Daily feast is out of whack

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Generally, each individual daily is reasonably doable if you’re playing that aspect of the game: If you’re exploring the Shiverpeaks, then getting 40 kills there isn’t unreasonable. If you’re playing WvW, getting 10 invader kills comes pretty naturally.

But daily feast seems to be a huge exception. Is eating 25 pieces of food something that anyone gets close to during normal play?

Edit: Yes. It’s easy to go to the TP and buy 25 pieces of food. That’s not the point. The point is that this one daily seems to go against the spirit of a daily as something you achieve via normal play.

(edited by Lord Kuru.3685)

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

Not during normal play. I just usually buy or craft 25 of the cheapest foods imaginable and eat them rapid fire. Q.E.D.

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

No, but it’s something that happens for ~1s every time it’s a daily and I’ve stopped by the TP.

Next thing you know people’ll be complaining about the laurel vendor daily.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

It’s not. But going to the trading post, buying 25 chocolate chip cookies or crab cakes and wolfing them down isn’t all that difficult (or expensive).

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

For me the daily feats is like the daily laurel vendor visitor. A free achievement.
This is what I do:
1: go to a master chef, and ask for cooking supplies
2: locate ‘Rice in bulk’ and by one package (49 karma)
3: unpack to recieve exact 25 riceballs
4: keep clicking on the riceballs till you eaten all 25
(you dont need to wait for the effect to wear off, it only costed 49 karma and your done within a minute with this achievement)

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Lord Kuru.3685

Of course going to the TP and buying 25 of the cheapest food is not difficult. But the point is that it seems to be out of line with the “spirit” of the Daily, especially as compared to other dailies.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

It isn’t the only one. I don’t go around killing ambient creatures when exploring, but that one is on there too. Same with the laurel vendor achievement, can’t see that being a daily habit. How many Costume Brawl’s do typical PvEers get into daily (though admittedly this does stretch a bit as you mentioned “if you play that aspect of the game”)?

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

No, they just want/expect you to play (30 minutes * 25 food items) 12+ hours a day.

Doesn’t everyone do that?

Lord Kuru.3685

It isn’t the only one. I don’t go around killing ambient creatures when exploring, but that one is on there too. Same with the laurel vendor achievement, can’t see that being a daily habit. How many Costume Brawl’s do typical PvEers get into daily (though admittedly this does stretch a bit as you mentioned “if you play that aspect of the game”)?

Actually, I think 30 ambients is a bit high as well. But I’ve noticed killing 15 sometimes without trying, at least when PvEing.

Laurel vendor: At least a lot of people visit the laurel vendor each day.
Costume Brawl: same. There are, each day, a lot of people who costume brawl.

But is there any playstyle where people even get close to eating 25 pieces of food a day?

On another note, it’d be hilarious (in an evil sort of way) to see a daily where you have to kill less than, say, 10 ambients that day.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I think the pvp dailies are worse. Daily Feast is obviously to take excess food out of the economy.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I don’t do jumping puzzles in normal game play, but guess what…

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I just buy food from a random lion’s arch vendor for a few copper.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

The daily ambient killer is somewhat lenghty/boring. but then again , if you know the right spot it isn’t too difficult.

I normally keep my spot a bit secret (atleast here on the forum, seen good spots turned too crowded), but I go to the corpse of isomir in wayfairer foothills. Lot’s of crows around. They do fly up when you kill one but come down again very quick, and even when they flew away you can still kill them with aoe damage.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Lord Kuru.3685

But some people do them as normal game play.

Does anyone eat 25 pieces of food in normal play?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

No, but it’s something that happens for ~1s every time it’s a daily and I’ve stopped by the TP.

OMG! I know, right. I, like, never go there to see the laurel dude and then BAM all the sudden I have to go all the way out of my way. It positively ruins my immersion. Game breaking really.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Lord Kuru.3685

OMG! I know, right. I, like, never go there to see the laurel dude and then BAM all the sudden I have to go all the way out of my way. It positively ruins my immersion. Game breaking really.

Wow. Reading comprehension FTL.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Wow. Reading comprehension FTL.

It was a joke. I thought the OMG and the valley girl esque language would clue people in.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’m not sure you can say what I do is normal, but…

When this comes up, I usually grab one of my charr and go to the fish vendor in Queensdale (right outside of DR). Crayfish, 16c each, and I can easily see a charr downing 25 of them in one go. I do this because it amuses me to do so, I rather like the mental image it gives me.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Gallows.4318

Gallows.4318

A friend of mine started playing recently and he wanted to do the daily. Feast was up and I told him to go to the tp and just buy some food. He replied back: " wow food is powerful".

Yeah. It may or may not serve a purpose – but it’s harmless and just a nice easy quick one to do.

Lord Kuru.3685

When this comes up, I usually grab one of my charr and go to the fish vendor in Queensdale (right outside of DR). Crayfish, 16c each, and I can easily see a charr downing 25 of them in one go. I do this because it amuses me to do so, I rather like the mental image it gives me.

It’s not normal play if you only do it when you see that daily is on the list.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Then I guess it’s not normal.

Except for when I’ve run around buying carnival junk food for a character, just so they can eat until they’re ready to hurl.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Gallows.4318

For some RP event it may be normal.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

I don’t care. My point is valid. If I want that achievement point, I go do the easiest puzzle I know. I can’t always be bothered to do that. You don’t have to spend 1s on Tarragon Loaf bread either.

Now let’s talk about Daily Activity Participation. I’m sure the Monday Morning Metrics Meeting at Anet shows a healthy level of participation in the Daily Activities. Let them take away the achievement point and see what happens.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

Yes I do.

The immediate fallacy is that food lasts 30 minutes, so I must be playing for 12 hours, but no; I regularly may pop a consumable for a single pull and then switch back to the previous consumable.

Multiply this throughout 10+ dungeon paths where pulls can be quite varied, and even open world depending ultimately upon many circumstances.

Posted by: Bunschii.2918

Bunschii.2918

This one is pretty easy imo. I normally rage with fractal runner, world ranker and defense restorer when i got them at the same time than this

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

I did get it “naturally” once with sequential food uses during a 16 hour leveling binge on my first Guardian (only took that long because I’d tab out of the game to respond to email, or wander downstairs to get a sandwich and get caught up in something my roommates had on TV, or just not notice the icon had disappeared and it was time to eat a new one).

I would never even consider that again. I agree it’s easy to finish the achievement as it’s currently constituted, but I also agree that the spirit of the thing is clearly out of whack with actual play behaviors. And I can’t imagine it’s moving all that much low-end food off the Trading Post, since I usually just grab a 25 stack of Cotton Candy or whatever from an NPC vendor and don’t worry that I could save 1.5 silver buying from other players.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

(edited by Melchior.2135)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Or, if you have a guild whith people who are cooks, there’s a guild bank full of stuff you can use for free. lol

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t consider visiting a laurel vendor as part of normal play, either, and that takes me only slightly less time than doing daily feast does.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

1: Find nearest Master Chef

2: Buy Rice in Bulk for 48 Karma

3: Eat all 25 things of rice that come with it

4: ???

5: Profit

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Lord Kuru.3685

Then I guess it’s not normal.

Except for when I’ve run around buying carnival junk food for a character, just so they can eat until they’re ready to hurl.

This definitely counts.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I do what mercury does. Extremely easy 1 AP.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

lol, principally flawed or not, complaining about one of the easiest dailes is…nitpicking…

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I don’t think I have eaten a single thing in-game since March of last year.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I agree with the OP.

Yes, it’s easy to cheese this achievement. But shouldn’t dailies come from natural play?

How is eating 12.5 hours worth of buff-food “natural play”?

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I agree. Its easy to do, but its really silly. Dailies should be something that a reasonable person COULD do naturally while playing. People may not visit the laurel vendor or do a costume brawl every day, but many will do so occasionally. And those types of things are 1-and-done, so if you do happen to be doing that on the day its active, boom. Daily done.

25 food? Few people are ever going to consume that much food in a single day except for the daily. You’ll never “stumble upon it” or anything, pretty much the only way it’d ever get done is if you specifically do it.

Plus, even if you argue that people won’t do costume brawl or something like Crab Toss / Survival / Sprint except for the daily, at least that is encouraging an actual activity. It encourages people to do something a little different that can actually be an enjoyable thing.

Eating 25 food? A few clicks on the TP and 50 clicks on the menu. Very engaging.

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

Alot of lower level food, and most vendor bought food, is only 10 minutes. Conceivably, someone could eat 25 of those just eating 1 when it wore off in a pretty standard evening of playing. Although I agree its not exactly something that would happen as you go about your business like most of the dailies.

Posted by: RottenRagamuffin.3159

RottenRagamuffin.3159

I think scoffing down food that you aren’t going to use is pretty wasteful, but then so is karma spender and badge of honour spender, more often than not.

The upside of Anet making players purchase food to get this achievement on their dailies is that perhaps the price of food might go up… eventually. As it is, for those of us that cook, the price of food on the TP is, for the most part, far less than the cost of making it.

(SBI)

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

As other players have suggested, I think the underlying motive is to prop up some of the lowest-end prices for food items.

But yeah, it’s still kind of silly.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

There is food that lasts 20min or so. That’s around 8h for 25 pieces.
What if you swap back and forth between the +xxx stat after mob kill and static food to maximize effectiveness? What if you can’t decide between pve and wvw and keep going back and forth changing everything from build and gear to food?

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

Instead of TP, you can also visit the vendors outside LA bank selling various cheap food buffs. For 2s you can complete this daily easily.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

LOL! I remember (many months ago now) someone complaining about having to craft 10 things for dailies. It was obvious they had never crafted in their life.

Ignorance is bliss?

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Gallows.4318

There is food that lasts 20min or so. That’s around 8h for 25 pieces.
What if you swap back and forth between the +xxx stat after mob kill and static food to maximize effectiveness? What if you can’t decide between pve and wvw and keep going back and forth changing everything from build and gear to food?

Precisely. I often change food in WvW. Sometimes I use condition duration reduction, then I change my heal and use condition removal food… or I simply pop some power food. I don’t know if I’ve gotten 25 servings naturally but on days where I’ve played a lot of WvW it’s been up there.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I buy apple pies (among other things) for “daily karma spender” and eat them a few days later for “daily feast”.

I always have more than enough apple pie on me. Freebie achievement point.

As for the OP’s concern, it totally depends on your playing style. I have to go out of my way for “Daily mystic forge” or “daily crafter” every time. They’re not part of my daily routine. And they don’t have to be.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

I also think it’s a bit ridiculous as an achievement… I don’t see why people are comparing it to things out of their daily routine. Crafters will get their crafting done, puzzle jumpers get their jumping done, mystic forge & karma vendor just encourages new players to check out things they otherwise wouldn’t, killing ambient creatures keeps their populations in check, wolfing down 25 apple pies… really…

I can see it as encouraging new players to get acclimated to using buff foods, but surely the same could be accomplished with a 3 course meal. I don’t plan on entering my characters into any sort of eating contests, after all.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Dude, there are people here on the forums who think that being “an achievement hound” is normal. I mean, I don’t think the general idea that the exact definition of a “no-life”, i.e. achievement hound, should be considered “normal” by any standards.

The first and the last thing to do about dailies is – 5 dailies max per account. You choose whichever 5 you want to do, the rest gets locked once you’ve done other 5.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

(edited by Corpus Christi.2057)

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Why don’t you just use these?

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I agree with the OP.

Yes, it’s easy to cheese this achievement. But shouldn’t dailies come from natural play?

How is eating 12.5 hours worth of buff-food “natural play”?

I don’t visit the laurel vendor during natural play. Some dailies are there because some people like certain things (like the minigames which not everyone does naturally) and some are there JUST to teach people some of the game basics.

So dodger and laurel vendor are in there to introduce people to dodging and the laurel vendor. Eating is in there to constantly remind people to take their food. Food buffs are a relatively big part of this game and most people don’t use them.

I think the reminder is a good idea.

There are 9 other achievements you can get while you play. The food buff thing is there to get people thinking about food….and also to give them progress on their food eating achievement.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

The first and the last thing to do about dailies is – 5 dailies max per account. You choose whichever 5 you want to do, the rest gets locked once you’ve done other 5.

You get a rewards chest once you’ve completed 5, but that doesn’t lock you out of getting achievement points for doing more than 5.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

You get a rewards chest once you’ve completed 5, but that doesn’t lock you out of getting achievement points for doing more than 5.

I clearly said what it should be like: once you do the 5, you are barred from doing the others. Getting all daily ap ( around 21 or so ) is a joke – people become just ignorant achievement hunters, which is something that should be prevented.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: Exquisitor.5076

Exquisitor.5076

I think the dailies are meant to be pretty trivial, just something to keep you in the game. Most of them are pretty mindless. The food one is no different than these: forgesmith, spend the karma, or visit the laurels vendor. They are all really inane. I do the easy ones first, then play in various settings to get the final ones.