Dailies no longer geared towards casuals?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Is this a ligit thread? I mean one game of PvP can be all it takes some days, other days it’s like what? View a vista, gather, do some events, and a JP. How is that not casual friendly?

Not everyone is willing to play PvP. Not everyone have a character of every profession, or enough to cover the requested “win with X”.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Again … it’s clear you haven’t been in one of these daily farming rooms. You don’t get ganked and you don’t need to like PVP to get your daily achievement in one of these rooms, casual or not.

Gonna have to disagree with you, while thankfully not often, sometimes PvP trolls do go to Daily rooms just to gank and make a total nuance of themselves.

The discussion is if dailies are more casual friendly since patch, which they are. There are more options to do on your own timeline = more casual friendly.

I dunno, looking at the list, I think the old dailies were in fact faster and easier. I mean the new ones are not hard by any standard, but you gotta admit, the older ones were easier.

Waaay easier in comparison, yes. We could get Dailies done just by dodging attacks x amount of times, and so forth. But then, the rewards weren’t nearly as good, and now, with Dailies having more angles to them, we get better rewards and there is the Daily chest to boot. I just have issues with some days’ Dailies being incredibly inconvenient, but also miss there being no world bosses anymore (someone pointed that out recently and I never realized ).

Again, I already qualified that the only way dailies could get easier is if they became trivial, which is what dodging X times is. As much as trivial activities appeal because they are easy, it’s not a good image for the game to uphold; not sure if you realize this but games aren’t intended to be trivial in nature. If that’s your gig, MMO’s aren’t for you or at least the non-trivial parts. The current dailies maintain casual friendly activities without insulting it’s player base.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Behellagh.1468

….
I know, you were mentioning WvW achievements, but the NPC part reminded me of the struggle I had doing maps.

Absolutely. But most dailies do not force players to cross the entire map to complete, as the old map completion required (on all borderlands). That was a tough time for casual players who required map completion back then. Especially if you needed the green keep vista in EB, and were not one of the top servers. Now to make it more casual, they took out that requirement altogether.

With dailies however, they tend to be based around your starting area… typical dailies are … kill a sentry, or kill a yak, or kill 5 guards, or capture 2 camps. All of these are based around the corner of your starting area, and while you may run into another enemy player, most days I have done it – I see a friendly who is also doing their daily. Of course, this is off putting for those who won’t even enter the zone. I understand that, just wanted to note that it is not nearly as time consuming or challenging as map completion was for the average casual.

I think Anet could then compromise and give 50/50 split between pve and pvp. Whether or not players chose to do them is there own prerogative.

I was originally very hesitant about WvW dailies but it turns out that many are quite easy to solo or tagging along with one other. Only reason it took a while for me last night was I kept getting to a enemy supply camp seconds after my server killed the dolyaks I needed (easiest to kill them in or as they leave a supply camp). Most times it’s like five minutes to do the easiest two. Everyone done gives you 10 badges which if you save them gives you what you need when the daily is spend 25 badges worth of stuff which you get 10 back for doing.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Play how you want was how they described the leveling experience where you’re not required to run dungeons or kill mobs over and over for XP, but can mix and match your chosen activities to do what you want to level to 80. It’s not about having 12 choices and not liking all of them.

The ANet “play how you want” philosophy is not just about leveling.

“To make playing in our open world worthwhile, we’ll make it rewarding enough for players to spend their time there across all levels. It’s extremely important that we stay true to our philosophy that you should be able to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to play the game in order to reach the most powerful rewards.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

Interestingly enough, the blog then goes on to say:

“One of our focuses is expanding and leveraging our achievement system. The concept behind this is to allow players to earn new rewards for achievements, as well as progressing down achievement paths that take advantage of the open world experience. We’ll add tokens for your achievements that you can turn in to select from a list of rewards, including new reward types like Ascended gear and Infusions. We’ll add support so daily achievements will be different each day of the week, which will help drive players to different areas of the world and play together. Later, we’ll also be adding a system that lets you complete a subgroup of achievements to fulfill your daily. For example, if there are 6 daily achievements available, you’ll only need to do 4 of the 6, so you can choose the achievements that you’re most interested in.”

So, ANet does apply its " play how you want" philosophy to dailies. Players can (now) choose 3 of 12 to do.

@ the topic

Most of the complaints about “play how you want” and dailies come from PvE-only players, and are mostly based on 3 issues:

1. The old dailies gave 8 PvE choices with 5 needed. The new ones give 4 choices with 3 needed. This results in a greater likelihood that there will be enough unpalatable choices to make doing the daily while staying in PvE maps distasteful.
  2. The older dailies were less specific. While “gather 10” is easier than the old “gather 20,” those 20 could be gathered anywhere and were not restricted by type of node. This afforded players more choice of where to play.
  3. Anet seems to lump -only players solely by game mode, whereas players tend to think of themselves more as open PvE, exploring PvE, dungeon/fractal PvE, etc., players.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

wvw can be casual, pvp can be casual it and they take no effort, you simply do what you enjoy doing. Walking up to a wvw vendor and buying a thingy take no effort, walking up to a vista takes no effort. etc etc

WvW and PvP might be EASY – if there are no opposing players when you walk in and you can accomplish your goal without conflict, that would be easy. But for those who don’t enjoy PvP conflict, even the potential for that to occur makes those activities UNfun. And since a majority of the Daily list are WvW and PvP, that means for those players who simply dislike PvP conflict and want to avoid it, the Dailies are heavily weighted against them. Of the remaining PvE options, if one is a World Boss and you don’t have that kind of time, that further restricts your choices.

Therefore Dailies are weighted against casual players.

If you are being serious you are hands down my favorite person right now.
I can’t even believe you might be serious – but here’s hoping.

That aside – without the possibility of conflict there is no possibility for reward.
See how simple that was?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Harper.4173

you’re not always going to do things you find appealing and fun.

Then why bother doing them at all?
I don’t know about the rest of you but I play games to have fun. If it’s not fun, there is no reason to play.
Playing a game that is not fun does not sound like any fun to me at all! ;-)

I’ll clue you in.
Some activities in the game are not fun.
Rewards however are fun. If I want fun rewards sometimes I need to do stuff that is not fun.
It’s as simple as that.

Let’s give you a practical example:

Do I love bringing rare items to pact provisioners each day to get my tokens? No. I hate pact provisioners. And the absurdly bothersome time gate.
Do I want legendary armor? absolutely yes – I consider that to be where the “fun” is at in this game.
So what does that mean? It means that if I want to have my fun I have to do the daily chore of bringing those guys their rares so they give me the time gated tokens I need for my armor.

Does that clear things up?

Harper.4173

Everyone has their price tag in MMOs as to what amount of entertainment they’re willing to give up for the profit that comes with doing something they don’t want to do (like grind/farm/etc).

You do realize that unless you’re a gold seller there is no actual profit, right? It is ALL supposed to be entertainment.

Yes – but you do realize some things turn a profit because of “investments of time” so to speak.

A little time a day spent doing something you do not enjoy might end up paying back tenth fold when it helps you get something you want or value a lot.

Let’s look at an example:

Back when GW2 first came out servers weren’t locked – so you could switch servers whenever you wanted.
A lot of people used this to get their WvW map completion ( which was required for legendaries back then) really easily – because they just switched to each server and get the stuff they had capped – then switch to another and get the other stuff and so on till you had 100% WvW map completion.

People that did not take the time to do this when the server switches were free were stuck waiting weeks for certain high-end objectives to be capped by their server.

Harper.4173

Everyone has their price tag in MMOs as to what amount of entertainment they’re willing to give up for the profit that comes with doing something they don’t want to do (like grind/farm/etc).

You do realize that unless you’re a gold seller there is no actual profit, right? It is ALL supposed to be entertainment.

ROFL you seem to be taking the word ‘profit’ to mean RL money. Profit in this case means what you gain in exchange for doing what you don’t enjoy. This can mean gold and ap like in the case of dailies… but it can mean other stuff, too. You give up one thing to gain another.

~EW

What other kind of profit would I do something I don’t enjoy for? Are you telling me you do things you don’t enjoy for some kind of imaginary profit? Why on earth would anyone waste the little precious time they have in this life doing something they don’t enjoy for something imaginary?

Well – they do it so they get the item they want. That imaginary source of happiness and joy.

Enjoyment in a game can come from the actual gameplay experience OR other associated things.

For MMOs it goes like this – I might not enjoy X content but that content might be the best and fastest way to get me the thing I need to enjoy the game more overall – or help me get an advantage in the type of content I enjoy.

Harper.4173

I never said you had to be a PvP expert to do dailies. I said that some people don’t LIKE PvP.

And PvP dailies are not PvP – they are a farm. Nobody fights – and even if trolls appear people usually zerg them down.

Harper.4173

It’s evenly balanced – in fact weighted heavier to PvE

13 accessible dailys.

Gametype 1 WvW – 4 daily options

Gametype 2 – sPvP – 4 options

Gametype 3 – PvE – 5 options

And yes, whether you like it or not, sPvP and WvW are two different game modes. One is balance based, one is hybrid PvE open world PvP fighting. For the record, the WvW achievements are more geared towards fighting npc’s than actual players.

Whenever I went into WvW maps to try to get 100% map completion for them (Vistas and so forth), I was always getting hunted down by other players and killed. So that made getting those done a huge grind. Player characters are leaps and bounds away from NPC enemies, in terms of how much damage and skill they can dish out. I know, you were mentioning WvW achievements, but the NPC part reminded me of the struggle I had doing maps.

See my post above – you are the perfect example of what I mentioned.
If you had been here on release ( not saying you should have been) and spent the time then to do WvW map completion with the open server re-rolls – you would have been spared a lot of difficulty and grief for a small time investment.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Actually it’s because they are trying to FORCE me to do game types I do not want to do. Remember, “play the way you want to play”.

Actually, you keep forgetting: part of ANet’s goal is to encourage people to try other things. So you can still play the way you want to play — earn 2g via or earn it by chasing world bosses or whatever you like.

tl;dr don’t like enough of the options? don’t do the dailies.

Let’s try not to confuse the concept that “dailies might not be geared towards my preferred style of play” with “dailies are no longer geared towards casual play.”

I don’t do the dailies if I don’t like them, but you seem to gloss over the other posters who like to keep saying “go do PvP or WvW”. All I would like to see is more then 3 PvE options so if 1 of them is bugged or on a map that is time gated or god forbid a jumping puzzle, I could skip 1 and still complete the rest.

If all you wanted was more options, why not simply say, “hey can we get a few more options? I think more people would enjoy the game.” That skips all the issues with what it means to be ‘casual’, whether existing options are ‘casual-friendly’, and whether the mix across the game modes is ‘casual friendly’.

PS I am not “glossing over” those who refuse to do PvP or WvW — it’s everyone’s choice to do dailies or not; I choose not to make life harder on myself by categorically refusing to try other modes at least once, if only for the dailies.

This is the way they used to do it. They gave us options but have now taken them away.

You forget, you also got no gold, no bonus rewards, and we had to do more of them. There was less value for the time we spent and we had fewer options to skip relative to how many we needed to complete.

Honestly, I log on, do dailies (that can be done) harvest my home and guild nodes, maybe do kitten if it’s close to his time, then log off.

Then what you are saying is that you don’t enjoy the current iteration of the game. That’s a shame, but it’s understandable — not every game is going to appeal to everyone for years and years.

I’m done with HoT, you can only do the same events so many times before they become boring. The world bosses are, on the whole, pretty boring as well. There are a few I will jump on if the timing is right but most, well been there done that over and over again.

Again, sounds like time to take a break.

Dailies give something to do, but if you can’t do them without doing something that you do not consider fun, why bother? I can’t even earn experience to level up as it’s wasted since HoT!

Maybe it’s just my play style, but I need SOME kind of goal to work towards, something to show progress besides earning more worthless gold. Atleast finishing dailies showed some kind of progress, as for the 2 gold, I would gladly PAY 2 gold a day for more choices and something to show some kind of progression.

Sure, I’d love to see ANet go back to the way things were in 2014, with frequent updates adding new stuff to do. A lot of people didn’t like it, though, and it created a really crazy work load at ANet, so I don’t expect to see that again.

In any case, I think your own comments should encourage you to take a break. And to be clear: I mean set GW2 aside for other games (or RL) for a while. Then, in 3-6 months, come back and see if you’re still enjoying it.

I did that when I felt I was burning out on GW1 and I am very happy that I did. The game was a lot more fun after my break, because I found more things to do (they were there before; the ‘gap half-year’ allowed me the perspective to find them).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I don’t know about the rest of you but I play games to have fun. If it’s not fun, there is no reason to play.

I’ll clue you in.
Rewards however are fun. If I want fun rewards sometimes I need to do stuff that is not fun.
It’s as simple as that.

Do I love bringing rare items to pact provisioners each day to get my tokens? No. I hate pact provisioners. And the absurdly bothersome time gate.
Do I want legendary armor? absolutely yes – I consider that to be where the “fun” is at in this game.
So what does that mean? It means that if I want to have my fun I have to do the daily chore of bringing those guys their rares so they give me the time gated tokens I need for my armor.

Not in the least. I don’t view “things” as fun at all. No interest at all in legendary weapons or armor. Doing things you do not want to do just to get a few flashy trinkets sounds way to much like real life, thank you very much!
I do not need gold, I have all the armor and weapon skins I want or will use. (I have been using the exact same armor skins on my 3 mains since day 1 because I like them).
I have maxed out inventory and banks, stocked full of every kind of material available and loads of armor chests that I have not even bothered to open as I have no need for them. I have no need for any additional items.
You have a goal, you want the pretty armor skin. That is what I want, goals to work for but other then more worthless skins or trinkets. Progression, levels (even if it does never pass 80), a simple set of doable dailies to finish without having to do something I do not like to do. You can talk till your blue in the face, but there is nothing you or anyone else can say that can convince me to use my gaming time to play something that is not fun, I will simply go play something else that IS fun.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Daily was already got split up into login reward and current daily.

Before the change, it servse as daily AP gain and laurel gain, also encourage login regularly and actually play the game. Upon the split, laurel no longer tie to finishing daily, just by login and you will get plenty. Therefore the daily can actually turn into something that encourage player to go deeper into the game contents.

Before the 2g reward update, many players just login and be done, i have been doing this for months and the 2g reward sure successfully pulled me back into the game.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Again … it’s clear you haven’t been in one of these daily farming rooms. You don’t get ganked and you don’t need to like PVP to get your daily achievement in one of these rooms, casual or not.

Gonna have to disagree with you, while thankfully not often, sometimes PvP trolls do go to Daily rooms just to gank and make a total nuance of themselves.

The discussion is if dailies are more casual friendly since patch, which they are. There are more options to do on your own timeline = more casual friendly.

I dunno, looking at the list, I think the old dailies were in fact faster and easier. I mean the new ones are not hard by any standard, but you gotta admit, the older ones were easier.

Waaay easier in comparison, yes. We could get Dailies done just by dodging attacks x amount of times, and so forth. But then, the rewards weren’t nearly as good, and now, with Dailies having more angles to them, we get better rewards and there is the Daily chest to boot. I just have issues with some days’ Dailies being incredibly inconvenient, but also miss there being no world bosses anymore (someone pointed that out recently and I never realized ).

I miss the world bosses as well. They really should bring that back.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’ll clue you in.
It’s as simple as that.

Not in the least. I don’t view “things” as fun at all. No interest at all in legendary weapons or armor. Doing things you do not want to do just to get a few flashy trinkets sounds way to much like real life, thank you very much!
I do not need gold, I have all the armor and weapon skins I want or will use. (I have been using the exact same armor skins on my 3 mains since day 1 because I like them).
I have maxed out inventory and banks, stocked full of every kind of material available and loads of armor chests that I have not even bothered to open as I have no need for them. I have no need for any additional items.
You have a goal, you want the pretty armor skin. That is what I want, goals to work for but other then more worthless skins or trinkets. Progression, levels (even if it does never pass 80), a simple set of doable dailies to finish without having to do something I do not like to do. You can talk till your blue in the face, but there is nothing you or anyone else can say that can convince me to use my gaming time to play something that is not fun, I will simply go play something else that IS fun.

So…. why are you still here, arguing, instead of playing something fun?

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I’ll clue you in.
It’s as simple as that.

Same reason your here making worthless comments?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’ll clue you in.
It’s as simple as that.

Same reason your here making worthless comments?

Your voices told you to comment too?

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Actually it’s because they are trying to FORCE me to do game types I do not want to do. Remember, “play the way you want to play”.

Actually, you keep forgetting: part of ANet’s goal is to encourage people to try other things. So you can still play the way you want to play — earn 2g via or earn it by chasing world bosses or whatever you like.

tl;dr don’t like enough of the options? don’t do the dailies.

Let’s try not to confuse the concept that “dailies might not be geared towards my preferred style of play” with “dailies are no longer geared towards casual play.”

I don’t do the dailies if I don’t like them, but you seem to gloss over the other posters who like to keep saying “go do PvP or WvW”. All I would like to see is more then 3 PvE options so if 1 of them is bugged or on a map that is time gated or god forbid a jumping puzzle, I could skip 1 and still complete the rest.

If all you wanted was more options, why not simply say, “hey can we get a few more options? I think more people would enjoy the game.” That skips all the issues with what it means to be ‘casual’, whether existing options are ‘casual-friendly’, and whether the mix across the game modes is ‘casual friendly’.

PS I am not “glossing over” those who refuse to do PvP or WvW — it’s everyone’s choice to do dailies or not; I choose not to make life harder on myself by categorically refusing to try other modes at least once, if only for the dailies.

This is the way they used to do it. They gave us options but have now taken them away.

You forget, you also got no gold, no bonus rewards, and we had to do more of them. There was less value for the time we spent and we had fewer options to skip relative to how many we needed to complete.

Honestly, I log on, do dailies (that can be done) harvest my home and guild nodes, maybe do kitten if it’s close to his time, then log off.

Then what you are saying is that you don’t enjoy the current iteration of the game. That’s a shame, but it’s understandable — not every game is going to appeal to everyone for years and years.

I’m done with HoT, you can only do the same events so many times before they become boring. The world bosses are, on the whole, pretty boring as well. There are a few I will jump on if the timing is right but most, well been there done that over and over again.

Dailies give something to do, but if you can’t do them without doing something that you do not consider fun, why bother? I can’t even earn experience to level up as it’s wasted since HoT!

Maybe it’s just my play style, but I need SOME kind of goal to work towards, something to show progress besides earning more worthless gold. Atleast finishing dailies showed some kind of progress, as for the 2 gold, I would gladly PAY 2 gold a day for more choices and something to show some kind of progression.

Sure, I’d love to see ANet go back to the way things were in 2014, with frequent updates adding new stuff to do. A lot of people didn’t like it, though, and it created a really crazy work load at ANet, so I don’t expect to see that again.

In any case, I think your own comments should encourage you to take a break. And to be clear: I mean set GW2 aside for other games (or RL) for a while. Then, in 3-6 months, come back and see if you’re still enjoying it.

I did that when I felt I was burning out on GW1 and I am very happy that I did. The game was a lot more fun after my break, because I found more things to do (they were there before; the ‘gap half-year’ allowed me the perspective to find them).

I already took a break for well over a year and only came back because of HoT. At this point if I take another break I probably will not bother coming back. I am still having some fun, and as the last surviving member of a 13 year old guild, I hate to let the torch die out completely. Dailies have been “OK” for a while, but adding dragon stand to the mix was kind of the straw that broke the camel’s back, it just kittened me off to no end. It just seems with each change that is made, it gets worse and worse and the changes seem to be made for no good reason.
I stopped posting here a long time ago and just recently started again, but this thread reminded me why I stopped reading the forums. I think I am going to take a break from here for sure, to toxic. ( not you, BTW, your post was well thought out and made very good points.)

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

The entire basis of this thread was the OP’s admission that there are more choices but that they didn’t feel like there were more choices. With that start, how could this thread possibly reach a satisfactory conclusion for the OP or anyone else?

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

I’m one of those people who hates PvP with a passion. The thought of PvP badges of honor being used to purchase a legendary material still is a bit of an annoyance. I also have seen one day where two of the PvE dailies were in level 60+ areas.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Don’t you find it strange that HoT owners are given harder PVE dailies than non-HoT owners?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Don’t you find it strange that HoT owners are given harder PVE dailies than non-HoT owners?

What? How? The challenges are easy to get bronze on. The rest are the same as every other map.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Harper.4173

I’ll clue you in.
It’s as simple as that.

Alright then – but MMOs might not be for you then.
They’re not designed to remain “fun” and “fresh” for a long time – they substitute this lack of gameplay or game experience fun and freshness with long-term vanity goals or progression goals.

If you play games solely for the gameplay and experience I would argue there are better things out there.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I find this strange.
What harder PvE dailies have I not been noticing?

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

BrotherBelial.3094

Is this a ligit thread? I mean one game of PvP can be all it takes some days, other days it’s like what? View a vista, gather, do some events, and a JP. How is that not casual friendly?

Not everyone is willing to play PvP. Not everyone have a character of every profession, or enough to cover the requested “win with X”.

well you can always get 2 of the PvP dailies in one match. then all you have to do is gather or grab a vista. As I said in another post, get a friend find a empty PvP server, go in and play 1vs1 cap all 3 points and ask your friend if you can kill them a hand full of times and boom, game done and so are your dailies.

Dailies are only as hard as you make them.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

well you can always get 2 of the PvP dailies in one match. then all you have to do is gather or grab a vista. As I said in another post, get a friend find a empty PvP server, go in and play 1vs1 cap all 3 points and ask your friend if you can kill them a hand full of times and boom, game done and so are your dailies.

Dailies are only as hard as you make them.

Like this reply suggested

Or go to wvw, cap a ruin, claim a land, kill mist guard, veteran creature slayer or cap 2 camps can all be soloed. Just avoid player, play smart. Gather badge of honor and you can do easy big spender. All of above can be made as much pve as you like.

Posted by: Demon Taoist.4027

Demon Taoist.4027

I just started PvPing recently, and find it pretty ridiculous that you can get all 3 dailies in 1 match, whereas racing around to catch events alone can take an hour.

The PvP dailies require no attention or deviation from normal play. Equivalent PvE dailies would be “kill 30 mobs”, “harvest 5 anything in any zone”, “participate in 1 event in any zone”.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Now that the conversation has turned more civil, I have decided to leave this open – you guys are having some interesting discussions that bring up valid points. As long as this stays civil, I will keep this thread open.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I just started PvPing recently, and find it pretty ridiculous that you can get all 3 dailies in 1 match, whereas racing around to catch events alone can take an hour.

The PvP dailies require no attention or deviation from normal play. Equivalent PvE dailies would be “kill 30 mobs”, “harvest 5 anything in any zone”, “participate in 1 event in any zone”.

PvP is a relatively small and narrow game mode compared to PvE. There are not that many variations of achievements that they can do for the dailies that would not be able to be completed in one or two matches.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

wvw can be casual, pvp can be casual it and they take no effort, you simply do what you enjoy doing. Walking up to a wvw vendor and buying a thingy take no effort, walking up to a vista takes no effort. etc etc

WvW and PvP might be EASY – if there are no opposing players when you walk in and you can accomplish your goal without conflict, that would be easy. But for those who don’t enjoy PvP conflict, even the potential for that to occur makes those activities UNfun. And since a majority of the Daily list are WvW and PvP, that means for those players who simply dislike PvP conflict and want to avoid it, the Dailies are heavily weighted against them. Of the remaining PvE options, if one is a World Boss and you don’t have that kind of time, that further restricts your choices.

Therefore Dailies are weighted against casual players.

If you are being serious you are hands down my favorite person right now.
I can’t even believe you might be serious – but here’s hoping.

That aside – without the possibility of conflict there is no possibility for reward.
See how simple that was?

I am being serious, but I don’t understand what: “without the possibility of conflict there is no possibility for reward” has to do with this topic. Clearly there is possibility for reward without conflict in a lot of GW2. And since we’re speaking of PvP conflict, obviously most of GW2 doesn’t have that. Just in the dailies.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Djinn.9245

not sure if you realize this but games aren’t intended to be trivial in nature.

? O.o

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Moyayuki.3619

? O.o

Yeah, not sure if any of us here suggested that the game and its challenges be rendered “trivial”…

Djinn.9245

If I want fun rewards sometimes I need to do stuff that is not fun.

If someone was offering money to people to eat cow poo IRL, each person would have to do a cost/benefit analysis of how much money it would take for them to eat cow poo. Some would say that they wouldn’t do it even if offered a million dollars. Others would do it simply on a dare with no money required. Obviously there is a scale of discomfort to reward.

I would like a legendary weapon, but I am not going to do the huge amount of WORK to craft one. So I simply won’t get one. It’s not that big a deal – most people don’t get the ultimate best thing they want in games. How many people farm content thousands of times in other MMOs trying to get a rare drop that they never get? People in this game farm the Mystic Toilet and spend hundreds or thousands of gold trying for a drop that they never get.

I’m just skipping to the “never get” part without doing all that work / discomfort lol.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

The point of the daily system is to get people to try things that they might not otherwise do.

It’s a incentive to get players past their natural inertia.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Djinn.9245

The point of the daily system is to get people to try things that they might not otherwise do.

I’m an adult – I know what I like or don’t like. I don’t need Mommy to tell me to eat my vegetables in a game.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Cannot cater to personal opinions, as players whether young or old are trivial and unique. Must cater to masses. One does not speak for masses (on either side of this coin) However, I still believe the split should be 50/50 and as it stands, it’s 8:5 versus 8:8

If you still do not like the choices, you can always make the choice to starve (get no daily).

Behellagh.1468

For me I hate PvP. In all games. The toxic environment of PvP has put me off it entirely. Don’t know what it’s like here but those three letters to me is an automatic disqualification of a game mode. And that was before my recent health ailments reduced my keyboarding skills. It’s simply not a mode I’m willing to play.

I don’t mind WvW because it’s not an ultra competitive team activity and there is a PvE aspect defeating NPC guards. That I can do.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

I’m seeing (at least) two different perspectives here.

On one side, there are people who want to get their laurels and 2g as quickly and easily as possible. They look at the list of 12 options, pick the 3 that are quickest and easiest, and do them in minutes. From this perspective, the OP makes no sense, as it is already pretty quick and easy to get your 3 items out of 12.

On another side are people who want to play the content they want and earn rewards doing the content they want. They don’t want to do PvP or WvW and not doing that is more important than the daily rewards. They maybe don’t want to do jumping puzzles or Dragon’s Stand or fractals either, so they will not get the daily rewards that way either. From this perspective, they want a greater variety of rewards so that they can play the content they want and still get the daily rewards.

I see two possible, reasonable reactions to this:

One is that the dailies should encourage people to leave their comfort zone a little and try other content than the one they play. (In theory, this holds, but I’m not sure how successful the status quo is at doing this.) It is reasonable to ask people to at least try the other game modes and see how easy it can be to get the dailies.

Another is a request to increase the number of dailies. There can always be one JP, one dungeon, one event zone in Central Tyria, one event zone in HoT, one world boss, one gathering, etc. This actually sounds pretty reasonable to me — not strictly necessary, no, but I think it would increase the enjoyment of the game for a number of people.

I actually thought of yet another reaction: It is possible that the dailies concentrate players to bring new life to dead maps for a day, and it is possible that too many dailies might dilute this effect. However, I’m not sure how true this is.

Obtena.7952

? O.o

Yeah, not sure if any of us here suggested that the game and its challenges be rendered “trivial”…

Seems pretty clear to me the second suggested that dodging, along with some other ‘activities’ used to be part of the ‘nice, casual friendly’ set of daily accomplishments. This my not be obvious to you but dodging, reviving, killing white creatures and the list of other things that were removed during that phase of daily revamping are completely trivial activities.

Moyayuki.3619

? O.o

Seems pretty clear to me the second suggested that dodging, along with some other ‘activities’ used to be part of the ‘nice, casual friendly’ set of daily accomplishments. This my not be obvious to you but dodging, reviving, killing white creatures and the list of other things that were removed during that phase of daily revamping are completely trivial activities.

I never said that…nor was I asking for those super-easy Dailies to be reinstated.

Obtena.7952

Then i just fail to see any point you have tried to make in this thread because you don’t have time for most of the current activities, but anything less would trivial to the point of the activities that were removed in the past so … I can only conclude you can be appeased with any set of activities that would be non-trivial yet fast to do.

BTW, you aren’t the only person I was responding to.

Moyayuki.3619

Then i just fail to see any point you have tried to make in this thread because you don’t have time for most of the current activities, but anything less would trivial to the point of the activities that were removed in the past so … I can only conclude you can be appeased with any set of activities that would be non-trivial yet fast to do.

BTW, you aren’t the only person I was responding to.

I’m looking back at the original comment you made on this, and I will reiterate once again that I in no way was ever asking for ANet to reinstate the no-effort Dailies that existed before the updates. It looks like what me and other people would be interested in would be more options, which does not mean things should be dumbed down.

Also in response to the original comment, I DO love MMORPGs, and GW2 is one of the few that I’ve been able to enjoy and relax to while playing. So I don’t understand where in the world you came to the conclusion that MMOs are not for me… Everyone has their own play styles and preferences, and that’s why many MMOs are good choices. No one has the right to tell someone that a game is not for them. You do your thing, I do my thing, and it doesn’t hurt anyone. Why do you even care about what I think?

Posted by: otto.5684

otto.5684

I will talk from pure PvE perspective, I do agree with the OP. I have no idea where the puzzles are located and most certainly do not want to search for them (though I probably did them all once before). I seriously have no interest of doing any adventures, so why are they are forced through dailies. The old system was so much better, one vista, one mats farm and one event. Easy and anyone can do.

Having said that, for me personally it does not matter much.. I usually do one PvP game which gets you either all three or two out of three, but a good portion (if not majority) of the players do not PvP. In addition, most definitely I do not want to see players who never PvP in the PvP que to get the daily, just because PvE dailies are becoming a pain.

Obtena.7952

So you make threads about something you’re but now I’m intrigued in the discussion, I’m not supposed to care what you think? You’re right, I’m finding it hard to care what you think, because I don’t see how anyone has come to the conclusion that dailies have become less casual friendly with all the casual friendly options dailies have to offer, UNLESS they are including those absolutely trivial activities I listed.

What I DO see is that people are associating their unwillingness to do daily activities outside their comfort level with being less casual friendly … that’s a leap in logic that garners the most objection. That’s not dailies being less casual, that’s players restricting themselves to the point where they can’t do content and pointing the finger away from themselves as the culprit, claiming that it’s somehow the game that prevents them. Doesn’t fly well with reason.

BrotherBelial.3094

I will talk from pure PvE perspective, I do agree with the OP. I have no idea where the puzzles are located and most certainly do not want to search for them (though I probably did them all once before). I seriously have no interest of doing any adventures, so why are they are forced through dailies. The old system was so much better, one vista, one mats farm and one event. Easy and anyone can do.

Having said that, for me personally it does not matter much.. I usually do one PvP game which gets you either all three or two out of three, but a good portion (if not majority) of the players do not PvP. In addition, most definitely I do not want to see players who never PvP in the PvP que to get the daily, just because PvE dailies are becoming a pain.

If you don’t know where something is, there is always the /wiki command. It opens the wiki, then type in the name of the activity. Takes you to the page about said activity. All the information you need is there. If it’s not enough, there is always google. Ignorance is not an excuse any more.

Moyayuki.3619

So you make threads about something you’re but now I’m intrigued in the discussion, I’m not supposed to care what you think? You’re right, I’m finding it hard to care what you think, because I don’t see how anyone has come to the conclusion that dailies have become less casual friendly with all the casual friendly options dailies have to offer, UNLESS they are including those absolutely trivial activities I listed.

What I DO see is that people are associating their unwillingness to do daily activities outside their comfort level with being less casual friendly … that’s a leap in logic that garners the most objection. That’s not dailies being less casual, that’s players restricting themselves to the point where they can’t do content and pointing the finger away from themselves as the culprit, claiming that it’s somehow the game that prevents them. Doesn’t fly well with reason.

Come on, there’s no reason to be rude, essentially insinuating that I don’t have “reason”. You’ve even spoken against me in completely unrelated threads, such as one in the HoT forum. I don’t understand what I did to trigger you. You and I obviously have different game style preferences, and therefore different opinions, but I think you are making assumptions about me that simply are not true. Just because I may not like PvP and WvW and therefore can’t complete some days’ Dailies, does not mean I don’t enjoy the game, and I KNOW that I have specific preferences, so PLEASE do not assume that I am deflecting “blame”. Sheesh!

Also, it would be very helpful/polite if you could make your responses to people’s posts by Quoting them, so it is more clear who you are talking to.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Now that the conversation has turned more civil, I have decided to leave this open – you guys are having some interesting discussions that bring up valid points. As long as this stays civil, I will keep this thread open.

It’s nice that you’ve decided that, but just so you’re aware for the future you could not close the thread even if you wanted to.

It might still be possible to delete your original post, but the entire rest of the topic (including any posts that quoted yours) would remain. You could also post a request for a moderator to close it but that would be entirely at their discretion, as far as I’m aware they don’t usually close active threads simply because the original poster asks for it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Whenever I’m in WvW and see Keep capturer… I feel your pain. Generally means I have to do a PvE daily, which is against my playstyle.

I also like legendaries, think they are pretty aesthetically pleasing … was kittened when I found out I had to run (shudders) dungeons. Instead of coming to the forum and letting anet know what they are doing wrong (imho of course) … guess what I do.

Has one job … Does it.

But I mean, I totally see where you are coming from. World completion used to require WvW points of interest. Guess what the PvE community did? Got them removed, so there is hope for you yet.

Keep this thread on anets radar and maybe just maybe … they will give you more pve options (that you also may not like, and we will hear back on that sequel)

~X

Moyayuki.3619

It’s nice that you’ve decided that, but just so you’re aware for the future you could not close the thread even if you wanted to.

It might still be possible to delete your original post, but the entire rest of the topic (including any posts that quoted yours) would remain. You could also post a request for a moderator to close it but that would be entirely at their discretion, as far as I’m aware they don’t usually close active threads simply because the original poster asks for it.

I’m just worried about toxicity reappearing, and I think that game forums need less of that, as it helps no one and only furthers this strange mindset on the internet that, just because your identity is hidden behind an avatar and/or username, you can treat other people any way you want.

Moyayuki.3619

Whenever I’m in WvW and see Keep capturer… I feel your pain. Generally means I have to do a PvE daily, which is against my playstyle.

I also like legendaries, think they are pretty aesthetically pleasing … was kittened when I found out I had to run (shudders) dungeons. Instead of coming to the forum and letting anet know what they are doing wrong (imho of course) … guess what I do.

Has one job … Does it.

But I mean, I totally see where you are coming from. World completion used to require WvW points of interest. Guess what the PvE community did? Got them removed, so there hope for you yet.

Keep this thread on anets radar and maybe just maybe … they will give you more pve options (that you also may not like, and we will hear back on that sequel)

~X

Back when WvW was required for world completion, I did my best to get them done. I think I may have gotten them done right before the requirement was taken out. Needless to say, it wasn’t easy, but it was my choice. It worked out great when other players weren’t trying to kill me. Wish I could have worn a tag that indicated I was only trying to complete the map and wasn’t in there to fight. :P