Dailies are burning people out

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

Achievement points mean nothing.

They mean nothing and that’s why they are the metric that Anet uses for leaderboards ranking: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/achievements

Posted by: Remillard.8691

Remillard.8691

Seeing as most people here are unable to comprehend what I am asking for, or even why a completionist would feel compelled to complete all dailies, I will stop responding to this thread.

I hope Anet is already aware of the issue and will eventually fix it.

I think most everyone comprehends. There is not an issue with the game, and nothing to fix. Having a variety of dailies to do serves a broad swath of the player base. It lets them get a daily achievement while pursuing their own interests by and large. Thus saying you can take a selection of 5 categories out of a provided 10 gives variety and flexibility.

Feeling like one much chase EVERY DAILY ACHIEVEMENT EVERY DAY is not ArenaNet’s concern. That’s a concern for the player themselves and hopefully their therapist. If that’s a goal the player has chosen to pursue, it’s up to them to either put in the time to achieve said goal, or (IMHO quite rationally) choose to pursue a different goal.

The only thing I can think of for ArenaNet to do would be to remove rewarding achievement points for dailies completed above and beyond the ones awarding the daily reward. Given the rewards associated with acquiring achievement points, the occasional “extra” point here and there tends to add up and aids everyone in that goal, I find it extremely unlikely that they would remove that little perk.

As others have said, the issue is with the term “completionist” and that hideously abused phrase “play the way you want”. Only the most trollish or the most foolish would believe that phrase indicates there are absolutely zero limits on what one would want.

TL;DR — Grow up. Seek therapy.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

If you ask the 1000 players on the top 1000 ranking how they feel, over 9000 of them will agree that the PvE dailies are too much. People are literally quitting the game because of this issue, I just want Anet to be aware of it.

I’m in the top 500 I think. If I’m at home I’ll try fit the time in to do all the pve/wvw/pvp dailies. Whenever I log in they’re the first thing to be done, then if I have time I get on with doing something I feel like doing.

I enjoy playing pvp so that one isn’t an issue. WvW I also enjoy, and do it regularly, but some days I don’t feel like spending an indefinite amount of time going after 10 kills because frankly some times when you’re in wvw the kills just aren’t there. WvW kills can take anywhere between 5 minutes to 2 hours. Honestly I think the kills should be on rotation like the others.

Some days you get a sweet roll where you don’t even have to try to do all the pve dailies, and you can do whatever you want straight after logging in, but some days they’re annoyingly long, between 1-2 hours for the full set of dailies (pve, pvp, wvw).

The main problem is all this temporary content, I and no one else can do it as we please, it HAS to be done every day for 1-2 weeks, then it is taken away, and replaced with another, and again you HAVE to do only that, or you’ll miss out on the content. It stops you from playing the game how you want, be it more time in wvw, more time in pvp, or more time in fotm or dungeons etc. The temporary content is a joke. And SAB needs to be permanent, it is hands down the best thing in any MMO.

Before achievement rewards I only did every daily perhaps 4 out of 7 days a week (there were also less of them at this point), with achievement rewards I try to do them all everyday because let’s face it, dailies are the only way to expand your total significantly to reach each milestone. I don’t care about the leaderboards, it’s the account rewards I’m after.

I won’t be ‘quitting the game’ over it, because it is my choice to do them or not.

But I’ll admit I’d like the pve dailies to be cut back to 5, like they used to be. So 5 pve, 3 wvw, 4 pvp.

But also on top of the dailies, is now the ascended mats daily. You need to go log and mine a rather vast amount of t2-t5 each day for the daily materials and it feels a bit like runescape let’s be honest here.

Hmm turns out I’m actually rank 285 just had a look.

(edited by Have No Faith In Me.1840)

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

I don’t do dailies everyday. I’m against the idea of forcing players to do a list of things they may not want to do. Playing Guild Wars should be about doing what you enjoy. Dailies makes it feel like you have chores to do before u get to go play. That’s not fun. Dailies and Monthlies should be eliminated. They should just drop the laurels currency idea. Instead make used of karma points to purchase Ascended Trinkets. But you can only purchase one item bi-weekly, which is about the rate at which they want you to acquire the gears.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Regarding the farming mat comment about ascended mats, i recommend just run cof p1/p2 (2.5g~) and AC p1/p3 (3.5g~) = 6g~ can be done in a 1 to 1.5 hrs.
That shld be more than enough money to do the daily part for the ascneded, that is my recommendation instead of running around for mats.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Achievement points mean nothing.

They mean nothing and that’s why they are the metric that Anet uses for leaderboards ranking: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/achievements

Those are achievement leaderboards, of course they count achievements for them.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Regarding the farming mat comment about ascended mats, i recommend just run cof p1/p2 (2.5g~) and AC p1/p3 (3.5g~) = 6g~ can be done in a 1 to 1.5 hrs.
That shld be more than enough money to do the daily part for the ascneded, that is my recommendation instead of running around for mats.

But that is no different to running around farming them, you’re spending the same amount of time to get it, and it takes a while.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I think a possible solution for this is to cap the PvE dailies at 10AP/day. This would let the game have more of the advertised “play how you want” feel.

As opposed to now, where you can ‘play how you want’ anyway?

Your friends wanted to do every daily. They weren’t forced at gunpoint, or hypnotized into doing it. It was a conscious decision on their behalf to attempt to get all Dailies done.

I’m not seeing how something like this is the games fault.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

I know people will say “You don’t HAVE to do all the dailies”. .

anyone who say that is delusional, because dailies are the only way to obtain laurels, besides now with the chest for achivements points, you kinda too are forced to do them all for more ap

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I remember killing one guy twice in an SPvP match and he would whisper me (mean?) things in french and then instantly blocked me and changed match. I checked his name and he had like 12k ap (at the time it was top 100 EU?) so I guess I disturbed his AP farm…

Since that day, I had very little compassion for people like that. So yeah, they brought it on themselves.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I know people will say “You don’t HAVE to do all the dailies”. .

anyone who say that is delusional, because dailies are the only way to obtain laurels

But you only have to do 5 out of the selection.

OP is talking about people who try to do every single one, even after obtaining the Laurel.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Seeing as most people here are unable to comprehend what I am asking for, or even why a completionist would feel compelled to complete all dailies, I will stop responding to this thread.

I hope Anet is already aware of the issue and will eventually fix it.

I’m a completionist, and there’s a difference between a mild case of OCD and a severe case that can cause real life problems. They have a severe case, and they need to learn NOT to OCD on every little thing (trust me, I learned to do that when I attempted to 100% Star Ocean: Till the End of Time).

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Edit: In other words, it is not the dailies that burn people out but the desire to be on top of the leaderboard.

Yes, I agree. But Anet advertises GW2 as a game where you can “play the way you want to play”. Yet, if you want to compete with the leaderboards you can’t play the way you want to play.

If I have 4 hours to commit to the game on a given day, I’d love to spend 2 hours doing my dailies, an hour in dungeons, and an hour in WvW. Instead, on some days I have to spend the entire 4 hours doing dailies if I wish to remain on the leaderboard.

If chasing score is way you and your friends chosen to play, then how can you not play way you want? That is way you want to play, right? Because if its not and someone is forcing you to play like that, call the police!

You still have a choice, play what you enjoy or chase some meaningless points for some meaningless leaderboard. Because in 20 years you will proudly look back and say: “Yes thats me, i was positioned 78th on GW2 achivement leaderboard, dont you recognize me people?”

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

Because in 20 years you will proudly look back and say: “Yes thats me, i was positioned 78th on GW2 achivement leaderboard, dont you recognize me people?”

You can say the same about anything an average person will accomplish in their life… What’s your point?

Most people enjoy being competitive for the sake of competitiveness, not to earn something that they can tell their grandchildren about.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

This is not Anet’s fault. Personally, I enjoy doing dailies and I don’t let a game control my life. If I don’t have time to do them, I won’t.
Some people can’t control themselves. It’s better that these guys quit the game just for their own safety. They’re just taking care of their own sanity. But OP doesn’t need to come out here and say Anet’s at fault and dailies need to go. I can handle myself thanks. I have common sense.

you forgot the generation we are in. We are in a generation where someone spills coffee on themselves and sues Mcdonalds for the coffee being hot, and she wins. Or where a person trips over a child running around in a store, and sues the store for “allowing” children to run around, the ironic thing is the person tripped over their own child, and they won the law suit. So of course it is Anets fault, /sigh

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is not Anet’s fault. Personally, I enjoy doing dailies and I don’t let a game control my life. If I don’t have time to do them, I won’t.
Some people can’t control themselves. It’s better that these guys quit the game just for their own safety. They’re just taking care of their own sanity. But OP doesn’t need to come out here and say Anet’s at fault and dailies need to go. I can handle myself thanks. I have common sense.

you forgot the generation we are in. We are in a generation where someone spills coffee on themselves and sues Mcdonalds for the coffee being hot, and she wins. Or where a person trips over a child running around in a store, and sues the store for “allowing” children to run around, the ironic thing is the person tripped over their own child, and they won the law suit. So of course it is Anets fault, /sigh

Off-topic but just for the record the story about the woman suing McDonalds sounds a lot more reasonable when you hear the full story – specifically that she received 3rd degree burns (through her clothes) and needed a skin graft in hospital to recover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

(Also she was 79 when it happened, back in 1994 so unlikely to be part of whatever generation you mean by “the one we are in”.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Off-topic but just for the record the story about the woman suing McDonalds sounds a lot more reasonable when you hear the full story – specifically that she received 3rd degree burns (through her clothes) and needed a skin graft in hospital to recover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

(Also she was 79 when it happened, back in 1994 so unlikely to be part of whatever generation you mean by “the one we are in”.)

Generation, as in the Frivolous Litigation Generation

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

I am a slow poke, and it takes me 30 min maximum, with fetching a toddler around.
And when I don’t feel like doing them, well, than I just ignore them. They’re not mandatory.

show me a video of you doing:

3 pvp matches (with 3 point captures, 5 player kills, 1 top stats ofc)
50 kills
20 Gatherings
4 Events in the Maguuma Jungle
15 dodges
10 items crafted
1 jumping puzzle done
1 story/explorable dungeon
5 caravans killed in wvw
10 inemy invaders killed in wvw
1 tower captured in wvw

in under 30 minutes with showing you how you take care of your toddler at the same time
you would never make this in under 30 minutes
NEVER

i bet you wouldnt even do this in under 1 hour…
if you are unlucky with wvw time (especially on some low rank wvw servers) + maguuma events + pvp games it may take you a lot longer!!

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

And yes, they are not mandatory to most people, but for the minority that is trying to compete with their server’s top achievement point ranking they are. If you are not able to commit 4 hours on any given weekday then you WILL drop down in ranks. This commitment is a little much to ask I think.

You may say it is not an issue, but it clearly is. Two of my friends QUIT the game because of this.

- Yeah there’s a thing calling gaming addiction. You might want to see a doctor about that.

Posted by: vonbek.4810

vonbek.4810

So it is somehow the games fault because these “Hardcore” players are choosing of their own free will to do all the dailies. Even though you only need five, thats rich! People need to stop throwing blame around I swear.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The basic concept of leader boards is to display the results of a competition. Hardcore play and competition means dedicating the time and effort needed to compete or complete tasks to a degree that less dedicated individuals cannot.

What would the point of hardcore play and competition be if the effort required to compete/complete tasks were reduced so as to make them more easily attained by the playerbase as a whole.

No offense OP, by definition asking for the tasks or competition to be made easier for you (or your friends) means that they are not, or were never, hardcore players. The paraphrased request, “please make X easier so that it doesn’t take as long or require as much effort,” is about as anti-hardcore as you can get.

Posted by: boondocksaint.6529

boondocksaint.6529

It is good they quit. Seriously, if a daily quest that is supposed be something enjoyable stresses them out they need to stop playing video games altogether and prioritize their lives. Such feeling are signs of a deeper problem, perhaps an addiction. Recommend they get help and allow the rest of us to enjoy the game.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I am a slow poke, and it takes me 30 min maximum, with fetching a toddler around.
And when I don’t feel like doing them, well, than I just ignore them. They’re not mandatory.

50 kills
20 Gatherings
15 dodges
10 items crafted
1 jumping puzzle done
5 caravans killed in wvw
1 tower captured in wvw

in under 30 minutes with showing you how you take care of your toddler at the same time
NEVER

if you are unlucky with wvw time (especially on some low rank wvw servers) + maguuma events + pvp games it may take you a lot longer!!

Only 5 of those are needed to complete the daily. The rest are optional if you are like the OP chasing the leader of achievement points…lol.

NONE of the rest are needed otherwise.

OP is asking for them to be restricted because they don’t want to do them since they feel they are loosing some kind of race…lol…with achievement points.

No reason presented is compelling enough to limit anything beyond the OP not wanting to chase them for the achievemeht leader board.

If someone wants to chase points for the achievement point leader board…lol…, let them. The achievement point leader board is a joke anyway. Means nothing beyond you ground out enough stuff to get some points so it is basically somewhat of a measure of time you spent in the game.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Orangensaft.7139

50 kills
20 Gatherings
15 dodges
10 items crafted
1 jumping puzzle done
5 caravans killed in wvw
1 tower captured in wvw

NEVER

Only 5 of those are needed to complete the daily. The rest are optional if you are like the OP chasing the leader of achievement points…lol.

OP is asking for them to be restricted because they don’t want to do them since they feel they are loosing some kind of race…lol…with achievement points.

No reason presented is compelling enough to limit anything beyond the OP not wanting to chase them for the achievemeht leader board.

If someone wants to chase points for the achievement point leader board…lol…, let them. The achievement point leader board is a joke anyway. Means nothing beyond you ground out enough stuff to get some points so it is basically somewhat of a measure of time you spent in the game.

EXACTLY!!!

OP is refering to ALL dailies
so why did you feel a need to tell us he can do 5 daily points in under 30 minutes in comparison to the 2-4 hours the OP was talking about ???

why do you compare completing the 5 easiest dailies with ALL DAILIES???
your post was just senseless thats why i quoted you!!

i agree that noone is forced to do the dailies and i dont see any need for a change
i just cant stand people who compare 2 totally different things and see that as an argument in their favor…
you could have just said the argument that is logic: noone is forced to do it and if it was possible to get all possible achievement points in 1 hours were would be the content for hardcore players

but saying that you can do the 5 easiest pve only daily points in under 30 minutes BRINGS N O T H I N G to the discussion about doing ALL PvE and PvP dailies

26x lvl 80 Characters

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

whenever i log on… the idea i have daily to complete sometimes make me logging off, even if i try to complete only 5.
i can’t bear to see them on my ui all day until i’m done, and when i finished with it, monthly appear…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

CreativeAnarchy.6324

50 kills
20 Gatherings
15 dodges
10 items crafted
1 jumping puzzle done
5 caravans killed in wvw
1 tower captured in wvw

NEVER

EXACTLY!!!

so why did you feel a need to tell us he can do 5 daily points in under 30 minutes in comparison to the 2-4 hours the OP was talking about ???

i agree that noone is forced to do the dailies and i dont see any need for a change
i just cant stand people who compare 2 totally different things and see that as an argument in their favor…
you could have just said the argument that is logic: noone is forced to do it and if it was possible to get all possible achievement points in 1 hours were would be the content for hardcore players

but saying that you can do the 5 easiest pve only daily points in under 30 minutes BRINGS N O T H I N G to the discussion about doing ALL PvE and PvP dailies

You were asking to see how all that stuff is done under a certain amount of time and those that were doing dailies under a certain amount of time were referring to completion of daily, not doing all.

No one really cares about doing the rest unless you are trying to lead the leader board and there isn’t a compelling argument to remove those.

I like having the rest of the achievements to do if I feel like setting a personal goal so I don’t care to see them limited just because someone feels like they are loosing.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Bull. Some days yes, but not most.

Anyway OP was talking about doing ALL dailies, not just the 5 for reward.

Orangensaft.7139

50 kills
20 Gatherings
15 dodges
10 items crafted
1 jumping puzzle done
5 caravans killed in wvw
1 tower captured in wvw

NEVER

EXACTLY!!!

You were asking to see how all that stuff is done under a certain amount of time and those that were doing dailies under a certain amount of time were referring to completion of daily, not doing all.

No one really cares about doing the rest unless you are trying to lead the leader board and there isn’t a compelling argument to remove those.

I like having the rest of the achievements to do if I feel like setting a personal goal so I don’t care to see them limited just because someone feels like they are loosing.

did you even read what i just wrote when i quoted you the 2nd time?

26x lvl 80 Characters

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

dungeons daily coins
world bosses daily chest
daily refinement (150 ori/ancient)
daily laurels
daily ori node gather
………………….
achievement hunt
biweekly living story
lvling alts
farming mats/gold
wuvwuv exp
trading housing
……………
burn out sounds about right..

CreativeAnarchy.6324

50 kills
20 Gatherings
15 dodges
10 items crafted
1 jumping puzzle done
5 caravans killed in wvw
1 tower captured in wvw

NEVER

EXACTLY!!!

did you even read what i just wrote when i quoted you the 2nd time?

I did, I’m not totally sure what point you were trying to make. I think your point was trying to validate or not another point in the conversation.

I also was not the one comparing doing the daily and doing all the dailiy points. I don’t really feel your post and others saying they are easy to knock out are quite totally relevent. Most that say they are easy are only thinking about doing enough for the daily and not trying to get all.

Posted by: Coffee.7058

Coffee.7058

The dailies are too much, even for hardcore players.

I just had two friends quit the game within the past week because they could not afford to spend 2-4 hours every single day to get all dailies done. These friends were both hardcore – one with 12501 AP and other with 10339 AP.

I know people will say “You don’t HAVE to do all the dailies”. But, the truth is hardcore players will try to stay on the rankings and will try to do all of them every day.

I think a possible solution for this is to cap the PvE dailies at 10AP/day. This would let the game have more of the advertised “play how you want” feel.

Lol what?!?

Try wow.

Team Peenk

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Farmers are burning themselves out too…cause they are idiots. I do dailies nearly every day. But I make it fun for me. 40 kills in Ascalon? A good excuse to do map completion there on a lower level character. Plus I love WvW, so thats 2-3 done without any extra effort. The AP leaderboards are dumb. I love collecting achievements…on xbox, on steam, on GW2, but its not to be the top of any leaderboard I assure you.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

The dailies are too much, even for hardcore players.

I just had two friends quit the game within the past week because they could not afford to spend 2-4 hours every single day to get all dailies done. These friends were both hardcore – one with 12501 AP and other with 10339 AP.

I know people will say “You don’t HAVE to do all the dailies”. But, the truth is hardcore players will try to stay on the rankings and will try to do all of them every day.

What?

It’s still “play how you want” even without cap. You want to be at the top? Work for it. It’s not a “get what you want” game.

People like your group feels burned out because you are pressuring yourselves to be at the top. You wanted those. You guys wanted to be at the top rank consistently, work for it. Others can do it without whining – why can’t you?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Solkard.5136

Solkard.5136

I don’t feel it’s Anet’s fault, because it is their job to make an enjoyable game that promotes participation. That you or anyone can’t control themselves, is not Anet’s fault. It is not their job to make something less enjoyable for you, to disuade you from participating and mannage your other responsibilities.

@OP

The premise that your friends were “burned out” by the dailies does not make sense. For them to be burned out means that they were logging on to do nothing but dalies. That implies they weren’t enjoying any aspect of the game other than doing dailies. That means that they “burned out” on the game a long time ago and were only keeping up their attendence to participate in dailies.

From that perspective, your friends “should” have stopped playing the game a long time ago. That they’ve been compelled to stop doing dailies, which in turn results in them not playing the game at all, means they’ve finally noticed their situation. Bravo to them.

It doesn’t matter if you or your friends are OCD and have completionist issues. That is again, your/their issue; to be managed by your/themselves.

I am not advocating the desertion of the game. Rather that people not only maintain a healthly state of consumption, but that everyone needs to realize that their mental/physical health is ultimately their own responsibility. Stop blaming a game if you can’t stop playing it.

I hope you and your friends will one day have better a better grasp on your/their compulsions. Maybe then you/they will be in a better position to enjoy all of the game’s aspects.

(edited by Solkard.5136)

Posted by: Gufuu.6384

Gufuu.6384

Yes, if you are doing PvE/PvP stuff then you can probably do your daily in 30 minutes, its relatively easy for you PvX guys. Although i think they should make it take less than 10 minutes max to get your daily done whether you are doing PvX or WvW. Unfortunately If you play mostly WvW like myself then you are out of luck because it may take a few HOURS to complete your daily – very one sided. i actually want to ENJOY WvW and the game so i dont focus on doing dailies everyday.

Ranger
Playing since headstart.

(edited by Gufuu.6384)

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

uh ya takes like 20 minutes to login and do a daily. No reason to do them ALL not like they give a big reward after.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

doesn’t matter, gem store sales still strong.

those players will be back after they have taken their well deserved break.

all is good and well.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I do all the non PvP dailys. No WvW, and no SPvP most days anyway…and it takes under an hour.

I usually just play and get most of them, then finish off the last couple at the end of the play session.

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I don’t understand the viewpoint of “completionist have a problem with repeatable content”. Do they also salvage items until they’ve done agent of entropy 250 times?
How did they ever get out of Sanctum Sprint (or any other repeatable activity/achievement).

It’s quite simple:

There is no rush to complete the achievements you mentioned because they are permanent.

Dailies, on the other hand, if you miss one it is gone forever. You can never go back and get it again.

I view this issue as a conflict between two groups.

I don’t think you have those groups down quite right. The people who have been completing every daily and have 10k+ points fit more into the group that wants to play the game. However, when the dailies take 4 hours on some days, and you add work/family/school into the equation, this starts to become a chore after a few months.

All I’m asking is to cap the number of AP at 10 per day, that way both the people who can’t always commit 4 hours, and the people who want to do more than just 5 dailies will be satisfied.

I’m sure 90% of the people with 10k+ achievement points will agree with me because every single one that I have spoken with seemed to share the same opinion.

You know what else is gone forever if you miss it? Real life.

Ranger//Necro

Posted by: gNatFreak.6739

gNatFreak.6739

So few people on the first page read the entire post

But yes, I know exactly what you mean TexRob. I didn’t really care about AP until the whole dailies give laurels thing, and sometime after that I found myself caring about AP (before the AP rewards update). Right now I have ~8300 AP.

It began with extra free time, and ended with realizing that I had been forcing myself to get every single daily achievement every day. Normally, it would take around 2 and a half hours to complete every daily pve and pvp achievement (since sometimes it would take ages to have my world cap a tower as well as slow dungeon runs). Thus, if I wanted to not fall behind in AP, I would have no time to actually play the game (rather than run around trying to complete the dailies).

I actually did quit GW2 because of it, roughly 4 weeks ago or so; completely lost interest in the game after I stopped having time to every daily achievement. I mostly only bother with the living story now, and try to squeeze in time for the 4 Daily PvP achievements to get the laurel. Completing the maximum number of daily achievements is a real chore.

In my opinion, PvE achievement points ought to be capped at 5. This would prove beneficial in promoting the Living Story (as those achievements would effectively contribute more to one’s total AP the fewer daily APs one can obtain) as well as other aspects of the game. I really cannot see a good argument one can make against limiting the daily obtainable AP. All the daily achievements would still be there, so if you like doing all of them then you still can. However, only the first 5 daily achievements give AP.

(edited by gNatFreak.6739)

Vayne.8563

I gave up chasing the AP train a couple of months back and posted about it then. I have over 11,000 achievement points anyway but I won’t kill myself to get a few more each day, so I would imagine I’ll eventually slip from first place in my guild.

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

Some people just have this fixation with completion. I can empathize. But if those people think it is the game and not them, then they will be disappointed when they move on to their next fixation.

Maybe they could sell you tokens in the store to complete dailies without doing them?
:D

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Gotta call BS on this one. Dailies simply do not take 2-4 hours. I’m a slow plodding player and I can knock some out in a half hour if I want to. I think they have done a decent job with the dailies and they now properly represent reward for playing the game. And, they allow for a variety of playstyles—all good stuff.

What is problematic is temporary content with time-limited achievements. There is a formula for burnout. True, nobody’s holding as gun to your head but just the same I don’t like it. Imagine if the living world was evolving in a permanent manner with achievements that could be completed any time you felt like it. Now there is a system that respects the player.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

Maybe they’re getting burnt out on trying to be a completionist in a game with thousands and thousands of hours of pve content alone, and likely as much to fill out your WvW and PvP achievements too.

If they can’t keep up with the hardcore super elite leaderboards crew… then they can’t. Your complaint is akin to competing in a national sports team, then saying you don’t think other teams should be able to train 40 hours a week because your team only wants to train for 10.

If they want to be competitive, they need to put up or shut up.

Posted by: Airala.8629

Airala.8629

There’s achievement point rankings?

And people actually care where they rank?

Wow… learn something new every day.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I do all the dailies except for wvw ones. I simply don’t have the time for them. Sometimes wvw dailies can be quick, sometimes not.

I am just under 10k. There isn’t much left for me to complete really. Few dungeons, few others here and there. At this point the players on top, will stay on top unless they stop playing. They do all the dailies every day to stay there, and there is really no catching them.

Guess I am ok with that. I don’t need to be the top, I just like collecting points and getting my next chest.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Um ya…put a 10 AP cap on someone with 10k points, but leave me out of that. I am trying to get to the 4k mark on a limited play schedule. Mostly i can get my dailies and monthlies but it’s nice to also get some major points in a weekend by taking on a bunch of JPs or maxing crafting. I would be pretty mad if i got capped at 10 because Joe Overachiever is gonna cry cuz he can’t be leaderboard king. Gimme a break.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Vayne.8563

Gotta call BS on this one. Dailies simply do not take 2-4 hours. I’m a slow plodding player and I can knock some out in a half hour if I want to. I think they have done a decent job with the dailies and they now properly represent reward for playing the game. And, they allow for a variety of playstyles—all good stuff.

What is problematic is temporary content with time-limited achievements. There is a formula for burnout. True, nobody’s holding as gun to your head but just the same I don’t like it. Imagine if the living world was evolving in a permanent manner with achievements that could be completed any time you felt like it. Now there is a system that respects the player.

If you include ALL the dailies they do take that long…longer on some days than others. Sometimes it’s a dungeon run, or a fractal too. Some of the dailies in the past have involved defeating Scarlet. And then there are 3 WvW dailies. Have you ever tried to get the repair daily on a day when everyone else is trying to get it.

Sure if you only do 5 dailies a day it’s easy and takes no time at all. But if you’re doing all the dailies, which is what the OP is talking about, it can take 2-3 hours (on some days).

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Maybe they’re getting burnt out on trying to be a completionist in a game with thousands and thousands of hours of pve content alone, and likely as much to fill out your WvW and PvP achievements too.

If they can’t keep up with the hardcore super elite leaderboards crew… then they can’t. Your complaint is akin to competing in a national sports team, then saying you don’t think other teams should be able to train 40 hours a week because your team only wants to train for 10.

If they want to be competitive, they need to put up or shut up.

Ya…this.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Icecreaman.5072

Icecreaman.5072

I wouldn’t mind seeing a cap put on the total amount of APs one can get from dailies. Either a monthly or yearly cap would be fine with me. I feel like there’s far too much emphasis on daily APs and that they trivialize a lot of other APs in the game. It makes a player’s total AP even more meaningless.

4 days of doing all of the daily APs > 250k kills in WvW. Good job Anet.