Damask

Damask

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: raenen.5807

raenen.5807

I know this has come up before and with the new raiding coming up is there any chance of making silk the same as other crafting dailies? All the other dailies are 50 units and silk is 100. Damask is the roadblock for all ascended crafting. Its 8 or 9 gold a day to build it up. I dont want Anet to just hand me ascended for free but maybe some other way of getting silk.

Damask

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Arenanet’s trademarks; Soon™, When It’s Ready™, Balance™.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Damask

Posted by: Varonth.5830

Varonth.5830

I know this has come up before and with the new raiding coming up is there any chance of making silk the same as other crafting dailies? All the other dailies are 50 units and silk is 100. Damask is the roadblock for all ascended crafting. Its 8 or 9 gold a day to build it up. I dont want Anet to just hand me ascended for free but maybe some other way of getting silk.

It’s not just Silk. The whole ascended crafting process needs a rework. There is no reliable way of farming any of the materials directly, as they are depending on drops. The low level items which are required are unfarmable by level 80 characters, so you are completely reliant on the randomness of silverwaste chestfarm.

Weapon crafting also has some weird components, like Iron and Soft Wood, which for no reason requires 4 logs per plank and Iron being 3 per Ingot instead of 2.

Then we have the problem that some weapons require alot more time than others, because they use the same cooldown for all parts.

And then there is the massiv difference in cost between different armor types.
A light armor set cost more than twice of a medium armor set in ascended materials. There is alot of things wrong with ascended crafting, but as many system which were introduced once and didn’t quite work out well, this ascended crafting system is left to collect dust. Instead we will probably get some other way to get ascended armor.

Damask

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Same debate since almost 2 years.

I fell asleep over it.

silk ist too high, rng is bad, luck accounts, we need mounts, we need duelling, we need capes,…

in continuous loop

Damask

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

do dungeons, sell rares, buy the extra silk you don’t get from salvaging greens/blues and loot bags. if you do 9 fast dungeon paths (couple hours game time) you will always break even. squeeze in a teq for another gold or two, depending on drops, and hit silverwastes.

farming gold needed is always better than farming mats directly.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Damask

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

That’s actually NCSoft’s.
Anet just adopted it.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Damask

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

A light armor set cost more than twice of a medium armor set in ascended materials.

…Does it really? I made my light ascended armor back in July, and here are the numbers I used:

Light
393damask+12leather= 405g

Medium
262damask+40leather= 302g

Heavy
273damask+56steel= 329g

While I agree that light armor shouldn’t cost so much more, let’s not overstate the case.

It’s possible the numbers have changed since then, or that someone could get different numbers depending on what mix of buy order / sell order / craft they use to calculate values, but I won’t believe it’s double unless someone can show me their numbers.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Damask

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

NO NO NO….don’t change anything. It’s meant to be hard, it’s like a side thing to do after you are finish the game, otherwise it would be so boring if everyone is running around with ascended weapon or armor.

Play with Exotic if you can’t afford damask, it’s only like 5% difference. Stop being lazy and asking Anet to give you handouts.

Also, how would it feel for players that has already crafted their ascended then it’s changed, they will feel jaded.

Damask

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

NO NO NO….don’t change anything. It’s meant to be hard, it’s like a side thing to do after you are finish the game, otherwise it would be so boring if everyone is running around with ascended weapon or armor.

Play with Exotic if you can’t afford damask, it’s only like 5% difference. Stop being lazy and asking Anet to give you handouts.

Also, how would it feel for players that has already crafted their ascended then it’s changed, they will feel jaded.

Hard =\= expensive. The only challenge you face is gold. With that you can skip the time gate, grind. Any “challenge” in getting ascended will be self imposed in most situations.

Damask

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

They should add Silkworm gathering nodes that I can stab with my Sickle and rip the silk from their buttz.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Damask

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

The low level items which are required are unfarmable by level 80 characters,

If you’re talking about linen/cotton/wool, run some caudecus’s manor. The bags dropped by the bandits in there contain tons of the stuff. I’m honestly surprised it’s such an unpopular dungeon, given how rewarding it is.

If dungeons aren’t your thing, go find a map with level 40ish bandits and mercilessly slaughter them.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Damask

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

They should add Silkworm gathering nodes that I can stab with my Sickle and rip the silk from their buttz.

yes but gem shop exclusive . node for 2000 gems

Damask

Posted by: Sizer.3987

Sizer.3987

Hard =\= expensive. The only challenge you face is gold. With that you can skip the time gate, grind. Any “challenge” in getting ascended will be self imposed in most situations.

Wrong. Hard = expensive. Anet cannot put gear behind “challenging” content because it will either be too hard (only 5% of ppl will beat it) or too easy (everyone will beat it in an hour and run out of stuff to do) and people will complain either way

That is how this game has been designed and how it will always work, barring a total overhaul of the game. It sucks (I play mostly light armor classes, so I agree that its just awful), but you cant just nerf the cost by 50% after thousands of ppl already have the armor. That would ruin the economy and kitten off a ton of people.

80 Mesmer – Yaks Bend

Damask

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

Regardless of justification, making it expensive still doesn’t make it hard or challenging.

Damask

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

yes but gem shop exclusive . node for 2000 gems

But I meant scattered all over the world.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Damask

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s not just Silk. The whole ascended crafting process needs a rework. There is no reliable way of farming any of the materials directly, as they are depending on drops. The low level items which are required are unfarmable by level 80 characters, so you are completely reliant on the randomness of silverwaste chestfarm.

You mean cloth materials. Metal and wood can easily be farmed. Leather can’t be gotten directly but there’s practically very little demand for it so it’s cheap. However, the lower tiered cloth are farmable by level 80 characters although it’s not direct as there are no nodes.

A light armor set cost more than twice of a medium armor set in ascended materials.

Light armor does not cost twice as much as medium armor. Light armor costs between 60-90G, at any given time, more than heavy armor. Heavy armor costs about 20G more than medium armor.

There is alot of things wrong with ascended crafting, but as many system which were introduced once and didn’t quite work out well, this ascended crafting system is left to collect dust. Instead we will probably get some other way to get ascended armor.

Crafting is not the only source for ascended armor and weapons.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Damask

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

PLEASE make this happen. Make worm nodes and new buttcloth extractor harvesting tools, nao. The first infinite tool could be some weird mumbojumbo spinning drill thing with a claw on the side!…..

please?

Damask

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

do dungeons, sell rares, buy the extra silk you don’t get from salvaging greens/blues and loot bags. if you do 9 fast dungeon paths (couple hours game time) you will always break even. squeeze in a teq for another gold or two, depending on drops, and hit silverwastes.

This is exactly the reason the prices are so high.
If players took the challenge to find, harvest and salvage for their own materials, and then bought a few to top them off, the demand would be low, and the prices would follow. I have all 3 weight sets and spent less than 20G to top off sometimes. I never farmed anything, and I do not do dungeons to farm gold. I play the content to have fun, and the materials are there. I do dungeons to have fun, and the materials are there.
Patience is a virtue. Just take your time and the armor will be there.

Damask

Posted by: Guardian Of Tyria.6397

Guardian Of Tyria.6397

…Does it really? I made my light ascended armor back in July, and here are the numbers I used:

Light

Medium

Heavy
273damask+56steel= 329g

While I agree that light armor shouldn’t cost so much more, let’s not overstate the case.

It’s possible the numbers have changed since then, or that someone could get different numbers depending on what mix of buy order / sell order / craft they use to calculate values, but I won’t believe it’s double unless someone can show me their numbers.

As of right now (rounding to the nearest number for price of mats), the cost of ascended armor with just ascended mats is:

Light
(18 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (6 elonian leather x 3.5g each) = 327g

Medium
(6 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (18 elonian leather x 3.5g each) = 165g

Heavy
(7 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (16 deldrimor steel x 5g each) = 199g

Prices for mats were taken off GW2 wiki under the “trading post” section of the mat summary on the right upper part of the mat page.

So, really, light armor does cost twice as much as medium armor (right now, only considering price of ascended mats).

Damask

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Light

Medium

Heavy
273damask+56steel= 329g

As of right now (rounding to the nearest number for price of mats), the cost of ascended armor with just ascended mats is:

Light
(36 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (6 elonian leather x 3.5g each) = 633g

Medium
(24 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (18 elonian leather x 3.5g each) = 471g

Heavy
(25 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (16 deldrimor steel x 5g each) = 505g

Prices for mats were taken off GW2 wiki under the “trading post” section of the mat summary on the right upper part of the mat page.

So, really, light armor does cost twice as much as medium armor (right now, only considering price of ascended mats).

Fixed for you, as you forgot to consider the damask for the insignias.

Thats light armor only around 35% more expensive than medium and that percentage would go even lower, if we consider all the other mats because they would add value equally to all three weights……..

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Damask

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

This is a silly argument. Something being pricey does not equal hard. This isn’t something you earn doing some kind of difficult content. This is something that’s just grindy, but very faceroll to get at the end of the day. Tedious does not equal hard. I’m saying this and I have a full ascended set and the mats for another two sets ready. But I certainly would not mind if the recipe for damask was lowered. The prices are ridiculous right now.

Damask

Redenaz.8631

I was initially confused by your numbers, but I think you’re not counting the damask (18 bolts) used to make ascended insignia. That makes some sense, because every weight uses the same insignia, but it’s not the total cost of ascended mats.

If you include the insignia materials and craft it yourself, it’s only 33% more. (486light, 366g for med, 389 for heavy.) If you add up the numbers for a full suit of armor, the proportions drop even further.

I still think a 120g is too big a gap, but it just goes to show that whenever someone throws out numbers in this discussion, it serves the reader to examine those numbers and understand exactly how they’re calculated.

Edit: Wanze beat me to it. This was a response to Guardian of Tyria’s post.

Damask

Ayrilana.1396

Light

Medium

Heavy
273damask+56steel= 329g

Light
(18 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (6 elonian leather x 3.5g each) = 327g

Medium
(6 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (18 elonian leather x 3.5g each) = 165g

Heavy
(7 bolts of damask x 17g each) + (16 deldrimor steel x 5g each) = 199g

As of last night, using buy order prices, for the entire set:

Light – 522.33G
Medium – 416.63G
Heavy – 434.44G

Damask

Posted by: Guardian Of Tyria.6397

Guardian Of Tyria.6397

Light

Medium

Heavy
273damask+56steel= 329g

Light

Medium

Heavy

Thats light armor only around 35% more expensive than medium and that percentage would go even lower, if we consider all the other mats because they would add value equally to all three weights……..

You are correct, I didn’t include the price of the insignias, but the insignias are common across all crafting disciplines so shouldn’t be considered because they just buffer the actual difference between light/medium/heavy armor.

I boiled it down to the actual differences between armors and didn’t pad the prices with something that is common between all armors.

If you want to look at insignias in the crafting of armor, then perhaps the insignias should be changed too. Have cloth insignias for light armor, leather insignias for medium, and metal for heavy.

Now, before ppl blow up at this, listen. There would be a huge upset in the price of materials to start with but it would stabilizes relatively quickly. Damask price would shoot down (it’s not being fed into all crafting disciplines as much) and elonian and deldrimor would go up.

To me, that’s just too complicated, so that’s why I didn’t consider the aspects that are common across all armor weights and only focused on the differences in the crafting process.

Damask

Redenaz.8631

What you’re saying isn’t inaccurate, but we need to be careful with how we present data.

We can make the numbers suggest that light armor costs anywhere from 4 times what medium armor does to only costing less than 1/3 more, depending on how we frame things and which numbers we use.

*A Bolt of Damask costs four times what a piece of Elonian Leather does to craft one.
*Ascended materials for light armor, not including insignia, cost double what they do for medium armor.
*All of the ascended materials for light armor only costs 1/3 more than they do for medium armor.
*The total cost of light armor is less than 1/3 higher than that of medium armor.)

These are all true (more or less, your calculations may vary by current market rates and purchasing/crafting decisions,) but they present the situation very differently.

(edited by Redenaz.8631)

Damask

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

True.

First problem is the demand for Damask is significantly higher than the other time gated ascended mats. 85 Damask vs 24 Elonian vs 16 Deldimore in total among all three armor weights. That automatically means that Damask is going to be more expensive. Damask takes more than twice as long (in player days) as the other two combined. Even if the silk scraps required were 150 or 100, the amounts of T5 base material the other two ascended mats need, there would still need 3-5x as much as the T5 on the other two simply due to the demand of Damask compared to the other two.

Silk is the worst offender for raw material price but T2-T4 cloth prices are also much higher than either leather or ore (iron doing double duty since no T3) shows this with cloth requirements other than silk costing 3.9 gold Vs 2 gold for leather and ore.

So it’s not just the 2-3x worth of silk scraps vs Thick Leather vs Mithril Ore but also that Damask is needed way more than either of the other two which contributes to the price of Damask.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Damask

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

Wrong. Hard = expensive.

Ultimately effortless, but time-gated tedium is not difficult. Time moves forward without us even doing anything about it. That’s how easy it is to achieve ascended armor. The only thing stopping people from getting it immediately due to its ease of acquisition are the arbitrary barriers imposed by anet.

Anet cannot put gear behind “challenging” content because it will either be too hard (only 5% of ppl will beat it) or too easy (everyone will beat it in an hour and run out of stuff to do) and people will complain either way

Everything is already very easy, though. Arguably, one of the fastest ways to achieve ascended armor is by grinding the Silverwastes. That zone is entirely balanced in favor of the players due to their sheer mass of numbers combined with the ease of the mechanics. The only thing stopping players from getting ascended immediately is the RNG factor of maybe getting a chest drop and/or the total cost of materials that must be bought or salvaged. It’s not hard, it’s tedious by virtue of fluff content implemented to give the player the illusion of legitimate progression which doesn’t actually exist.

Moreover, “difficult” content in mmorpgs is typically synonymous with “unfair.” Given that mmorpgs are mainly balanced around hard counters, “difficult” content emerges when players cannot beat it due to certain factors: those factors typically concern themselves with the party not gearing or building itself properly. This isn’t really an active, in-combat skill factor, but rather something that players do before an encounter even begins. The skill factor of mmorpgs comes down to consulting an excel document and being relatively literate.

The trouble is that statistically, the type of community which plays mmorpgs are comprised 95-99% of people who seriously can’t read or turn with a mouse or something. There is a reason why statics are so highly prized and why people clique together within these sorts of games: the playerbase at large is typically very bad at video games.

you cant just nerf the cost by 50% after thousands of ppl already have the armor. That would ruin the economy and kitten off a ton of people.

Sure you can. The vast majority of people don’t have every one of their characters fully decked out in ascended armor. Those that do won’t have to worry given that they already have it. Since GW2 is already pretty alt-unfriendly due to its amount of unnecessary grind (not that there is a massive amount of grind, but the vast majority of it is entirely unnecessary; be clear about that), cutting the cost of ascended would relieve a lot of nonsense tedium from the player.

what cutting back on meaningless fluff and grind means for the amount of content that would actually remain in this game is left to be said.

Damask

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Light

Medium

Heavy
273damask+56steel= 329g

Light

Medium

Heavy

Why do you say “only around 35%” as if it is an insignificant difference? 162g means a lot of a lot players. And it is much higher (nearly 5 times!) than the 34g difference between heavy and medium armor.

Damask

Redenaz.8631

He says “only” because 35% more is very different from 100% more.

Both numbers are basically accurate, if you’re discounting insignia costs for the “twice as much” calculation, but they do put a very different spin on the situation.

Damask

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Being expensive is a challenge. Not a skill challenge, but a patience challenge.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Damask

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

This is exactly the reason the prices are so high.
If players took the challenge to find, harvest and salvage for their own materials, and then bought a few to top them off, the demand would be low, and the prices would follow. I have all 3 weight sets and spent less than 20G to top off sometimes. I never farmed anything, and I do not do dungeons to farm gold. I play the content to have fun, and the materials are there. I do dungeons to have fun, and the materials are there.
Patience is a virtue. Just take your time and the armor will be there.

The price of silk is high because Anet arbitrarily made it take twice as much as the leather/wood/metal equivalents, and it’s required for all forms of ascended armor.

Leather drops from the same sources as cloth, at roughly the same rate, and yet is barely worth anything.

If you want to look at insignias in the crafting of armor, then perhaps the insignias should be changed too. Have cloth insignias for light armor, leather insignias for medium, and metal for heavy.

The funny thing is they did this once, with the Gift of Blades recipe, and then never again.

Damask

Tao.5096

If you can’t afford crafting Bolt of Damask then what’s the point of trying to craft Ascended?

Damask

Behellagh.1468

It’s not just to 2-3x the T5 base material difference. Overall the need for Damask is 3-5x as much as either Elonian Leather or Deldimor Steel (85 vs 24 vs 16), assuming an equal number of light/medium/heavy ascended armor sets are being crafted. That alone increases the demand on the raw mats.

All combined the amount of Tier 5 base mats are 25.5K silk scrap vs 3.6K of Thick Leather Sections Vs 1.6K of Mithril Ore. So even halving the silk scrap requirement the demand will still be much higher than Thick Leather Sections. That’s the reason T2-T4 cloth is also expensive compared to leather or ore (no T3 ore is used so Iron gets doubled down).

RIP City of Heroes

Damask

Wanze.8410

It’s not just to 2-3x the T5 base material difference. Overall the need for Damask is 3-5x as much as either Elonian Leather or Deldimor Steel (85 vs 24 vs 16), assuming an equal number of light/medium/heavy ascended armor sets are being crafted. That alone increases the demand on the raw mats.

All combined the amount of Tier 5 base mats are 25.5K silk scrap vs 3.6K of Thick Leather Sections Vs 1.6K of Mithril Ore. So even halving the silk scrap requirement the demand will still be much higher than Thick Leather Sections. That’s the reason T2-T4 cloth is also expensive compared to leather or ore (no T3 ore is used so Iron gets doubled down).

You are completely disregarding the demand for deldrimor for asc weaponcrafting.

And damask is the obvious choice, if Anet wants to keep ascended armor crafting cost high because its used for all three professions, so they only have to micromanage one material instead of 3.

Lowering the price of damask also wouldnt neccesarily remedy the difference in crafting cost for the 3 different armor weights.

In fact, i dont even know, if reducing the silk requirements will even lead to lower damask prices, as the other tier cloth will become the bottleneck.
Right now, you need 1 part Cotton, 2 parts each wool and linen and 15 parts silk.
If Anet decides to reduce the silk requirement by 50%, we still need to get the other cloth. As people will now be able to to farm their own silk on a daily basis, they will require more t2 to t4 cloth, which will go up in price.

Right now, players are willing to pay 17g for a bolt of damask, and that wont change, if Anet changes the silk requirements, the other cloth will just go up in price until damask costs 17g again, if faucets for linen, cotton and wool arent adjusted.

We actually might end up lowering the price of damask in the long run but only because the player base will earn less gold per hour, as silk is now at vendor value again, which cuts everybodies income.

So it doesnt really matter, if damask will go down a couple of gold, if we earn 1g less per hour from selling silk.

Damask

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Wood and metal can be gathered from nodes, so are much less of a problem. Leather, if I remember rightly is only needed for Medium armor and a couple of light pieces.

Damask is needed for every piece of armor, at least 4 bolts. That makes them expensive and puts light armor characters at a cost disadvantage.

Then I don’t see anet treating this as an important issue, they just don’t care. It is their way of ensuring we do some grinding.

Damask

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

People who say 35% isn’t much, send me the difference. Thanks. Let’s call it 130g. My main wears light armor, as does my other main. All contributions welcome – ingame name ‘Not Really Sure’.

Next time you buy something at the shops, shop around until you find the most expensive place, and buy it from there. Seem sensible?

They really should adjust the mats needed to craft so that they work out roughly the same- the easiest way to do that would be to introduce ‘cloth’ type nodes so they can be reliably gathered and then reduce the amount of silk required.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Damask

Wanze.8410

People who say 35% isn’t much, send me the difference. Thanks. Let’s call it 130g. My main wears light armor, as does my other main. All contributions welcome – ingame name ‘Not Really Sure’.

Next time you buy something at the shops, shop around until you find the most expensive place, and buy it from there. Seem sensible?

They really should adjust the mats needed to craft so that they work out roughly the same- the easiest way to do that would be to introduce ‘cloth’ type nodes so they can be reliably gathered and then reduce the amount of silk required.

Just making damask cheaper will not remedy the price difference, nor does it address the higher timegate on light armor.

Your suggestion is a solution to a different problem, which we didnt even agree on that it is a problem yet.

Damask

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

If you can’t afford crafting Bolt of Damask then what’s the point of trying to craft Ascended?

Exactly. Exotic armor is fine, the extra 5% is negligible, you can play just fine without them. Besides, if you are at the point of crafting ascended, you should have enough golds and material already in storage. The only problem you should have is the gated material, it’s tough waiting out the days to get everything. But hey that’s part of the fun and when you finally craft it, it would be so gratifying.

Damask

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

You forgot Working As Intended™

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Damask

Behellagh.1468

You are completely disregarding the demand for deldrimor for asc weaponcrafting.

And damask is the obvious choice, if Anet wants to keep ascended armor crafting cost high because its used for all three professions, so they only have to micromanage one material instead of 3.

Lowering the price of damask also wouldnt neccesarily remedy the difference in crafting cost for the 3 different armor weights.

In fact, i dont even know, if reducing the silk requirements will even lead to lower damask prices, as the other tier cloth will become the bottleneck.
Right now, you need 1 part Cotton, 2 parts each wool and linen and 15 parts silk.
If Anet decides to reduce the silk requirement by 50%, we still need to get the other cloth. As people will now be able to to farm their own silk on a daily basis, they will require more t2 to t4 cloth, which will go up in price.

Right now, players are willing to pay 17g for a bolt of damask, and that wont change, if Anet changes the silk requirements, the other cloth will just go up in price until damask costs 17g again, if faucets for linen, cotton and wool arent adjusted.

We actually might end up lowering the price of damask in the long run but only because the player base will earn less gold per hour, as silk is now at vendor value again, which cuts everybodies income.

So it doesnt really matter, if damask will go down a couple of gold, if we earn 1g less per hour from selling silk.

Ah … I’m saying it wouldn’t affect the price of silk significantly because the demand for Damask is so much higher than the other ascended mats. Sure halving it would reduce the cost of Damask but it won’t drop the price of silk scraps as long as demand far outstrips new supply.

RIP City of Heroes

Damask

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

I understand that some things will be more expensive than others. I personally just wish crafting was consistent across the board. Make all refinements of a material type work exactly the same. Preferably at what ever the lowest rate is. Silk would still cost more than mythril and leather but would not as far out of whack as it is now. In so many ways this game is one of the most inconsistent games I have ever played. If they had everything consistent it would be much easier to balance everything. Make everything refine at 2 into one, no more of the 3 into 1 or even 4 into 1. Then make it so Silk, mithril, etc. cost 50 across the board and all the lower tiers cost 10 across the board. This will bring consistency and from there they can look at adjusting drop rates and such for the mats if they find things are out of whack. After that they should make it so doubloons work like other mats so that bronze can be crunched into silver and silver into gold and gold smashed into silver and silver smashed into bronze. And make a spot in material collections for doubloons. I hate not being able to deposit them.

Damask

Redenaz.8631

I dislike Light armor costing so much more than Medium/Heavy armor, but I don’t mind silk itself, and damask, costing more. While it might throw people a little that crafting patterns are not entirely consistent across material types, plain symmetry isn’t enough of a reason to make them drop silk to from 3scraps/bolt to 2.

Materials aren’t used evenly. Everyone uses silk, for instance, to make insignia, while thick leather sections aren’t used in nearly the same quantity. Metals don’t even follow the same 1:1 pattern as the others, with copper becoming copper/bronze ingots, platinum becoming platnium or darksteel ingots, etc. Materials, in general, aren’t acquired in the same way, either, although silk and leather are pretty similar.

Some people want symmetry in materials, but I think that’s a little misguided and unnecessary. If there is an actual problem, it comes down to differences in what each class pays for the same kind of gear. (Which is affected by all kinds of things, from recipes to the number of players playing those weight classes.)

Damask

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

There is alot of things wrong with ascended crafting, but as many system which were introduced once and didn’t quite work out well, this ascended crafting system is left to collect dust. Instead we will probably get some other way to get ascended armor.

Hardcore gambling is not a ‘source’ by any logic whatsoever, if anything it’s an expenditure, one for the particularly stupid and/or desperate. Anything you can get ascended gear from, you could be doing other content in the same time frame to gain more mats, gold, karma, pretty much everything in fact.

And I don’t even see why we’re on this subject. John Smith (lead economist) already stated that this disparity is intentional and isn’t going to change. Though in reality I doubt he actually meant intentional, what he meant was that it doesn’t matter, it isn’t his job to keep the economy in an equitable and enjoyable state for players. His job is to ensure the in game economy doesn’t interfere with ANet making a profit in the real world economy.

You want this crap dealt with? You want a reasonable and equitable game economy? Stop feeding ANet’s bank account until they do something about it.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Damask

Tao.5096

Exactly. Exotic armor is fine, the extra 5% is negligible, you can play just fine without them. Besides, if you are at the point of crafting ascended, you should have enough golds and material already in storage. The only problem you should have is the gated material, it’s tough waiting out the days to get everything. But hey that’s part of the fun and when you finally craft it, it would be so gratifying.

There are multiple ways to achieve that.

Simple Gather -> Sell -> Buy makes you skip the time gate and contribute to market double time.

Also, let’s not forget that now people(especially newbies) can toilet ascended gear and weapons and reroll their stats – something we didn’t have when we were dropping Hronk’s or Leftpaw’s armor/weapon boxes and so alike.

Looks like people have a problem now, because they jumped the F2P bandwagon or whatever from other game and find it difficult to adapt to Gw2’s crafting, market system and choose an efficient way for themselves to make money.

Checked, Google.com – it’s working.

Damask

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Everything is on the table. Unfortunately that table is made of Elder Wood.

steals table and puts up for sale on tp

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Damask

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

And I don’t even see why we’re on this subject. John Smith (lead economist) already stated that this disparity is intentional and isn’t going to change. Though in reality I doubt he actually meant intentional, what he meant was that it doesn’t matter, it isn’t his job to keep the economy in an equitable and enjoyable state for players. His job is to ensure the in game economy doesn’t interfere with ANet making a profit in the real world economy.

You want this crap dealt with? You want a reasonable and equitable game economy? Stop feeding ANet’s bank account until they do something about it.

No one has yet to explain why silk has to be the same price as mithril for the economy to be reasonable or equitable. For that matter, no one has explained what’s wrong with ascended being expensive.

It’s a conceptual problem, not an economic one: people like the idea of being able to farm their own mats, whereas this game deliberately pushes us to use the TP to sell unwanted items and purchase those we want with our funds.

Let’s assume that ANet wants the price of Ascended to be about the same as it has been, but they are willing to be flexible about whether the cost is mostly in cloth or more evenly divided among other mats. We’d still pay 300-500g, but total cost of Heavy, Light, and Medium would be within 10% of each other instead within the current 40%.

• Would it make any sort of real difference to the community?
  • Would people prefer this so much more than the current system that we’d want ANet to spend the time rebalancing this rather than working on new features, new rewards, or bugs?
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Damask

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

I would like it to be normalized with all the other crafting materials at 50 bolts of silk per spool of silk weaving thread. You can keep the 3 per bolt as that is the way it is with other materials.

Damask

Ayrilana.1396

Hardcore gambling is not a ‘source’ by any logic whatsoever, if anything it’s an expenditure, one for the particularly stupid and/or desperate. Anything you can get ascended gear from, you could be doing other content in the same time frame to gain more mats, gold, karma, pretty much everything in fact.

It’s a source whether you agree with it or not. If you disregard that as a source then all items that come from a drop have no source. Final Rest has no source since getting it as a drop is a gamble. Treasure Hunter items that come from the world bosses have no sources as well since it’s a gamble. Shall I go on?

A lot of the sources of ascended weapons/armor you can do from just playing the game. Not everyone farms all the time. Some may do PvP for their dailies and they can get their ascended from the loot containers off the reward tracks. Some may do guild missions and get their ascended there. Others may do Teq and Evolved Wurm. Some may do fractals. There are people that do WvW and get them from rank up chests and others that farm champ bags either from champs or from SW chest farm. You can even get them from doing jumping puzzles.

Of course all of this doesn’t matter because they’re not what you deem a logical source.

Damask

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Ain’t light armored classes farming for mats as well, just as heavy and medium armored classes? Ain’t they working hard for it as well? So why does light armored classes have to do more work than the other classes? According to this survey (https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3cwpz7/the_survey_is_now_over_here_are_the_results/), atleast one character in a race and gender, 25822 characters were light armored classes, 24230 characters were medium armored classes, and 20250 characters were heavy armored classes. A 36.7/34.5/28.8 distribution. Yet light armored classes have to collect more materials and pay more because what? Did the light armored classes petition an extra difficulty for creating ascended armor? I’M AFRAID OF WHAT THEY WILL THINK OFF IN GUILD WARS 3.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Damask

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

I posted on this like 6 months ago.