Curious why more people don't PvP or WvW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

Personally I don’t PvP because I don’t enjoy it, I don’t find it fun.
I admit I am not very good, but that should not cause someone to get salty.
Things tend to much to personal.
I also don’t have many friends that PvP.
WvW, I enjoy, mainly because it is not a time gated instance and I can play with as many of my friends as I can, which increases my fun factor.
I have also found WvW to be much more engaging.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Wow. Obscene joy. Chest-thumping sore winner. You’re reading an awful lot into his post, aren’t you?

I guess that toxicity is expected (and seen) in every WvW/PvP experience.

Not reading into anything that isn’t there, clear as day…

Oh I am pretty sure they cause anxiety as well. It was daily camp the other day and I killed this guy taking a camp easy. Like killing a level 40 upscale or something.

After he whispered a lenghty line involving about 10 different kittens and how I ruined his daily.

Stuff like that makes WvW worth playing.

Stuff like that makes WvW worth playing.

If you think killing a “level 40 upscale” is something worth bragging about…

He probably just likes drinking wine.

Only the very best is good enough. It doesnt hurt when they send a mail with a cheese wedge to go along with it (yes, that has happened).

But I do find it amusing that astral entirely missed the point. That’s what makes the forums worth coming back to.

Toxicity is not ‘expected (and seen) in every WvW/PvP experience.’ Just the blatantly obvious ones.

But hey… easier to just turn it around and say the ones who hate all that kind of toxic garbage are the ones being toxic… Yup.

Edit: Enough on this… As you said yourself, we are in danger of derailing this thread.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

(edited by ShinjoNaomi.1896)

Posted by: Ragnar Stormcaller.6253

Ragnar Stormcaller.6253

Personally, I’ve played online games for about 15 yrs, and ultimately been disappointed in every PvP experience I’ve ever had. I just get no joy out of it, winning or losing. I believe PvP brings out the worst in people, and there seem to be as many bad winners as bad losers out there. I just don’t need the drama.

I think a lot of new players don’t try PvP in this game because they don’t need to. One look at the forums tells you everything you need to know about the PvP / WvW playerbase.

Woe betide any new player to ask in the professions forum about builds for open world cause they are struggling with the game mechanics (which are never explained anywhere). They are instantly shot down and told to kitten off as every Uber ZOMG PvPer knows that ANY build will work for EVERYTHING in open world ( despite the fact that it doesn’t if you only picked up the game a few weeks ago ) It’s disgusting the way they are treated. Those self righteous types are something I try to avoid, and as such I will never PvP in this game. I did WvW back in the early days but I haven’t in years and I have no intention of doing it in the future. The fact the Megaserver move dumped me in the least populated EU world probably has a lot to blame for that. There’s not much point of WvW when you can’t win anything, ever, because of a choice that was made for you, unless you are willing to pay to unmake that choice. No Thanks, I’d rather spend my gems on some nice skins or utility items than on an under-developed and rather minor part of the overall game.

My personal playstyle, I play the game solo. I’m not in a guild, never have been, and I’m not interested in joining one. I like the gameplay, I like the choice of nine professions, five races and infinite builds, I like exploring and finding things even now that I hadn’t spotted before in the last 4 years. I also love how great the game looks, the maps and landscapes are a joy to be in. To me thats fun. I also like a bit of co-operative play. Any time I spot a downed player in the minimap I speed over to lend a hand. the TY – NP is as much interaction as I want with other players.
Sure, that means I miss out on a lot of content, I’ve never done a dungeon and I’ll never do Fractals or raids as the PvE community there is just as toxic as the PvP/WvW. As a result I guess I’ll never have legendaries / ascended armour. But that is my choice, and I’m happy with it. To me the fun is in the journey, not the destination. Once a character is leveled and map complete I ususally delete and start a new one.

Before anyone replies with OMG – why don’t you kitten off and play a single player game? dont you know this is an MMORPG? – Yes, I know that, and be assured, the day they release a single player RPG with the depth of content and constant updates you get in a game like this, I will buy it and never set foot online again. Until then, I’ll be here, playing the game the way I wan’t to play it.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Threads like this always make me wonder why more people don’t like classical ballet, opera and free jazz.

Because I enjoy belly dancing, animations, and acid jazz instead?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The fact it “made his day” to know he attacked someone just doing the daily just showed the toxic attitude he had. If he had said “Oh I didn’t realize you were only doing the daily” would be one thing but he took pride in the fact he was able to be toxic.

Ever heard of sportsmanship? It was a thing before Trash Talk took over sporting events and now its taking over games. My coach always said “Act like you are not surprised you scored a Touchdown”.

He never said it “made his day” those are your words, the only reason he knew the guy was going for a daily was because “he whispered a lenghty line involving about 10 different kittens and how I ruined his daily.” That’s an actual quote.

So what did Dawdler do then? Did he report the guy? No, he kinda laughed it off, “Stuff like that makes WvW worth playing.” Another actual quote from the guy.

I wonder if Dawdler had said “I was hurt and horrified by the abusive whisper and haven’t been back to WvW since!” would you feel the same way? I bet you wouldn’t but he didn’t say that so now he’s the bad one.

Hahaha… I find it amazing so many people got hung up on that post lol.

For reference, no I didnt know he was doing his daily. Nor would I care. It was an enemy on our HBL trying to take back his border camp (we didnt own it either, it was the third side). Had just ran from garri with the express purpose of capping it. An enemy ele there was just a minor roadblock that incidently died in about 2 seconds and made me chuckle a bit. Then he whispered me a long line of curses. I laughed a fair bit more. In retrospect, it really was the high point on an otherwise dull evening.

At first I tried to whisper back to point out that he get the capture anyway, assuming he had tagged anything (he was smack in the middle of the camp surrounded by guards). Failed because he’s “offline” due to still blocking me like any good whisperer, of course. A minute later he whispered a further kitten off out of the blue, apparently the first dozen wasnt enough. I reported and blocked him. So you didnt guess quite right on that part.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The point isn’t that you killed someone in WvW. That is expected behaviour, after all. It’s the fact that you decided to gloat about it on forums in thread about reasons why people don’t like WvW/PvP.
Personally, i didn’t see anything in this scene to be proud of enough to share with others. That you did, tells me something about you.

And honestly, it underscored really nicely what other people were talking about in this thread.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

HoT and other updates killed build diversity.

• If I want to be competitive in pvp, I have to play the same (or 95% the same) build as everyone else.
  • The top tier wvw roaming builds are too good at what they do compared to “normal” builds.
  • There are too many passive traits that do too much now: cc-cancel traits (eg. Hunter’s Determination, Last Stand), Adrenal Health, to name a few.

In general, I used to like the pvp, because it was fast-paced act-react style combat. Now it just seems to be: spam all the things, rotate through all the defenses, repeat.

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

As a 4-year PvP veteran who quit, it’s simply not fun to play anymore. PvP hasn’t had any serious support with the exception of e-sports, which I honestly feel it’s not worth it. PvP is also plagued by terrible balance since HoT, lack of team queue and PvP modes.

I still play WvW though. WvW is slightly more fun to play but again, WvW hasn’t had any serious support since the beginning. Only recently, after 3 years, it’s getting some slight attention. However, fixes in general are pretty much hit-or-miss. WvW, as PvP, is also plagued with terrible balance plus inherent population problems.

In general, lack of profession balance and elite specialization powercreep and spam from HoT are the main problems in both.

(edited by JTGuevara.9018)

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I don’t participate much in PvP/WvW for a number of reasons.

First, PvP lacks variety in this game. In WoW, I enjoyed PvP because there were many different game modes.

Second, I see what you mean about PvE being static, but honestly when you PvP enough the fights feel pretty static as well most of the time. You’ve pretty much seen it all and know what to expect after awhile. One could argue that group PvE is much the same way. While the bosses don’t change, your group composition and the choices each player make can change the encounter. I don’t see that much of a difference here.

WvW is just a PvP game mode that I’ve never enjoyed. Roaming is okay, but feels rather pointless. Running with the zerg just isn’t much fun to me.

Finally, I think GW2 does PvE particularly well. Especially open world content. It’s hard to pull myself away sometimes.

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

personally…. I find it boring and un-diverse… WVW is nothing but change to the latest meta build and run in packs… PVP is nothing but change to the latest meta build and run in smaller packs… tweaks? yup, change to the new meta and rinse repeat… Don’t like raids either…. play meta build or be excluded… run in slightly larger pack…

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I don’t really enjoy PvP. I don’t enjoy the thing I turn into when stressed by other players, particularly when it comes from my own team. So I avoid it. Better for all involved.

WvW I hop in to every now and again.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I do some WvW once in a while. sometimes roam solo exploring, and sometims zerging to get an armor skin, that’s basically it.
but killing other player’s characters is not my cup of tea…

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Just not my thing. Glad it’s there for others, but sometimes you can tell something’s not for you just by looking.

Rauderi.8706

Hopped into EotM yesterday. Made a little progress toward the Forced Engagement Compensation Track (aka Gift of Battle Reward Track), but not nearly enough to justify the hour+ I spent on it.

• Loot is minimal for a comparable amount of time.
  • Following the zerg is a bore. If you’re not up at the front, you don’t get credit for captures. Better bring your warhorn.
  • I wish I had known I needed to be level 20 for the Provision track, so I can auto-loot like a normal plebe. -_-

It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t fun, either. But..

• Thanks to the commander who tagged up and lead a group of barely-talkative zerglings.
  • Army engagements were.. eh. The AoE deadzone is an utter bore, but I’m inspired to go in with a staff/wells necro just to chop into the enemy zerg again.
  • Getting hammered from behind wasn’t as frustrating as it should have been. Kind of a /shrug, oops, and then I laughed a little. If you get smeared by a zerg that large, you deserved it. :P

Nothing in that makes me want to go to WvW, but I suppose I can endure EotM enough to finish that track. …4 times. ;_;

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

WvW has been and will be dead for a looooooooong time until the devs decide to actually take some initiative and redesign how worlds work and what they actually want it to be useful for.

If I read the post from Stephen Clarke-Willson (11 mothns ago, it’s now 1st Feb 2017) correctly, they’ve redesigned the whole of WvW, but gave up implementing it after a few small patches:

SCWPhD

We got into a pattern where we wanted the WvW update to be super awesome, a “2.0” version, and it kept growing in size and complexity, which took longer, and fans were waiting, and so we wanted it to be more awesome, and rinse, repeat… As Mo said, we need to clear out the log jam, so we’re going to focus on ship-able pieces, even if that means we do some rework later. And we’ll get each piece onto the Live servers as soon as possible.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i play a game to release some steam, PvP only adds steam.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Profession design/balance. The game should be renamed to Build Wars 2 because it neither has anything to do with guilds warring in the broader scope of things, and winning fights in the context of competitive PvP and WvW is pretty much entirely build-dependent.

It’s just not fun to fight other players when so many broken mechanics exist that remove so much of the skilled-play elements from the game, and so many blatantly overpowered/underpowered designs have stayed so long without attention which negate the potential for tremendous diversity game-wide.

As someone who plays games in general pretty much entirely for the PvP, GW2 just doesn’t do it because the profession designers have downright failed [me].

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

WvW has been and will be dead for a looooooooong time until the devs decide to actually take some initiative and redesign how worlds work and what they actually want it to be useful for.

If I read the post from Stephen Clarke-Willson (11 mothns ago, it’s now 1st Feb 2017) correctly, they’ve redesigned the whole of WvW, but gave up implementing it after a few small patches:

SCWPhD

We got into a pattern where we wanted the WvW update to be super awesome, a “2.0” version, and it kept growing in size and complexity, which took longer, and fans were waiting, and so we wanted it to be more awesome, and rinse, repeat… As Mo said, we need to clear out the log jam, so we’re going to focus on ship-able pieces, even if that means we do some rework later. And we’ll get each piece onto the Live servers as soon as possible.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/48zlyd/im_mike_obrien_here_with_gw2_dev_team_ama/

How did you get “gave up implementing it after a few small patches” from “so we’re going to focus on ship-able pieces, even if that means we do some rework later”? I read that as not waiting until the whole thing can be dropped in all at once to shipping what’s already done while they are finishing up the rest, even if that means going back and tweaking to make the whole consistent.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

Because they don’t want to.

In every MMO I have played, the forums are always filled with these, “Why won’t people play with me???? stomps feet” type posts from the PvP crowd. The answer, as seen above, is always the same and really that’s all there is to it. No big mystery, no “problem” that can be solved…

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

WvW:
I played Realm Vs Realm in online games for many years, and it was always my favorite game mode, because it allowed you to do PvP without the fight always simply being determined by who is better. Things happen, the environment changes, other people get involved ,etc. This makes it very interesting ad not “stale” like SPvP.

Howver, RvR as implemented in GW2 is too grand. Other, smaller games tend to be more modest with their implemntation; but ArenaNet seems to think they have 39526526 players in this game mode so they have five(!) huge maps, most of which are empty even on large servers (the zerg just map hops giving the illusion of presence), and every objective is rediculously large and well-defended by upgrades and guards and require siege weapons to break, so conflict from roamers, small guilds and raiding parties is limited exclusively to camps most of the time.

I understand that they’re trying to make it feel like fighting in a huge war, but realistically RvR game modes survive on light conflict/skirmishes. A proper RvR battle is 10-15 people defending a fort against 10-15 other people, with a third side causing trouble — not a huge zerg of fifty people just coming in, blowing everything up for the capture points and then disappearing to another map for the next few hours.

Simplifying this game mode would go a long way to improving it. You don’t want it to be entirely skill-based like SPvP, but you do want it to matter alot more than it does in the current implementation where players are just fodder.

Another thing that bothers me about WvW is inconsistency. Your color keeps changing, your allies keep changing (server linking), your enemies keep changing, even your map keeps changing now with the Borderlands cycling. There’s nothing to adhere to because it’ll be gone in the next competition cycle. In this way, WvW is trying to be too much like SPvP (tournament-ish) and its hurting it.

SPvP:
This game mode seems like its trying to emulate Quake 3: Team Arena, while far from reaching the mark, mainly because it just comes off as lame.

The maps in particular are congested, yet empty, with no powerups or any notable objectives of any sort (this is part of why conquest is so boring) and it feels like they tried to make it “balanced” while also having it look like something out of a MOBA, which is just not a combination that works. If you want action, then you have to build an action game, not a weak Action-FPS-RPG-eSports-hybrid-thing.

SPvP offers absolutely nothing that WvW doesn’t besides fixed gear and a guaranteed oppertunity at fighting other players instead of roaming.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I don’t PvP. Ever. And no, I haven’t tried it simply because I don’t want to. I come here for PvE only as that doesn’t make me feel like I’m in some competition – and that does not relax me.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Dawnbreaker.6215

Dawnbreaker.6215

I don’t PvP, because if I do want to PvP I download a proper PvP game like any FPS or MOBA out there. This is a MMORPG, it’s for PvE, it’s the core of the game and PvP is more like class training for raids and difficult content.

Rauderi.8706

Because they don’t want to.

In every MMO I have played, the forums are always filled with these, “Why won’t people play with me???? stomps feet” type posts from the PvP crowd. The answer, as seen above, is always the same and really that’s all there is to it. No big mystery, no “problem” that can be solved…

And then when people do come play with them… “Why won’t these scrubs l2p??? stomps feet” So.. yup.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Hi all

I’m a regular, current PVX player who has played whole game, but have basically quit sPVP, and I’m currently WVW focused and have been for a long time. I find this topic to be related enough for me to chime in a bit and add to what I see here posted by many people.

1st off, I have played MMORPGs pretty much for as long as they have existed, since Ultima Online, then EQ, then AO, DAOC, WOW, Eve Online and a slew of others that have come out after those. As such I have acquired quite a perspective on all these subjects brought up here, and believe me, they are not exclusive to this game or these 2 modes and I agree with quite a lot.

So what do I agree with overall ?

WVW has a lot of pitfalls, it used to be extremely popular but the playerbase has fallen off due to reasons stated above in other posts, I would like to elaborate a bit.

On toxicity: Currently the most toxic game environment here, as bad as it can get in sPVP or WVW is not in either of those, but in raids. Hands down, the other game modes, as bad as they can sometimes get, do not even approach the toxicity levels found there.

2nd, this is an MMORPG. Throughout history of online gaming and which holds true here, the thing that eliminates that is joining a community. This is the whole point of even having MMORPGs. While people can certainly choose to play solo, hop-in and hop-out, etc. that is the reality of it, if you do not join a community, you will never experience the benefits of what this genre has to offer it its entirety, in any of the game modes. Yes, this includes voice coms. You will be surprised how many of those statements you see typed in chat will flip their context/meaning, if you hear it 1st hand, in fact, even winning / losing takes 2nd precedence under having fun with friends that you make. So automatically, anyone not doing that will not be able to experience the benefits of it.

Given that some people will never be into it, no matter how much help they receive, they will always struggle and this will just not be fun for them, and thats ok, you will also be surprised how many of the friends you make in WVW will also join you outside of it and how different the game feels as a whole even after you quit the game mode.

SPVP I could never get into mainly because of 2 reasons. 1st, the amulet system and all its limitations. It made the game mode extremely boring and 2nd because of the 5v5 format of it any community developed there is just a small fraction/shadow of what it needs to be. It is just too small.

The rewards on per time invested in SPVP are ok, but not great, just OK. The rewards on per time invested in WVW vs PVE are still abysmal inspite of recent improvements. This I think is the biggest deterrent for players to join communities, to play it, to have incentive to continually improve, etc. Afterall, why spend your weekend in WVW when you can get same amount of rewards doing AB map hopping for 1-2 hours ? That is literally how much disparity there is.

There is some gear grind, but it is truly minimal and you will find yourself overflowing with thousands of WVW badges, milions of karma, dungeon tokens via tracks, etc. in no time, all of which can be used to get exotic gear for nearly free to experiment with builds and find yet another fun aspect of the game. This is another thing that you just can’t do in SPVP due to the way amulet system works, and you can’t do in PVE due to “zerker or G T F O” when it comes to raiding, the few raid spots outside of that are too irregular and inflexible for that, + require addons, APIs on 3rd party sites, etc. on top. No addons required to WVW.

So given that, I think the biggest improvement should be for A-Net to equalize rewards on per time basis, so that at least spending time in WVW doesn’t become a deterrent to doing so. As far as toxicity goes, there are bad apples everywhere, but unless you join your local community sort of speak, you will never even know that they are just that, bad apples, instead of status quo like in PVE raids.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

I usually do not PvP. I don’t know, but as someone on page 1 pointed out: I am here to play WITH other classes to beat someone else. When I would get killed by someone else simply due to (this fake) balance (because I play paper and my enemies seem to be scissors) I can’t take frustration that much. I could only do this vs other thieves, simply because also in real life, I have a very strong sense of fairness going on. All the same for everyone.

When I see how imbalanced the classes in this game are depending on who is in charge of balancing and their favourites, I don’t see any fun in getting stomped by random FOTM players.

Second reason: I do play League of Legens for 6.5 years. And I have literally hours over hours debating about how bad the matchmaking is. Reading this game uses the same nonsense (80% of your personal rating is NOT in your hands, how utterly stupid is this?!) and it’s just a big guess instead of an actual matchmaking.. No thanks.

There are premade players, there are laggers, there is this atrocious class balance and class stacking, it is just a big, blurry mess of guessings. I could roll dice and have more fun than diving into a game where I know neither the company, the developers or the algorhythm work the slightest to make the upcoming game fun. It bounces you back and forth from one extreme to another because it sucks so bad. I do not need this. I can do this under the shower and turn on warm and hot back and forth if I’d enjoy this.

Too bad though: I wish I could play this game’s PvP, because a healthy PvP mode extends the game’s life by so much. But I think I could not take that I can not fight a Warrior or Necromancer just because I play “MY” profession. It feels like shooting nerf darts while the enemy gets their Desert Eagle.

Also, I have big problems playing with others since FF14. That game forced interaction with strangers onto me and it’s like waterboarding or similar torture.

I am 26 years young now, but I somehow can’t stand video game communities at all. I have yet to find people that stick to their first friendly attitude in every situation. (If Vayne reads this, take yourself out from that statement). But I have had good (virtual) friendships being ruined by a loss streak or just because I pressed one button wrong or was too slow for 0.5 seconds. Can’t take this stuff as easy as I could before. It’s probably like the real love: It happens or not. And so far, I am all alone for the 1year and 8 months I play GW2…

So, I rather steal stuff and slice throats of stuff that causes mad beef while I try to pass them.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

…snipped, too long

Even if I give you a reason why I don’t play PvP & WvW, will you believe me? I know some of the pvpers will read my reason and scream at it ending with “git gud”…..

Posted by: Korivs.7268

Korivs.7268

GW2 ’s good script has made PvE interesting than that of PvP and WvW. I enjoy a RPG game with more story content than skill.
If I have to play with skills, I would go for RTS but not MOBA. MOBA is something I found really boring.

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

I don’t pvp as much because I made the horrible decision to making my main a necro, whose really fun in fractials but not so much in pvp. My second character is a guardian whom I guess I can play pvp as, but then I’d feel like a tryhard scrub.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

I don’t like PvP, but tried WvW a few times and found it confusing. Getting started on an empty map section, hard to detect which color is yours, silence, no one chats in general, so no way to find out where your supposed team mates are… Am I missing something??

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

WvW and PvP are TWO parts of this game those need class/skill balance. But HoT Power creep, Raid and skill design destroy them. Those AoE , condi stack, block inv dodge, passive skill, off+def same time spam….. make them confusing and boring to watch/play.

(edited by xeonage.1253)

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

PvP and WvW are the parts those don’t need input a lot of resources but can get great return. You no need to do many 3D character model /dungeon design/ Map building / dub / story writing / reward….. If you make them better. You will get long game life / stable player base and a lot of time to build up the PVE. That’s why no one want to make MMORPG more and turn to make MOBA. Unfortunately, Anet don’t handle it.

Attachments:

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

SCWPhD

That’s not quite what i mean. I know they’ve taken steps to address some of the problems for fixing populations / worlds and match-up(diversity). However, even the current situation is merely a band-aid fix and it shows.

They need a real longterm solution to fix how sparse/empty WvW has become due to people simply just leaving for T1/T2 every time.

Svarty.8019

How did you get “gave up implementing it after a few small patches” from “so we’re going to focus on ship-able pieces, even if that means we do some rework later”?

The quoted post is from 11 months ago. That’s how I have come to my conclusion.

They need a real longterm solution to fix how sparse/empty WvW has become due to people simply just leaving for T1/T2 every time.

Not to seem flippant, but T1/T2 aren’t empty. I guess that’s why solutions to lower tier problems are not being sought – simply because they never have. Do you remember why EotM was created? It was because people in T1/T2 whined about queues. The players on lower servers don’t matter to the creators – regarded as even lower than regular WvW players, they are seen as the red headed stepchildren of second class citizens.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

How did you get “gave up implementing it after a few small patches” from “so we’re going to focus on ship-able pieces, even if that means we do some rework later”?

Not to seem flippant, but T1/T2 aren’t empty. I guess that’s why solutions to lower tier problems are not being sought – simply because they never have. Do you remember why EotM was created? It was because people in T1/T2 whined about queues. The players on lower servers don’t matter to the creators – regarded as even lower than regular WvW players, they are seen as the red headed stepchildren of second class citizens.

I wasn’t saying T1/T2 are empty. However the constant funneling of people into those worlds is the problem. Anet needs to do something more than bandaids to fix it. World linking is the bandaid solution to a much bigger problem for the RvR game type.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I used to like WvW…but now my server is like dead…and I don’t really want to change servers.
ALso the reward for WvW is not as good as fractals rewards for example…PVP has better rewards now.

They need to implement better rewards for WvW…have always said this since beginning…

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

I was player style “I hate pvp” before GW2. The one from Gw2 I find quite casual and funny. The pvp matches in Gw2 are light and fast, almost a minigame inside Gw2.

Posted by: Pizzarugi.7352

Pizzarugi.7352

PvP in this game is alright, it’s a bit too fast and you can die way too quickly for my liking, but overall the combat is pretty fun. The reason I don’t play PvP very much is because I question whether this game has any matchmaking.

I’m still fresh in the PvP world and I already have less than half of my matches being victorious. I don’t think this is entirely my fault since I occasionally find myself getting 3-4 top stats. I’m not trying to come off as salty or anything, but a part of me feels like I’m getting matched with less competent teammates or we’re simply being matched against teams far more coordinated than us.

I’d like to play PvP more since I consistently get track on it compared to WvW (I have absolutely no idea what to do with myself unless there’s a commander to follow and there’s not a lot of them around), but it gets pretty disheartening when I know I’m just getting into a match I’m almost certainly going to lose.

And this is unranked. I shouldn’t even consider what ranked is gonna be like if I have a track record of losing so much.

Posted by: Flashfox.9753

Flashfox.9753

I play GW2 PvE to relax and have some fun. been doing so since beta. I did spend time in WvW and dabbled in PvP but as mentioned by others, I disliked the childish insults and fun others have ganging up on you, even if you have good builds (PvE ones though).

As for content, I strive to complete 100% of all maps with all of my toons but I change how I approach the task for each one. Starting from higher to lower, focusing on different items first, etc. By varying how I play I discovered new items, new ways to get things done, how to benefit from my builds, and doing so without the pressure of being stalked any pounced upon by multiple WvW players.

I don’t see myself focusing any time on PvP but I will more than likely dabble in the WvW world again.

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

I despise sPvP, LOVE WvW, and tolerate PvE. I like that anet introduced reward tracks and the ability to purchase HoT mastery things with Proofs of Heroics. This ensures that the time I have to spend in PvE is minimal.

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

I don’t like PvP, but tried WvW a few times and found it confusing. Getting started on an empty map section, hard to detect which color is yours, silence, no one chats in general, so no way to find out where your supposed team mates are… Am I missing something??

Yeah, sounds like you were missing your community which is sadly a fact for some now with world linking A lot of worlds also take their voice chat channels a little bit too seriously to be super inclusive feeling to new players. I suggest teaming up with some guildies to show you the ropes or ask nicely in /map chat for some guidance.

We might need more information to determine what actually went wrong in your experience tho. What world/server do you play on? What timezone did you enter the map during? On some worlds at some times of the day things can get pretty lonely.

Were you playing on the actual world vs world maps or Edge of the Mists? If on the one of the WvW maps, did you try the Eternal Battleground map first? That one is probably the best to start out on while you are learning as there is usually a public commander tag around during your worlds prime time. If on Edge of the Mists, know that it is a collection of all worlds combined with multiple copies of the map as needed and it is possible to get randomly placed on a nearly empty map that takes a few tricks to get out of.

Did you have both /team and /map chat enabled? In WvW now /team chat is across all 4 maps and can help you find where the action is focused. Your teams color can be determined from the WvW UI screen.

As for me, I don’t play WvW as much anymore since world linking rotations as they have killed the sense of community for me. I do PvP once in awhile but like others here, I am not hardcore enough to take it seriously. I generally ignore the salty talk and just do what I find fun in game solo but MMO’s are always more fun with friends and a sense of community. Sadly GW2 has matured beyond that for many of us.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Svarty.8019

I wasn’t saying T1/T2 are empty. However the constant funneling of people into those worlds is the problem. Anet needs to do something more than bandaids to fix it. World linking is the bandaid solution to a much bigger problem for the RvR game type.

I concur with you that it is a problem, but my point above is this;

• because the players of T1/T2 don’t experience as much emptiness,
  • they don’t say it’s a problem,
  • and if T1/T2 aren’t complaining,
  • nothing will be done about it.

Posted by: HaraldSkambank.7531

HaraldSkambank.7531

I don’t do it, because I’m not very good at it and I don’t have the time nor motivation to do it properly. I did it a handful of times in GW1 and only a couple of times in GW2. Last time I was running around like a headless chicken while the others were perfectly aware about where to go and what to do. (Granted, we did win, but no thanks to me, haha). I’m perfectly fine doing PvE stuff tbh, I never even think about PvP tbh. Even if it’s there in a game, I don’t see an obligation to do it really.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The color thing is quite a problem. Been playing for 4 years and sometimes I still forget what color is ours.

Though I suppose I’m just here to find red names though. I’m not particularly discriminate.

That being said, I think there’s a lot of unintuitive stuff.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I used to detest PvP in GW, both original and this one.

Now I’m just filled with apathy for them.
To be quite honest the only time I ever WvWvW is with EoTM when I’m loaded up with the WvW boosters because I can’t convert them into anything useful.

So to not waste them I spend the better part of my booster time trying to reach a Commander who is blazing away at top speeds and demanding everyone keep up with him. If you weren’t there from minute one, you may as well wait for the next rotation of it.

Even if you were, some nearby whoever color will glomp and kill all of you in an instant so why try fighting them? Those that might last now have to trek through half a map to reach the blob again.

sPVP is boring, though I did grind out more time on my Celebration Boosters with Stronghold than the other mode.

The game modes add nothing to the lore, nothing to the overall story of Guild Wars, and aren’t engaging to me.

Ironically enough I DO enjoy Dragon Ball, Lunatic’s Court, and Snowball Mayhem. I guess those being seasonal and limited added some charm to them?

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

people don’t pvp or wvw every day for the same reason that don’t eat same food every day

simple as that

Posted by: Seriously.7953

Seriously.7953

In PVE you are fighting opponents that will generally be fairly easy to beat, but its not possible to do that in PVP or WvW. Therefore, unless you are all-in on getting your build right, correct gear, optimal rotations, and know the strategies against certain opponents you’ll get nuked in just a few seconds.

I play this game casually, and I guarantee my build and rotations are far from optimal, and I’m just too lazy to immerse myself in all the details. I have played and enjoyed PvP in other games where I knew every last thing there was to know about it, but I just don’t have time nor effort to do this in gw2.

Posted by: Sobik.7839

Sobik.7839

I had some issues with getting in PvP, mostly because I needed to level up my characters in PvE so I can get to know their skills. PvPing without knowing your skills is kind of weird.

And now, that I know my skills, sometimes I’ll PvP. I cannot get used to WvW though, I don’t really understand it but maybe the understanding will come with time. And I do have issues with having to walk so much on the maps there.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

I liked PvP prior to HoT and finally found a good place in it right before the expansion dropped. The speed and visual noise have quadrupled and I can’t keep up with it – I only need about 30 more wins to get Champion Illusionist, but I can’t bring myself to try.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: Svennis.3852

Svennis.3852

I’m more of a PvE person because I love exploring the world and lore, and I love the story/character aspects of gw2. I think really have no interest in competitive play at all, but I’ll do it if there’s a reward track I absolutely want something from. For me, PvP and WvW just is not engaging or interesting.

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

I stopped playing WVW because of 2 things:

1) Takes way too long to run back to wherever you were if you died.
2) Way too much lag.

If they fixed #2, send me a PM and I might try again. Otherwise, I’ll probably keep avoiding it.