Personaly, I don't think Dailies are a good idea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

It’s pretty remarkable how free you’ll feel once you let go of that whole “needing things” in a virtual world.

No, you don’t need laurels. You don’t need to do your dailies. You don’t need to do fractals. If you do, you really need to revise the way (and why) you play games.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It takes me less time to finish the new dailies than it takes for my fiancée to watch her 20 minutes daily soap opera. I don’t see the problem.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s all in the mind. Anything you feel you have to do becomes a chore. I have chores that take me 20 minutes that I find eminently not enjoyable…I do them but I don’t enjoy doing them.

People who have convinced themselves they MUST do dailies won’t enjoy them. But if you don’t focus on dailies a lot of the time you get them anyway, without even trying.

The whole daily thing is just a mindset.

Posted by: Benjamin.6235

Benjamin.6235

Dailies are actually one of the bigger reasons that I’ve stopped playing. I resent games that pressure me to play every day. Not to mention that the grind goes against what they promised before release. I’m keeping tabs on this game to see if they go back to that original vision, but I doubt they’ll do anything to get me to return.

[DERP] – Maguuma

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

It’s pretty remarkable how free you’ll feel once you let go of that whole “needing things” in a virtual world.

No, you don’t need laurels. You don’t need to do your dailies. You don’t need to do fractals. If you do, you really need to revise the way (and why) you play games.

Agreed completely. The problem here is with the people that feel they NEED to do these things for whatever reason. Personally, I like the Dailies and I usually do them. Yesterday though, I didn’t feel like it so I skipped it. What did it hurt? I’m going to get my Ascended Amulet on Friday now instead of Thursday. Yet somehow, my life will go on and my character will still be perfectly viable for all the things he already does all the time like Guild Missions, Dungeons, PVE and WvW. Skipping that daily isn’t going to hinder my game play in any way.

It takes me less time to finish the new dailies than it takes for my fiancée to watch her 20 minutes daily soap opera. I don’t see the problem.

So true. My dailies take me between 15-25 minutes tops even at a casual pace. It doesn’t take long before you learn where to go to complete certain tasks for your daily.

If I decide I want to do it fast I can finish my daily before I can hard boil an egg.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Dailies are actually one of the bigger reasons that I’ve stopped playing. I resent games that pressure me to play every day. Not to mention that the grind goes against what they promised before release. I’m keeping tabs on this game to see if they go back to that original vision, but I doubt they’ll do anything to get me to return.

Bro, no one is forcing you to do dailies okay.
Yes I know Ascended items are annoying.

Being kitten over dailies in Gw2 is like being kitten in Guildwars the first over Zaishen missions.

Half the time you do your normal crap on Gw2 youd accomplish 1 – 3 dailies just like that.

And if you dont want to get your ascended from dailies go do Fractals.

Options, Anet finally giving us options.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Rewards for consistent play of this game have been hit with the nerfbat so often that your first 30 minutes per day is the most rewarding play, finish your monthly, and 1 bounty hunt per week. That last one, only if you’re in a guild that can run them.

If that’s how Anet is going to reward game play, I can play along because after 5k achievement points and over 2k hours in-game, I’m bored.

I have 5 level 80 characters, 4 of which I like, but I can’t gear them up so I’ve stopped playing them. I can’t rotate them through the bosses any more because those rewards are now account bound and I’m not taking them all to WvW because those ranks/abilities are character bound. That’s the sort of mentality that is driving players to log in, do the daily, and done.

Other issues? I’m bored with WvW as endgame and disappointed with the so-called WvW patch. Culling isn’t gone, it’s been replaced with a lag monster. The armor sets and weapons added are nothing we couldn’t get in PvE. Where are the WvW unique items? Where is an Ascended item that can by purchased with the existing currency of WvW?

It bugs me that all my kills/captures/yaks don’t count toward these new ranks and abilities. On the other hand, that is at least consistent with the new laurels currency. My 5k+ achievement points aren’t worth squat in terms of obtaining new gear. By bringing in another currency everyone is forced to start over, the very definition of a “gear grind”, but you know, “Anet doesn’t make grindy games, they leave that to other developers”.

tl;cr? The first 30 minutes of play are the most rewarding, so that’s what I’m doing and then logging out.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

(edited by Herr der Friedhoefe.2490)

Posted by: Shifty.5187

Shifty.5187

All this talk about not wanting to want the daily’s is simply the wrong attitude to take. If it so happens that a significant portion of the player base happens to dislike it, then it doesn’t matter they’re ‘wrong’ to dislike it; it should be taken into consideration.

From a psychological perspective it is nonsense to ask people to change what they want. It is not strange people want the best gear, and dailies are one of the quickest/easiest ways to get them; it also not strange they want to finish a collection (mini’s), so considering what people want, dailies force them to login every day and do the dailies. They are not ‘wrong’ in wanting to finish their collection in the most efficient manner, it is actually the most rational thing to do.
A company such as Anet should realize how their mechanics affect people and how they play, and they should be the ones to judge whether they like the effects it has on their customers. If they don’t, they should not expect their customers to change their play style. It’s near impossible to achieve and only breeds discontent. The best way to make people happy is to change the situation in such a way that it matches our psychological dispositions.

Lastly, from a more ideological standpoint I think dailies are pure garbage. If you have to resort to these kind of game mechanics to get people to play your game, your game has failed.

Which you can record and watch at another time if it so happens you were not capable of watching the show at a specific day. Not possible here.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Which you can record and watch at another time if it so happens you were not capable of watching the show at a specific day. Not possible here.

I don’t see the problem. 5 silver, 4.5k karma, a laurel and a coin. Boohoo big deal if I miss one of those. I rarely finish more than 4 dailies a week anyways. Yesterday I got my first pristine fractal ring. If you play casual, you’ll really appreciate the pacing of this game.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

As long as you have a choice I don’t see a problem. There’s nothing you can buy with laurels that you need to have.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Darth Llama.9217

Darth Llama.9217

From a psychological perspective it is nonsense to ask people to change what they want. It is not strange people want the best gear, and dailies are one of the quickest/easiest ways to get them; it also not strange they want to finish a collection (mini’s), so considering what people want, dailies force them to login every day and do the dailies.

Nothing is ‘forcing’ them to log in every single day. I get what you’re saying, they want that stuff, and that’s cool. But there is no penalty for taking a day off, you just don’t get a laurel for that 1 single day. Taking a day or two off doesn’t disqualify you from getting anything, you don’t lose your progress, you aren’t set back in any way.

If you want it bad enough, you log in to get it. In my case, I want all that stuff, but I also put a value on my time so I do it in moderation. If I don’t have time to log in for a day here or there it’s simply not a big deal. You’re only ‘forced’ to log in daily if it’s important to you to get the things you mentioned as soon as humanly possible. If that’s the case then you’re probably getting the stuff through other methods anyway since there are faster ways then doing dailies.

Dailies are for people that play causally and are happy getting the stuff and a slower but more casual pace. If you’re dead set on that Ascended Item, you’ll grind Fractals until you get it. If you’re not chomping at the bit to get it right away, you’ll get it through dailies when it’s convenient for you. No one is being forced to do anything.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand Binary, and those who don’t.

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

I don’t see the problem. 5 silver, 4.5k karma, a laurel and a coin. Boohoo big deal if I miss one of those. I rarely finish more than 4 dailies a week anyways. Yesterday I got my first pristine fractal ring. If you play casual, you’ll really appreciate the pacing of this game.

If you use karma banner, karma booster and karma food (ice cream) it goes up to 7200 karma per daily. I usually save up around 20 plus the monthly (another 10) and then convert them all together – which is 216000 karma. You can do a lot with that.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

They are not a friendly design to players… they not only stack rewards on hardcore players but they don’t really accomplish what should be their goal – "To get people to log in for a bit and see what their guild is doing and participate’s. While it is random, many days they are way too long and restrictive and people with limited time are stuck doing their dailies INSTEAD of those guild/world activities that would be more fun. The coin and laurel is way too valuable especially currently, when methods of getting ascended items are still very limited.

But here comes a bunch of people to defend them… for some unknown reason!

Weeklies and Monthlies are/would be much more interesting and less likely to cause you not to do things you want to do just to race the clock. If they must have dailies, they really should just be a ‘did I login and participate for a bit’ and not these totally random affairs that can’t take 10 minutes one day and an hour the next.

Vayne.8563

They are not a friendly design to players… they not only stack rewards on hardcore players but they don’t really accomplish what should be their goal – "To get people to log in for a bit and see what their guild is doing and participate’s. While it is random, many days they are way too long and restrictive and people with limited time are stuck doing their dailies INSTEAD of those guild/world activities that would be more fun. The coin and laurel is way too valuable especially currently, when methods of getting ascended items are still very limited.

But here comes a bunch of people to defend them… for some unknown reason!

Weeklies and Monthlies are/would be much more interesting and less likely to cause you not to do things you want to do just to race the clock. If they must have dailies, they really should just be a ‘did I login and participate for a bit’ and not these totally random affairs that can’t take 10 minutes one day and an hour the next.

We must be playing very different games. I’ve yet to see a daily that takes an hour….any of them. You only need to pick 5 of the 9 and one of them is always gathering. Anyone should be able to do that easily anywhere.

Which leaves four of eight. If you can’t find four of eight easy dailies that take a few minutes each, you’re doing something wrong.

Admittedly some stuff you may have to learn or look up (you can ask in map chat too), like where certain veterans can be found, but really, beyond that it’s very easy.

On most days there are kill variety, sometimes they’re crafting (which is as easy as making 10 wood planks), some days there’s kill 40 in a certain area (go to the lowest level zone and do it, it’ll take five minutes) but I can’t even think of a day when it should take more than half an hour, max, to do all the dailies.

Considering almost every day you can do most of them in a single zone.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I can’t even think of a day when it should take more than half an hour, max, to do all the dailies..

And if you only have two hours to play, that’s 25% of your play time your spending doing boring stuff, which to me, if bad.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Vayne.8563

I can’t even think of a day when it should take more than half an hour, max, to do all the dailies..

And if you only have two hours to play, that’s 25% of your play time your spending doing boring stuff, which to me, if bad.

Ah but that’s the real beauty of it. Because when I do interesting stuff, I incidentally get dailies anyway. Let’s say you have two hours to play and you like fractals. Well, doing the fractals will get you a percentage of your dailies on most days. Kill variety, etc.

So then, when you’re done with that, maybe you only have to do gathering and crafting. The total of those two should take you ten minutes.

if you like to PvP, you can get your daily doing just PvP.

If you like to WvW, most of your dailies can be gotten just running around. At the end of your play time, look and see what’s left.

Then you can do what you like and STILL complete your daily every day, usually in only a few minutes.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Okay, so what do you like to do and why are you fixated on doing “boring” stuff?

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

But, but the daily only takes 20m-30m to do and you can ignore it, play normally and then accidently do it while playing or just finish 1 or 2 things off in a few minutes…

Also, you don’t after do them everyday…you will still get the item your after sooner or later…its not really a race is it?

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Especially this kind of game….

Laurels aren’t a necessary component of the experience that you will be left behind without if you don’t log in every day. They are however an incentive for doing so, because if you log in every day and do just about anything short of standing and idling the entire time, you’ll achieve them.

First Dailies were a fixed set of categories that locked you into certain activities every day.

Then they made them a rotating pool that changed what was rewarded each day.

Then they made them a rotating pool of options to choose from, allowing people to different things to be rewarded even on the same day.

Then they made it so that Laurels were awarded for completing either the PvE or PvP categories.

I just can’t really imagine how the current system could be viewed as particularly onerous or restrictive. Try to shift your perspective rather than blaming the design.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

If you like to WvW, most of your dailies can be gotten just running around. At the end of your play time, look and see what’s left.

The end of my playtime is right after dailies reset. Rather annoying if you ask me.

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

QFMFT.

Don’t sit back and whine about “needing” things. It’s a game. If you’re not having fun, don’t do it. Really.

Posted by: Doujou.6951

Doujou.6951

I agree with the OP, and have felt this mental anguish. Weeklies in place of Dailies would be a perfect fix! It would net the same rewards, yet not force players to log on Daily to accomplish them. Brilliant!

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

The end of my playtime is right after dailies reset. Rather annoying if you ask me.

Oh come on! That means the majority of your playtime is firmly within the period for the previous dailies and you can get a look at the next day’s before you log off!

If you’d said “the reset comes exactly in the middle of my playtime every night” you’d have a slightly more compelling case to be annoyed. :P

I agree with the OP, and have felt this mental anguish. Weeklies in place of Dailies would be a perfect fix! It would net the same rewards, yet not force players to log on Daily to accomplish them. Brilliant!

It’s not that this is a bad or illogical sentiment, it’s just completely at cross purposes with the idea of dailies in general.

Dailies aren’t supposed to be a thing that all players just get regardless of how often, when, and how they play. They are designed to incentivize- reward- you for logging in on any given day. The underlying thought to this concept is that an active population logging in every day is beneficial to everyone else in-game on any given day.

Changing to weeklies would eliminate this advantage in favor of people logging on once a week. It sounds nice from the perspective on an individual player, but it wouldn’t be communally beneficial.

Instead, I’d like the addition of more weekly rewards that reset with the Guild Missions reset on Saturdays. Maybe some very tough open world content that gave a guaranteed drop better than the typical world bosses, an extra couple of laurels, or a choice of useful utility items (like Personal Story mission rewards).

(edited by Hawkian.6580)

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Dailies in this game are far better than any other MMO I’ve played. At least here you get a choice of what you want to do. And MOST of the time, just playing can accomplish them.

I’m in the camp of “if you don’t like it don’t do it.”

Last night, there were 4 of the “just play and you’ll get them” type. The 5th was not so much, so I decided to do the 5 mystic forge uses one. So on a low level alt, I crafted 20 pieces of cloth armor, and then fed them to Zommoros. Ended up getting 2 pieces back that I kept and are in my bag waiting for that toon to level enough to use them. Plus I advanced my tailor skill.

Posted by: Hatsumomo.5067

Hatsumomo.5067

I find that my daily gets done AS I PLAY. I rarely have to go out of my way to complete it. Oh, and guess what? I’ve missed a handful here and there. I’m not crying about it. It’s just a game.

Sunrin [Aco] – 80 elementalist
Jade Quarry

TooBz.3065

Okay, so what do you like to do and why are you fixated on doing “boring” stuff?

Actually, I fully acknowledge that my situation is a product of my own neurosis. If I only have a short period of time to play (let’s say I want to run a dungeon, or WvW), I log on and look at the daily list and feel like I have to do them first to get the laurel.

I know that I don’t have to get the laurel everyday, but (and this is the neurotic part) I feel an OCD like compulsion to do so. It just sits there mocking me 0/5 … 0/5 … 0/5.

So I do the daily and get the laurel, but I don’t enjoy it. I tend to do it first, before running off to WvW (most recently). I probably shouldn’t but I doubt I’m unique in this.

The reason I agree that they are a bad design is that for the last few days I’ve been playing more of another single person game and I’ve missed some dailys. And I kinda don’t want to log back on.

I’m obviously interested in the game, or I wouldn’t be here. I like the game for the most part. But, ugh, the though of gathering nodes, or killing enemies in Kryta, or… eh.

I also understand that daily’s serve a purpose. I understand that they provide a valuable time gate to slow the gear grind, which, theoretically, should allow me more time to play and less to grind.

I just wish there were a better way.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I haven’t read this whole thread, but isn’t every single ascended item available via laurels also available somewhere else? Are we going to argue about the other items, because that’s not a legitimate concern.

So if they have gear that’s available multiple ways, and you don’t like doing the daily for laurels, then do it the other way?

Posted by: Emosewa.9731

Emosewa.9731

The majority of people are missing the point in this thread. It’s not that anyone HAS to do them, or NEEDs to do them….it’s that the design creates a situation that causes players to feel like if they don’t do them they are missing out on something they need to get what they want. Does that mean the world will end? Of course not…but that doesn’t make it good design either.

For a great many players, dailies control what they do in the game…in a game that specifically made “play the way you want to play” their log line! And yes…it affects the more casual than the less casual. Take three groups of players:

The very casual that only have time to log in a few times a week…are screwed. They’re not going to get the items via hardcore routes as they are probably still level 5 or 6 in fractals. They’re going to get laurels very slowly as they may not even finish the monthly, let alone a daily more than twice a week. And when they DO get to log on, they feel compelled to do the daily as it’s the only slow path to getting what they want.

The average player probably has time to log in most nights, but not for a long period of time. Maybe an hour a night. For these people they are given a choice between doing the dailies or doing what they want to do. The problem is, a great many of these people will feel compelled to do the daily because they want to work towards progressing their character, and they get stuck in a rut of feeling like playing for fun costs them getting what they want on their character…which is not fun.

For the hardcore player…none of this matters. They are going to get the gear via other means, and they play so much that the time it takes to do a daily doesn’t matter. In fact…they play enough that they probably don’t even have to look at the dailies because they just happen.

Pro daily arguments that come from a stand point of “they just happen”, “it doesn’t take long to do them”, etc…are really irrelevant because those arguments support a play style that is completely unaffected by dailies.

Arguments of “they don’t give you much so it’s not a big deal if you miss them”…miss the point. As long as they are the ONLY avenue to attaining a currency that gives things people want…they pressure the player into playing a certain way and that is bad design.

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

I see only one issue with dailies: WvW players. WvW, like sPvP and PvE, is supposed to be a totally seperate playing system. They advertised it with “you can level up all the way to 80 in WvW, get gear in WvW blah blah” but it’s still not possible to complete dailies in WvW. If really lucky, then maybe you can (WvW objective, mob kills, gathers, jumping puzzle, eating food) but mostly not.

Imo WvW should have a seperate daily, like sPvP. Something like:

- take 3 supply camps
- take a tower
- take a keep
- kill 20 enemies

Here you go, some silver, some WXP and a laurel.

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

I haven’t read this whole thread, but isn’t every single ascended item available via laurels also available somewhere else? Are we going to argue about the other items, because that’s not a legitimate concern.

So if they have gear that’s available multiple ways, and you don’t like doing the daily for laurels, then do it the other way?

There are only 2 ways of acquiring Ascended gear: Laurels and FotM. Im excluding Guild Commendations because they only reward ascended Accessories, so players would still have to do the others to equip their chars. So, it ends up being Dailies and a single specific dungeon. That doesnt sound like a multitude of ways.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Ultimately, the problem is that nearly all the progression in this game is based around time than skill. Which is why it seems like a grind.

Even easy things, like dailies, are just another way to gate gear behind time, not skill.

It is bad design and contrary to everything that was good about GW1.

stof.9341

Hmm, I don’t remember a daily that couldn’t be completed entirely in WvW. Care to show an example ?

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

You usually get 3/4 of a daily done just playing normally for a short time.

I fail to see the issue.

And if you dont like them, dont do them, they are in no way required. No more than running every event in the game every day is….

They are required only if you make them so, and thats personal choice.

Posted by: Benjamin.6235

Benjamin.6235

QFMFT.

Don’t sit back and whine about “needing” things. It’s a game. If you’re not having fun, don’t do it. Really.

It’s not that I need things. It’s that the game wants me to log in every day and I don’t find that to be an enjoyable feeling. Tends to suck the fun out of it. So yeah, I’m not doing it by not playing GW2 anymore. There are plenty of other games out there that don’t pull this kind of grindy mmo nonsense. The kind of game I thought GW2 would be when I bought it. Bait and switch.

[DERP] – Maguuma

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Hmm, I don’t remember a daily that couldn’t be completed entirely in WvW. Care to show an example ?

today’s daily:

kill variety – don’t think this is possible in wvw? If it is, it would take a lot more time and be more risky than in pve…
ascalonian veteran killer – can’t be done in wvw
daily gatherer – can be done, 1/5
personal story completer – can’t be done in wvw
daily feast – can be done, 2/5
mystic forgesmith, can’t be done in wvw
costume brawl champion – can’t be done (ever seen anyone play cb in wvw?) except for if you’d organize it, in which case you’d be taking up map spots without helping the wvw and cripple your server
group event completer – can be done, 3/5
mists caravan disrupter – can be done 4/5

so that would give a 4/5, some other days it has been lower

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Any of the Ascalonian/Krytan/etc daily killers.

Also, I don’t think there are crafting stations in WvW, but I’m not sure.

However, it is easy to get dailies done in WvW. I don’t really think that is relevant to why dailies are bad.

stof.9341

There are mystic forges in the WvW. There are crafting stations too.

TooBz.3065

There are crafting stations in your home borderlands.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The majority of people are missing the point in this thread. It’s not that anyone HAS to do them, or NEEDs to do them….it’s that the design creates a situation that causes players to feel like if they don’t do them they are missing out on something they need to get what they want. Does that mean the world will end? Of course not…but that doesn’t make it good design either.

Except the daily system is not designed to have this effect. It’s a product of the individual player’s mind that he feels compelled to do them, not the game. The majority of casual players don’t care, and aren’t even aware that this is an issue because right now they are out living their lives and working at their jobs and so on, and when they log into the game they play a while and log out.

The behavior you describe is a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which is in no way a casual thing. If you go to work and have this itchy feeling in the back of your skull that you left the stove on after cooking breakfast, this is normal. If you have to check the stove five times before you start the car this is not normal.

I like to do the dailies because they are easy (especially now that it’s choose-your-own) and because they give me some slight benefit. I’m doing stuff I’d do anyway, get a bonus reward of some loot and some xp for my alts. And every five days I buy a set of 10 unidentified dyes and sell them for some extra gold.

Yes! I use all my laurels instead of stockpiling them to buy Ascended gear for all my toons! Because guess what… ASCENDED GEAR IS MEANINGLESS TO CASUAL PLAYERS. If you care about BIS gear, you’re not casual.

It’s because of this that to casuals, dailies will never be IMPORTANT STUFF. I can, and have, skipped dailies several days in a row, even stopped logging in to the game for weeks at a time, because I got bored or had other things to do. I didn’t do the daily Saturday night and haven’t done last night’s either, I logged in for a bit and ate some food and threw junk into the MF but that’s it so far. I’ll probably complete the gathering and other stuff this evening, but if not, it doesn’t really matter.

My wife is even more casual than I am, she doesn’t even know what laurels are used for or what exotic and ascended gear is. She just likes playing the game and thinks I’m wasting my time reading these forums. She’s right, of course, but it passes the time…

There are over three million potential players who can log on whenever they want and play this game. The vast majority of them don’t care how many achievement points they have, whether they complete the daily every day, or even how long it will take to gear up their characters via laurel-based purchases. It’s just not an issue unless you choose to make it one.

The entire problem exists within your mind, not with the game.

TooBz.3065

Yes! I use all my laurels instead of stockpiling them to buy Ascended gear for all my toons! Because guess what… ASCENDED GEAR IS MEANINGLESS TO CASUAL PLAYERS. If you care about BIS gear, you’re not casual.

I don’t want to get into a semantic fight over this. But earlier in the thread it was asserted that the distinction between casual and hardcore was that for hardcore players dailies just happen because they play so much.

Now, it is asserted that the difference between casual and hardcore is whether you care about ascended gear.

I don’t care what definition we use as long as it is recognized that there can exist a group of people can both care about ascended gear and find daily’s to be a terrible chore.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Agree with OP. I’ve missed quite a few laurels due to work or other real life reasons, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s just not worth it. I don’t bother with dailies much any more. As a matter of fact, I am quickly losing interest in GW2 because I’m falling farther and farther behind on the time-gated gear grind that I thought ArenaNet games were famous for not having.

I enjoyed the SAB, but the only thing gear counts for in there is the skin.

So…I’ll probably log back on to check on the new SAB worlds as they are added, but I don’t care about the rest of GW2 anymore.

Why? Dailies = gear grind (yawn), and sPvP is most certainly not Guild Wars quality PvP. So what’s left?

PS: here’s what would get me back into the game regularly – if ArenaNet said they were done with Ascended gear and wouldn’t release any more. Only then would I suck up the existing grind, because there’d be a light at the end of the tunnel. I wouldn’t feel like dailies were a job after that.

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

People keep mixing up that those who want max stats are also those who want to grind. This is false on so many levels. You can’t justify grind and boring because you want max stats, that’s just unfair.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

People keep mixing up that those who want max stats are also those who want to grind. This is false on so many levels. You can’t justify grind and boring because you want max stats, that’s just unfair.

They are one in the same but they do not like to think so. Though who do want max stats is because they want something to work for in effect they want some type of grind to make there work feel like its worth something.
If a person is happy with having high enofe stats that person pulls them self comply out of making them self grind but they have less to work for if any thing at all.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Uruz Six.6594

Uruz Six.6594

There will be a segment of the populace who actively want to grind for better gear. There will be a segment of the populace who actively do not want to grind for better gear. Arenanet tries to thread the needle by giving a grind for better gear without making the better gear necessary for everything but the high level grind content. No system is, however, perfect, for there are those who will still complain because someone with more time still has better gear than they do. C’est la vie.

Skoryy, sylvari thief: “Act now, figure out ‘with wisdom’ later.”
Nanuchka, norn mesmer: “BOOZEAHOL!”
Tarnished Coast – Still Here, El Guapo!

Posted by: Dangbat.2804

Dangbat.2804

But these dailies are super easy…

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Oh boy! I wake up and find another complaint thread. Allow me to post my 2 cents on your issue.

Dailies are horrible. In every game. The fastest way to make a game go from fun to a job…is adding dailies. And if you add a daily that rewards a currency type that is attainable in no other way…it’s just plain kitten poor design.

Anything that forces players to feel like the MUST log in DAILY or fall behind on their quest for whatever they want is terrible. When I get home from a long day at work, finish dinner, put the kid to bed, and feel like kicking back and watching a little TV or reading a book before bed…but suddenly remember “Oh Crap, I have to log in and get my daily for that stupid Laurel”…I get overcome with a desire to punch someone. Well, ok, not overcome :-)…but seriously, who thinks this is a reasonable way to treat the player base?

I’m sorry…that came out more rant-like than I intended…but the whole idea of dailies just makes me angry.

Give 30 laurels or 40 laurels or whatever you want for the monthly and just give gold and exp and karma for the stupid dailies already. Or 7 for weeklies that can be finished in a single play session.

Dailies. Are. Poor. Design.

/rant off

Just because you’re not able to log in daily, doesn’t mean a game company needs to mold their rewards around your personal playing preferences. You are one out of millions of players. I’m sorry that you can’t play all the time. But please consider that there are others who do log in daily, and do like earning the rewards.

Now to cover another side of this. Doing dailies is 1) optional and 2) not a chore. Heck, some people actually find it fun to play the game. If you feel like you have to do the dailies to get the rewards, then you have the choice between doing them, or not doing them. Just like how you may feel you have to beat the game. You aren’t required to slay the dragon, as it’s optional.

My apologies if any of my responses were covered earlier. I only glanced at the other posts.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Lolicia.6502

Lolicia.6502

I also got tired of all this time gated content and tired of having to log in every day so as not to fall behind (or at least have my alts fall behind, and they help make the game fresh). So now I will rarely log in. The poor game has fallen so far from its original manifesto.

Sabetha Sylvanshade, Sylvari Necromancer
Beatrice The Bloody, Norn Engineer
Gate of Madness

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

They are one in the same but they do not like to think so. Though who do want max stats is because they want something to work for in effect they want some type of grind to make there work feel like its worth something.
If a person is happy with having high enofe stats that person pulls them self comply out of making them self grind but they have less to work for if any thing at all.

They aren’t one in the same. GW1 did it, GW2 doesn’t.(2 different games I know, but in this regards, they have the same mindeset.) There is a statistical difference now between those who grind and those who don’t. People want max stats to be as effective as possible. You can be as effective as possible stat wise and not play all the time, it’s possible, just not in this game anymore. It’s not purely cosmetics anymore. You are generalizing people who want max stats without the grind. They exist, trust me.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

dailies are purely optional.. you don’t HAVE TO do it… why do you feel the need to do it ? laurel for those ascended shinies ? they are just a few stats more, at total max +50 stats more as compare to exotics if you have all 5 trinkets, if you focus on any particular stats…

consider them as …bonus… something that you can live without…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

They aren’t one in the same. GW1 did it, GW2 doesn’t.(2 different games I know, but in this regards, they have the same mindeset.) There is a statistical difference now between those who grind and those who don’t. People want max stats to be as effective as possible. You can be as effective as possible stat wise and not play all the time, it’s possible, just not in this game anymore. It’s not purely cosmetics anymore. You are generalizing people who want max stats without the grind. They exist, trust me.

GW2 is far bigger then GW1 was there more ppl that want different things and they tend to be a larger pop then though who liked GW1. At the same time GW1 was NOT an mmorpg like GW2 so… its a comply different game its like comparing a DOOM game to an FF game. Its your own hang ups with having max stats not the game. You can do every thing but high level fractals with out max stats and for fractals its simply the AR you need. This game is not by the numbers like all other mmorpgs you can roll and move out of attks with speed and effectiveness. You may need max stats to play but that dose not make up all the skill you need to effectively play the harder events. Skill > max stats in GW2 its not like WoW where its the other way.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA