Daily: Dodger

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

@akiko (its my cat name)

dodging is kind of necessary for any high level content.
especially if you melee…

not really. I run around Orr a lot as a guardian and never dodge. obviously I don’t solo champions but I can easily kill veterans and up to 4 or 5 regular level 80-82 mobs and never use a dodge… and I am only in green and yellow gear as well.

When big events happen I can never see my Avatar or even the mobs half the time as my screen is totaly lit up with spell effects so I would never know when i’m supposed to dodge anyhow. (thank goodness for leap of faith or i would be swinging at air most of the time!)

(and Akiko is my RL name!)

Posted by: Avatar.1923

big events are a problem in gw2.
more than 5-6 players and its a spam zergfest.
some players like it, dont ask me why.. loot probly

thats why i prefer dungeons.
i feel that the gameplay is at its best in small group fights like dungeon and spvp.
zergs… are… just… boring imo!

but if there are mobs everywere just dodge around and it will work.
im a guard too and this daily is quite easy, especially in orr!

akiko is autumn girl!
nice name, cat girl.

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

@akiko (its my cat name)

especially if you melee…

not really. I run around Orr a lot as a guardian and never dodge. obviously I don’t solo champions but I can easily kill veterans and up to 4 or 5 regular level 80-82 mobs and never use a dodge… and I am only in green and yellow gear as well.

When big events happen I can never see my Avatar or even the mobs half the time as my screen is totaly lit up with spell effects so I would never know when i’m supposed to dodge anyhow. (thank goodness for leap of faith or i would be swinging at air most of the time!)

This.
I said in another thread that I dont have to dodge on my guard, man was I shot down lol. Someone said id have smaller repairbills and figjts would be faster. Well I hardly ever die, and I dont see how dodging would make kills faster. Perhaps they assumed im talking dungeonplay, I dont do dungeons.
But doing orr without dodging is np, and like u said in events theres so many spelleffects going on I might as well keep my eyes closed and swing away. Usually I crawl out alive too! Lol.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Dodging should be such an automated response by now that you shouldn’t have to think about it. I got this one yesterday doing the 25 underwater kills killing Inquest in the zone south of L.A.

well if you play a ranged class you usually keep out of reach of melee mobs most the times, and well even more so if you play a mesmer like me 50% of ranged attack either kills my clones, or goes toward my feedback bubble, ie i dont get a dodge, and if they go towards me i dodge before they are close enough to me for the game to register it as a dodge most times, but no i do not personally ahve problems with it, but i can see why some ppl might find it frustrating

I have a Ranger and a Mesmer and I’m dodging with them frequently. Some mobs are smart enough to ignore the chaff and go after you directly. The worms I mentioned earlier, will switch from pet to player after the first couple of hits. Arctodus do the same thing, which makes getting this achievement easy as pie while waiting for the Claw of Jormag to spawn in Frostgorge Sound. I’ll complete it just by doing a short gather circuit along the northern coast.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

@akiko (its my cat name)

especially if you melee…

This.
I said in another thread that I dont have to dodge on my guard, man was I shot down lol. Someone said id have smaller repairbills and figjts would be faster. Well I hardly ever die, and I dont see how dodging would make kills faster. Perhaps they assumed im talking dungeonplay, I dont do dungeons.
But doing orr without dodging is np, and like u said in events theres so many spelleffects going on I might as well keep my eyes closed and swing away. Usually I crawl out alive too! Lol.

sadly, this is exactly why end game open world is kitten and not viable in the long run.
most people “farm” it, but without challenge it gets boring fast.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Dodging should be such an automated response by now that you shouldn’t have to think about it. I got this one yesterday doing the 25 underwater kills killing Inquest in the zone south of L.A.

well if you play a ranged class you usually keep out of reach of melee mobs most the times, and well even more so if you play a mesmer like me 50% of ranged attack either kills my clones, or goes toward my feedback bubble, ie i dont get a dodge, and if they go towards me i dodge before they are close enough to me for the game to register it as a dodge most times, but no i do not personally ahve problems with it, but i can see why some ppl might find it frustrating

I do play a mesmer primarily. I not only dodge ranged attacks, I dodge to create more clones. Sometimes I’ll even dodge because my asura looks like Yoda flipping around when he does.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Bob.8456

Bob.8456

I cannot believe what I am reading here.
Failing to evade attacks IS a L2P issue…yes I understand that if you time it too early you roll thru and don’t even trigger an evade, but you should still be dodging any attack you can, that is how this game is meant to be played. So in a couple of hours of play at any level this achievement should not even be on your radar, it should be an automatic pop. If it isn’t, then quit kittening about it and learn how to do it and use it EVERY day even if it isn’t the achievement.

Threads like this make me realize why there are so many people going down again and again in dungeons. Just learn to dodge please, you will have a much better time.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

I do play a mesmer primarily. I not only dodge ranged attacks, I dodge to create more clones. Sometimes I’ll even dodge because my asura looks like Yoda flipping around when he does.

well my main is a lvl 80 mesmer as well and well my main way to dodge is with skills like phase retreat and such (yes i play a condition specced staff mesmer), so dont use my endurance that much really, and no i dont die much either in fact i tend to be last player standing in most dungeons, or at least one of the last when my group fails. and well as for making clones with dodges well i dont need that trait myself so dont really know but i doubt most of those dodge rolls for that purpose would trigger and evade

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

for the dodging one, aggro a jungle or plains Wurm, and avoid its rock attack. might take awhile, but it is safer, i think that trying to dodge high-level stuff (which also works well).

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

The champion underwater ice worm in Fireheart Rise is easy to earn dodge achievement. Stay at a range distance and let him throw rocks at you. They are extremely easy to dodge.

Akiko.2364

I have no problem dodging. I do the daily every day, and I have a 80 mesmer as well and use the dodge to create a clone too. I just dont use it in day to day play much on my main character my guardian was all I ment to say.

Sure you need to dodge in dungeons, but I rarely ever go into them as that sort of content dosn’t interest me. I already have a set look I like and dont need anymore skins to wear on my armour… I have sothing like 500,000+ points of unspent karma and have no interest in Legendaries or ascended gear as I just see them as fluff.

Posted by: Snapdragyn.1238

Snapdragyn.1238

I’m glad some people find this one easy. I’m glad some people are able to finish this one in mere moments, or by playing exactly as they normally play.

I solo a lot. My main is a ranger. I run axe/torch (love the combos) w/ a melee pet. I almost never dodge in regular play because I hardly ever need to – my pet is generally the one taking hits, not me. I also run a warrior who hardly ever dodges (he kills things fast enough so why bother), an elementalist who hardly ever dodges (ditto), & a variety of lower level classes (& at lower levels I find it just not necessary). So no, I don’t pick up this one through ordinary play because I don’t bother to dodge very often in ordinary play – it usually seems like a waste of time IMO.

I also found very quickly during beta that I SUCK at dodging – I am not a twitch player. I can track multiple mobs & coordinate a variety of things simultaneously (harkening back to old school EQ bard swarmkiting pre-automated twisting), but I can’t dodge for kitten.

I understand the principal of utilizing the dailies to ‘teach’ the game. What I find, however, is that it feels like I’m being nudged into playing the game ‘right’ – as if somehow the way I enjoy playing the game is ‘wrong’. I’m not out there constantly meeting death for failure to dodge – in fact, I’ve met more death from trying to get through this kitten daily!

‘Round up a swarm & just dodge’… or, if you suck at it like I do, just die when they all unleash right AFTER you dodge (or right before, whatever). ‘Dodge an archer’; I can’t time it reliably & have to sit there trying & trying & healing & waiting for stamina to build up enough & trying again & finally running the mob off because kitten my health is too low now gonna die. ‘Find something with a slow swing’; I’ve tried with a single melee centaur, the ones with the reeeeeaaaaallllyyyy long projected swing… & maybe get 1 dodge out of every 6 or 7 swings (also done ettins & worms with the same result; in fact, I’m actually worse of all on the worms – which have the slowest wind up). Probably the only things I manage with much success at all is AEs, but I’m having trouble finding enough of those (& they tend not to fire that often per fight).

Additional fun bits of the dodge one: on my ranger, I have to turn my pet OFF to have a decent chance of getting this one, since otherwise the mobs focus more on my pet (I recognize that people who are better dodgers my not have to resort to this). Hmm, ‘teaching’ me to play the game ‘right’ but getting me to disable a major feature of my class? Likewise when trying to do this one on my lowbie mesmer I had to avoid using any sort of clones… which is, um, kinda a big part of what the class is about. Hrm. :/

So again, I’m glad that there are folks who enjoy this one – but I hate it with a deep & burning passion. >/

Posted by: Daemonne.5018

Daemonne.5018

I’m glad some people find this one easy. I’m glad some people are able to finish this one in mere moments, or by playing exactly as they normally play.

I solo a lot. My main is a ranger. I run axe/torch (love the combos) w/ a melee pet. I almost never dodge in regular play because I hardly ever need to – my pet is generally the one taking hits, not me. I also run a warrior who hardly ever dodges (he kills things fast enough so why bother), an elementalist who hardly ever dodges (ditto), & a variety of lower level classes (& at lower levels I find it just not necessary). So no, I don’t pick up this one through ordinary play because I don’t bother to dodge very often in ordinary play – it usually seems like a waste of time IMO.

I also found very quickly during beta that I SUCK at dodging – I am not a twitch player. I can track multiple mobs & coordinate a variety of things simultaneously (harkening back to old school EQ bard swarmkiting pre-automated twisting), but I can’t dodge for kitten.

I understand the principal of utilizing the dailies to ‘teach’ the game. What I find, however, is that it feels like I’m being nudged into playing the game ‘right’ – as if somehow the way I enjoy playing the game is ‘wrong’. I’m not out there constantly meeting death for failure to dodge – in fact, I’ve met more death from trying to get through this kitten daily!

‘Round up a swarm & just dodge’… or, if you suck at it like I do, just die when they all unleash right AFTER you dodge (or right before, whatever). ‘Dodge an archer’; I can’t time it reliably & have to sit there trying & trying & healing & waiting for stamina to build up enough & trying again & finally running the mob off because kitten my health is too low now gonna die. ‘Find something with a slow swing’; I’ve tried with a single melee centaur, the ones with the reeeeeaaaaallllyyyy long projected swing… & maybe get 1 dodge out of every 6 or 7 swings (also done ettins & worms with the same result; in fact, I’m actually worse of all on the worms – which have the slowest wind up). Probably the only things I manage with much success at all is AEs, but I’m having trouble finding enough of those (& they tend not to fire that often per fight).

Additional fun bits of the dodge one: on my ranger, I have to turn my pet OFF to have a decent chance of getting this one, since otherwise the mobs focus more on my pet (I recognize that people who are better dodgers my not have to resort to this). Hmm, ‘teaching’ me to play the game ‘right’ but getting me to disable a major feature of my class? Likewise when trying to do this one on my lowbie mesmer I had to avoid using any sort of clones… which is, um, kinda a big part of what the class is about. Hrm. :/

So again, I’m glad that there are folks who enjoy this one – but I hate it with a deep & burning passion. >/

I don’t know how you have your Keybinds set but I have set my DODGE to my mousewheel when it is depressed not rolled.
I no longer have to double click to dodge, if I am already moving in one direction I just click the wheel and I am dodging. It may give you a little bit of an edge to the default setting.
2nd, use an alt to get the Daily done if your Ranger is having pet troubles :-) I personally use a spot in the Asura territory, when I am pressed for time, that has Golems that do Sustained attacks and dodge a couple of times through each one. Since they are sustained attacks I never fail to gain a dodge even though I also take damage.

If you play solitaire with only one suit, your game is going to end faster and feel lacking.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

seriously, I don’t know why this is such an issue. Most mobs have moves that have a charge time, when you see it, dodge. Just play the game as intended. You can finish this in like 5min

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

If aren’t able to doge 10 attacks in one day, how are you playing the game anyway?

I tend to be too fast, I dodge the attack just fine, it’s just that the system doesn’t register it as counting towards that tacievment

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I suggest trying the red oozes in Metrica Province, if you’re having trouble dodging attacks due to lag.

They have a visual wind-up, and they follow up with three fireballs in a row. If you’re standing at a moderate distance from them and dodge directly away from them as soon as you see them fire the first fireball, you should get dodge credit for at least one of the fireballs, even if you’re lagging. If you’re lucky, sometimes you can get credit for two dodges at the same time.

They also don’t do much damage, even to low-level characters, so you shouldn’t be in any danger of lag-related deaths.

Good luck!

Posted by: alemfi.5107

alemfi.5107

One of the easiest way to get it: If you can reach the dark room in EB JP, dodging through the fire arrow statue traps gets you 3 per dodge.

When ground-targetted bone minion explosions become a thing, I will change this signature.- 2013
http://twitch.tv/alemfi/

Akiko.2364

I don’t know how you have your Keybinds set but I have set my DODGE to my mousewheel when it is depressed not rolled.
I no longer have to double click to dodge, if I am already moving in one direction I just click the wheel and I am dodging. It may give you a little bit of an edge to the default setting.
[/quote]

that’s a good idea! I will have to try that. being left handed the stock keyboard set up didnt work for me and I remapped it to the 0 key on the numerical pad as my right hand is usualy on the arrow keys. I use my little finger to Dodge, but that sounds much easier.

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

Bears are another critter that indicates what they’re going to do a couple of seconds before the attack hits.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Oakenharts in queensdale are the simple. They go on their back two feet and when about to land, you dodge.

There are plenty of places you can get dodge done. The problem is people don’t use it and prefer to spam attack/defense – i strongly suggest you learn to implement the dodge mechanic into your gameplay. For me it makes combos as an Ele more flowing.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: dpaul.2759

dpaul.2759

I like to do my dailies while leveling, and I rarely dodge while doing so. As I run a power/zerker build, things die so fast that dodging would be a waste of effort and time. Easiest way to get this daily done for me: go to Claypool Waypoint in Queensdale. There are 3 tasks you can do to complete the heart, one of which is block attacks with a shield. Equip the shield, but instead of blocking, dodge. Super easy skill to see, very easy to evade. Mob can’t die, and neither can you. He attacks you every few seconds, so you should be able to complete this daily in a minute or two. Enjoy!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Make a Thief and use shadow assault under water or go roll around in volatile blossom smoke in twilight arbor if u wanna super fast lazy way.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Moderator.3406

Moderator.3406

As this discussion has run its course, the thread is now closed.