clarify what each objective actually entailed.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Regarding HoT legendaries, personally by far the most tedious and time consuming thing is the gift of maguuma mastery.

Especially for a player who is new to HoT – completing all the maps and masteries and getting all that crystalline ore takes ages. Sure for a second HoT legendary I guess its easier due to not having to complete masteries again.

Precursor collection is much easier tbh – nowhere near as time consuming aside from time gates (ie charged quartz) and some of it you can just throw gold at (tier II). Yes there’s a lot of things to do but I’m finding it easier and more fun than the maguuma mastery stuff.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Isn’t that part of the problem with these legendaries? In the end, every player MUST do exactly same things, does not matter if these are the things they enjoy doing or not.

If you can buy it from TP, then you could still play the game doing whatever you like, gathering up gold. Sure, it is pricey, and takes time, but you spend the time doing what you like.

It’s not a problem that is fixable. Someone will find the means to acquire something with regards to the legendary as not fun. Or they’ll find some other fault with the means of acquisition.