DX11 or DX12>DX9 Engine Please!!! AMD

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mirion.9361

Mirion.9361

Like Comon why havnt we get gotten a new Engine yet!! and before yall open your mouths i know this was said before but i ask you guys just why havnt we not gotten a new Engine.I dont ask for much but us XFX users are suffering from bad FPS which is messing up our Gameplay.Better yet would of been better to bring Dx 11 to the Game After HoT

Attachments:

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Because it would be expensive, and they haven’t determined that the trade-off in development resources would be better spent there than on developing new content.

I don’t know what kind of answer you’re expecting.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Mirion.9361

Because it would be expensive, and they haven’t determined that the trade-off in development resources would be better spent there than on developing new content.

i suspect better performance in my gameplay and this DX9 is interfering with it.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

i suspect better performance in my gameplay and this DX9 is interfering with it.

Expectation is not entitlement. Just because you would like the game to perform better doesn’t mean that Arenanet is going to decide to pour the time, money, and resource into creating a DX11 client. The game is running on a reworked version of the GW1 engine, I imagine that making it DX11 compatible is a very arduous and costly process.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

Yeah, but at some point if Anet wants to push their development beyond its current state having a engine that performs better could give devs the room they need to implement even bigger and better content without worrying as much about current performance limitations.

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

Like Comon why havnt we get gotten a new Engine yet!! and before yall open your mouths i know this was said before but i ask you guys just why havnt we not gotten a new Engine.I dont ask for much but us XFX users are suffering from bad FPS which is messing up our Gameplay.Better yet would of been better to bring Dx 11 to the Game After HoT

You obviously don’t know the amount of work that would be required to switch from DX9 to DX11 if the base engine wasn’t already programmed with a way to do said switch. I am guessing it wasn’t and would take way to much resources to do any time soon.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

They already explained why on reddit a while ago. Doesnt mean it wont happen, but the upshot is due to how their engine works, they dont believe there would be a signicant upgrade in performance.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

There are quite lot of people here who don’t even work for anet commenting on how much work it would be to work in adding Dx11 support…

Dx11 is several years old already and many other games out there have been making use of it. It does make a difference, and it’s really tiresome to keep seeing a bunch of people making excuses for anet. If they’re gonna make excuses, then let them do it.

Currently there’s pretty much no way to guarantee a decent framerate in highly-concentrated zerg fights on this game whereas on other game that I’ve tried, XIV, the game runs much smoother in areas with high concentration of players. Sure, this is attributed to a lot more than just Dx11 but the fact remains that we could be getting a lot better performance than we’re getting on here in some scenarios and it’s certainly something worth requesting.

Either way, this topic is always the same thing… a few people claim that they want the game to run on Dx11, and then like 20+ people claiming “they don’t have the resources, stop being self-entitiled!” and it’s getting annoying.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

More importantly, from what little we know the codebase is both huge and an absolute mess. As it is with any codebase older than ~20 minutes.

Re-doing it would take ages.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

There are quite lot of people here who don’t even work for anet commenting on how much work it would be to work in adding Dx11 support…

Dx11 is several years old already and many other games out there have been making use of it. It does make a difference, and it’s really tiresome to keep seeing a bunch of people making excuses for anet. If they’re gonna make excuses, then let them do it.

Currently there’s pretty much no way to guarantee a decent framerate in highly-concentrated zerg fights on this game whereas on other game that I’ve tried, XIV, the game runs much smoother in areas with high concentration of players. Sure, this is attributed to a lot more than just Dx11 but the fact remains that we could be getting a lot better performance than we’re getting on here in some scenarios and it’s certainly something worth requesting.

Either way, this topic is always the same thing… a few people claim that they want the game to run on Dx11, and then like 20+ people claiming “they don’t have the resources, stop being self-entitiled!” and it’s getting annoying.

And there are quite a number of people who don’t work for ANet saying it’s easy and should have been done already.

The primary benefit from Dx11’s rework of Dx10, and Dx10 has some significant changes over Dx9, is that Dx11 is primarily thread safe, meaning the rendering code could be broken up into multiple threads where each thread could call the Dx11 API and not step on each other. Which in turn can take advantage of CPUs that have the ability to run more than four threads at the same time.

Of course it doesn’t matter if the ANet engine dev in their reddit thread specifically said that it’s only rarely that the renderer, the code that uses the API and the time spent in the API, is what’s limiting the frame rate. The Dev goes on and says that their data and code isn’t thread safe which currently prevents them from adding more threads to speed divide and conquer the code that is the current bottleneck to performance. They are working through the existing code to thread safe the data but it’s a slow process. Don’t forget that the game engine was modified from the original Guild Wars game series and created in the earliest days of ArenaNet, over 10 years ago, likely closer to 15.

Now switching from Dx9 to Dx11 without fixing these other issues first with their code, it will not buy us much. Even looking at the screenshot in the OP from whatever Batman Arkum that was, with the exception of the displacement mapping/tessellation on the left side “column” I don’t see any visual improvement. Maybe higher rez texture or filtering or anti-aliasing mode. But considering 98% of the time playing, my character is less than 15% the height of my screen, additional rendering fidelity isn’t really going to be noticed.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

More importantly, from what little we know the codebase is both huge and an absolute mess. As it is with any codebase older than ~20 minutes.

If it was easy to follow it wouldn’t be called “code”. – old programmer adage.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I think, that they think that it’s not a real selling point, so not worth the time.

I think they are wrong. It looks like they did not think the action camera was a real selling point as it was never mentioned in any of the HoT announcements and it’s not on their list of things that come with HoT http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com .

However, now the Action Camera a lot of people are really interested in, and it might very well be a selling point. Same would be true for DirectX 11 / 12 imho. Not to mention that if you want to keep the game up to date you will have to also upgrade these sorts of things.

But to answer your question, I think they did not see that upgrade as an investment that would pay them back.

Purple Miku.7032

Quoting me for that is pointless. I read that reddit post the same day he posted it, it still changes nothing about what I said and that’s that all of the people posting saying it’s too much work are making excuses on behalf of them when it’s not their place to do so.

The exact same claim could be made about any other single suggestion for an update because whether or not something is “too much work” is subjective, and it doesn’t even pertain to the people who are making all of the ridiculous posts about it because they don’t even work on the game… they’re merely players.

Posted by: Sonic the Hedgehog.5169

Sonic the Hedgehog.5169

In laymens terms, GW2’s has a Spaghetti Code. Then GW2 is in much of a mess as Champions Online is (Developed by Cryptic Studios).

Sonic’s the name, speeds my game!
[img]http://i.imgur.com/jgensFl.png[/img]

Posted by: Sonic the Hedgehog.5169

Sonic the Hedgehog.5169

I kind of think if they had not updated there engine beacuse they made it, We all still be on GW1.

Sonic’s the name, speeds my game!
[img]http://i.imgur.com/jgensFl.png[/img]

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

first and foremost, why not dx12? dx12 runs WAY more efficient than dx11 ever could hope.

but you have to realize an engine change to something like dx11-dx12 requires a complete code rewrite… see anarchy online, they’ve been porting from dx8 to a higher dx and it took them years to port the game over, not even sure if it’s done yet.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

So, uh, I do this kind of stuff for a living. I can’t say exactly why anet isn’t interested in upgrading, but I can offer some common reasons I or my clients have not immediately switched to newer API versions in the past.

Because switching to a completely separate graphics API is not a matter of just changing a few variables in most cases. It often requires replacing large sections of depreciated code, and this process is generally more complex the bigger a version jump you are making.

Because designing effects and assets to take advantage of any new rendering features may make current installs unplayable, which means you’re not actually taking advantage of the most marketable features of the API upgrade (new rendering features, material pipelines, or performance enhancements that would allow you to cram more polygons, textures, shader passes, or other visual data on screen)

Because MMOs in general don’t like to demand their users to upgrade to experience updated content. it’s far more likely to lose more players than it gains.

Because art direction contributes more to the overall aesthetic quality of a game than shader technology.

Because no matter what it requires engineers to stop working on new things in order to retrofit an old thing.

Anets reasons could be any or none of these, but it’s not uncommon to “version lock” any external programming APIs the minute a new version conflicts with internal code just to simplify your pipeline.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Purple Miku.7032

first and foremost, why not dx12? dx12 runs WAY more efficient than dx11 ever could hope.

Well you also have to consider the fact that Dx12 requires windows 10, which many people are not willing to get.

Posted by: kirima san.3760

kirima san.3760

You do realise that upgrading the engine to DX11 would leave out all of the people already playing on DX9 and DX10 only machines right?. As there is a huge player base on DX 9 and 10 only machines. (WinXP and Vista, plus some Win7s)

And if you think maintaining two versions where one runs on DX11 and the other on DX10, (or 3 versions if DX9 only WinXP people should play) is easy, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Say goodbye to future expansions with the size of their team…

Mirion.9361

You do realise that upgrading the engine to DX11 would leave out all of the people already playing on DX9 and DX10 only machines right?. As there is a huge player base on DX 9 and 10 only machines. (WinXP and Vista, plus some Win7s)

And if you think maintaining two versions where one runs on DX11 and the other on DX10, (or 3 versions if DX9 only WinXP people should play) is easy, you have no idea what you are talking about.

i dont understand why you cant buy a better PC unless your making minimum wage?

Posted by: Astrella.8930

Astrella.8930

People have various expenses. And it’s not only a case of not wanting to, it’s also a case of a) buying a new computer for a single game is not going to be a high priority expense for a lot of people b) lots of people (very rightfully so) won’t buy a new computer for a single game, thus causing Arenenet to lose players.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Much of the competition will be releasing in DirectX 11 and 12, and for around the same price as the HoT expansion too. Already WoW has a 64-bit client.

Agemnon.4608

People have various expenses. And it’s not only a case of not wanting to, it’s also a case of a) buying a new computer for a single game is not going to be a high priority expense for a lot of people b) lots of people (very rightfully so) won’t buy a new computer for a single game, thus causing Arenenet to lose players.

The idea is to buy parts over time. For example I’m saving up for a Pascal GPU, but am expecting it around June of 2016 so I have plenty of time to buy an external 2TB HDD (I have Windows 10 which is known for spying so old copyrighted Youtube stuff could get flagged somehow) from an internal 1TB HDD and upgrade to a gold rated 1000w PSU from Seasonic or similar from 750w just in case I get the GTX 1070 for SLI or moving over to AMD if Arctic Islands smashes Nvidia this time around as far as price to performance goes. 2015 seems to be an AMD year but I think 2016 will see Nvidia drastically leapfrog. The mid-range AMD cards released this year weren’t just 290’s with extra RAM added but more like refreshes (e.g., like going from a 4770k to a 4790k), but that’s still disappointing compared to a die shrink though.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

They already explained why on reddit a while ago. Doesnt mean it wont happen, but the upshot is due to how their engine works, they dont believe there would be a signicant upgrade in performance.

Here is the post :
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ajnso/bad_optimalization_in_gw2/csdnn3n

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

kirima san.3760

Because as a business its really stupid to tell perhaps a million of your users “screw you you have to all buy a new graphics cards and upgrade your OS in order to continue to play the game so that a small minority with the latest cards can be happy”

Agemnon.4608

Because as a business its really stupid to tell perhaps a million of your users “screw you you have to all buy a new graphics cards and upgrade your OS in order to continue to play the game so that a small minority with the latest cards can be happy”

DirectX11 would be a reasonable compromise though. You could use it on Windows 7 systems (old OS) while enabling a 64-bit client to minimize Tequatl crashes. Playing on the lowest possible settings (and still having a risk of crashing) just isn’t fun.

If someone’s system is too lousy to play a game made in the 10s then they should just buy old games off Steam. You can even buy very old school 16-bit games off Steam in bundles.

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

I cannot tell the difference between the pictures you posted lol

kirima san.3760

DirectX11 would be a reasonable compromise though. You could use it on Windows 7 systems (old OS) while enabling a 64-bit client to minimize Tequatl crashes. Playing on the lowest possible settings (and still having a risk of crashing) just isn’t fun.

If someone’s system is too lousy to play a game made in the 10s then they should just buy old games off Steam. You can even buy very old school 16-bit games off Steam in bundles.

DX11 is for Windows 8 and above, Direct3D is a version that works on Windows 7 but its not the same.

It would not be a reasonable compromise. Imagine the kittenstorm when Vista and Windows 7 users come to the forum complaining how they bought the game for the published requirements and now suddenly cant play it so that those 10 guys complaining can notice a difference.

None of you seem to understand a thing about how DirectX works nor how to run a business.

(edited by kirima san.3760)

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

and before yall open your mouths

What difference would it make whether or not we opened our mouths sitting in front of the keyboard?

Agemnon.4608

DX11 is for Windows 8 and above, Direct3D is a version that works on Windows 7 but its not the same.

It would not be a reasonable compromise. Imagine the kittenstorm when Vista and Windows 7 users come to the forum complaining how they bought the game for the published requirements and now suddenly cant play it so that those 10 guys complaining can notice a difference.

None of you seem to understand a thing about how DirectX works nor how to run a business.

DirectX9 is dinosaur stuff though. I know enough to know that superior products sell better. We’re in the 4k era, you gotta change with the times man.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Haha .. thought the same. After a while i noticed some stones on the left are
thicker on one of the pictures .. but i still have no clue what tha picture
should show us

Else i would say that a 64-Bit Client would have higher priority in my eyes
than another DX version, since that would at least help against OOM crashes
with maxed graphics.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

kirima san.3760

DirectX9 is dinosaur stuff though. I know enough to know that superior products sell better. We’re in the 4k era, you gotta change with the times man.

You can render 4K with DX9.

It is old, but when millions of your users sit on it, you dont tell them “spend 300-500 bucks for graphics card and OS to continue palying, or go to our competitors”.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Neither can I.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

You know if they rework the code they can keep the dx9 option and let people pick between different rendering options. That way if you don’t want to or can’t utilize dx12 then you can keep on playing as usual.

Also 64-bit client would be nice. Right now using max settings on gw2 with a high end machine will result in a crash during large events because of the 32-bit client limitations, not the machine.

Agemnon.4608

You can render 4K with DX9.

It is old, but when millions of your users sit on it, you dont tell them “spend 300-500 bucks for graphics card and OS to continue palying, or go to our competitors”.

I know, I even rendered 8k with it when I had Windows 7 (was a literal slideshow however but did it for the screenshots uploaded picture for proof) but it does poorly in Windows 10 where it keeps crashing due to needing compatibility mode. And 500 and even 300 dollars is an exaggeration since those cards would be optional, there would be lower end cards that would handle the game just fine and higher DirectX versions don’t mean you need a better card but it makes better use of the resources the card has.

Attachments:

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

It is funny how people think the game’s look would change by JUST moving to DX11. DirectX is a set of tools and they allow developers to create something with that tool. So developers could create new effects if using DX11, but the effects won’t create themselves.

And, as others have said, going to DX11 just for the looks is not cool. If ANet were to improve their engine, then let DX12 be it or, better yet, Vulkan. Vulkan is cross platform and not controlled by Microsoft. That means any Windows version (not just Win10), Macs and possibly Linux could run the game with very very little modifications.

(edited by Rash.6514)

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

As far as I’m concerned the dev’s comments are moot point and I question his knowledge of DX. Another dev said in a Q/A for fan site before release of core game that none of the devs have DX skills in their skill set when asked if gw2 will have DX11 on release, so take it as a grain of salt either way IDC!

GW1 and GW2 uses Havok engine although heavily modified, they still can get allot of support directly from Havok.

Who knows maybe some hope (MAYBE) as Anet they are hiring/looking for a
Sr. Graphics Programmer
https://www.arena.net/

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Unless a prepurchase of DX11 was in the gemstore for 10,000gems with a target goal to unlock, this will never, ever, happen.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

A smart business would never think that way if they intend to keep their fans methinks lol

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Forget about a DX11 client they need to make a DX 12 one :P

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

This is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX#DirectX_11

Direct3D falls under the DirectX header. DirectX 11 is supported by Vista and newer Windows operating systems. It also includes options to allow some DX11 options to be run on DX 9-10.1 hardware; such as multi-threaded resource handling.

Whether or not this makes business sense is another thing.

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

The game could do much better even with the engine it has now, it just needs to be optimized better, but that requires allot of work. Moving to DX11/DX12 would see even more, the over all complexity of the game is on the low end, yet we have new titles and far more complex renderings hitting much better frame rates on the same HW, that is because of improvements in software.

However, being that GW2 is a hacked up version of their own GW1 engine, it would probably involve an almost full rewrite and would be easier to just move the game to a whole new engine to start with. These days there are many off the shelf and capable engines to pick from, in many cases it makes less and less sense to make your own, however anet already had an engine on hand that worked, and they didn’t need the abilities or power of new engines, so they probably saved a good bit of money by making some changes to the engine to get what they wanted from it.

The game works, and plays for most people just fine, would i like to see improvements? absolutely, and if they are taking input or votes, I will gladly give mine. I see 100FPS+ in most content, that will nose drive in big WvW fights (most settings maxed, other than culling that is set to high), I often drop into the 40’s in mass fights, which is more than playable, though everyone else I know does not have close to what I am running and some see single digits, but those same people would not see much of a gain from DX11/DX12 because their HW does not support it. The biggest problem I have is skill lag in those fights, you have some 60vs60vs60 fights and skill lag hits the whole map, but this is a server problem from my understanding, my FPS never drop under 40, and my ping is a steady 24ms, yet skills will take 1-2min to cast, if they ever cast at all. I don’t know if this is a lack of having enough back-end processing power, or a limit of the games back-end.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

There is basically no difference between OPs two screen shots.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Wrong! One has “PC (DX9)” in the bottom left corner and the other has “PC (DX11)” in the bottom right corner.

Mirion.9361

Dx11 and Dx12 are sharper graphics and better performance for the pc.

Posted by: Evga.2471

Evga.2471

Can we see a 64-bit version of Guild Wars 2?

Haven’t had my coffee yet and I’m just a little brain dead today.

(edited by Evga.2471)

Mirion.9361

Can we see a 64-bit version of Guild Wars 2?

That what im saying!!

Behellagh.1468

Wrong! One has “PC (DX9)” in the bottom left corner and the other has “PC (DX11)” in the bottom right corner.

Like I said, maybe a little better lighting and the displacement mapping / tessellation on the green thing on the left.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Like I said, maybe a little better lighting and the displacement mapping / tessellation on the green thing on the left.

Yeah. The one of the left had a little bit of glare. It’s not a very apparent difference in graphics unlike the Xbox vs ps4 versions of that one game where you hack technology. Too lazy to look it up to find the name.

Edit: I think it was Watch Dogs.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)