Cursed Shore Penn / Shelter Changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

The intent doesn’t seem to be making the event “more interesting” so much as driving people elsewhere, instead of, you know, making other places equally appealing.
The solution was make this area equally *un*appealing.

But hey, that works out to be kinda the same thing right?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Utico.6908

Utico.6908

This is an obscene amount of money compared to what many of us get. I might get that much gold in 2 weeks of play. I think it has less to with champions, which certainly does affect it, but it probably has more to do with the patch balancing kill credit a bit better so that high-burst damage dealers don’t have substantially better chance to get better loot. “Credit for killing creatures is now easier to receive in situations when many players are attacking a single target.” My hope was that they would dial low earners up, but if they dialed high earners down, I’m fine with that too, as long as everyone’s on an even playing field. I know last night was the first time I’ve received a rare in about a month (Since a couples days after that last major patch)…granted it could be just the post patch luck thing that tends to happen where drops seem to be typically better immediately after a major update.

As a guardian (based on a few hours one night so yea i know its not a real sample ) the drops were a lot better. If people were getting 5g a night farming pen you were rolling in it while everyone else was getting 50s if they were lucky.

A situation were some classes/players recived 10 times the reward that others recived has been corrected. Anet is not going to tweak things so every one gets 5g and certainly they arent going to change things back so a few players are rolling in cash while the rest of us are making 1000 post threads about why we get no drops.

Seeing we have been waiting 4 months for things to be evened out making 5g a night people got a 600g bonus before they fixed what Anet has now admitted was a problem.

It’s only a problem if you’re a Engineer, Ranger, or maybe a Necromancer. If people just join a group then the damage you’re doing with other members adds up. People still end up with the average 5-6 gold per hour if they did it. Now we’re just going to see Warriors, Elementalists, and Mesmers go farm CoF now. Yay, that’s just so much better is it?

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Literally all they have to do to make lower level content more appealing is make mobs drop crafting mats appropriate to your level. I want t5-t6 mats, not t1-t4.

But instead, they feel the need to nerf high level farming zones into oblivion.

Posted by: bigtime.7410

bigtime.7410

I wonder why they choose to kill popular content to try and force playerts into lessappealing content instead of adding incentives to less appealing content so that players choose that content freely.

Its all relative. Said content maybe be unappealing now but when the memory of past killed content fades, the unappealing will turn appealing. Just give it time and you’ll forget about the good content and the bad content will turn into your good content. Its like men, who kill their rivals and take their wives. The wives will be moaning and groaning at first but after a while they’ll get used to it, forget their good husbands and we’ll be the new good husband. Get it?

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

It’s only a problem if you’re a Engineer, Ranger, or maybe a Necromancer.

At least you admit it’s a problem…see the game has to work for everyone, not just a select few. I notice you didn’t mention guardians, but I assume they would all in to this category as well.

If people just join a group then the damage you’re doing with other members adds up. People still end up with the average 5-6 gold per hour if they did it. Now we’re just going to see Warriors, Elementalists, and Mesmers go farm CoF now. Yay, that’s just so much better is it?

I’m telling you, it doesn’t. I’m sure it’s a placebo effect. I’m a level 80 necro with a high end condition damage build, 600+hours and map completion and being in a group has never noticeably affected my drops. If anything I get consistently better drops solo.

Posted by: Utico.6908

Utico.6908

At least you admit it’s a problem…see the game has to work for everyone, not just a select few. I notice you didn’t mention guardians, but I assume they would all in to this category as well.

If people just join a group then the damage you’re doing with other members adds up. People still end up with the average 5-6 gold per hour if they did it. Now we’re just going to see Warriors, Elementalists, and Mesmers go farm CoF now. Yay, that’s just so much better is it?

I’m telling you, it doesn’t. I’m sure it’s a placebo effect. I’m a level 80 necro with a high end condition damage build, 600+hours and map completion and being in a group has never noticeably affected my drops. If anything I get consistently better drops solo.

My main is a guardian. It’s not a problem. You go in there and just AOE everything. I say those 3 classes, because those are the 3 weakest classes in general. If you’re in a group and you’re tagging mobs with an AOE, your combined group effort is enough for you to be getting loot, or it was.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

My main is a guardian. It’s not a problem. You go in there and just AOE everything. I say those 3 classes, because those are the 3 weakest classes in general. If you’re in a group and you’re tagging mobs with an AOE, your combined group effort is enough for you to be getting loot, or it was.

Are we sure this is how it’s supposed to work? Is there documentation somewhere stating this? I mean, I’ve been in group, I’ve been solo, and in general, my drops have been consistently garbage but better solo. At the same time, I’ve been in groups and know others this has happened to where some or all of the group will get consistently good drops, other than one two people. I know one person, a guardian, who stopped doing fractals because of this, and rarely groups at all anymore. I don’t think it’s a damage thing. When I have my full necro gear on, I can bring down an 80 mob quite effectively and tag a group of mobs down to about 1/2 life before anyone even touches it and still consistently get nothing while other consistently get good drops. I’m really hoping this patch fixes some of these damage credit issues.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Posted by: Kalowg.7659

Kalowg.7659

Day 2: Dear God this is terrible.

Not enough people to do grenth.

Came on with the soonest dragon spawning around the 2 hour mark.

Not enough time to run an instance.

Nobody doing Penn / Shelter.

Looking like I’ll have to give up affording the cultural set. Seriously what are we suppose to do to earn coin where it won’t take months to afford something?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Literally all they have to do to make lower level content more appealing is make mobs drop crafting mats appropriate to your level. I want t5-t6 mats, not t1-t4.

This is not a good idea, and would hurt everyone except those who already are past the need for T1-T4 crafting materials.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Shianna.5274

Shianna.5274

People will ALWAYS find the most efficient way to get what they need/want and do it repeatedly until it isn’t there anymore. Then they move to the next best thing and then the next best thing, and so forth. Eventually you run out of next best things…and that leads to leaving the game.

I think what is being forgotten in designing these things, from pen/shelt to the new krait stuff near Teq in Sparkfly Fen, to the changes to AC exp is that this is supposed to be a game. It is incentive-driven. No incentives=no reason to do something. Taking not only the fun out of something (with AC exp as example) but also taking the efficiency out of something (pen/shelt) is taking the GAME out of the GAME.

Please give the game back to the players. Let us have fun, Anet. It’s fun to get loot. I’m personally very loot driven and even though I have terrible RNG luck, I still get out there and farm me some pen/shelt to hope for good stuff, or run dungeons with my friends to get some gold …as in AC exp. I don’t do things that make me feel like I’m beating my head into a brick wall, especially when there’s so little incentive to do so (poor/little loot).

I am aware that the scaling is a ‘test’ for 4 events to see how it works out. I think it feels like a big failure, myself. Something else needs to be done if scaling is desired. Even if you just gave the normal mobs more health (not making them harder) it might help. But Champions go overboard and are normally a waste of effort and hit way too hard.

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I am a casual gamer who can only play a max of 10-12 hours max a week. I was actually getting really excited that I am slowly but surely grinding my way towards all the mats I needed to make my gifts and slowly making enough gold to buy my precursor dusk(still only halfway there but it was inching my way).

Now with this change they have totally screwed me. I am getting less greens/rares/bags, about half of what I was used to getting before that patch. For casual gamers who really want to get a legendary this was my last hope of getting one….thanks for nothing Anet.

I mean…as a casual I new I was in for a grind, but kitten #8230;now with pent/shelter the way it is now its going to take twice as long.

Posted by: Scorpion.1286

Scorpion.1286

Out with the new.. Too many Champs Vets (their loot is crap anyways)
Bring back our good thing we had.
Farming at Penitent/shelter not worth the effort now.
I vote to bring back what we had.
Speed up the frequency add more events. Something like that. Its about 20 to 25 minutes for events to restart.

My 2 cents worth.

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

Semi-afk farming 2 faceroll easy events should not be as rewarding as it was. Good change. Time to get your welfare checks somewhere else.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

Semi-afk farming 2 faceroll easy events should not be as rewarding as it was. Good change. Time to get your welfare checks somewhere else.

Yet speedrunning dungeons is still a thing. Either take away all means to grind or let the players be for a while.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

This is not a good idea, and would hurt everyone except those who already are past the need for T1-T4 crafting materials.

Oh right, I forgot that it was impossible to make alts and that low level characters wouldn’t benefit from a higher sale value on their materials.

Terrible, terrible idea, aye?

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Or they could make a recipe for crafters that cuts down on the cost of ‘transmuting’ one tier of mats to the next. Sort of like they let jewelers transmute the pebbles by using the dust.
Right now the MF way of upgrading mats is not appealling nor profitable or even probable to give you a decent return.
Make crafting viable again and let us upgrade mat tiers at a reasonable cost. Then you won’t need to farm lvl 80 areas only to get T6 mats.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Not noticed (much) less players doing these events though, if that was one of the aims of it (the update). Early days but I still see the ‘usual suspects’!

Posted by: Ars Valde.8693

Ars Valde.8693

Going to honestly chime in here. These are definitely the events hit by their test of the new scaling DE System and I dislike it.

The events are more difficult and engaging yes, but the champions they are throwing at us are event calibur on their own, and take a while to burn down. While you’re burning them down it actually blocks the spawn of anything further. So not only are you losing time to killing another giant sack of HP, you’re losing more loot, on TOP of said champion only dropping blues, if they drop anything at all.

I’m -fine- with increasing the difficulty, as long as you increase the reward. Give the champs a 100% chance to drop stuff, and a good chance to drop decent stuff, and I won’t complain. Getting 1-2 extra rares because I was there to focus the champs down faster while we were more likely to die is fine with me, but getting nothing for dropping these enemies, makes me wonder why I’m bothering doing anything.

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

Champions, just make these events drag on, they last way too long now and are no longer any fun.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

geez, facerolling the events with auto attack was boring as hell.

good ridance farmers! less risen in orr! (pun intended).

now, lets work on the gameplay anet, make champs CHAMPS (new troll in ac?) and not hp bags..

Posted by: Bruno.2013

Bruno.2013

I have read all the threads pertaining to this item and agree with most of it, however unless you can make Anet listen it will all fall on deaf ears. They should if nothing more listen to the players out of common decency as they feel and quite rightly so, that they have a right to have some input into the game. Many feel that the game has been spoiled by the recent changes, i.e farming the Penitent/Sheltered waypoints, I tend to agree with them as it was hard enough to make money and now it has just become a darn sight harder. Please listen to the gamers and reinstate some of the changes as change for changes sake is not always a good idea. Thank You.

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Going to honestly chime in here. These are definitely the events hit by their test of the new scaling DE System and I dislike it.

The events are more difficult and engaging yes, but the champions they are throwing at us are event calibur on their own, and take a while to burn down. While you’re burning them down it actually blocks the spawn of anything further. So not only are you losing time to killing another giant sack of HP, you’re losing more loot, on TOP of said champion only dropping blues, if they drop anything at all.

I’m -fine- with increasing the difficulty, as long as you increase the reward. Give the champs a 100% chance to drop stuff, and a good chance to drop decent stuff, and I won’t complain. Getting 1-2 extra rares because I was there to focus the champs down faster while we were more likely to die is fine with me, but getting nothing for dropping these enemies, makes me wonder why I’m bothering doing anything.

Exactly this.

Orr is running out of players because it is easier to make gold running CoF and Fracals now. They wanted to make things interesting but this change has caused the entire area to become abandoned, once again. Good luck getting a large enough group together now to try and take a temple.

Arenanet is missing the point entirely. We didn’t farm these events because it was fun. We farmed it because it was efficient. Why the need to farm, you may ask. Well, saving up for a precursor is not easy. Mystic toilet? Been there, tried that, Zommorros can kiss my kitten Point is, they, Arenanet, refuse to fix the idiotic RNG precursor BS, so people need to grind for gold to buy it off the TP. But now they made it even harder. Sure you get good gold from CoF but what if that’s not your thing? Do you really expect me to roll a new character every time there is a gimmick dungeon build/path? Yes, you do have to have the correct class running the correct build in the correct armor set – exactly like they showed you on youtube. If not, you are not doing it right. Right?

Too bad, I guess, “play the way you want to play” clearly doesn’t apply to everyone, it seems.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Dig deeper and you will find scary stuff – stuff about guild missions…

The “vocal minority” (what forum heroes call anyone who questions Arenanet’s actions) left the game in their THOUSANDS after Ascended-gate. Seems the last are about to leave…

Well done Arenanet. It takes real talent to kitten so many different people off in so many different ways.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Oh right, I forgot that it was impossible to make alts and that low level characters wouldn’t benefit from a higher sale value on their materials.

Terrible, terrible idea, aye?

Yes, it is. Because due to how the game works your alts going after Fine items dropped will steadily rise in level. Tiers will, inevitably, pass out of focus. So then you start another character . . . and eventually the only way to handle the problem is to delete a character and start over.

And lower level characters would eventually also pass beyond certain tiers and be unable to earn their materials. So the savvy ones wouldn’t be selling anyway if they ever intended on using them even in the slightest “maybe on a rainy day” way. And of course, if they want it? Better start a character and start farming. And hope you get enough drops before you leave tier 1 drop level range . . .

No. This is, as I said, not a very good idea.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Because due to how the game works your alts going after Fine items dropped will steadily rise in level. Tiers will, inevitably, pass out of focus. So then you start another character . . . and eventually the only way to handle the problem is to delete a character and start over.

Well, they could always just put in the same chance for a level appropriate upgrade as already exists for gear. Whenever I run around Queensdale doing events on my level 80 I still get plenty of low level gear drops in addition to anything that’s actually my level.

However, as I said before, the real issue is how much focus crafting has put on those materials in the first place. If recipes required less of them and more actual gathered materials (ore, wood, etc.) then it would be much easier to farm lower level zones for crafting and hopefully the value of those items would increase as well.

One of the big reasons I’ve seen for difficulty making money at low levels is because virtually nothing has any real value. You’ll always end up with way more ore/wood/cloth/leather than you need (hence why they’re so cheap in the TP) and not enough fine materials. The only other low level items of any value are rare picks off of herb nodes (vanilla beans, chili peppers, etc.), which most people save to level their cooking anyway (at least I did).

Of course, all of this in a roundabout way goes back to farming Orr because it was one of the only 3 areas (TP, CoF, Orr) in the game to make a decent amount of money.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Because due to how the game works your alts going after Fine items dropped will steadily rise in level. Tiers will, inevitably, pass out of focus. So then you start another character . . . and eventually the only way to handle the problem is to delete a character and start over.

Well, they could always just put in the same chance for a level appropriate upgrade as already exists for gear. Whenever I run around Queensdale doing events on my level 80 I still get plenty of low level gear drops in addition to anything that’s actually my level.

That’s a different mechanic as was proposed, and is not a bad idea. It would need to be weighted correctly to avoid squeezing out other drops though.

However, as I said before, the real issue is how much focus crafting has put on those materials in the first place. If recipes required less of them and more actual gathered materials (ore, wood, etc.) then it would be much easier to farm lower level zones for crafting and hopefully the value of those items would increase as well.

I’ve always, consistently said the bottleneck in crafting is the Fine materials. And especially Tier 3-4. And the real bottleneck of them is at the top edge of every tier of crafting, when you need 8 or 15 to do one piece. That eats through your stockpile fast . . .

One of the big reasons I’ve seen for difficulty making money at low levels is because virtually nothing has any real value. You’ll always end up with way more ore/wood/cloth/leather than you need (hence why they’re so cheap in the TP) and not enough fine materials. The only other low level items of any value are rare picks off of herb nodes (vanilla beans, chili peppers, etc.), which most people save to level their cooking anyway (at least I did).

The danger of increasing the value of things at lower levels, even in the player market, is where it goes from there. It winds up being a problem of a different sort, how letting people at lower levels have more cash on hand affects things. Someone else can take that one, because I’m fairly certain nobody’s going to take me seriously when I say “having more money in circulation is not always a good thing”.

Of course, all of this in a roundabout way goes back to farming Orr because it was one of the only 3 areas (TP, CoF, Orr) in the game to make a decent amount of money.

It would go right back to that after things stabilized, in all situations I can dream up, as soon as things settle into new pricing ranges . . . it will inevitably be more profitable to do these things rather than others.

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

The danger of increasing the value of things at lower levels, even in the player market, is where it goes from there. It winds up being a problem of a different sort, how letting people at lower levels have more cash on hand affects things. Someone else can take that one, because I’m fairly certain nobody’s going to take me seriously when I say “having more money in circulation is not always a good thing”.

There’s really nothing to buy at low levels. It’s at 80 when the need for gold hits you like a ton of bricks. I suppose not everyone would know that they should be saving/investing for when that time comes though.

I don’t know what the answer is. It just bothers me that things are so expensive and there are so few ways to earn enough income for them. I can’t even say I’m unhappy about Orr being nerfed, although, I think they should have nerfed CoF in conjunction with it. At least it would (theoretically) put everyone but the TP players on a more even earning playing field.

farming the same spot need to be nerfed for the sake of the game and mmos in general.

i dont really care if some players have more ressources, basically theyre all shooting for items i dont want (legendary stuff) so thats basically the only thing inflating.
i find the rest of the stuff is staying consistent, or only slowly changing.

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

I feel sorry for anyone who is trying to complete the Orr maps now. Almost all way points are contested all the time and there are now even more enemies than ever before. I tried to do an event in Cursed Shore this morning, there were 16 enemies just standing there with everyone else dead. I use to be able to do some of the events solo, now it’s just a waste of time.

Posted by: Hector.5981

Hector.5981

they should change it back the way it was… alot of people are just being trolls by saying “good, penit/shelt needed more nerfs, get kitten you grinders etc etc” that’s just hate because they don’t like grinding in a lvl 80 zone or something in my opinion, this event needs to get either increased mob spawn or less champions, everyone i know hates this update on these events, i’d rather farm in orr rather than do cof p1 a million times a day… once again please change it back… also can someone confirm/deny if they are going to change it back to the pre-patch events? ty

Posted by: bomber.1540

bomber.1540

@ hector.. have you noticed how great the loot is for chest drops now.. roam around the world looting chests and you will have a alot more gold from all the rares you will get.
also, there are plently of places to get good spawns for t5+6 mats. .. even the other DE’s around orr are great.. also i got 35 large claws from 1 DE (megadestoyer)

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

The intent of the update was to make it so that the events would scale up in difficulty while giving the same rewards as it usually did before the update. However, all this change has done is increased the difficulty while decreasing the rewards. It’s still farmable but no where close to what it was like. People are being driven away from it, which makes this change a complete failure.

Posted by: Hector.5981

Hector.5981

@ hector.. have you noticed how great the loot is for chest drops now.. roam around the world looting chests and you will have a alot more gold from all the rares you will get.
also, there are plently of places to get good spawns for t5+6 mats. .. even the other DE’s around orr are great.. also i got 35 large claws from 1 DE (megadestoyer)

i haven’t really done any chest events yet but i saw some other people complaining about it, i would have to try them out, on the other hand i get the point of “exploring other areas” and stuff but like that’s a lvl 80 map where people farmed the kitten out of penit/shelt event for a long time and now it gets this change wich in my opinion it’s too late to be made.. i see no point in nerfing it even more since they took way too long to do so and people already got ALOT of stuff out of it

Posted by: mikeybakes.3089

mikeybakes.3089

I enjoy the idea of being able to take on champs, however I do believe that there is no reward in doing this event (why not even increase the karma in the event change?).

I don’t see why people frown on farming as it’s a time honoured tradition in RPG’s going back to the first Ultima and Final Fantasy games. It’s how you get better gear. I’m totally against botting but if people are willing to be online and do the same thing over and over again why should they be punished for it?

Discouraging this in order to make things more interesting isn’t helping the popularity of this game which has suffered immensely since the January 28th patch and is now getting worse. For challenges I play WvW or dungeons, for farming to equip my characters I have my go-to spots.

If the goal is to move more people away for the penitent path and in to living story, for instance, don’t add events where you have to light fires and fix signs, that’s an insult to the gamers intelligence and kick in the nuts to previously hardcore fans like myself.

By reducing the reward over time/effort you’re really just saying that you don’t want people to play any more and people will go elsewhere.

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

Before the patch I ran around in orr between the penshelt events. Now Im staring at the boss timer app, planning my wp:ing…and if my daily is done I just stand at boss camp waiting, perhaps killing the occasional low level mob…Imo I played the game more actively before the patch.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I hope they don’t insist on keeping the Champions. I can’t do daily dungeon speed-runs or fractals because I’m legally blind and often sick, and those things require a lot more focus than I can often manage. Farming Orr let me work towards stuff at a slower pace, with less pressure on the group.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Codo.2860

Codo.2860

These changes doesn’t seem such a big problem to me. I spent a couple of hours in Orr yesterday night and the drops in Penitent/Shelter were not so bad. Probably it will be hard now to make 4-5 gold/hour like before but I doubt there are better places to farm still. I also did Melandru and Grenth hoping for some good drop but I only got a couple of rares from each chest: these daily events seems now more rewarding than before to me but still far from being a steady source of gold.

Posted by: Vinny.6924

Vinny.6924

No surprise the Devs have stayed completely out of this thread.

Its not going back to the old way. This is the new camp events. A month from now these wps will be perma contested and no one will be around.

Same thing happened to Plinx now. All he does is stand there all day til someone who knows nothing about it says “event up by R and D”. RIP Plinx.

Also there was more outrage and people quitting when Plinx was nerfed and guess what?

Not one Dev response except deal with it.

Commander Ahria – Warrior – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I don’t think you guys get it. The point of events is that they all have roughly equivalent challenge and reward for the zones they are in. The point is that you shouldn’t feel it’s a good call to stand in one place and do the same stuff over and over again.

Plinx, penn/shelter, centaur bridge, etc. were outliers simply because of their design. Any event that hinges around large waves of enemies was originally designed to make the challenge a large wave of enemies, not designed to be a better source of loot. Sadly, the scaling was never right, so the largest waves of enemies simply drew the largest waves of players, which completely trivialized the events and turned the mobs in to worthless pinatas.

Arenanet doesn’t consciously design “farming spots” because they don’t want you farming in “spots” they want you farming via “adventuring” as in, going out, running around, looking for different events to do, and doing them because they’re fun, or because they’re next to that resource node, or because you hit them on the way to a merchant.

This is why they limit rewards from the same dungeon path, and this is why they’re making events scale better.

Now, there ARE problems with the implementation of vets/champs in event scaling however. Basically, the point of events was always meant to be the event rewards, not the mob loot. However, the event rewards have always, always, since launch always sucked. Thus, people used certain events as a farm for the drops.

The scaling needs to stay challenging, and I’d like to see the new penn/shelter scaling experiment proliferatred throughout the game, but not if event rewards aren’t boosted to account for the fact that gasp you might actually fail some events now.

You know those “screen chests” you get when you do zone completions, monthlies, and dailies? Why not just attach one to events, and make event-spawned mobs not drop loot at all? Then you’ve got a perfect system where people are actually doing events to… finish the event rather than to farm loot. People that want to farm loot can still farm loot from ambient mobs where the spawn and drop rates are tuned to what Anet obviously considers reasonable.

Yes, you used to get more loot from penn/shelter. No, that wasn’t the point of penn/shelter, and it was obvious it would get fixed eventually.

IMO events should simply be more rewarding than the mobs they spawn, which would encourage people to do events they like in stead of the events that are just a good farm.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: schwaahly.3254

schwaahly.3254

Ya they really screwed this area hard .. I really do enjoy the addition of the champs makes the events more interesting for sure . but they take the place of mobs spawning and require a lot to bring down for kitten rewards.. I guess so what’s the difference of people doing that event over and over than the new chest that is giving more rares now than I ever got doing a pen/shelt run

Posted by: Arimahn.3568

Arimahn.3568

Arenanet doesn’t consciously design “farming spots” because they don’t want you farming in “spots” they want you farming via “adventuring” as in, going out, running around, looking for different events to do, and doing them because they’re fun, or because they’re next to that resource node, or because you hit them on the way to a merchant.

Which would be perfectly fine and acceptable to people if it wasn’t for the fact that Orr as an endgame zone is still awful, even with the changes.

Players always try to find the path of least resistance to a given problem. Except, in this case, it felt more like the least tedious path.

PopeUrban.2578

Which would be perfectly fine and acceptable to people if it wasn’t for the fact that Orr as an endgame zone is still awful, even with the changes.

Players always try to find the path of least resistance to a given problem. Except, in this case, it felt more like the least tedious path.

Oh I’m not disputing that Orr doesn’t have a lot to differentiate itself from every other zone mechanically. I’m one of the people that liked the old mob density, and I really liked (when they worked) the warpath event system… and I thought more could be done with that.

There’s a big ‘ol thread about using WvW dynamics in PvE endgame and I like it’s tone, although a lot of it’s specifics are bad.

The point here is that yes, people will always find the path of least resistance (FYI, it’s now autoattacking world bosses… and it’s awesome) but when you’re staring down something like the farm events that have been one by one fixed and you get mad when they get fixed I find it’s a very selfish outlook.

People upset over the plinx fix, or the new penn/shelter fixes are mad that their literally too good to be true farming spot got nerfed. They don’t care what’s actually good for the game or what makes the entire game fun to play. If all of Orr was the tunnel area… you’d be kitten You’d say “Hey, this map is horrid there’s nothing to do but farm these waves of mobs” (Actually, people do say that about Orr already, although it isn’t exactly true)

When you look at something as obviously broken as penn/shelter farming you should know that it’s going to get fixed. Those new AoE circles? Those Champs? Those are an attempt to make content that’s more resistant and fun to complete. This is a good thing. The loot? It sucks, but it only sucks because event rewards in general suck. Comparing aoe farm loot from one event to another (and the new events scaled as such are really other events) are what led to these event farming hotspots in the first place. What we need is an across the board buff to event rewards to make every event feel rewarding. Karma is already in a good place with the jewelry boxes, but items and cash are in the toilet.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

It’s funny. Just before I logged with the new build to fix the mystic forge weapons I was farming pent/shelt and a guy in our party pretty much summed it up with: they killed it. Pent/shelt has been a regular part of my play since I first hit 80, even in the old ‘annoying’ Orr. I really don’t feel like going back to the new/improved Orr.

Pent/Shelt/Plinx are about scratching out the meager rations of a poorly designed loot system to begin with. The addition of Champs to a farming area is just a headscratcher. First of all they drop squat. Because they take forever to kill, they remove you from the opportunity to kill other more lucrative mobs. It’s like the people who implemented this have never actually played the game. I’m sorry, but I’m serious. No one who understands gaming and GW2 would ever think to change Orr in this manner. If I were in a development meeting it would take me about 2 seconds to understand that it was a bad idea. Who are the people making these decisions?

What was meager gold earnings before the improvement is now pretty much like what Champs drop…squat. I honestly don’t know if I’ll go back.

Honestly I think that’s the whole point. They’ve increased loot so much in other parts of the game — world bosses are dropping rares and named exotics and they take just a few minutes to kill and then you can move on. Regular event mobs in mid-level areas have increased rare drops, there will soon be bonus gold from guilds… You don’t HAVE to just run between two spots doing the same things over and over now. You can venture out into the world and make the money that you used to make between Pent-Shelter. If you haven’t gone and killed the Maw and the Flame Shaman yet you should give it a go. I think you’ll be very pleasantly surprised. Besides, it’s much prettier there

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

I totally disagree. I run around LESS now that I wp between bosses, than when I did penshelt. I used to run around in the map between the events, gathering, other events, daily. I rather not do any of that in low level areas if i can do them in orr. So there i am wasting time waiting for boss to spawn.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It’s funny that those champs they added give the same loot as normal mobs (but taking 10 times longer to kill) making most players ignore them until the normal mobs have been taken care off first…

Posted by: Sorcerer.3095

Sorcerer.3095

You know those “screen chests” you get when you do zone completions, monthlies, and dailies? Why not just attach one to events, and make event-spawned mobs not drop loot at all? Then you’ve got a perfect system where people are actually doing events to… finish the event rather than to farm loot.

Excellent idea! The xp and karma reward from events is good, but the money you get is laughable…the monetary / item reward from an event should not all come from drops only. Regular events should have a screen chest (stuff inside should match diffculty and length of the event) and meta events keep the big chest.

Before the patch I ran around in orr between the penshelt events. Now Im staring at the boss timer app, planning my wp:ing…and if my daily is done I just stand at boss camp waiting, perhaps killing the occasional low level mob…Imo I played the game more actively before the patch.

just sad.

i really feel thats what guild wars 2 is becoming….

It’s funny that those champs they added give the same loot as normal mobs (but taking 10 times longer to kill) making most players ignore them until the normal mobs have been taken care off first…

it isnt about gameplay, its a LOOT game.

and it will die as one unless they can find a way to make the utmost challenging content also the most rewarding.

Posted by: markic.4359

markic.4359

people dont realize….like every good company anet is looking how to make more money…there are still plenty of people that work and dont have more then 2hours a day to play the game so they buy ingame stuff with rl money….
letting farmers farm all they want is not something that benefits them…
thats why they come with stuff like DR and nerfing best farming spots

DR is a lie….it doesnt stop or discover bots at all….who ever is botting…they will keep doing it with DR or without….it just stops farmers and hard workers getting normal loot all of the time.

eventualy after some time there will be more and more people leaveing the game and anet will have to do something to attract newcomers and old people back to game

i saw it happen with xx mmorpgs…so lets just wait and hope it happen soon

its a bit too late already.

legendaries shouldnt have been implemented as they were.
they are a burden the game need to carry right now.
the “endgame goal” is farmable… quite sad.

PopeUrban.2578

people dont realize….like every good company anet is looking how to make more money…there are still plenty of people that work and dont have more then 2hours a day to play the game so they buy ingame stuff with rl money….
letting farmers farm all they want is not something that benefits them…
thats why they come with stuff like DR and nerfing best farming spots

DR is a lie….it doesnt stop or discover bots at all….who ever is botting…they will keep doing it with DR or without….it just stops farmers and hard workers getting normal loot all of the time.

eventualy after some time there will be more and more people leaveing the game and anet will have to do something to attract newcomers and old people back to game

i saw it happen with xx mmorpgs…so lets just wait and hope it happen soon

The whole “it’s because money and gems” argument is getting stale. Everything in the game doesn’t revolve around gem sales. Sales in the TP and the lunacy that is black lion chests revolve around gem sales.

They designed some events and a scaling system with a much smaller base of sample users before release. The found out really fast that their events scaled poorly, turning said events in to all-reward no-risk encounters. This is disruptive to the overall game design, and more importantly, just plain isn’t fun to play and in the case of some builds, is actually very frustrating for some players while being very rewarding for others.

When you have a car with four tires and one goes flat, you fix that tire. Not because you’re trying to sell the car, or because you’re a taxi driver, but because it’s a car and it’s intended to work in a certain fashion and it isn’t.