Daily: Dodger

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TigerDragon.4037

TigerDragon.4037

Anet can make a sub-daily: “Run in a circle around a tree”
And players will open threads “which tree is best suited for this?”

The tree house west of the exit from Divinity’s Reach is best, of course.

Sinking ships in WvW on SBI with pride.
Plastered Tyrian Sea Devils [PTSD]
Agadar.4931: A bad mesmer still poops clones like no tomorrow.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

The point is not that it’s hard, but it take conscious effort from some people due to their playing style. They are not playing incorrectly, they may dodge early or they may prefer to kite (me). Evades do happen, but if something gets that close to me, then I have done something wrong. Yes, dodge is fun and a great combat mechanic. I don’t dodge because I don’t know how, it’s just not my preferred playstyle. I think this will be less of an issue when we can choose which ones to complete, but for right now having to do it is not natural for me. On my thief it comes automatically, on my engi with elixir gun, not so much.

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

I’m shocked at how many people can’t dodge. It’s so ingrained in me now that I don’t even have to worry about this achievement. I usually get it just by running past mobs. Then again, I’ve always been the type to dodge at the last moment in order to maximize damage and minimize the chances of landing in an even bigger mess.

The issue is not how hard or easy it is to do. Having these daily achievements alters the way people play and not necessarily for the better. That was probably not ANet’s intention. In theory Dodger and Combo Killer were “freebies” you can randomly get these done in normal course of playing. In practice many people are going to be “doing their daily” to ensure that it gets done in a timely matter which will force a certain play style making things less enjoyable.

As opposed to receiving an extra bonus for doing nothing special other than leveling, where leveling should be the reward, and Forrest Gumping our way through dailies without even realizing we’d done them.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

Just found the EASIEST way to get this in about 90 seconds: Go find an Ember, and dodge through the lava fonts it drops. Some of them will proc Evade several times per dodge. Easy-peasy.

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Just found the EASIEST way to get this in about 90 seconds: Go find an Ember, and dodge through the lava fonts it drops. Some of them will proc Evade several times per dodge. Easy-peasy.

Good call, will do on Guardian of Light.
2 Birds in one stone. (or 3)

1+1 = potato

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

Incorrect. There’s a very big difference between dodging and actually getting evasion to proc, which is required for the achievement.

Thank you, it was sounding like I was the only person who seemed to realize that dodge is perfectly functional without ever getting the Evade proc. And doing the daily I realized that I most frequently avoid attacks without ever getting the proc. I needed to go out of my way and alter my timing to insure I was getting it.

If you’re not dodging and getting evade to proc 10 times in 24 hours, there’s something very wrong with your playstyle.

@BlackestKnight. See above. It’s very possible to avoid damage while successfully dodge and not activate the proc very often at all.

Also exaggerations don’t support any point, the discussion is about attaining the achievement during a normal session and that’s not 24 hours of playing.

Thanks for that, I’ll likely give it a try.

Unfortunately, that’s no different than my finding a mob and deliberately not killing it to get the dodge achievement. It’s going out of one’s way and altering my normal play and that was something I had never done with the previous daillies. Maybe it won’t be a big deal but I never previously considered such things, and I don’t know if that’s a good or not.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

The arrow traps in the EB jumping puzzle dark room. All you have to do is dodge in a straight line back and forth as you please.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The issue is not how hard or easy it is to do. Having these daily achievements alters the way people play and not necessarily for the better.

Except that the old Dailies did the same thing. It takes a very long time to get 60 kills in WvW. Most NPCs you’ll be killing are veterans, and you should no be attacking wildlife. Getting player kills can be very difficult unless you catch someone overextending, and that’s not gonna happen 60 times in an hour. I have to drop out of WvW to get this achievement in a reasonable amount of time.

Then you have the “15 unique creature kills” which doesn’t work in WvW, either (unless, of course, you are attacking wildlife). Heck, a good chunk of the maps don’t have 15 unique creatures in it (Orr is a primary example, but you see this in other maps, too).

If you’re whole argument is “These new dailies get in the way of normal gameplay”, it falls flat because the old dailies weren’t any better.

Choosing NOT to fight things that would give you credit isn’t quite the same. Funny how you use WvW as an example. I have a friend who jumps into WvW just to be able to finish the old dailies faster.

“New dailies are just as bad as the old ones” isn’t a great excuse for the change.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

“New dailies are just as bad as the old ones” isn’t a great excuse for the change.

Actually I think you may have hit on the real issue that has been bothering me.

The new daillies really are about the same as the old ones but there is one very big difference. Now the rewards for them have been incredibly elevated. I never really minded the annoyance factor of the old daillies because a bit of extra money and karma wasn’t anything major. If the annoyance wasn’t something I wanted to deal with that day, I could ignore them and nothing much was missed.

The laurel rewards, on the other hand, are very impressive. And now suddenly I am paying a great deal attention to daillies and their irritation factor of how they induce players to do things they normally would not is now being magnified because of that attention.

The more I consider it, the more I think that perhaps some form of exchange for laurels using the other non-money currencies as suggested in the thread below may be an even better idea that I first thought.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-ways-to-acquire-laurels/first#post1334044

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I’m Australian and had no problem getting the daily done. I didn’t even have to try, it just happened naturally while I was gaming

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

Dodging is a really basic mechanic. If you dont use it your going to find playing the game alot harder than it needs to be. There alot of attacks that are designed to kick your kitten if you dont dodge them.

The giant in Diessa plateau is a good example. If you dont dodge he will kill you quickly. If you do you can solo him (though it takes FOREVER). Same with Risen Abominations. They are easy if you know how to avoid their attack but if they get some hits in and stack their frenzy they become very nasty.

I like the Dodger daily. It encourages those who dont use a neccesary game mechanic to become more used to using it. It makes people better players.

Edit: the whole point of laurals was to create an alternative method of aquiring rewards outside dungeons and fractals and to encourage people to go out into the game world again. Allowing people to swap other currency into laurals would be counter productive.

(edited by Lutinz.6915)

Posted by: Aldracity.9463

Aldracity.9463

Find any mob that creates a ground AoE, roll through the ground AoE. I’m pretty sure that can be done on choppy dialup halfway around the world.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Hubby found some hyenas and managed to get his dodge quota that way. He is a fairly new player so was proud he found his own way to get that achievement.

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

I don’t like this one so much because it feels the least natural. With all the other types, it’s something I was doing anyway (though sometimes I had to go out of my way to find more events or more enemy types).

Yeah that’s a good point. Been doing it on my D/D ele and getting it done within about an hour or two of the reset, without even trying. Imagine it would be more something you have to remember to do with some other classes.

Posted by: Cronknar The Slayer.5371

Cronknar The Slayer.5371

best way to get the daily dodge is to go to the temple of arah or anywhere that has catapults and dodge out of the target ring when it fires . after i figured this out , its easy
and i did it with a slow kitten tank

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Anet can make a sub-daily: “Run in a circle around a tree”
And players will open threads “which tree is best suited for this?”

That made me laugh. Out loud. More than once.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Tauril.8504

Tauril.8504

There’s a very big difference between dodging and actually getting evasion to proc, which is required for the achievement.

While this is true, many dungeons have AoEs that cover such a large area that using the “mobility aspect” of dodge to get outside of the red circle is a very ineffective way to avoid this type of attacks (especially if you melee). However, understanding that dodge has an “invulnerability aspect” to it and that this invulnerability lasts for quite a long time (longer than the animation may suggest at first) will make you accomplish miracles.
I believe many people use dodge for its mobility aspect but haven’t fully grasped the invulnerability component yet and will find themselves helpless in some situations they could easily beat with this superbly powerful tool.

So the dodger achievement seems pretty legitimate to me (although the way it works is probably determined by technical limitations rather than design decisions. But I’m sure Anet would incorporate a kiting achievement if there was a reasonnable way to track it)

(edited by Tauril.8504)

Posted by: Madderdin.3082

Madderdin.3082

I am shocked how many selfcentered drones think that if someone find this daily annoying he surely cant dodge and should L2P.

Press dodge in the correct moment – game does not think you dodged, you do not get damaged, because you were out of the way, but according to the game you did it too soon, no evade or whatever is that message.

As for the selfcentered drones insulting everybody who do not like this daily – you are the reason people leave games, your attitude is the most annoying and disgusting.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

I’m Australian and had no problem getting the daily done. I didn’t even have to try, it just happened naturally while I was gaming

I love it when the natural order of evolution…occurs naturally.

I’m from AUS as well and had no problem.

Get into large group fights and dodg away – based on probability you should get it much quicker.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

There is the Risen Plaguebringer (it uses necro-like biting skills lol), you can dodge it and complete very quick and it’s not big damage…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: AwwGee.5628

AwwGee.5628

Run into multihit aoes.

Posted by: Ace.1726

Ace.1726

I am from the Australasia region, this daily is easy. If you cannot dodge attacks that is your own fault.

You are complaining about nothing.

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

I always go to the Burrows of Moledavia in Diessa Plateau. There you have Dredge Resonators who shoot some slow incoming ground missiles, which are really easy to dodge. And instead of dodging sideways and getting 1 credit, you can dodge towards the mob (so ‘into’) the shot. This’ll give you 3 dodge credits.

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

I live in NZ so latency is an issue but not bad enough to affect dodging. I find pirates in bloodtide coast pretty good for this. Those rapid firing or dagger throwing ones give me lots of dodges per roll and are very very easy to time

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Trithne.7391

Trithne.7391

It’s not just the latency though – It’s the requirement to get the ‘evade’ message, even though you ‘dodged ’ the attack – a bit of latency and it throws your ability to know the exact second you’re supposed to press the button off, since the server might be a little ahead of you. And it is serverside. And many attacks do only trigger evade on a ‘perfect’ dodge, even if an imperfect dodge still means you avoid damage.

Fact remains the dodge daily is making players play in nonstandard ways – finding a ranged mob with an easily dodged attack and leaving it alive to farm dodges, finding an aoe and rolling back and forth in it, etc. That’s not desirable player behaviour.

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

here is a great tip for completing dodger task:

find yourself some earth elementals (Charr Starting zone). They cast that rocky line under your feed that ticks a cripple and stays there for like 4 seconds. wait till you got crippled – dodge – done.

use a ranged weapon pull 3 or 4 to dodge them all at once.

if you have problems with conection dodge along the line of effect – you definitly get the dodge

can be done in 2 minutes really

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I love how this game punishes people who try to get stuff and instead rewards people who mostly ignore the objectives.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

Nah mate, just find anything that is ranged and fires salvos. Then dodge away to your heart’s content. You will typically net 2- 3 dodges this way.

Ideal mobs would be Sons of Svanir with bows and inquest golems that shoots the energy bolts at you.

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

Im a “laggy” player but ive found that axe throwing icebrood (they throw really slowly) near jormag for example, and tars (slow too) in orr are very nice to dodge. If nobody lends a helping hand one mob is enough.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

If teaching people to dodge is a precursor for more difficult content being added BRING ON THE DODGES

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

First they want more skill added to gain a precurosr.
Then they complain about daily dodger.

kitten logic

1+1 = potato

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

First they want more skill added to gain a precurosr.
Then they complain about daily dodger.

kitten logic

Not sure it’s the same people complaining :P

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Some abilities do it too – #5 underwater skill on thief (I think) spear evades – I had my dodger done before I had my 20 underwater kills in, and it wasn’t even my intention.

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

I’m shocked at how many people can’t dodge.

I can’t dodge. I really can’t. It’s a mechanic I can’t master.

I’m a ranger, so I can use a greatsword to get my daily, but I never actively dodge when playing. Ever. But I do get to use the trait for extra damage when your endurance is full. So there is a plus.

Posted by: Oatmeal.1895

Oatmeal.1895

People will complain about anything. I’m not necessarily speaking about the op. Dodging is a mechanical part of GW2. If you can’t do it, you’re SOL and you need to learn how.

Edit: Last part of my post was a bit mean, but I will say this:
You NEED TO LEARN how to dodge. You will NOT be able to do dungeons or fractals or group events in Orr or level 80 zones if you can not learn to dodge. You will be in a down state constantly and a hinderance to your allies because they will be wasting time reviving you instead of focusing on the event. So please learn to dodge!

(edited by Oatmeal.1895)

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I’m a ranger, so I can use a greatsword to get my daily, but I never actively dodge when playing. Ever. But I do get to use the trait for extra damage when your endurance is full. So there is a plus.

Please remember that post when people kick you from their dungeon groups.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

either you dodge too early through prediction, or dodge when Anet expected you to dodge at, get hit and dodge after.

While i dont ahve the same problem lucikly as you, since i aply from europe (no offence), still this seem like a weird way imo, since honestly a lot of times i find it better to dodge before the actual attack and make it jsut straitgh not even get close to hitting you rather thand dodgin in the last second, so well maybe imo just ahve it so that any attack that fully miss you (meaning if a multi-hit attack just hit once it wont count) from a mob that you are in combat with could be a better idea?

Posted by: Babalona.2415

Babalona.2415

I really dislike this new daily. I am okay with most of it, but the dodge daily is ridiculous. The makers of GW2 when they added this as a daily didn’t think about all classes. As an elementalist, i find it difficult to get this daily in. It requires almost killing myself to get a dodge in because it requires me to get face to face with a mob…something casters don’t do. Personally, I think it takes away from the enjoyability of the game for me. It is difficult to get 20 of these in being a caster and takes me hours to do it.

On a positive note, I find it easy to get this done in zones where you have flying projectiles from cannons and what not because you can dodge out of the circle.

(edited by Babalona.2415)

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

I cannot think of the territory name as I just started working my Asura, but there is an area with Golems that do some special moves.
One does a rabbit type punch that is ranged the other does a whirlwind attack.
Both attacks may be dodged after you start taking dmage as they are sustained attacks.
Double dodge during each attack and you can be done in 2-4 Golems.
Most will complain that they would have to spend a silver or so to get there, but I think a Laurel outweighs the cost.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Dodging should be such an automated response by now that you shouldn’t have to think about it. I got this one yesterday doing the 25 underwater kills killing Inquest in the zone south of L.A.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Avatar.1923

LOL

If you lag too much to complete that “dodge daily” i’m sorry, i don’t want you in my team.
geez. i feel bad for you. you really must like action mmos to play them with such lag.

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

People are seriously complaining about this?

lol you guys must suck at this game

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

Please remember that post when people kick you from their dungeon groups.

I’m the same I don’t dodge (well) either (and i suck at jumping puzzles!)… so I don’t do dungeons….

I’m not asking for it to be removed from the game as I’m sure some people really enjoy rolling on the floor… but it’s something I will never be good at.

@akiko (its my cat name)

dodging is kind of necessary for any high level content.
especially if you melee…

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I mean no offense, but you can get this daily just while farming nodes at areas such as Cursed Shore, Southsun Cove, and the like. Just by playing, not even trying to get the dodges. The enemies on those areas will provide with plenty of opportunities to do so without even trying to “get” those 15 dodges (Veteran Karkas, Veteran Giants with its many Risen Grubs, multiple mobs at Orr, etc.)

Now, it should be hard with lag, but then so are many other things in the game (WvW, multiple enemies fights, dungeons, etc.) In fact, dodging with lag could be easier than doing WvW/dungeons with too much lag.

The only daily I am not fond about is the 25 underwater creatures kills, because it does take some time (and truth to be told, I don’t like underwater combat.)

To those who find it hard, it’s just a skill you learn with practice-dodging isn’t that hard once you get the hang of it, and once mastered will make the game way easier and more fun for you (coming from GW1, I remember how hard it was to get used to dodging during Beta events.)

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Try the higher level worms who throw boulders at you. The telegraph is unmistakeable and gives plenty of time to learn when exactly to hit the button to dodge, even with lag. If that’s still too difficult to manage, I can’t even imagine what it must be like playing this game without dodging, because clearly, you can’t possibly be using it effectively.

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

I very much dislike the dodge for dailys. I guess i’m dodging too soon, because it takes me about 50 dodges to get the 15 needed. I’m a ranger and set my pet to not fight, but i miss the evades alot because the pet is still taking the hit.

seriously guys… just run in a bunch of mobs and dodge between them all once its ready.
this daily is so easy..
i mean.. that easy..

its a l2p issue.

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

Go find some mundane animals like deer or wasps and use those as dodge practice and you’ll get it done in about 5 minutes tops…the benefit to this is that you wont suffer as much if you misstime a dodge unlike if you use aoe’s and such.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Dodging should be such an automated response by now that you shouldn’t have to think about it. I got this one yesterday doing the 25 underwater kills killing Inquest in the zone south of L.A.

well if you play a ranged class you usually keep out of reach of melee mobs most the times, and well even more so if you play a mesmer like me 50% of ranged attack either kills my clones, or goes toward my feedback bubble, ie i dont get a dodge, and if they go towards me i dodge before they are close enough to me for the game to register it as a dodge most times, but no i do not personally ahve problems with it, but i can see why some ppl might find it frustrating