Dailies!

Dailies!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

This example goes to the real heart of the event debate…people don’t really want to learn the game.

How many world-class players are there at any given video-game? A handful. Even the biggest games really don’t have that many A-level or Platinum Level players. This turns out to be a natural phenomenon because players play games to relax, not to master, so looking on GW2 wiki to find a potato farm in Ascalon is really not anyone’s given goal.

I don’t think anyone has ever searched “Best way to collect potatoes in GW2”. Though I may very well be wrong. My point is that you aren’t wrong but you expect more than what is reasonable from a source of entertainment. Just because you play Chess does not make you aspire to be a Grandmaster, just because you play a 1 player RPG doesn’t make you aspire to be 100% complete with the world record for some boss on a character no one uses, and just because you play Poker doesn’t mean you want to throw your entire life into betting.

Sometimes it’s just a game.

My issue comes in to play when people don’t bother looking and then go “bad design” when it’s right there when simple map completion shows you much, if not all, of the things talked about in this thread. You don’t have to be an A+ gamer to know any of this stuff.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

This example goes to the real heart of the event debate…people don’t really want to learn the game.

How many world-class players are there at any given video-game? A handful. Even the biggest games really don’t have that many A-level or Platinum Level players. This turns out to be a natural phenomenon because players play games to relax, not to master, so looking on GW2 wiki to find a potato farm in Ascalon is really not anyone’s given goal.

I don’t think anyone has ever searched “Best way to collect potatoes in GW2”. Though I may very well be wrong. My point is that you aren’t wrong but you expect more than what is reasonable from a source of entertainment. Just because you play Chess does not make you aspire to be a Grandmaster, just because you play a 1 player RPG doesn’t make you aspire to be 100% complete with the world record for some boss on a character no one uses, and just because you play Poker doesn’t mean you want to throw your entire life into betting.

My issue comes in to play when people don’t bother looking and then go “bad design” when it’s right there when simple map completion shows you much, if not all, of the things talked about in this thread. You don’t have to be an A+ gamer to know any of this stuff.

Conversely if you did map completion a couple of years ago and only have one character and you don’t scour the maps constantly, it can be easily expected to forget where the potato farm is, if you even remember that there is a potato farm.

As for zone specific event completer, I think it would be better served removing the starter zones from them. They’re the zones most at risk of not being able to get credit due to too many around.

Or like how the PvP class wins are Elementalist or Ranger wins, they could make it Queensdale or Cursed Shore event completer.

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

…sometimes foraging is troublesome in Ascalon, but alas)

This one thing is part of the reason why I have an issue with all the complaints. How can foraging be troublesome in Ascalon when there is a potato farm in Ashford that never moves because it is permanent and has been there for years?

This example goes to the real heart of the event debate…people don’t really want to learn the game. They want to rush in and get things done. Problem is, that is often the slowest way to do things.

It also goes to show people will complain about anything. People even complain when Anet gives free things out to everyone.

I would say thanks for sharing this knowledge, but apparently you said a bit too much. I’m sure you’re perfectly knowledgeable about all trivia in this game?

I’m not really sure why you had to blow a offhand comment out of proportion to rant about the ills and laziness of the player base. I’ll take responsibility for my own ignorance; you can leave everyone out of this. It’s almost like you had nothing of value to reply otherwise.

I bring up troublesome because Ascalon is far from where I normally am, and it can cost a penny or two more than other locations. I have a lot more valuable plants to gather than potatoes mind you. Plus I don’t like the visuals of the zone itself. These are fairly minor issues, which is why this so called complaint doesn’t have me demanding more nodes in Ascalon.

This one thing is part of the reason why I have an issue with all the responses to complaints. People don’t actually read the entirety of people’s post and make up their intentions.

It also goes to show you that people will defend Anet about anything. Even when the critics aren’t actually hating the game.

Anyhow, thanks anyways. I’ve tried several iterations of this post but found it hard to keep a straight face. So, that was entertaining.

I don’t have to defend Anet on anything. There is simply nothing worth noting about any of the complaints. The OP talks in absolutes about how it’s bad game design to have dailies the way they are and refuses to consider it’s just his dislike of it. Many people had the same point of view when dailies event completer was how he wants it to go back to. What makes him so much smarter than everyone else in his opinion?

And nothing in the game has to cost more to go to than any other place. You can get to WvW or Heart of the Mists from anywhere in game and from those locations walk through the portal to Black Citadel and right out to Ashford where it takes a few seconds to get to many nodes. All for free and all just as quickly gotten to as anywhere else.

And the reason I highlighted that one point is it goes to show people don’t use the resources many other players, as well as the wiki, provide. A simple Google search of “foraging in Ascalon” brings up a link to this page, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Node_farm which guides someone to the best nodes to be found.

The same simple search can be done about events as well. There are many events running concurrently in every zone and if someone wants to get it done they can. The OP simply wishes to complain for the sake of complaining.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

As for zone specific event completer, I think it would be better served removing the starter zones from them. They’re the zones most at risk of not being able to get credit due to too many around.

There is more than one event running at any one time in a zone. I do the starter zones all the time for event completer and there is few, precious few, around events except where the mob of people are. Yet people still want to group up with the mob. That is player choice, not bad game design.

You could have a map filled to capacity and if people spread out, there would be no issue about missing out on an event because it was completed too fast.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Seera.5916

This one thing is part of the reason why I have an issue with all the complaints. How can foraging be troublesome in Ascalon when there is a potato farm in Ashford that never moves because it is permanent and has been there for years?

This example goes to the real heart of the event debate…people don’t really want to learn the game. They want to rush in and get things done. Problem is, that is often the slowest way to do things.

It also goes to show people will complain about anything. People even complain when Anet gives free things out to everyone.

I would say thanks for sharing this knowledge, but apparently you said a bit too much. I’m sure you’re perfectly knowledgeable about all trivia in this game?

I’m not really sure why you had to blow a offhand comment out of proportion to rant about the ills and laziness of the player base. I’ll take responsibility for my own ignorance; you can leave everyone out of this. It’s almost like you had nothing of value to reply otherwise.

I bring up troublesome because Ascalon is far from where I normally am, and it can cost a penny or two more than other locations. I have a lot more valuable plants to gather than potatoes mind you. Plus I don’t like the visuals of the zone itself. These are fairly minor issues, which is why this so called complaint doesn’t have me demanding more nodes in Ascalon.

This one thing is part of the reason why I have an issue with all the responses to complaints. People don’t actually read the entirety of people’s post and make up their intentions.

It also goes to show you that people will defend Anet about anything. Even when the critics aren’t actually hating the game.

Anyhow, thanks anyways. I’ve tried several iterations of this post but found it hard to keep a straight face. So, that was entertaining.

I don’t have to defend Anet on anything. There is simply nothing worth noting about any of the complaints. The OP talks in absolutes about how it’s bad game design to have dailies the way they are and refuses to consider it’s just his dislike of it. Many people had the same point of view when dailies event completer was how he wants it to go back to. What makes him so much smarter than everyone else in his opinion?

And nothing in the game has to cost more to go to than any other place. You can get to WvW or Heart of the Mists from anywhere in game and from those locations walk through the portal to Black Citadel and right out to Ashford where it takes a few seconds to get to many nodes. All for free and all just as quickly gotten to as anywhere else.

And the reason I highlighted that one point is it goes to show people don’t use the resources many other players, as well as the wiki, provide. A simple Google search of “foraging in Ascalon” brings up a link to this page, https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Node_farm which guides someone to the best nodes to be found.

The same simple search can be done about events as well. There are many events running concurrently in every zone and if someone wants to get it done they can. The OP simply wishes to complain for the sake of complaining.

Conversely, not being able to see how those who tend to run into events that are done by the time they get there more often than the average player would want that event changed to be more enjoyable for them is just as bad as not being able to see how most players don’t really have a huge issue with the daily and it’s not super critical that it be changed. I do think some in this thread in favor of the OP’s idea are that bad.

You can see it from their point of view without agreeing to the solution.

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

Conversely, not being able to see how those who tend to run into events that are done by the time they get there more often than the average player would want that event changed to be more enjoyable for them is just as bad as not being able to see how most players don’t really have a huge issue with the daily and it’s not super critical that it be changed. I do think some in this thread in favor of the OP’s idea are that bad.

You can see it from their point of view without agreeing to the solution.

No, I can’t see it from their point of view because you’re still talking as if there is only one event going on at the same time and people ‘have’ to go where everyone else is. I purposely avoid the mob and spread out away from them and often times finish 4 events while people complain in map chat about how they miss an event because the group is faster than them. I’ll whisper them and link a WP to an event away from the group but they have no interest in going there because they feel some need to follow along. How can that possibly be Anet’s fault?

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Seera.5916

There is more than one event running at any one time in a zone. I do the starter zones all the time for event completer and there is few, precious few, around events except where the mob of people are. Yet people still want to group up with the mob. That is player choice, not bad game design.

You could have a map filled to capacity and if people spread out, there would be no issue about missing out on an event because it was completed too fast.

Just because it doesn’t happen to you doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen often enough to a minority of players that it makes them upset at the game after spending time to try to complete that daily only to progress slowly if at all and that some of those minority are more vocal than others. There aren’t enough posts on the forum about it for to be anywhere near even half of the players. And definitely not enough for it to be a high priority fix. I’d say low priority fix and not to remove it.

It doesn’t happen to me, but I can see how it may happen to others – and not necessarily due to the fault of the game but the player’s hardware or internet. And to some extent ANet does need to be mindful of their player’s hardware and internet.

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

Just because it doesn’t happen to you doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen often enough to a minority of players that it makes them upset at the game after spending time to try to complete that daily only to progress slowly if at all and that some of those minority are more vocal than others. There aren’t enough posts on the forum about it for to be anywhere near even half of the players. And definitely not enough for it to be a high priority fix. I’d say low priority fix and not to remove it.

It doesn’t happen to me, but I can see how it may happen to others – and not necessarily due to the fault of the game but the player’s hardware or internet. And to some extent ANet does need to be mindful of their player’s hardware and internet.

When it comes to hardware and internet, Anet can do nothing about that. An MMO is going to need a certain quality of internet for the game to be playable and that’s true of any MMO. Anet cant control latency and bandwidth issues. As far as hardware, there is already complaints about the game engine being too old because Anet DOES try to cater to a wide range of players on older and less powerful systems.

As to the first part of your comment, the reason it doesn’t happen to me is because I make the choice to go away from where the mob is. And a person with a less powerful system or a good quality connection should definitely want to avoid the mob. You still don’t address the fact that is multiple events running concurrently in every zone. You still wish to talk like a person has to go around following the mob.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I still dont get how we can have theee pages of discussing dailies when literally all it is is: gathering some resources in one area, talk to a vista, and do one chore that takes 1-2 minutes like a blue wins pvp round or capping a ruin in wvw

Dailies!

Seera.5916

No, I can’t see it from their point of view because you’re still talking as if there is only one event going on at the same time and people ‘have’ to go where everyone else is. I purposely avoid the mob and spread out away from them and often times finish 4 events while people complain in map chat about how they miss an event because the group is faster than them. I’ll whisper them and link a WP to an event away from the group but they have no interest in going there because they feel some need to follow along. How can that possibly be Anet’s fault?

And just because they keep barely missing events or not getting credit doesn’t mean that they are the ones who follow the mob and then refuse to leave the mob. Could be just bad luck and they keep finding events that are two seconds from being done. Not a large group of people would fall into that category (and I don’t know if the OP is or if they are one of the ones who follows the mob constantly and them complains they aren’t getting credit).

And I never claimed it was ANet’s fault. Please find and quote where I explicitly said it was ANet’s fault.

And there are ways to reduce the times it happens without undermining the reason for zone specific dailies. They could make it do events in two specific zones when it comes up instead. That wouldn’t lower the number of players on a map too low to complete events while still bringing players to maps they may not frequently go to.

I know there have been days for me when I’ve gone to spots on the map on lower level zone map days only for the event to be over by the time I reach it numerous times and I don’t follow the zerg, at least not intentionally. Not often, but it is frustrating when it happens.

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

I still dont get how we can have theee pages of discussing dailies when literally all it is is: gathering some resources in one area, talk to a vista, and do one chore that takes 1-2 minutes like a blue wins pvp round or capping a ruin in wvw

Because I honestly believe it’s just people who wish to complain.

I remember when dailies were regional exactly how the OP says they ‘should be’ and some complained about that. I mean you had people complain when Anet gave everyone a free shared inventory slot.

Anet knows not everyone is going to like every daily. That’s why there is 4 from each type of game play to choose from and only 3 from any combination needs to be done to get the daily meta as you point out. I’m not so sure what they could do to please some people.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

What are you even talking about? lol. Where was he even implying he was even smarter than anyone else or that his opinion is an objective fact.? Oh, I see that around, but it’s not coming from the OP. OP was ranting for sure, but it comes more down to “I don’t like it” as opposed to whatever you’re implying.

You can walk through the entire game without using a single waypoint, I am, aware. But people do take WPs for a reason. The cost still exists in the form of the opportunity cost of not taking the WPs (eg time)

So, you claim “people” but you used me as an example who in your words don’t want to learn the game, implying I don’t want to learn the game based on this one instance. And thus complain about it, implying that I don’t want to learn the game thus discrediting this group of “people” which conveniently includes me. Despite me saying about 2 sentences before that convenient snip that I felt that gathering dailies weren’t worthy of complaint because I think it’s harder to avoid gathering nodes then it is to come across them.

And you based this all on a out of context nitpick to roll this statement into a sweeping generalization about a group that basically encompasses everyone that disagrees with you on this matter.

Oh, there’s someone talking in absolutes here.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Dailies!

Amaimon.7823

I remember when dailies were regional exactly how the OP says they ‘should be’ and some complained about that. I mean you had people complain when Anet gave everyone a free shared inventory slot.

Anet knows not everyone is going to like every daily. That’s why there is 4 from each type of game play to choose from and only 3 from any combination needs to be done to get the daily meta as you point out. I’m not so sure what they could do to please some people.

How can you not like the free shared slot?
Its nothing but a useful thing. And if you dont want to use it, drag it to the bottom and ignore it. Honestly, people would complain over anything these days.. I miss the dark ages, that’d give people something to complain about

Dailies!

Seera.5916

So no one should suggest anything that would change the game because others have said they prefer it this way or others would not want the change?

Just because you don’t agree with the solution or think that it is a large enough of a problem to warrant a fix, doesn’t mean that those affected can’t post their opinions and their suggestions based on them. They should however be willing to objectively read the opponents positions and see things from their point of view. Which both sides in this thread seem to have a problem doing. Which hurts the case of their side when they do it.

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

And just because they keep barely missing events or not getting credit doesn’t mean that they are the ones who follow the mob and then refuse to leave the mob. Could be just bad luck and they keep finding events that are two seconds from being done. Not a large group of people would fall into that category (and I don’t know if the OP is or if they are one of the ones who follows the mob constantly and them complains they aren’t getting credit).

And I never claimed it was ANet’s fault. Please find and quote where I explicitly said it was ANet’s fault.

And there are ways to reduce the times it happens without undermining the reason for zone specific dailies. They could make it do events in two specific zones when it comes up instead. That wouldn’t lower the number of players on a map too low to complete events while still bringing players to maps they may not frequently go to.

I know there have been days for me when I’ve gone to spots on the map on lower level zone map days only for the event to be over by the time I reach it numerous times and I don’t follow the zerg, at least not intentionally. Not often, but it is frustrating when it happens.

If they aren’t following the mob and they participated in an event and didn’t get credit than they need to submit a bug report. As for showing up late, well, we all have shown up late for events. Can’t hardly expect people not to do an event just in the off chance someone may show up in the next few seconds. If that were the case you’d never get an event to start because someone else may show up constantly.

And I don’t mean you specifically. The OP however does blame Anet because he claims it to be bad game design. He started this thread to blame Anet over it simply because he doesn’t like zone specific dailies.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Seera.5916

Its nothing but a useful thing. And if you dont want to use it, drag it to the bottom and ignore it. Honestly, people would complain over anything these days.. I miss the dark ages, that’d give people something to complain about

To be fair on the shared slot it was originally unmovable and it had to be at the top. The complaints went away when the slot was made moveable, as I recall.

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

So no one should suggest anything that would change the game because others have said they prefer it this way or others would not want the change?

Just because you don’t agree with the solution or think that it is a large enough of a problem to warrant a fix, doesn’t mean that those affected can’t post their opinions and their suggestions based on them. They should however be willing to objectively read the opponents positions and see things from their point of view. Which both sides in this thread seem to have a problem doing. Which hurts the case of their side when they do it.

No problem with suggesting something, but complaining to just complain is an entirely different matter. The OP claims it is bad game design, yet has yet to explain HOW it’s bad design specifically. If it’s such a bad design why isn’t everyone having problems?

I remember when they were region wide just as the OP says they should be. Well, each zone has it’s own big meta chain and people would flock in a group to those and you still had these same complaints.

It all still boils down to the fact that people are wanting to follow the mob. An event cant be done where you can’t see mobs spawn if you aren’t around a huge group, unless of course your computer is very under powered or a person has internet issues.

As I’ve said, I have tried to help people in the past by whispering locations where events were either going on or could be started and no one around, and very, very few would actually go there because the had some need to follow the tag.

Really the only way to address this would be to go the GW1 route and there be a seperate instance of the map for each person/group and that would just bring on new complaints.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

To be fair on the shared slot it was originally unmovable and it had to be at the top. The complaints went away when the slot was made moveable, as I recall.

Actually they didn’t, they just died down over time.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

What are you even talking about? lol. Where was he even implying he was even smarter than anyone else or that his opinion is an objective fact.? Oh, I see that around, but it’s not coming from the OP. OP was ranting for sure, but it comes more down to “I don’t like it” as opposed to whatever you’re implying.

You can walk through the entire game without using a single waypoint, I am, aware. But people do take WPs for a reason. The cost still exists in the form of the opportunity cost of not taking the WPs (eg time)

So, you claim “people” but you used me as an example who in your words don’t want to learn the game, implying I don’t want to learn the game based on this one instance. And thus complain about it, implying that I don’t want to learn the game thus discrediting this group of “people” which conveniently includes me. Despite me saying about 2 sentences before that convenient snip that I felt that gathering dailies weren’t worthy of complaint because I think it’s harder to avoid gathering nodes then it is to come across them.

And you based this all on a out of context nitpick to roll this statement into a sweeping generalization about a group that basically encompasses everyone that disagrees with you on this matter.

Oh, there’s someone talking in absolutes here.

Actually it was coming from the OP. He said in no uncertain terms it is bad game design. That is him saying he knows better than the devs about the design of the daily event completer. Maybe he does, but he doesn’t back it up with any sort of credential or reasoning. His only suggestion has been to take it back to the way it was and you still had people then saying that was bad design since they didn’t like it.

As for the porting, how can a few seconds be any sort of cost? I can be in the farthest western zone, open my WvW panel, go to a BL or EB, take a few steps and be in Lions Arch in a matter of seconds. Same can be done from Heart of the Mists. From there, I can WP, for free because WP’s inside a city cost nothing, to where the city portals are, and walk into Black Citadel. From there, step outside to Ashford, go to the node. All done in a matter of a couple of minutes. You were the one complaining about the cost of going to Ashford and when it’s pointed out how it can be done for free, and quickly, well, it’s not quick enough because it costs you too much time. Not sure how a couple of minutes at most is too much time.

And yes, I say people because there are a number of people backing up the OP complaining about various dailies now beyond even the daily events. But I mention the example you gave because it illustrates how something can be done easily and quickly and still be complained about.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I remember when dailies were regional exactly how the OP says they ‘should be’ and some complained about that.

The OP however does blame Anet because he claims it to be bad game design.

You are misrepresenting the OP. The OP preferred daily events anywhere (as with iteration 1), not regionally. He also neither stated nor implied they were bad design, only that daily events as is are not fun for him.

What’s with these dailies?? Nowadays I have to port to i.e. Caledon Forest and do events there and chase after them before they’re finished, or go to the Plains of Ashford and gather lumber there? What’s up with that? Why can’t I just do dailies in the where I am farming/grinding mats and exp? Old dailies where you had daily gatherer, daily event completion ect. were much better. Did somebody actually suggest this kind of change or what?

Also the thingy that shows where the events are (event tracker i guess?) is showing events where there aren’t any and chasing events over the specific map is not fun.

Dailies!

Wildkitten.3872

I remember when dailies were regional exactly how the OP says they ‘should be’ and some complained about that.

The OP however does blame Anet because he claims it to be bad game design.

You are misrepresenting the OP. The OP preferred daily events anywhere (as with iteration 1), not regionally. He also neither stated nor implied they were bad design, only that daily events as is are not fun for him.

What’s with these dailies?? Nowadays I have to port to i.e. Caledon Forest and do events there and chase after them before they’re finished, or go to the Plains of Ashford and gather lumber there? What’s up with that? Why can’t I just do dailies in the where I am farming/grinding mats and exp? Old dailies where you had daily gatherer, daily event completion ect. were much better. Did somebody actually suggest this kind of change or what?

Also the thingy that shows where the events are (event tracker i guess?) is showing events where there aren’t any and chasing events over the specific map is not fun.

I may have gotten the OP confused with someone else then, my apologies.

But the point still stands, there are multiple events running concurrently in a zone.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Dailies!

ArchonWing.9480

Actually it was coming from the OP. He said in no uncertain terms it is bad game design. That is him saying he knows better than the devs about the design of the daily event completer. Maybe he does, but he doesn’t back it up with any sort of credential or reasoning. His only suggestion has been to take it back to the way it was and you still had people then saying that was bad design since they didn’t like it.

OP made a single post in this thread….

Where does it say anything about knowing more than the devs or a commentary about game design? Seems to me that just has a mere opinion about a preference about what was there previously. And it seems to me there were talking about fun.

The only thing that comes close to resembling what you’re describing is in bold, and even given that, you’re still using some pretty extreme hyperbole.

You could argue that OP was demanding too many things, but that’s another story.

As for the porting, how can a few seconds be any sort of cost? I can be in the farthest western zone, open my WvW panel, go to a BL or EB, take a few steps and be in Lions Arch in a matter of seconds. Same can be done from Heart of the Mists. From there, I can WP, for free because WP’s inside a city cost nothing, to where the city portals are, and walk into Black Citadel. From there, step outside to Ashford, go to the node. All done in a matter of a couple of minutes. You were the one complaining about the cost of going to Ashford and when it’s pointed out how it can be done for free, and quickly, well, it’s not quick enough because it costs you too much time. Not sure how a couple of minutes at most is too much time.

What you’re failing to understand here is that it is all relative. If there are other dailies in which I can do in even less time, I can do them instead. I can still call Asacalon whatever the less desirable daily. Again, considering I said repeatedly that these are small issues not worthy of complaining cough. But apparently any negative comment is treated as such.

Oh btw, look where I went today (I put this in a previous post) https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/234699/gw217.jpg

And yes, I say people because there are a number of people backing up the OP complaining about various dailies now beyond even the daily events. But I mention the example you gave because it illustrates how something can be done easily and quickly and still be complained about.

Oh, and just becomes something can be done easily, doesn’t mean it can’t be critcized either, btw.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Dailies!

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Ugh, the shared slot. I am really glad they only forced those on HoT accounts. I do think that they should have made a consumable so that people could choose.
No, actually, what I really think is that they should not exist at all in the game but whatever. As long as people could just, you know, choose if they have them on their accounts or or not.

Now, carry on with daily.
(I hate events. And still hate the whole daily.)

let the sky fall

Dailies!

ArchonWing.9480

Shared slots are awesome, but I guess they should be hidden if you only have 1 character.

With more than 1 even putting a salvage kit in them is a huge QoL boost.

Dailies!

Amaimon.7823

Shared slots are awesome, but I guess they should be hidden if you only have 1 character.

Then pretend your main bag is a 21 slot bag instead of a 20 slot bag. Problem solved. I can’t comprehend at all how you can consider extra inventory space a bad thing

Dailies!

ArchonWing.9480

Then pretend your main bag is a 21 slot bag instead of a 20 slot bag. Problem solved. I can’t comprehend at all how you can consider extra inventory space a bad thing

I don’t (I maxed out on them), but other people do. I mean, I understand it slightly. It makes the rows uneven, probably.

The free slot is good though. If you buy the 3 pack and also have the 3 slots, it’s good enough for the gathering tools and a salvage kit.

Dailies!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Anecdote time~

Thank goodness for those JP dailies.
Did the usual two (y’know, home instance farm and Completely Safe Capital City Vista) and saw the choice between Vizier’s tower …Brisban Wildlands, one of the worst zones for that daily.

I happily did Vizier’s Tower, and I was even playing my mesmer that day, so I got to be the JP port guy! (Well, lady at the time.) Didn’t make a single copper off it, but I did get a lot of bouncy thank-yous. It felt good to be on the helpful side of the community.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Dailies!

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

PPS: I don’t know why people fetishize the FGS map rewards so much. It’s above the other maps in reward, except week 5 Fireheart Rise, but not by so much as to make or break the world, I’d think. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward/profit

Q, meet A:

A: Champ farm. :P

Basically, there’s a circle of bosses that the zerg will go murder, which means getting quick map rewards. When highly valued things show up there, the champ train zips around for quick event credit with relatively swift recharges. So when Giant Eyes end up on FGS… You get the picture.

…and, presumably, the Orr and Kitten <see what i did there> maps don’t have such a convenient rotation. That makes sense. I don’t see that much advantage to the boss zerg vs just doing events, which is why I didn’t manage to see that. ’preciate the explaining.

Dailies!

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

I’m getting used to the Daily now, and in many ways they are better than the old dailies. I did the Mining, Vista, and Jumping Puzzle yesterday, no problem. The way they are better is that you get a chest for each one of them, in addition to the 2g and chest for completing 3. Very nice indeed.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Dailies!

Rauderi.8706

I’m getting used to the Daily now, and in many ways they are better than the old dailies. I did the Mining, Vista, and Jumping Puzzle yesterday, no problem. The way they are better is that you get a chest for each one of them, in addition to the 2g and chest for completing 3. Very nice indeed.

Thanks for the reminder. For all the fuss about one or two very specific design choices, let’s remember that the underlying system is actually pretty fantastic.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Dailies!

ArchonWing.9480

Anecdote time~

Did the usual two (y’know, home instance farm and Completely Safe Capital City Vista) and saw the choice between Vizier’s tower …Brisban Wildlands, one of the worst zones for that daily.

I happily did Vizier’s Tower, and I was even playing my mesmer that day, so I got to be the JP port guy! (Well, lady at the time.) Didn’t make a single copper off it, but I did get a lot of bouncy thank-yous. It felt good to be on the helpful side of the community.

Oh, I noticed quite a big crowd in Straits of Devastation as well. It seems like a lot of people were helping with doing the JP yesterday. You wouldn’t have happened to be around there about 6 PM PST, would you?

(There were a lot more people where green tag was)

I think this is a pretty good example of things going right. And next time I’ll remember to bring a mesmer for these things.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Dailies!

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

I typically do PvP to get my dailies. I do that because it’s fast but that doesn’t mean my main goal is to get it done fast. Generally few if any of the 12 daily items are something I actually want to do. Getting it done faster just means I can get my daily and still have time for the things I actually want to do. If you want to do PvP or WvW you’ll get it just by doing what you want to do. Why can’t it work that way for everybody, not just people who want to PvP or WvW or want to do one of the 4 PvE items. My only choice if I want get the daily is to do stuff I don’t want to do. I’m not saying it’s a problem, just saying it could be better. I make the choice based on what works best for me. A PvP daily room, for me, gives me the best ratio of reward vs time and frustration. I find the PvP daily rooms pretty annoying too most of the time but on top of getting my daily I also get PvP reward track progress, PvP rank progress and I get various other achievements and AP points along the way.

4 choices works fine for PvP and WvW because those modes are nowhere near as varied and vast as PvE. Having only 4 options for PvE is way too limited in my opinion. It would help a lot if there were more choices. I wouldn’t care if it took me a bit longer to get my daily completed if I could do things I want to do in the process. If it makes send that I can get one of my daily items by poking a super easy Vista in a home world why can’t I get it by spending more time on exploring new areas on one of my alts? If I can get daily plus extra rewards for 10-15 minutes of PvP, why can’t I get just the daily for 2 or 3 times as much time doing something else, like map exploration, fractals, dungeons, Personal Story missions, LS, etc?

I’ve done the map event daily. For me I just don’t get enough from it to make it a worth-while way to get one of my daily items. Sure, sometimes I can jump into a map and get the 4 events pretty quick. Sometimes it takes a bit longer. There are multiple factors involved, like what map, random luck, event tracker is showing a bugged event, etc. When I do the events daily I don’t follow mobs, I just try to find events and do them. If someone pings a WP I’ll go. Sometimes the event ends before I get there. Sometimes people ping events that are already almost done. Sometimes people ping a WP outside of the event map so you have to be careful for that. If I use my main with 100% map completion I get nothing useful from low level maps. My XP bar is maxed so I get no XP. The gold/karma is insignificant. I could instead use an alt that needs to explor that map but that will take longer because I can’t WP to anywhere on the map until I run around it for a while. Sometimes that is what I do because I decided on that day that I want to do some exploring on an alt and if I can catch 4 events in the process that’s even better. But that only works if I want to spend the time exploring on an alt. If I get to the point where all of my alts have explored all of the event maps the that will no longer be an option I care for.

Here’s my idea for the best thing they could do to the daily system. Just implement an active playing timer. If you are actively playing the game the timer will be counting. When it reaches xx minutes you get the daily reward – Shards, 2G and AP (if your not at the cap yet). You can do whatever you want to get that xx minutes as long as you are actively playing. There would still be the individual daily items. If you do those you will get that reward as well. I would think as long as you’re not idle you’re accumulating active play time. I don’t know how feasible that would be to implement. Ultimately it would be up to Anet to decide if there’s anything other than being idle that would not count as active playing.

(edited by Bollocks.4078)

Dailies!

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Conversely if you did map completion a couple of years ago and only have one character and you don’t scour the maps constantly, it can be easily expected to forget where the potato farm is, if you even remember that there is a potato farm.

Or like how the PvP class wins are Elementalist or Ranger wins, they could make it Queensdale or Cursed Shore event completer.

This is the nail in the coffin.

Dailies!

Rauderi.8706

Anecdote time~

Oh, I noticed quite a big crowd in Straits of Devastation as well. It seems like a lot of people were helping with doing the JP yesterday. You wouldn’t have happened to be around there about 6 PM PST, would you?

(There were a lot more people where green tag was)

I think this is a pretty good example of things going right. And next time I’ll remember to bring a mesmer for these things.

Looks like a different shard than I was on. And way more people down at the bottom.
I would’ve loved to have portalbombed that big cluster of names at base of the tower near the bridge~

Many alts; handle it!