Death/Downed Camera...

Death/Downed Camera...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

EDIT: I don’t play WvW / PvP

What is up with the camera while downed? When I’m revived I’m looking at the ground – not helpful to pull myself out of the situation.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Zakurai.7290

Zakurai.7290

Yeah I’m a little annoyed with the camera changing to view your downed character. It makes no sense, especially in WvW/EotM when you want to see where the zerg went to let people know etc.

Sorrow’s Furnace

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I’m more than a little annoyed at the camera. If I go down during a dungeon I want to be able to watch the fight. I reposition the camera then 2 seconds later….OH look camera is floating away again. UGH. NO camera stay put. I put you where I wanted you. It really makes me feel sick when the camera won’t stay in one place. I tried holding it in one place but even then it still breaks free from my grasp and floats off. Okay…float off once when I die, but if I move it back for goodness sake PLEASE let me reposition it and let it stay put.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It is very annoying, and difficult to control. I’ve been in situations before where the bubbles for say weren’t enough for people to find me due to nearby obstructions.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Yeah I’m a little annoyed with the camera changing to view your downed character. It makes no sense, especially in WvW/EotM when you want to see where the zerg went to let people know etc.

We was annoyed to be told by dead players where we gone, so this change is a nice touch on keeping dead people dead. It is the wery same when we go out & play Airsoft, it is not allowed to communicate in any way if you’re out of game. For a good reason.
I really hope you know what I’m speaking about. Right?

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m hoping this is a bug, as it really is quite irritating

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: samuelrl.2463

samuelrl.2463

Let me choose a party member to watch carry on the battle, instead of just staring at my dead corpse. Good idea.

They already have this in the arenas, so it shouldn’t be too hard for them to implement in PvE.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

We had this death camera before. ANET removed it because it was trash. ANET has put it back in the game with the NPE patch. Odds of re-removal? Slim. It’s probably in the chineese client, and they want to keep the code bases as similar as possible…

ANET – making GW2 a worse game, one patch at a time.

Death/Downed Camera...

Djinn.9245

I don’t PvP (WvW, whatever), so if this was in response to something going on there then let this change only happen there. If I’m in a PvE map, dungeon, etc. it is very inconvenient. I want to be able to see a mob that is low health so I might rally. Or see what my party members are doing in a dungeon, etc.

Its really lame.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Death/Downed Camera...

Zakurai.7290

We was annoyed to be told by dead players where we gone, so this change is a nice touch on keeping dead people dead. It is the wery same when we go out & play Airsoft, it is not allowed to communicate in any way if you’re out of game. For a good reason.

I know what you’re meaning. However, if I’m on my way to our T3 keep and I get rushed from behind, I want to warn my fellow players to let them know there’s X amount of players. A server is suppose to work together so yeah, I’d want to be able to warn people so they can defend something we worked to get and upgrade. Basically, I know what you’re saying but I don’t agree.

As for other aspects of the game, dungeon’s is certainly one place I’d like to be able to see what my party is doing and to know how soon it’ll be until I get a res. And even in PvE to see if I can see other players coming to my aid on map.

Sorrow’s Furnace

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t WvW. I PvE, and in dungeons I have no option to rez until everyone’s dead or the fight’s over.

I literally get sick to my stomach when the camera spins like that. Anything spinning or flickering in my visual field does that to me as my eyes jitter to follow the motion. In WoW I had to ask guildies to turn off their shaman orbs whirling around their bodies when we were all sitting in a group RP I couldn’t leave. At home I make my husband turn off the ceiling fan when we’re watching TV together.

And in GW2 I was one of the voices crying out to end the death spin and one of the rejoicers when ANet listened.

Please listen again, ANet. Please!

Death/Downed Camera...

Djinn.9245

If it only affected WvW/PvP that would be fine. But I don’t play those and it is affecting my game play. That is not acceptable.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, I noticed this too. Dang it, ANet, I thought we’ve been over this before! Stop the camera doing that silly “hover turn” over my corpse after I’m dead. At least let me view the action going on around me while I wait to respawn without having to readjust my camera every 2 seconds!

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If it only affected WvW/PvP that would be fine. But I don’t play those and it is affecting my game play. That is not acceptable.

Hmm, interesting plan. Who wants to be a dead spy tonight?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I reported this as a bug and encourage everyone to do the same.

It’s extremely irritating in WVW to die mid-fight and not be able to watch the rest of the fight because the camera force-pans.

How did something like this slip through QA?

I strongly support time-limiting the defeated state but the forced camera pan has got to go.

downed state is bad for PVP

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Some of you guys really don’t understand that this is kind of cheating.
You can happy that screen isn’t blacked out. YET.

“Only Dead Man Not Talks”

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Some of you guys really don’t understand that this is kind of cheating.
You can happy that screen isn’t blacked out. YET.

“Only Dead Man Not Talks”

Maybe we should ban voice coms too because it’s kind of cheating.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Erm … Hold down Right click.. drag mouse to see around… but first n foremost … WP WHEN DEAD! -.-

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

WP WHEN DEAD! -.-

That’s usually what I do.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Annette.6278

Annette.6278

I was really upset by this change of camera when you’re dead. I wanna see what is happening while i’m lying. I just feel that i’m losing control of situation. It isn’t funny. =(

GW2 is almost a perfect MMORPG. Please, DON"T make it in such way like we are stupid.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Camera used to zoom in all the way on your character when you got downed.

• Players requested this to stop as we constantly had to immediately zoom out again to where we had our camera in a frenzy so we could see what was going on and to target enemies to attack and possibly rally on.
  • This was corrected last year so your camera didn’t zoom all the way in any longer
  • There was much rejoicing
  • It later resurfaced earlier this year and was heavily reported again as being an issue
  • It remains unfixed
  • There is still much frustration and sadness

Camera used to spin around when you were dead even if you were holding your mouse button down but not actively turning your camera at all. If you were not actively moving your camera then it would quickly take control and rotate it for you.

• Players requested this to stop as we constantly had to fight with the camera rotating against our will and keeping us from see what was going on around our corpses.
  • This was corrected so your camera didn’t rotate around your corpse when you died
  • There was much rejoicing
  • It has now resurfaced due to the above-mentioned China client having the rotation in their version, which is fundamentally the same version that we now have
  • There is much frustration and sadness
| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I myself am more angry that you actually don’t hear any dialogues (in and out of cutscenes) if you’re dead; just the defeated-music. Made me want to punch something a couple of times already in dungeons and the like.

Death/Downed Camera...

Djinn.9245

Everyone who is talking about WvW is not addressing the OP. This is not what I’m talking about (and technically these posts should be deleted).

I’m talking about running with a party in a PvE map or a dungeon. I don’t want to WP away from my party or in the case of a dungeon I can’t.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As someone else said this is how it used to work at launch and it got changed in a patch so that if you positioned the camera it would stay where you put it instead of floating away.

Considering reverting it wasn’t mentioned in the patch notes I’m guessing it’s a mistake and will be fixed again at some point, hopefully soon.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Death/Downed Camera...

Zakurai.7290

Well every aspect of the game is affected. I happened to mention WvW because that’s where I first noticed it and that’s where I’ve been playing mostly since the update due to further levelling a character.

It’s still addressing the topic since as you can see every part of the game is affected by the camera change. And to be fair, you never directly stated a specific area, you just mentioned the camera angle change being lame at the beginning so I was agreeing (and not just mentioning WvW/EotM).

Sorrow’s Furnace

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Yup, this was taken out of the game for a reason – it shouldn’t have come back.

Death/Downed Camera...

khani.4786

Erm … Hold down Right click.. drag mouse to see around… but first n foremost … WP WHEN DEAD! -.-

1. Holding down right click doesn’t keep the camera steady. It breaks free and floats around.
2. when you’re in a dungeon you can’t waypoint until the fight is over and everyone is out of combat.

This camera stupidness needs to stop now.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

Arenanet, how about letting us view the camera view from one of our party mates, as in GW1. That was a great feature!

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

On the one hand, you’re dead so you should not be able to communicate enemy movements to your team, you’re supposed to way point as soon as possible to rejoin them .
On the other hand, in dungeons I can see how this would be upsetting because you can’t way point until everyone dies or the living break away from combat.

Death/Downed Camera...

Djinn.9245

If this camera garbage is to stop “spying” in WvW, obscure vision of dead characters in some way or something. What happens there shouldn’t affect the rest of us so badly.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

If this camera garbage is to stop “spying” in WvW, obscure vision of dead characters in some way or something. What happens there shouldn’t affect the rest of us so badly.

it’s not. i’m sure it’s just a bug and/or it’s a bad merge from the chinese client repo.

downed state is bad for PVP

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-fix-the-dead-camera

I made this earlier as I didn’t know there was already a topic opened on this. This was fixed for probably over a year. Before that time it was as you see it in the game now. Very irritating and uncontrollable.

Please revert to the way you had the camera fixed before the feature patch, or if you so choose Anet, pls implement an option to choose whether or not we want to suffer the way it is now or tick a box to have it go back to the way it was.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Huh, I can see how it would be frustrating for it to restart the spinning. Perhaps there is a happy middle ground where it starts out spinning then once you move the camera it stops.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I could live with that compromise, Branden.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Huh, I can see how it would be frustrating for it to restart the spinning. Perhaps there is a happy middle ground where it starts out spinning then once you move the camera it stops.

I think this is a VERY happy middle ground.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

This sounds fantastic. Anyone who likes the death camera still gets to enjoy it. Anyone who wants to reposition their camera to see can without issue.

On a related note, I know that FoV/zoom do change a little bit when you normally die. If you’re in a boss battle, however, where you’re granted better FoV/zoom for the duration of the battle and you die, you’ve now got drastically less visibility while you’re out of the fight! Is it possible to scale the post-death max zoom and FoV based off of the pre-death max zoom and FoV?

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Or we can just not have spinning and let us have camera control.

Or an option to disable “puke imminent function on downed state”. I’d be okay with this too.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Also, siege camera. Has it been mentioned?

1. Use arrow cart
2. Camera floats off into the direction the AC is facing
3. Turn your camera towards the zerg
4. Start firing when the zerg has already gone past
5. Look behind you to see whats going on
6. Leave AC
7. Camera floats off

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I would still prefer it not to float at all. There’s no reason in it apart from “it’s pretty”, and since many threads have popped on the forums again, we can say that many people find it very annoying instead.

Automation is good when it helps and is on demand (“consume stack of 250” button after 2 years, anyone?); automation is bad when it starts on it’s own will, without a reason, making players perform unnecessary actions to stop it, and serves no practical purpose.

Or you could attach a tracker to the camera spin and after a while check how many people (who aren’t browsing the map) in different game modes cancel that spinning and after what time

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Marseee.2938

Marseee.2938

Please. Personally, this has been the most annoying feature that was added last patch.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I agree with you on that as being a good compromise.
Another alternative would be to allow an on-screen element to become visible upon death where you can toggle the rotation on or off, and this setting would persist across deaths and game sessions. I picture it similar to the “Interact [F]” splash on the screen located at 4 o’clock, but I picture the toggle being located at about 2 o’clock. Could even develop other elements for the other areas of the clock face for different things in the future.

Also:
Can you please give us any word on if you will look into re-fixing the issue of the camera auto full zooming in upon becoming downed? It had been a serious issue and was corrected so the camera would stop doing that, but it got reintroduced again earlier in the year and has not been addressed again.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

It worked exactly like that for quite a while. And I was really happy about it, because I made a post describing that action and got a developer quoting me and saying “sounds solid.”

It seems to have been broken in a recent patch, though.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

Or we can just not have spinning and let us have camera control.

Or an option to disable “puke imminent function on downed state”. I’d be okay with this too.

all i can see for this now is a flashing message on the screen “PUKE IMMINENT, PUKE IMMINENT, ABORT ABORT” XD

Fix what you have before you build something new

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Exactly. In airsoft, ‘dead men don’t talk’. I think this is a kitten good idea.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

For some of us, this camera behavior is seriously nausea inducing. I’m already out of play – why should I have to get physically ill as a result?

Yes, sometimes waypointing is an option – but as has already been mentioned in the thread, sometimes it’s either not an option, or not a good idea at the time.

Death/Downed Camera...

Djinn.9245

Why have it at all?

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Bunnikk.2146

Bunnikk.2146

As another poor soul prone to motion sickness, please give me the option to turn this feature off. or let me re-position the camera once and have it stay there until I move it again.

[RAWR] Monsters of Tyria
Monster of choice – Kitsune
Megaserver formerly known as Blackgate

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here is the patch note from March 26, 2013:

• Automatic camera rotation while defeated will no longer restart after the camera is moved.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-March-26-2013/first#post1856151

So, I’m confused about why there would be a middle ground. Just re-enable the previous feature that was ‘broken’ in the patch.

Death/Downed Camera...

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I’m all for this! No longer spinning circles of death..reminds me of the mac spinning beach ball of…death x.x Connection!

Death/Downed Camera...

khani.4786

Yes please. It can start, but once I move the camera myself please let it stay put.

Here is the patch note from March 26, 2013:

• Automatic camera rotation while defeated will no longer restart after the camera is moved.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-March-26-2013/first#post1856151

So, I’m confused about why there would be a middle ground. Just re-enable the previous feature that was ‘broken’ in the patch.

This…please put this camera back. I miss it so much.