Cursed Shore Penn / Shelter Changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

No one in there right mind is going to go through the same effort for T1 mats as T6 mats.

I would actually call it pure insanity to expect people to do this.

Fix drops for downleveled areas and maybe but not with the current broken system

This is a very bad idea, T1-T4 mats would become more expensive than T5-mats – and you couldn´t even farm them with your lvl 80.

Then they are never going to draw players away from the high end zones.

Seriously why run around in ashford plains for example farming T1 mats and fighting low end events for coppers when at the end you arnt even going to have made enough money to cover your armor repairs.

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Then they need to fix there horribly broken downleveling system.

If killing a lvl 80 risen in orr can drop me a T6 mat and killing a lvl 10 undead in ashford plains which is just as hard due to downleveling drops a T1 mat you are NEVER going to draw players from the high end zones. No one in there right mind is going to go through the same effort for T1 mats as T6 mats.

I would actually call it pure insanity to expect people to do this.

Fix drops for downleveled areas and maybe but not with the current broken system

Thank you, so much this. At the very least it would be nice if bag drops also scaled to level.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This is a very bad idea, T1-T4 mats would become more expensive than T5-mats – and you couldn´t even farm them with your lvl 80.

Turning this around . . .

Where’s the problem with that? In theory it will allow some wealth to move from the level 80s who need the low-tier materials to the people who actually are earning them. I mean, if Tiny Claws start costing 50s a pop then you’ll see people selling them rather than hoarding them.

And if you had similar chances to earn tier-six Fine materials in earlier areas, you’d see the starting areas packed to the gills all over again with people. I mean, not the people you’d want to see there, and new folk wouldn’t have anything to actually do before the farm-squads descended on anything that moved for their materials . . . but it’d be fixed for everyone else.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Where’s the problem with that? In theory it will allow some wealth to move from the level 80s who need the low-tier materials to the people who actually are earning them. I mean, if Tiny Claws start costing 50s a pop then you’ll see people selling them rather than hoarding them.

And if you had similar chances to earn tier-six Fine materials in earlier areas, you’d see the starting areas packed to the gills all over again with people. I mean, not the people you’d want to see there, and new folk wouldn’t have anything to actually do before the farm-squads descended on anything that moved for their materials . . . but it’d be fixed for everyone else.

Materials are hard to farm for lower level characters who don’t want to wait until 80 to start crafting; I hoarded materials all through leveling and still needed to buy some from the TP to craft efficiently. It takes quite a few of each type of material to get through a crafting tier, and a change that caused low-level drops to spike in price that high would make starting a craft prohibitively expensive for many people.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Materials are hard to farm for lower level characters who don’t want to wait until 80 to start crafting; I hoarded materials all through leveling and still needed to buy some from the TP to craft efficiently. It takes quite a few of each type of material to get through a crafting tier, and a change that caused low-level drops to spike in price that high would make starting a craft prohibitively expensive for many people.

I’ve had numerous people tell me I’m not supposed to be actually using materials for crafting, I’m supposed to be selling them when they’re worth the most. Especially for low level characters. The reasoning is that crafting isn’t profitable itself so why aren’t you selling the materials and avoid throwing more money than you need to away.

So, really, by the mindset which comes up with the above . . . making T1-T4 materials much more valuable is okay. “Nobody” uses them for crafting anyway.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Lane.3410

Initially that would probably be true, but I would like to believe that over time people would come to realize more profitable DEs/farming areas in the world besides the starting zones. I mean, if bags and fine materials scaled then people would ideally be spreading out more to maximize their profits.

As an example, the Ulgoth/Kol chains in Harathi Hinterlands would be more profitable than probably anything you could find in Queensdale. There are probably a lot of other similar events in the world people just aren’t aware of yet. They tend to go with what’s familiar or what they’ve read about others doing.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Initially that would probably be true, but I would like to believe that over time people would come to realize more profitable DEs/farming areas in the world besides the starting zones. I mean, if bags and fine materials scaled then people would ideally be spreading out more to maximize their profits.

As an example, the Ulgoth/Kol chains in Harathi Hinterlands would be more profitable than probably anything you could find in Queensdale. There are probably a lot of other similar events in the world people just aren’t aware of yet. They tend to go with what’s familiar or what they’ve read about others doing.

“Over time” would mean “one week”. Seriously. That’s how long it would take for the word to get out that there’s a couple places you can milk the heck out of drops which are now T6 materials, or Ecto-providing Rares, and we’d be back at the same issue again . . . that certain events are getting more attention than others.

Hey, but at least T6 materials would be more abundant.

Lane.3410

What the crafting method they’ve incorporated has essentially done is made gathering materials virtually worthless. Everything relies on rare drops to create. I’d much rather have seen gathered material costs for creating items tripled and drop items needed cut by 2/3. The amount needed really is ridiculous, especially if you want to discover all the recipes.

I have completed all the PvE maps, did every DE I came across along the way, and did not have enough fine materials to level even one profession without having to supplement materials through the TP. Meanwhile, I sold stack after stack of useless ore and wood for literally pennies. You only end up needing a fraction of what you gather versus the amount of dropped items required.

(edited by Lane.3410)

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

I’m actually fine with the changes. I dislike the champions, but I do feel that those farm spots needed a little push for the rewards you get there. People will most likely shift to doing Temple events and other chest events while Orr in general will be a T6 farming location. Too bad if you wanted to farm for you legendaries, it’s better to camp the TP now. I for one don’t care about legendaries so it doesn’t matter for me, but still.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

its very hard for a themepark game to make the game only about the “fun” and not only the “loot”.

personnally, i dont like when bunch of people are “waiting” at events or world boss to zerg them.
its quite the gamebreaker.

i agree with the game taking steps to make it less farmable, as long as they are able to still bring people once in a while to these maps/events.

but “farm spots” were just… bad

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

All I know is I rolled through there for the first time since patch and saw a wipe in progress at Shelter’s Gate, with about 15 players already dead. For this reason alone, I support the changes.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

I have mixed feelings about that. While I can understand why ANet felt the changes were needed, another part of me disagrees with ANet nerf-hammering literally every surface-world means to actually make some money in reasonable time, forcing people to farm dungeons/fractals, generate wealth via TP manipulation and/or buy gold with gems instead.
In my opinion, the different ways to play the game (namely open world PvE, instances, WvW) should yield a roughly equal monetary reward per hour played. If this were the case, people wouldn’t be forced to artificially ‘farm’ gold, they would get it from playing the game normally. Which in my opinion is the way it should be.

Tarnished Coast

Lane.3410

In my opinion, the different ways to play the game (namely open world PvE, instances, WvW) should yield a roughly equal monetary reward per hour played. If this were the case, people wouldn’t be forced to artificially ‘farm’ gold, they would get it from playing the game normally. Which in my opinion is the way it should be.

I totally agree. I’ve been playing since September doing mostly map completion, exploration, DEs, alts, etc. I’m always out and about in various parts of the world, but financially I have suffered a lot for that playstyle.

I tried farming Cursed Shores and I could only bear to do it about an hour at a time every other day at best. It just wasn’t fun. I’d end up retreating back into actually enjoyable activities and subsequent in-game poverty.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I totally agree. I’ve been playing since September doing mostly map completion, exploration, DEs, alts, etc. I’m always out and about in various parts of the world, but financially I have suffered a lot for that playstyle.

I tried farming Cursed Shores and I could only bear to do it about an hour at a time every other day at best. It just wasn’t fun. I’d end up retreating back into actually enjoyable activities and subsequent in-game poverty.

I’ve done the same thing but I found . . . it’s not quite “poverty” as much as “I don’t have nearly as much money as the people selling Precursors or expensive Sigils/Runes” . The problem is, unfortunately, I’m okay with not being super-rich.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I quit farming the pent / shelter quite awhile back. What I have found is that by harvesting in Orr/Frostgorge and fighting the mobs as I go…I get better drops than what pent / shelt has turned into.

Plus I get a bagful of high level mats to sell.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Lane.3410

I’ve done the same thing but I found . . . it’s not quite “poverty” as much as “I don’t have nearly as much money as the people selling Precursors or expensive Sigils/Runes” . The problem is, unfortunately, I’m okay with not being super-rich.

It depends on what you want. Everyone’s different. I’m an altoholic with a penchant for vanity so I will never be “super-rich”. Buying one set of T3 cultural + an Abyss dye would almost wipe me out completely.

im ok with not being rich too.
yeah, the regular players could get a little improved gold income.

but really… what do you need gold for “that will change your playstyle/power that much”?

basically, getting sigils, runes etc, but you can still use good ones and wait a bit to get top ones. its not like you re nothing without it.
and basically, i find that skills is much more important.

How many times, did i see a dude in t3 cultural and legendary having a hard time to jump or dodge?
geez… they probably spent way too much time facerolling some farmable content….

Tobias Trueflight.8350

im ok with not being rich too.
yeah, the regular players could get a little improved gold income.

but really… what do you need gold for “that will change your playstyle/power that much”?

- Use Gold to buy Fine/Rare materials for crafting.
- Use Gold to buy pieces to start building your Legendary.
- Use Gold to pump into Influence, especially now.
- Use Gold to work on WvW fortifications or siege.
- Use Gold for that awesome-looking item on Black Lion.

There’s plenty people would spend that gold on if they had it.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I’ve always considered champion mobs the most boring part of the game.

No real challenge, they just take a long time for no real payoff.

If the game just had text saying “champion mob!” and it alt tabbed you for 60 seconds, the experience would be the same.

@tobias
true,
maybe im just not that type of player.
i play casually, get my 1 gold per 2 hours, spend 10$ to buy gems every month (imo they deserve it), and i happen to have a smooth and interesting progression curve with gold and laurels and ecto all comin up together.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

If the game just had text saying “champion mob!” and it alt tabbed you for 60 seconds, the experience would be the same.

Well, in the sense of me being on the ground with “Return to Waypoint” on the screen? Yes It would be the same, just cut out about 10 minutes of dodging and healing.

@tobias
true,
i play casually, get my 1 gold per 2 hours, spend 10$ to buy gems every month (imo they deserve it), and i happen to have a smooth and interesting progression curve with gold and laurels and ecto all comin up together.

I do just about all of that except buying Gems. And if I could afford to do it, I . . . probably would, in all honesty, for a few months until I reached everything I wanted to. (A couple extra character slots, full bank tabs, and the occasional key.)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I’m going to guess that Shelter/ Penn are a part of the “A new test version of our advanced event scaling algorithm has been applied to four high-level, regularly played events to help us monitor the feasibility of this system in the live environment.”

So honestly, let them know what you think. It’s a test.

As for me, I think the events are more enjoyable now but they have killed the loot…and that was kinda the point of Shelter/Penn :/

I’m going to guess it’s not a test. I mean, how would we know ? They also said they were making changes to Orr to make it more “interesting”. Whether this is a tinfoil plot to direct players out of Orr or they really thought the changes would make Orr more “interesting”, the upshot is the same. It’s bad news for players.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m going to guess it’s not a test. I mean, how would we know ? They also said they were making changes to Orr to make it more “interesting”. Whether this is a tinfoil plot to direct players out of Orr or they really thought the changes would make Orr more “interesting”, the upshot is the same. It’s bad news for players.

It’s bad news for the exact wrong reasons, unfortunately. I can almost see how the decision went down – they wanted to play around with the composition of those events since they were largely the same as the Kessex Hills bridge event; semi-afk with autoattacks on in a big mass and get credit for the events. Since smacking people with bans who were doing that didn’t work so well . . .

Why not push the events to where they need to pay attention?

Only the result is going to be these players seeing it’s no longer so easy and then move to . . . oh, I dunno, the R&D waypoint for the Tar Elemental event. They’re didn’t stick around because they wanted to do the events, they stuck around because it was easy money.

Now that it’s no longer easy money? They’ll move to the next event area and the fix which was calibrated for a large mass of players which is no longer there doesn’t work.

Well, in the sense of me being on the ground with “Return to Waypoint” on the screen? Yes It would be the same, just cut out about 10 minutes of dodging and healing.

@tobias
true,

I do just about all of that except buying Gems. And if I could afford to do it, I . . . probably would, in all honesty, for a few months until I reached everything I wanted to. (A couple extra character slots, full bank tabs, and the occasional key.)

well, i work 40h+ a week, and 10$ a month (a McD’s supersized combo less and eat a bowl of rice with vedgie 1 day per month) is ok for me. saves me from the “grind” that i dont find enjoyable.
i prefer to just enjoy the game, depending on what i feel like doing with my gametime.
time is money

Posted by: Circling Skies.1872

Circling Skies.1872

I’m tired of them saying repeatedly that Vets and Champs have had their loot drop fixed and I kill a Champ and get absolutely nothing, not even trash trophies. THAT is what is kitten me off the most about all of this. Killed Jormag to get my now daily chest from him and got ALL Blues. Hurray!!!

Posted by: Xaaz.8472

Xaaz.8472

All I know is I rolled through there for the first time since patch and saw a wipe in progress at Shelter’s Gate, with about 15 players already dead. For this reason alone, I support the changes.

I agree. I ran through there and saw the champion facerolling all the MF gear/taggers/leechers and got a great laugh. You know the kind of people that went to the events just to ae tag a mob and move to the next group. Yeah, I loved watching them fall over dead.

I’m tired of them saying repeatedly that Vets and Champs have had their loot drop fixed and I kill a Champ and get absolutely nothing, not even trash trophies. THAT is what is kitten me off the most about all of this. Killed Jormag to get my now daily chest from him and got ALL Blues. Hurray!!!

then kill regular mobs?

dunno what to tell you… im no farmer/grinder myself.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

Agreed!!! It’s starting to feel like a level 80 end-game zone again. Orr as it was back when I first entered in October, PLUS these more difficult events would make Orr perfect. I hated it when they nerfed Orr in to the ground. It’s supposed to be hard, it’s supposed to be tedious, it’s the game’s end zone for the love of God. It’s NOT supposed to be easy!!! For the first time since playing the game, I actually went down AND was defeated at Shelter last night, as were so many others. It was awesome!!! Not, because I was defeated, but because it was actually a challenge for a change. Previous to this patch I could solo Shelter, and as a necro that’s not saying much for the event. This is not what I would expect from an event in this area and this part of the patch, for me, is a welcome addition. When they nerfed Orr there a month or two ago, I stopped doing Promenade of the Gods because it went from challenging to nothing more than routine grind. The event was a mere shadow of it’s original glory. Haven’t tried it since yesterday’s patch, but I can hope it was also reverted to be more challenging.

As for the OP…

Maybe tonight was an odd night with it being patch day and all, or maybe I’m unlucky. My nightly haul of money was at least half of what it normally is. In an hour I’d roughly get around 4-5g which is about the norm for anyone who farms there.

This is an obscene amount of money compared to what many of us get. I might get that much gold in 2 weeks of play. I think it has less to with champions, which certainly does affect it, but it probably has more to do with the patch balancing kill credit a bit better so that high-burst damage dealers don’t have substantially better chance to get better loot. “Credit for killing creatures is now easier to receive in situations when many players are attacking a single target.” My hope was that they would dial low earners up, but if they dialed high earners down, I’m fine with that too, as long as everyone’s on an even playing field. I know last night was the first time I’ve received a rare in about a month (Since a couples days after that last major patch)…granted it could be just the post patch luck thing that tends to happen where drops seem to be typically better immediately after a major update.

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

So u dont think the same loot rules should apply for same effort? We should accept that some accounts have broken loot drops, keep ignoring vets and champs. Sad to break it tou but i think anet wants champs to be killed, too bad they cant fix the so called perceived loot drop issue.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Playing the events because they’re fun > Grinding the events for gold.

You’d think this would be a good change, BUT WAIT! People want the loot at the end of the tunnel, even though this game isn’t about loot…

600 gold for precursor. 2000+ gold for legendary. a few hundred gold for permanent merchant/bank/trader. 500 gold for total make over. insane price for culture item. Maybe 10,000+ gold for endless tonic from black lion chest. 100+ gold to infuse your backpiece for fotm. 30+ gold to transfer server. 100+ gold for small guild to do guild event. 50+ gold for some of the “skins”. 60+ gold to level alt through crafting. Expensive holiday exclusive items. Trying to collect miniature? Buying gem store skins? 100+ gold for small guild to buy influence to do guild event? Equiping your 8 alt with exotic equipment. Buying more bank/bag space.

The players didn’t introduced this. Anet did. So ya, if those won’t there in the game you made a point this game isn’t about loot. Gold is useful in this game. That’s why I farm it. And apparently many people do it too.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

and all of that is needed to enjoy the game?

no.

its needed if you are “dedicated” and enjoy that type of, hardcore playing.

laokoko.7403

no.

Apparently for me, because there isn’t anything for me to do in the game. I’m sure Anet knows it, that’s why those items are in the game. And apparently there are many gold sink in this game, because so people can buy gem with real life cash. That’s the truth right? I didn’t design the game, Anet did. I’m just following what Anet want me to do. And apparently that’s what my friend is doing too. They farm gold everyday to buy all those things I listed.

If you don’t think I should play that way. Why do Anet introduced those in the first place. I didn’t put it there. Anet did.

I am happy that Anet does try to change though. I dont’ think doing the same 2 event over and over again is healthy. I like how Anet does try to push people to do various event now. And the introduction of guild event I’m quite happy. They are adding new content.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Agreed!!! It’s starting to feel like a level 80 end-game zone again. Orr as it was back when I first entered in October, PLUS these more difficult events would make Orr perfect. I hated it when they nerfed Orr in to the ground. It’s supposed to be hard, it’s supposed to be tedious, it’s the game’s end zone for the love of God. It’s NOT supposed to be easy!!! For the first time since playing the game, I actually went down AND was defeated at Shelter last night, as were so many others. It was awesome!!! Not, because I was defeated, but because it was actually a challenge for a change. Previous to this patch I could solo Shelter, and as a necro that’s not saying much for the event. This is not what I would expect from an event in this area and this part of the patch, for me, is a welcome addition. When they nerfed Orr there a month or two ago, I stopped doing Promenade of the Gods because it went from challenging to nothing more than routine grind. The event was a mere shadow of it’s original glory. Haven’t tried it since yesterday’s patch, but I can hope it was also reverted to be more challenging.

As for the OP…

Maybe tonight was an odd night with it being patch day and all, or maybe I’m unlucky. My nightly haul of money was at least half of what it normally is. In an hour I’d roughly get around 4-5g which is about the norm for anyone who farms there.

This is an obscene amount of money compared to what many of us get. I might get that much gold in 2 weeks of play. I think it has less to with champions, which certainly does affect it, but it probably has more to do with the patch balancing kill credit a bit better so that high-burst damage dealers don’t have substantially better chance to get better loot. “Credit for killing creatures is now easier to receive in situations when many players are attacking a single target.” My hope was that they would dial low earners up, but if they dialed high earners down, I’m fine with that too, as long as everyone’s on an even playing field. I know last night was the first time I’ve received a rare in about a month (Since a couples days after that last major patch)…granted it could be just the post patch luck thing that tends to happen where drops seem to be typically better immediately after a major update.

I was doing pent/shelt yesterday, and the main reason I figured I was getting less loot was due to the fact that some of the normal waves of mobs you would get were now being replaced by champion mobs, which usually give you 1 blue when you finally manage to take them down. And no, I’m not one of those people who made 4-5 gold a day before these changes, then only way I could get decent loot was if I grouped, but now I no longer need to do that.

It was the same for that krait event near teq’s spawn point in sparkfly fen thatpeople often get large scales from. I use to get around 5-10 scales per an event, now I only get around 3 due to a large amount of time being spent fighting vet/champ mobs.

(I don’t do this event to farm large scales, I’m just using it as an example)

Again, I find pent/shelt more enjoyable now, but on the downside I make less from them now, which is what I did the events for in the first place.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

Seems fine to me. Affects The Zerg flail and tag mobs approach. I am ok with it.

Posted by: Kings X.5082

Kings X.5082

Leamas,

It is supposed to be fun, not hard and tedious. I can see the game reviews now. This game is so hard and tedious you will love it, buy it now and get your rear end handed to you! Imagine the fun you will have being face down in the dirt! Get the collectors edition that features minis that laugh at you when you die repeatedly!

Anyway all kidding aside, this game remains on big giant gold sink. Just the fact that you have to spend gold just to display your guild emblem after buying the guild emblem template was enough for me to see the real motivation of GW2. Displaying an emblem should have been free for everyone in a guild once the template was completed. In GW1 everyone displayed an emblem, in GW2 noone displays an emblem.

I will never spend another dime on this game, in GW1 I was happy to buy any additional stuff to support Anet, but now the choice is no longer mine and I will continue to show my dis-satisfaction by not spending any more of my money on this gold sink. This patch by removing another gold making opportunity shows where Anet’s mindset is at.

This game will never last as long as GW1 without a major gutting of the gold sink system, it gets too old too fast.

back to the shadows…..

Leamas.5803

Again, I find pent/shelt more enjoyable now, but on the downside I make less from them now, which is what I did the events for in the first place.

I never farm for money. It would be maddening as I have a cursed account and typically make less than a gold in session of a couple hours. I MIGHT squeak over a gold if I sell all the mats that drop, but I typically keep them and sell them in large lots or give them guildies for crafting. Over all, last night I made somewhat more from Pent/Shelter/Plinx/Jofast than before the patch. Again, this could just be the after-patch luck I tend to have for a few days after a major release. In the 3-4 days after the January patch I had 5 rares drop within 2 days, then not another rare dropped until last night. This sounds like a bug to me, but would be a real ugly one to track down.

It is supposed to be fun, not hard and tedious. I can see the game reviews now. This game is so hard and tedious you will love it, buy it now and get your rear end handed to you! Imagine the fun you will have being face down in the dirt! Get the collectors edition that features minis that laugh at you when you die repeatedly!

I disagree. I think you’re playing the wrong game. I soloed most of Orr as a necro, before any of it was nerfed, before they added new waypoints. It was challenging and a couple things that required me to solicit help from other players, at least at the end of it, there was a sense of achievement. Orr was the first area I received the explorer achievement for…99% of it was done solo and all of it was done before they thinned out the mobs. You had to actually think and plan your path because it wasn’t feasible to just hack-n-slash your way through. Again, this was using a necro, so at the time, perhaps the weakest profession in the game, thankfully with lots of HP. I would have been disappointed if it were a cake-walk. I think more people would prefer the challenge than for it to be be too easy.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

no.

Apparently for me, because there isn’t anything for me to do in the game. I’m sure Anet knows it, that’s why those items are in the game. And apparently there are many gold sink in this game, because so people can buy gem with real life cash. That’s the truth right? I didn’t design the game, Anet did. I’m just following what Anet want me to do. And apparently that’s what my friend is doing too. They farm gold everyday to buy all those things I listed.

If you don’t think I should play that way. Why do Anet introduced those in the first place. I didn’t put it there. Anet did.

I am happy that Anet does try to change though. I dont’ think doing the same 2 event over and over again is healthy. I like how Anet does try to push people to do various event now. And the introduction of guild event I’m quite happy. They are adding new content.

you can farm all you want! if you enjoy it its perfect.
i prefer 1h to do my daily and get further into map completion.
1h dungeons, 1h wvwvw.

game gives you many ways of playing it.
but if you are at the “need to farm 1000 gold stage”.
well sir, you played a lot! or are .. too smart!

either way, its all good.
but dont complain about the grind, its obvious a non randomized pve game will have it.
even if you have to play as much as a full time job to reach it.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Leamas,

Did anyone else immediately think of Duck Hunt and the dog?

I could only pull off 1-2gold from Pent/Shelter runs pre-patch, and that was selling everything. But again I am a Ranger that has condi build + zerker armor & pirate runes… I know it’s bad but I’m currently getting gold to re-rune. I went with stuff I could craft and afford.
I tried to use barrage to tag mobs then jump in with a GS and do more dmg. It never really worked for me. I couldn’t actually get the kill credit unless I grouped.
I will wager I can now get more but it will never compare to what some could. My playstyle has me all over the place doing more of exploring and completing events or helping others out than farming. I went there (Pent/Shelter)as a desperate move to make some money to craft armor for alts and save for better runes.
Let’s hope the Champ/vets issue is resolved or else people really will flood the forums.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

laokoko.7403

no.

you can farm all you want! if you enjoy it its perfect.
i prefer 1h to do my daily and get further into map completion.
1h dungeons, 1h wvwvw.

game gives you many ways of playing it.
but if you are at the “need to farm 1000 gold stage”.
well sir, you played a lot! or are .. too smart!

either way, its all good.
but dont complain about the grind, its obvious a non randomized pve game will have it.
even if you have to play as much as a full time job to reach it.

ya I’m not you. you can play whatever way you like and I can play whatever way I like.

I’m not complaining about grinding. I’m telling you why people are complaining about grinding. And Anet does make a consicence effort to keep people like me and other people from grinding so we dont’ quit the game.

It is really the casual complaining right? look at the forum and how people complain about the various gold sink in the game.

I do think there need to be a change though. People shouldn’t be made to farm the same content over and over again. A balance in the reward so people will play various content is indeed needed.

true.
a lot of people seem to play “the most rewarding thing” over and over again.
i know a rl friend thats like that.

do you really think anet can cure these people ? even if its 1 silver an hour more they will go there.
imo its better to clog them in one place so they dont affect too much the overall game.

Posted by: Kalowg.7659

Kalowg.7659

Since I started this post yesterday I’ve had some time to read the replies and think more about this subject. Pardon my verbal vomit as my thoughts will be a little all over the place.

First to give you an idea of what my current goals are right now, I am on the tail end of getting a legendary. I like many others am missing the precursor. My current poison of choice was to use the Mystic toilet to drop rares in hopes of obtaining one. I was fine with that for now.

To do so requires about 32g for 20 attempts (80 rares). So I could come to expect I could try this out around once a week. This is why I was farming Penn / Shelter and likely why many others do as well.

Let me say that there were things I liked about it, and things I didn’t like. I didn’t like the routine. As others have pointed out it gets boring, but it is necessary because of the costs associated with this task. I did however like the “regulars” I came to know. The feeling was like walking into a bar where you are a regular. You pull up a seat and chat with your buddies. The commoradity was further solidified because grouping yielded more loot, so I came to know these people well.

This however isn’t all that I did. When time allows I go to other aspects of the game. Recently I’ve been in CM working on getting my set. Sometimes I’d poke my head into WvW, that is when I wasn’t spending time on the web searching for the next rune, weapon, or piece of armor I’d like to get. I’d even go kill dragons when the time synced up.

Cont…

Posted by: Kalowg.7659

Kalowg.7659

The point is I was experiencing a lot of the game. I only play for about an hour or two an evening, and what the weekend would allow.

Penn/Shelter was that aspect of the game which allowed me as a player to have a means of keeping up with the economy that I could jump into anytime. At most you have a 10/15 minute window between events. I could login at anytime and join up with my fellow farmers who have become my friends.

A game like this needs a means to fill that very hole. Something that doesn’t require planning you could jump into with anyone that yields reward. Penn/Shelter was it.

With that seemengly removed (like I said I haven’t been everywhere since patch yet, so could not be the case) I’m forced into the following scenarios.

1. Dungeons
2. Temple Events
3. Dragons

I know I’m probably missing more, but they all share something in common. The timers are long, and require more coordination to succeed at such event. I could be very screwed by this. What if I jump on at 8pm and there is still an hour and a half between the dragon events to pop? Am I staying up till 10:30 to do this task? Not likely.

What if I jump on during non peak hours to do a temple? Am I going to succeed without the numbers to pull through? No we will not.

Do I want to put myself in a dungeon and risk putting burden on those I’m playing with if I have to go away from my PC? I don’t want to do that to other players.

The point is Penn / Shelter provided that jump on at any time, and get done what you need to get done aspect. The alternatives as I see them now don’t provide that flexibility, and they certainly don’t provide the necessary amount of reward to keep up with the economy.

People have pointed out ANETs intention may be to force us to other parts of the world and I’m all for that. Its a big place and I like moving about, but if ANET wants me to move from point A to B a lot then they need to remove the cost in doing so. Many of the events barely yield enough currency to reimburse the cost of traveling there.

Also what about all the other play styles. What about the people that spend all their time in WvW? Should they be forced to do other things? What about the people who do nothing but dungeon speed runs? Should they be forced out to do other things?

Part of the point is I get to decide how I want to play on any given day due to the time I have available and the benefit I can see from such activity.

Also lets talk about loot. Let’s face it gold is necessary. This game like every other MMO drops you loot that 99% of the time you don’t need or want. These games are about taking the loot you dont want, and turning it into the loot you do want. That involves selling to vendors and to the TP. With the Penn / Shelter change there may not be enough opportunities to generate the revenue necessary to do so.

Because I was very happy with the game ANET has put together I bought gems every month. Even if I didn’t have anything to spend them on because they deserve to yield the fruits of their labor. I don’t think I’ll be doing that anymore.

I expect to be able to do the same. Get the fruits of my labor. I still have a lot to do on my character from getting bags, dyes, armor sets, and my legendary. If the new norm now comes to only getting an upgrade of a sort once a month, then sorry that isn’t near enough reward for the time I’ll be putting in to do those things.

Like I said I’m still open to seeing what will come of this, but if part of this envolves waiting for the economy to adjust to the new normal we could be in for a very long wait. I don’t know if I’m willing to wait that long.

Posted by: Jordy.1570

Jordy.1570

this change is so stupid…. before the patch ppl already ignored veterans…. now its even worth…. i will figure out how many hits they need to get flagged and ignore them…. all these changes will affect the community in a bad way…. everyone tries to get max profit and most ppl ignored them already. the also change karma gained at events..

@jordy

not everyone tries to get max profit.
but thats definitely a group of people who would enjoy more a game like D3.

i would be happy if gw2 strong playerbase would eventually, slowly, lose these profit oriented players.
sorry anet

laokoko.7403

true.
a lot of people seem to play “the most rewarding thing” over and over again.
i know a rl friend thats like that.

do you really think anet can cure these people ? even if its 1 silver an hour more they will go there.
imo its better to clog them in one place so they dont affect too much the overall game.

It is indeed anet’s job to balance the content so people would do everything. The 1 silver comment is exaggeration. If the reward is balanced out, and diminishing return put in the right places. I do think people will do every content Anet have to offer.

The question is if Anet even want to do that. Since as we all know if the content is too spread out there wont’ be enough people to do the content.

Leamas.5803

this change is so stupid…. before the patch ppl already ignored veterans…. now its even worth…. i will figure out how many hits they need to get flagged and ignore them…. all these changes will affect the community in a bad way…. everyone tries to get max profit and most ppl ignored them already. the also change karma gained at events..

Don’t be such a kitten ! Too much activity like this will cause events to be locked down even further as people report it as an exploit. Aside from that, it’s just inconsiderate to other players and if everyone did this, you’d end up with a lot of failed events and a lot less profit/karma. This is part of the reason I welcome more veterans and champs to cut down on taggers and event leechers. I’ve actually been making more on these events since the patch, still not even close to the 4-5 gold per hour so many claimed to make and it makes me happy to see drops come more in line…if that’s what we’re actually seeing here. It’s very frustrating to be in a group, getting blues and trash, when everyone else is getting greens, rares, or better. So, while I feel your pain, if you want to be an kitten all I can say is, “Welcome to my world of kittenty drops and crappy loot!!!” There’s a 30 page thread related to it around here somewhere….and a 26 page thread before that. I envision a new thread starting in the next week or so once it’s discovered this patch likely did not fix cursed accounts. This has been my reality since November. The sense of entitlement by those who already make vastly more than me in this game is just staggering.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

As a guardian (based on a few hours one night so yea i know its not a real sample ) the drops were a lot better. If people were getting 5g a night farming pen you were rolling in it while everyone else was getting 50s if they were lucky.

A situation were some classes/players recived 10 times the reward that others recived has been corrected. Anet is not going to tweak things so every one gets 5g and certainly they arent going to change things back so a few players are rolling in cash while the rest of us are making 1000 post threads about why we get no drops.

Seeing we have been waiting 4 months for things to be evened out making 5g a night people got a 600g bonus before they fixed what Anet has now admitted was a problem.

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

If this is indeed one of the locations for their new “scaling” system, I have to say I’m terribly disappointed in it. It seems to function like this, the more people you get the more Vets and Champs replace regular mobs. Now, it’s not 1 for 1 obviously, the Champs seem to replace an entire wave.
And since drops from champs and vets is still beyond garbage it means that despite putting in the same effort or more than killing an entire wave you get 1/100th of the reward for that “wave”.
So basically the more players you have the less loot anyone there gets.

Instead of having a system that scales the difficulty AND the reward by the same degree, it’s actually scaling the reward Down as much as it scales the difficulty Up.
This is the kind of sadistic insanity they insist on cramming down our throats and demanding we gag on it.
This isn’t to make things “more interesting”, it’s to drive people to other areas of the game. Because this is the best they can come up with to make everything else appealing, making the stuff people are currently doing not worth doing.
They are herding us around via nerfs.
They are Nerf-herders.

Sorry but this new scaling system (assuming this is one of the places they put it) is garbage. It’s not even worthy of being stuck in a lit paper bag to be left on someone’s porch.

As I said elsewhere, To paraphrase an old saying, When the only skill you have is a nerf-hammer every problem starts to look like something that needs to be nerfed.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Hector.5981

Hector.5981

i honestly don’t know why do they keep nerfing penit/shelt/plinx when people already farmed the kitten out of them in earlier months the new penit/shelt/plinx is not even worth doing anymore imo i was already farming my legendary weapon there just fine but now with this change i don’t even want to go back there please change it back the way it was, i’m sure alot of people feel the same wya

(edited by Hector.5981)

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

i honestly don’t know why do they keep nerfing penit/shelt/plinx when people already farmed the kitten out of them in earlier months the new penit/shelt/plinx is not even worth doing anymore imo i was already farming my legendary weapon there just fine but now with this change i don’t even want to go back there please change it back the way it was, i’m sure alot of people feel the same wya

Yeah, this change is probably the worst thing they have done to the game, next to the DR system, which I can’t shake. Please change it back!