My request for achievements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

What about removing achievement points for dailies and monthlies? This would lower everyone’s APs considerably (and so might require a tweaking of the AP chest system), but would ensure those that want to max their AP don’t have grind dailies and would give others a chance to get on the leaderboards.

Not sure those at the top would like this solution though…

That would be brutally punishing to those of us that get the majority of our points from doing dailies while in WvW.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Filling a daily task list each and every day is not an achievement, its a 2nd job. The WvW achievements and rank achievements in PvP will be nerfed to realistic levels in a future patch, its already announced. So I dont see why there cant be an adjustment to the way daily/monthly achievements work.
I wouldnt even mind some sort of ingame time machine to retroactively complete living story achievements. Its a fantasy game so it should be doable for Anet.

I hate to shatter your bubble, but very few of the achievements are actually achievements. Killing X number of enemies, X number of monsters, using a weapon X number of times, those aren’t “achievements,” just measurements of how long you’ve been playing the game. Don’t even get me started on Hall of Monuments achievements. Really the only true “achievements” by any definition of the word the one time completion things like jumping puzzles, some of the things in the explorer tabs, the first pass through each dungeon. Of course, anyone who really wants to can complete all that stuff can likely do it all in under a month.

Also, since you brought it up, your current AP is 18845, of which you mentioned almost 8000 of which is from dailies, and I’m guessing another 2000+ of which is from monthlies. I’m currently sitting sitting at about 9500 AP, but I’ve only got about 2000 points from dailies, and only about 800 from monthlies, and I’m guessing A LOT of players are just like me. If there were no dailies, that massive lead you’re showing off and making a big deal of would be much much smaller.

Thats why I suggested to add a whole lot more Liadri or higher difficulty achievements. They should be so kittenly the absolute hardcore players will make them without abusing bugs/exploits.

My permanent AP are 9750 currently, I still got a few hundred of “doable” permanent achievements to go, but because of dailies I dont have much time to go for boring activities like maxing weapon master and the like.

FYI I missed the 8 orb achievement for Liadri, partly because I didnt have enough time for it, but also because I only had one lvl 80 at that time (now a 2nd) which didnt seem to do enough dmg so I always run out of time.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Personally, I’d like to see more choices added with the opportunity to score even more AP each day.

Lol no, it already takes 4-6 hours to do all dailies. That would make the daily/monthly to permanent AP ratio even more horrible

It’s not about doing all the dailies, it’s about variety of choice.

Posted by: Obelix.3751

Obelix.3751

Monthly and daily achievements are not mend to be a real achievement, just to keep people busy and keep people login regularly. Both are easy to achieve, the four monthly often within a few days w/o really a lot of effort. Would really like to see more challanging PVE content and unique rewards (gear, weaps, craft mats) for hard achievements, like hard-mode dungeons (not like fractals…) which cannot be gained otherways.

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

i like the daily, monthly system. ofc more choices will make us happyer and maybe a little harder monthly.

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Malediktus.9250

A moderator deleted one of my posts and wants me to repost it without the “rude” part, so here we go:
I dont see how they benefit from it. All we ask for is a hard cap on repeatable achievement points. It does not hurt any player to put a 10k point cap on dailies and 2.5k on montlies. The top players still need months to get there. I am top 30 EU and only have 7643 AP from dailies. All it would do is allowing us to focus on the true content of GW2 again instead of spending 6 hours a day for daily AP.

VOLKON.1290

A moderator deleted one of my posts and wants me to repost it without the “rude” part, so here we go:
I dont see how they benefit from it. All we ask for is a hard cap on repeatable achievement points. It does not hurt any player to put a 10k point cap on dailies and 2.5k on montlies. The top players still need months to get there. I am top 30 EU and only have 7643 AP from dailies. All it would do is allowing us to focus on the true content of GW2 again instead of spending 6 hours a day for daily AP.

There’s no reason for it. If you’re choosing to fill the full compliment of daily achievements every day, that’s a choice you’re making. Why should anyone else, especially people that almost solely get their APs through dailies, have to worry about a hard cap because you’ve made the personal choice to avoid some content in lieu of filling the daily list every day?

Here’s the thing, and I apologize if the wording reads as rude because that’s not the intent, but I doubt anyone else really cares about your choices to fill the dailies. Your choice doesn’t affect me or anyone else with regards to how we wish to play the game. However now you’re proposing to affect everyone else’s play in order to suit your own… you’re not going to get a lot of support there. In GW2 we have a lot of different ways to do what we want how and when we want to. Taking away choices, especially choices that have been in the game for so long, simply goes against what the game’s about.

No one else cares if you spend six hours filling the daily list because it’s your choice and not affecting anyone else’s play. However if other people’s play is forced to change by any means simply because of choices you’ve made and have decided you don’t like… well, this won’t end well.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

So will share a counter point from someone new to the game as of a couple of months. Love the fact that you need only 5 to finish the daily and then have all these extra achievements that also still be done. At first I was only doing the WvW/PvEs and then realized I could also do the PvPs, which was all the better. It made some things more intertesting and also challanged me to do a variety of things which keeps things fresh in a sense. I think capping them would be a mistake and would encourage an expansion and/or the creation of a weekly goal as well. With Weeklies you could then add specialized ones into the daily and have those build in the weeklies. An example chaneg in the daily would be find and hunt down Champion ‘x’ to encourage people to hunt down things they maye not see often or that isn’t getting as much visits. Weekly then could be Kill ‘x’ Champions on Map ‘y’ as we see in dailies. You could also add in the larger bosses once in a while to create more movement through those maps. The achievements are a fun game in a game that I wouldn’t mind seeing expanded further. Good hunting!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Malediktus.9250

I dont want to limit anyone choices, just a hard cap on daily/monthly achievement points (10k/2.5k would be just great. Casual players will likely never reach it in the next coming years, possible not even by the end of GW2s lifetime, only a select few hardcore achievement point farmers like me will reach it anytime soon.

I know I dont have to do all dailies, but then 1) Would loose my leaderboard position 2) All effort on achievements so far was wasted, because the achievement reward chests are a joke.
Not to mention the whole game is optional, so pointing it I dont have to do all dailies is just silly.

VOLKON.1290

I dont want to limit anyone choices, just a hard cap on daily/monthly achievement points (10k/2.5k would be just great. Casual players will likely never reach it in the next coming years, possible not even by the end of GW2s lifetime, only a select few hardcore achievement point farmers like me will reach it anytime soon.

I know I dont have to do all dailies, but then 1) Would loose my leaderboard position 2) All effort on achievements so far was wasted, because the achievement reward chests are a joke.
Not to mention the whole game is optional, so pointing it I dont have to do all dailies is just silly.

So you wish to deny people that prefer to get the majority of their APs from doing the daily/monthly lists from being able to do so beyond a certain point. Some people like doing it that way. Why should anyone be denied from continuing to do so simply because you don’t want to?

It’s interesting that you mention that only a select few will ever reach the cap (which makes the cap seem even more ridiculous) which gives the impression that there are a select few ahead of you that you’re targeting with this change in order to give yourself an advantage by cutting off their point supply.

This is a change that isn’t needed and will only remove choices for people as the game matures.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Malediktus.9250

I think people who get their majority of AP by temporary achievements do not deserve their leaderboard position (myself included ofc), so I want Anet to move away from the huge emphasis on temporary achievements.
Either make all permanent achievements give at least 10x as many points or limit daily/monthly. Its just plain silly that doing all dailies for 2 days gives more points than building 5 legendaries for example.

DarcShriek.5829

I think people who get their majority of AP by temporary achievements do not deserve their leaderboard position (myself included ofc), so I want Anet to move away from the huge emphasis on temporary achievements.
Either make all permanent achievements give at least 10x as many points or limit daily/monthly. Its just plain silly that doing all dailies for 2 days gives more points than building 5 legendaries for example.

I strongly disagree with you. I think the emphasis on daily awards is a good idea as it promotes daily play. Your example is not silly to me because building the legendaries involve many activities that earn achievement points. By only focusing at the capstone award, you’re neglecting all the other awards earned in the process of making the legendaries.

DarcShriek.5829

Monthly and daily achievements are not mend to be a real achievement, just to keep people busy and keep people login regularly. Both are easy to achieve, the four monthly often within a few days w/o really a lot of effort. Would really like to see more challanging PVE content and unique rewards (gear, weaps, craft mats) for hard achievements, like hard-mode dungeons (not like fractals…) which cannot be gained otherways.

Many of these harder achievements that you are asking for come from the living stories.

VOLKON.1290

And I don’t care about the leader board or people’s positions on it. Since I do mostly WvW, most of my APs come from the daily and monthly list. Why should I have to ever worry about running out of APs available to me because I choose to do a lot of WvW simply because, for some odd reason, you don’t think what I do is good enough to ever get a spot on this leader board? Who are you to decide whether or not how other people play is good enough?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Hellmasker.1649

Hellmasker.1649

@Clloydio & @Rin: I would be ecstatic with either of those solutions or a combination of both.
@Subdue: The mentioning of our current AP isn’t to brag, it’s to show how much/long we’ve dealt with this. You’re absolutely right though, almost 8k of my points are just from dailies. And most of them aren’t really achievements. Some days the WvW ones feel like achievements here on Kaineng (lol) but you’re right. It’s an arguably optional “kill ten rats” list.

REJOICE! Dwayna hath had her mercy on us; her battered and beaten, tired and taxed.
For we have held fast our ground and our loyalty to Tyria each and every day…
And it is time the Six show their blessings. Freedom for ALL doers of great and wondrous things!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The achievement point leader board should never have existed to start with. It isn’t a measure of skill but more a measure of people that play a lot more than others since launch. There is no real value in it.

They should reset it every quarter and then maybe it would mean something.

The Burninator

VOLKON.1290

The achievement point leader board should never have existed to start with. It isn’t a measure of skill but more a measure of people that play a lot more than others since launch. There is no real value in it.

If they did, the vast majority wouldn’t even notice.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Obelix.3751

Obelix.3751

Many of these harder achievements that you are asking for come from the living stories.

Sure, some living stories have hard achievements and I love those which really need personal skills or a good organized party, but in general I won’t say they are really hard to do, a lot of repeating and some pretty boring like winter event… but it’s a matter of personal preference :-)

JustTrogdor.7892

I agree. Most of us don’t care about that. I didn’t even know there was such a thing until a few months into playing and seeing it linked on this forum. My point is that achievement point leader boards don’t mean a much. There is no reason that Anet should cater to people trying to make it easier to maintain their spots on the leader boards. However, if Anet want’s to make the achievement point leader boards a thing to be noted they should reset them a few times a year. As it stands now the achievement point leader boards means, “I was here first and want to do the least possible to stay here.”

In the mean time I am working toward my achievement chests. I don’t want some cap on how many points I can get a day just to appease those in the top 100. It won’t happen anyway so I’m not sure why I am even posting here LOL

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

DarcShriek.5829

Sure, some living stories have hard achievements and I love those which really need personal skills or a good organized party, but in general I won’t say they are really hard to do, a lot of repeating and some pretty boring like winter event… but it’s a matter of personal preference :-)

If you have too many hard achievements, people will stop playing. The goal is to have the right mix of hard and easy achievements so that the maximum number of players will feel engaged. I think you will see more difficult achievements look at what we’ve gotten since August with Liadri, Tequatl, SAB, the tower, and now the current patch.

Malediktus.9250

Tequatl isnt hard, he has farm status on our server and its pug organized. Wurm will most likely follow the same fate. The marionette achieves are easy, too. Only thing that keeps me from having them all in one run is 1) bad players making a lane fail, even thought i succeeded at dodging and killing the champ 2) you cant do all 5 champs in one run

Posted by: Tyrantis.8640

Tyrantis.8640

Hi Anet Achievement team.

I wanted to chime in and say I actually love dailies and it doesn’t seem like too much to me (also a completionist)

My guild loves them as does my brother.

Can you do me a favor? Keep up the good work.

P.S. Add weeklys too!

:)

Hellmasker.1649

I agree. Most of us don’t care about that. I didn’t even know there was such a thing until a few months into playing and seeing it linked on this forum. My point is that achievement point leader boards don’t mean a much. There is no reason that Anet should cater to people trying to make it easier to maintain their spots on the leader boards. However, if Anet want’s to make the achievement point leader boards a thing to be noted they should reset them a few times a year. As it stands now the achievement point leader boards means, “I was here first and want to do the least possible to stay here.”

In the mean time I am working toward my achievement chests. I don’t want some cap on how many points I can get a day just to appease those in the top 100. It won’t happen anyway so I’m not sure why I am even posting here LOL

It couldn’t have less to do with the leaderboard for me. It’s completionist playstyle, through and through. Leaderboard rank is a side-effect. It’s like salvaging a blue item for luck, but getting an ori ore too. I don’t really care about the ore in that analogy.
You ever wanted to get 1000/1000 gamerscore on an Xbox game? Same thing. Except GW2 has far, far more in quantity and variety, and our argument is simply that these daily “achievements” are hardly achievements anymore, and they’re time gated Temporary. They’re temporary grind. And from a business standpoint, who do you think is online most? Who do you think is most likely to spend real cash on gems? Yeah, completionist AP hunters. I trust in ANet to find a happy medium at some point, I just wish they would acknowledge it. :\

REJOICE! Dwayna hath had her mercy on us; her battered and beaten, tired and taxed.
And it is time the Six show their blessings. Freedom for ALL doers of great and wondrous things!

Hellmasker.1649

I wanted to chime in and say I actually love dailies and it doesn’t seem like too much to me (also a completionist)

P.S. Add weeklys too!

You’ve got ~5100 AP right now. It’s fine if you don’t agree with our ideas but please don’t troll us.

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

P.S. Add weeklys too!

You’ve got ~5100 AP right now. It’s fine if you don’t agree with our ideas but please don’t troll us.

He can only be a completionist if he started playing at release?

JustTrogdor.7892

And from a business standpoint, who do you think is online most? Who do you think is most likely to spend real cash on gems? Yeah, completionist AP hunters. I trust in ANet to find a happy medium at some point, I just wish they would acknowledge it. :\

Why would a completionist spend more in the gem store? There is no reason for them to do so because they are just there for points that you can get without spending a single penny beyond box price.

I’ve spent over $600 in the gem store since I started playing. Achievement points didn’t drive my purchases. I made my purchases based on things I wanted.

Being online most =/= spending money by a long shot. In fact I would argue that those not concerned with completing things are more likely to spend more in the gem store to get what they want.

The Burninator

Posted by: Osi.3504

Osi.3504

Yes Nar, I am, one and the same.

Mark, I’ve tried repeatedly on the forums to get a reply and have even chatted with Izzy directly a couple times about the dailies and how completionist players like myself feel like it’s too much. To date, none of the CDI’s have really fit that category well enough for me to want to post there. Lots of us have even come up with really viable, helpful, and fair solutions to it. I guess I would just like to know how the AP team feels about it and hopefully get some insight on how much longer I “have to” slave away every day. Thank you for the reply though.

I was rank 171 on the AP leaderboards with enough perm achievements left to get myself within the top 50 ranks but due to the horrible changes that no one at ANET that seemed to think about (even when it happened the first time and got lots of rants over) or even cared when we have several threads being closed/deleted I decided to quit and take my money with me because the daily grind became wayyyyy too much for myself, it was basically a full time job with those RNG arena wins and I can tell you now that I’ve quit playing I found myself enjoying myself much more, I never minded the 1-2 hour daily, it was quick but adding the arenas were way way way too much and only feels like ANET slapped me in the face after allowing me to keep up with my daily for over a year then just change it like that, a close friend of mine who was rank 5 NA also quit over it.

That is just one of few things that are disappointing that I’ve ran across, cant even create a thread with an opinion in general discussion that gemstore rock is a rip off (800 gems/80 gold for an item it would take over a year+ of mining while having to take the time to go to a certain place to mine it to get your money back.

I had a lot of faith with ANET, thought they were a great company but all i’ve seen and felt is betrayal from these guys by looking at what really happens on the froums, you can’t give them any poor viewed constructive feedback because they will close the thread to hide it from the community and updates only drive away their dedicated players over time.

I know as just one person I don’t much mean, I’m just a % of profit to them so what I say doesn’t really matter. NCsoft gets a majority of the money from this game and it’s probably why we don’t get much in return even with record breaking profits.

Good luck getting something changed because I really don’t think it will happen.

Posted by: Osi.3504

Osi.3504

And from a business standpoint, who do you think is online most? Who do you think is most likely to spend real cash on gems? Yeah, completionist AP hunters. I trust in ANet to find a happy medium at some point, I just wish they would acknowledge it. :\

Why would a completionist spend more in the gem store? There is no reason for them to do so because they are just there for points that you can get without spending a single penny beyond box price.

I’ve spent over $600 in the gem store since I started playing. Achievement points didn’t drive my purchases. I made my purchases based on things I wanted.

Being online most =/= spending money by a long shot. In fact I would argue that those not concerned with completing things are more likely to spend more in the gem store to get what they want.

I’ve spent way more than you and I was a top AP player, dedicated players probably tend to invest perhaps I don’t know. The only reason I’m even looking at this thread is because a friend linked me it on skype lol. All the disrespect from ANET lost money from me starting this year since that’s when they ruined the AP system and converted it into nearly a full time job with RNG arena wins at the same time ignoring us here on the forums with valid reactions towards the drastic change.

Also I spent money to purchase all their skins/minis etc. as a collector and I was okay with supporting them cause I had fun and the game was casual for me to enjoy. Not anymore. If I buy something I use in game gold.

(edited by Osi.3504)

Malediktus.9250

If someone says he likes dailies and is a completionist but barely played any or none tPvP and not even close to top 1000 AP either NA or EU, I consider him to be a troll.
Same if someone says everything is fine without actually caring about achievements.

JustTrogdor.7892

If someone says he likes dailies and is a completionist but barely played any or none tPvP and not even close to top 1000 AP either NA or EU, I consider him to be a troll.
Same if someone says everything is fine without actually caring about achievements.

Well then, I guess you will consider what you want, but you are most likely wrong. You are putting too much weight on your own achievement points to try to make your point. You are mostly saying you are more important because you have more points and anyone with less than what you consider is appropriate is a troll. That is is very weak and sad argument. You are not helping your ‘completionist’ cause with such things.

The Burninator

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, you are saying only those that have played the game for a certain amount of time can be ‘completionists’? No one that, say, started last month can have an opinion about this?

Lol.

Can one only care about achievements if one is high up on the Leaderboard? What if they care about choice? What if they don’t have a personality quirk that causes them distress over not doing every Achievement? Are their opinions less valid?

What if it was against the ToS to have such a quirk and then hold ArenaNet responsible? Should ArenaNet cater to those that want to change the rules? Change the game design?

It’s fine to express an opinion about things in-game one isn’t happy with. Not so fine to dismiss opinions that may be different…at least, not so fine as far as I am concerned.

Hellmasker.1649

You clearly don’t understand. We don’t play this game solely for achievement points. We play this game because it has so much potential to be fun, when we’re not grinding dailies. We’re not here “just for points,” to assume that is simply ignorant and destructive. We want to complete everything we can along the way.
At first it was easy. There were FOUR dailies. Not 25. And they were simple and could be finished in 20 minutes. That’s why it was so easy to start the completionist hunt. Then it turned into 9. Then 13 with PvPs. Then that short ~month of requiring tourney win PvPs. Then WvW dailies. That brought us to 15. Then LS and +1 more WvW. Then it was 18. Then a second LS daily. 19. Still doable. Arena wins are really what broke this particular camel’s back. 15-19 + 8 PvPs is so excessive.

JustTrogdor.7892

You clearly don’t understand. We don’t play this game solely for achievement points. We play this game because it has so much potential to be fun, when we’re not grinding dailies.

Way to bold one part of one of my posts so I’ll do the same by sectioning off this part of your post.

Why don’t you just play to have fun then if it isn’t such a big deal? Answer that directly please.

The Burninator

Subdue.5479

You clearly don’t understand. We don’t play this game solely for achievement points. We play this game because it has so much potential to be fun, when we’re not grinding dailies. We’re not here “just for points,” to assume that is simply ignorant and destructive. We want to complete everything we can along the way.
At first it was easy. There were FOUR dailies. Not 25. And they were simple and could be finished in 20 minutes. That’s why it was so easy to start the completionist hunt. Then it turned into 9. Then 13 with PvPs. Then that short ~month of requiring tourney win PvPs. Then WvW dailies. That brought us to 15. Then LS and +1 more WvW. Then it was 18. Then a second LS daily. 19. Still doable. Arena wins are really what broke this particular camel’s back. 15-19 + 8 PvPs is so excessive.

Yea… your statements completely contradict themselves. You may not be here “just for points”, but points are certainly what you’re arguing about. The “potential for fun”, doesn’t change no matter how many dailies they add. You know what does change? The potential for points.

Simply put, you don’t want to work for those points, which is perfectly fine. I don’t want to work for those points either. I typically skip the last 2 pvp dailies, and most of the WvW dailies. What’s not fine is that you’ve decided because you don’t want to do them, other people shouldn’t be allowed to benefit from them either. That’s the problem we have against your position.

You clearly don’t understand. We don’t play this game solely for achievement points. We play this game because it has so much potential to be fun, when we’re not grinding dailies.

Way to bold one part of one of my posts so I’ll do the same by sectioning off this part of your post.

Why don’t you just play to have fun then if it isn’t such a big deal? Answer that directly please.

I laughed.

Hellmasker.1649

I do, after dailies. Sometimes during dailies, but it depends on the day.

Yea… your statements completely contradict themselves. You may not be here “just for points”, but points are certainly what you’re arguing about. The “potential for fun”, doesn’t change no matter how many dailies they add. You know what does change? The potential for points.

Simply put, you don’t want to work for those points, which is perfectly fine. I don’t want to work for those points either. I typically skip the last 2 pvp dailies, and most of the WvW dailies. What’s not fine is that you’ve decided because you don’t want to do them, other people shouldn’t be allowed to benefit from them either. That’s the problem we have against your position.

If I wanted not to do them badly enough, I wouldn’t do them. If I can suggest or inspire a way for ANet to make them easier for AP hunters everywhere and not hinder the common player, then I’ll have succeeded. If you don’t get it yet, you won’t, but it’s not about the leaderboard. I wouldn’t mind if they took the AP one down.
Regardless of what ANet does or does not do, I will continue to do my best in the way of achievement points, as that playstyle appeals to me. And regardless of what disagreement comes at me and what form it takes, I will continue to plead for a simpler, more time-friendly system, be that a per-day cap or an overall hard cap. There has to be a way, and it would breathe new life into this game for myself and my fellow hunters.

JustTrogdor.7892

So for you fun is second to points? This is a game and the object of participating in a game is to have fun. If you can’t prioritize that I don’t feel sorry for you.

The Burninator

Hellmasker.1649

So for you fun is second to points? This is a game and the object of participating in a game is to have fun. If you can’t prioritize that I don’t feel sorry for you.

Like I said, if you don’t get it, you never will. Points are fun in a way, but when I have a time limit (one day, 7pm is reset for me) there is pressure to finish them so I’m not missing out. Some days, depending on what the dailies are, that doesn’t leave a lot of time for ‘just fun,’ which is almost always WvW.
Either way, I never asked for you to feel sorry.

JustTrogdor.7892

Like I said, if you don’t get it, you never will. Points are fun in a way, but when I have a time limit (one day, 7pm is reset for me) there is pressure to finish them so I’m not missing out. Some days, depending on what the dailies are, that doesn’t leave a lot of time for ‘just fun,’ which is almost always WvW.

Yet you want to change the game and cap points to fit into your play style which is not so much based on fun but to keep up on a leader board with fun coming later if it fits in. This is something that would have a huge affect on everyone one else, the 99% of the player base. For some reason you top 100 folks seem to think that your ‘completion’ effort is more valuable than everyone else and you threaten to quit or not buy gems. Look at your buddy ‘Malediktus’ above who says if you don’t have X amount of points you are a troll and don’t matter.

The major fail really is having an achievement point leader board to start with. Anet should either nuke it or reset it with updates. Mostly just nuke it because all it is at this point is a measure of people that started playing first. If they nuked it then maybe you could start playing for fun. What do you say?

The Burninator

Hellmasker.1649

Yet you want to change the game and cap points to fit into your play style which is not so much based on fun but to keep up on a leader board with fun coming later if it fits in. This is something that would have a huge affect on everyone one else, the 99% of the player base. For some reason you top 100 folks seem to think that your ‘completion’ effort is more valuable than everyone else and you threaten to quit or not buy gems. Look at your buddy ‘Malediktus’ above who says if you don’t have X amount of points you are a troll and don’t matter.

The major fail really is having an achievement point leader board to start with. Anet should either nuke it or reset it with updates. Mostly just nuke it because all it is at this point is a measure of people that started playing first. If they nuked it then maybe you could start playing for fun. What do you say?

/sigh
For the third or fourth time now, wanting to finish everything has nothing to do with the leaderboard. Malediktus was simply pointing out that you can’t have completed every single achievement ever if you weren’t here at launch. And as far as having a “huge” effect on “99%” of everyone, I’ve stated several times that I would ideally avoid that.
If they did away with the leaderboard completely, half of the argument against capping daily achieves would go out the window, so if getting rid of the leaderboard is step one, I’d sign up. I’d still want to do my best to finish all the dailies though.

JustTrogdor.7892

Malediktus was simply pointing out that you can’t have completed every single achievement ever if you weren’t here at launch.

Oh that is what this means:

Malediktus.9250:

The Burninator

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have to say I’m confused. If wanting less daily achievements has nothing to do with the Leaderboard, why would someone who didn’t care about the Leaderboard place their Leaderboard ranking in their signature?

Still, let’s say it does have nothing to do with keeping one’s rank on the Leaderboard. Why should their be less choices for everyone because some do not want to do all the achievements? Why can’t some people just not choose to do everything on offer? If some people do not care for PvP, they can choose not to play that part of the game, even though it is offered. If some people find it tiresome to do Jumping Puzzles, they can choose not to complete them…even though the game offers that content. Why should Daily or Monthly Achievements be any different?

It seems to me that more choice is always a good thing. But, that’s just me.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Just like the topic of Ewon from the old suggestions forum, non-completionnist people like some who posted here already dont understand the problem and think we, ap hunters, want to stay at the top without efforts. That is not the problem here, the suggestions that have been brought to make it better for everyone, dont even affect non-completionnists and reduce the very grindy aspect of hunting for AP. How is that affect you folks ?

It’s a simple fact that it requires way too much time to complete all. When you go for those extra achievement points, you dont have much time left to actually play contents that you would like to do. The problem of the daily gradually increased as they added more dailies, then dailies for each new living stories to complete the related meta achievements, but still, it was doable in decent amount of time. The really big troubles came with the december update and the new pvp dailies which triple/quadrupled the amount of time required to complete all the dailies related to the pvp. How is that normal to have to spend more time to do 1 full pvp daily than a monthly pvp ?

So please, dont just turn down the completionnists with simple WRONG ideas like we want to stay forever on the leaderboard or we should play even more to keep our position, that is not the problem here.

So then don’t complete them all?

I’m sure you don’t need to be told…but you realize it’s purely optional right? You choose to do it or not. If it takes to much time then just don’t do it?

If you want a top spot on the leader board then invest the effort but don’t try to have that system changed because all of a sudden “it’s to much work”.

And why should everyone else trying to get a lot of ap not have the same opportunity that you have/had?

I feel like this is an elaborate troll. Asking for the game to be changed because you don’t know how to manage your time is just..I don’t even know.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Subdue.5479

I have to say I’m confused. If wanting less daily achievements has nothing to do with the Leaderboard, why would someone who didn’t care about the Leaderboard place their Leaderboard ranking in their signature?

Still, let’s say it does have nothing to do with keeping one’s rank on the Leaderboard. Why should their be less choices for everyone because some do not want to do all the achievements? Why can’t some people just not choose to do everything on offer? If some people do not care for PvP, they can choose not to play that part of the game, even though it is offered. If some people find it tiresome to do Jumping Puzzles, they can choose not to complete them…even though the game offers that content. Why should Daily or Monthly Achievements be any different?

Nah, it’s not just you. All of us “trolls” that make up 99% of the player base feel the same way.

JustTrogdor.7892

And why should everyone else trying to get a lot of ap not have the same opportunity that you have/had?

Because it is too hard. They have to spend hours not having fun to get their AP. It just isn’t fair to them. :P

The Burninator

Hellmasker.1649

Really not sure where you’re getting that there’d be less choice, I’ve said from the beginning that I wouldn’t take anyone’s choices away. My rank is in my signature to indicate how much of the daily AP grind I’ve endured. I’ve mentioned both of those points at least once each.

Hellmasker.1649

Because it is too hard. They have to spend hours not having fun to get their AP. It just isn’t fair to them. :P

If you don’t agree that’s fine and you’ve said your piece, not sure why you’re still posting here.

Nah, it’s not just you. All of us “trolls” that make up 99% of the player base feel the same way.

If you don’t agree that’s fine and you’ve said your piece, not sure why you’re still posting here.

fellyn.5083

Its amusing Anet gives infractions for pointing out obvious trolls, but the trolls are allowed to post whatever, just because they might sound reasonable on first look. But as soon as you look at their AP and PvP rankings they are quickly uncovered.
One more reason to loose faith in this company.

What’s really amusing is that you have some arbitrary number in mind that determines who is a troll and who isn’t based solely on their AP and pvp ranking.

fellyn.5083

He probably keeps posting in this thread because you’re so much fun.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No longer in signature. Well, that’s interesting.

If there wouldn’t be less choice, then there would be the same amount (if not more) Achievement points and their related tasks offered each day. Great! We are on the same page. =)

Choice is always a good thing!

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

After posting some comments here, and reading the responses and reading a little more of the thread, there are 5 things I want to say:::

(1) – No one on this thread is a Troll, Low AP guys or High AP guys, and the fact that there are posters saying that someone should be ignored because they don’t even have 10,000 AP, and the fact that there are posters saying the opposite is not really helping this discussion at all.

(2) – There does seem to be a disconnect with what was being suggested at first, and there are several different suggestions going around as well. There is one suggestion asking for a hard limit of 5 AP a day for dailies, no matter how many dailies you do, and there is another that is calling for a hard cap of 10,000 (or 5,000 or whatever) AP on Dailies period, and there are actually issues with both…

On the 5 AP cap a day, there is a problem with that, because there isn’t anyone who is going to do something for nothing*, and the reason why alot of things get done in this game is bcause of the dailies that award something for doing it.

*If you did something for fun, then it wasn’t for nothing. If you did something that wasn’t fun and still got an AP, then it also wasn’t for nothing.

On the Daily AP cap (that is in the many thousands somewhere) , that has issue as well, because if you cap it at 5,000, and there are many players that have 7,000+ from dailies will see a drop in their Achievement points very suddenly, ticking alot of them off. If you cap it at 10,000, that kind of just sounds like an abitrary limit that posters in this thread so far have set because they are kind of close to that number, and there may be players that are already at that number, or passed that number. If you cap it at 20,000, then no casual player will ever reach that limit. Some AP hunters are going to keep doing what they see as ‘unfun’ anyways and reach that number within a year, and others are just going to stop playing because of the unreachable goal.

Setting a hard cap on anything isn’t going to impress everyone, and any one of these solutions is going to tick off a large part of the player base no matter what.

(3) – Daily Achievements, are not really Achievements…. Oh look! I gathered 20 items….Oh Joy! I slaughtered 20 helpless rabbits, frogs, snakes, raccoons, and misquitos…. OH SNAP! I talked to a Laurel Vendor….wait, what?

Those are achievements? More like things I was going to do anyways. There isn’t really a reason for these to count towards a leaderboard anyways, but, that isn’t enough of a reason to get rid of them, not without ticking off alot of players….or is there a way to make everyone happy? Leads me to the next thing I was to say….

(4) – I want to suggest that Anet doesn’t touch the way Daily Achievements work in the game at all. Instead, I suggest that a Leaderboard get made for all Achievement Points, and a Seperate Leaderboard gets made for Permanent Achievements, Daily Achievements, and Monthly Achievements. The game tracks all of those seperately, and The Online Leaderboards Needs to be Expanded anyways.

You can’t really complain about that. You can stop doing dailies, and still be on top of a leaderboard because you did all the permanent achievements. If you don’t want to do all dailies…so what? you drop down the ranking in the overall leaderboard. You’re still on top in the Permanent AP board.

(5) – I have 7,714 AP. 5003 are permanent, 2013 are daily, and 698 are monthly. I’m not at the bottom, nor am I anywhere close to the top. I am in the top 90% of players with AP, though, anyone with over 3,500 AP is in the top 90%.

What does that mean? A VAST MAJORITY of Players in Guild Wars 2 don’t even have Achievement points at the levels we are talking about. That doesn’t mean that we should be ignoring anyone with less AP, or more AP.

It doesn’t matter if you have 20,000 AP, or 0 AP. Any changes to the system still affects all of us, and everyone should be entitled to their opinion on any changes made. It doesn’t matter who you are. But when you come up with a solution, it should be a meaningful solution to the problem that has as little of an effect on as many people as possible.