Cursed RNG... Not fun anymore =[

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

Am I missing something or is my account really cursed with horrible RNG luck…

It’s so infuriating when people that just stand next to where Teq’s claw is and just AA, even when Teq isn’t there… and they end up getting a Hoard. Why? How is that fair? Or is that really the secret, be a lazy kitten leech to get the good stuff? I should try that then actually…

I hate this games RNG… with a passion =[

Do i need to sacrifice a goat? How many?

I’m actually starting to lose it now… Guildmate that has been playing for 50 days got a Precursor, 2 Teq’s Hoards, several Ascended Chests… In all 3 years, i’ve gotten nothing but garbage and it just keeps getting worse and worse… Salvaged 10 level 80 rares using Silver-Fed once, got 0 ectos… He’s on the best reward side of the spectrum, i’m on the complete opposite… Why do you hate me so much ANET D’:

Can I get hugs please? =[

Can Teq get a token system already? The fight isn’t fun anymore =[

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

I would hug you, if only there were an emote for it.

If you had suggested this some months ago, I would not have agreed to a token system. However, with the recent wallet changes that allow for new currencies to be added easily, I don’t see the trouble in adding a new currency that will allow players over time to finally get the item they are looking for.

Of course, if too many new currencies are added, it will make the game feel a little more grindy no matter how it is implemented.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’ve only been playing since last April and I already have two hoards from Tequatl. Hope this helps.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

iSmack.1768

I’ve only been playing since last April and I already have two hoards from Tequatl. Hope this helps.

You’re cruel D*:

Grats though!

Posted by: BeckaPL.2670

BeckaPL.2670

I usually like to chime in with these to help people feel better with 15 level 80 exotic drops since launch. That’s it. And yes I have been keeping count since it’s easy to do when the number is so low. One ascended chest and it was Rampager’s shoulder piece. Unsurprisingly none of those 15 exotic drops were precursors, in fact the highest worth one was about 5g. So I am absolutely with you on being done with RNG

iSmack.1768

I would hug you, if only there were an emote for it.

If you had suggested this some months ago, I would not have agreed to a token system. However, with the recent wallet changes that allow for new currencies to be added easily, I don’t see the trouble in adding a new currency that will allow players over time to finally get the item they are looking for.

Of course, if too many new currencies are added, it will make the game feel a little more grindy no matter how it is implemented.

Aww thanks man!

I just like how SW was made… You get tokens, you buy what you want. I got both rings and all the recipes while playing casually and enjoying my time… Teq on the other hand, is I HAVE to be there or if i miss it, that’s it, that impossible chance to get it is gone. I’d rather just fight him, get a token and slowly work my way to getting the Hoard, not hope and pray then ultimately remember you’re at the low end of the spectrum so nope, no chance for me to get it.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Huge amounts of tl;dr and qq about “entitled players” and such, but there’s a thread that covers a lot of good ideas and general frustration with RNG rewards.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/RNG-as-a-concept-Discuss/

I recommend skimming, unless you have time for 21 pages.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

iSmack.1768

I usually like to chime in with these to help people feel better with 15 level 80 exotic drops since launch. That’s it. And yes I have been keeping count since it’s easy to do when the number is so low. One ascended chest and it was Rampager’s shoulder piece. Unsurprisingly none of those 15 exotic drops were precursors, in fact the highest worth one was about 5g. So I am absolutely with you on being done with RNG

You get many of my hugs now <3

Posted by: Jade Nekotenshi.8702

Jade Nekotenshi.8702

It’s so inconsistent, ne? I’ve probably gotten a grand total of maybe 35-40 exotic drops since launch, but the other day I got two, off a champ in Frostgorge and then off Claw of Jormag: a pair of zerker gauntlets and a zerker sword that, together, fetched me almost 30g.

Some days you’re the windshield, some days you’re the bug.

Edit: frelling curseword filter?

Kati Kainulainen – Norn warrior | Irina Kuznetsova – Human elementalist
Baghaar Ironfang – Charr guardian | Maja Sigurdsdottir – Norn ranger
Tarnished Coast

iSmack.1768

Huge amounts of tl;dr and qq about “entitled players” and such, but there’s a thread that covers a lot of good ideas and general frustration with RNG rewards.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/RNG-as-a-concept-Discuss/

I recommend skimming, unless you have time for 21 pages.

Thanks for the link. I’ll skim over it!

Honestly, I just want to have a system where we can just work towards the items we want, not hope and pray for an impossible odd to get something.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I’m playing since launch and i never had any Hoards. My friend did 150 Teq without any hoards either.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

It took me over a year to get my first teq hoard, and about a month to get two more (one was on my alt account). It took longer than that for me to get the mini teq, and in short time I got two more. Then yesterday, I threw 3 rare armors and one weapon into the forge and got Dawn… Over 5000 hours played and I finally got my first worthwhile precursor (not counting Rage). I also have a friend like yours. He has gotten multiple precursors, and a permanent hair contract from a handful of farmed keys. Meanwhile me over here has bought keys and opened hundreds of chests and nada, and have made several legendaries I’ve had to buy the precursors for out of pocket. It’s hard to be happy for the lucky people, but it’s not their fault.

All you can do is keep trying. I killed teq twice per day when my schedule allowed, sometimes more (but I never missed a single day). I still go to teq daily on each account, because the two gold and karma are worth it for me.

It’s also not fair to assume people who get a hoard haven’t contributed. All areas- defenses, turrets, battery, and zerg are required to win.

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

I couldn’t care less about the weapon, just give us a way to unlock the skin with the MF.

iSmack.1768

I couldn’t care less about the weapon, just give us a way to unlock the skin with the MF.

Or that… That would be great, but those that got the drop won’t be happy if we can just get it from MF. ANet doesn’t want them getting mad, so no way we’ll get this. They even official said in order to not get those people upset, you can’t get it with MF.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Awww a thousand hugs from a fellow unlucky person!!! <3

I hardly ever get anything that makes the boss farming worth while. Course this happens to me even when I do SW. I farm and open boxes and never get any exos to sell. Meanwhile my love 1 shots a try at a precursor.

World is so crueeeeel.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Just play the numbers game, if you keep throwing stuff in the forge for a precursor you’ll eventually get one. Took me lots of rare crafting to get mine but was worth it in the end.

Attachments:

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I tried so hard to get the staff for my necro. I finally gave up and bought a gem store weapon skin instead (I wonder if there is any relationship between extreme RNG and low drop rates for account bound skins and the frequent release of black lion skins?)

And the RNG God gives you a big horse laugh if you had dreams of getting the full set.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Just play the numbers game, if you keep throwing stuff in the forge for a precursor you’ll eventually get one. Took me lots of rare crafting to get mine but was worth it in the end.

Gimme ;_;

iSmack.1768

I tried so hard to get the staff for my necro. I finally gave up and bought a gem store weapon skin instead (I wonder if there is any relationship between extreme RNG and low drop rates for account bound skins and the frequent release of black lion skins?)

And the RNG God gives you a big horse laugh if you had dreams of getting the full set.

I firmly believe the RNG God left with all the Human Gods…

iSmack.1768

Awww a thousand hugs from a fellow unlucky person!!! <3

I hardly ever get anything that makes the boss farming worth while. Course this happens to me even when I do SW. I farm and open boxes and never get any exos to sell. Meanwhile my love 1 shots a try at a precursor.

World is so crueeeeel.

Thousand Hugs (new Warrior Elite Spec Skill)! Thousand Hugs back to you

And yea, i know the exact feel.

(edited by iSmack.1768)

iSmack.1768

I’ll offer you a few bit of scraps i have for it?

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

RNG works fine for regular items as you get so many of them that math demands the total value even out over time. What I never understood is using RNG for high-end items. Dumping riches on a randomly picked person for no good reason whatsoever is…a silly thing to do.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

RNG isn’t meant to be fun. Its mean to keep you busy and waste your time.

Posted by: The Master.2893

The Master.2893

Am I missing something or is my account really cursed with horrible RNG luck…
[

Your not only one (still waiting for that legendary drop)…

THE MASTER HAS SPOKEN!

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

[

Do not beseech the devil for what RNGesus has control over.

I wrote this in another topic on basically the same issue. It bears repeating here:

For as long as MMOs have had the RNG system, I’ve had to contend with the fact that I never, ever, in all my life, have gotten something that was significantly “rare” enough to warrant special mention. I’ve been playing these games for12 years now. And in these 12 years I’ve learned why it is that the lottery is called a stupid people tax..

#1: You aren’t going to get a precursor. Period. All the money you throw at trying to get one is figuratively going down the toilet.

#2: If you can’t measure your progress, it means you can’t make any progress. You are no closer to getting a precursor today then you were at launch. No amount of playtime or money spent entitles you to miracles.

#3: Luck is for other people. It may seem like it is for everyone, but that is because whenever someone is lucky they shout it to the skies. For every person who is lucky, there are tens of thousands who aren’t.

#4: Hard work is for you. It is much more profitable to sell and merch goods for trading than it is to buy and burn them hoping common sense is wrong. Take advantage of the fact that you can make money off of other people playing the lottery.

#5: Don’t even try to get one. It is a waste of time, money, effort, and hope. The sooner you accept failure, the sooner you can get over it and do something productive.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Lhos.1643

Lhos.1643

[

Do not beseech the devil for what RNGesus has control over.

I wrote this in another topic on basically the same issue. It bears repeating here:

For as long as MMOs have had the RNG system, I’ve had to contend with the fact that I never, ever, in all my life, have gotten something that was significantly “rare” enough to warrant special mention. I’ve been playing these games for12 years now. And in these 12 years I’ve learned why it is that the lottery is called a stupid people tax..

#1: You aren’t going to get a precursor. Period. All the money you throw at trying to get one is figuratively going down the toilet.

#2: If you can’t measure your progress, it means you can’t make any progress. You are no closer to getting a precursor today then you were at launch. No amount of playtime or money spent entitles you to miracles.

#3: Luck is for other people. It may seem like it is for everyone, but that is because whenever someone is lucky they shout it to the skies. For every person who is lucky, there are tens of thousands who aren’t.

#4: Hard work is for you. It is much more profitable to sell and merch goods for trading than it is to buy and burn them hoping common sense is wrong. Take advantage of the fact that you can make money off of other people playing the lottery.

#5: Don’t even try to get one. It is a waste of time, money, effort, and hope. The sooner you accept failure, the sooner you can get over it and do something productive.

Ignoring the fact that precursor crafting will be a thing soon enough, they can be purchased with gold, which can be obtained in various ways. Ergo, progress can be measured and made.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Just play the numbers game, if you keep throwing stuff in the forge for a precursor you’ll eventually get one.

Actually there are some examples which show that this is not necessarily true.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Lhos.1643

Just play the numbers game, if you keep throwing stuff in the forge for a precursor you’ll eventually get one.

It’s not possible to prove that’s not true without access to the source code involved. The number of possible attempts to get a precursor from the MF is infinite. You can’t stop at x tries and say it’s a fact that you’ll never get one.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

It’s not possible to prove that’s not true without access to the source code involved. The number of possible attempts to get a precursor from the MF is infinite. You can’t stop at x tries and say it’s a fact that you’ll never get one.

You’re being overly literal, there are players who have thrown an insane number of items into the toilet and not got a precursor.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Lhos.1643

You’re being overly literal, there are players who have thrown an insane number of items into the toilet and not got a precursor.

You’re not being literal enough.

NO U.

:P

EDIT: Maybe they just needed to throw in an insane number of items +4.

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Ignoring the fact that precursor crafting will be a thing soon enough, they can be purchased with gold, which can be obtained in various ways. Ergo, progress can be measured and made.

You’ve complete missed the point. Working to get the gold to buy a precursor isn’t the same as one falling from the sky. People complain that they haven’t gotten “lucky”, not that they haven’t worked long and hard enough to get gold.

Posted by: Aetrion.8295

Aetrion.8295

This game uses random loot all wrong. You know exactly where you have to go to get the loot, you just don’t know how many times you have to do the same content to ever see it.

In order for random loot to be fun and not just a huge pain in the rear it has to actually be random.

You’re killing a monster somewhere, for no particular reason and it randomly drops something awesome that you didn’t expect – that is fun.

You’re killing a specific, powerful monster for a certain item and there is only a tiny chance of getting that item – that is not fun.

The designers need to reevaluate how they use random loot. It can be used as a great incentive to do a lot of the regular content of the game, and travel around the world and do a lot of adventuring if absolutely everything in the game has a chance to randomly drop something really cool. Or it can lead a lot of people to total frustration or even stepping away from the game entirely because they feel cheated when they do the same content over and over with no reasonable expectation of ever getting a reward.

Just a flesh wound.3589

This game uses random loot all wrong. You know exactly where you have to go to get the loot, you just don’t know how many times you have to do the same content to ever see it.

In order for random loot to be fun and not just a huge pain in the rear it has to actually be random.

You’re killing a monster somewhere, for no particular reason and it randomly drops something awesome that you didn’t expect – that is fun.

You’re killing a specific, powerful monster for a certain item and there is only a tiny chance of getting that item – that is not fun.

The designers need to reevaluate how they use random loot. It can be used as a great incentive to do a lot of the regular content of the game, and travel around the world and do a lot of adventuring if absolutely everything in the game has a chance to randomly drop something really cool. Or it can lead a lot of people to total frustration or even stepping away from the game entirely because they feel cheated when they do the same content over and over with no reasonable expectation of ever getting a reward.

One thing I’ve never understood is how it could be done in a game with a world wide trading post. Unless it’s account bound, even a low chance translates to several to hundreds of the same thing a day getting dropped and many ending up getting sold.

If it’s frequent enough that it’s not a frustrating drop, then the trading post is flooded and it’s not a really cool drop. If it’s rare enough to be a cool drop, then it’s frustrating to get it since you can play for a long time before it drops. If it’s account bound only, then if you don’t need it it’s not cool because you can’t use it or sell it or you get it more than once, and it’s not cool the second time since you can’t sell it.

I have a feeling this a problem more in this game with no increased level progression with every expansion than in a game like WoW where your gear needs to be redone periodically.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Yeah, crafting a legendary weapons is really, well legendary if you bought it with gold.

I can see two heroes sitting at the campfire after a long day of looking heroic in Lions Arch, both decorated like a christmas tree, when a young warrior approaches them to look at their legendary weapons, and one says:
“Jeah Joe, do you remember how you totally fell that random undead krill in the lands of Orr, who spat out the precursor you needed? That was heroic, with a capital H dude!”
“Yeah, thanks Bill, that was awesome to get the precursor while other people squanderer their time with beating the undead Wizard over there that guarded some portal to something while getting a chest full of glass baubles for their effort. By the way, did you know that my uncle Carl has a legendary weapon too right now? His reflexes are low because he is old, but luckily, he is filthy rich and just bought it from a common vendor…”

Lhos.1643

You’ve complete missed the point. Working to get the gold to buy a precursor isn’t the same as one falling from the sky. People complain that they haven’t gotten “lucky”, not that they haven’t worked long and hard enough to get gold.

Hold one one sec….

So… what was the point of these? What you meant by #2 is pretty clear, then you outline in #3 and 4 that it’s more worthwhile to make gold, but now you’re telling me your whole point was the RNG is mean and stupid. Could have just said so. :P

Posted by: Dovienya.6597

Dovienya.6597

I hear you. Really.

I have never got an ascended drop of any sort since launch, unless you count rings (which I don’t.) I play with my husband, we do the same content, and above that I do several fractal runs a day that he doesn’t and I have to laugh when he pings his ascended drops.

To be 100% honest though, I’ve seen people go through this with fractal weapons, also. People I’ve been running fractals with for years now who have never gotten a single one. I still haven’t got a sword. 6 staves, no sword.

Hope your luck turns!

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Hold one one sec….

So… what was the point of these? What you meant by #2 is pretty clear, then you outline in #3 and 4 that it’s more worthwhile to make gold, but now you’re telling me your whole point was the RNG is mean and stupid. Could have just said so. :P

Nope. No “but now”. The whole point always is that it is stupid to be entitled to miracles. it is stupid to assume that, because you’ve played so long or because other people have received one or because you’ve dumped a lot of money into the mystic forge or because you’re a super special snowflake, you somehow deserve a super rare drop. I am utterly baffled how you could’ve arrived at a different conclusion in the first place.

Posted by: Leap Of Faith.8263

Leap Of Faith.8263

This curse is account bound for sure.
I am a victim too.
It’s saddening

~My Love Sunshine, Guardian [Jade Quarry]

Posted by: Leap Of Faith.8263

Leap Of Faith.8263

Also I noticed..
I used to do 20-30-50 frac almost daily on my necro and got like 4 ascended chest within a month. There is a good chance of dropping them in there. I think it’s 12%.
I made a new guardian which is about a month old. On that toon I haven’t gotten a single skin or chest in a month. I dont know if this happened cuz of the news of fractal changes in HOT or somehow new toons are not suppose to get good loot.
Confused..

~My Love Sunshine, Guardian [Jade Quarry]

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Yeah, that’s the sad thing about us gamers. In any other situation, if you were to tell someone they’re free to put effort into something but will make absolutely no progress towards a particular goal, they’d just walk away. We just grind on like shiny-obsessed Skritt.

Unfortunately people have taken to literally walking away (from their keyboards) by AFK leeching events.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Aetrion.8295

Aetrion.8295

One thing I’ve never understood is how it could be done in a game with a world wide trading post. Unless it’s account bound, even a low chance translates to several to hundreds of the same thing a day getting dropped and many ending up getting sold.

I don’t really see that as a problem. For one they can adjust the chance of something dropping very easily, and thereby regulate how many of them enter the game. Secondly, the much bigger factor in whether or not an item is extremely valuable is demand for the item. There is a reason why the precursor for legendary greatswords cost ten times what a legendary torch precursor costs, or why enameled red dye costs 400 gold and enameled brown only 50. Warhorns went up in price the second they revealed the Tempest details and then dropped again after everyone found them wanting during the beta weekend.
The cost of things in this game depends much more on what value players assign an item than its actual occurance. It’s only items that everyone wants and hardly anyone has that blow up to absurd prices.

Posted by: LTREEVEY.2348

LTREEVEY.2348

lmao

#RastaSyl-Vari
#ShrubLife
#DoItForTheVine

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t really see that as a problem. For one they can adjust the chance of something dropping very easily, and thereby regulate how many of them enter the game. Secondly, the much bigger factor in whether or not an item is extremely valuable is demand for the item. There is a reason why the precursor for legendary greatswords cost ten times what a legendary torch precursor costs, or why enameled red dye costs 400 gold and enameled brown only 50. Warhorns went up in price the second they revealed the Tempest details and then dropped again after everyone found them wanting during the beta weekend.
The cost of things in this game depends much more on what value players assign an item than its actual occurance. It’s only items that everyone wants and hardly anyone has that blow up to absurd prices.

“For one they can adjust the chance of something dropping very easily, and thereby regulate how many of them enter the game”

Do games commonly do that however? Do they have someone monitoring all the drop rates of all the “cool drops” and adjusting the rates up or down as needed to keep the price within a certain range? If a game Is going to regulate the drop rate this also means they have to monitor all drops to keep an eye out for emerging “coolness” and loss of interest, which would be labor intensive. I very much doubt they do and therefore that would not be a feasible option.

The rest of your post is about demand, which can only be determined by a game before the drop rate is set in a general sense and it shows that a game can’t decide ahead of time which drops will be the cool drops, which makes it difficult for the game to present the player with an adequate number of cool drops by design. I’m also not sure what it has to do with my question of how a game with a world wide trading post would manage to have drops that are both cool and frequent as those two conditions of a drop will cancel each other out unless the game is into micromanaging the drop rate.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)