Dailies HURT Casuals, Not Help

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Let me explain.

Taking a “casual” as in, is generally busy IRL and doesn’t have as much time to play as other players, if everything was time gated DAILY, meaning to keep up progress you have to log in literally every single day, then this actually hurts the casual player more than a “hardcore” player that has more time to play.

This is because someone who is actually busy IRL may not be able to log in to play literally every day, they may have to skip a day or 2 quite regularly, especially if you’re working like 60+ hours a week on top of other responsibilities, logging on every day to do your daily activities becomes a huge PITA.

Even I, as someone with plenty of time to play find Dailies to be a huge PITA, that constant nagging of “you have to log on now if you don’t want to lose progress” is a bad feeling.

Here’s a very simple suggestion Anet, I hope you can make it work too. Let “daily credit” stack up to x7. So each day you get a “daily credit” which gets spent on your daily activities. If you skip a day or two, those credits stack up so on the third day you could log in and get 3 dailies done in that day instead.

This lets you make up for lost time, this is a very simple system even Rift has and it’s fantastic, one of my favorite features. Anet could implement this for everything, Daily achievement, dungeons/meta events, etc. You would just need to have a UI element somewhere to keep track of this like :

Tequatl : x3 dailies remaining

Ascalon Catacombs P1 : x2 dailies remaining.

Ascalon Catacombs P2 : x1 dailies remaining.

Ascalon Catacombs P3 : x1 dailies remaining.

Etc.

If you imagine, you have a very, very busy week and only get to log on maybe on a Tuesday evening to play, you get a daily done and you’re off. Skip ahead to Saturday, you finally have some free time to play hard, you’ve managed to acquire x5 daily credits for everything and plow through them on your weekend off, no stressing.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Dailies don’t hurt casuals. Dailies give casuals more time before the pros get everything. I know people that even with time gating, got an ascended weapon in like five days. That’s without buying stuff from the market place. Without that time gating they’d have gotten it on day one.

Time gating makes it fairer for casuals, not less fair.

Otherwise some people would have thousands of laurels by now, and casuals would have far less.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Not much to say but “Yep”. I mean, that’s all spot-on. I remember before I was casual – back in WoW – I had no idea why people couldn’t always do all their dailies.

Now I actually have to use most of my time constructively, well, suddenly it becomes very clear.

And yes the solution you propose is absolutely perfect.

Otherwise some people would have thousands of laurels by now, and casuals would have far less.

Nope, Vayne, read his post, don’t give a generic response. What he’s suggesting is much friendlier to casuals than the current system.

Right now hardcores have up to 358 Laurels. Casuals are unlikely to have more then a few dozen. This is only going to get WORSE, not better.

Knote.2904

Dailies don’t hurt casuals. Dailies give casuals more time before the pros get everything. I know people that even with time gating, got an ascended weapon in like five days. That’s without buying stuff from the market place. Without that time gating they’d have gotten it on day one.

And then you can’t play for w/e reason for a couple days? Then what? You’re behind and there’s no way to make up for that lost progress.

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

If you are casual you do not need to care “being behind”. Being casual does not mean “play less, lose nothing”.

Vayne.8563

And then you can’t play for w/e reason for a couple days? Then what? You’re behind and there’s no way to make up for that lost progress.

Right by not playing for a couple of days, you miss two laurels. But in those two days other players that had time could be ahead dozens of laurels. Being only two laurels behind isn’t worse than the alternative, is it?

Eurhetemec.9052

Right by not playing for a couple of days, you miss two laurels. But in those two days other players that had time could be ahead dozens of laurels. Being only two laurels behind isn’t worse than the alternative, is it?

THAT IS NOT THE ALTERNATIVE, VAYNE.

Read the OP for god’s sake!

The ALTERNATIVE being proposed is CATCH UP.

EDIT – You are both using a Strawman, i.e. not responding to the OP’s argument and using another one entirely, and a False Dichotomy, in that you are presenting two things as if they are the only options when they are not. It’s almost impressively bad arguing.

Vayne.8563

Not much to say but “Yep”. I mean, that’s all spot-on. I remember before I was casual – back in WoW – I had no idea why people couldn’t always do all their dailies.

Now I actually have to use most of my time constructively, well, suddenly it becomes very clear.

And yes the solution you propose is absolutely perfect.

Nope, Vayne, read his post, don’t give a generic response. What he’s suggesting is much friendlier to casuals than the current system.

Right now hardcores have up to 358 Laurels. Casuals are unlikely to have more then a few dozen. This is only going to get WORSE, not better.

I didn’t take into account his suggestion because it’s not going to happen. The reason a daily is called a daily it to get people to log in…well…daily. It’s the whole point of the exercise. Games do it, because they want more people in world.

Taking away a reason to log in daily would diminish the purpose they were instituted in the first place. And taking that logic into account, time gating works in favor of casuals.

Knote.2904

Um, I’m starting to think you haven’t read my post. I never said to remove dailies, that was not the “alternative” I posted.

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

I feel I’m definitely a casual player, in that I don’t really care about any of the achievements or the elite stuff. I’m just there playing because it beats watching brain damaging junk on TV. I like the dailies as it gives me some rather easier activities to do for the hour or so I feel like playing that day. Miss a day, a week, a month…no problem.

Eurhetemec.9052

I didn’t take into account his suggestion because it’s not going to happen. The reason a daily is called a daily it to get people to log in…well…daily. It’s the whole point of the exercise. Games do it, because they want more people in world.

Taking away a reason to log in daily would diminish the purpose they were instituted in the first place. And taking that logic into account, time gating works in favor of casuals.

That’s just nonsense, Vayne. WoW used a system like this with Daily Dungeons and it worked extremely well.

Vayne.8563

Um, I’m starting to think you haven’t read my post. I never said to remove dailies, that was not the “alternative” I posted.

You said let daily credits stack up so you don’t have to log in every day. It’s never going to happen, because the purpose of dailies it to get people to log in every day. My implementing this, the whole purpose they exist ceases to exist. That’s why I said what I said.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

The part underlined in your response is impossible to do in 5 days, because, it takes 9 days to acquire the time gated mats to even begin constructing your ascended weapon.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Eurhetemec.9052

You said let daily credits stack up so you don’t have to log in every day. It’s never going to happen, because the purpose of dailies it to get people to log in every day. My implementing this, the whole purpose they exist ceases to exist. That’s why I said what I said.

He gave an example of MMO that didn’t do that where it works fine. I gave another example. You need to do better than just “Oh but they’re DAILIES BECAUSE DAILY LOLZ!”.

Vayne.8563

The part underlined in your response is impossible to do in 5 days, because, it takes 9 days to acquire the time gated mats to even begin constructing your ascended weapon.

I’d have to double check, but I’m pretty sure one of my guildies made what he needed in five days. It’s also possible the first day he was able to do two, because of the time of the reset, and the time of the update.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Well, it really depends on what effects it has for people compaired to others. Does it really hurt someone who plays sometimes if someone who plays alot has better armor? For the most part it really doesnt. The only thing that hurts casual sometime players is living story…

Knote.2904

Well, it really depends on what effects it has for people compaired to others. Does it really hurt someone who plays sometimes if someone who plays alot has better armor? For the most part it really doesnt. The only thing that hurts casual sometime players is living story…

The thing is, dailies might “hold back” those who would have the time to play constantly, but that doesn’t necessarily “help” those who don’t have as much time to play, it just punishes those that do.

Hard dailies do hurt casuals though, because if you miss a single day, that’s progress that CANNOT be made up for, it’s lost forever, you’re forever one day behind, being able to save up x7 dailies would make that much more forgiving and would actually be helpful to casuals.

Again casual meaning, players that can’t play a lot.

And repeating again, this isn’t just a change for casual players, but for everyone, even I miss dailies even though I have plenty of time to play, and it’s a sucky feeling. I would much rather be able to save up 2-3 days and pound them all out in one sitting.

As said it works great in other games, don’t let your hipster-esque pride of “WE NEED TO BE DIFFERENT TO BE DIFFERENT” cloud your judgement on a feature that’s simply, superior.

Posted by: Brienson.7319

Brienson.7319

It doesn’t really matter how it affects the game. Dailies are designed to keep concurrency up, not help any specific players. They make it so that instead of doing a whole lot each day, and getting bored with the game quicker, you’re only allowed to do a little bit each day to keep you playing longer. They don’t care if you only play 10-20 minutes, so long as you log in it’s giving them something to show the guys that write their checks and fund them. Time gating unique content through bite sized daily activity is one of the most fundamental ways designers keep players around longer, you can complain about it until the cows come how but it won’t go anywhere.

dragonbrand—

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

The thing is, dailies might “hold back” those who would have the time to play constantly, but that doesn’t necessarily “help” those who don’t have as much time to play, it just punishes those that do.

Hard dailies do hurt casuals though, because if you miss a single day, that’s progress that CANNOT be made up for, it’s lost forever, you’re forever one day behind, being able to save up x7 dailies would make that much more forgiving and would actually be helpful to casuals.

Again casual meaning, players that can’t play a lot.

And repeating again, this isn’t just a change for casual players, but for everyone, even I miss dailies even though I have plenty of time to play, and it’s a sucky feeling. I would much rather be able to save up 2-3 days and pound them all out in one sitting.

As said it works great in other games, don’t let your hipster-esque pride of “WE NEED TO BE DIFFERENT TO BE DIFFERENT” cloud your judgement on a feature that’s simply, superior.

This game isnt as punishing as you make it seem. I usually do all my dailies, but sometimes I miss a day or two, and I dont freak out. Also, when you say dailies, can you clarify what exactly? Cause you cant mean just the daily achievements….a couple less laurels mean nothing.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

There seems to be some confusion and mis-communication seems to be taking place on this topic, but hopefully this clears things up:
Good – Dailies that can be completed quickly through whichever facet of gameplay the player enjoys the most

Better – A daily system that allows players to do multiple dailies if they missed a previous day: i.e. for players that are busy during the week, but that have lots of time to play on the weekends.

(edited by Dahkeus.8243)

Posted by: folly dragon.4126

folly dragon.4126

I mean they implemented a variety of choices for dailies, really, most take me 5 minutes or less to do, so max 25 minutes.

The problem is you dont have time to do them.

As far as time gated crafting mats, well, again, can be done in 5 minutes, it means that you dont have computer access for 5 minutes or chose not to just log on really quickly to craft for your daily.

It would be nice if they gave us a system to make up for when and if a natural disaster happens, like those that might be or one day could be affected by a storm. But well, currently I dont see dailies as a burden when I miss them, because I could have done them after reset before bed and gathered the materials when I was playing.

Remember, there are otherways to get the same items that laurels are used for and crafting materials are used for, its just more random or requires you to run fractals.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

A good and valid suggestion! Belongs on the suggestion forum thou…

As a casual, i only can play 3 out of 7 days. Definitively this could put me on par with the rest of those who can play 7 out of 7 days, in terms of time gated content.

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Knote.2904

Lots of confusion and mis-communication seems to be taking place on these forums, but hopefully this clears things up:
Good – Dailies that can be completed quickly through whichever facet of gameplay the player enjoys the most

Better – A daily system that allows players to do multiple dailies if they missed a previous day: i.e. for players that are busy during the week, but that have lots of time to play on the weekends.

This sums it up nicely, thanks lol.

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

The LW dailies were better when they were an optional way of getting to your meta-event achievement. Now, we’re getting increasing instances of not being given enough LW-specific achievements to hit the target, so we HAVE to do the dailies to get to the meta-event target.

This is a PITA for people who are genuinely casual and can’t commit to scheduling in multiple days in a limited timespan.

As for the normal dailies, they don’t really make enough of a difference to anything to be ‘required’ for casuals to do. It’s the genuinely time-gated stuff that annoys me and is more anti-casual.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

They don’t hurt me because I don’t get all worked up about a few laurels and some achievement points. Some days when I play and the dailies don’t come through my regular play I won’t even bother to do the last 1 or 2 if I don’t have time or don’t want to play any more. Stacking dailies for those that don’t have as much playing time would just make it into a grind for when they are playing. Unless they are like me and don’t care.

The Burninator

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

While your alternative does not eliminate dailies, it does eliminate the reason for them. Which effectively eliminates the dailies.

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

If you are casual you do not need to care “being behind”. Being casual does not mean “play less, lose nothing”.

I agree. I consider myself a casual player because I play casually. I generally don’t care to have the newest shiny and I just play for fun. If something takes a lot of time or seems troublesome to get, well then I won’t bother. Dailies don’t hurt me at all. I like dailies because they take no effort and I’m earning stuff without bothering to do much :P If anything, dailies are a casual player’s best friend. Casual as in, relaxed and unconcerned.
Now, for players who have to have and do everything? Hardcore minded players who can only play casually (as in not regularly)? Dailies are their worst nightmare.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

It’s a good thing dailies happen every day… I mean c’mon, they’re daily

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Daily laurels are mainly an alternative reward system to suit people who are not in guilds and are not interested in fractals. If you don’t want ascended jewelry then you’re not missing out if you don’t complete dailies. If you need laurels for ascended weapons recipes then you are probably not casual. So players have essentially two paths to get ascended jewelry. They can manage their time to be involved in guilds and fractals or they can manage their time to complete a few tasks in a day in their choice of PvP or PvE. That’s reasonable.

My advice would be to lose the attitude that if you’re missing a day you are falling behind. It is a false premise of your own making that is causing you grief. Instead manage your real life time and be happy that you can make incremental progress during your limited playtime without joining a guild or completing fractals. If it is going to take a long time then just cut down your expectations and be happy with what you can realistically get. If you really want to burn through content when you do have some free time then go the guild and fractal route.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Some people will go “Omg this is so trite and boring and easy”, that’s casual.

But it’s not true— while your average casual player may support easier content because they don’t have time to devote to get better at certain things , it would be safe to say only hardcore grinders can deal with trite, boring and repetitious content. This is because “fun” and “playing the way I want” takes precedence as a casual player.

This doesn’t mean hardcore players can’t have fun either, though I’m referring to the subset of grinders who do content not because it’s fun, but to grind towards some goal. Though dailies aren’t too big of a deal really because any semblance of progress is arbitrarily defined and being “behind” just because you have 30-40 less laurels than someone is just silly. If you’re comparing yourselves to other people, I don’t think you can be considered casual anymore, unless of course you’re comparing yourselves to other people and don’t want to do anything for it, but that would be that “e” word again.

In the end, laurels are the lowest common denominator award. It is the minimal amount of effort you can put in to get crap, and while some dailies are worse than others, you have to set the bar somewhere.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

ok a few things here .

Dailies are optional
I
f there was carry over it wouldn’t be a daily

it hurts hard core more than casual players as hard core players are less likely to do a variety of thing . Time has nothing to do with it .

Most dailies can be done incredibly quickly

Posted by: Inspired.6730

Inspired.6730

The whole premise of the OP is based on redefining casuals as those who have almost no time to play. Leaving casuals defined as they usually are as someone who plays casually as opposed to being hardcore, time isn’t an issue. Casuals don’t really care all that much about having best in class gear and thus the OP is solving a problem that doesn’t exist for casuals.

Hardcore players who can’t play for periods of time or don’t want to play everyday would appreciate his suggestion however. Of course, getting those hardcore players to login everyday is also the reason dailies exist in the first place.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Daily’s aren’t good for any player. They hurt the hardcore by slowing them down. They hurt the casuals by pressuring them to log in everyday.

These things were not done for our benefit.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The whole premise of the OP is based on redefining casuals as those who have almost no time to play. Leaving casuals defined as they usually are as someone who plays casually as opposed to being hardcore, time isn’t an issue. Casuals don’t really care all that much about having best in class gear and thus the OP is solving a problem that doesn’t exist for casuals.

Hardcore players who can’t play for periods of time or don’t want to play everyday would appreciate his suggestion however. Of course, getting those hardcore players to login everyday is also the reason dailies exist in the first place.

These threads always end up with people trying to define what a casual player is. So far since my time here these are some of the things I have seen stated about casual players:

• Don’t care about the game.
  • Don’t have game goals.
  • Don’t try.
  • Don’t want to get better at the game.
  • Are not good players because they play casually.
  • Want everything handed to them.
  • Don’t play enough to be good at the game.
  • Are wasting their time.
  • Don’t care about having good gear/stats.
  • Feel obligated to do dailies every time they play.
  • Don’t care about doing dailies.
  • Spend their limited time just to do dailies.
  • Don’t want difficult content.
  • And my favorite, “carebears”.

Those are just the ones I can remember out of many more. Looking at that list a casual player must not play at all or when they do they must just stand in LA asking other players for handouts. Then when they get the handouts they sell them on the TP because they don’t care about the gear anyway.

Me, I don’t play that much and I don’t lose sleep if I don’t get my daily. That doesn’t mean I’m not invested in the game when I play. It doesn’t mean I don’t care about my gear. I’m certainly not going to pound my head against my monitor every second of my free time but hey I want that stuff too and will work toward getting it as I see fit. I can’t speak for all casual players though.

I know this is a bit off topic but I always find these, “A casual is…. and does….” threads interesting. There are probably about as many types and play styles of casual players as there are hardcore players and everything in between.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

These threads always end up with people trying to define what a casual player is. So far since my time here these are some of the things I have seen stated about casual players:

• Don’t have game goals.
  • Don’t try.

Those are just the ones I can remember out of many more. Looking at that list a casual player must not play at all or when they do they must just stand in LA asking other players for handouts. Then when they get the handouts they sell them on the TP because they don’t care about the gear anyway.

Me, I don’t play that much and I don’t lose sleep if I don’t get my daily. That doesn’t mean I’m not invested in the game when I play. It doesn’t mean I don’t care about my gear. I’m certainly not going to pound my head against my monitor every second of my free time but hey I want that stuff too and will work toward getting it as I see fit. I can’t speak for all casual players though.

I know this is a bit off topic but I always find these, “A casual is…. and does….” threads interesting. There are probably about as many types and play styles of casual players as there are hardcore players and everything in between.

You left out “entitled.”

I take all such descriptions with a grain of salt. Many of those posters are parroting something they’ve seen someone else post elsewhere, whether it actually applies to the thread or not. Such insults (and this also applies to the insults to the so-called hardcore as well) are just attempts to disenfranchise posters by belittling them.

I mostly ignore them, but they do make me wish for a -1 option, though.

Inspired.6730

• Don’t have game goals.
  • Don’t try.

That’s all fine, and almost always if one is to have a meaningful discussion on anything it starts with a discussion over the terms and definitions you’re going to use. And to be fair to the OP, he did define how he was using the term casual.

But, as I was trying to pointing out, he was then left trying to solve a problem for a very specific and limited group…those who have a very limited amount of time to play, but need to have the best in class gear to play. Or put another way, they don’t have the time to do the dailies, but need to have the best gear to do it.

And, these threads turn into a discussion of the definition of casuals, because the OP’s make them that. Otherwise the Op would have titled it: “Dailies hurt players who don’t want to log in every day” and not: “Dailies hurt casuals, not help.”

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

OP: I don’t agree. I am casual, I do not log in every day. Sometimes I do dailies, sometimes I don’t. Casual players just need to decide what they “want” to do the day that they play. WvW, Map completion, dailies, living world etc etc. This game caters to casuals we are not “hindered” by not playing every day, it just takes us longer to achieve everything.

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

OP: I don’t agree. I am casual, I do not log in every day. Sometimes I do dailies, sometimes I don’t. Casual players just need to decide what they “want” to do the day that they play. WvW, Map completion, dailies, living world etc etc. This game caters to casuals we are not “hindered” by not playing every day, it just takes us longer to achieve everything.

But doing what OP says should not influence the way you will play :|
So why not?
And if dailies are made just to push players into logging on daily basis and not to help casuals then this is a sick system.
If a player logs when he feels to do so instead of when he perceive he need to do so, I think he would be happier, and an happy player is an happy customer.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Erick Alastor.3917)

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Dailies suck. Period. It is a horrible system which needs to be killed.

(edited by Avatara.1042)

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

QFT, this coming from a casual player.

I don’t expect to log in and be able to get Legendary or Ascended weapons instantly. I play about 10-15 hours a week, if that. People need to realize that they’re not entitled to the best shinies in MMORPG’s.

What I DO expect, though, is to be able to engage in fun activities all the time. If I’m ever not having fun, I’m just going to turn the game off and find something else to do. Call me crazy! What I want from a game is interesting content that makes room for all kinds of players, and doesn’t isolate me because I haven’t played in a month. GW2 does that beautifully, I think. WoW didn’t, and that’s why I quit.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Should we do that with new players as well? 370 dailies remaining? How many of them should give laurels then? Laurel system wasn’t there from the start.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

snip
Even I, as someone with plenty of time to play find Dailies to be a huge PITA, that constant nagging of “you have to log on now if you don’t want to lose progress” is a bad feeling.
snip

I stopped playing this game for like 10 months. So that’s roughly 300 dailies that I missed. Have I “lost progress”? I don’t feel like I have.

IOW, if you think dailies are a PITA (I do too), don’t do them.

This isn’t a race.

Posted by: RoterFuchs.9216

RoterFuchs.9216

If you think about it, dailies hurt all players. They hurt hardcore gamers who invest 5h+ a day because, well, they’re capped in how much they can progress. They hurt casuals, because if they are missing out on a daily, the progress is gone, forever. Actually it hurts casuals even more. Think about it. There are A LOT of players out there that cannot play for several days, but might have some additional time to spend on another day. And on that day they’re capped and can only do one daily.

At the end of the day this system only serves the developers, not the players. It’s an incentive to log in on a daily basis, to get that reward you have been conditioned to want. The entire game has turned it a big machine that gives you rewards. But only once per day, because it wants you to return. It’s calling the shots, not you. Unless you’re strong willed and say “screw you machine, not with me!”.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

But doing what OP says should not influence the way you will play :|
So why not?
And if dailies are made just to push players into logging on daily basis and not to help casuals then this is a sick system.
If a player logs when he feels to do so instead of when he perceive he need to do so, I think he would be happier, and an happy player is an happy customer.

I don’t know, I guess the way I see it is that there are two reasons to do dailies: 1. for those that are collecting laurels and coins.
2. People that “need” a reason to log in. ie you’ve done everything else you’ve wanted to do in the game and this is the ONLY thing currently that you feel the need to log in for.

So, I just don’t see how the dailies hurts casuals.

Posted by: Hrithmus.2583

Hrithmus.2583

This is 2013 remember. Sooo many more social degenerates that hide in there rooms playing video games 24/7. They think playing an online video game for 9 hours out of a 24 hour day is normal.

Inspired.6730

If you think about it, dailies hurt all players. They hurt hardcore gamers who invest 5h+ a day because, well, they’re capped in how much they can progress. They hurt casuals, because if they are missing out on a daily, the progress is gone, forever. Actually it hurts casuals even more. Think about it. There are A LOT of players out there that cannot play for several days, but might have some additional time to spend on another day. And on that day they’re capped and can only do one daily.

At the end of the day this system only serves the developers, not the players. It’s an incentive to log in on a daily basis, to get that reward you have been conditioned to want. The entire game has turned it a big machine that gives you rewards. But only once per day, because it wants you to return. It’s calling the shots, not you. Unless you’re strong willed and say “screw you machine, not with me!”.

If you think about, I think you’ll realize you’re wrong, unless the only reason anyone actually plays is to do the dailies. And if that’s the case, they’re probably about done with this game anyway.

Or, think about it this way, you say hardcore players are hurt when they can’t do another daily and casuals are hurt when they can’t do another daily. So what you’re really saying is that we need more dailies so that no matter how long someone plays there’s always another daily they can do.

Fortunately for you, the game is slowly moving there. We now have daily achievements, daily boss chests, daily gatherings and daily craftings. For a lot of players there’s already another daily they can still do when they log out.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Just want to point out:

There is a significant difference between a casusal approach to the game and a casual time constraint.

My husband is a min/maxer, with a hardcore approach to the game. He has, at best, an hour or two to play on a daily basis. He logs in every day to make sure he does not miss his dailies, even though his main is fully decked in exotics/ascended. If he has more than an hour, he is often in overflows helping to spread the strategy on how to work Teq (we are on Blackgate) to help those overflows be successful, and/or doing everything he can during the week to get dragonite to complete his ascended weapons.

That’s not a “casual” attitude.

Attitude & approach =/= time constraint

Players are usually not one simple label.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Avatara.1042

Just want to point out:

There is a significant difference between a casusal approach to the game and a casual time constraint.

My husband is a min/maxer, with a hardcore approach to the game. He has, at best, an hour or two to play on a daily basis. He logs in every day to make sure he does not miss his dailies, even though his main is fully decked in exotics/ascended. If he has more than an hour, he is often in overflows helping to spread the strategy on how to work Teq (we are on Blackgate) to help those overflows be successful, and/or doing everything he can during the week to get dragonite to complete his ascended weapons.

That’s not a “casual” attitude.

Attitude & approach =/= time constraint

Players are usually not one simple label.

+1.

Sick of people thinking casual automatically equates to not caring.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

The daily token system is great – sadly the whole purpose of the daily thing – as stated by other before is to get you to play EVERY day.
Anet wants to keep you coming back day after day after day. And this is how they do it.

Under the pretense of " we don’t want the gap between casual and hardcore to be too large " they’re forcing all of us into a " play on our terms " loop.
And you can argue and say you don’t have to – that’s right – but if you don’t you’ll be left behind – and what MMO player wants that?
Let’s face it – dailies are a chore.
Whenever I log on I get them out of the way first. Same goes for friends – I don’t know how many times I’ve asked friends for a run of some dungeon and the answer was " Sure – let me just get this daily thing done " – nobody likes it – but we all do it.
Because if you’ve missed it you can’t go back and redo it – and that’s a strong psychological motivator.
I have over 250 laurels – full ascended – more than I could need ( since i only play one main) but guess what – I still feel that need to get my daily laurel every day.
It’s hardwired into me and Anet are taking full advantage of it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

(edited by Harper.4173)

Posted by: RoterFuchs.9216

RoterFuchs.9216

If you think about, I think you’ll realize you’re wrong, unless the only reason anyone actually plays is to do the dailies. And if that’s the case, they’re probably about done with this game anyway.

Or, think about it this way, you say hardcore players are hurt when they can’t do another daily and casuals are hurt when they can’t do another daily. So what you’re really saying is that we need more dailies so that no matter how long someone plays there’s always another daily they can do.

Fortunately for you, the game is slowly moving there. We now have daily achievements, daily boss chests, daily gatherings and daily craftings. For a lot of players there’s already another daily they can still do when they log out.

Actually I am saying cut the crap with all the dailies and time gated content for that matter. That was what I was thinking about anyway. Let players grind if they want to. The only way to level the playing field in terms of stats is by having no vertical progression at all. In other words, make the BIS equipment easy to obtain. Or in other words again, remove ascended crap. No need for laurels, no need for time gating.

I don’t care for rewards at all, or ascended gear. I have had my fun with the game and exhausted most of its content with 1500h+ played. The thing is, I am much more interested in challenge, content and character development. GW2 is lacking all three.

It has mutated from a promising game to a reward-monster that squeezes out shallow content on a 2-week basis. Everything that is important in the long run, like actual content, balancing, bug fixes and engine improvements is mostly being neglected.

A few days ago I stumbled upon an old GW2 news article showing lots of promising concepts and developer ideals. I am still waiting for that game to be released.